Selene Lily Potter: Year One by Nightshade
Summary: (AN: I wanted to try the Mini Lily challenge so here it goes.) Selene Lily Potter is literally a mini clone to her mother Lily Potter nee Evans. How will this affect Severus Snape, the nasty Potions Master?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Girl!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Miniature Lily
Challenges: Miniature Lily
Series: Selene Lily Potter
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 18058 Read: 38589 Published: 06 Aug 2008 Updated: 28 Jan 2009
Friends, Enemies, and Trust by Nightshade
Author's Notes:
Thank you for the lovely reviews! I hope to see more. LOL!
Enjoy!:)

Sel slowly approched the Gryffindor table, 'Don't take any grief, Sel.' Selene said to herself.

Neville Longbottom looked up and moved to make room for Sel. "You can sit here, Selene."

Smiling slightly. "Thanks Neville." Selene sat down and ate her dinner in silence. Manny of her fellow Gryffindors were staring at her in shock and...distrust?

One boy stood and approched Sel with a look of total hate in his eyes. "What are you playing at, Potter?" the boy demanded. His dark hair and eyes giving him an intimidating demenor.

"Go away, Zacharias." Ron Weasley said while glaring at his food. Obviously Ron was afraid of the boy.

Zacharias glared at Ron. "Or else what weasle?"

Ron stayed silent.

Smirking Zacharias said. "Thats what I thought. I'm a third year, so you had better show me some respect. Got it?"

Ron didn't say anything.

"I said, 'got it?'" Zacharias looked evil now.

Before Ron could say a word, Sel stood and said coldly. "Leave him alone. And the same goes for me. Sod off."

Zacharias blinked. As did everyone else. No one ever stood up to Zacharias Steel. Ever!

"What did you say to me?"

"I said 'Sod off.' Or are you deaf as well a stupid?" Sel didn't know where this daring or bravery came from, but she felt good.

"Is there a problem here?" Professor Sprout asked.

"No ma'am." Sel said as she sat down next to Neville and started eating again.

Zacharias took a deep breath and smiled. "No ma'am. There is no problem. I was just introducing myself to the first years."

Professor Sprout didn't look confinced. Zacharias Steel, third year Gryffindor, was a known bully and even studdents in higher years avoided him. There was no doubt in anyones mind that Zacharias was a bad egg. Always was, always would be. He had proven that several times in his two years at Hogwarts.

"Go eat your dinner Mr. Steel." Without another word she headed toward the staff table.

Nodding, Zacharias turned and knelt down and whispeard into Sel's ear. "You have just made a big enemy of me, Potter. This is my school, and Gryffindor is my house. You are to follow my rules or else." He squeezed Sel's shoulder and said quietly. "You had better stop being friends with those snakes, or I'll see to it that you don't have any friends in any house. Understood?"

Sel remained silent and nodded. Praying he'd let her go.

Smirking he released her and headed toward the third years.

"Wow." Neville said quietly. "No one has ever stood up to Steel before."

Ron nodded. "He's going to make you life hell now, you know?"

Sel nodded and stood. "I'll see you guys later."

Hermione Granger stood and handed Sel a piece of parchment. "This is the password, incase you forgett."

"Thanks." Selene didn't even glance back at the hall, she just left and headed toward the dungeons, eager to get this night over with.

***

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Severus looked up. 'She's here already?'

Clearing his throat he said calmly. "Enter."

Slowly the door opened. He immediately noticed Selene's nervousness. 'Good Lord, she's scared of me?'

"Close the door, Potter." he internally cursed himself when he saw that his tone of voice wasn't helping. 

Standing, he proceeded to ready the potion ingredients. "You will be assisting me in making a calming draught for Madam Pomfrey, the schools healer."

Sel nodded.

"Come." His voice rang with impatience.

Sel flinched, unwillingly, and stood beside her Professor.

Sighing, 'I am really screwing this up!' Snape berated himself.

"I appologize P- Selene. I didn't mean to snap. You could say I've had a trying day. I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

Selene blinked. Did he just say he was sorry?

"It's-it's ok, Professor."

Snape nodded and continued to chop some frogs legs. "Pass me the Unicorn hairs please, they're the silver ones in the small jar."

Sel gently took the jar and handed it to him.

"I see you know a valuable ingredient when you see it."

Sel shook her head. "Not really sir. I-I just didn't want to take any chances in messing up somehow."

Snape snorted. "I highly doubt you could, 'mess it up;' a Hufflepuff could do it."

Sel remained silent. No need to tell him that her family had alway yelled and punished her for being clumsy.

"I see you made friends with two of my serpents." Snape said after a few moments of awkward silence.

Sel looked up. "Yes sir."

Snape noticed the look of nervousness and fear in her eyes. 

"A word of advice, Selene. Don't go making enemies of those more powerful than you. I know sometimes it can't be helped. But I think you could have avoided that Zacharias boy."

"You know about that?"

"Yes." Snape turned and eyed Sel for a moment. "Did he hurt you?"

Sel shook  her head quickly. Too quickly.

'Why am I lieing to him?' Sel thought.

Snape didn't look convinced. "I'll take your word for this one Selene. But I should tell you; I can't help you if you don't let me."

Sel blinked. No one had ever wanted to help her before.

Trying to change the subject Sel said quietly. "You've been calling me Selene."

Snape raised an eyebrow. "So I have."

Selene gulped. "I thought you hated Gryffindors?"

"I do."

"But...I don't understand, sir." Selene felt small.

Severus sighed inwardly. 'She's so uncertain. She's not just shy like Lily was...there's more to this. I'll have to tred more carefully. But how can I gain her trust? Just a little so I can get to know her.' Severus knew what he would have to do. And as painfull as it would be; for some unknown reason he felt a strong need to get to know Lily's daughter.

"I...I was friends with your mother, Selene." His voice had weakened.

Sel blinked. "Really? You knew her? Did you go to school with her?"

Snape blinked. His eyes far away. "Yes. I went to school with her. We grew up together."

Selene smiled brightly. "Please Professor, can you tell me what she was like? No one has ever told me stories of when she was a little girl. Not even Bert and Mrs. Figg. Please, sir? Please?" Sel begged.

Snape blinked. Never heard stories of Lily? "Didn't you grow up with the Dursley's?"

Sel's reaction to the name was instantaneous. She flinched and backed away as if afriad to be struck.

"Selene?" Severus felt worry cloud his mind.

Sel only looked blankly at the wall. Fear in her eyes.

"Selene?" Severus slowly approuched the frightened girl. But she only continued to stare blankly over his shoulder. A memory clinked in Severus's mind and he said softly. "Sel? Sel, can you hear me child?"

Sel blinked and looked into her teachers eyes. "Sorry, sometimes I black out like that. I'm sorry." She looked nervous. "Please don't send me away! I promise to stop blacking out. Please!"

Severus's heart lurched into his throat at the sound of Sel's voice. It was frightening to think that anyone could be that afraid of anything. Especially an eleven year old child.

Suddenly a memory came into his mind. A memory he had long sense locked away. A girl a little younger than Selene but looked exactly the same comforting a scrawny boy with a cut on his cheek who was sobbing in pain and fear.

It hurt him to think anyone could hurt a child, especially Lily's. Brave, beautiful, and kind Lily.

Someone had hurt her child and he at that moment vowed to find out who. He'd be damned if Lily's child went through a hell anything like his own!

"I won't send you away child. I promise." Trying to not spook or make her feel any more fearful, he waved his wand and made the potion they had been working on vanish. "Would you like to sit down?"

Sel took several deep breaths and nodded.

Waving his wand again, two comfortable chairs appeared. As well as too cups of something hot.

"It's alright. It's just hot chocolate." Severus took a seat and waited paitently for Sel to feel comfortable enough to do the same. All the while he was thinking about how he was going to go about this. He had never really been good at giving comfort.

Sel slowly sat down. "Hot chocolate?"

Severus smirked slightly. "Yes, don't tell anyone this, please. But I am actually very fond of it. As well a coffee."

Selene smiled alittle. "I have never had hot chocolate before."

Severus blinked.

Sel quickly ducked her head; had she said something wrong?

"Well then," Severus's voice was calm. "I think it's time you did." He pressed the warm mug into the child's hands.

Sel sniffed it and instantly calmed. Slowly she sipped it. "It's great!"

Severus's lips twiched. He never out right smiled. He smirked, yes, but never smiled. "I'm glad you like it, Selene."

"Sel."

"Pardon?"

"Sel, I like my name and all, but I'd rather be called Sel." Sel stopped. "Mrs. Figg said my mum used to call my Selly. I don't know if thats true." Sel looked at her mug.

Severus sighed. "Yes, Lily always liked nicknaming people. Even me."

Sel smirked. But she didn't dare ask what her mother had nicknamed the Professor.

"Very well, Sel." A strange warm feeling came over Severus.

The two remained silent for a long time. By the time Sel was done with her hot chocolate Severus had made his decision. He would not push Sel for information. Not untill they're relationship was stronger and he technically had the right to ask. Not untill he had Sel's trust.

"Thank you for the hot chocolate, Professor."

"It is no problem Sel, just don't expect it everytime you have detention with me." Severus smirked.

Sel smiled. "Ron was wrong, your not mean."

Severus sighed. "Sel...I need you to promise me you won't tell anyone I was kind to you. I have a certain image I have to keep. Not because I want to, but because I have a certain role to play...agaisnt the Dark Lord. I can't give you anymore information but I do need your word that you won't tell anyone. Do I have it?"

Sel nodded. "I promise Professor. I won't tell anyone." A thought then came to Selene. "Sir? Were you like a spy or something? I mean, do you also think Vol- I mean You-Know-Who is alive?" 

Severus was silent for a moment. A sad look in his eyes. Guilt? Shame? "Yes, Sel. I was a spy durring the last war. And in the event that the Dark Lord should ever return our side may need a spy. Do you understand now why I must ask for your silence?"

"Yes sir." Sel nodded.

Severus looked up at the clock. "It's nearly curfew. You had better go back to your tower. But know this Sel; you are welcome here. Just be sure no one knows." Severus cleared his throat. "Please understand Sel, if I say something hurtful or take points, it's only for my cover."

Sel nodded. "Ok, Professor. Thanks again for the hot chocolate." Slowly she stood and headed for the door. But then she stopped. "Professor? Do-do you suppose I could come back sometime and you could tell me some stuff about my mum? Please?" Sel pleaded.

Severus nodded. "I suppose. But don't come down on your own. Leave it to me. Don't be surprised if It happens sooner rather than later." Motioning for her to leave he said kindly. "Good night Selene."

Selene smiled and said. "Good night Professor."

Once the door was closed Severus sighed. "I'll protect your daughter Lily. I won't let her suffer the way I did. Or any other way if I can help it. I swear it!"

To be continued...
End Notes:
Did you like it?! Please review!
Thanks, Nightshade:)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1645