Repairing the Damage by Kaona
Summary: Instead of the Weasleys coming to get Harry in the flying car, Snape shows up at Privet Drive to rescue him, because he did not not show up for the start of his second year at Hogwarts. Will eventually be a Snape-adopts-Harry fic.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 8656 Read: 52246 Published: 15 Jul 2008 Updated: 04 Oct 2010
Inexcusable Actions by Kaona

Severus could not believe he was currently sitting in the Headmaster’s office, discussing Harry Potter's well-being. Why did Dumbledore expect him to care that the boy had neglected to show up to Hogwarts for his second year? Dumbledore should be having a conversation such as this with Minerva McGonagall, or perhaps Filius Flitwick. Did Dumbledore think that, at some point, Severus had shown the slightest bit of emotion when it came to Potter, other than extreme dislike?

“Headmaster, I fail to see any reason to be concerned. It is quite apparent to me that the boy has decided he is too good for Hogwarts and does not wish to put the effort into learning, let alone attending school at all,” Severus said, the great disdain that he had for the boy apparent in his voice.

“You haven’t taken the time to get to know him, Severus. I am sure he will surprise you considerably once you do.”

“When have I ever expressed an interest in getting to know him?" Severus asked, arching an eyebrow. Then, he came very close to groaning audibly. The old man had plans, of course. Albus always had plans. And ulterior motives, which Severus knew all too well. “Don’t tell me you’re going to send me to check on the boy. As I’ve assured you many times during this meeting, Potter is fine!”

“It is already the third day of term. I firmly believe that he would owl the school, at the very least, to inform us if he did not wish to return. I believe my concerns are very valid, as should you. I wish for you to go and check on the boy, Severus.” Dumbledore said, his face betraying no emotion other than concern.

“Very well,” Snape said, sounding resigned. He made his way to the door, but paused a few steps before it and turned to face Albus again. "And what would you have me do, Headmaster, once I have retrieved the boy?" Severus asked rather grudgingly.

“Do as you see fit, Severus. I trust your judgement. Send an owl with an update on his condition as soon as possible. That is all I ask of you," Dumbledore said.

All you ask, Severus fumed. You ask a great deal, old man... Exiting the Headmaster's office, he hurriedly walked through the halls. He paid no mind to the students he passed by, most of them shooting a rather frightened glance in his direction. Snape walking in even more of a hurry than usual was never a good sign.

He did not pay his surroundings any attention until he reached the entrance to his quarters. Angry thoughts were still whirring through his mind about being asked to complete this particular task. Dumbledore had many other professors at his disposal that would have been better suited to do it, and would have been overjoyed to be able to do anything involving the Boy Who Lived.

Severus glanced around the hall swiftly before muttering a password. He seized his travel cloak from its hanger, donning it quickly and rushing out the door. The disgruntled potions master spoke to no one as he made his way to Hogsmeade... though this was customary behaviour for him on a normal day. He apparated once he was only a few feet into Hogsmeade.

Severus soon found himself on Privet Drive. Glancing around to make sure that he had not been seen, he took in the street. The houses were similar in size, and all had perfectly manicured lawns. Spotting number four, he swiftly approached the house, stepping over the low garden wall and walking up to the front door. It hadn't occurred to him to change into less conspicuous clothing, but he shrugged the thought aside. He raised a hand and knocked on the door tentatively.

A few moments later, he was face to face with what he could only identify as a disgusting creature. There are no words for this, Severus thought, thankful that very few muggles were anything like the abomination standing before him. It was not the man's size that troubled him. It was the plain lack of hygiene that the man possessed and lack of anything remotely resembling manners. The man, whom he assumed must be the boy's uncle, eyed him with a look of utter loathing.

“Are you here for the Potter boy?” he asked loudly. Dumbledore had mentioned early on during their meeting that the Dursleys were frightened of magic. The thought of them being frightened of him did not faze him. Severus could smell alcohol on the man's breath, which certainly explained why Potter’s uncle did not seem the least bit frightened.

“Yes, I have come to escort Potter to Hogwarts,” Severus said, trying his best not the sneer at the man.

“I told him he wasn’t to go back to his freak school,” Vernon all but shouted, slurring his words slightly. “He’s nothing but a burden to this household!"

Severus ignored the man's remarks. "And where is Potter right now?"

“Cupboard under the stairs,” Vernon muttered in reply. Snape kept his expression blank and nodded, though he was somewhat taken aback that Potter had been living in a cupboard. He made his way through the hall and to the cupboard door. His last thought before he entered the tiny cupboard was one of slight concern for the Potter boy, although he had no idea why.

Severus took in his surroundings. The first thing he noticed was a small mattress on the floor. Potter was on it, curled up in a ball. He had a considerable amount of blood on his shirt, and was breathing shallowly. He appeared to be barely conscious.

“It’s going to be alright, Potter. We shall portkey to my residence in a moment. Grab on to the portkey Potter, that’s it…” Severus said, holding out an old watch and watching the boy open his eyes slightly and grab onto it with shaky hands.

A few hours later, Severus was still shocked. This was highly unusual for him, as he'd seen many horrendous things while in the Dark Lord's service. Dumbledore had not exactly praised the Dursleys, but Severus always had been under the impression that the boy's relatives treated him with decency, if not cherished him.

The potions master did what he could for the boy. He had taken him straight upstairs and into one of the empty bedrooms, where he placed him gently on a rather roomy mattress. He performed all of the healing spells that he was comfortable with casting without injuring the boy further, and summoned quite a few different potions, including a basic healing potion and Dreamless Sleep Potion, so the boy wouldn't toss and turn while having a dream, injuring himself further. Once he was finally certain that he had tended to the boy's injuries to the best of his ability, he made his way downstairs to contact Dumbledore.

“He has multiple broken bones, Albus! How do you think it happened?" Severus yelled, infuriated at the old man in the fireplace before him.

“Where would you have had me put him, Severus? With a family that could easily turn him over to Voldemort? Perhaps with parents that would favour him over their own children only because of his name? Very strong wards have been put in place there for his protection, and wards of that type simply cannot be recreated at another location.”

“You can’t tell me you could not have found another location to put him at where he would be away from all of the fame,” Severus said scathingly. "The explanations you’ve given mean nothing. I don't even care that it's Potter! No child deserves to be mistreated the way this boy has!"

"I did what I thought was best for Harry at the time," Albus stated rather emphatically, as though that settled the matter.

"The child has been beaten senselessly by his uncle and that's all you have to say? The issue that you raised about the wards is not an acceptable explanation either! And don’t you dare attempt to tell me that wards of a similar strength could not have been put up at any other place,” Snape snarled. “He’s just been another one of your pawns, hasn’t he, Albus? It is of no consequence to you who pays the price in the end, as long as everything goes according to your plans!”

“Severus, I—” Dumbledore began.

Snape was through with the old man's explanations. He was finished listening to his flawed logic and pleas for understanding. And he was absolutely furious. “Don’t bother with attempting to make contact with either of us. As it is, you will be lucky if the boy so much as utters a word to you ever again! I shall contact you when I feel like doing so,” Severus said and then paused, his eyes flashing dangerously.

Dumbledore opened his mouth to speak again. "Severus—"

“This conversation is over,” the potions master said irately. He shot Dumbledore one last infuriated look and then disconnected from the floo network.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1619