Of Love, in Unexpected Places by ObsessiveaboutSnape
Summary: Summer after fourth year is finally over, and things are not as expected when Harry makes it back to the magical world. Badly broken and determined for it to stop, Harry turns to, surprisingly, a certain Potions Master, who in turn finds within himself, of all places, a heart still beating and waiting to love, and be loved in turn.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Deaging, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 116904 Read: 274256 Published: 23 Sep 2008 Updated: 27 May 2013
Chapter 14 by ObsessiveaboutSnape
Author's Notes:
YAY! Another chapter. Please read and review. Classes in next chapter, I promise!!!

Severus fought the urge to frown. Just how many things was he supposed to deal with in one twenty-four hour period?

“If I had known that visiting you yesterday would have inclined you to return the favor, I do believe that I would have taken slightly less legal routes to obtain guardianship of the boy,” he intoned.

Cornelius, for his part, looked supremely unruffled, and even went so far as to pretend to feel insulted. “Then I suppose it’s just as well that I’m not here to see you,” he sniffed. Sticking is nose in the air, Minister Fudge trotted past his taller brother, over to where Sirius and Remus were watching the display with wary interest.

“Sirius Black, I am here in my capacity of Minister of Magic, to extend to you, on behalf of the ministry of Magic, its officers and staff, and the entire membership of the Wizenmagot, our humblest apologies and profuse wishes for your future in light of the revelation of your wrongful sentencing and imprisonment.” Pausing for breath, he pulled an official looking scroll from one of his many pockets. “And I’m also here in my capacity as Severus’ older brother to say the damned idiots shouldn’t have put you away in the first place.” He struggled with a disgusted expression for a moment, and then his face cleared. As a slightly evil looking Sirius looked it over with obvious glee, Cornelius explained, “That’s the official proclamation of your innocence, to be kept securely for future references, of course.” While Sirius and Remus gazed over the rather wordy proclamation, he made a show of pulling another scroll from another pocket, unfurling it with a snapping flourish to gain their attention. Two sets of eyes snapped up at the sound, and Severus rolled his eyes from his corner.

When the Minister remained silent, Sirius’ curiosity got the better of him. “What’s that then?”

“This is yours,” Neil said, handing the scroll over. “It’s a sum of all compensation given to you by the ministry, a sum I don’t mind admitting that I had a rather large amount of fun twisting their arms to get you,” he continued, not bothered in the slightest that he had to raise his voice over the gasps and gurgled stuttering the figures on the new parchment evoked. He studied his nails in a pure imitation of the elder Malfoy. “Just standard payment for unlawful imprisonment, violation of your right to a proper trial, multiplied by the number of years you spent in prison, the years you spent as a wanted fugitive, the price of the bounty on your head up till yesterday, and double the amount of prisoner’s tax the House of Black has had to pay out to the government.” He paused his nail inspection to look up with a smug look on his face. “Plus interest.”

Sirius looked like he was having trouble getting air into his lungs. Severus mentally pouted. All this time he had been trying to cause grievous harm to the idiot wizard without getting caught, and here his HUFFLEPUFF brother waltzes in, and has more success than he ever had. He huffed in frustration, and stepped forward.

“Black, since you seem to be having difficulties with your breathing already, perhaps you could make me eternally happy and die. I’m sure I’ll be perfectly content for the rest of my days with the knowledge that you kicked the proverbial bucket right here in my quarters.” He walked to stand over his brother and, on a whim, glared down at the rounder, shorter man. “Are you quite done yet? I’d rather like to get a start on my day, if you don’t mind.”

Cornelius pouted, and then grinned. "I thought you loved me, Sev?” he said, turning to wrap his fingers around one of Severus’ folded arms. “Do you truly want to get rid of me already?”

“Yes,” Severus sad coolly. Cornelius fell into a spectacular pout and Sirius snickered. “Very well, since you tire of my presence, I shall take my leave. But not before I see my nephew, and not before I extend an invitation to all of you to attend the Official Clearing and Reinstating of Status ceremony to be held one week from today, in the Ministry’s Grand Ball Room.” With a flick of his wand, thick square envelopes appeared in the air before all three men.

“Will we have to bring dates?” Sirius asked anxiously, plucking his invite from the air and looking the envelope over. “I don’t think I have time to find a date. I don’t think I could find a date.”

Severus rolled his eyes and ignored the envelope that was still floating before him. “Dates are not required, Black.”

“Not for the general audience, no,” Neil interjected. “But for you, Lord Black, as the guest of honor, and you, Severus, as guardian of Black’s godson, yes; you need dates.”

Sirius was looking supremely worried, while Severus scowled and snatched the envelope, which was insistently bumping into his chin, from the air furiously. “I shall not be attending, Cornelius.”

“Oh pish-posh, Severus,” Cornelius breezed. “Of course you will. I’ve even secured a date for you and everything.”

Severus paled, and simultaneously grew red with rage. His mind flashed back to his fifth year, when he had let his older brother talk him into attending a Muggle prom with sister of one of the then twenty-seven-year-old’s many girlfriends. Severus still held a grudge over that event to this very day. The night had been horrible, to say the least, and he had since learned that he should pick his own dates to any and every event from then on.

Not that he had had much opportunity to pick said dates, but that was beside the point.

“Just who did you assume would be a passable date this time, Cornelius Bernard?”

“There’s no need to go there, Severus Abaraxus Dominov!” Cornelius retorted. They glared at each other for a few moments, before Neil decided to be the bigger (and older, more mature) adult and looked away. Straightening his robes he answered the original question. “For your information, it just so happens that Miss Nerissa Ethridge has agreed to accompany you.” No one said anything about the slight blush that suddenly appeared on the normally sour man’s face. No one was ready to die just yet.

“And I suppose you want me to leave Harry here at the school while I’m out gallivanting, do you?” Severus snapped, trying for a sneering tone and only making it about halfway. No one mentioned that either.

“Of course not, Severus." Neil chided. “How cruel do you think I am? I know that new fathers have that need to always have their child close to them. Harry is, of course, invited, as is your godson, Draco, you silly man.” Neil shook his head like Sev had asked some ridiculous question, and then gestured impatiently for the man to move.

“Well, go on, call the boy. I’d very well like to visit with my nephew before I attempt to head back to the office, young chap.”

When Severus turned and stalked down the hallway after giving Neil his patented Death Eater Glare Number One:Supreme Force, the minister hid a grin. He only ever called his younger brother ‘young chap’ when he wanted to irritate him. So far, after thirty-some odd years, it still worked.

A few minutes later, a slightly wet looking, pouting Harry came trudging out of the corridor, followed by a smirking Severus and Draco, and a Ron who looked to be caught between amusement and indignation.

Neil didn’t know what had happened, and he promptly decided that he didn’t want to.

“Harry, child, how are you doing?” Neil beamed, settling onto the sofa and patting the cushion next to him.

“I’m fine, um, Mr. Fudge.” He shot a sulky look over at his guardian. “Though Sev seems to think I needed a lesson on washing behind my ears.”

All the adults in the room grinned, though quickly hid them as the boy looked around. Unfortunately, Harry saw them. “I do not! I’m perfectly capable of cleaning my own ears,” he insisted hotly.

“Sure you are, Harry. That’s why behind your ears were grey and sticky, unlike the rest of you,” Draco drawled from his position in Sev’s armchair.

Harry crossed his arms, and threw himself into the back of the couch. “Shove of, Draco. And you could have warned me. How was I supposed to know he’d throw a Mrs. Weasley?”

Severus was outraged. “I did not throw a Mrs. Weasley!”

Ron snorted a laugh, and grinned unapologetically up at his professor. “Yes, sir, you did.”

Severus narrowed his eyes. “Mr. Weasley, if I were you, I’d keep your opinion of such matters to yourself. Is that clear?”

The boy’s grin hadn’t been abated though. “Of course, sir.”

Severus humphed, and turned his glare to his brother. “Are you leaving now?” he asked irritably.

Cornelius sighed good-naturedly and turned a sorrowful gaze to Harry. “You see what I have to deal with?” The boy grinned. “And, for future reference, little one, the name is Cornelius, or Neil, if you’re not trying to sweeten me up for something,” he added, playfully wagging a finger at the teen. Cognizant of the still glaring wizard, Neil heaved himself to his feet, and trotted towards the Floo. “Severus, our mother would be sorely displeased with the way you treat your older brother, you know.”

The younger man had come to stand next to the Minister near the fireplace. “I’m sure she would be. Therefore it is most fortunate that Eileen is dead, do you not think so?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Cornelius gave him a good-natured glare, and then turned to throw a handful of Floo powder into the fireplace. He was about to step in when he caught sight of something that made him freeze.

“Merlin, Severus, have you seen this?” The pudgy minister made his way across the room, all the while gazing at a rapidly more uncomfortable-looking Ron. “Those eyes.”

“Erm, sir?” Ron began tentatively, backing up a bit. “Are you alright?”

“Quite alright, my boy,” Neil replied, eyes locked onto Ron’s blue orbs, walking closer. “Quite alright.”

Inches away from the now incredibly nervous Ron, Severus had had enough. Walking briskly, he approached his brother, who was giving the teenager what he deemed a highly inappropriately searching look, and snatched the man back by the arm. “Just what do you think you are doing, Cornelius?”

The man stumbled back loosely, bringing wide brown eyes up to his taller brother. “It’s just, he has Mother’s eyes!”

Severus stared, uncomprehendingly at his brother for a moment, before the words sank in. Haltingly, he turned his head and sought out Ron’s eyes. Blue, far too dark to be normal, fringed with pale red lashes. The resemblance was…..unsettling…

“Do you see it?” The question came to him as if travelling through water, rippling and distorted until he could make sense out of it. And then he abruptly shook himself, and snapped back to focus. “No. No I do not.” He spun around quickly, towing the shorter man behind him. “I will see you in an hour. In the meantime, take a Clarity Draft, and sit still.” He spun the man to face him, narrowing his eyes as he willed the man to keep silent. Cornelius made no complaint. “Now, get out.”

Shooting his brother a mildly irritated and insulted stare, Cornelius conceded, but not before waving his wand in Harry’s direction. Giving the boy a wink, he scampered through before Severus discovered what mischief he’d wrought.

Harry, though, for the most part, was terribly confused. Severus had suddenly seemed real angry with his brother near the end, all because Ron’s eyes looked like their mother’s. He didn’t think it was something to be so put out about though, and mentally pushed that thought over to his guardian. What he got back was a snippy feeling, along with a little annoyance, though not directed at him. Harry tentatively asked if the man would explain, and got a firm, resounding ‘no’ for his efforts.

Slightly miffed, Harry pulled the tiny pouch that had appeared in his pocket a moment ago and peered inside, only to have to stifle a grin, and tuck the pouch away for later. Draco and Ron were giving him curious looks, and, because there were three adults in the room, two of which would highly object to the amount of sugar on his person, purely for the purpose of consumption, he said what he thought passed as clever code. “Toad cousin.”

Draco looked stumped for a moment, but Ron seemed to get it right away. Smirking, he mumbled something under his breath, before stretching, and looking towards the door. “Well, I should probably be going,” he said, to Harry’s shock, to Severus. “It’ll take me a while to explain where I’ve been so early in the morning and on a Sunday too.” He smiled ruefully. “Then it’ll be another hour of lecturing, followed by a whole day of stony silence.”

There was a loud “Oh!” from Draco, who, apparently, had just figured out Harry’s code. The green-eyed boy shot him an amused look, to which Draco responded, “Look, I didn’t take much Muggle science classes, did I?”

Grinning, Harry turned to look for his godfather, carefully avoiding his professor’s general direction. Sirius and Remus had their heads bent over a large sheet of parchment that they were writing on, alternately scribbling something for the other to see and crossing something out, much to the other’s annoyance. Amazingly, though, there was no yelling, or even any genuine anger. Harry supposed it had to do with knowing someone your whole life. He knew, and mostly didn’t like to think about, that when he grew up (well, more likely if he grew up) he’d want someone who knew and loved him like his dad’s two best friends loved.....

Wait….

“Remus, Sirius?”

No matter how busy the two men were a second ago, Harry’s voice had the power to clear their thoughts and focus their attention solely on him. Suddenly, he was a bit nervous. This really wasn’t any of his business...

“Are, um…” Geez, this was hard. “Are you two together? Like, um, in love?” Harry kept his eyes steadfastly focused on the chair of the sofa he was sitting in, idly fingering a button on his shirt. He didn’t see Severus’ evil grin as he sat himself in his armchair, (that Draco, sensing his impending doom, had just vacated) or the blank looks Remus and Sirius were giving him.

Harry blushed harder, feeling very stupid. “’M sorry, I know it’s none of my business…”

Sirius shook himself. This was his pup. “Harry, pup, no. While Remy is still on the fence about men, I personally prefer the curvier, soft, dele- " he paused at the looks Remus and Snape were giving him. “I like girls,” he amended, nodding emphatically for good measure.

Remus though, wasn’t done. “How do you know I wanted him to know that?” he asked, slapping Sirius on the back of the head. “Who says I wanted three of my students to know, let alone SEVERUS!”

Sirius looked sheepish. “Sorry. You don’t have a crush on Severus, do you?”

Remus massaged his temple. “No, you idiot.” He suddenly looked weary, though, and Sirius was concerned.

Severus, seeing that Harry was beginning to become upset for seemingly upsetting his godfather, decided that commenting on the matter would not be the best option right then.

“Black, Lupin, I have an errand to run. Harry, you can either stay here or head up to Gryffindor Tower with Mr. Weasley. Draco, you may inform the Slytherins that I will meet with the entire house in one hour and fifteen minutes exactly, and have everyone assembled by the time I get there.“ He spoke to each person in turn, meeting their eyes to make sure his messages hit home. “When I return to these chambers in an hour, I want them empty. Do I make myself clear?”

Sirius rolled his eyes and Remus smiled good-naturedly. “Yes, Severus, perfectly clear. Come on, Sirius.”

Sirius stood, and started shrinking his parchments with a thoughtful look on his face. As the boys prepared to head out, (after Harry had stolen a warm, soothing hug from Severus, firmly relieving him of the notion his guardian was mad at him) Sirius seemed to make up his mind.

“Draco, may I speak to you for a minute?”

Everyone froze, and Sirius rolled exasperated eyes. “I’m not going to eat him! Go on; get out, all of you. An hour, I remember. SHOO!”

Finally, with much suspicious backward glances, everyone cleared out, leaving Sirius and Draco alone.

The first thing Sirius realized, when he turned from scowling at the door, was that he was faced with the trademark Malfoy mask. He nearly cursed himself. How could e have forgotten that the slightly relaxed kid from earlier was the Heir to Malfoy Manor, capital letters and all? Heaving a sigh, he decided that the best way to break it down was a head on assault.

“Hey, kid,” he said cheerily. “Let’s sit down, yea?”

Clapping the boy on the shoulder and steering him towards the living area, Sirius braced himself for what he was going to do. After all, this could end very badly, as Remus had pointed out.

Once seated, he took a minute to study the blond boy’s face, and was oddly satisfied to se a bit of uncertainty there. Good. There was a lot of hope then.

“Look, Draco, I’m going to jump right into it, ok? Sev told us about the Slytherins defecting from the crazed pureblood ways, and I realize that that puts you, and all your friends in a bit of a sticky position. Now, your godfather, Remus and I have come up with a plan, kind of, though Sev still thinks its bullocks and is going to blow us all to hell.” The boy was looking confused, so he decided to get back to the point.

“What I wanted to talk to you about was your status as a minor in our world. I know you know that when push comes to shove and the crap it’s the fan, Severus should get custody of you. I also know that you know that your father can kick that law out the window so fast everyone who matters will doubt it was even there.” The boy had paled, but nodded. Sirius wasn’t sure he was supposed to be worried, since he hadn’t a clue if silent Draco was good or not. Either way, he still had to plow on.

“Now, the only other way to keep you away from him, and by extension, Mord Voldikins, is for a Head of House to claim you.” Another nod. Maybe this would go alright. “Your mother is my cousin, first cousin, I think, and since she married into a pureblood family and followed all their little rules, she was never disowned. Though my parents acted as if I was no son of theirs, I was never formally disowned, and as the last living member of the house of Black, I can claim you as a blood relative, and as such you’d be entitled to everything I have, much like you are with your father, I guess.”

Sirius had never thought a kid could unnerve him, but the piercing look Draco Malfoy was giving him nearly gave him the willies. “It’s just a suggestion, really. I know you love your godfather and I’m not trying to take his place, but I figured you’d appreciate the chance to cover all your bases, like the Muggles say.”

“I don’t know what that means, exactly, but I think I understand,” Draco said. Though his voice was soft and heavy with a mix of emotions Sirius was glad to hear, the boy had spoken, and wasn’t pitching a fit, so that was good news. “But what about your brother? No one knows if he’s dead or not.”

Sirius shrugged, and was hard-pressed to suppress a grin. The kid had as good as said yes! “True, no one knows where Regulus is, or if he’s even alive. But I’m older than he is, so it doesn’t matter.”

Draco nodded, and took to fiddling with his fingers. This was good. This was very good. Besides the fact that what Sirius said was true, and that he presented a very good case, the Ancient and Most Noble House of Black was just that: Ancient and Most Noble. Draco knew the Malfoy’s were filthy rich, even by pureblood standards, but the Blacks…….if he wasn’t mistaken, the Black’s owned more land than the Queen of England, in and outside Great Britain, and had so much money they could finance the entire wizarding world for five years before feeling the pinch. That was money.

It was also bad.

Somehow his bottom lip found its way into his mouth, and Draco began to chew. If there was one thing his father had taught him, was that money equaled prestige, prestige equaled decorum and dignity. Draco hated decorum and dignity. He’d had fifteen years of it being beaten into him, and had decided that when he dropped his father, he would drop all his stinking rules and strictures with him. Being the heir to the Malfoy fortune had been a major point of contention with his very existence, one he was determined to remove, once and for all. Not matter what the cost.

Silver eyes met blue. “Will I be your heir?” All traces of uncertainty gone, Draco’s voice was hard and clear, a change that took Sirius by surprise.

Damn.

“Harry is my heir, through means of an ancient magical ritual called Claiming.” He nodded as the boy’s eyes grew wide. “I knew you’d know what that was. I can’t take that title and its accompanied privileges from him, but you know I won’t – “

“No, no! That’s fine, really,” Draco rushed, practically deflating with relief. He didn’t have to be an heir anymore. To say he was happy about it would have been like saying Hagrid was tall. This was absolutely brilliant.

Sirius watched the boy slid down into the sofa in amusement, silently congratulating himself on a job well done. There was still the official bit left to do, but really, this was good enough for him.

No point putting it off though. “Can I take that as a ‘yes’, then?”

Draco sat up so fast Sirius thought someone had flipped a switch. “Yes!” The boy blushed, rearranging himself so his bum wasn’t half off the seat. “I mean, yes, sir.”

Sirius grinned, and stood, coming to stand in front of the fireplace. “Come here, then.”

A tad nervously, Draco stood and came before his soon o be guardian, looking anywhere but the man’s face. But that was silly. This wasn’t his father. Screwing up all his hope and courage, Draco raised his eyes, slowly, slowly, half expecting to be hit for his presumption.

Finally, he found the same blue wyes from a few minutes earlier, and nothing happened. Well, nothing except a warm something trickled down his back. ‘Maybe this really would be good.’

What Sirius saw in those silvery grey eyes made him mad all over again at the way is parents had chosen to live. ‘Damn pureblood garbage.’ No child should look that fearfully hopeful, if that was even how he could describe it. And then something had lit up the boy’s eyes when they met, the flames from the fire flickering across the child’s face, and quite suddenly, Sirius understood what Severus might have been feeling when he found Harry.

Because he really had found Draco. And he’d help the boy find himself.

“Give me your hands.” Once he held the smaller digits in his own, he let the magic flow. Though the magic was simple, the power behind it could consume someone with the wrong intentions. Draco knew this, and had to fight the lump that rose in his throat and the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes as the warm, pulsating force washed over him. Sirius was serious. Honestly and truly serious. One tear fell. Then another. How was it that in all his years of living with his father, he’d never felt wanted, and within ten minutes of being with his mother’s estranged cousin, he suddenly felt home?

“I Sirius Orion Black, Head and last remaining member of the Most Ancient and Most Noble House of Black, do hereby on this day, now and forever claim one Draco Narciso Malfoy as my ward and blood relative, to be henceforth recognized by blood and magic as a member of the Ancient and Noble House of Black, entitled to all rights and privileges the name affords. Do you, Draco Narciso, accept?”

He took a shaky breath, face wet and far beyond caring. The ritual didn’t call for declarations of care and affection; this wasn’t an adoption, but at the same time, it felt like it was. He wasn’t stupid; he knew Severus loved him. But the man was in an odd position, as a former Death Eater (though Draco had always had his suspicions) and as his father’s friend. Sirius was free of all that. Fr the first time in forever, he had someone that wasn’t connected to someone else, wasn’t using him for their own gains and actually wanted him around. Sirius wanted him. Sirius was his.

“I Draco Narciso Malfoy, do hereby completely accept you claim of blood and guardianship, and claim my maternal title as my own, to be known henceforth and forever as Draco Narciso Black….”

Twenty minutes later, Sirius Flooed an emotionally exhausted Draco to his and Remus' rooms, amazed at how heavy a fifteen-year-old could be. When the boy awoke, they had an expedition to embark upon. Apparently, pureblood scion that he was, Draco had never even heard of peanut butter. Sirius, suitably enraged had vowed to fix it immediately.

Draco had promptly fallen asleep, and Sirius had caught him.

After setting the boy onto the transfigured sofa, Sirius reclined in his armchair and smiled.

And when Severus, in a full on rage, and a certain redhead Flooed in an hour later, his chambers were empty.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I got another one up!!!! Aren’t you all proud of me? Got sent home from work for being literally minutes late for the past few days so I decided to come and finish up this chapter, before my procrastinator gene kicks in. Hope you all like it. I LIVE FOR REVIEWS!!!! Tell me what you think!!! Please leave a review! They'll make me feel better.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1669