Like My Father by Quipped to Death
Summary: Harry wants more than anything to be more like his father. In an attempt to change himself something goes wrong and he ends up in the care of his hated Potions Master. Can they form the bond Harry has longed for his whole life?
This story is AU and will not be following canon.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Creature!fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 34536 Read: 59559 Published: 17 Nov 2008 Updated: 09 Feb 2009
Corner Time by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Lots of Time in the Corner.

Waking Potter up in the morning certainly was a daunting task. Severus nearly swatted the child's bottom when he rolled over onto his belly at his first command to get up. Never one to give up Severus marched over from the doorway and stopped just at the foot of the bed.

"Mr. Potter if you do not get up by the time I finish counting to 10 you will regret it. 1...2...3...4...5..., I am not in the habit of kidding Mr. Potter.

Harry sat up and rubbed at his eyes. 6...7...

"I'm awake." The child said petulantly.

"You are not out of your bed young man. You know I do not like repeating myself."

"Fine, I'll get up." Potter said while throwing his covers off and sliding his body over the side of the bed much like a snake.

"Must you be so laggard in the morning?" Severus asked him with a sneer. Really the boy was constantly making them late.

"What?"

"I will give you permission to look it up in one of my dictionaries later Potter for now get dressed."

This was exasperating. Couldn't Potter just get himself up and ready for the day? This would certainly not be routine. Severus would see to that.

"Why can't you just tell me what it means?" The child asked looking upset.

"Never mind just get ready for breakfast."

"Are we going to the Great Hall for breakfast?" Potter asked while digging out his clothes from his drawer.

"Not if you don't hurry up."

With that Severus left the boy to himself for a few minutes. He needed to get a few notes together for his 7th year class. He was sorting said notes when Potter came out of his bedroom. Severus turned to hand the boy his collar. He nearly dropped everything he was holding.

"Potter, what are you wearing?"

"My clothes... I think." He answered readily enough his face turning red at the scrutiny.

He was wearing plaid pants that were mainly green and a red t-shirt that had a snitch flying around the child's upper torso. It was distracting to say the least.

"Go put something else on." Severus ordered.

"Everything's pretty much like this and I like this outfit the best." He said stubbornly.

They didn't have time to argue about it. It was time to go and no one would see that hideous outfit because the boy would be in his other form.

"Very well. When we return this afternoon we will go through your wardrobe and sort your wardrobe. Now put on your collar we need to go." Severus said as he handed the boy his collar.

Potter slipped it over his head and shrunk to his smaller form.

"Good boy lets go."

Severus tucked his scrolls into his inner robes and then bent to pick the small wolf up. The boy wasn't happy about being carried but Severus wanted to get to the Great Hall before the rest of the school body.

They arrived well before the usual rush and Severus put the boy on the floor by his chair. In the morning there wasn't a wait for the meal. It appeared when someone sat down. The boy's food was there as well. Severus tucked into his porridge and sausage when the post flew in. His daily newspaper dropped next to him. Scanning the front page he nearly choked at the main headline.

Harry Potter Deathly Ill! 

Severus looked around to see what the reaction of the Hall was. Children were just sitting down to eat and began murmuring to each other quietly. Undoubtedly they were already talking about the headlines.

Severus quickly scanned over the story.

    [There have been reports that The Boy Who Lived is on his deathbed. He hasn't been at Hogwarts since the start of school and there are those that believe that the boy has been kidnapped or worse dead. Anonymous persons at the school confirm that he is not in attendance and that the headmaster himself at the beginning of the term deemed Potter to be gravely ill. The Ministry reports that they have no information to give and that everything is strictly confidential. Which leads this reporter to believe the worst.]

On and on the ridiculous story went signed by none other than that horrible woman Rita Skeeter. It was all based on speculation and anonymous interviews. Was there no way to regulate that woman's idiocy?

Severus folded the paper and continued his meal. No need to show any outward alarm. This meant nothing. She was merely looking to stir the cauldron that was the Wizarding World.

Finishing his meal, Severus started on his cup of tea. He casually glanced at the Headmaster to gauge his reaction.

Nothing but twinkling eyes of course.

"Severus if I may have a word or two with you in my office later?" The Headmaster called down from the middle of the table.

 "Certainly Headmaster as soon as my first class is finished."

"That would be excellent and I'm certain a well selected student could watch your familiar for you at that time."

"One comes to mind." Severus replied.

 "Wonderful, I'll see you then." The headmaster said while leaving the table.

Surely nothing would change. Their situation was the same regardless of what the news said. For some reason he had a bad feeling about this meeting later with Dumbledore.

*****

Class was boring once again. Harry was tired of sleeping all the time. All he wanted to do was run around or at least do something under the stupid desk. The space was big enough for him to sit there in his kid body.

He could read a book, maybe do some wand practice or Merlin forbid start those ridiculous lines Snape assigned him. He just needed something to do.

Everyone knew he was supposed to be Snape's familiar. So why couldn't he at least walk out and about in the classroom?

That's what Snape was doing right now. He'd already lectured and was moving around in the room criticizing each cauldron as he passed.

Harry wondered if he would be noticed sneaking out from beneath the desk to just stretch. He poked his head out to see if the coast was clear. When out of nowhere...

"What do you think you're doing young man?" A low voice asked from above. Without sniffing Harry knew who it was. Who else would dream of coming behind Snape's desk?

He looked up at the man and shook his head back and forth to imply ‘No where.'

"Get back to your spot Felan," Snape said while pointing under the desk.

Harry stepped back the few paces he'd taken.

"Stay!" Snape ordered him like a dog.

He had some nerve embarrassing him like that. It really was no different than if he was in class though if Harry thought about it.

He was upset and showed it by growling.

Snape merely cast a Silencio on him.

Humph.

Harry wasn't too happy with that and began an assault of his own.

While one wouldn't normally think head butting shins was a good way of getting even, it was all Harry could come up with at the moment.

Harry kept at it for a minute or so till he realized that he wasn't bothering Snape. The man kept scribbling away overhead.

In for a Knut in for a Galleon, Harry thought. He caught up a bit of Snape's pant leg and started chewing at it like a real puppy would.

"If you are quite finished..." Snape spoke in a cool voice.

  Not one of my brighter ideas.

"You can bottle your potions and leave them on my desk." Snape finished.

Harry would have let out a sigh of relief but something told him the first half of that statement was directed at him as well.

Snape waited till all the students had left before he bent his head below his desk and picked his ward up by the scruff of the neck. He planted Harry on his desk then shot several spells towards the classroom door.

"You have my attention you little beast." Snape said while pulling the collar over Harry's head.

Now that he had Snape's attention he didn't know where to start.

"You wanted to tell me something Potter?" Snape asked with a hint of sarcasm.

"I'm...I'm bored and I'm tired of sleeping. I have nothing to do all day," Harry said with a bit of a whine. He realized this and turned a bit red at the childish behavior.

"That gives you the right to attack me?" Snape said with a snarl.

"I told you I had to think of something while we adjust to these new arrangements. Need I remind you that had you been thinking like a reasonable person at the beginning of this term you would be in class with your grubby little friend's right this moment instead of my company?" Snape scolded.

"No," Harry said his voice pitched a bit higher feeling tears coming on.

He wouldn't cry. He'd cried too much lately. This man wouldn't make him cry again. He obviously didn't care about him just like the Dursleys. Harry was an obligation to them. Something forced on them. Now he was forced on this man, his enemy since his first day here at Hogwarts.

Harry looked down at his shoes which were dangling over the desk. Snape sat in his chair in front of him with his arms crossed.

"If you have nothing to say Potter than you will go stand in the corner until I say otherwise." Snape said while placing Harry on the ground.

Harry walked over to the corner where the shelves were lined against one side. There were things looking at him from those jars so he closed his eyes.

He knew Snape wanted an apology but he wasn't in the mood to give one. The bastard had pushed his bad decisions in his face again. Harry knew he'd done wrong and he was living with the consequences. What else could he do?

Feeling resigned to standing in the corner for awhile Harry leaned his forehead against the cool stone wall.

"Stand up straight Potter!" Snape demanded from his desk.

Snape would have to let him back over when the next class came in which couldn't be too long from now. Harry could wait till then.

A knock came at the door to the dungeon classroom. Snape cast some unlocking charms and someone came in.

"Have a seat Draco and I'll be with you in a moment." Harry heard Snape say while scribbling away at more paper.

"In the corner again Potter? Seems you are perpetually in some kind of trouble." Malfoy said with a snicker.

Harry waited to see if Snape would say anything.

He said nothing just kept at whatever he was doing.

"What was it this time Potter? Did you wet your pants?" Draco taunted.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Harry shot back.

"Did little Potter get another smacking?"

"No I didn't, so there. Leave me alone!" Harry shouted.

"Touchy little thing aren't you?" Draco sneered.

"Why you stupid git... Harry said while turning around ready to fight.

"Enough!" Snape roared.

"Potter you are in the corner. You are not to speak. You are to contemplate why you are there and what you need to do to get out of it." Snape directed at him.

He then turned on Draco.

"Draco I did not give you leave to speak to Potter. Obviously he is in trouble and is serving a punishment I doled out. If you interfere in that again you will find yourself in a similar situation. Turn around Potter." At the last Snape directed to him.

Harry turned around muttering on the unfairness of it all.

"And be quiet," Snape said

*****

Severus needed to get to the Headmaster's office. He'd chosen Draco to watch the boy but it may not have been one of his greater ideas. He cast a silencing spell over the two of them.

"I need for you to watch Potter while I go meet with the Headmaster." Severus started.

"What? No thank you."

"I wasn't asking I'm telling you Draco and don't push my patience on this. I have none left to spare after a few days with that child."

"He's fifteen for Merlin's sake, he can watch himself." Draco complained.

"He was fifteen till the accident. Right now he's around the age of five with his fifteen year old memories. It is difficult for him to differentiate the two. He's mostly a five year old though." Severus explained.

"I've never been around a small child before for any length of time and this is Potter we're talking about. You know we've been at each other's throats since first year. I would sooner strangle him." Draco stated hotly.

"Draco. Grow up." Severus told him somewhat angered.

The boy looked offended.

"I must go now. Potter will remain in the corner for five more minutes. Then you may take him down to my quarters and get him started on the lines he owes me. They're on the dining table. You may use Weeble to fetch study material from your dorm or you may read selections from the bottom book shelves." Severus told the boy.

He lifted the silencing spell.

"Potter turn around." Severus directed the boy.

"I must visit with the Headmaster. It will be for an hour or so. You will do as Draco says. Do not repeat the stunt you pulled with him before." Severus told him.

Surprisingly the boy nodded his head.

"I've instructed him that you will stand there another five minutes and then you will head to the quarters. There you will start your lines. Do you understand Potter?" Severus asked him.

"Yes sir." The boy said.

"Here is his transformation collar. He must have it on before you leave this room. If he misbehaves you have the right to put him in the corner, nothing more. Do not taunt him Draco." Severus finished.

"Turn back around Potter." Severus instructed.

"Transformation?" Draco asked.

Severus had not told Draco that Potter was an Animagi who was pretending to be his familiar.

"Draco meet Falen." Severus said while pointing at Potter.

Draco looked down at his hand and seemed to be recalling a previous incident.

"When I come back for lunch I expect to hear what you thought during this time of reflection." Severus told directed at Potter.

With the lecturing finished Severus headed out the door to what felt like certain doom.

*****

How could he leave me in my enemy's hands? Harry wondered.

"Alright Potter that's five minutes you can come out now," Malfoy said.

Harry turned around and walked over cautiously towards him.

"What did you do anyway?" The blond boy asked.

"None of you business." Harry told him flatly.

"It's not nice to be rude to your elders Potter. Maybe you should have a bit more time in the corner." Malfoy said while pretending to inspect his finger nails.

"We're the same age and you can't make me." Harry doubted that as soon as he said it. Malfoy was much bigger than him now.

"Didn't you hear the Professor just now? If you misbehave I can put you in the corner." Malfoy said with a smirk.

"I don't want to. I want to start my lines!

That wasn't true but Harry didn't want to be in this situation anymore.

"I bet you do. Get in the corner Potter," Malfoy commanded.

"Never!"

With that Harry decided to run for it.  He went under the student desks and tried to make it to Snape's office. The door was standing wide open. He nearly made it before a spell came whizzing toward him. His legs locked and he went down bumping his head on the stone floor.

"Are you out of your mind?" Malfoy screeched while running up panting. He put his hands on his knees and looked down on Harry.

 Being petrified left you without the ability to respond so Harry just blinked his response which was rather rude in his head.

"Severus' office is highly warded. You would've been knocked senseless then I would've been in for the hiding of my life.

Snape wouldn't spank The Prince of Slytherin, not in a million years.  Harry thought.

"Let's just go to the quarters before you get us both killed." Malfoy said while lifting the spell on Harry.

Harry got up and rubbed the back of his head and found a bruise forming there.

"Here you go Potter." Malfoy said as he handed him his collar.

Harry slipped it over his head and melted down into his smaller form. Malfoy picked him up and headed out the door.

"If you bite me again Felan I'll conjure a muzzle and leash before you can say ‘woof' do you hear me?" Malfoy threatened.

Harry understood but he barked just the same.

Let him try to figure that out the git.

*****

Severus was sitting in front of the Headmaster's desk with a cup of tea and a scone that the old fool had floated there against Severus' wishes.

"What did you want to see me about Headmaster?" Severus asked while putting the sugary stuff to the side.

"I take it you read the newspaper this morning?" The man started.

Severus nodded. Of course he'd seen it. Every literate wizard and witch in the country had seen it.

"The Minister is taking it upon himself to see to it personally to check on young Mr. Potter. He will be dropping by here tomorrow what with it being the weekend and all." Albus started.

That was no great surprise. Severus had figured it would be something of this magnitude.

"Seeing as our young friend is not ill at all I will have to explain the situation and what we are doing to rectify Harry's problem."

"There is nothing to rectify his problem besides natural growth." Severus reminded him.

"As we both know but in order to keep the cards in our favor a different explanation for the ministry is in order."

This would be another conspiracy. The Headmaster wanted to cover up that the brat was for all purposes a small child again. If the Ministry knew the information could be leaked and the Dark Lord would know of the child's weakness. It was best to hide the child as long as possible.

"I agree Headmaster but I fail to see where I am concerned." Severus said.

"The Minister will want to see Harry of course. I will tell him the boy is on the mend. Should the Minister find out otherwise other arrangements will have to be made."

"Other arrangements?" Severus asked.

"Certainly, Harry will have to be adopted or the Ministry will feel the desire to take it upon itself to become his guardian. The sooner we have him tucked away the least damage the Ministry can do to the Order's plans."

All of this is to protect your precious weapon Albus? Who will you send the boy to now?

It didn't really concern Severus who the boy went to in the end. He knew he would only have to care for him till the end of the school year. He ignored the feeling of heaviness sitting on his chest.

"I just wanted to make sure you were prepared for the Ministers arrival," Albus continued.  

"Very well sir. Was there anything else?"

"How are things going between you and your young charge?"

How are things going? He's driving me insane and you know it.

"He is a nuisance and a menace. I have no free time to myself. I can think of nothing for him to do during the daytime. He's probably losing his mind as well. He attacked me today while in his other form."

Severus realized he was nearly shouting and shut his mouth glaring at the man in front of him who appeared to be laughing silently.

"Severus I would say you have two very willing students who would watch young Harry when they have free periods.  Ms. Granger could tell you hundreds of things Harry could do while you are busy in class. Come to think of it I will come down later and put a nice play room next to your classroom that will be quite hidden. Then Harry will be out of your hair." Albus said.

That could just work. It would certainly keep the brat busy so he could get some work accomplished. He'd have to see that this playroom wasn't just for playing but learning as well. No ward of Severus Snape would be a dunderhead, even if he was the son of James Potter.

"Thank you Headmaster. That will go a long way in securing my sanity."

"You're welcome my boy. Now I do believe you should go and check up on the boys and see if Mr. Malfoy was a good choice to leave Harry with."

I didn't tell him I'd left him with Draco. Are my shields down? Severus checked. His shields were as high as if he were with the Dark Lord himself. Not that he needed to hide from Dumbledore but some things were his alone.

He didn't think too long on it. Dumbledore had his ways of knowing things that went on in the castle.

"I trust Draco not to harm the boy. He would know I would punish him severely if he went against my wishes."

Dumbledore sat there with a smile on his face.

"Severus can you imagine listening to anyone should you be put in charge of a five year old James Potter?"

Severus paled. Leaving Potter in Draco's care may not have been a bright idea after all.

"I believe I'll be going Headmaster."

The man nodded.

"Have a good afternoon Severus. I will send a message before the Minister arrives.

Severus left hoping the two boys hadn't killed each other.

*****

Harry sat in a seat at the dining table. He had to sit on his knees in able to write properly. Snape had set up everything already. He had one hundred lines of ‘I will take time to control my temper and think before I speak.' The quill was extremely hard to manage in his smaller hand. He'd gotten ten lines finished before he decided that he'd had enough.

"I'm not doing this anymore!" He said while throwing the quill down.

Malfoy was sitting on the sofa studying Transfiguration. He put his book down to look over at Harry.

"It makes no difference to me. You can go stand in the corner until you want to do them." Malfoy said indifferently.

"No I won't!"

Harry fled to his bedroom and frantically looked for a place to hide. He dove under the bed thinking Malfoy wouldn't stoop to looking there.

He heard footsteps and a sigh coming from the doorway.

"Look Potter I'm just doing what I'm told. Come out and keep at those lines so we both stay out of trouble." Malfoy said with somewhat of a whine.

Harry kept quiet. Maybe he'd give up and go away.

Grey eyes peeked at him from his exit.

"Let's go Potter. Don't make me drag you out from under there. You'll regret it."

Harry didn't doubt that but refused based on principle. This was his enemy after all.

"Fine have it your way." Malfoy said as he reached his long arm in to drag Harry out.

Harry tried to fight him off but failed due to his smaller body.

Malfoy dragged him into the sitting room and stuck him in what Harry was coming to think of as ‘His corner.'

"Just so you don't get any funny ideas Potter." Malfoy said as he waved a sticking charm over Harry.

He was stuck, literally to the wall. It was just his midsection though so it wasn't that bad but it didn't keep Harry from voicing his displeasure.

"Let me out of this. I don't like this. I'm gonna tell on you. Let me go!" Harry screamed while kicking at the wall.

"Shut up Potter. I can't study with you yelling. Just stand there like a good little boy and I'll let you get back to your lines."

"No let me out!" Harry yelled. To his surprise tears began to leak from his eyes.

He continued to kick and scream while Malfoy just ignored him. Then he couldn't scream anymore because the prat cast a silencing spell on him.

Well that didn't mean he had to stop his visual displeasure. He continued attacking at the wall when...

"What is going on here!" Snape demanded from the doorway.

"He was disobedient!" Malfoy shouted while pointing at Harry.

"I did not give you permission to stick him to the wall." Snape said as he walked over and waved a finite over Harry.

Harry collapsed from the wall and crumpled into a ball to hide his tears. Snape came over and picked him up. He carried him over to his favorite chair and sat Harry in his lap rubbing soothing circles on his back.

"There now Potter we'll settle this. Now Draco explain what happened from the time that I left you. Know that I will know if you are lying." Snape said.

"Well he didn't want to come with me at first. After an argument we finally got down here. Then I had him start his lines. He didn't want to do that either and I had to chase him from his rooms and stick him in the corner. He would have run again had I not permanently stuck him there. Then he started screeching so I cast a Silencio to shut him up. That is when you arrived Sir." Draco finished.

"Very well Draco you may leave. I will be calling on you from time to time to care for Mr. Potter. It would behoove you to treat each other with respect or at the very least be cordial to each other." Snape said to the both of them.

"May I leave sir? I do have o.w.l.s to study for." Malfoy asked.

"Yes, you may come by in the evenings if you have any questions about your study material. Just notify me first."

"Thank you sir." Malfoy said while standing and gathering his things.

He turned before he got to the door.

"Bye Potter. Try not to get put in the corner again." Malfoy said while slipping out the door.

No chance for Harry to remark to that. So he stuck his tongue out at him even though he wouldn't have seen it.

"That is very rude Potter stick that back in your mouth." Snape said.

Harry did so but opened his mouth to speak. Snape beat him to it.

"Now tell me you version of events."

Harry told him everything. He even told him about Malfoy petrifying him. He didn't however tell him about him throwing a tantrum. He just told him that he'd wanted to stop and Malfoy wouldn't let him, which was somewhat true.

"Why didn't you keep at your lines?" Snape asked.

"My hand hurt and the quill is too big." Harry complained.

 "Maybe if you behave tomorrow I'll reduce your punishment. How does that sound?" Snape asked.

Is this a trick? Who is this man and what has he done with Snape?

"I'll be good." Harry told him.

"We'll see." Snape said.

Snape had been rubbing circles on his back. He'd moved to ruffle Harry's hair at his last statement. Harry winced when he rubbed the bump from his fall.

 "I take it that this bump is from when you were petrified?" Snape asked.

"Yes sir."

Snape dug in his robes to pull out a small bottle.

"Here drink this. It will bring the swelling down and should ease the pain."

Harry drank it and his head felt immensely better.

"Thank you."

"It seems that Mr. Malfoy will need to spend some time in the corner himself don't you think Harry?"

Snape had said his first name. Harry felt a warm feeling for it. Maybe Snape cared just a little bit after all?

"Yes sir he should. Maybe he should be stuck there like me too." Harry tried to advise him.

"Rightly so. Let's just tell him later after his potions class today." Snape said.

Harry grinned up at the man. What sweet justice. This was probably a first. The Prince of Slytherin would finally be getting some just desserts.

"By the by Potter the Headmaster has set up something of a surprise for you." Snape said.

"Really? What kind of surprise?" Harry asked excited.

"If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise would it?"

"I guess not." Harry pouted.

"Well you'll find out after lunch which we are certainly almost late for." Snape said while handing over Harry's collar.

He slipped it over his head and Snape carried him through the halls to lunch.

He believed me and Malfoy's gonna be in trouble!. This has been a pretty good day so far in my books.  Harry thought happily.

 

 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry for taking so long to update. I hope people out there still like this story. I edited the first three chapters so hopefully they're not such a mess anymore. Enjoy!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1713