Faith by Aethyr
Summary: Dumbledore's plans -- and foresight -- extend far beyond what Harry could ever have imagined. A response to Scorpia's "Almost Alone" challenge.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Almost Alone
Challenges: Almost Alone
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 11663 Read: 31152 Published: 18 Jul 2008 Updated: 20 Dec 2010
Story Notes:

This was a plot-bunny that just grew and grew, and insisted on being written. I have little idea where it will go, but anticipate it being quite short.

Edit (03/16/10): Scratch the bit about it being short. I'll forecast "fewer than ten chapters", for now, and see where that takes me.

Please read and review! I shall be eternally grateful to any and all reviewers!

1. Chapter 1 by Aethyr

2. Chapter 2 by Aethyr

3. Chapter 3 by Aethyr

4. Chapter 4 by Aethyr

5. Chapter 5 by Aethyr

6. Chapter 6 by Aethyr

7. Chapter 7 by Aethyr

8. Chapter 8 by Aethyr

9. Chapter 9 by Aethyr

Chapter 1 by Aethyr

Harry Potter pushed himself onto his elbow and looked confusedly around him. His first assumption was that the complete darkness around him was due to the hour of night, and yet, even as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, he could tell that it was not quite right. His room, that is, Dudley’s second bedroom, had a window through which he could see the moon and stars from his bed. He extended a hand – he could not see it – and his fingers brushed against soft drapery.

He pulled it aside. He blinked as sunlight hit him full in the face, and again as it revealed four more bed-like shapes curtained in Gryffindor red. Puzzled, he sat on the edge of his own bed, resting his chin on his palms, and tried to figure out how he had come to Hogwarts without his knowledge; he tried to remember exactly what had occurred the previous night.

He had planned to stay awake until midnight, when Hedwig would return with his birthday present from Hermione. Waiting for Hedwig, Errol, Pigwidgeon, and the various school and hired owls was Harry’s personal birthday ritual. Yet this year, he had fallen asleep before they had arrived. He stood up, about to stretch his arms, and the soreness in his legs, shoulders, and all down his back, reminded him of why he had been so tired.

He’d had to scrub the roof yesterday. He’d been up there all day, the sun beating remorselessly down on him, his only reprieve the two trips he’d taken to the bathroom. Harry did not know whether the roof was outside of the blood wards, and had been unwilling to face his uncle’s wrath on the off-chance that Voldemort would descend upon Little Whinging in broad daylight, but he had kept his wand tucked in the waistband of his pants the entire day.

His wand! Harry patted his drawstring pajamas, relieved to find that his wand had not fallen out in transit. He pulled it from his pants, and hesitated as he held it aloft. Magic came naturally in the castle, but it was summer. His warring instincts gave way to the realization that it was his birthday – he was seventeen – and now he could do magic whenever he pleased. He triumphantly Summoned his glasses, a wide grin settling on his face as they smacked into his hand.

Now that he could see, he looked around, properly, and noticed that he had slept on top of the sheets; the bed was perfectly made, save for where he had been. There was a head-shaped indentation in the pillow, and a smaller set of creases where his glasses had slipped off his face. There were identical marks on his cheek, he found as he rubbed it. He then spotted a square of parchment on the bedside table. He Summoned that, as well.

It was in Dumbledore’s handwriting; Harry could tell at once. Being back at Hogwarts for the first time since his funeral, having expected never to return, he realized that he fiercely missed the old man. The task of finding and destroying the remaining Horcruxes seemed insurmountable without the Headmaster’s help. He turned his eyes back to the letter, hoping it contained some last trace of the man’s wisdom. It said:

 

Dear Harry,

Happy birthday. I am sorry to have missed it.

You are surprised, undoubtedly, to find yourself in your bed at Hogwarts. You were transported here, at the stroke of midnight, by Portkey. That is, I used your wand to create a timed Portkey. Forgive me for neglecting to inform you beforehand; I was incapacitated, and then dead, shortly afterwards.

Perhaps you can guess my reasons; I will write them regardless. At midnight, you became an adult. The blood wards around your aunt’s house fell, and you were therefore in mortal danger. You can imagine that Tom and all his Death Eaters would have struck precisely then. He does have a flair for dramatics.

I have one last task for you, Harry. You will likely encounter a person you hate above all others, within the castle. Keep your temper, for me, and listen to what he has to say. Appearances can be deceptive. You will need him.

You are not a boy anymore. You have become a fine young man, and I congratulate you. I am sure your parents would be proud of you, as I am.

Yours in the light,

Albus Dumbledore

 

Harry returned the note to the table, taking great care not to wrinkle it. He scrubbed surreptitiously at the wetness on his cheek, making an effort to think of the letter’s contents and not its author.

A man I hate? He furrowed his brow. Surely Dumbledore did not want him to have a nice chat with Voldemort, did he? And at Hogwarts? That was unthinkable.

He reached for the robes hanging from the bedpost. So that’s where they went, he thought, recognizing the set he’d thought the house elves had misplaced. Dumbledore had really put quite a lot of thought into this, right down to the shoes, which were not his own, but were charmed to fit. As he tied his laces, he pondered the other people at Hogwarts whom he hated.

There was Snape; an implacable, burning hatred, mingled with a fierce desire for vengeance, reared in Harry’s chest when he thought of the man. Dumbledore could not expect Harry to parley with his murderer. No, it would have to be someone else.

He made his way down to the empty common room and flopped onto a couch. The lack of other students made him uneasy, though it was perfectly natural at this time of year. Maybe Dumbledore’s talking about one of the students? He got to his feet, scuffing his shoe against the thick carpet, thinking. Malfoy, perhaps? But he was wiser, now. He could see that it was no more than petty rivalry, that he did not hate the boy, after all. When he thought of Malfoy, he thought of a pathetic, desperate soul, like an ugly wild animal backed against a wall. He knew the difference between hatred and contempt, and surely, Dumbledore did too.

But there was someone who evoked both, in his mind – Peter Pettigrew. He remembered the man cringing and cowering, the same man who had sold his parents to Voldemort because he had been afraid. Harry hated him, to be sure, but why would Wormtail be in Hogwarts? And why would Harry ever need him?

Harry paced the floor in front of the big Gryffindor fireplace, which seemed eerily quiet without a fire in it. Pacing was an old habit of his, one he had developed spending hours alone, locked in Dudley’s second bedroom. It was not something he did often at Hogwarts; but he was alone, and the low table was as good as his bed for a course.

He could go out, of course, but the passwords were reset every summer, so he might not be able to reenter. Did Dumbledore mean for him to stay here, then? Until, perhaps, the man he hated came to meet him?

He fingered his wand, looking for something to do, with his newly liberated magic. Aimlessly shifting and levitating the furniture would not be the least productive. Perhaps he could light the fireplace. Looking more closely, he found that there was no wood, not even on the rack by the hearthstone. Had the house elves taken it away for the summer?

House elves, he remembered. Harry lowered the wand in his right hand and snapped the fingers of his left. “Dobby!” he called.

The elf appeared at his side with a pop. “Harry Potter, sir!” he squeaked, all enthusiasm and flapping ears. “Dobby is expecting you today! Happy birthday, sir!”

“Er… thanks, Dobby. Wait, did Dumbledore tell you I was coming?”

“He did! Headmaster Dumbledore is telling me, a long time ago. He said I is to give you a password.”

“Go on, what is it?” said Harry. Trust Dumbledore to read his mind, even from the grave.

“It is ‘faith’, Harry Potter sir!” The elf’s enormous eyes regarded him without blinking. “He was saying to tell you that it is the only password.”

“The only password…” A strange glint appeared in his eyes; even without seeing the knuckles whitening around Harry’s wand, so fixedly did Dobby watch his face, the elf seemed to shrink and retreat a step or two.

“Yes, Master Harry sir. Is Dobby wrong?”

Harry appeared not to have heard him. “The only password in all of Hogwarts, he means?”

“He was not saying anything more, Harry Potter, sir.”

“He never did.” Harry looked down at Dobby, and seemed to notice him for the first time. “Thanks, Dobby. You’ll be around if I need you?”

“Yes sir! Headmaster Dumbledore was telling Dobby, I is serving Harry Potter now!”

“Right. Well, I’ll see you later then.” He mustered a smile for the elf, who positively beamed as he disappeared with a pop.

Harry stood where he was, staring blankly at the now empty space where Dobby had been. He forced his fingers to uncurl themselves, replacing the wand so its tip barely protruded from his sleeve. By the turbulence of his gut, he was likely to hex anyone he encountered, friend or foe, by pure instinct. Better that the fraction of a second it took him to draw his wand be afforded him to think.

He pushed open the portrait and ventured into the eerily quiet corridor. He was not perturbed by dim, deserted hallways; he had done his fair share of roaming the castle after dark. It was merely that sunlight spilled in through the windows, and a faint breeze played at the drapery, yet Hogwarts itself was completely still. There were no ghosts, no life in the suits of armor, not even the smallest peep from anyone in the paintings. He had half a mind to see if Moaning Myrtle still wept in the girls’ restroom, but did not; he knew where he had to go.

Harry reached the gargoyle guarding the Headmaster’s office, much sooner than he had thought possible. It seemed to leer at him, this time around, as though it mocked him for hoping – wildly, desperately, for one fleeting moment – that at the top of the revolving staircase, Dumbledore was waiting to offer him a lemon drop, and all would be well.

“Faith,” he murmured to the gargoyle. It hopped aside, revealing the familiar stone steps behind it. Harry entered, and ascended.

There was no one at the top of the staircase, and Harry told himself that he hadn’t expected anyone anyhow. He laid a hand on the doorknocker– his left, as his right slipped the wand from his sleeve – and froze. There was a noise behind the locked door, unmistakably that of another person.

His first thought was that McGonagall had, after dropping the “Deputy” from her title of “Headmistress”, begun relocating her domicile. Surely his Head of House, or more properly, former Head of House, would be glad to see him; she had undoubtedly been apprised of the Portkey affair. He knocked twice, and pushed open the door.

Sitting behind Dumbledore’s desk, with quill in hand, was none other than Severus Snape.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I had thought it would be a one-shot! Apparently, there will be another chapter, at least.

Please read and review!
Chapter 2 by Aethyr

Harry’s wand leveled itself at a point between Snape’s eyes, before either of them had blinked. “You!” Harry roared, seeing red.

“Me,” Snape agreed, unperturbed. He did not flinch, did not even move, save to deliberately raise the quill and point it admonishingly at Harry. Despite the bloody haze clouding his vision, Harry could see the tip of Snape’s wand against the man’s palm.

“You want to duel me, Snape?” he demanded. Despite the surety that he was no match for the man, as demonstrated the night of Dumbledore's demise, quite a large part of him desperately wanted an excuse, any excuse, to attack him, to rend him into a thousand pieces and toss them off a tower, to give outlet to the rage which by some heretofore unknown measure of will manifested only in a trembling of his wand and a few fizzling red sparks.

“I have no interest in dueling, at present. Or rather, no interest in dueling you, Mr. Potter.” Gesturing with the quill, he added, “You should put away the wand now, before you do yourself an injury.”

Harry’s subsequent snarl sounded much like that of an enraged carnivore. “What did you do to her, Snape?”

Snape did flinch, then, or seemed to, without moving, if it were possible. It was a long moment before he replied, voice like the grave, “What are you talking about, Potter?”

“You know perfectly well what I’m talking about, Snape! McGonagall! What did you do to her?

“Ah.” Some of the tension visibly lifted from Snape's shoulders; the glint in his eyes seemed to reveal amusement, undoubtedly at Harry's expense. “She and the rest of the Order – if you have yet to notice, we are alone in the castle – are currently participating in what will likely go down in history as The Battle of Privet Drive.”

Harry gasped as the full meaning of the pronouncement seeped through the anger pulsing in his temples. “The blood wards!” He lowered his wand – it was now aimed at approximately Snape's chest. “Voldemort's there, isn't he? And – and the Dursleys...” He narrowed his eyes as the thought struck him, and added, “Why aren't you there?”

“I have orders to the contrary.”

“Whose orders, eh?” Harry demanded. “Voldemort's! Not Dumbledore's – can't be, 'cause he isn't around to give orders anymore, is he? Is he?” By the end, his voice had cracked,  but he made up for it with a fierce glare.

“Actually, they are the same orders from both.”

“They – what? But he's dead!” Harry raised his wand again, releasing a hissing gout of steam. “You're lying!” he accused. “You're a filthy Slytherin liar, aren't you, and –”

“The headmaster was perfectly capable of leaving written instructions, as I am sure you are well aware.”

The man's tone of voice, more than anything, was what gave Harry pause. Written instructions... The haze of unadulterated rage retreated a little as he recalled Dumbledore's letter. A person you hate, he had written, and listen to what he has to say.

“Yeah,” he ground out, “I know what you're getting at. He was right. I hate you.” But Merlin, did it feel good to say it to the man's face!

“Shocking, of course.”

“Well? What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I suppose you cannot be persuaded to take a seat, like a civilized person.”

“You're one to talk, murderer,” spat Harry, who did perch on the arm of the nearest armchair, but kept his wand trained on Snape.

“I will not deny that I killed him, but it was under duress, and by his own orders.”

“You’re telling me he wanted to die? Do you think I’m bloody blind, Snape? It was murder!”

“He preferred to think of it as ‘fulfillment of duties owed.’” There was a world of bitterness in Snape's voice. “I gave him my word. He asked me to do it.”

“He asked you not to do it – he begged you!” Harry's wand twitched in his hand as the memory of Dumbledore's last words sprang unbidden to mind. “I was there! I saw him! I saw it all!”

“His plea was… intentionally vague. Recall – for once in your life, use that miserable brain of yours – recall that he said 'please', but did not specify further. Has it occurred to you that it might have been deliberate? The Headmaster was quite a bit cleverer than you realize.”

“You Slytherins can twist any damned thing to your advantage, can't you? I guess you'll be telling me he's not really dead after all, or some rubbish like that! You expect me to believe you?”

“Not at all. Your current reaction is more in keeping with my expectations. The Headmaster, however, seemed to think you would be more easily swayed. Then again, he also seemed to think he'd be of more use dead than alive, the old fool.”

Harry bristled at that. “Don't talk about him that way! You've no right!”

At long last, Snape seemed to lose his façade of almost unnatural calm. “You are not the only one to mourn him, Potter,” he hissed, black eyes glittering like jet. “Your presumption thereof is offensive and childish.” He returned the quill, which he had begun rolling between thumb and forefinger, to its stand with rather unnecessary force. “To think that the Headmaster had such hopes for your coming of age... Fortunately for the continued survival of the Wizarding World, I have significantly less faith in your mental capacity.”

There it was, thought Harry, the word “faith” again. It bothered him more than he would admit, but he was glad he was not the only one in the room without Dumbledore's faith in the other. That, at least, felt familiar, in this room where everything now felt wrong.

He almost missed Snape's next words: “I insisted on preparing a Pensieve.”

“You can fake memories – I learned that last year.”

“Then you will be pleased to know that none of them are mine.” He stood abruptly and, keeping one eye on Harry, turned to the portrait behind his chair.

Harry had not noticed it before, so intent he had been on Snape, though the painting was larger than any of the others on the walls. Dumbledore was fast asleep within the frame; the image, canvas though it was, brought an uncomfortable lump to Harry's throat.

“Headmaster,” said Snape, “if you would be so kind, I have need of your Pensieve.”

The old man did not stir. “Headmaster, this charade has gone on long enough. Do not pretend you have not been eavesdropping the entire time – you do not deceive me.” Snape let some of the irritation he surely harbored creep into his tone of voice. Still, Dumbledore remained soundly asleep, and Snape drew his wand.

“Don't!” Harry shouted – though it was more a croak than anything – and sprang from his seat with wand in hand.

“I am hardly going to hex the portrait, Potter,” Snape said with a sneer. He tapped the frame with the tip of his wand, remarking to the portrait, “I don't suppose an Alohamora will work on you. Very well, I can guess the game you're playing, Albus.”

Portrait-Dumbledore did awaken then, and, as if nothing out of the ordinary had transpired, asked brightly, “Did you call for me, Severus?”

Before Snape could so much as fit a word in edgewise, Harry was pressed forward against the headmaster's desk and managed to choke out the word “Professor” in greeting even as his throat and lungs rebelled. He mutely blinked away the impending tears, thinking, I won't cry in front of Snape. I won't give him the satisfaction.

“Oh, Harry,” said Dumbledore, breaking into a wide smile, “I'm so very pleased to see you. Happy birthday, my boy.”

“Thank you, sir,” he whispered. There were a thousand things he wanted to say, a thousand unanswered questions, but in that moment, all of them were forgotten.

“I trust you haven't been giving Professor Snape a hard time, Harry?”

“Oh yes, he trusts me to the extent that we need Pensieve verification, Headmaster – he hasn't been difficult at all,” Snape said crossly.

“Call me Albus – I don't know why you insist on such formality, Severus. As for the Pensieve, you know that it is – ”

“ – a last resort,” Snape finished for him. “I am well aware of the fact, but surely you can see that we have not budged an inch since Potter's arrival. I should think this qualifies!”

Dumbledore sighed. “Very well,” he said. Harry imagined that he looked a tad disappointed as his portrait swung open.

To be continued...
End Notes:
My apologies for the long hiatus; the first year of college is busier than I had anticipated. This chapter has been brewing for some time now (I wrote the first half over winter break, methinks), and might be a tad disjointed as a result.

Please review, now that you've presumably read! I miss getting them!
Chapter 3 by Aethyr
Snape stepped in front of the gap between wall and frame, conveniently shielding its contents from view as he reached into the hidden compartment. Harry could hear the rustling of paper and the clinking of glass, before Snape withdrew a Pensieve, which Harry immediately recognized – though he kept that particular thought to himself. Snape placed the basin on the Headmaster's desk, and the portrait swung gently shut behind him.

“As I recall,” said Snape, “you are quite familiar with the use of a Pensieve.”

Harry could feel himself color slightly, but otherwise ignored the barb. He was, after all, rather too accustomed to insults from Death Eaters. With one hand deep in his pocket, his wand firmly in his grasp, he dipped his fingers into the bowl.

He could make out, in the corner of his eye, Snape's hand beside his, before he plunged head-first through the silvery liquid – and into the very same office they had just occupied. Here, however, a grave and weary Albus Dumbledore sat behind the desk – as it should be, Harry thought – with Snape in the same armchair where Harry had been, only it was drawn up within an arm's length of the Headmaster. Between them was a tray of unfinished tea, cold and presumably abandoned. Dumbledore swept it to one side with his good hand.

He very carefully rolled back the sleeve of his other arm. Harry gasped. The curse had spread; Dumbledore's entire lower arm was blackened and withered, the infection stopping just below his elbow. The Snape in the memory, too, looked taken aback.

“We did not predict it would move so quickly, yes,” said Dumbledore. “It is not a failing on your part, Severus; your skill is beyond reproach.”

“What happened?” asked Snape.

“I have been expending more magic than perhaps is wise. It is, however, necessary.”

You are necessary,” said Snape fiercely. “It is parasitic; you should not feed it – you know that!”

“I am but one wizard, Severus, you –”

“You might as well tell me that the Dark Lord is but one Death Eater! Without him, there is no war, just as without you –”

“Without me, there is still Harry,” said Dumbledore, “and he is the child of prophecy.”

“He is exactly that – a child!”

“And he has held his own against Voldemort remarkably well in the past, all things considered. You should rather, I think, have a care towards the other child in your protection.”

“I have offered him assistance, which he has refused.”

“As you knew he would, Severus. He is frightened, and suspicious, and absolutely out of his depth – you, of all wizards, should not hold it against him.”

Memory-Snape looked away, as if stung. “Severus, I did not mean it as reproof,” said Dumbledore gently.

“Yes, I know,” said Snape, without feeling.

“Has he made any progress?”

“The Cabinet is still far from functional. The Dark Lord is not best pleased, but his current priorities are, fortunately for Draco, elsewhere.”

“Draco does remember the contents of your Vow, does he not?”

“Yes, of course. His mother reminds him of it often enough; she does not seem to understand that Draco is an adolescent boy, and therefore has a particularly fragile ego. He does not want to reveal weakness – which is not, I would remind you, a uniquely Slytherin characteristic.”

“No, it is not.” Dumbledore shifted his injured arm with a barely-concealed wince. “Do you believe, then, that in extremity, he has the capacity to commit murder?”

“It will not come to that.”

“No? Truly? You are usually significantly less optimistic.”

“It cannot come to that, Headmaster, because you cannot die. Not at this juncture, not with the Dark Lord still as powerful as he is.”

“And yet if he does not succeed, he – and his parents, undoubtedly – will be punished. As  someone who is intimately familiar with such measures, Severus, surely you would not willingly allow such a fate to befall your only godson.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry could see the real Snape's hands clasped so tightly behind his back that his knuckles had gone white. “I fail to see how I could prevent it,” memory-Snape ground out, “I can hardly countermand the Dark Lord's direct orders.”

“That is not what I ask of you, and I believe you do know this.” Something in Dumbledore's expression softened, and he added, “The choice between what is right and what is easy was never a simple one. You have chosen well, many times. I only ask that you continue to do so.”

“What happens, then, if neither choice is right?” Snape demanded bitterly.

“Think, then, of the Wizarding World. Think of the greater good – you are fast eclipsing me in value to the cause. I ask a great deal of you – I always have – but that is only because I am confident that you will make the right choice, in the end. Think upon it.”

“You ask for a murder, Headmaster.”

“You have done worse, Severus, in Tom's service,” said Dumbledore.

They flinched, both the Snape under Dumbledore's scrutiny and the one at Harry's side. “That,” whispered memory-Snape, his voice lashed with pain, “was uncalled for.”

“My apologies,” said Dumbledore, impassive. “I must, however, have your word. Will you do it, in his stead, if the need should arise?”

“If the need should arise,” said memory-Snape, looking for all the world as though he were fighting Veritaserum with every word, “if the need should arise, you have my word.”

“Thank you, Severus.” It was all that was left to say.

Memory-Snape rose from the chair, and did not bid the old man farewell before slamming out of the office. Fawkes alighted noiselessly on the desk, and laid his head on Dumbledore's burnt and withered hand. The phoenix began to cry, enough for both of them, but the hand remained as it was, dead.
To be continued...
End Notes:
My apologies, dear readers, that it took so long to post this chapter. I am a college student; real life and real (very real) homework get in the way. Please review! I have finals this week, so I would love to have something pleasant waiting for me when I log on. It makes my day, every time.

Thank you!
Chapter 4 by Aethyr
The scene swirled around them, and rather than ejecting Snape and Harry into the reality of the present day, changed instead to a different memory. They were, Harry saw, in Snape's office; memory-Snape sat in his usual seat, and Dumbledore had pulled one of the students' chairs up to the desk. There were a number of potions – most of which Harry did not recognize – on the desk, clustered around a large mixing-bowl.

“I have made some improvements,” said memory-Snape, unstoppering a vial of something viscous and red, “mostly to counteract one of the more stubborn degenerative elements of the curse, but also to spare you some of the pain.”

“Thank you, Severus. It is considerate of you.”

Snape did not reply; he poured the potion into the bowl, which was already half full of water, and stirred the liquids together with a glass rod. “Here,” he said, pushing the bowl towards the Headmaster.

Dumbledore rolled up his sleeve; Harry noted, with growing dread, that the curse had travelled past the Headmaster's elbow, and the joint itself was shrunken and burnt. Dumbledore's lower arm could no longer move of its own accord; he had to lift it with his other hand and place it into the basin.

“And here,” said Snape, uncorking another vial and pushing it towards Dumbledore's good hand. “I've experimented with this one, also. I have not, however, been able to make any significant progress.”

“No matter – I am sure you have done your best. Nerve regenerators have always been rather tempermental, I am told.”

“Yes, quite.”

Dumbledore drank it down, favoring memory-Snape with a grimace as he replaced the empty bottle on the desk. He produced, from the sleeve of his robe, a small drawstring purse. “Lemon drop?” he asked, offering the Potions master the bag.

“No, thank you.”

Dumbledore chose one for himself and popped it into his mouth with particular glee. “I suppose you are not the one in need of a palate cleanser,” he said around the sweet.

“Indeed. I would, however, register my surprise at your non-diabetic constitution, and remind you that your sugar intake cannot possibly be healthy.”

Dumbledore chuckled a bit, remarking, “Yes, well, that hardly matters anymore.”

“It matters. You matter, quite a lot.”

There was something in his voice, or perhaps the set of his shoulders or the line of his jaw, that gave Dumbledore pause. “Is there anything I should know, Severus?” he asked, in quite a different tone.

“I presume you noticed the drastic improvement of the Vanishing Cabinet on Thursday,” Snape said.

“I did. What of it?”

“I believe the Dark Lord's eye is shifting towards Hogwarts. I speak not in my capacity as informant, but rather because I feel it to be so.”

“And you know, Severus, that I value your insight as much as I do your information.”

Memory-Snape nodded, and continued, “I spoke with Narcissa Malfoy two days ago. She believes she has reason to fear for her son. There is talk – among some of the Death Eaters, only, as the Dark Lord has given no sign – of an assault on the school within the year.”

“I see. What do you make of it?”

“I would say that Lucius, and even more so Narcissa, are exceptionally perceptive in this regard, for all that Narcissa herself is not Marked.”

“I must –” Dumbledore stopped quite abruptly, minutely tilting his head, as if listening to a sound inaudible to the others. “The wards,” he said a moment later. “Come.”

Dumbledore reached across the desk, grasping Snape's shoulder with his good hand. The air swirled around them and compressed in what Harry recognized as the sickening sensation of Apparition – the Headmaster could, apparently, Apparate within Hogwarts itself. They landed a little ways into the Forbidden Forest.

Dumbledore drew his wand and waved a drying spell over his arm. He then tapped the air in front of them, and the ghostly image of a rat appeared at their feet.

“Pettigrew...” memory-Snape hissed.

“He's gone now,” Dumbledore remarked. “It would appear that he was reconnoitering the premises, then?”

“Possibly. He is the least noticeable Death Eater not already keyed into the wards. There are some things that an insider, by virtue of being an insider, would not know.”

Dumbledore sighed. “I remember. Come, there is no more to be seen here.” They began making their way back to the castle.

“You know, Severus, that this means I must ask more of you. I need you to be in a position, after I am gone, to be granted Headmastership of the school by Tom Riddle. I would trust no one else to take care of the children.”

“After you are gone? I would remind you that you cannot leave, that you must be the one to, as you say, 'take care of the children'.”

“You do an admirable job with your Slytherins, and I predict you will do similarly well with the other children.”

“I am flattered, of course, but you do not deceive me, Headmaster. You are merely avoiding the question.”

“I was not aware, Severus, that there was a question. You did give me your word.”

“It was conditional, as you well know.”

“I have good reason to think the condition will be fulfilled, Severus.”

“It does not have to be.”

“It will be. It is within my power to guarantee it.”

“Perhaps,” said memory-Snape, turning upon him with sudden ire, “and perhaps you take too much for granted. Perhaps I no longer wish to be part of this harebrained scheme of yours. Perhaps I do not want to do it anymore – I never did – and I will gladly accept the consequences!”

“No, Severus. As hypocritical as it may seem, you are necessary, and I am not. You agreed to it, and that is all we need discuss.”

They came to the edge of Hagrid's pumpkin patch, and Dumbledore turned away to greet Hagrid, who waved back while restraining an enthusiastic, barking Fang with his other hand. “Very well, Headmaster,” memory-Snape spat at the back of Dumbledore's head. With a twitch of his robes, he turned and, alone, stalked up the path to the castle.

“Someone blow up a cauldron today or summat?” said Hagrid with a grin, shouting across the rows of pumpkins.

“Something like that,” Dumbledore replied, shaking his head, “something like that. I shall leave you to your garden, then.”

Memory-Snape was already far ahead on the path; Dumbledore did not attempt to catch up to him, but made his own way back to the castle.  The sun was high, the grounds were green, and the lake sparkled like a jewel, but in his step was a world of weariness that followed like a shadow, or a Grim.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Why is it that the more (real) work I have, the more I'm tempted to write fanfiction instead? A creature of weak will, am I. Please review; I was soundly trounced by a final this morning, and am in need of cheer.

I was actually rather hesitant about posting this chapter. I'm not certain that it is really necessary to the plot; I merely thought to elaborate upon the circumstances of the argument Hagrid overheard in book six. What do you think?
Chapter 5 by Aethyr
The next memory began, again, in Snape's office. Dumbledore had clearly just stepped out of the fireplace; he dusted some stray ash from his beard as he approached Snape's desk, where the man was tinkering with a batch of what looked like Sleeping Draughts. “Good evening, Severus,” he said.

“Good evening, Headmaster,” memory-Snape replied without looking at him. “Is this urgent? I am rather occupied, at present.”

“It is, I'm afraid. I shan't take up too much of your time, I promise.”

“What is it, then?” asked the Potions master with a sigh, setting aside the vial in his hand.

“I must ask you about the potion in the cave, guarding Voldemort's locket.”

Memory-Snape looked up then, startled. “I had assumed, when we last talked of it, that you were speaking only in hypotheticals.”

“At the time, yes. The situation has changed.”

“The situation has changed in that I informed you, less than two days ago, that Death Eaters were coming to Hogwarts! You cannot – surely you cannot mean to drink it yourself?” Snape's voice had, by the end, descended into an almost-fearful whisper.

“Would I feed it to another when I could drink it myself, Severus?”

Memory-Snape slammed his fist on the desk, upsetting several flasks of his potion, one of which rolled off the desktop and shattered on the flagstones. “You,” he ground out, “are more valuable to the cause than any five wizards! There is no antidote, as you should well know!”

“Ah. I had feared as much,” said Dumbledore placidly.

“Take a house elf!” The man was standing now, spittle flying from his lips, his face contorted in what might have been rage, or loathing, or pain. “Take Potter! Take me!

Harry started, turning to glance at the real Snape; his lips were compressed into a thin white line, and he gripped his wand as though he might snap it.

“Well,” said Dumbledore, “one out of three – I would have expected better.”

“You – Potter? Why – ”

“They will believe him, Severus. You would be surprised, I'm sure, if I told you that there are quite a few people inclined to think the best of you.”

Memory-Snape was silent for a long moment, then said, a pale echo of his usual wry self, “I suppose I can tell the Dark Lord I've done my job, then.”

“And me, too. Severus, for the last time – you must know: never once in these seventeen years have I regretted hiring you.”

Memory-Snape stared at him for one long moment, and then whispered hoarsely, “Thank you, sir.”

Dumbledore waved his good hand and Summoned a chair, which landed noiselessly behind him. He sat down directly opposite Snape, on the other side of the desk. “We have,” said the Headmaster, “one last thing to attend to before I leave.” He laid his hand over Snape's; his other dangled uselessly at his side.

Memory-Snape slowly raised an eyebrow, as though it had taken him an exorbitant amount of energy, or especial strength of will.

“The wards, of course.” Dumbledore smiled gently. “It is not unheard of for a Headmaster of Hogwarts, in times of great danger, to appoint, as a safeguard, more than one Deputy.”

For once, it appeared that Snape could think of no adequate reply. Dumbledore's eyes seemed to twinkle as he asked, “Is there anyone else in Tom's circle to whom he might consider giving the position?”

“No.”

The glow around their hands was barely noticable, and the hum of the walls around them could have been the wind, or a spell cast in the next room. The expression on memory-Snape's face, however, told Harry all that he needed to know. It was the closest to awe, or joy, he had ever seen the man.

“Take care of the children for me,” Dumbledore murmured, releasing Snape's hand. Dumbledore got to his feet; the memory blurred and faded around them, and Harry found himself propelled backwards into the Headmaster's office once more.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Done with finals! Wrote this on the airplane ride home.

Please review; thanks!
Chapter 6 by Aethyr
Harry swayed on his feet as he got his bearings. He heard, rather than saw, Snape fall bonelessly into the armchair behind the desk. When Harry looked at him, he found the man with his eyes half-closed, shoulders slumped forwards, pinching the bridge of his nose with his wand-hand.

“Professor?” Harry said softly.

The man looked up. His face was thinner and paler than Harry remembered; there were dark circles under his eyes, which were themselves red-rimmed and watery, and his hair fell in disheveled strings around his face. He appeared, Harry thought suddenly, as though he had not properly taken care of himself in some time.

“Are you satisfied, now, Potter?” Snape rasped, interrupting Harry's thoughts.

“I –” Harry began. He stopped, recalling the small, cruel things that Snape had done to him over the years – the detentions, the insults, the biased allotment of House points – and found that they did not rankle him as they once did. He thought of the tower, that fateful night, of his confrontation with the man, and his inhuman rage and loathing. “You hate it, don't you?” Harry said instead.

“To what, specifically, do you refer?” asked Snape, though Harry suspected he already knew.

“You hate him for making you do it. You hate yourself for doing it. You –” Harry broke off abruptly as he was assailed by an image of Tom Riddle's cave, of the goblet of poison in his hand. “I understand, sir. Really, I do.”

“You understand nothing,” said Snape.

“You think you're the only one?” Harry demanded. He pulled out his wand; Snape tracked it with his eyes, but made no move towards his own. “How do I put a memory in there?” Harry asks.

“It requires a degree of familiarity with Occlumency.”

“Dammit, Snape, I'm serious! I was pants an Occlumency, I know, but there's something I need to show you. How do I do it?”

Snape took a long, hard look at him, but Harry stared back with equal equanimity, until Snape looked down, at the still-moving silver of the Pensieve, and said, “Come here.”

Harry stepped forward, and did flinch when Snape drew his wand. He held his own wand loosely in his hand, but did not think he would need it, this time. “Think about whatever it is you would like me to see,” said Snape. “Bring the image to the forefront of your mind.” Snape raised his wand and tapped at a point on Harry's temple. “Place your wand here, and draw it out, as though drawing iron with a magnet. Channel your magic through the wand and latch onto the memory.”

Harry dutifully brought his wand to his head and concentrated on the image of the crystal goblet in his hand, Dumbledore's tear-stricken face and potion-stained beard, repulsed as he was by the memory. He envisioned it draining out of his head, like a trickling stream of light, and found that when he lifted his wand, a thin strand of silver came away with it. It settled easily into the swirling contents of the Pensieve.

“Come on,” said Harry, “You should see this.”

Snape glanced sideways at him – testing him, he thought – and cleared his throat. “Do you intend to join me?” he asked, with something of his old asperity.

Harry did not want to see it – did not want to be confronted again with his own powerlessness – but found that as a Gryffindor, and by some strange quirk of circumstance, as a comrade, it would have been despicable to allow Snape to venture into this memory alone. “Yeah,” he said heavily, and saw a shadow of something – relief, perhaps – flit across Snape's eyes.

They tumbled into the too-familiar cave, and out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw Snape flinch. He would have said something, conveyed to Snape some meaningless empathy with word and gesture, had he not seen himself, in that moment, hold the cup of poison to Dumbledore's lips.  

He would need all his strength now, to stay, and bear witness.

Harry could hear Dumbledore's gasps of pain and his other self's murmured attempts to soothe the old man's torment, unconvincing even to his own ears. He watched himself dip the goblet back into the basin a third time, and a fourth, coaxing a reluctant Dumbledore to drink more, ever more, even as the poison burned him from the inside out. Harry's hands balled themselves into shaking fists at his side, his fingernails digging into the palms of his hands, as he fought to remain where he was, when every fiber of his being screamed for him to turn and run.

It was worse, Harry thought, because he knew what was coming.

He flinched, even so, when the screams came. He looked away, because he had to look away, because even from this distance, he could see his hand shaking, the potion splashing on his fingers, and the agony in Dumbledore's eyes, the poison and tears mingling on his too-white beard. He did not think there was a soul on earth who would blame him for turning from it, towards the nearest human shoulder, which happened to belong to Snape.

Snape's face had gone white – even paler than it had been earlier – Harry dimly observed. Dumbledore's cries grew louder, now, and an answering sound, a low noise of distress, built almost unconsciously in Harry's throat. And when Dumbledore screamed, “Kill me now!” the sob forced itself past Harry's lips – and a trembling hand lifted the glasses from his nose, snaked into his hair, and crushed Harry's face into the warm darkness of Snape's robes. Past caring, past all sense of shame or fear of derision, he slumped against the proffered body, and wept.
To be continued...
End Notes:
This chapter was rather difficult to write; I'm generally a stickler for staying in character, and this level of emotion is hard to capture without bending the relevant characters, however slightly, to accommodate. Do you think it reads as it should?

Please read and review! Thanks!
Chapter 7 by Aethyr
The memory ended and they landed on their feet in the tower office, Harry's fists still curled in Snape's robes. The man made no move to dislodge him, at first – Harry even imagined an answering grip upon his shoulder – but when it was plain that Harry would not release him of his own volition, Snape cleared his throat, rather pointedly, above Harry's head.

“Sorry, sir,” Harry mumbled, pulling away and swiping a sleeve across his eyes. Outside the horrors of the cave, it suddenly seemed rather foolish to cling so to the man's robes.

“It is unnecessary,” said Snape.

“Yeah, I know – sorry.” A dull flush crept up the back of Harry's neck.

“I meant your apology,” said Snape.

Harry glanced up at him, and saw that rather than his usual smirk, the man's face bore an expression of slight discomfort, which was itself overshadowed by his almost deathly pallor. Harry looked away – he rather wished that the ground would, in that moment, swallow him up – and whispered, “Thanks.”

“That, too, is unnecessary.” Snape coughed again, and said, “Perhaps you do not understand the import of these events, Potter.”

“What do you mean?”

Snape favored him with a small smile – not a smirk this time, or a sneer, but rather a look of weary but genuine amusement. “We are allies, now, are we not?”

Harry thought about it a moment, his brow wrinkling behind the frame of his glasses. “I... guess so.” More surely, he added, “I don't think you killed him for Voldemort anymore, or anything like that.”

“Indeed.” Snape looked for a moment as though he would say something more, but then appeared to catch himself, and change his mind. He turned abruptly away from Harry and began to pace in front of his desk, his rare good humor – if it could be so called – fleeing as quickly as it came. “You did not have to do this,” said Snape, his robes snapping out angrily behind him. “You should not have.”

“You mean the memory?” Harry said, more than a little bewildered at the sudden change. “Why not? It was the right thing to do.”

“I am aware,” said Snape, sounding even more agitated. “That is precisely the problem. You should not have. You should never have done me such a kindness, no matter you thought you should.”

“Why not?” Harry asked again. More boldly, he added, “I know you don't really believe in being kind – um, I mean, sorry, but you aren't, usually – but that doesn't matter. I'm not expecting you to be nice back, you know. I know it was just once, and I wasn't expecting it then, either. Just – I thought it was right.”

Snape paused, then, and raised an eyebrow. “You understand very little,” he said, choking back a laugh. It came out anyways, a singularly bitter and wounded sound, which was all the stranger for having come from Snape. “You know not what you have done.”

“Well... couldn't you tell me? Sir?” Harry asked, and waited for the proverbial axe to fall.

Snape looked him in the eye – Harry tried not to look elsewhere – and then turned, surprisingly, to Dumbledore's portrait. “Headmaster,” he said, “Albus. You seem to have underestimated him after all. And – you will have underestimated me, also.” The portrait attempted to speak, but Snape held up a hand to forestall him. “I apologize for disrupting your plans,” he continued, “but there is, as you well know, a prior claim on my loyalties.” Snape made as if to turn back to Harry, but then halted, and added, over his shoulder, “I apologize for this, too, but I feel it to be necessary. Silencio.” Dumbledore sighed, as if resigning himself to the ban.

“Potter,” Snape paused a moment, and said, shaking his head, “I cannot call you by that name. Harry – if you have no objection?”

Harry knew that if he did not allow it, Snape would not persist – and yet Harry could not find it in him to deny the man, not when there was precious little left to withhold regardless. He knew that it would invite a confidence beyond even camaraderie, but had Snape not, just minutes ago, held him and dried his tears? I am not my father, Harry thought, grasping at once what Snape asked – and offered.

“Of course,” he said, and watched as some of the nearly two-decades-old burden lifted from Snape's shoulders.

“Harry,” said the man, the name strange but not unwelcome from his mouth, “There is much you ought know, and not enough time.” He sat down, in not the headmaster's chair, but one of the two opposite his desk, and motioned for Harry to take the other.

“The Headmaster sought to buy my security in the Dark Lord's ranks with his own life – you can surely see that now. What you did not know – and were not supposed to know – is that he intended to buy, also, a final victory in this war with yours. I was once willing to countenance it – but no longer.” One of Snape's hands clenched spastically around the arm of his chair, going white at the knuckles.

“I know that I'm probably going to die, sir,” said Harry. “I've known that all along. I mean, Voldemort's more powerful, and smarter, and he's got decades of experience on me – I know I'm no match for him. And I know I'm the one who has to face him in the end, since there's the prophecy and all that. It's not Dumbledore's fault.”

“You think you know more than you do,” said Snape, “and you cleave too blindly to the Headmaster's plans. He should have been a Slytherin – and you are no match for a Slytherin in conspiracy. There is undoubtedly a world of difference between the death you envision for yourself and the death the Headmaster has ordained for you.” Snape spat the last few words with a bitterness even Harry seldom saw from him, and shot Dumbledore's portrait a dark look possessed of all the venom of a basilisk.

“What do you mean?” Harry demanded, not quite believing his ears. “What do you mean by 'the death he ordained for me'? Dumbledore didn't want me to die – he made me live with the Dursleys so I wouldn't be killed!”

“That is precisely the point, Pot– Harry. It is not that he wanted you dead in principle, but rather that he deemed it necessary for you to die at a precise moment in the course of the war, in order to break a particular and crucial spell. Had you run afoul of the Dark Lord before then, you would have ruined the Headmaster's carefully orchestrated plans.” Snape said this calmly, as though explaining a simple concept to a first year, but there was a brittleness in his tone that even Harry could perceive.

“It's Dark Arts, isn't it?”

“Indeed,” said Snape, “Horcruxes are the worst sort of Dark Arts.”

“But you need to kill someone to make the Horcrux, not to break it. You only need to break the thing that he put the piece of his soul into and turned – oh. Oh.” Harry clapped a hand over his scar and whispered, horrified, “It's me, isn't it.”

Snape stared at him, the haunted look in his eye akin to the one Harry had seen moments ago in the Pensieve, when Snape had all but offered his own life in exchange for Dumbledore's. “Yes,” he said bleakly, “and I wish to Merlin it were not so.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading; please review!

I shall endeavor to produce a few more chapters before the summer ends, though what with a nine-to-five (six, actually) job, I cannot be sure of meeting the mark.
Chapter 8 by Aethyr
Harry lowered his hand, staring at it as though he expected it to come away from his forehead dripping with poison. He exhaled a slow, shaky breath, and fell limply into the nearest armchair. Snape glanced at him, but looked quickly elsewhere, and sank into the other chair – not the Headmaster's seat, but the one on the other side of the coffee table.

“Why are you telling me all of this?” Harry suddenly asked, looking over at Snape. “Don't you want to win the war? Even if – if you don't hate me anymore?”

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with his free hand. “Harry,” he breathed, “This may be difficult to believe, but I never hated you. I never even knew you – not until today. I could not know you, for both our sakes. Do you understand me?”

Harry found, surprisingly, that he did. “You mean, you hated my dad. And I look a lot like him, and so you thought of me as another one of him, another James Potter, right? So all this time, you didn't know me for me – you just thought of me as his son. I know that – and I saw the bit in the Pensieve in Fifth Year, and he was a right berk to you, I know. I don't blame you for hating him – or me, really. I mean, I don't think I could treat Malfoy's kid completely fairly, even if he turned out all right.”

Something in Snape's expression softened almost imperceptibly. “You are more astute than I had thought,” he allowed, very quietly, “though perhaps, given what I do know of you, I should not be surprised.”

Harry wasn't sure what to make of this last; it sounded like a compliment, though he would have expected Snape to be the last person to offer one – but given recent events, he was not so certain of that, either. “Umm... thanks?” he ventured, “I think?”

“It was not meant as an insult, if there was any confusion on that score,” said Snape, with a quirk of his lips. “Far from it.”

Harry looked away, not quite able to meet his eyes, and asked, “Anyways, why'd you tell me about the Horcrux thing? I thought you wanted to win the war.”

“The Headmaster and I, you will find, have very different definitions of victory, and very different goals. Surely you do not think I renounced my Death Eater ways out of some purely altruistic motive?”

Harry snorted. “Yeah, honestly, you don't seem like the 'for the good of the wizarding world' type. So, there's something you want out of all this?”

“Indeed. I assure you, my reasons were completely selfish. It so happened that the very personal mistake I wished to right proved to be an unprecedented opportunity for the Headmaster,” the man sneered, darting another venomous look at the portrait.

Snape glanced back at Harry, and his anger dissipated completely. He took a deep breath and said, “Your mother, Harry.”

“Erm... 'scuse me?”

“While I attended Hogwarts, as you well know, your father was my worst enemy. What you did not know is that your mother... was my best friend.”

“What?” Harry spluttered, “but you were a Slytherin!”

“And is Miss Lovegood not a Ravenclaw?”

“That's different,” said Harry. “Slytherins are – well, um, different.”

“Articulate as always,” replied Snape, with a small smirk. “I grant you that Slytherins are rather more insular than the other houses, but not all of us, you will find, are Death Eaters. I am not the only Slytherin member of the Order of the Phoenix, for example, and I believe there is a very small minority of Slytherin Aurors. But I digress,” said Snape. “I knew your mother before we ever attended Hogwarts. We were acquainted growing up in a Muggle neighborhood.”

“You grew up with Muggles?”

“Yes,” said Snape, looking as though he had swallowed a lemon, “we lived in a Muggle neighborhood. It is not common knowledge – and I would prefer it remain such – but my father was a Muggle.”

“Yeah, I know that,” said Harry, “what with the 'Half-Blood Prince' and all, but I thought – your mum –”

“– was a witch of some power but little will,” said Snape, rather coldly. “You do understand that it would be a significant setback to our cause, should this become widely known.”

“I promise, I won't tell anyone. But Voldemort –”

“He knows, of course. It is difficult to conceal anything from him – I only lie to him when absolutely necessary. It is completely true that I despised my father, and it required very little imagination to conclude that I therefore must hate all things Muggle. He, too, is halfblooded, as you should recall, so he was rather... sympathetic, if you will.”

There was a pause as Harry thought about it. “You know,” he said, “that actually makes sense.”

Snape smirked. “I am gratified to hear it.”

“Right," said Harry. "But... what about my mum?”

Snape started and stared at him – through him and past him – and for a fleeting moment, Harry was reminded of the way Sirius sometimes looked at him, when he thought Harry wouldn't notice. Then Snape tilted his head, his hair falling forward, and the resemblance was lost.

“She was my friend,” said Snape, turning his gaze towards the window, “my best and only friend, throughout my childhood and while we attended school. I had allies in Slytherin, to be sure – I kept my parentage a closely guarded secret, and was in any case valued for my skill in potions and dueling, among other areas – but I did not have friends. Would not have had friends, had Lily not stubbornly clung to our past association and insisted that she did not mind the outcome of our Sorting.” The hard angles of Snape's face seemed to soften a bit as he spoke. “I recall she was terribly displeased with the Hat for a time – she wanted to be in Slytherin, because I was virtually guaranteed to be Sorted there, but the Hat wouldn't budge.”

“I asked it not to put me in Slytherin,” Harry said suddenly. “It wanted to, but all I knew was that Voldemort was a Slytherin. Umm – no offense or anything.”

Snape glanced sharply at him. “It is understandable,” he said. “I would have done the same, in your place.” He sighed, and added, “I asked for Gryffindor, if you would believe it, and was denied.”

“Wait, what? Why?”

“Did I ask? Lily was Sorted before I was.” A brittle smile briefly touched Snape's lips. “Our lives – the war, even – would have turned out very differently, had my request been granted.”

“But you said you two were still friends, even though you weren't in the same House.”

“We were, for a time. Our opposing House allegiances did, however, make that friendship significantly more difficult. Slytherin, even today, is not known for its tolerance for Muggleborn students. You can imagine it was much worse in my day, with the Dark Lord at the height of his power.”

“You were friends with Malfoy's dad, weren't you?”

“He was an ally, for all that he was several years ahead while we attended Hogwarts. He and his ilk were in the habit of making light of my friendship with your mother. She did not particularly mind; she was always a singularly obstinate person.”

“But, then, what happened in fifth year?” At Snape's raised eyebrow, Harry added, “I mean the part I saw in your Pensieve. Sorry about that, by the way. Really, I didn't really know – ”

“It is in the past,” said Snape, and for a moment, Harry could not be sure whether it was to his mother or to his own transgression the man was referring. “I should have, in retrospect, taken more stringent precautions. You were always unhealthily curious – I have known that since your first year – but I digress. By fifth year, I had largely fallen in with the wrong crowd, so to speak – many of my associates would go on to become or marry Death Eaters. Ultimately, Lily presented me with a choice. I chose – well, you can infer how I chose. Slytherins are not well known for their courage.”

“I mean, I don't really blame you. It's not like you could choose her and everyone in Slytherin would be fine with it – they'd have made your life kind of miserable,” said Harry. “But that time after your OWLs – you didn't have to call her a Mud–”

Don't say it,” Snape snapped, showing the barest hint of uneven teeth. “It was a mistake, one in a long history of terrible mistakes. I said it for the benefit of your father and his friends, to remind them that I had powerful allies, for all that I was usually outnumbered. By then, some of my staunchest allies – including Lucius Malfoy – had graduated, so I was even more a target than in previous years. It also particularly rankled Black, seeing as his own brother was another of my very few friends.”

“But you said it to my mum!”

“I know,” said Snape in a fierce almost-whisper. “Do you think I would have, were it not for the circumstance? Believe me, I hardly knew it was Lily at the time, and I have regretted my teenaged impetuousness for twenty years thereafter! If only – had she not – washed her hands of me, if I had not driven her to it, we might not be in this... situation, today.” Snape exhaled, and Harry fancied there was something small and broken in his breath. “After that day, I had no real reason to distance myself from the more unsavory of my allies' activities. I took the Dark Mark within a week of my graduation.

“The Headmaster has assured you time and again of his confidence in me, in my loyalties; what he did not tell you, perhaps out of a misguided attempt to simplify for you our rather complicated history, is that I was not always his. I was once a genuine Death Eater. I did not shrink from Dark Arts; I was one of the most proficient in his circle. I have killed for him, tortured for him – I am not proud of it, but I did, and still do.”

“You do what you have to do,” Harry said, “to, umm... keep your cover.” At Snape's appraising once-over, Harry added, “No, really, I get that. I was almost a Slytherin, remember?”

“Indeed,” replied Snape, his thin smile not quite reaching his eyes. “I can only hope you will be similarly forgiving, when you have heard the rest of it. Did you know that I overheard the prophecy Trelawney made at the Hog's Head?”

“No – wait, I think Trelawney might have mentioned it to me once. Why – I mean –” Harry cut himself off, suddenly, feeling as though his stomach had fallen through the floor. “You told him,” he said in a vaguely horrified way, the blood pounding in his ears. “Voldemort. That was how he found out about it.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Whew, that one was tough! Snape is really hard to write! Please review; did I get him right, do you think?

I'm going away for a week or two, but I'll hopefully be able to get out another chapter before I go back to school in mid-September.
Chapter 9 by Aethyr

 

“Yes,” Snape said. He swallowed, visibly, and forced himself to continue, “though at the time, you must understand, I thought little of it. I myself don't put much stock in Divination; I was looking merely for information with which to advance my position in the Dark Lord's circle, and I happened upon the prophecy. I gave very little thought to its contents; I did not imagine that the Dark Lord would... imbue it with the significance he did. Had I known – I promise you – had I any notion that he would think – that he would come after Lily... I would never have – I would sooner have died myself.”

Snape lapsed into an uncomfortable silence and turned away from him; Harry caught a glimpse of his red-rimmed, suspiciously bright eyes in the windowpane. Groping for something, anything, to say, Harry whispered, “I believe you,” and found, in the telling, that it was true. Snape was a good actor, he knew – had to be, to have survived Voldemort and Dumbledore both, and for so long – but Harry was sure he wasn't feigning the unsteadiness of his voice or the slight trembling of his fingers. There was something a little too desperate, too haunted, in the thin frame of his shoulders.

Snape did not acknowledge him, but schooled his expression, a veneer of icy, almost inhuman calm settling over his features. Harry imagined it was the mask he donned in Voldemort's presence, and understood, more clearly than ever, how Snape had survived two decades as a spy. The man went on, as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred, “As soon as I understood the Dark Lord's intentions, I went to the Headmaster. I confessed to him everything; I came to him a repentant Death Eater, begging redemption for myself and sanctuary for Lily.” He darted a glance at Dumbledore's portrait, which was staring unabashedly at Harry, and perhaps purposefully away from Snape.

“The Headmaster made me an offer. He would place her – all three of you – under the strongest protections known to wizardkind, secret you away where the Dark Lord could never touch you, in exchange for my allegiance and services as a double agent. He did not tell me, then, that he took the prophecy as seriously as did the Dark Lord – that he had already planned to arrange such protections for your family – and so I came away with a sense of profound indebtedness, believing that he would go to such... extraordinary lengths, at my behest.”

He looked over at Harry, a swift, sidelong glance beneath his lashes, without turning his head. “You know the plan we devised. I was to replace Horace Slughorn as Potions master, and work for the Order of the Phoenix, while maintaining my position in the Dark Lord's circle. I would answer directly to the Headmaster, for as long as was necessary – as long as the war would last.

“I returned to the Dark Lord, and reported to him a much-edited version of our conversation – I told him that the current Potions master intended to retire at the end of the year, and that the Headmaster had offered me the position. It was not particularly unexpected, at least on merit; Professor Slughorn had indeed planned to retire for some years, and I had been one of his best students. I had a few publication credits in academic journals in Britain, and one in America, at the time. The Dark Lord was greatly pleased at the prospect of placing a Death Eater so close to the Headmaster, and pressed me to accept the offer, despite my apparent reluctance.

“I began teaching very soon thereafter. I had no inclination and little natural talent for the job, but it was a small price to pay, I thought,” said Snape, mustering a half-hearted grimace. “I did not significantly interact with the rest of the Order of the Phoenix, at the time, given that many of its members still doubted me – though the Headmaster's favor did much to alleviate their – understandable – concerns. I was not privy to their workings and strategy as a whole; I only knew what was relevant to her, including that James Potter had foolishly refused the Headmaster's offer to stand as their Secret Keeper, preferring Sirius Black, instead.

“That incident, I learned much later, was not what it appeared to be. The Headmaster had no intention of becoming Secret Keeper; it would have in all likelihood forced a Death Eater attack on Hogwarts, which the school could, at the time, ill afford. Instead, he quietly approached Potter's three greatest friends, and explained to them the predicament. Each of them came with inherent liability, to be sure – Pettigrew was too weak, Black too valuable to the Order as a combatant, and Lupin too susceptible to the Dark Lord's sway over Dark creatures – but their apparent loyalty to Potter made them the most suitable candidates. Black volunteered, naturally, and Potter accepted, over the token protest of the Headmaster.

“The conclusion to that story, I believe you know. Black was suspicious of Lupin at the time; Fenrir Greyback had just made an overture to Lupin, which he declined, but which nonetheless made Black wary. He therefore turned to Pettigrew to concoct his scheme, without consulting the Headmaster – who surely would have advised against it – trusting entirely too much in his own cleverness, as he was wont to do. The Dark Lord originally approached Pettigrew merely to force him to divulge Black's location – Black had gone into hiding – and instead, upon threatening Pettigrew's life, soon discovered that Black's disappearance was a ruse – that Pettigrew was the true Secret Keeper.

“The Dark Lord had gone alone to Pettigrew; none of the Death Eaters knew what he had discovered. But he sought me out, specifically, once he had the information. You must know, Harry, that the Dark Lord knows well how to reward his followers, to buy their loyalty and gratitude. He bade me accompany him to Godric's Hollow, that I might witness the demise of my childhood tormentor.

Snape brought a hand to his face, his long fingers covering his eyes. Harry could see his throat working, and looked down at his own knees, his hands clutching them. When he raised his head, he could make out the dampness on Snape's knuckles in the firelight. The man shuddered, the breath rattling in his lungs as he inhaled, and lowered his hands.

He spoke again, very quietly. “This news brought me no joy, as you might imagine. I – with no other recourse, as I was not in a position to even contact the Order, or the Headmaster – I asked him to spare Lily. You were the only one he had to kill, according to the prophecy; your parents were relevant only as members of the Order, and, more importantly, as obstacles to your destruction. Lily should not have mattered to his plans.” Snape closed his eyes, a gesture of infinite weariness, or perhaps some emotion Harry could not name. “I – he – the Dark Lord – did not know that we had been anything more than acquaintances – schoolmates – and certainly not that she had been any sort of friend to me. I merely – you might imagine, given the animosity between myself and James Potter, the sorts of things I might have said to convince the Dark Lord that I had personal, selfish, vengeful reasons for wanting Lily alive. He was not surprised to hear them – similar things have happened to the families of Aurors and other members of the Order. He – he agreed to reward me with the beautiful wife of my greatest childhood enemy.

He turned his gaze upon Harry, eyes haunted, desperate. “You must understand that you and your father were not at all my priority. For your mother's sake – I saw that she was unfathomably happy with him – I did not truly wish him dead, and I would have had you spared, if I there were any way to manage it, but in the end, what mattered to me was that Lily was unharmed. You were nothing to me then, Harry, except perhaps the fruit of an unwelcome union and living testament to the sum of my mistakes.”

“I understand,” said Harry, because he did. Against the tally of indignities and insults – trifles, now – he had suffered at Snape's hands, against the circumstances of his parents' demise, such disregard – and so long ago – meant very little. “It was my mum you cared about,” he said, and then, in saying so, realized the missing piece of the story.

“You loved her,” he whispered, and his tone was that of wonder.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I promised myself I would update at least once more before the year was out, and I did!

What did you think? It seems like there's a "big reveal" at the end of quite a few chapters; I hope it doesn't get too predictable, or too repetitive.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1621