The Second Prophecy Of Harry Potter by crystalz70
Summary: Harry's secret is revealed. A new prophecy is told and Snape plays a crucial role to Harry's survival! Story takes place following the summer after GOF.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 23592 Read: 43770 Published: 19 Oct 2008 Updated: 01 Aug 2009
Chapter 5 - Fire by crystalz70

It had been three days since Harry had last seen or spoken with the Headmaster. He had spent hours waiting by the Gargoyles protecting Dumbledore’s office whenever he had the chance. He had to find out what was happening with this odd spell that had been cast on him and Snape and Dumbledore was conveniently absent. He hadn’t been told anything further since the day they had found out.

He was so desperate for information that he was close to telling Hermione about it. Snape had forbid him from telling anyone but Harry didn’t give a hoot what Snape wanted. The man was downright evil since they had found out about the blood bond. Harry took to avoiding any place that Snape might possibly be in the vicinity of. Although his visions and headaches had grown progressively worse, he still didn’t want to be close to the man.

He knew he couldn’t avoid Snape forever, especially since he had Potions today. He knew if he didn’t show up Snape would give him detention, forcing him to spend more time with the bad-tempered man.

Both Hermione and Ron had been acting odd lately, giggling together and whispering when they didn’t think Harry could hear them. It bothered Harry that they felt like they needed to hide whatever feelings they had for each other from him. He had tried to avoid being alone with them as much as possible, even going so far as hiding out in the library during their free period. He was just coming from the library where he had fallen asleep and woken up to find class had already begun.

He picked up his pace knowing already that he was going to be very late for Potions class. One lone first year ran up to him, jerking to a halt when he saw who it was. Harry frowned back at the look of fear in the boy’s eyes. Very slowly the boy edged against the wall and nervously moved past him. Harry huffed out in frustration.

Most of the kids at Hogwarts kept far away from him, thinking he might have had something to do with Cedric’s death. Even his dorm mates had started to treat him as if he were a dangerous criminal. Just this morning he had caught Seamus telling a group of second years that he was afraid to close his eyes at night with “Peculiar Potty” in the room. When they spotted Harry at the portrait hole they had all pretended to be talking about someone else.

He hated to admit that he probably did seem like he was a bit touched in the head. He hadn’t slept much, causing him to get dark circles under his eyes giving him a haunted look. His headaches and visions had caused him to gasp out in pain right in the middle of class. This was always followed by furtive looks and wary stares as if the students were waiting for him to pull his wand out and Crucio someone.

He hiked the strap from his book bag onto his shoulder just as he descended the last set of stairs leading down into the Potions classroom. He shivered as the icy cold air in the dungeons washed over him. Why was it always so bloody cold down here, he thought as he gripped the rail tighter. Just before he came to the end of the stairs, three dark figures stepped around the corner.

Harry stumbled back, tripping up the stair behind him. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing; three Death Eaters in masks wearing black robes had their wands drawn and pointed at him!

He grabbed for his wand but was not quick enough to block the oncoming silent spell. He was able to turn his body just in time so the curse hit him on the back. With a howl of pain he crumpled to the ground and his wand went clattering down the last few steps. One of the Death Eaters pulled out a shiny object and was just about to grab Harry‘s arm when a black cloud erupted out of nowhere, rendering the entire hallway into pitch blackness. It was so dark you couldn’t even see your hand in front of your face.

With his back blazing in pain, Harry took that chance to back up further and scoot back up the stairs. He thought he heard someone whisper out, “Abort!”

He had only made it up a few steps when another spell was called out, “Finite Incantatem!”

All at once the hallway cleared of dark smoke, leaving it hazy. Even through the haze, Harry could make out the tall dark figure looming over him.

“Get up, you stupid boy!“ Snape grabbed hold of the Harry’s arm, ignoring the sharp pain that action caused him. “There has been a breech in the wards. We must get you to a safe room.”

Harry could hear the urgency in Snape’s words but he couldn’t move. The burning coming from his back rendered him almost helpless.

“On your feet, boy!” Snape hissed, pulling him onto his feet.

He let Snape push him into an empty classroom and into a chair. He watched as Snape warded the door with several powerful spells before sending a message out of his wand.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut as a wave of burning pain sunk deeper into his bones. A small cry escaped his lips. Snape stopped pacing and turned to glare down at him.

“Potter, are you hurt?”

Harry dropped his head onto his folded arms on the desk. Before he had a chance to answer his arms were fiercely grabbed as Snape dropped down to a knee before him.

“Potter! What spell did they cast against you?”

Harry’s foggy brain could barely understand the question. When Snape shook him hard he forced himself to answer, “My back .. b-burning.”

Snape yanked him forward, causing him to fall off the chair and onto his knees against his teacher. He didn’t even care that he was now draped over Snape’s knee. Ruthless hands ripped his robe and shirt from his back causing him to cry out. Snape held him firmly in place as the teacher began to recite spell after spell, tapping his back as he spoke. The pain worsened with each tap, sending Harry into further agony.

Harry gripped his teacher’s pant leg, begging him, “Snape, stop! It’s making it worse, STOP!”

The professor didn’t respond to him but kept reciting his counter spell.

It felt like forever but was probably only a few minutes before the pain began to subside enough for Harry to come to his senses. He found himself clutching Snape’s pant leg with tears streaming down his face. The teacher pulled him upright, holding him by the shoulders so they were both facing each other, still on their knees. Harry was in such intense pain that as soon as Snape let go of his shoulders he couldn’t stop himself from slumping forward against his teacher.

Severus stiffened for a moment before pushing the boy back away from him. The weak teen crumbled to the ground as soon as he let go. He stood up and took a few steps back, staring down at the bloody child at his feet. The spell that had been cast at Potter had caused the boy’s flesh to burn off his back. If he hadn’t been there to stop the curse it would have burnt the boy alive.

He stepped further back, looking away from the teen since there was nothing more he could do for the teen.

He listened intently for any sounds of fighting, wondering what was happening in the castle. All the portraits lining the walls were silent and void of any people. Something was definitely wrong within the walls of Hogwarts. He knew Albus would be anxious for Potter‘s state, causing his uneasiness to grow since the Head Master had yet to respond to his urgent message. He heard a moan and looked over at the heap on the floor.

It took him a moment to realize the boy was quietly crying. He could see the child’s shoulders shaking as the sobs caught in the boy’s throat. Severus felt an uncomfortable pull towards the boy. He frowned as he stepped closer to the child. Without wanting to, he dropped down to one knee next Potter‘s head. His uncertainty over what he should do next disturbed him.

“Potter, hush up now, help is on the way,” Severus shook his head, knowing that was probably not the most comforting of words to offer an ailing boy.

Harry covered his face with both hands, willing the pain to subside. It felt like someone was holding a flame to his back. He jerked away when a hand touched his shoulder. His muddled mind thought maybe the Death Eaters were back.

“Help will be here soon,” came a deep, unwavering voice, bringing Harry back into the here and now. He opened his eyes to see his teacher kneeling next to him. Even through his pain, he found it oddly comforting when Snape placed a hand on his head and left it there.

“The pain will subside soon. This curse is a favorite used by the Dark Lord’s followers.” Severus shot another message from his wand, cursing the medi-witch for taking so long to reach them. The castle must have went into lock down mode while the castle was being searched for intruders.

His own alarms had gone off in his classroom alerting him to the breech in security. He had left his classroom full of students, locking the door behind him before going in search of Potter. He knew the boy would most likely be the target of any intruders. The Dark Lord had made it abundantly clear that whomever captured Potter would be held in the highest regard. Voldemort had not taken kindly to being overpowered in that graveyard during the Tri-wizard tournament last school year and vowed to get even with the boy.

The boy looked up at him through red rimmed eyes and asked, “Can you make the fire stop?”

Alarmed, the Potion Master quickly pulled the boy forward to make sure that the curse had been cancelled. His stomach twisted at the sight of the flayed open back before him. He used his wand to determine that the curse had indeed ended. The boy was just feeling the terrible after effects of the dark curse.

“Poppy will have a potion to help with the pain,” he said, feeling strangely distressed over seeing the boy in so much pain. He didn’t protest, nor move away when the boy slumped against him again.

“It will not be much longer,” he offered lamely, not having much experience in consoling anyone. He placed a hand on the boy’s head once more, remembering how that had seemed to calm the teen before.

Harry tried to swallow the lump in his throat. He didn’t want to cry, especially not while leaning against Snape. He tried to sit up but found he didn‘t have the strength for it. Snape shifted so that Harry fell more firmly against him.

Severus leaned up against the wall so the boy wouldn’t be in such an uncomfortable position. He kept his hand on Potter’s head.

Harry could barely keep his eyes open and forced himself to relax against his teacher. He began to breath easier as the pain in his head subsided. His back still burned like Hades but at least the pain in his scar was gone now. He wondered if Snape was feeling Voldemort’s anger now?

They stayed like that, sitting on the dungeon classroom floor for almost an hour before the classroom door opened. Albus stopped short at the sight before him. He couldn’t help feeling satisfaction in seeing his most stern Potion Master comforting Harry Potter. Perhaps Lily did know what she was doing in casting the blood bond? He had to admit to himself that he had had his doubts as to what Lily had hoped to accomplish.

As soon as Severus spotted the headmaster he sat up straighter.

“Albus, Potter needs a medi-witch immediately,” Severus peeled the sleeping teen away from his chest, feeling a surge of regret for having disturbed the boy’s much needed reprieve from pain.

Harry woke up with a start, immediately overcome with the pain emanating from his back. He cried out before covering his mouth.

The headmaster was at his side in a flash, helping him to stand, “Come, Harry. Madame Pomfrey is beside herself with worry for you. We couldn‘t reach you until now.” Albus shook his head at Severus, indicating that he would fill him in later.

Harry groaned in agony with every step he took. He stumbled, catching himself against a desk, his knees shaking. Snape took hold of his other arm.

“Albus,” Severus said to get the headmaster’s attention. He realized the headmaster had no idea how bad Potter was injured since the boy had had his back facing away from Albus. He turned the boy around so Albus could see the damage that had been inflicted. The fury that crossed the headmaster’s face was startling, even for him to witness. He was glad that anger was not directed at him.

“I believe a levitation charm will be in order, Harry,” Albus said in a voice not to be brooked.

Harry couldn’t argue with that, he was barely able to stand. His body floated in the air. He tensed up as his body tilted so he was facing the ceiling. The last thing he remembered before passing out was a hand pressed to his head.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you like the story so far!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1685