The New Kids by nixglen
Summary: Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape are summoned to appear in front of a mysterious Council. Snape is instructed to adopt Harry Potter!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fantasy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 22823 Read: 47829 Published: 05 Sep 2008 Updated: 21 Sep 2008
The Shore by nixglen
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I don’t own anything except the characters that you don’t recognize
Thanks to AngelAuthor14, my awesome beta, go read her stories

The next week was the last week of the school year, and after the sumptuous Leaving Feast the students departed, leaving only the staff, house elves, Merlin and Harry. Knowing that the end of summer would bring a major workload Severus decided to take Harry on holiday. So the two of them, along with Daisy and Dobby, packed their bags and prepared to leave for a month at the shore in Newquay. This was the first time Harry had been outside of Hogwarts for any length of time, so he was excited, but not nearly as excited as the two elves. Daisy was beside herself trying to be sure she had everything that everyone would need and Dobby wanted to raid the castle's kitchen to fill three coolers and four bags full of food. Severus had to threaten him with a gift of clothing to make him give up on that idea. Unbeknownst to the eagle-eyed professor however he still managed a couple of bags of food, he was taking no chances of his Little Master being hungry.

When they finally got to the resort it was time for Harry to go to bed. After reading two stories and finally getting the child to go to sleep Severus wandered out onto the patio and stood watching the moonlight play over the water. The man, who had always been just the Potions Professor, didn't know exactly how had gotten himself into this situation. He wasn't sure he would be able to be a good Headmaster, he still wasn't sure that he was a good father, and being brutally honest he had to admit to himself that he was afraid.

"I would never admit that to another living soul," he murmured aloud.

"Well, Sev," said a voice from the shadow of a large oak tree "I'm not a living soul, so I guess that's all right."

Turning, he saw Lily standing at the dark end of the patio. She was engulfed in a soft white light. As she smiled at him the light got a little brighter, and her green eyes twinkled.  "You’re going to be just fine Severus," she continued. "You have changed in the past few years my friend. I always knew that you weren't the terrible ogre that you tried to become after you took the Dark Mark and I've been waiting for you to realize it. I know you will come to full realization soon, which is one of the main reasons I wanted you to adopt my son. Having Harry is one of the things that will help you realize your own worth, and your new position will help too.  I know you will teach him not only the skills he needs to be a successful man, but you will give him both the spiritual and the moral foundations he will need to become a good man."

Snape looked at the shade of the only woman he had ever loved and asked, "Why haven't you come again before? It's been so long, and Harry didn't even see you the other time you were here."

"No, Severus, he didn't see me, and he cannot for many more years. If I appear to you in his presence he still won't hear or see me. I have been around you both much more than you realize. When you are in need of my help you will be aware of my presence, but only then.” She paused and looked at him seriously, “Your new post as Headmaster of the Pre-School will help you too when it comes to Harry. He is going to be extremely powerful but he will not be the only one who is. The children who will be coming into your school are different from the students Hogwarts has taught before. They are going to have special skills and special talents. Never be afraid to let Harry, or any of the children express themselves Severus, that is most important. But always remember that they need discipline too, in fact they want discipline, and all children do. You will be able to find the balance you need Headmaster Snape, you are going to be fine."

With those words Lily wasn't there anymore. She didn't apparate and didn't exactly disappear or fade from sight, she just wasn't there. Snape spent several hours that night on the patio, listening to the breeze, and the waves and enjoying the moonlight on the water.

The days at the shore passed and father and son finally had time to spend together. Back at Hogwarts Snape's duties frequently left Harry spending most of his time with the elves. Severus did try to spend quality time with him, but it just didn't happen very often. But now morning would find the two walking along the sand dunes, with Harry laughing with joy, as he ran in and out of the frothy waves.

Severus loved to walk down the beach with Harry darting ahead of him, stopping every few steps to pick up a seashell which he would put in a little pail that he carried every time they went onto the beach. Severus most definitely did not love the times Harry decided to throw bread or crumbs to the gulls. Nasty, noisy creatures! A few times he had to make a hurried trip inside to take a shower and shampoo his hair. Harry however continued to feed the birds because Snape, seeing how much the boy loved it, did not have the heart to deny him.

So the month passed slowly and peacefully. The only high drama occurred one afternoon just before they were scheduled to return to the school when the Professor took Harry for a swim. Wild horses could not have dragged Severus Snape out onto the beach in a bathing costume, so he stood on the shore while Harry happily paddled in the waves. The man's attention was drawn for just a few seconds by a sea gull diving after a fish and when he returned his gaze to his son, his son was not there. Snape's heart dropped when he saw the empty expanse of water! Desperately searching the waves he saw a small pair of glasses floating in the water, and black curls just under the surface! Frantically he ran into the water and dove to where he had seen the curls. Seeing his son floating just ahead of him, he grabbed the small body and headed for the surface with Harry in his arms.

He stumbled onto the beach and laid his son down on the sand. The child started coughing and was immediately violently sick as his body got rid of the seawater he had ingested. Seeing this, Snape collapsed beside Harry and lifted him into his arms with tears mixing with the salt water on his face.

"Harry, I was so afraid. I was afraid I wouldn't get to you in time. I cannot even think what I would have done if you had left me," he cried.  Suddenly the truth dawned upon him, he loved this child. This was his Son and always would be. He could not even imagine what his life would be without the little boy in it. He felt two small hands upon his cheeks, and looking down his brown eyes met the green ones. After a few long seconds Harry smiled and said, "I love you too Daddy."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1660