Selene Lily Potter: Year One by Nightshade
Summary: (AN: I wanted to try the Mini Lily challenge so here it goes.) Selene Lily Potter is literally a mini clone to her mother Lily Potter nee Evans. How will this affect Severus Snape, the nasty Potions Master?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Girl!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Miniature Lily
Challenges: Miniature Lily
Series: Selene Lily Potter
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 18058 Read: 38587 Published: 06 Aug 2008 Updated: 28 Jan 2009
Dreams, Talks, and the Darkness by Nightshade
Author's Notes:
Hi. A big thank you to everyone who has reviewed my story so far.
Nightshade :) LOL!

The darkness was getting closer. Sel continued to run through the forest. Someone of something was after her!

Sel could hear the creature's panting as it chased her further into the forest.

Darkness continued to surround her, getting closer. As did...it!

A huge shadowy creature on four legs stalked closer and closer to its prey...to Sel!

Sel tripped and fell head first onto the cold, hard forest floor. She could hear the creature growling behind her. Suddenly the very air she breathed was like a poison. Everything around her was absorbed by the darkness.

"Hello, Selene Potter." a cold voice whispered in the wind. Surrounding her. "How do you like my little pet so far?"

Sel trembled. The voice was deadly, even while it was so quiet. The growling was getting louder.

"My pet won't hurt you till I tell it to." the voice laughed.

'Wake up! Wake up, Sel!' Sel kept shouting to herself in her mind.

The voice laughed again. "Foolish child. You are mine. No one can save you now."

Sel spun onto her back; a tall cloaked figure stood off to the side. "Goodbye, Selene. My servant and my pet will see to it we meet again." A giant wolf like dog with glowing green eyes sprang at her. His teeth sharp and ready to rip her to shreds...

"Selene!" Hermione Granger's voice broke through.

Sel's eyes flew open.

"Are you alright, Sel?" Hermione asked worriedly.

"Y-Yeah. It-it was just a nightmare. I'm fine."

Hermione nodded slowly. "If you're sure."

"I am." Sel did like Hermione, even though she could be a know-it-all like everyone else called her. But they weren't close enough for Sel to confide in her about her nightmares.

Hermione had tried to become friends with Ron Weasley but he and the other Gryffindors had made fun of her for being smart. Sel of course had told them all off for it, and since then there had been some kind of... acceptance between them. Hermione was made fun of because she was a muggle-born and was smart. Sel was bullied for being friends with Slytherins.

In a strange sort of way they were the same.

Hermione sat back on her bed. "You slept in. If you want to make it to Professor Snape's on time you'd better be going"

Sel jumped out of her bed. "How the heck did I sleep in that much? I've never slept in like that before." Sel grabbed a pair of her cousin's jeans and a T-shirt.

"You haven't been sleeping well." Hermione answered honestly. "You mumble and moan in your sleep most nights."

"R-Really?" Sel didn't want to think of what Hermione and the other girls must have heard, while she begged her Uncle to stop in her sleep. Or when she screamed for help when the darkness came after her. His cloaked master laughing all the while.

"Yes, don't worry though. I would have woken you up if you had started talking actual words or it looked like it was really bad." Hermione said kindly.

Sel turned away from her roommate to hide her relief. Though her nightmares had been horrible, she'd somehow managed to hide it from the other girls. 'Thank you, God! Or thank you Merlin, or whomever!'

"I'll see you later Hermione; could you tell Ron to tell the guys I'm most likely going to get stuck in detention for a while?"

"Sure." Hermione opened a book on Transfiguration.

"Thanks." Sel grabbed her back pack and headed down toward the dungeons, where Severus was most likely waiting for her.

***

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Severus looked up from his work and said calmly, "Enter."

Sel opened the door and headed toward her professor. "I'm sorry I'm late sir..."

"If I wanted to hear your excuses I'd have asked, Potter." Snape snapped while motioning with his eyes to close the door.

"Now sit down and start scrubbing those cauldrons, before I take points."

Sel made a point to slam her bag onto her desk. As Severus made sure the door was completely shut, and then he placed several protective spells onto the it.

"Now we may speak freely. I don't doubt that young miss Malfoy was evesdropping." Severus sat across from Sel. "You were going to explain why you were late."

Sel blushed. "I-I haven't been sleeping well lately and I guess I was kind of tired."

Severus raised an eyebrow. "You guess? Sel, why didn't you tell me you were having sleeping problems?"

Sel shrugged. "It wasn't a big deal."

Severus sighed. "Well...Would you like to talk about it? That sometimes helps."

Sel shook her head, but inside she wonderedif Severus really could help.

"Very well." Severus looked sad.

Sel hated the thought of making her newfound friend sad. So she quickly made up her mind. She wouldn't tell him about Uncle Vernon, but she could tell him about the darkness.

"It's usually about... I mean." Sel bowed her head and tried to start at the begining.

"At first, I'm just walking around the school. I know someones following me, so I start to run. But then everything is gone...there's nothing! Its like I'm hovering in this big black hole. There's nothing but darkness and space around and under me. After that I'm in a Dark Forest. And then this huge thing, I think it's a wolf or something, is chaseing me! And it's eyes are glowing green. For a long time I'm just running away from it...and the Darkness. Suddenly I reach this clearing, and I fall." Sel took another deep breath. "That's when he comes."

"Who?" Severus's eyes were locked with hers.

Sel felt as if someone was in her mind. She didn't like that feeling. Quickly she blinks and looks down. "The Dark Man. I don't know who he is. But he calls the creature his pet, and he knows my name. He always say's that his servant and his pet will see to it that we meet again." Sel looked up and shrugged her shoulders. "I usually wake up after that. Sometimes the Darkness does get me, sometimes it's the...thing." Suddenly Sel remembers. "My scar hurt alot when I have that kind of nightmare. Do you know why Professor?"

For a long moment Severus just stares at Sel.

"How long have you been having these dreams?" He finally asks.

"Since the opening feast, why?"

Severus leans back in his chair and traces his lips with his forefinger. "I-I believe you should tell me if you have these dreams again. Especially if they change or your scar hurts more than usual. Alright, Sel?"

"Yes, sir." Sel didn't understand why though.

Severus stood and opened one of his cabinets. "This poition is called Dreamless Sleep. You can't take it alot because it has addicting ingredients. But I think it would be safe to take it tonight and then again on Monday. But thats it."

Sel took the vial and stared at the light blue liquid. "So I won't have any dreams?"

"Yes."

Sel looked up at Severus. Why was he being so kind to her? Wasn't she the burden? The freak?

Severus saw th confusion and...pain? in Selene's eyes. Why did this girl puzzel him so? And why was she always confused and in pain when he said or did something to help or comfort her?

Sel was the first to recover her mind. "Thank you, sir. I mean, Severus. I know you didn't have to give me this.."

"Selene, I want to help you. You never have to thank me for that. And if you ever have a nightmare that you want to talk about my door is always open to you. And you can talk to me about anything else as well. Not just your nightmares." Severus's lips twitched the way they always do when he was smiling.

Sel smiled back. She desprately wanted to throw her arms around him the way she had the night before. But a little voice inside her head told her that Severus wouldn't appreciate that. But that didn't stop the longing.

"I'll remember that, Serverus."

Severus smirked when she said his name. "So, I hear you and your friends flew around the school durring your free period."

Sel instantly blushed. "I didn't break any rules did I, sir?"

"No." Severus laughed slightly. "You didn't break any rules. I was just wondering if you enjoyed it."

Sel's eyes twinkled brightly. "Yes! Flying is awesome! I love it."

Severus chuckled at the girl's obvious joy.

"Your parents enjoyed flying as well." Severus's eyes went dark slightly. "Y-your father used to play Quiditch. He was...quite good."

"Really?" Sel asked.

"Yes." Severus looked like he was going to continue when Professor McGonagall's voice rang throughout the school.

"All students are to report to their dormitories immediately! Teacher's report the the third floor corridor IMMEDIATELY!"

Severus didn't waste any time in rushing Sel into the corridor. "Down the hall there is a portrait of a wizard with a serpent on his arm. The password is Salazar. Those are my rooms. Stay there till Minerva, myself, or Albus come and get you. Do not by any means leave these rooms!" Severus looked directly into Selene's eyes as he said these last words.

"I-I won't sir. But..."

"Selene, if I can tell you anything, I will. Now please stay here. You'll be safe." Severus patted Selene's shoulder. And took off down the hall heading toward the third floor.

***

All the teacher's stared at the body. If one could call it that.

Little Flitwick squeaked fearfully. "W-what could have done this, Albus?"

Albus Dumbledore stared down at the corpse. "I do not know, Filius. But we must find out before it stirkes again."

Severus didn't need to look up to know everyone was nodding. No. He had eyes only for the man he had been secretly spying on for over three months now. For the former Professor Quirell's dead body.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know, cliffie. Please don't hate me. I had to do it! *ducks behind a bookshelf.* Those of you who have writen fics before know what I mean. Please, please review!
Nightshade :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1645