Bitter Sweet Revenge by Gryffinbear
Summary: Dumbledore sends Snape to check on Harry, and Snape reaches Privet Drive just as Harry collapses off his broom in his haste to escape from Vernon.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 27778 Read: 10747 Published: 01 Aug 2008 Updated: 08 Jan 2009
Chapter 3 by Gryffinbear

Harry groaned and opened his eyes. "I hate pain reliving potions." he swore out loud hissing as he sat upright and grabbed his glasses shoving them on to glare at the room.

"Almost as much as I hate a nice Snape" he mumbled.

"You really should not complain so much Harry” Merik thought to the boy while lying on the bed next to him.

Harry glared down at him. "The guy hates my guts and then he tries to run my life! I was doing fine on my own." he protested

Merik lifted his head off the comforter and stared at Harry "Yes your current condition proves that you were doing quite well on your own indeed Harry" the cub replied with a sarcastic tone to the boy's mind.

Harry frowned at him. "What does it matter to you?" he said.

Your health and well-being matters a great deal to me Harry and always will no matter what" Merik replied.

"You just met me!" Harry yelped!

That does not matter Harry, I am your Familiar, there was an everlasting bond was created the moment I met you that cannot be broken unless one of us dies "Merik said

Harry groaned. "Does this mean I'm stuck with you?" he said.

"Yes that is indeed what I mean Harry" Merik said.

Harry moaned and leaned back his eyes closing but his hand immediately went to stroking him. "You know it's not too smart to pair up with me...the survival rate isn't long." He said.

Merik started purring “don’t worry Harry I will not let anyone take me away from you unless I have absolutely no choice in the matter" he replied firmly.

"That's not very reassuring." Harry whispered. Closing his eyes relaxing at the sound "Everybody dies on me..." he muttered the images of Cedric's last moments flashing behind his eyes.

Merik let out a sigh then continued purring "I know Harry, but I will try my best to protect the ones you love so that will not happen again" he said.

Harry leaned and buried his face into Merik's fur. "I do not want to...loose you..." he whispered so Merik would have to strain just to hear his words.

Merik started to purr louder " I will try with a my power Harry to make sure that does not happen" he said

Harry rubbed his face and muttered in an odd language, Merik felt wards fall like silk over his small body.

"You did not have to do that Harry" Merik said as he curled up to Harry more.

Harry shook his head. "I protect my friends..." he said quietly.

Harry hissed in pain as he pets Merik more. "How is it that something as intelligent as you got stuck at a wizard’s pet shop?" he said.

" I was taken from my parents by a wizard and the sold to the pet shop, your guardian said he wouldn’t report the owner for illegal dealing if he sold me and the other cub to him because we were perfect for his boys" Merik replied.

"Well...I don't own you. And I'll see if I can get you back to your parents." Harry declared.

"It does not work that way Harry, I would have left my parents soon anyways to find my bonded, your guardian just made it easier for me" he said

"I...but it is not fair to you!" Harry protested.

It is Harry, it actually is safer that way most cubs are killed by predators before the even find their bonded" Merik replied.

Harry closed his eyes wincing. "Doesn’t seem right that you’re forced to be bonded anyway"

“It is our way of life Harry, do you want me to go get your guardian or that other man” Merik asked.

Harry froze. "Why? Why would I want to speak to either of them!" he rushed while hoping silently that Merik didn’t alert them that he was awake.

  

Because you are in pain and they can help you with it" Merik said.

"I do not need help," Harry countered.

Merik hissed then jumped off the bed and sprinted out the door. he ran down the stairs in search of the Dark haired man.

"Hey!" Harry protested loudly in Merik's mind.

“I will not let you lay there in pain Harry; you need to stop hiding your pain and other problems from people who could help you with them" Merik thought back as he sensed where the Dark haired guardian was.

"Oh Merlin please do not tell me you actually expect me to talk to the shrink!" Harry gasped in shock.

" Of course i do , he is here for a reason Harry he will help you and Draco through more than you think this coming year " Merik said as he reached the room Severus and Eithen were in .

 "Oh no!  Hell no! I draw the line there Merik...there is no why I am talking to him...he's more nuts than I am!" 

"He is not crazy, just a little overly happy " Merik said as he launched himself at Severus

“Merik! What is the meaning of this” Severus shouted as he almost fell over his desk chair.  Merik hissed at him then ran to the door. “What do you want Merik?" Severus asked confused.

Eithen laughed "I think he wants you to follow him” he said.

  

"Don't you dare Merik!  I swear you get back here and leave the two of them alone!" Harry shouted in Merik's head.

"Not a chance Harry you need help and you will be getting it whether you like or not!" Merik shouted back, then turned and hissed at Severus and Eithen again.

"I really think you should follow him Severus, maybe something is wrong with Harry” Eithen said then he got up and walked over to Merik who continued out the door” Are you coming Severus?" Eithen asked “Yes I am coming “Severus said walking around the desk and out the door following Merik towards the boys’ rooms.

 "You live to make my life a living a hell...which isn't nice! Why can't you not want to deal with things like this!" harry protested into Merik’s mind. 

"if you would go to someone with your problems i would be doing this " Merik said as he jumped up on the bed bouncing on it as Severus and Eithen walked into the room.

 Harry grabbed the kitten and turned it over tickling it on the stomach. "You live to make my life miserable" Harry hissed and clenched his fist in pain. 

“You cannot hide it now Harry or I will start jumping on you” Merik said.

Severus saw harry wince and pulled one of his pain potions from his robe pocket.

Walking around the bed Severus leaned over the boy “Harry drink this now" Severus said.

Harry glared at him. "I don't need any," he snapped clamping his mouth shut.

Merik jumped on harry chest making the boy wince “Stop... Being ...So...Dahm...Stubborn...Harry...And...Take...The...Stupid...Potion...Or...I...Won't...Stop...Bouncing...On...You!" Merik said each word as he bounced on Harry chest.

Harry rolled slightly grabbing Merik's tail firmly then he used his magic flinging the cub safely at Eithen.

Eithen caught Merik in his arms “why was Merik jumping on you?" he asked

 “I’ll get you for that harry!" Merik shouted in his mind.

Harry smirked at Merik. "Hey you started playing dirty! So I finished it"

Eithen walked over to harry and sat on the bed next to Harry. With one arm around Merik, Eithen started to gently poke harry in the ribs “Why won't you answer my question Harry?" he said smirking.

Harry grimaced but kept his mouth shut eyeing where Snape was least he make any move. "You know you’re almost as nice to me as good ol' tom Merik"

Merik jumped out Eithen’s arms and back on to Harry digging his claws in as he walked up Harry's chest " Do not ever compare me with that creature harry ever again!" he snapped in Harry’s mind.

"Then stop it!" Harry screamed back flinging him once again at Eithen.

“Take the Dahm potion and I will!" Merik shouted back.

"I do not need a damn potion!' Harry yelled in Merik’s mind, he was fighting back tears, seriously this was almost as bad as when he was at the Dursleys

Severus glared at Harry and Merik. The boy was obviously fighting with the cub because he could see the tears welling up in the boy's eyes. This had gone on long enough! Severus reached down and forced Harry's mouth open with one hand and poured the potion in with the other.

Severus dropped the vial on the ground then covered the boy’s mouth and used his thumb rub the boy's throat until he felt him swallow the potion down then he stepped back waiting for the explosion to begin.

Harry gaped at Snape staring as his body began to shake the room began to rumble slightly and the windows rattled.

“Severus did you have to do that!" Eithen shouted then Grabbed Harry and pulled him into his lap and leaned against the headboard. Eithen started to whisper in Harry’s ear trying to soothe his magic into calming down.

Harry flinched and pushed Eithen away raising his arms to protect his face while he shook.

Eithen wrapped his arms around the boy's chest gently once more “Shh...Shh... Harry it’s okay, your safe here ....you not in that bad place anymore , your safe Harry" he said as he sat up on the bed more and started to rock the trembling boy gently as he continued to reassure the boy that he was safe.

Harry shook his head trying to get away still as he shook. He wanted out, he wanted to leave now. His chest started heaving as he began to have trouble breathing.

Eithen sighed as Harry slipped further into his panic attack" Harry calm down little and Breathe with me , can you do that for me please, try to match my Breathing " Eithen said as he turned the boy around so he was laying with his back fully against Eithen's chest. Eithen started to breathe deeply then let out slowly.

Harry shook his head his breath becoming more labored and he heard a ringing in his ears. They were going to be killed...because of him just like the Dursleys! He struggled to follow Eithen's voice.

Eithen started to run his hand through Harry's hair " Come on Harry you can to do it , Calm down and breathe with me " he kept repeating softly into the boy's ear as he glared up at Severus , who just looked away guilty look on his face.

Harry closed his eyes shaking but slowly he began following Eithen breathing steadily.

Eithen smiled softly as harry began responding to him “there we go Harry , I knew you could do it , there’s a good Kid , Now keep concentrating on my breathing okay" he said as he continued to Glare at Severus.

Harry did as he was told his body going limp against Eithen's feeling as if he had done the fourth task all over again.

“Rest now harry, I won't let any mean Potions Masters come after you again “He said smiling down at the exhausted boy in his arms.

Harry closed his eyes then hissed in parseltounge to Eithen. "Not his fault..."

“of course it is his fault Harry, He should not have done that" Eithen replied back in the same language.

"Huh...well this sucks..." Harry said sleepily and finally fell asleep his hand going towards Merik in his sleep.

Eithen covered his mouth with his hand to smother his laugh as the boy finally drifted off to sleep. Eithen got up with harry in his arms then gently laid the boy back down onto the bed. Eithen carefully pulled the blanket out from under the boy then pulled them over the sleeping teen. He laid Merik next to the boy then stood up glaring fiercely at Severus.

“Outside Now" Eithen said in a low deep voice trying to contain his anger until they were out of the room.

Outside the room Eithen cast a silencing ward around them so that the yelling would not bother the boys.

" WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WERE YOU THINKING SEVERUS , THAT IS NOT HOW YOU DEAL WITH AN ABUSED CHILD" Eithen shouted.

Severus winced “I did not think he would react that way Eithen" he said. " Of course you didn’t think! , you never do that is what gets you in trouble all the time , I think you should take Draco and go back to Hogwarts, So that you cannot cause anymore attacks , I might not be able to pull the boy out next time you cause one" Eithen growled at Severus . Severus stayed silent at that last remark.

Meanwhile in a house...on the river front...

"But I wanna see da!" Declan whined as Melissa busied herself cooking dinner.

Melissa laughed. "Daddy can't make it right now honey." "I wanna see uncle Sevvy!" Declan whined.

Melissa sighed and turned around. "Dec love, he has to take care of those boys. Like Harry." Declan pouted but nodded.

Melissa turned walking over towards her son smiling, when the wall exploded throwing her to the floor rubble slamming against her arm. Sitting up she stared at the men in black cloaks that walked into her home. Her eyes darted to Declan and she struggled to stand she gasped and clutched her arm in pain; she could see beyond the bits of stone and blood her own bone. She quenched the urge to panic and grabbed her son holding him close as he cried.

"Well well...little Snape's sister? Who here knew he had a sister?" A voice behind the death eater’s mask said. Melissa shrunk back as wands pointed to her.

Her other hand slid to the locket and she closed her eyes thinking toward her brother. Severus...I'm so sorry...

At Prince Manor Severus gasped as he heard his sister's voice in his head “Melissa! Is there something wrong" He thought back through the link the lockets had created.

Melissa closed her eyes. “Goodbye.”

Severus gasped again “No! Melissa hold on I am coming!" he thought. “You can finished yelling at me later Eithen “he said to the fuming man in front him and disaparated thought his wards to directly in front of Melissa.

Melissa shivered shielding Declan with her body. She stared up at her brother with tears and fear in her eyes. "Oh gods Severus don’t get hurt!" Her eyes begged him to get them all out safe where he wouldn’t be hurt.

Severus pulled Melissa up off the floor and picked up Declan into his arms. “Hold on to me Melissa" he said.

She clung to him, her body shivering from shock as she did so cradling her wounded arm.

Severus wrap his free arm around Melissa and disaparated once again just as the Death Eaters realized who had just popped in front of them. Severus landed back in front of Eithen in Prince Manor.

“Eithen! You can be mad at me later could you please help me bring her up to the bedrooms. Eithen snapped out of his rant and finally noticed that Severus had other people with him, he did not even notice the man leave! Eithen slipped his arms under the woman and lifted her into his arms. “Lead the way Severus “he said. Severus blinked then practically ran down the hallway with Declan in his arms stopping at a door almost directly in between the boy's rooms.

Severus pulled the door opened and quickly walked in with Eithen following closely behind. Severus pulled out his wand and conjured a child size bed next to the four poster bed in the center of the room as Eithen laid the woman gently on the bed. Severus laid Declan on the small bed and turns to his sister “Melissa what happened?" he questioned.

Melissa swallowed and smiled nervously. "I think snake face sensed what and who I was when I...erased your mark." she said sheepishly she moved and sat on the edge of the bed staring at her son.

"Are you okay sweetie?" she asked soothingly as she moved to stand.

Eithen stood in the room confused, He could of sworn that Severus had just ran into the Manor's library instead of a bedroom until he noticed the bed in the center of the room.

“Melissa stay on the bed, Declan is fine “Severus said.

Melissa shot her brother a dirty look and stood and went to her son careful with her arm as she stroked his tear stained face. "Hey there sweetie." she whispered as Declan began to whimper looking unsure between his mother and his uncle. He could tell his uncle was worried but he did not know what to do.

“Declan come sit on my lap while I fix your Mum's arm" Severus said as he sat down on the end of the bed.

Declan glanced at his mother again and slid into his uncle's lap clinging to his mother's good hand. Melissa raised her eyes to Severus and...Slapped him. "You idiot! What were you thinking endangering yourself like that! You could have been killed; you had your back to those wizards!" She shrieked at him.

Eithen slipped quietly out of the room to check on the boys . Severus put his hand on his cheek for a moment “I knew what I was doing Melissa, It does not matter what danger I put myself in “he said as he wrapped an arm around Declan.

Melissa stared at him tears streaming down her face. "You could have been killed!" she whispered shaking as she stared at him.

Severus Wrapped his other arm around Melissa shoulders " It is okay now Melissa , your safe now they will not be able to find you here" he said softly.

Melissa leaned into her brother. "They were trying to hurt you by killing me and..." She said shaking her head.

Severus rubbed her shoulder gently “I know Melissa, but it is over now. Will you let me fix your arm now?" he asked

Melissa closed her eyes. "It's not...that bad." She said her eyes on her son. She would not let Declan see it.

Severus sighed then looked down at Declan “Declan can you cover your eyes for me , your Mum does not want you to see her arm while I fix it" he said to the boy.

Melissa glanced at her brother hesitantly. "Sev I worked in a hospital I can do it myself."

“Melissa I am a licensed Medi-wizard as long as Potions Master I think I am quite capable to fix your arm" Severus said

"I...but..." She gave her brother a look that he had seen countless times on his snakes.

Severus sighed again then stood “Declan want to see Harry?" he asked the small boy.

Declan brightened. "Arry!" He declared gleefully giving Severus a sloppy faced kiss.

Severus wiped his cheek with his robe sleeve, “Melissa stay here, I will return in a moment then I will fix your arm" he said heading for the door.

Melissa stuck her tongue out at her brother's back throwing a pillow at his back. "Twerp." she declared as Declan giggled.

Severus shook his head as he left the room and head over to Harry's room. He walked in to see Eithen tormenting Harry again. “Harry there is someone who wants to see you" he stated.

 Harry looked up thankful. "Hey Declan!" He sent Snape a look that said he wanted explanations later.

 Severus set Declan down on the bed “watch over Harry for me Declan while I go help your Mum Okay" he said to the little boy.

Declan nodded and crawled onto Harry's lap. Then to Eithen's surprise Harry and the boy began to talk to each other openly like kids.

Eithen looked at Severus shocked “Who are they Severus?" he questioned.

Severus shook his head “Later Eithen, I have to go help Melissa before she changes her mind and starts to refuse again" he said walking out of the door

Melissa was pacing the room, her arm hurt and she had a headache but more than that she was scared to death. Her uninjured hand clung to the locket as she paced...Sirius hadn't been there...he hadn't come like he promised if she ever needed him.

Severus walked back into the room to see Melissa pacing " Melissa what is wrong, why are you pacing" he asked as he walked up to her.

She waved him away with a hand. "It's nothing..." she said as she continued pacing her arm cradled against her.

Severus grabbed her shoulders gently as she walked pass him again " Stop this Melissa and let me help you, then we can go see Harry " he said.

Melissa stared at her brother dully. "He didn't come...we set up wards around my apartment...so he would know if I was ever in trouble...he didn’t come..."

Severus sighed “there could be other reasons why Black didn't come, Dumbledore has made him a prisoner in his own home" Severus said softly

Melissa shook her head. "We triggered the wards to obliterate any obstacle standing in his way to get to us." She smiled sadly.

“Well then the mutt is an idiot if he ignore them “Severus said.

Melissa laughed. "Mutt?" she shook her head and then leaned into her brother.

Severus wrapped his arms around her “Of course what else would i call that man" he said.

"He's almost your brother in law?" She pointed out then hissed in pain pressing a hand to her abdomen.

 “What is wrong?” Severus asked.

"I..." Melissa began but doubled over her face going white.

Severus scooped her into his arms quickly walked over to the bed. Laying her down gently, he pulled out his wand and ran a scan over Melissa, sighed in relief when it showed that the baby was fine “Melissa everything is okay , the baby is fine , you just have some bruising on your stomach." he said.

She nodded closing her eyes as another wave of pain hit. "Okay...I know I'm alright.."

" Will you let me fix arm now?" he asked gently

Melissa gave her brother an annoyed look. "Alright..."

Severus smirked back at her then reached up his robe sleeve and pulled out a different wand casting a numbing charm on to Melissa's arm with it.

Melissa stared at her arm then raised her eyes to her brother. "We're going to have to work on communicating to each like oh when you pull a wand on me!" She said exasperated.

Severus laughed “Melissa you know I would not hurt you , why are you making such a fuss" he said as he silently casted a bone mending spell on her arm.

Melissa shook her head at her brother. "You make no sense at times. I don't want you pointing that wand at me again." She snapped.

"I cannot heal you if I do not point the wand at you Melissa, I am afraid that i am not very good with wandless magic" he said.

"Well then I can handle my arm myself!" She said stiffly glaring at her brother.

Severus conjured an arm brace then slipped his healer's wand back into its holder. He pulled all the straps open on the brace then slipped it over Melissa's arm then pulled the straps back into place " there I am done " he said

Melissa smiled at her brother her eyes half lidded and she yawned. Leaning forward she left her head on his shoulder.

Severus picked Melissa up into his arms " Well lets go see Harry , before the boy goes crazy with worry , you can go to sleep in there" he said as he walked towards the door. She clung to him already asleep in his arms.

Severus shook his head as he walked out her door. 'She did even last a minute, now the boy was going to question him more because she fell asleep on him' he thought as he walked into Harry's room once more.

Harry himself was curled up with Declan in his arms and Merik by his head. Sound asleep protective over the child.

Eithen saw Severus walking back into the room with Melissa in his arms. “Are you going to tell me who they are now?" Eithen asked. Severus sighed 'he does not want to tell Eithen who Melissa was, but he does not have much choice' he thought as he sat down into one of the chairs in the room "Melissa is my younger sister and Declan is her son, my nephew" he said.

Eithen eyes widened "Okay, but why is Harry so open with Declan, he will not talk to me that way?" he asked.

"It is because Melissa practically raised Harry so he see Declan as his little brother and is very protective of him" Severus replied.

Harry opened his eyes and glanced at Snape. "So it was death eaters" Harry declared not asked.

"Yes” Severus said looking at the boy.

Harry shook his head. "They weren't happy you know, you left and they got punished bad."

Severus smirked “well is it their own fault that they just stood there when I appeared in front of them" he said.

Harry snorted though his body shook for a minute before he closed his eyes. "That they did"

Severus studied harry for a moment noticing that boy's body shook with slight tremors as if he had been hit by Crucio. “Harry did any of those curses come through the link while the Dark Lord was punishing them?" he asked ignoring Eithen's gasp at what he was implying.

"....Noooo" Harry said rolling his eyes.

Severus stood up and laid Melissa next to Declan then walked around to harry. “Your body tells me otherwise" he said smirking as he knelt down next to the boy.

"Does not!" Harry snapped curling tighter around Declan. "You’re going senile!"

" I would hope not , I would think that 35 is a bit young to go senile just yet" he said then pulled out a blue colored potion " drink this I will get rid of the tremors from the cruciatus" he said handing over the vial.

Harry took it glancing cautiously at Eithen. If the man found out about the visions and the effects of them then he might become more...pushy

Severus saw the boy look at the potion and then at Eithen and sighed. “Do not worry Harry, Eithen will not ask you anything about your visions, because if he does than you have my permission to hex him” he said smirking at Eithen annoyed look.

Harry snorted but took the potion closing his eyes.

Severus smiled at the boy " Are you going to be okay for now , do you think he will leave you alone for a while so you could actually get some sleep tonight" he said.

Harry snorted. "You never know with good ol' tom see he doesn't like being predictable."

"Yes, I know that very well, He would kill you if he hears you calling him Tom" Severus said

"Really? Remind me next time I see him to call him that."Harry snickered

"I would not advise that Harry, he truly loathes his real name" Severus said

"I know. That would be the point...names true names have a power all their own. "Harry said his eyes taking on the glazed old man look to them.

"By the way...where's Draco?" he questioned.

“He is in his room sleeping Harry, Why do you ask" Severus said

“No reason I was just wondering” Harry said as he curled around Declan letting himself slip into sleep once more.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1631