Severus Snape and the Muggle by wrappedinharry
Summary: When Harry and his new, pretty neighbor are rescued from Privet Drive on the eve of a Death Eater attack, Severus becomes Harry's reluctant guardian and healer in the weeks following. Old prejudices are challenged as Harry's new friend casts her own spell over Hogwarts' Potions Master.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 207459 Read: 105340 Published: 10 Oct 2008 Updated: 06 Dec 2008
Chapter 9: The Odious Task. by wrappedinharry
Author's Notes:
Dumbledore lays down the law to Severus. The Potions MAster is not a happy camper.

Erin took one last, pleased look around the beautiful, room she had been assigned by Professor McGonagall for the duration of her stay here at Hogwarts. It was delightfully old fashioned, perhaps Regency or Edwardian. In the midst of all her worries, this was a nice little oasis of pleasure.

The bed was a four poster and was larger than a single but smaller than a traditional double, with a delicately embossed thick brushed cotton quilt of palest green and an old fashioned floral eiderdown folded in half at the foot of the bed. The wooden four poster was a rich, highly polished gold and there was a matching bedside table, dressing table and large, carved wardrobe.

There were matching rugs on either side of the bed, that amazingly did not slip or slide on the polished timber floor. Out of curiosity, Erin tried to lift a corner of one of them, expecting to find it adhered to the floor somehow, and was thus surprised when it lifted easily. But when she stood upon it and tried to slide it on the floor, it would not move.

She shook her head in wonder at exactly what could be accomplished with magic. An elderly aunt of her father's had once slipped on a rug and broken her hip, so Erin knew how dangerous loose rugs could be.

Professor McGonagall (or Minerva as she had asked to be called) had shown Erin some of the sights of Hogwarts on their journey from the hospital wing to this room. They had ascended two flights of stairs to what was, she had been told, the sixth floor.

Erin had felt like a kid in a candy store, with her head turning this way and that as they had moved through corridors and up staircases lined with elaborately carved wooden banisters or  beautiful, smooth marble ones. The castle looked like something out of Robin Hood, though perhaps more richly furnished and fitted.  

The walls were made of stone...but not just ordinary stone. They seemed to shine with a golden glow that changed from the deepest hue of ‘old gold' through to delicate ‘rose' gold. The changing colours seemed to be  dependant on which direction the windows faced and how much light was coming though them at any given time.

The windows themselves were all mullioned and many of them were adorned with stained glass panels that added to the magical glow of the golden stone walls.

There were paintings and statues and suits of armour adorning walls and floors and niches and Minerva had told Erin that there was an inventory somewhere in the Head's office amongst all the official paperwork pertaining to Hogwarts and the property contained therein. But Minerva had doubted that the list was accurate. She doubted if it had been updated once in the last hundred years.

Just as Erin and Minerva had gained the sixth floor, Erin had caught a movement out of the corner of her eye and she had turned her head towards a large painting of a rural scene. Her mouth had fallen open in shock.

The two ponies standing just outside of the shade being cast by a massive oak tree were grazing. They were actually grazing! The branches and leaves of the tree were moving in a slight breeze and the horses were flicking their tails from side to side, as if annoyed by flies. Birds were flitting about in the background and as Erin stood in open-mouthed wonder, one of the horses lifted it's head and stared straight at her. It then gave a soft nicker and turned it's gleaming chestnut rump to her and began to amble towards the hills in the background.

Minerva had walked on a good few yards before she had realised that she had lost her companion. When she had looked back and seen Erin standing transfixed in front of a painting, she had sighed deeply. There were so many things about Hogwarts that were extra-ordinary, it would take days to think of all the things that might shock a Muggle. It would be impossible to prepare her for all eventualities.

Minerva had retraced her steps and taken Erin gently by the arm and guided her on the remainder of the journey to this room. Erin now remembered the revelations Minerva had come out with. Paintings were animated and sound emanated from them. Humans spoke, animals made noises and grass and trees rustled in invisible breezes. They had even passed a painting of a storm-tossed loch and Erin had heard the sound of thunder and drumming rain as well as waves pounding on a rocky shore.

Suits of armour and statues might speak to you as you passed. There were secret passageways hidden behind beautiful old tapestries and in a couple of places within the warren of staircases where there were trick stairs. Minerva had told her not to worry too much about these as she would not need to access those stairways as yet and when time permitted, someone would point them out to her. There was apparently, also a dungeon that extended to great depths below the castle and was accessed by a labyrinth of damp and musty corridors. No-one in living memory had ever plumbed the true extent of the dungeons and it's maze of passages.

But the most startling revelation of all had left Erin reeling. Ghosts! There were actually ghosts within the castle, and not just within the castle, apparently. There were ghosts everywhere. Muggles just could not see them. There were a very few within the Muggle world who could sense ghosts but most other Muggles laughed at them for their foolishness. Erin had been uncomfortably aware that she had been one of the Muggles who pooh-poohed anyone who professed to be able to communicate with the dead.

Oh, she supposed most of them were con-artists, but seemingly, there were those out there who were the genuine article. Erin was very pleased that she had not encountered any ghosts during her journey, though Minerva had assured her that all of the Hogwarts' ghosts were perfectly harmless, and in the case of ‘Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington', a true gentleman.

Erin had been told that the only being from beyond the veil that she had to beware of was a Poltergeist who went by the name of ‘Peeves'. Erin had shuddered. But apparently Peeves was specifically into creating mischief and mayhem, not causing harm.

After being shown into her room, Erin had exclaimed in delight. She had looked around and seen only two paintings adorning the walls-a beautiful thatched cottage set within a true English country garden with a profusion of different flowers and shrubs, and two Regency ladies clad in long white nightdresses who were obviously preparing for bed, because one was brushing the long blonde locks of the other. Both smiled shyly at Erin and she had self consciously smiled back. Studying the expanse of stone walls around her, and feeling rather foolish, Erin had asked if she had to worry about ghosts floating through the walls at any time of the night or day. Minerva had reassured her that was not a problem as all the sleeping quarters within the school were charmed to keep the ghosts, and most especially Peeves out.

Peeves had been known to be able to enter the children's dormitories on the very odd occasion, but he had never breached the charms around staff quarters. The charms were reinforced on a regular basis. Erin was extremely thankful to hear this bit of news. Harmless or not, she was in no hurry to meet any ghosts. Erin had never really given much thought as to whether there were such things as ghosts, but then again, she had never thought that witches and wizards really existed either.

 Erin's quarters included a small alcove complete with a rose velvet covered window seat and matching heavy drapes and floral covered cushions, a pretty floral linen covered chair and a daybed draped with a white rug and pillow-sized, tasselled cushion at one end.

Next to the alcove was a sumptuously appointed bathroom with old fashioned gold fittings and a huge, claw-footed tub. Erin was amazed to see that although there were taps over the bath, there was no plug hole. Surely the baths within Hogwarts were not emptied by bucket carrying servants.

And then she had laughed at herself. Of course there wouldn't be bucket carrying servants. All it would take was a servant-or perhaps the occupant of the room, if he or she was magical-to flick their wand to empty the tub.

Erin had spent five pleasant minutes sniffing the contents of the row of beautiful, different-sized and shaped bottles occupying a shelf above the tub. They were mainly filled with a variety of scented bath oils, but there were a couple that smelled of menthol and camphor and other robust ingredients that would no doubt help to ease tired and cramped muscles.

Minerva had told Erin to rest for an hour as she had had such an exciting and sleep deprived night, and that she would be back to escort her down to lunch. She had warned Erin not to wander around by herself as yet because she would probably get lost.

Erin had not needed telling twice. Her mind was still reeling at the scale of the castle with its many levels and its innumerable staircases and countless corridors. She could imagine herself wandering around until she collapsed and died from lack of food and water and she joined the contingent of ghosts that inhabited the castle-the only Muggle ghost within it's walls.

Erin had lain down on the wonderfully comfortable daybed, but she had not dozed. Her thoughts had strayed back to the hospital wing where she had left a devastated Harry. Geppetto had told him the full extent of the destruction to Privet Drive. He had not had to mention the specific number of deaths; Harry had made that connection himself.

He had been so upset, Prince Severus had insisted that he take some more calming draught. Harry had refused, so once again, the doctor-or healer as he was called in this world-had spelled it directly into his stomach and within minutes, Harry had slumped down in the bed and gone to sleep.

Erin had felt for the ancient Geppetto who had sighed as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. He had leaned forward and plucked the repaired glasses from Harry's nose before cupping his cheek in his long fingered hand and maintaining the contact for many seconds, his sad eyes focused on the young face which was still set in lines of worry, even while he slept.

Erin remembered dashing tears from her own cheeks, a combination of distress for Harry and distress for her own predicament, which had really only just hit home. Her shock and disbelief over finding herself in this other world-this very strange and hitherto unknown universe-had, until now,  taken over her conscious mind to the exclusion of everything else.

When Geppetto had requested that Minerva take Erin to one of the guest rooms and settle her in, Erin had stated that she wanted to stay with Harry. Prince Severus had told her in that black velvet, rather arrogant voice that there was absolutely no point in her playing the martyr as ‘the boy' would sleep for hours.

Erin had glared at the intimidating looking wizard with dislike. He knew Harry's name. Why did he have to call him ‘the boy' as if saying his name would sully his lips. Oh, she had heard him call Harry ‘Potter' but that had been said with just as much disdain as ‘the boy'. And how dare he intimate that she would martyr herself for just doing the decent thing.

But Geppetto had backed the younger wizard, though in much more diplomatic terms, and Erin had reluctantly left the ward. And mixed in with the worry of Harry, she had begun to wonder just what was going to happen to her and how long it would be before she could contact her parents.

Erin had told Geppetto when they had been speaking earlier that she wanted to contact her parents and let them know that she was safe and well. The old man had assured her that the news had not reached the Muggle newspapers or been broadcast as of yet, because Ministry officials had been able to keep all but the Muggle authorities away and they had been enchanted to keep the news to themselves for the time being. He assured Erin that she would be able to reach her family before the news leaked out.

Erin was brushing her long hair with a beautiful silver backed brush she had found on the dressing table when the knock came. Pleased that her short stint of solitary confinement was over-even though the room was a delightful place to be confined-she pulled the heavy wooden door open.

The smile that she had conjured for Minerva faded away slowly to be replaced by a look of careful neutrality. This blank façade did not hold a candle to the smoothly immobile features of Severus Snape however.

"Oh," said Erin in a voice that matched her expression. "It's you."

Severus raised an eyebrow that clearly said, ‘thank you for stating the obvious.'

But the words that he uttered in that magical voice that managed to send a shiver down her spine even though they was heavily loaded with disdain, were, "As you so succinctly point out, Miss Hanson, it is I."

Erin glared. He was the most insufferable... Cutting off her less than complimentary thoughts, she exited the room and closed the door. She moved carefully so as not to touch the Black Prince. But she needn't have exercised quite as much care, because Severus had stepped back, giving her plenty of room to move without fear of contact. When she would have marched off down the corridor in the direction that she was sure the stairs were in, and with her chin in the air, she was brought up short after only three steps by the voice.

"I know you do not have any possessions that you need worry about at this point in time, Miss Hanson, but it would be pertinent to begin as you mean to go on. At least as long as you are a guest here at Hogwarts."

Erin's shoulders tensed and she halted her forward momentum. She stood still for several seconds trying to gather an air of unconcern about her. After taking a deep, cleansing breath, she turned and sent a questioning look towards her tormentor. She didn't voice a query but her raised eyebrows and slightly tilted head asked the question for her.

What are you talking about?

Severus indicated the stout door she had just closed. "I'm sure Minerva charmed the door to recognise your particular signature. I suggest that you lock your quarters against intrusion by others. I realise there are few people in the castle at the moment as it is the summer holiday, but as I said, ‘begin as you mean to go on'."

Erin felt the colour suffuse her face. Damn! Minerva had told her what she had to do whenever she entered or left the room. Gathering the shreds of her dignity about her but knowing that he could clearly see her embarrassment, she walked back to the door as calmly as she could and placed the palm of her left hand against the panels. She felt a slight tingle against her skin and the door shimmered, as though seen through a heat haze before it fell back into it's sturdy no-nonsense incarnation of an oaken door.

She turned to Severus and inclined her head slightly, doing her best to ignore the slight smirk that had taken up residence on his unattractive face. She was dignity personified when she said, "Thank you for reminding me, Professor Snape."

Severus inclined his head and indicated that she proceed him. She did so, keeping half a step ahead so that she would not have to look at him and the smirk that adorned his smug features.

Erin was pleased to see that she remembered the way to the stairs. But she had to stop there to get directions as she had no idea where they were going to be eating. Severus indicated that she descend the stairs. "Meals are usually served in the Great Hall which is on the ground floor but as we are so few today, we will be eating in a small ante-chamber attached to the Great Hall."

Thinking it would be rude to lapse into silence again, Erin asked, "How many will be dining?"

"Four. Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall, myself and you."

Erin spared him a quick glance and then concentrated on where she was putting her feet. Her stomach had given a little lurch when she realised just how intimate a party they were for lunch. "Where are Remus and Tonks?" she asked in as disinterested a voice as she could muster.

Severus's tone equalled hers for disinterest but it surpassed her for hauteur. "Nymphadora was on duty this afternoon at the Auror department and Lupin is off doing whatever Lupin does.

"He asked me to convey his regrets that he could not say goodbye personally, but he hopes that you will meet again soon." This whole speech was delivered by rote and with as much warmth as an arctic wind.

"I hope so too," she said defiantly. "I found Remus to be the very definition of affability and solicitousness."

Prince Severus smirked and Erin flushed scarlet. She knew that she had sounded like sanctimonious snob.

"Indubitably," was the snide reply. "The man is an absolute wonder. Why, he is even known to be kind to children and..." here, he gave a significant pause, the reason for which went right over Erin's head, "...wild animals."

Erin seethed. My God, who was Snape to speak so scathingly of a man who was worth ten of him. Severus Snape wouldn't know the meaning of affability or solicitousness. For some reason, this thought made Erin feel even more miserable than she had been since seeing whom her escort to luncheon was.

With an effort, she kept her lips set in a tight line that would have competed with Petunia Dursleys most disapproving moue. And then her misery was compounded again because she was thinking ill of a woman who had just lost her life along with her son.

Really, she felt like succumbing to tears. Her house was gone, she had been spirited to a world totally beyond her ken, her cat was missing, her young friend was suffering terribly, and neighbours that she had passed the time of day with had been murdered.

And her mum and dad were thousands of miles away where they couldn't offer her any comfort. Like a child, Erin wanted her mum to hold her and her dad to make everything right.

She turned her head slightly and bit her lip to stop a sob from escaping. It was stuck in her throat and was threatening to choke her. It needed release, but she would not give in. How the Black Prince would love it if she just sat down on this bottom stair and bawled her eyes out.

And then the Prince was leading her into a side corridor where he opened another sturdy castle door and gestured her through. Dumbledore, still looking exhausted, pushed himself to his feet from where he was sitting at the head of the table that seated eight.

Minerva was hurriedly entering the dining room through another door and after greeting Erin with a smile that he tried to infuse with his usual bonhomie, Dumbledore turned to Minerva, with whom he did not have to try quite so hard.

The witch gave her boss a penetrating stare before taking the seat that Dumbledore had pulled out for her. Erin would have quite happily pulled out her own chair but a black clad arm reached past her and performed the task.

Taking a deep breath, Erin threw a perfunctory smile over her shoulder in Severus's general direction and took her seat next to Minerva. Minerva patted her on the tightly fisted hand that she had placed on the pristine white tablecloth.

"I am sorry that I could not return to escort you to lunch, Erin? Something came up that required my immediate attention, I'm afraid." She threw a glance at the Prince who had just seated himself opposite Minerva. Erin looked down at her empty place.

Great, every time I raise my eyes, I'll be looking straight at him.  

"I hope you found my replacement a little less than his usual acerbic self," continued Minerva, her tongue planted firmly in her cheek. Dumbledore chuckled, but Severus was looking supremely unconcerned as he flicked his table napkin open and placed it on his knee.

"I told you our guest would arrive alive and well for luncheon, Minerva," he said simply, as if it was the norm that he had to make that declaration at all.

Erin ignored him and reached for her own napkin. But before she could shake it open, a meal materialised out of thin air right in front of her. Her chair was propelled backwards away from the table, scraping noisily on the timber floor and accompanied by a scream that was quickly cut off.

Dumbledore had gained his feet and Minerva had turned sideways in her own chair and placed her hand over Erin's where it was clamped tightly around the carved handle of her chair. Her other hand was fixed firmly over her mouth.

If she had a third hand, it would have been placed firmly over her heart, which at the moment, was trying to escape it's moorings inside her chest.

"Erin, are you all right?" asked Minerva solicitously.

"I am so sorry my dear," said a very contrite Geppetto. "I am afraid the house-elves were a little over-zealous and didn't wait for my signal."

"H...house-elves?" squeaked Erin, trying desperately to calm her charged nervous system. She offered a half smile to show that she was all right.

"House-elves are magical creatures that keep this castle running as smoothly as it does," explained Minerva. "They do all the cooking and they keep the dormitories and other quarters clean."

"Oh," said Erin weakly. Any other time she would have been very interested to hear more about house-elves-were they elves like the beautiful elves in the Lord of the Rings, or were they like fairy-tale elves-but at the moment, she had too many other things whirling around in her brain.

 Minerva removed her hand and Erin self consciously scooted her chair to the table. She could feel the Prince's amused eye on her but she refused to look at him. Her cheeks were burning furiously but she tried to ignore her embarrassment and concentrated on her delicious meal instead.

After five minutes of silence, Erin's worry got the better of her. "Who's looking after Harry?" she enquired, trying not to sound accusatory. "I mean, he is going to wake up from that sedative eventually, and he really shouldn't be by himself."

The Black Prince wasn't looking quite so amused now, Erin noted. He apparently didn't like being virtually accused of dereliction of duty. And sure enough...

"I am not in the habit of leaving my patients unattended, Miss Hanson," he drawled in a would-be-casual voice.

Geppetto poured himself some beautiful scarlet liquid from a pottery ewer. She supposed it was red wine but it looked so much richer in colour, even a little thicker. "You do not have to worry that Harry would be neglected in any way, Erin-nor indeed any of the children that attend this school. We take our responsibilities towards them very seriously indeed."

"I didn't mean to imply..."

"Of course you didn't," comforted Minerva, patting the back of her hand. "It is understandable that you are worried about Harry, but he is being well cared for. Our matron, Madam Pomfrey returned to the school this morning after you left the hospital wing. She is with Harry now."

"I see," said Erin in a very small voice. She took another small bite of her roast chicken, but she really had no appetite. Dumbledore looked at her over the top of his half moon spectacles. He held up the ewer he had just served himself from.

"I can recommend this wonderful oak matured mead, Erin. A small tipple perhaps?" Erin looked at the incarnadine liquid in Geppetto's goblet and thought that it looked absolutely delicious. She nodded her head and then held her breath as the old wizard released the vessel in mid air. She watched mesmerized as, with a wave of his hand Geppetto directed the ewer the slight distance down the table to her place where it upended itself over her cut glass goblet, and poured the ruby liquid without spilling a drop. Then the ewer was snatched out of mid-air by Prince Severus and he poured himself a glass.

The syrupy liquid was the most delicious thing Erin had ever tasted in her life. The honey undertones made her taste buds sit up and purr. And after a third sip, Erin realised why Geppetto had offered her the drink. She felt herself relaxing back into her chair and viewing the room and it's occupants through half closed lids.

She felt relaxed, but she had not forgotten what she needed to make clear to Geppetto-the man so obviously in charge and to whom everyone deferred  without question. She studied the old man as he spoke quietly to Minerva about something to do with next years curriculum. Her lazy glance moved across the table and she did a double take when she found the Prince sitting back in his chair much as she was, studying her minutely.

Much the same as in the hospital wing earlier, the wizard was unabashed to have been caught staring. Erin's chin rose a notch but instead of looking away, Severus just raised his eyebrows and lifted his goblet in salute. It was Erin who looked away.

She put her glass down and partly turned in her chair so that she was facing Geppetto. It seemed that he had been waiting for this moment because he patted Minerva on the forearm to indicate that their conversation was concluded and then he turned all his attention to Erin.

"It would be a total waste of my very precious breath to ask you to delay your excursion back into the Muggle World at this moment, would it not  my dear?"

When Erin had gotten over her shock and snapped her mouth shut, Minerva leaned towards her and  patted the back of her hand again. "He does that all the time," she said, confidentially

"I'm sorry Geppett...errr, Professor Dumbledore..." Erin went as ruby red as the dregs of the oak matured mead in her goblet. Minerva looked at her with raised eyebrows but Dumbledore just looked amused. The Prince was leaning back in his chair, elbows on the carved arms and his goblet of mead held loosely in front of his face by the tips of his long fingers. Erin could see his black eyes over the top of the goblet, but the goblet hid his mouth and the smirk that she knew would be adorning it.

Erin hurried into speech again, desperate to get past the awkward moment. What was the matter with her? How could she have called the ‘Greatest Wizard of the Age', Geppetto to his face?  "I'm sorry, but I'm desperate to contact my mother and father. If they find out from a news broadcast, they'll think I'm dead."

"I perfectly understand your concerns, my dear. The distress to your parents  would be immense. And of course I would not stop you from contacting them. I can only council you about going out into the Muggle world at the moment as it is not known whether Lord Voldemort has worked out yet that the woman spirited away by Remus Lupin lived next door to Harry and therefore escaped the destruction of her home alive. Several Death Eaters saw you after all."

Erin looked confused. "I don't understand," she said. "What would it matter if I was seen. They can't know who I am. And why would they care anyway?"

"Voldemort would care, because Harry Potter escaped his clutches once again and you were seen in his room before Remus Apparated you both out of there. Anyone who has a connection with Harry is of immense interest to Voldemort. And this man, for all his evilness is a very clever, very determined wizard who will be, as we speak, determining who the young woman at the scene of the crime, is.

"The Death Eaters will know exactly how many Muggles were killed, so that they can inform their master. He likes to keep a tally, you see-much like notches on the belt of an American Old West gunslinger. Just one of the little things that shows exactly how crude Tom Riddle is.

"He probably already knows that there was no-one at home at number six when the attack took place. Crude he may be, but he is far from slow. He will quickly put two and two together."

Erin sat frozen in her chair, her eyes fixed on Dumbledore. Could it be true? Could this Voldemort know that the inhabitant of number six, Privet Drive was the woman seen in Harry's bedroom before Remus had fought his way out, taking her with him. Would that automatically make her a target now?

Erin placed her elbows on the table and buried her face in her hands. "I don't believe this," she groaned. "I befriend a young boy who is being given a hard time at home..." She chocked out a laugh. "Quite the understatement, that...

"Then I see what I think is an intruder entering my young friend's house, and knowing that his rotten family had gone out earlier, I am worried enough to go and make sure he is all right. I arm myself with a hockey stick and sneak up the stairs of number four to find a scene reminiscent of a slaughterhouse, and a man kneeling beside a bloody and battered Harry who was on the floor.

"The next thing I'm aware of is waking up in your hospital wing and finding that all sense of normality has fled the world."

Erin felt a hand on her back, rubbing soothing circles. She assumed it was Minerva. She took a deep breath, trying to get herself under some semblance of control. Leaning her forearms on the table-where her half eaten meal had disappeared as quickly as it had appeared earlier-Erin clasped her hands and looked penetratingly at Dumbledore.

She was aware that the Prince had risen and was pouring coffee from a handsome silver pot that seemed to have appeared while she had been hiding her face in her hands. The coffee service and cups and saucers were on a sideboard that had been empty before.

"Can you tell me why it is that this man...this evil wizard, is so determined to get his hands on a sixteen year old boy, whom, I presume, would be absolutely no match for him in terms of power. You did say that Harry was an unqualified wizard, and that this Voldemort is one of the most powerful wizards in the world."

Severus had placed two cups of coffee down in front of Dumbledore and Minerva. It seemed that he was playing mother because he caught Erin's eye and with a gesture of his hand towards the coffeepot and a raised eyebrow, he asked silently if she would like one. She shook her head impatiently and returned her eyes to Dumbledore's old, tired face.

"Why is Harry so very important?" she asked desperately. "I need to know."

"And you shall my dear," said Dumbledore. "But it is not a story that can have justice done to it by means of a five minute declamation." He twirled one finger around the rim of the steaming cup of coffee that he had still to take a sip from.

Prince had reclaimed his chair, and along with Minerva, was savouring his own drink.

"You have unfinished business, as you have stated. You will not be happy until it is done so I suggest that you be accompanied back to the Muggle world so that you can contact your parents."

"Why have you no phones here?"

"Electronic equipment does not work within Hogwarts, nor indeed, within the village of Hogsmeade which is about three-quarters of a mile from the castle gates. All of the magic in the area causes too much electrical interference."

Erin looked down at her hands where they were clasped on the tabletop. Her voice was tentative when she spoke. "If someone could take me to a train station, and perhaps lend me some money until I get to a bank, I could manage by myself." There was a lump in her throat caused by fear, but she had to make the offer to leave. She did not belong in this world, and even though it was people from this world who had destroyed her home and every possession she owned, these particular people were not responsible for her and they did not have to give her room and board.

Dumbledore was shaking his silver head emphatically. "You must see that that is totally out of the question, Erin. None of this was planned but fate has brought you to our door. We would be derelict if we did not do everything in our power to keep you safe from the evil wizards who were responsible for you coming to us in the first place."

Erin hoped that she did not look as relieved as she felt. It would not do for Severus Snape to sneer at her any more than he already had.

"You have no home, no possessions and most importantly, no papers-or should I say plastic. You will not be able to access your bank account, nor indeed make the phone call to Australia as you have no money.

"You will even need identification to get a room in a hotel." Dumbledore looked at her closely. "Unless...do you have any relatives in the country?"

Erin shook her head. "Both my parents were only children and all my grandparents are dead. I had a great aunt, but she died last year. That coincided with my coming back to England and that was when my parents decided to go over to Australia to stay with my brother for a while, leaving me to...to look after their house."

Minerva patted her arm comfortingly. She seemed to have appointed herself Erin's chief source of comfort. Dumbledore finally took a sip of his coffee. He gagged. "Severus, what on Earth is this?" he asked with feigned patience, putting the cup back in it's saucer with careful precision.

"That Headmaster, is a cup of weak, milky coffee. There is no danger that it will hype you up, and prevent you from having a much needed sleep."

"Thank you, Professor Snape. Your concern for my welfare is touching, but I believe I am old enough to determine my own sleeping habits. And I would appreciate it if in future, you remembered that I have an aversion to milk coffee." He banished the cup and its contents with a wave of his hand, then ignoring his interfering Potions Master who was now scowling at the headmaster, he turned his attention back to Erin.

"We will be able to help you deal with all these problems, my dear, but the first order of the day will be contacting your parents. Of, course, I will have to ask that you do not tell them anything of what has actually happened. The Muggle authorities will put the tragedy that occurred in Privet Drive down to a gas explosion. I request that you stick to that same story."

Erin nodded. She was not totally happy that she would have to lie to her parents and her brother. But it was the only thing that she could do. After all, if Erin had been killed in the attack, the story of a gas explosion would be the one that they would be told, because that was the one the Muggle authorities had been enchanted to believe.

And anyway, how could she tell her parents about what had really happened? She cringed when she thought about how that explanation would go.

Mum, Dad, I'm so sorry but your home was destroyed by an evil dark wizard who was after young Harry Potter. You remember Harry, don't you? The young boy who lived with those horrible Dursleys. It turns out the reason they hated him so much was that he's a wizard too. A good wizard-though still  unqualified-but for some reason or other, this evil wizard wants him really badly.

But when the evil wizard missed his quarry, he lost his temper and ordered the whole of Privet Drive destroyed. Oh, and by the way, don't worry about me. I'm staying at an enchanted castle somewhere in Scotland and I'm being well looked after by good wizards.

Yes, that would go down really well. They would be home on the next flight and have her committed so fast, her feet wouldn't touch the ground.

Erin left the problem of her parents and the upcoming explanation and their reactions to it, when she realized that Dumbledore was speaking again.

"...if you think you are up to it."

Erin shook her head. "Sorry, sir...my mind was miles away."

Dumbledore smiled. "Thousands of miles? Australia, no doubt." Erin smiled weakly.

"I was saying that I am not sure how much longer it will be until the Ministry enacts the enchantment and the story is allowed to be released by the Muggle authorities. I think you and your escort should leave within the hour, if you are up to it."

Erin felt a moment of panic. What was she going to say to her parents? And how was she going to manage out there? All she had in the world were the clothes she was sitting here in. She would be so vulnerable with no identification. She had money, but she couldn't get any of it because her cards were in her purse, which was in her handbag, which had been in the house. How could she even prove who she was?

"Severus, can you be ready within the hour?"

Both Erin's and Severus's heads whipped towards Dumbledore who had risen in preparation for leaving the dining room.

Oh, no, no, no! Not him. Please! Anyone but him!

Headmaster! I must object," said Severus through tight lips. He too stood up so that he and Dumbledore were face to face. "As much as I would enjoy escorting Miss Hanson, it is impossible. I have work to do here-work that was interrupted yesterday, I might add. I also have a patient in the hospital wing..."

"Who will be well looked after by Poppy, Severus. It is her job, after all. You yourself said that Harry just needs rest and recuperation, now. Your duties are done unless Harry has a relapse, and as you are so very good at your job, that does not seem likely."

"But..."

"We can contact you with a Patronus within seconds, and you can Apparate back if Poppy feels your presence is needed. And as for your brewing-that can wait."

Severus stepped closer to his boss, placing his large nose within two inches of Dumbledore's crooked one. "Need I remind you that the full moon is less than three days away?" he bit out.

"I am totally cognisant of the phases of the moon, Professor. But I am also aware that that particular potion takes forty-eight hours to brew."

"I pre-prepare certain ingredients as you well know."

"You will be back later this evening, Severus. Plenty of time to attend to the potion."

Severus gesticulated wildly. "Wouldn't Nymphadora be a better choice. She can assimilate better into the Muggle world and I am sure Miss Hanson..." Severus threw out an arm towards her where she was now standing beside  Minerva, who was looking angrily at her young colleague.

"...I am sure Miss Hanson would prefer the company of another woman. If Nymphadora is busy, perhaps Minerva?"

"You know very well that Nymphadora is busy working this afternoon and Minerva too, has much to do," countered Dumbledore calmly.

"As do I!" Erin noted that the perpetually pale face of Severus Snape now had twin slashes of red across his sculpted cheekbones. If she did not want to avoid the company of Severus Snape just as much as he seemed to want to avoid hers, she would have been insulted.

God, did she have BO or something?

"You are an expert in disguise, Severus, and you know the Muggle world as well as Nymphadora does."

"I try to avoid the Muggle world, Albus!"

"Professor Snape. You have your orders. I would suggest you get cracking." Dumbledore put his arm out to gesture that Minerva precede him towards the side door that the elderly witch had entered through earlier.

Minerva smiled at Erin and swept past Dumbledore. Instead of following immediately, he advanced towards Erin. He took her hand and squeezed it. "You will be safe with Severus, Erin. He may be taciturn, but he will assist you and protect you with his life. I will see you both later."

And then she was alone with an absolutely furious wizard who was looking at her through twin curtains of black hair as if he wanted to carry out the job that those Dark wizards would have been only too happy to complete for their master. Erin swallowed, but she lifted her chin defiantly.

She had nothing to be afraid of. This guy worked for Dumbledore, the Greatest Wizard of the Age. He was a teacher, just like her. And though she knew he would be strict and no-nonsense, he would never resort to violence with unruly children. Somehow, Erin knew this instinctively. He had saved Harry's life and even healed her when she had arrived with the injured Remus...or so she had been told. He really couldn't help it if he was an unpleasant man...some people were just like that.

When Severus spoke, his voice dripped icicles. "As I have no choice in this matter Miss Hanson, I suggest we get a move on." Severus stalked to the door and pulled it open. Erin's lips thinned with annoyance but she passed him without a word.

Within seconds, they were in the magnificent generously proportioned Entrance Hall where a suit of armour stood guard on either side of the heavily fortified double oak doors that were standing open on this fine, sunny day. There were several large niches in the walls into which stone benches had been carved. Severus indicated one.

"Wait for me here. I have to return to my chambers before we leave as I have a potion brewing that I will need to cast a stasis charm over."

Erin eyed the cold stone with something less than enthusiasm. She had other ideas. "I don't suppose I would be able to visit Harry quickly before we leave?" Severus's lips thinned and Erin hurried on.

"Just to let him know that I'll be back later and can visit him properly then."

"I think not. The hospital wing is on the fourth floor and down several corridors. We will not have time. Besides, Potter is probably still asleep."

"And your word is law," said Erin angrily.

"Yes. As Dumbledore put you under my protection, my word is law."

"I am not one of your students, Professor Snape. Please don't treat me like one."

Severus stepped close to her, much as he had with Dumbledore earlier. Erin's chin went up a notch. She would not let him intimidate her. She found herself gazing into his black eyes. She thought they would be flat, devoid of expression. But this close to, she could see twin flames burning in their obsidian depths-like a black opal with a red heart.

"I am not leaving the castle because I wish to take an excursion into Muggle London, Miss Hanson. It is not a task that I relish and if we are going to survive each others company, I suggest you decide right here and now that you will do as I order. I am not one to brook disobedience."

After glaring into her reddened face for several seconds more, Severus spun on his heel, his black robes swirling dramatically and brushing heavily against the embarrassed and infuriated woman's jean clad legs.

Erin watched him disappear down a set of stone stairs. She did not leave the Entrance Hall in search of the hospital wing, but nor did she sit on the hard, cold bench.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well, Severus is not taking too kindly to his baby sitting duties. Sparks are already flying.

Will Erin and Severus survive each others company?

Please let me know what you think of the chapter. I love to hear from you.

Lesley

Please let me know what you think.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1680