Vows by Zarathustra
Summary: When Vernon discovers Harry can't do magic during his first summer back from Hogwarts, he loses it when the cake falls on his clients. Completely AU version of the Severitus challenge beginning during the summer after first year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hagrid, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Rape, Romance/Slash
Challenges: None
Series: Vows Series
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 112223 Read: 310724 Published: 21 Jul 2008 Updated: 23 Nov 2008
Friends and Colleagues, Lend Me Your Ear by Zarathustra

Harry hurried up the steps to the Owlery, his new trainers slapping on the stone steps, the sound reverberating along the narrow staircase shaft that wound its way up the tower. He was finally going to see Hedwig! He hadn’t had a chance until now to really take some time to come and visit her. He had used her on Wednesday to send letters to Ron and Hermione. He explained what little he could to them about what was going on, but they had felt a bit flimsy, since he could not say in detail what had happened - other than the part about Dobby.

But that visit to his owl had been a very quick one, and he hadn’t had a chance to come up to the Owlery again until today. His guardian had kept him quite busy, writing his essays, brewing last year’s potions all over again – except this time correctly – and being taught wizarding etiquette, or at least basic etiquette. Harry snorted to himself; he’d had no idea how little of the social graces he actually knew, nor how important they were. He almost felt like the ‘little Heathen’ that Aunt Marge always called him. But he was learning now.

Snape had acquired Harry a book, during their trip to Diagon Alley, on etiquette for young wizards and Harry was expected to have the book read by Sunday, which was tomorrow. Harry had surprised himself when he had finished the book by Thursday night. He never used to be able to read that quickly – Merlin, he was turning into a male Hermione! As this had left him extra time in his schedule, he was here to finally have a good long visit with his owl.

He ran up the last few steps and slipped under the low hanging doorway into the dimly lit chamber. Mouse bones crunching underfoot and rustlings from the owls in their niches, punctuated by several sleepy hoots, sounded gently around him. He gazed around the room trying to spot her, but couldn’t find her.

Well, maybe she’s out hunting, he thought to himself. I’ll just go fly on the pitch and come back later.

As he turned a bit dejectedly toward the entrance again, a joyous hoot from outside caught his attention. He walked out to the balcony and spotted Hedwig coasting towards him. Beaming at the sight of his familiar, he put his arm out for her to land on and reached into his trousers pocket for the handful of treats he had brought her. He scattered these on the ledge and lowered his forearm for her to step down, after he had retrieved the packet of letters from her leg.

“Hey, girl,” he said as he stroked the soft feathers along her head and back. She hooted happily at him and went back to nibbling her treats. Harry perched himself in a neighbouring balcony arch so that he could read his post and enjoy the warmth of the summer sun as well.

Dear Harry,

It was good to see you in Diagon Alley on Monday. I wish you could’ve met my parents, I’ve told them so much about you and Ron, but I know neither of us had the time – maybe next year.

I’ve sent a letter to Ron to let him know you never got your letters from us, and that you wouldn’t be able to visit the Burrow this summer.

I’ve already read most of the new books for this year – there are ever so many for Defense – and I’ve already finished all my essays. I don’t think Ron has even started his yet! I hope you have begun yours!

I have to cut this short; Hedwig is giving me glares. Be well, Harry, I hope that where you are staying is much better than your aunt’s. I’m going to do some research for you on that house-elf. I wonder if there are any at Hogwarts?

See you on the first, save us a spot at the table!

Hermione

Harry smiled at Hermione’s note; leave it to Hermione to have all her homework done already, and to soothe Ron about Harry not answering his letters. He folded the letter back up and stuck it in his pocket, then broke the seal on his next letter.

Harry,

I got your note, and Hermione’s, today. Glad to see you’re alright, mate. Dad was about ready to come and get you himself! Good thing Dumbledore contacted him and told him you were safe, but he wouldn’t say where. Even Fred and George were ready to nick Dad’s flying car to rescue you! I kinda wish they had, as it sounds like it would’ve been a great bit of fun!

Did Hermione get on you about your homework? Merlin, we still have four weeks left – plenty of time!

I wish you could come out this summer, but Dumbledore said no – you needed to stay where you were. Maybe next summer, hey? Sorry to hear the relatives were such gits, and how did you end up with Snape taking you to purchase your school supplies? Bet you and he were both thrilled about that!

Hermione says you won’t be able to ride the train this year, so I guess I’ll see you when we arrive. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Ron

Harry chuckled over Ron’s note, agreeing that it would’ve been fun to see his dad’s flying car. He would’ve liked to see where the Weasleys lived; from Ron’s descriptions during the previous term, it sounded like a place where Harry would fit right in – black hair and all.

He carefully folded this up and placed it in his pocket next to Hermione’s and sat back against the pillar, dozing in the sunlight, soaking the heat into his bones that were chilled after spending so much time in the dungeons. He ruminated on how different the professor was this summer, compared to last term. The man was strict, but he was also fair – something he definitely was not during the school year. So what had changed?

***

He was startled awake by a hand gently shaking his shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes and saw Professor Snape standing there with a half-smile – well, that was what Harry had determined those little upturns at the side of the man’s mouth were – on his face as he gazed down at his ward.

“Nice nap?” he asked, a tad sarcastically.

“Mmm, hmmm…” Harry nodded, as he stretched his back and legs. He took the professor's proffered hand and levered himself off the railing. “Wow, I didn’t realise I had dozed off professor, I’m sorry! What time is it?”

“Nearly six. I was getting worried.”

“I’m sorry, sir, I won’t let that happen again. I was just so comfortable, and the sun was so warm…” he trailed off, looking down at his shoes as he scuffed the tip of one through the dust on the floor. “Are you going to punish me?”

“For what? Taking a nap? On a Saturday? I think not, Potter.” Harry raised his head in shock at this. He had been sure he was headed for some cauldron scrubbing. “I knew where you had intended on coming, which is why I checked here first. Besides,” he added in a conspiratorial tone, “your broom is still in your room.”

“Oh,” replied a chagrined Harry.

“Come along, it is time for dinner and we are dining in the Great Hall this evening; the Headmaster is insisting upon it. So, we need to get you presentable.” Severus headed for the stairs with Harry reluctantly following behind.

***

Snape insisted that Harry wear a good set of clothes and robes for dinner with the staff, so Harry hurriedly washed and changed, tucking in his shirt tail as he hurried down the hall to Snape’s sitting room, and carrying a set of school robes.

“We don’t have all day, Potter!” Snape bellowed just before Harry turned the corner. “Well, it’s about time! Let’s go.” Harry rolled his eyes at his teacher’s tone as the man opened the door wandlessly, and billowed through it. Harry was right behind him, straightening out his own set of robes as he partially jogged in order to keep up with his guardian’s long strides. As he jogged he pushed his hair behind his ear; it was getting a bit long, and was starting to tickle his cheek.

He was amazed lately, that his hair was actually behaving somewhat; at least it wasn’t as messy. Maybe it was Snape’s shampoo. He’d asked the man about it the other day, but had just gotten a grunt in answer. He really thought it must be the product he was using; and if so, he wanted to get some for the rest of the year! He’d been trying for years to get his mop to behave, and this was the first time he’d found something that worked! As he was musing on this, they entered the Great Hall and headed up to the single round table that sat near the dais where the staff tables usually were during term.

Dumbledore, Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall and a professor Harry had never met, much less seen, were already seated and the last two seats were open for Harry and Professor Snape.

 

The new Professor had the appearance of a very flighty type of person; dressed in numerous clashing paisley shawls that seemed to float around her on their own accord. Her hair was messier than Hermione’s and she wore large thick glasses that gave her an owl-like appearance. She seemed a bit timid, sitting there amongst the other teachers.

“I’m sorry we were late, Headmaster, Potter was napping. Sybil,” he said curtly as he took his seat beside the strange teacher. She nodded at him, but only had eyes for Harry.

“No trouble, Severus, we all just got here ourselves; have a seat, my boy. Harry, have you met our Divination teacher, Professor Trelawney? She has decided to grace us with her presence this evening,” Dumbledore said whilst passing a jug of pumpkin juice to Harry. “She rarely comes down from her tower,” he explained as Harry mumbled a “hullo” to the teacher and took his seat between the Headmaster and Snape. “Now Harry, it’s been nearly a week since you arrived, how are you getting on?”

“Erm, fine sir?”

“I see great trials and tribulations ahead of you…” Trelawney said all of a sudden, causing Harry to jump in his seat with shock at the prediction, nearly spilling the juice on the table as he poured some into his cup. “The cards foresee death for you. Yes, it stalks you like a cat stalks its prey; ever following, ever watchful…” Her eyes, wide and frightening, were magnified into huge orbs by her glasses as she stared off past his shoulder. This entire statement had the effect of causing Poppy and McGonagall to hide their smirks, unsuccessfully, in their cups; Snape stiffened – if possible – even straighter in his seat and Harry shivered; the woman gave him the creeps!

“No problems, I take it?” Dumbledore enquired calmly, as if nothing had been said, his eyes twinkling. Harry decided to take his cue from the headmaster and ignored the strange woman.

“No, sir, I’m fine.” He wasn’t quite sure what Professor Dumbledore was looking for, but he supposed by the look in the old man’s eyes, and the way Snape relaxed in his seat, that his answer was satisfactory. But apparently the questions had irked his guardian, even though his stance did not show it, for he picked up the conversation from his ward.

“What are you wanting to know, Albus? Checking to see if I’ve turned him into potions ingredients? I assure you, it hasn’t gotten that far – yet.” Severus speared some meat off of a plate as it was passed to him by Trelawney and shoved two large slices onto Harry’s plate as well. Harry spared a glance at Snape to see how serious he was, and was surprised to actually see warmth in the man’s eyes, although his face was as stern as ever.

Harry had already discretely poured a vial of his nutritional potion, that Snape had palmed to him on the way up from the dungeons, into his cup and he nearly spewed a mouthful of juice as he saw his guardian continuing to load up his plate. He would never be able to finish all of that! He glared up at Snape as the man began to fork several long roasted asparagus spears onto Harry’s plate.

“Why nothing, dear boy,” the headmaster continued blithely. “Just making sure that Harry here is settling in, that’s all.” He appeared not to notice the glares being parried between the two dark haired men over the amount of food on Harry's plate.

“I assure you, sir, that we are both doing tolerably well in that regard. He is well aware of the rules and, so far, has been diligent in keeping them in mind.” He shot a glance over at Harry, and Harry swallowed hastily, nodding his head in agreement. In fact he was surprised himself, if he thought about it, as to how well the week had gone. There had been no major arguments, no punishments – except once when he had used an epithet and Snape had washed his mouth out with soap.

That had tasted bad, and just the thought of the punishment brought the remembered taste of the soap sliver back to his tongue; so Snape was right when he said that Harry would think twice before saying those type of words in the future.

“Good, good. I’m glad all is in order. Minerva, have you tried these rolls? They’re heavenly!” he said, passing a basket to the woman next to him.

Severus looked down at his ward, who was making eyes at him, and pointing his chin at all the food Severus had piled onto the boy’s plate.

“Just eat what you can,” he whispered. Harry seemed to ease up a bit at that and began to concentrate more on his table etiquette, unfolding his serviette and placing it neatly in his lap. Severus sighed and started in on his roast, while half listening to Trelawney’s dire predictions from her seat on the other side of him. Merlin, he thought, it’s going to be a long dinner.

***

“Severus, can we have a word with you?” Minerva said to him, Pomfrey right behind her as Sybil floated past and started up the stairs toward her tower, mumbling about needing to check the cards. Severus sighed and nodded, but turned to the boy before joining the ladies.

“Potter, you have one hour pitch time – starting now.” Harry whooped and ran for the dungeon stairs to grab his cloak and broom. “And be back in the dungeons before dark!” he called after the boy. A faint “Yes, sir” floated back to him.

“Ladies, why don’t we retire to my rooms?” He swept a hand forward to indicate that they follow Harry to the dungeons.

“Actually, Severus, I would prefer we use my office.” Pomfrey stated.

Snape raised an elegant eyebrow at this, but nodded, “As you wish.”

The three headed for the hospital wing and were soon settled in some comfortable chairs in Pomfrey’s office. A window looked out towards the Quidditch Pitch and Snape could see Harry doing dips and dives in the early evening twilight. He shuddered at the sheer recklessness of the manoeuvres, but he turned his attention back to Poppy when she cleared her throat.

“Severus, it has come to our notice that Harry’s outward appearance is changing quite a lot. And too, I noticed, when I had to give him some blood last week while you were making more potions for him, that his blood type is very rare…”

“AB negative,” Severus murmured, trying to keep his face as stony as possible, not giving any sign that he knew where this conversation was leading.

“Correct, and neither James, nor Lily, had that combination. James was O positive and Lily was A negative. In fact I have had only one other student come through these doors who is AB negative…”

“Me,” he said resignedly. The Medi-witch nodded her head as she sat back in her chair.

“Care to tell us what is going on?” Minerva asked. “If we see something different, Albus will too, very soon,” she gently pointed out.

Severus sighed and ran a hand over his face, feeling the beginnings of stubble making his face rough.

“All right, I was going to tell you two soon, in any case, as you will need to deal with the repercussions.” He took a deep breath. “Lily and I were married, quite secretly, for about seven months before I convinced her to marry Potter legally, hoping it would keep her safe – at least more safe than being my wife. I was already spying for Dumbledore at the time. What she never told me, was that she was already six weeks along with my child when she married Potter. Everyone thought Harry was a month early, even I did until a few days ago; he was actually a month late.”

“So Harry is truly your son?” Minerva asked, a hint of a smile lighting her face, her eyes softening as she gazed on the man who had just discovered he was a father.

“Yes. Lupin was the only one who knew – well, I suppose Potter knew – and he told me only because the charms were due to wear off after the boy’s twelfth birthday. I’m assuming the changes are becoming evident?” he asked, fairly curious. Both witches nodded their heads and Snape grimaced to himself. He had been with the boy almost constantly all week, and so had not truly noticed all the changes taking place.

“Does Harry know?” Poppy asked.

Severus shook his head slowly. “No, but I was going to tell him soon. He has put down any changes to the nutrient potion and my shampoo.” He grinned a bit at this last and the witches chuckled for a second, as well. “He’s gone through a lot this summer, what’s this going to do to him?” he wondered aloud.

“I think he will handle it fine. Does he know about you and Lily?” Minerva queried.

“I told him. And he asked the obvious question as to why I hadn’t checked up on him. He was quite distraught.” The women nodded in sympathy. “I told him that I had asked after him and that Albus assured me he was fine.” They all grimaced as they remembered just how fine he had been just one week ago. Then Severus remembered a question he needed to ask. “Minerva, how are the first-year letters addressed?”

“Automatically by the Book. I certainly don’t do it, although I sign the letters by hand. Why?”

“Do you ever check to see what the addresses say?”

“No, should I?”

“It might have saved us all a lot of strife last term and this summer – we certainly wouldn’t have let him return to that demon-hole,” he commented. “Harry told me that his first letter was addressed to his ‘Cupboard Under the Stairs’…” he explained.

“His what!” she fairly growled in anger.

“Yes. Apparently the cupboard where I found him had been his ‘room’ up until when the letters came, and so he was rightfully angered last Monday when we had our little talk. He assumed that we knew what was going on in the house, actually that Albus knew, and didn’t care enough to remove him.”

“I knew there were some problems with him getting his letter – I ended up sending hundreds of them until Albus finally said to send Hagrid, as he felt that he was the most intimidating person and would be able to actually hand Harry his letter. I never realised… Oh, Merlin!” She buried her face in her hands and Poppy rushed over to comfort her friend.

“Minerva, it’s water under the bridge. We can’t worry about this now; it’s in the past,” her friend said. McGonagall finally straightened up and looked over at Severus.

“I’m so sorry, Severus. I promise that I will be more diligent in checking the accuracy of those addresses. The letters go out this week, as a matter of fact.” She used the hanky, that Poppy conjured, to dry her tears. “I told Albus that first night, when we dropped Harry off, that I felt Petunia wasn’t the right person to care for Harry. I knew she didn’t like magic, and I could tell she overindulged that beastly son of hers. I should’ve pushed more. I should’ve checked on him… I’m sorry.”

“Thank you, Minerva. I appreciate that. It’s partially my fault too. I also knew how Tuney could be – I grew up with her, for Merlin’s sake! I knew all too well how she felt towards Lils and Potter. But I wanted to believe Albus; believe that Lily’s son was being cared for properly. Perhaps this will teach us to be far less complacent. Maybe this way we can catch some problems before they arrive here.”  He sat up straighter in his chair. “If you detect any possible problems with the new batch of letters, let me know. I can recognize the signs of abuse far more quickly than the other teachers,” he insisted.

McGonagall nodded her agreement, wiping the last of the tears from her eyes as she looked out the window at the child who was currently flying patterns around Hagrid’s hut. Fang was running underneath, barking up a storm and Hagrid had his arms up in the air, clapping them in delight as he cheered Harry on.

Snape followed her gaze to the happy scene outside. “The changes will be complete in three weeks,” he said quietly. “Just as the students arrive. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you what this will mean,” he reminded them, and Minerva turned her gaze back to her younger colleague. “Harry will be the butt of many cruel jokes, and I’m sure that there will be many attempts at hurting him. If it gets totally out of hand, I will remove him from school and will either transfer him to another academy or teach him at home. Prince Manor is mine now, since my grandfather passed on – although I’ve never fully taken possession. I lived there for only a short time with Lily, and have only been back periodically, since. This might just be the reason to take hold of my inheritance.” He chuckled to himself.

“What’s so funny,” Minerva said with a frown. “I don’t see anything humorous in this entire situation; Death Eater’s will consider you a traitor, and Harry is going to be persecuted for a supposed affair his mother had with you! What’s funny in that?”

“I’m sorry, Minerva, I was just thinking about Dumbledore’s face when I tell him this news,” he elaborated for their benefit. Both ladies smirked as well.

”Oh, my, you’re right – it will be a sight to see. Can I be a cat in the corner?” She almost purred in anticipation, humour restored.

“If I can arrange it, of course.” The three chuckled at the imagined sight. “I’ll even provide you with a bowl of cream!” They all laughed outright at that picture.

“You know Albus will want to reapply the charms,” Poppy pointed out, after they had regained their composure. “Just so he won’t lose you and your abilities.”

“He can try, but these are charms Lily created. I don’t think even Filius could recreate them.” He glanced out the window and noticed that the light was fading quickly. “Well ladies, if I’ve satisfied your curiosity, I need to go collect Potter.”

“Let us know what we can do to help, Severus.” Poppy said as she ushered her fellow staff members to the infirmary doors.

“I will, Poppy, thank you. Minerva,” he said in farewell as he turned to the left at the doors and Minerva to the right.

The End.
End Notes:
Yep, Harry doesn't know yet. I promise he will find out in the next chappie.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1624