Selene Lily Potter: Year One by Nightshade
Summary: (AN: I wanted to try the Mini Lily challenge so here it goes.) Selene Lily Potter is literally a mini clone to her mother Lily Potter nee Evans. How will this affect Severus Snape, the nasty Potions Master?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Girl!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Miniature Lily
Challenges: Miniature Lily
Series: Selene Lily Potter
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 18058 Read: 38589 Published: 06 Aug 2008 Updated: 28 Jan 2009
Halloween and Trolls by Nightshade
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. But with school and everything I haven't had time to write. I have also been having writer's block. So I am posting what I have already thought up and the next chapter will be the rest. I hope you all like it. And please review so I know what you all think. I'm also open to any ideas, if you wish to share.
Thanks :)

Sel paced around Severus’s sitting room, waiting anxiously for someone to come and tell her what was going on.

“Don’t worry, child.” Salazar Slytherin said kindly. “Severus will tell you everything he can when he returns.”

Sel glanced up at the portrait. “But what if he can’t tell me?”

“Then that’s that.” Salazar shrugged.

Selene sighed. Suddenly she felt dizzy. “Sir?” Sel grabbed the edge of the table to try and steady herself.

“Miss? Are you alright? Miss?!”

Selene fell forward and hit her head on the table. Everything went black.***

Selene was standing in a dark corridor; three dark shadows stood a little ways ahead.

“Our master is most displeased with you, Quirrel. So much so that he has asked his most loyal servant to dispose of you.” The cloaked figure laughed coldly.

“You-you can’t do this, A-”

SILENCE!”

The darkness growled at the DADA teacher.

“I have nothing further to say to you, Quirrel. I’d say you’d be missed; but I’d be lying.”

With a snap of her fingers the darkness consumed Quirrel. His screams ear piercingly loud. Selene fell to her knees! NO! NO! NO! This can not be happening!

The Witch laughed throwing her hood back. Selene’s heart stopped. She…it…the Witch was…HER!

Selene found herself staring at a colder, much more beautiful, and older version of herself. But it couldn’t be?! Her mother was dead! Who was this woman?!

NO! Oh God please, no! Selene shivered as the woman suddenly locked eyes with her. “Hello, Selene. I’m looking forward to finally meeting you.” Her smile was wide and cold.

“Now sleep.”

***

“NO!” Sel’s eyes flew open, tears streaming down her cheeks.Black eyes met green.

“Sel!” Severus’s face was full of worry. “Take deep breaths. It’s alright. It’s alright.”

Tears continued to flow unchecked down Sel’s face as she sobbed. “He’s d- dead! Professor Quirrell’s dead. T-the Darkness killed him!”

“Selene! It’s alright; everything is going to be ok. I promise everything will be alright.” Without a moments hesitation he wrapped his arms around the small child and rocked her, whispering words of comfort. And after what could have been hours, or merely minutes Selene had fallen asleep in the arms of the Potions Master.

Severus stared down at Sel’s sleeping face. She looked so sad, so vulnerable. “I don’t understand how anyone could even think of hurting you, little angel.” Severus whispered. He then shook his head. He was getting soft! Had he really just called Lily’s daughter, the little girl who was quickly slithering her way into his icy heart, little angel?

Severus sighed and lifted her up. Selene gripped his robes, moaning in distress. Smirking slightly Severus whispered softly. “I’m right here, little one.”

Selene relaxed in his arms but kept her strong grip.

Laughing, Severus sat down on his sofa. ‘What am I going to do with you, child?’ he thought.

As Selene slept Severus worried and pondered over everything he had learned. Selene was having nightmares. Somehow Sel knew about Quirrell. But what was this Darkness that Selene kept mentioning? And why was she so afraid of it? Wait! If Selene knew Quirrell was dead, perhaps she’d know who or exactly what had killed him. Other than this…Darkness.

“Severus.” Albus’ head appeared in the fire.

“Headmaster.” Severus’s sneer dared the old coot to laugh.

Albus’ eyes twinkled slightly. “I see that young Selene is in good hands. May I come through?”

“You may, Albus.” Severus sighed.

Albus Dumbledore stepped through and approached them quietly. “Is she well?”

“Tired. As well as frightened. She knew Quirrell was dead, Albus.”

“Did she? How; did she say?”

“No.” Severus sighed and looked down into the small child’s face. “I don’t know what to do Albus? She reminds me so much of her. But I can’t forget that she is also his.”

Dumbledore sat down across from his young friend. “Severus, I do believe you should put your past behind you. Not just for your sake but for Selene’s as well. I have seen how she is starting to matter to you.”

“How?” Snape demanded.

Dumbledore laughed sadly. “You act differently when she’s around or when her name is mentioned. You also have this expression on your face. If I didn’t know any better Severus, I’d say you were a very protective father watching his daughter sleep after a horrible nightmare.”

Severus stiffened. Was he that obvious? He was putting Selene in danger….

“Severus. Don’t you dare think of leaving this child to protect her. I have looked into your suspicions…I believe you are correct. The Dursley’s have been hurting her. I have no proof yet. But I believe the signs are there. One must only look.”

Severus barred his teeth. ’How dare someone hurt Lily’s child….Selene. Oh damn! He was so confused.

“Severus,” Albus said sadly. “She needs you. Whether you see it or not.”

Severus stared down at the small child in his arms. Did she need him? And could he give her the help she needed?

“I have a meeting with an old acquaintance who was interested in having the DADA job. Perhaps now would be a good time to bring Selene to her common room?”

Severus stood and summoned his house elf, Fiona. “Please bring Selene back to her room. Don’t wake her, or let any of her dorm mates know she was with me other than for her detention.” Severus pulled out a piece of parchment and quickly wrote a message.

Selene,

I had to send you back to your dorm before anyone could notice your absence. If anyone asks where you were, tell them I made you stay in the dungeons when all the staff went to check on the third corridor. Do not tell anyone about Quirrell! I’ll talk to you as soon as I can. Please be careful. Whoever or whatever killed him is still around here somewhere. Don’t ever go anywhere alone. Stay in groups.

Sincerely,

SS

Once he was satisfied Severus handed Fiona the note. “Give this to Selene once she awakens.”Fiona nodded and ’popped’ away with Selene.

***

Selene read Severus’ note and sighed. ‘How can I not remember something so important…so terrifying?’ she thought to herself as she searched her mind for the woman’s face. That was the only thing she couldn’t remember! How?! Completely angry with herself she vowed then and there to keep her friends safe and to keep her eyes open for the Darkness and the Witch.

***

Three weeks later

 

It was Halloween. Sel hated Halloween. Luckily her friends didn’t press the matter.

“Look on the bright side.” Ron tried to comfort her. “Tomorrow’s your first Quidditch match.”

“Whoopee.” Sel said tiredly. True she was excited a little about the game. But she was also nervous.

Zacharias Steel had spelled the school’s bludgers to try and knock her off her broom while she and her friends had been flying. Professor McGonagall, who had been heading toward the headmaster’s office at the time, had witnessed Selene nose dive and escape. But not before she had caught the rubber ball Ron had been throwing around.

Selene Lily Potter was now officially the Gryffindor seeker!

Much to Severus’s displeasure. ’Quidditch is a very dangerous sport!’ he’d said when Sel had given him the news. Sel, even now, felt slightly hurt that Severus hadn’t proud or happy about her place on the team. But that was that. What hurt the most though was the fact that she hadn’t had a chance to speak to Severus since that night. He’d ignored her. Why? If it was because of Quidditch she’d gladly give it up to have her friend back. No questions asked. But what if Severus didn’t want to be her friend anymore?

That thought alone clogged Selene’s throat with pain.

“Sel, are you alright?” Draco asked as they headed toward the great hall, for the feast.

“Yeah.” Sel lied.

Blaise and the two other boys simply stared at her. They knew something was wrong. “Are you nervous about tomorrow?” Blaise asked.

“A little. But I’m fine. Really.”

Suddenly a ghost, Nearly Headless Nick, appeared into the great hall.

TROLL! TROLL IN THE DUNGOEN! TROLL!!!!!

The hall was silent.

One sec, two sec…

Screams!

Everyone leapt to their feet and screamed. Ghosts flew around the ceiling scream bloody murder.

Dumbledore stood. “Silence!” Everyone went silent. “Students will proceed to their dormitories immediately. Teachers will follow me to the dungeons. Now.”

Sel ran over to Ron and pulled him slightly to the side. “Neville said Hermione’s in the girl’s bathroom. Malfoy and Pansy ganged up on her in the library.”

Ron paled. “The troll…”

“I know.”

“What are you guys doing?” Draco demanded as he and Blaise were passing them.

“We have to warn Hermione.” Sel said sternly.

“But Sel…” Blaise began.

“The teachers are already gone. We have to get Hermione and ourselves to safety.” Sel said turning around and running down the hall.

“Sel! Sel, wait up!” Draco shouted.

“Yeah, mate. We’re coming too!” Blaise and Ron added.

Sel smirked slightly. “Thanks guys.”

The friends turned a corner and stopped abruptly. “No.”

There in front of them was a huge troll stomping his was into the girls bathroom.

“Come on! We need to move!” Ron whispered harshly.

Sel didn’t even wait to come up with a plan. She just ran headfirst into the danger zone.

Hermione stood stock still. White as a ghost.

“Hermione move!” Ron shouted.

Draco, Sel, and Blaise aimed their wands at the troll.

“Hey, pea brain!” Blaise snarled. Throwing a large piece of wood at the troll’s head. Big mistake!

“Blaise, look out!” Sel shouted, while dodging the troll’s club.

“Help!” Hermione begged as the ceiling started to collapse.

Sel ran forward and grabbed a hold of the club. The troll lifted her up into the air. And grabbed her by the foot. He was just swinging his club to smash her brains out when Sel’s mind screeched. ‘Freeze!’ she thought the word with every ounce of her being.

Suddenly the troll did just that, literally! Icicles appeared everywhere and the troll turned blue. His club inches from her face.

“Bloody hell, Sel!” Ron shouted.

Draco and Blaise stared at her in awe and shock.

“Is- is it dead?” Hermione asked.

“No. Just frozen.” Sel answered as she tried to get down. She was starting to get dizzy with all her blood rushing to her head. “Could someone help me down please?”

Draco laughed as he went over to her. “Hey Granger, know any heating charms by any chance?”

Hermione nodded approaching Selene.

“Don’t worry Sel; I’ll have you down in a second.”

What on earth is going on here!” a very angry Potions master demanded.

“Pr- Professor Snape!” Hermione paled.

At that moment Professor McGonagall and a woman none of them had seen before entered. “Explain yourselves!” Professor McGonagall stuttered.

The boys quickly started talking all at once.

The unfamiliar woman held up her hand. “Before anyone say’s anything shouldn’t we help Miss Potter down?”

Sel silently thanked her.

“Yes, yes quite right. I’m sorry Potter.” Professor McGonagall made to retrieve her wand but the lady beat her to it.

With a swish of her wand Sel found herself sitting on the wet floor. “Thank you, Miss?”

Smiling warmly she laughed. She was a very beautiful woman with long curly auburn hair. Her eyes where mossy green, her lips bright red. It was like looking at a bright light. “I’m Zinerva Alimond. The new DADA teacher.”

“Enough of this,” Snape snarled angrily. “We are getting off topic.” He turned his glare onto Selene. “What were you foolish children thinking? You were told to go to your dormitories!”

“But sir…” Sel began. Not liking that he was yelling, especially that he was yelling only at her.

“No excuses! You foolish, idiotic,”

“Severus that’s enough!” Professor McGonagall snapped. “I agree that what they did was foolish. But there’s no need to frighten the child. Especially seeing as she’s not the only culprit!”

At this Snape went silent. Sel could have sworn she saw a flash of…regret? In the potion teacher’s eyes. But she doubted it. A lot.

Professor Alimond stepped forward and spoke gently but sternly to Sel. “Can you explain why you and your friends disobeyed a direct order?”

Sel nodded. “I was on my way to do as Professor Dumbledore said when I heard Neville telling Padme that Hermione was in the girl’s bathroom. The teachers were already gone so I decided to warn Hermione about the troll.”

“And your friends followed?”

“Yes ma’am. And a good thing they did.” Sel hoped they could tell how much she appreciated their loyalty.

The DADA teacher nodded. “I think points are in order. 5 points each.”

Sel and her friends smiled.

“Oh, and good work on the freeze charm, who did it?” Alimond asked.

Draco smirked and pointed to Selene.

Alimond winked and said again. “Great work.”

McGonagall sighed. “All of you to your dorms. Now.”

Quickly they ran to obey.

“Ten house points to Slytherin!” Blaise shouted happily.

“And ten points to Gryffindor!” Ron beamed.

Hermione swallowed and stared teary eyed at the four students that had saved her life. “Thanks for saving me guys…I-I’d probably be dead if you hadn’t…”

Blaise smirked and swung an arm around Hermione’s shoulder. “That’s what friends do.”

Sel smiled.

“Potter.”

Oh shit!

Sel slowly turned to face her potions teacher. “Yes sir?”

Snape eyed her for a moment then said gruffly. “Follow me.” Abruptly he turned and headed toward his office. Feeling dread inside, she sighed and followed. Leaving her friends behind feeling sorry for her.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review! And also for now on I'll try and update at least once a week. But no promises.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1645