O What Tangled Webs by ObsessiveaboutSnape
Summary: Nothing is as it seems. Not everyone who seems evil is, and people who seem full of light, aren't always good. Things are constantly changing; Life's a tangled web.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 16199 Read: 24037 Published: 12 Oct 2008 Updated: 31 Aug 2009
Put Me Back Together by ObsessiveaboutSnape
Author's Notes:
Yay!!!! Second chapter of the night. I hope this explains, however indirectly, Lucius. More information will be given in the next chapter. Please review. Even if you hate it.

Someone was holding his hand.

It took a minute for the rest of the message to make its way through to his brain before he recognized who the hand holding his belonged to.

He knew this hand. These slender fingers had a knack for going where no sensible fingers would ever go, engaging in such abominable activities as tickling. And tickling him. Some people had no decency.

He knew this hand. There was a slight indentation on its heel right …… there. This was the finger she had broken last year doing some fool move on an Auror Quidditch team. Between her and bloody Potter, his mind absently commented, Quidditch would be the end of him.

Idly noticing that his own fingers were leisurely playing with the ones he knew so well, Severus pondered that thought. ‘Potter.’ There was something about the boy, something big, and recent…. ‘Potter’ ……

And then, memory swept in, bringing with it a blinding headache so intense it tore a scream from his lips.

‘Harry screaming in agony and tearing at his bloody scar…. A snake-like being laughing maniacally, aiming his wand on the boy….. A red jet of light hitting the boy directly in the chest, his broken limbs quivering in pain….. Thousands of red-hot knives were stabbing every inch of him, the white hot pain blocking out every other thought…. Harry screaming, right before Voldemort blasted him across the field, right on top of him. And then…

Crucio maxima!

Harry’s high, gurgling screams the only sounds distinguishable to him above the excruciating net of torture he was caught in….

Pain, pain, pain, unbearable pain, and then

Lucius running full tilt across the grass, a bright yellow light erupting from the tip of his fingers to wash over Severus and the boy draped across his chest, something flying out of his hand to land in a wash of bright blue light seen over Harry’s fringe, a sharp tug behind his navel, and then darkness.

~*~

When the world finally swam into focus again, he risked opening his eyes. The infirmary, his mind provided. ‘Of course.’ He grimaced. His head felt stuffed with cotton, and his body ached with minor discomforts.

He must have groaned at one point, for the pit-pat of feet soon heralded the arrival of brilliantly pink hair, and the head and body to which it belonged.

He was tempted to smile, but managed a grimace at the last minute.

“Dora.” His voice was rough and frail sounding, so unlike his own it was disconcerting.

“Shh.” She came closer, soft cool hands caressing his face. “Don’t talk, Sev. Poppy’ll be right in.”

She made her closeness ever closer, and those soft lips of hers pressed against his forehead, and as if through a fog, he recognized the way her breath hitched with silent sobs. “I’m so glad you’re ok,” she whispered. And all Severus wanted in the world was to wrap his arms around her and bid the remainder of the world to hell.

As it was, he could only hold on, and bury his protruding nose in the softness of her bosom, and lose himself to the blissful darkness of sleep.

~~~~

He awoke, seemingly hours later, to find a very tired looking Dumbledore sitting next to his bed.

The tiredness of his old mentor was more pronounced in the flickering candlelight illuminating this part of the hospital wing, and for a fleeting minute, Severus saw Albus Dumbledore as he truly was, not the powerful mage and leader everyone looked up to, but the tired, frail looking old man who had far too many things on his plate to deal with. Sleepily, he gazed at the man, a strange, heavy feeling creeping over his chest that he slowly realized was pity for the old man. As infuriating as he was, Severus realized that it was hard not to be, and that the old man didn’t do it on purpose.

He scowled. He hated being insightful. He yanked his arm away from where the Headmaster was absentmindedly stroking it, and gave the man his best death glare.

Much to his annoyance, the old mage chuckled.

“Severus, my boy, I’m so glad to see you awake. Poppy, was, of course, assured that you would wake eventually, and continued to check up on you most regularly.” At this, Severus’ glare intensified tenfold, but Albus continued. “However, a certain young Auror has been near inconsolable.”

The ever present twinkle in the old man’s eye became near unbearable as he watched his Potions Master huff in obvious fake annoyance, and his features softened into a mild scowl.

“Now Severus, there’s no need to be cross. From Lucius’ account both women had ample reason to be worried. It seems Voldemort took a rather excessive interest in causing you pain, my child.”

Severus’ head spun around at a speed that made him nauseous. “Lucius?” His tongue felt thick and heavy, as if he hadn’t spoken in weeks. “Lucius……here?”

Albus nodded genially. “Oh yes, has been for quite some time. Mr. Potter was quite upset that the portkey only transported you and he, and took it upon himself to rescue him.”

The infernal man was still nodding. Potter rescued Lucius. That couldn’t be right, by any account. The last thing he remembered was a very broken boy slamming into his chest from the force of the spell that had hit him. Whatever healing he and his blonde counterpart had administered before the Dark Lord’s arrival had been thoroughly undone, and then some. The boy he had supposedly landed at Hogwarts with couldn’t have been capable of lifting a finger without collapsing in sheer agony, let alone rescue a full grown wizard from the clutches of evil incarnate.

His confusion had to have shown on his face, for Albus launched into an explanation. “We’ve always known that Harry is a very special boy. That being said, it was still a shock to see him remove himself from his bed, completely unassisted, and then disappear. Without the sheer power flooding the room, I doubt Poppy would have fallen into deeper hysterics. But the fact that he disappeared with a sound like a crack of thunder allowed her to keep some of her wits. She settled for attacking , er, tending to you with a vengeance. Shortly after, Harry reappeared, with another crack of thunder, and an unconscious Lucius hovering in mid air. Of course, Poppy quickly took care of that, and spelled the three of you into a deep sleep. Lucius woke up early the next morning. It seems, his Veela ancestry makes healing a ridiculously speedy affair.”

And now Dumbledore was rambling, on and on about how wonderful it was that Lucius had been monitoring the Dursley residence and had managed to get there before Severus and some other nonsense that Severus was not listening to because his obsidian gaze was searching the hospital wing for another head of spiky black locks.

He found it, peeking out of a bundle of hospital sheets two beds away, and for a split second he wondered if that was all that was left of the Golden Boy. But then, as if sensing his gaze, the sleeping child shifted under the covers, rolling about until his pale face peeked out as well.

He was thwarted from considering the boy further, however, by Dumbledore’s cheery proclamation. “Poppy, I do believe our last patient is awake.” His voice, sometimes sounding as old and frail as he looked, carried across the wing clearly. Before Severus could bound off the bed, the mediwitch was bearing down on him, waving her wand round and round, poking and prodding and huffing and tsking at him as if he were some meddlesome little boy that was always covered in scrapes and bruises. Like Potter. He scowled.

Of course, Poppy’s ministrations were only a precursor to another female frequenting the hospital ward quite often as of late. As soon as Poppy was done and had turned to fuss over the deeply sleeping teenager in the room, she had descended on him in a flurry of hugs and kisses Severus thought would have done Molly Weasley proud. And, try as he might, he couldn’t bring himself to scowl at her.

Finally, after calling him a long list of names that would make a Slytherin blush, and conducting a check to see for herself that he was all in one piece that had the Headmaster scurrying for the moral safety of Poppy’s office, she gazed at him with adoring eyes. Though they were red and puffy, and she looked rather like a splotchy young mandrake, Severus could not have found her more beautiful.

“I take it you are finished?” he asked softly.

Her lips trembled, but she did manage to nod. He felt bad, for being so brusque, but it was not in his nature to be soft and cuddly, the way she insisted she saw him. And, he considered, taking in her hair that had migrated back to its natural brown, as it did only when she was under extreme stress, she did deserve a bit of cuddling.

Without giving himself time to think himself out of it, he opened his arms to her, wishing anyone who even dared to look at them would die a painful death. All threats to his reputation were worth it, however, as she folded herself into his embrace, and he tucked her head under his chin. Poppy could prescribe all the potions and therapies she wanted. This was the kind of treatment he needed.

~*~

He did not know when he had fallen asleep. But he had, and when he woke up, it was to the strangest sensation. He was, for lack of a better word, curled around someone, a soft, smaller someone who smelled suspiciously like grapes and his favorite cologne….

But this was not the strange sensation that had disturbed him, though, of course, for him to wake up so close to another being was strange in of itself. No, it was the feeling of the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end, his skin erupting into goose flesh; it was the feeling of being watched.

After that, it didn’t take much effort to discover who was watching him sleep. The hospital ward was empty save for three breathing persons, one who was asleep against him, himself and another who was supposed to be unconscious. He glanced towards the supposedly sleeping teen, and, sure enough, found green eyes watching him intently.

“Potter.” He nearly gagged. His voice was still soft and rough sounding, nothing like the silky baritone he was so fond of utilizing.

Nevertheless the child jumped slightly in his bed, curling in on himself as if trying to make himself seem smaller than he already was. “Sorry sir,” he whispered.

Severus tried, he really did. But the anger he usually felt so eager to unleash upon the small child was nowhere to be found. All he could summon, much to his disgust, was the infuriating need to make the child feel better, though he would rather die than admit it out loud.

The boy sounded exhausted, and Severus could silently agree, what with the night he had endured. But, he thought to himself, that had been days ago, according to Albus. Speaking softly, so as not to disturb his bedmate, he asked, “How are you feeling?”

Surprised eyes looked up at him, tinged with just a little bit of confusion. Severus suppressed a sigh. The boy was an open book, his emotions practically jumping out at a person. No wonder Old Snake Face had been so able to feed off the child’s fear.

“Questions are generally asked with ample anticipation of an answer, child.”

Those eyes dropped. “Sorry sir.” Pale fingers plucked at the blanket covering his shoulder. “I guess I feel fine, sir. I don’t hurt anymore, but I feel a bit sore though, like I’ve been asleep for too long.” Green eyes once again flickered to meet his, and the boy nervously bit his lip.

“Go on,” Severus encouraged, sensing the boy had more to say. Truthfully he was surprised the boy had answered at all. He was expecting to have to wrest it from his lips. But this way was fine by him, really.

“I am a bit hungry though, if, if that’s ok sir.”

Rage bubbled up from somewhere. “It is entirely ok, you idiotic child, for you to be hungry. You do not have to ask to – Oh I can’t believe this. DOBBY!”

The house elf’s crack of apparition was disturbed by a soft chuckling coming from the region of his chest. “It’s so nice to see you back to yourself already, dear,” his love’s voice mumbled at him. Shooting her a glare as she climbed over him to retrieve her shoes, Severus then turned and addressed the already bouncing house elf.

“How can Dobby be helping Master and Mistress Professor? Anythings you is needing, Master Professor, tells Dobby and Dobby is bringing it right to Professor, sir!”

Severus could only glare at the ecstatic creature. WHY had he summoned the overenthusiastic little being in the first place? He felt a headache coming on, and only just barely managed not to succumb to the urge to massage his temples. “Master Professor is wanting – “ He caught himself, appalled. It didn’t help that his bed seemed suddenly so large and the softness that had previously taken up all that space was on standing behind him, laughing.

Severus sneered. “I want breakfast, you damnable elf. I want three trays of whatever it is you bloody creatures have cooked up down there immediately. Well!” he snapped. “Why are you still here?”

Dobby beamed up at him, completely unfazed by the angry man’s words. “Dobby is getting it. And Professor no worry. Dobby understands that Professor be feeling angrys after a night with Madame Pomfrey, sir! Dobby is making it all better.” The diminutive figure reached forward to pat Severus’ hand comfortingly. “Dobby is even bringing Professor’s favorite tea!”

Dobby’s crack was lost amidst the sound of Tonks’ laughter.

~*~

Severus sat, amused to no end, at the sight playing out before him. Sometime during the meal Tonks had noticed the brat had had two servings of everything, but had neglected his green beans. (Why anyone had green beans served with breakfast was beyond him, really.) Of course, she’d quickly found a solution for that, and had promptly plopped herself down on the bed next to him. Of course, anyone could guess she was feeding him the remainder of his breakfast. The scene was pleasant enough, other than the fact that his intended was feeding a fifteen-year-old wizard instead of him, but the fact that the child pouted every time a green bean came his way had him chuckling softly into his promised cup of tea.

Soon the boy became resigned to his fate, and accepted the vegetables with only the smallest grimace. Unfortunately for him, that meant the boy was free to ask questions.

“Sir, shouldn’t we be telling Professor Dumbledore about what happened?” Severus glared irritably at the small teenager, and felt a vindictive pleasure when Nymphadora slipped a whole spoonful of beans into his open mouth.

“I have been informed that Mr. Malfoy has provided all necessary information.” He said evenly. “Everyone is primarily concerned that you and I recover, child, so please, eat your breakfast.”

Harry wrinkled his nose. “It’s just green beans, sir. And how did Mr. Malfoy get here?” He was rewarded with another spoonful of icky vegetable, and a quick kiss on the cheek.

“That was the last one, love.” As she hopped off his bed at collect their trays, Harry turned wide eyes to his Professor, and was shocked to see the man burst into laughter. “Don’t get used to it, brat. She’s mine.” Harry blushed spectacularly, and focused on chewing his beans.

Neither of them had answered his question though. How had the man gotten here. Last he knew he had been left behind in the clearing in front of Malfoy Manor. It wasn’t too far fetched to admit that he’d thought the man might have died that night. He shuddered. He didn’t want to be the cause of anyone’s death. A quick picture of Cedric, lying dead in the graveyard came to him. Well, anyone else’s death, anyway.

The events of that night washed over him, and Harry shuddered violently, caught up in a tide of phantom pain and screams. He didn’t even want to think about it, but the images kept coming. He wasn’t aware of when he started keening, or when he’d curled up on the bed. He was aware, though, of arms wrapping around him, and being held while Voldemort played out in his mind. He shuddered again. He wasn’t there. He was at Hogwarts. He was safe. He was. He, Harry the idiot child, was safe at Hogwarts, safe with Professor Snape and Tonks and Madame Pomfrey was going to douse him with a calming draught if he didn’t calm down soon child…..

“…. You are safe. I have you. Voldemort cannot reach you here child. Just breath. Ou are not there, ridiculous brat. You are at Hogwarts. You are safe at Hogwarts. Feel the bed beneath you, idiot child. Feel the bed ad the sheets. You are safe. I won’t let anyone hurt you. You are safe. Safe at Hogwarts, child. Hogwarts. Can you say that child? Hog – “

“Hogwarts.” The word was a small, painful whisper, but he said it anyway. He was safe. Safe at Hogwarts. “Safe.” Harry took a shaky breath. “Snape.” Another shaky breath, and he burrowed his face into the man’s robes and sobbed.

“Oh, yes child,” Severus said dryly. “Just soil my pajama top, why don’t you?” He attempted to sound annoyed, but the effect was lost as he combed a hand through the child’s thick locks. He looked up and glared at the small group assembled there. “Can you or can you not give the boy some privacy?” Dumbledore and Lucius seemed supremely unmoved, while Tonks and Poppy marched away, unsuccessful in hiding the smiles that split their faces.

Severus glared at their retreating backs, and then transferred his glare to his mentor and best friend, and then kicked it up a notch. “Lucius.” He turned his glare to the blotchy face that had peeked out of his robes, curious besides his hitching breaths. The child took one look at his ‘I’m an-evil-Death-Eater glare and re-immersed himself with memorizing the finer points of Snape’s dark blue cotton shirt.

Inwardly chuckling, he returned his gaze to Malfoy, and resisted the urge to growl. The man’s eyes were twinkling almost as much as the older wizard beside him. “I do believe we need to talk.”

Grinning unrepentantly, Lucius nodded. “Of course, as soon as you are not otherwise occupied.” He smirked at Severus growl. I’ll be with Headmaster Dumbledore whenever you need me.” With a swish of his cloak he was gone, striding out of the hospital wing.

Severus met the old man’s twinkle head on. “Would you care to explain how Lucius Malfoy came to know about Harry’s condition that night, Albus?” he asked dangerously.

The twinkle abated, somewhat, but would not be defeated. Severus was calling the boy ‘Harry’ after all, never mind the fact that he was cuddling the child.

“It is simple really. Lucius Malfoy has been a spy for the Order since the last war. When he found out I had placed Harry with his Muggle relatives he became quite upset. I do believe I challenged him to look after young mister Potter, but from a safe distance away.” His expression turned thoughtful. “I admit, whatever method he was using is faulty at best, as all evidence points to the fact that Harry’s relative’s behavior these past few weeks is quite normal. However, I’m sure that when Mr. Malfoy returns to speak with you, you will be able to extract the right information from him. At the moment, incidentally, there is one important matter that must be addressed.”

His gaze settled on the unruly locks currently wrapped around his Potions Professor’s fingers. The child was apparently quite content, and seemed to be dozing lightly. “It appears to me that Mr. Potter is without a place to stay for the foreseeable future. It would seem – “

“Oh Albus, stop!” Severus kneaded his temples. “We all know you’re going to ask me to watch over the boy. It would be infinitely easier on my state of mind if you would just up and state things directly for a change.”

Dumbledore cleared his throat. “Yes, well, as it is – “

“Yes Albus. I’ll take the boy. Dora and I won’t be wed till the end of the summer, and I’m sure she’ll just jump on the opportunity spoil the child senseless.”

“Sevvyy, have you been peeking into my mind again?” The young auror sidled up to him, pouting. “I thought you said you weren’t going to do that anymore?”

Snape scoffed. “I don’t need Legimency to see that within a week in his company I will be the farthest thing from your thoughts.” He looked at her darkly. “I am not looking forward to being replaced by a pint-sized wizard, woman.”

He valiantly fought the urge to pout as she threw her head back and laughed. “And you say you don’t have a sense of humor, lovie,” she said, threading her fingers through his hair.

Albus cleared his throat awkwardly. “Yes, well, thank you both. I will be in touch, if there are any difficulties.”

And then Albus was scurrying out of the ward. Severus stared after the man curiously, till he tore his gaze away and turned a questioning glance up at his fiancé. Then, Albus’ hasty retreat made perfect sense.

“Dora. I am holding a sleeping child in my arms. It would be highly inappropriate to engage in … any … of those activities you are thinking about.”

His insides melted when her smile turned feral. “Well, lovie, if you would just put him down, we could engage in as many of those activities as we like, hmm? I’ve even got a section cordoned off. Would you like to see, Sevy?”

‘All things considered’, Severus thought as he gently settled Harry down into the sheets and tucked them around his thin torso, ’there really were some nice benefits to falling for those Gryffindors.’ He caught her slim hand in his. And if Poppy couldn’t find him for the remainder of the day, then so be it.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1681