Repairing the Damage by Kaona
Summary: Instead of the Weasleys coming to get Harry in the flying car, Snape shows up at Privet Drive to rescue him, because he did not not show up for the start of his second year at Hogwarts. Will eventually be a Snape-adopts-Harry fic.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 8656 Read: 52249 Published: 15 Jul 2008 Updated: 04 Oct 2010
The Photo Album by Kaona

After a few uneventful days of the potions master taking care of the boy, he was finally awake and alert. Since Severus had brought him to his residence, the boy had slept almost constantly. The potions master had been slightly concerned at first, but then quickly came to the conclusion that Potter's body was trying to recover from its injuries. One of the potions he had been giving the boy also had a side effect of drowsiness, which only exacerbated the matter.

Severus had appeared at the doorway of Harry’s room moments after the boy awoke from his lengthy slumber. “Potter, do you require anything at the moment? I have a complex potion simmering in the lab and it cannot be left unattended for more than a few minutes.”

“No, I just,” Harry began, pausing hesitantly. “wanted to ask you something. I'll make it quick."

After discovering that Potter was not the pampered prince he had previously assumed him to be, Severus had been telling himself that what he had been feeling was not a hint of remorse over how he had treated him. After all, the fact that the boy had been abused did not change that he was an insolent brat with no regard for rules.

“Go ahead, Potter."

“I'm just wondering if you know when I can go back to Hogwarts."

“Potter, as I am sure you have gathered, many of your injuries have not yet healed. Magic can only do so much for them, I'm afraid. You shall simply have to wait for them to heal with time. During this time, you will be staying here. I have taken some time away from Hogwarts so I can remain here and make certain that you are healing properly. In return, all I ask is that you be respectful and obedient,” Severus said, refraining from stating aloud that he was unsure whether Potter actually possessed the ability to do these things.

“But why can’t I just return to Hogwarts and heal in the hospital wing?” Harry asked.

Severus held back the anger that rose inside of him. Potter was already showing signs of being ungrateful, though he probably should have expected it to happen. “The Headmaster and I believe that the Dark Lord and some of his followers may receive news of your injured state and attempt to take advantage of it. After all, the Dark Lord managed to get into the castle with ease a few months ago,” Severus said. “Now, I must return to that potion. Summon me if you require anything else, Potter. Try to get some more rest and I will check on you when I am finished with that potion.”

Becoming bored almost immediately after Snape left the room, Harry stared up at the ceiling. Too bad it’s not like the ceiling in the Great Hall, Harry thought to himself. Glancing around the room, he was rather surprised to see a digital clock to his left. His classmates would be eating lunch right about now before setting off to their next class. And Harry was stuck here with only Snape as company. Snape, who would obviously expect Harry to stay out of his way as much as possible and could barely stand the sight of him...

Knowing my luck, he thought to himself, Malfoy has already found out about all of this somehow. He could just hear it now... “What kind of wizard are you, Potter? Your muggle uncle beat the crap out of you and a teacher had to come and save you?”

Wanting something to do other than focus on his own thoughts, Harry put his hands on either side of himself and slowly pushed himself off of the bed. He grimaced as he stood up and slowly forced himself to take the few steps to where his trunk was. With some effort, he managed to get his trunk upright and dragged it over to the bed with his good arm. He struggled for a bit, but eventually managed to get the trunk onto the bed. Sitting down next to it, he opened his trunk and fumbled through the contents, carefully avoiding the sharp, broken quills that it contained. After a few moments of rummaging through it, he finally found something else he could occupy his time with: the photo album that contained pictures of his parents, and of himself when he was a baby.

He spent hours looking through the album, flipping through it more than a dozen times. His mum really had been beautiful. His parents looked as if they had been so happy together and seemed overjoyed to have a son. At least I was loved once… even if it was only up until I was a year old, Harry thought somewhat bitterly.

“I see you disregarded my request that you try to get some more rest, Mr. Potter.” a voice said rather darkly, startling Harry so much that he jumped a bit. But it was just Snape.

“I wasn’t tired enough to go back to sleep, Professor.” Harry said.

“What are you looking at?” Snape asked.

“It’s a photo album sir.” Harry said rather emotionlessly.

The boy looks upset, Severus thought to himself. He has no parents and his only remaining family doesn't even care about him. Severus suddenly felt a little less hatred towards the boy. Severus hadn’t been an orphan, but he has been as good as one, with an abusive alcoholic for a father and a mother too weak to leave the man and too scared to protect her own son. At this moment, he felt as if he could almost relate to the boy, though he swore that he would never admit it. He pushed the thoughts out of his mind.

Harry spoke again, hesitating slightly. "See, my parents are in this album. Professor Dumbledore mentioned that you knew my dad, sir. Does that mean you knew my mum too?”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1619