Know Thyself by wellyuthink
Summary: As the clock strikes midnight on Harry Potter's fourteenth birthday, the reflection of a strange boy appears in Harry's window. What unusual news does he bring? And why does this stranger appear to be none other than Harry himself?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: None
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Runaway, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Evolution
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 73704 Read: 198810 Published: 26 Sep 2008 Updated: 10 Jan 2009
Peace and Strife by wellyuthink
Author's Notes:
"text" - is normal speech
'text' - is Shadow talking
"text" - is Parseltongue or spell-casting.

Harry waited until the door had closed before he reached for the stone object. Who’d have thought it? Professor Snape does have a heart after all! And I actually think he’s starting to like me! Now, if only I could figure out what his present is…

Harry stared done at the device in his hands to try and distract himself from the delightful fizzing in his stomach. He had never had an adult stand up for him like Snape had just done against Sirius. And wasn’t Sirius meant to be on his side, anyway? It was all a little confusing and Harry was sad to have Sirius, Remus and Dumbledore leave before he could say goodbye to them, but the fact that Snape cared largely outweighed it. Besides, he could always write to them.

Harry was brought back to himself when he heard something shift inside the soapstone object.

“Shadow, what the hell do you think’s in this thing?”

The other boy was about to answer when a small, green head stuck itself out of the igloo and said, “Me.

Harry almost dropped the igloo. Shadow, however, had a much more productive reaction. ‘Ah, wicked! It’s a snake!’

The snake turned its head and stared at the reflective surface. “Naturally, boy-in-the-mirror.

 “Wait a minute, you can see him?” Harry asked, his mouth agape.

The little creature slithered out onto the blanket and stared up at Harry, flickering its purple tongue at the boy. Harry could now see that its scales were an unusually bright green. Snape got me a snake? And not only that, a special snake?

You speak?

Oh! Well, yeah. Snape – the man who brought you here – knows that I can talk to snakes, so he probably thought it would be a good idea to… get you for me.

The snake dipped his head and looked back towards the mirror. “It is gratifying to finally be understood instead of only being able to understand.” It shot a sharp look at Harry. “The Ophidians have the gift of being able to understand whichever language is being used around them. I have grown weary of listening while no one is willing to lisssten.

Shadow smiled and reached out a hand towards the Ophidian. Harry grinned and scooped the creature up, bringing it closer to the mirror and held it out for Shadow to see. His counterpart rested his hand flat against the glass as the snake flickered its tongue across the mirror. The Ophidian twisted its head to look at Harry.

And who is this strange, flat creature? I have never seen the like.

That’s Shadow. Umm, neither of us really know what he is, except that he’s like a part of me that’s… gotten free.

I see. And you… Shadow… this boy, he is good to you?

Shadow bobbed his head up and down and grinned. ‘Oh yeah, he’s really great. He’s just like a big brother to me.’ Shadow’s face fell. ‘I just wish I didn’t have stay stuck on the wrong side of the glass.

Harry leant closer to his twin, hoping to give comfort just by his presence. The snake looked interested. “We do not always get that which we wish for in this life. But… he is good to you?” Shadow nodded. “Then I shall ssstay.

Harry and Shadow grinned. “That’s great! I’m Harry, by the way. What your name?

I have none.” The snake ducked his head a little. “I am somewhat of an outcassst even among my own people, and humans seem to want to avoid me… Until your Snape today, that is.” The snake’s tongue flicked out again.

Harry thought of the way he and the other students had treated Snape at school, and then he thought of his old life of the Dursleys’. A wry smile touched his lips. “I guess you could say we are outcasts ourselves.” He held his snake up to eyelevel. “Now, what should we call you?

Salem.

Harry blinked and turned towards Shadow. “Why?”

‘'Salem' means peace; just like ‘Hedwig’ means strife. I just thought maybe we should turn over a new leaf this coming school year.  Besides, we’ve had plenty of strife; now maybe we’ll be able to have some peace.’

Harry grinned. “Yeah, especially if Snape has something to do with it.” He looked down at the little, green creature that had curled up in his hands. “Salem it is, then.

A sleepy hiss rose up from his hands, “Soundsss good to me.

Harry gently tipped Salem back into his igloo and set it on the bedside table once more. “How’d you suppose he could see you?”

Shadow shrugged. ‘Animal intuition, probably. They see loads of things that humans refuse to see. Like Wormtail,’ Shadow shuddered, ‘ever since he betrayed our Mum and James, Mum’s owl wouldn’t go near him; attacked him every time he got too close. If only they had worked out the warning signals…’

Harry frowned. “Yeah, like we should have listened to Crookshanks. Mum had an owl?”

‘Yeah.’ Shadow smiled wanly. ‘Big barn owl called Ludwig. She had a Beethoven obsession,’ he explained at Harry’s look of confusion.

“Hey! Hedwig – Ludwig – I guess I know where I got the idea for my owl’s name from.”

Shadow’s eyes widened and he stared over Harry’s shoulder. ‘Speak of the devil.’

Harry whirled around. “Hedwig!” He hurried over to the window and flung it open, grinning at his snowy owl sitting in the tree just outside. “Hey, Girl, it’s great to see you.” He pointed to the envelope hanging from one of her legs. “Is that for me, then?”

Hedwig hooted tiredly and hopped closer along the branch, but did not take off. Harry frowned. “Tired, Girl? Here; I think I can reach you.” Harry leaned out of the window, but came up short. “Hang on.” He stuck a leg out of the window, then another before carefully dropping down onto the porch roof below, ignoring Shadow’s shout of ‘Careful, Harry!’

“Here, Girl, down you come!” Hedwig hooted gratefully and hopped onto his arm and he spent several minutes tenderly stroking her feathers. He had missed her terribly. “OK, if you go rooting through my trunk a little, you’ll find your owl treats next to the inkpots. I’ll be in to get you some water in a minute.” Harry stretched up on his tiptoes and set her on the windowsill. She hopped out of sight immediately and Harry was immediately faced with a dilemma that he hadn’t thought of.

Standing on his tiptoes, he could easily wrap his hands around the windowsill of his room, but his nutrition-starved weeks at the Dursleys, coupled with his recent recovery from his injuries, had left him much weaker than he thought. He did not have the strength to pull himself back up.

Harry gulped, staring at the sill above him and feeling panic starting to kindle in his belly. He glanced at the ground, and then at the tree. Both were out of reach. He was stranded.

Oh God, what am I going to do? I’m stuck! And Snape said he was coming back later on! Oh, oh, he’ll punish me for sure for this one. What am I going to do? What am I going to do? I’m stuck and I don’t want to be hit again!

Desperately, Harry scrabbled at the brickwork, careless that the rough stone was scraping his hands and knees raw. I have to get back in!

HPSSHPSSHPSS

Severus stared at library door. Damn mutt!

It appeared that Black had glued his door shut.

I knew I should have evicted that creature the second I saw he’d set foot in my house! This is the folly that comes of sentimentality. Six spells and a lot of frustration later, the door finally opened and Severus wandered away to nurse his headache. Thank goodness the day’s almost over. I’ve had enough.

A low whistle sounded in his head, making him swear and press his hands over his ears. The wards! But wait… that’s the wrong frequency. What else did I put an alarm on? Potter’s room! No, I took that one off… Severus looked up in the direction of the sitting room door, his scowl growing with every second that the alarm went on. But not the one on his windows! What the hell is that little monster up to now?

Severus took the stairs three at a time, his temper becoming greater the higher he went, and by the time he had reached Potter’s room, he was positively fuming. The door slammed open without him even having to touch it, and he felt the draining effects of his wandless magic immediately, but he ignored it in favour of striding over to the wide open window.

Feeling a strange sense of déjà vu, Severus leaned over the sill and looked around for the boy.

Potter was sitting directly below, his arms wrapped tightly around his knees, it was immediately apparent that something was wrong. He leaned further out the window to get a better look. Potter was rocking back and forth again and again, softly whispering something that sounded like “I’msorryI’msorry,” over and over. Severus’ ire cooled and confusion took its place.

Frowning, Severus carefully climbed over the sill and dropped down beside the boy. Potter went completely still as Severus sat down beside him, mindful of the sloping roof.

“Potter, would you care to tell me what in Merlin’s name you are doing down here?” Severus asked coldly. The boy squeaked and tried to scramble away, only to be stopped by Severus’ pincer like grip on his arm. “What were you doing, boy!”

“No! No! No! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry! I just tried to reach Hedwig and couldn’t and I’m sorry. I won’t do it again, I’ll be good, I promise! I’msorry!” Potter’s voice had taken on a high, hysterical quality. In fact, Severus had a hard time understanding what he was saying because the words were said so quickly. However, he had no difficulty understanding the next words at all.

“Please don’t hit me!”

Severus’ breath caught in his throat and his arms shook slightly. And then the words came again, only this time, Potter’s bright green eyes were staring right at him.

“Please don’t hit me again!”

Tears trembled in the corners of Potter’s eyes. White teeth bit his already much bitten lip. And Severus had a very hard time keeping his own emotions regarding the situation locked away. It would not help the boy now.

You reap that which you sow, Severus Snape. “Potter,” he murmured, keeping his voice as low and calm as he could. Potter’s head came up a little and his body uncurled slightly. “I’m not going to hurt you. Not now, not ever. That… that time was a grievous mistake on my part and… and I’m sorry.” Severus let his arm drop and he stared into his lap, unable to bear the damage he’d caused this child.

A warm body settled against his own and he looked up in surprise as Harry leant on him. “S’OK, Professor. I’m sorry too.” The thin arms slid around Severus’ waist and stayed there. “Thank you for my snake. I called him Salem.” Harry turned his face into the Professor’s chest and sniffled a little.

Stunned by the boy’s easy forgiveness and even more shocked by the little arms curled around him, Severus looked down and ran his hand through the addictively soft hair. How can this child even stand to be near me after what I’ve done to him? I suppose the least I could do is show the same consideration to him. Severus tentatively wrapped his arm around the small form and almost started as the child sighed in contentment. “Salem? I daresay we could all do with a little peace.”

“Yeah.” Green eyes turned up and studied his face. “I’m sorry I’m so much trouble. I know I’m a burden, I try not to be, but…” Harry’s eyes widened as Severus pressed a finger against his lips.

“You are not a burden, especially not to me. Remember that, Harry.” Severus blinked. “Err, Potter. If I did not want you here, you would not be here; just like Black and his sickeningly amiable sidekick.” To Severus’ surprise, Harry actually smiled at that.

“Yeah, I guess they can be a bit much sometimes.”

“Potter, have you even listened to a word I’ve said?” Harry nodded quickly. “Repeat it to me then.”

“Umm, I…” Harry faltered and then went on. “If… you didn’t want me here, I wouldn’t be here.” Severus nodded and waited for him to go on. “You… well, you… I’m not a burden. And… and,” Harry looked up from under his lashes, “you called me Harry.”

Damn! I knew I wouldn’t get away with that slip! “Indeed, now repeat the first two for me again. Repeat them until you believe them.”

Harry turned and gave him a very confused look.

“Potter! Do as you’re told!”

“You, well, you want me here, and… I’m not a burden.”

“Good, again.”

“But wh–”

“Potter, again.”

“You want me here and I’m not a burden.”

“Good, again.”

“You… you want m-me h-here and- and I’m not a b-b-burden.” Harry turned his face into Severus’ chest and stifled a wracking sob. Severus tightened his hold on the boy and mouthed, “Finally!” to the heavens.

“I-I’m really not?”

“No, Potter, you’re really not. Now, up you get and back into your room with you.” Severus pulled Harry to his feet and rolled his eyes at the blood staining his hands. “Haven’t you ever heard of self-preservation, Potter?” he asked as he healed the grazed skin with a flick of his wand.

“Um, well, I wasn’t thinking of that at the time…”

“Yes, and no doubt it was partially my fault as well… mostly my fault.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, sir.”

“You, Mr Potter, are a child. You do not get to decide with whom the blame resides.”

“That’s not– Hey!” Severus had grabbed him around the waist and had lifted him up to the window’s level.

“Grab the sill... that’s it, there.” Severus pushed the boy through and then hauled himself up and over. I suppose this is the moment that I bless all those years of lifting heavy cauldrons. This would have been rather embarrassing otherwise. The things that I do for this Potter!

“Now, Mr Potter, now we have that cleared up, why were you outside in the first place?” Severus put on his sternest face, hoping that it wouldn’t upset Harry too much, but determined that the boy would understand that what he had done was wrong.

“Well, um, Hedwig came back and she was really tired, so I went to fetch her, only I couldn’t reach so I had to climb out and then I couldn’t climb back… in,” Harry said; very quickly and without pause for breath. Severus resisted the urge to walk out of the room in frustration.

“Potter.”

“Yes, sir?”

“Have I or have I not already covered the fact that you are not to put your life in danger?”

“Ah.”

“Ah, indeed. Now, understand me that the only reason I am not punishing you this time is because you are still unwell and have already collapsed once today. I am not about to exacerbate that by pushing you further than you might be ready for. Is that understood?”

Harry’s eyes were wide. “Yessir.”

“Good, now sleep. If you have not awakened by seven o’clock, I will come and fetch you for supper.” Severus flicked his wand and Harry’s clothes morphed into pyjamas. The boy looked down and groaned. “None of that. Bed, now!”

“All I seem to do is sleep these days!” Harry grumbled as he wriggled under the covers.

“On the contrary, from my point of view, all you seem to do is cause trouble.”

Harry’s eyes immediately became worried. “Sir…”

“Now, none of that. What did I say earlier?”

“That you want me here and I’m not a burden.”

“Exactly. Now, sleep.”

Harry closed his eyes, only to have them pop open a second later. “Oh, sir? Could you possibly get some water for my owl?”

Severus sighed. “Yes, Potter.”

He moved to the open trunk, upon which a very sleepy, snowy owl rested. Severus felt very relieved that she was all right and that she hadn’t fallen afoul of the Dursleys’ cruelty. He reached out and stroked her downy feathers a couple of times. She really was a beauty.

He quickly rifled through the trunk, paying no heed to its contents and pulled out the shrunken owl cage. He set it on the chest of drawers to the left of the window and re-sized it, careful to refill the water bowl as he went.

“Come along then,” he said and held his arm out to the snowy – Hedwig – he remembered. She clicked her beak, but hopped up when prompted further. Severus transferred her to the cage, where she took a couple of sips of water and then put her head under her wing. Gently, so as not to disturb her, Severus pulled the manila envelope off her leg.

Severus turned around to find Harry watching him. “There, your owl is dealt with.” He walked around the bed, with Harry’s eyes following him the whole way and placed the letter on the bedside table. “Go to sleep, for Merlin’s sake!”

“M’kay.” The boy’s eyes drifted closed and Severus gave into the impulse to run his hand through Harry’s hair. Harry sighed and his breathing evened out. Severus pulled his hand away, but not before he noticed a small, brown tuft of hair behind the child’s left ear. Severus wondered what it meant.

The End.
End Notes:
Italics it is then!

Oh yeah - and much thanks to little-sun for the window idea! Thanks Mila!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1672