The New Kids by nixglen
Summary: Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Snape are summoned to appear in front of a mysterious Council. Snape is instructed to adopt Harry Potter!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fantasy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 22823 Read: 47832 Published: 05 Sep 2008 Updated: 21 Sep 2008
Head Over Heels by nixglen
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, JK Rowling does – sigh!
Thanks again to AngelAuthor14, my wonderful beta

A week later Severus walked into the nursery and Harry looked up with a smile. The change in the baby was amazing; he had gained weight, had rosy cheeks and smiled frequently. For the past couple of days he raised his little arms and jumped up and down every time he saw his Daddy, making the wizard realize that he had been missing something in his life.

He worried about Harry though; he had found him several times with silent tears rolling down his cheeks in the middle of the night. Those were the nights that he took his son to bed with him. He could tell that the little boy trusted him to keep the monsters away. Then too, there was the fact that Harry still had not spoken a word. He hadn't even laughed out loud. This lack of sound coming from a baby just could not be natural.

While he was thinking about how to help the boy he heard Albus calling from the floo. Walking to the fireplace he saw the old Headmaster's head inside the flames.

"May I come in Severus? It’s very important, I have something to give you."

At Severus's nod he stepped into the room holding two boxes and a letter.

"Severus, a deliveryman from Gringotts just delivered these for you and Harry. They were found in the wreckage of the Potter home and put in their vault at Gringotts with instructions to deliver them to you and Harry. They had been misplaced, which is why you have not received them before. They also sent their deepest apologies. Call young Harry in here and let's see what this is about."

When Harry opened the larger box his brilliant green eyes became as big as saucers. There was the little toy broom that his Uncle Padfoot had given him on his birthday, and the little snitch that had come from Uncle Moony. He jumped on the broom and hovered twelve inches above the carpet, just like his Father had taught him to do on that last afternoon in Godric's Hollow. He looked up at Snape and Dumbledore and he was so happy that for the first time they could see his aura. He shone like a bright star and all around him were different shades of blue, the baby's joy could be seen shimmering in the light. Never had the two wizards seen anything like it, it was indescribable. They could do nothing but stand and stare in awe.

When he could tear his eyes away from the happy boy Severus glanced down at the letter. He immediately recognized Lily's handwriting! Deciding to deal with the letter and the smaller box later after Harry was in bed, he excused himself and went to his room to put them in a safe place.

While his Dad was out of the room Harry released the tiny snitch. As Albus watched with a twinkle in his eyes and a smile on his face, the little boy chased the snitch around the room. Suddenly, disaster! Harry came flying around the corner at the same time his father was coming into the room and WHAM!! Harry got him at knee level and the Professor, feared by every student at Hogwarts, flew up in the air, went head over heels and landed flat on his back with his robes up over his head!

Before Severus had time to realize exactly what had happened to him he heard a sound that he had not heard before. He heard a child's laughter. Moving the robe from his face he looked up at a little boy hovering over him and laughing!

With a smile on his face Professor Severus Snape stood up and said to Albus, "Leave it to James Potter's son to fly me down and then laugh about it!" Picking Harry up he laughed with the baby.

"Yes, wouldn't James be proud of his son now?" laughed Dumbledore. Still chuckling aloud he stepped into the fireplace and returned to his office.  Looking at Fawkes he said, "you know old friend, Harry Potter is the best thing that has ever happened to Severus. I believe that soon he is going to realize that the feelings he is beginning to have for his adopted son are love."

Snape was thankful for the sound of Harry's laughter and wanted to hear it again. He called Daisy and asked her to get the baby dressed warmly. When Harry came back with his warm clothing on Snape picked up him, his broom and the snitch and took them outside to fly.

Harry and his Dad spent the afternoon outside. Harry was already showing a marked talent for flying and Severus could tell that he was going to have to teach him some rules, but for today he just stayed close to him and watched carefully. After the little daredevil almost gave him a heart attack by flying out over the lake Severus took him back into the castle.

Later, after dinner and bath time Severus tucked Harry into his bed. Kissing him goodnight he said, "Good night son, know that you are safe and that you are loved. I will hear you if you call to me."

Leaving the sleepy child he retrieved the letter and the small box from his room. He put the box to one side and opened the letter.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know this is short, and I apologize. I just wanted to get this part over so I could go on to Lily. Harry wouldn’t leave me alone until I did.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1660