Like My Father by Quipped to Death
Summary: Harry wants more than anything to be more like his father. In an attempt to change himself something goes wrong and he ends up in the care of his hated Potions Master. Can they form the bond Harry has longed for his whole life?
This story is AU and will not be following canon.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Creature!fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 34536 Read: 59576 Published: 17 Nov 2008 Updated: 09 Feb 2009
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: JKR owns Harry Potter and I do not.

1. First Transformation by Quipped to Death

2. To the Infirmary by Quipped to Death

3. Waking Up by Quipped to Death

4. A Proposition & A Rescue by Quipped to Death

5. The Rules by Quipped to Death

6. Problems in Class by Quipped to Death

7. The Discussion by Quipped to Death

8. Corner Time by Quipped to Death

First Transformation by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Edited

"Okay...at the stroke of midnight we all drink the potion while it's still foaming got it?"

Hermione must have asked that question dozens of times since they had entered the abandoned girls' water closet earlier this evening.

"We've got it ‘Mione, just give us a break already, we're nervous as it is. The pain that comes with the transformation alone is making me sick to my stomach just thinking about it." Ron complained.

Sitting on the cold stone floor was not helping the anxiety strain on their nerves. Even with the heat emanating from the conjured fire below the cauldron gave them no warmth.

"Everything must go accordingly to plan Ronald or terrible things could happen. You did read the third section of page 308; concerning the mistreatment and misjudgment of Wizards who did this spell and potion incorrectly didn't you?"

Ron started to squirm. "Well you see...me and Harry here were so busy studying for our exams that we just kinda skimmed over most of it. You know... to keep up with our studies and what not."

Hermione took a deep breath before the steam started pouring out of her every pore. "You two didn't read page 308?" she screeched.

Luckily they had placed a silencing charm on the door beforehand. Hermione was getting right up there with Mrs. Weasley's level of loud.

"I told you both explicitly to read that page. What will I do when you're both rolling on the floor with who knows what kind of mutation?"

Harry decided to fill Hermione in on what exactly he'd been doing all summer to curb her rant. Not including the chores and answering every beck and call of his relatives. As well as not mentioning the punishments he'd endured for not doing them up to the Dursley standard. Really everything he did was wrong in their eyes.

"Mione, I read the whole book back to front till pages fell out and I gave Ron the overview with quidditch analogies and everything so he'd understand."

"Hey I'm right here!"

"Sorry mate, but you really don't get around to doing something unless it involves your favorite interests."

"Alright I guess you got me there, but I swear Mione I've been practicing the wand movements three times daily. All Harry had to tell me about was that one bloke who turned out half man and half pig for the rest of his life to get me serious about this."

"Well, I suppose as long as you know the gravity of the situation, but I really wish we had more time to practice. I can't be entirely sure this potion is the correct shade of aquamarine. The text was in Latin you know, what if I translated it wrong? I know I warded it but what if something slipped into it after all this time throughout the summer? It needed exactly three months to sit. I...we ...maybe we shouldn't do this after all?"

Ron looked ready to cave in and quit as well. Harry needed to quickly convince Hermione that he at least needed to continue as planned. He'd really studied about this all summer using the translation charm of course. Everything looked to be going smoothly potion wise.

"Hey, I don't want you guys to do this if you don't want to. I've been thinking about this a long time, a lot longer than we've been talking about it anyways. Hermione, I need to go through with this. I need this so I can...I just need this okay?" 

"I don't know Harry, maybe we can try again after the winter holidays so I can do some more research in the restricted section."

"She's right mate, we really should do some more research maybe put a painkilling ingredient in there so it's not so painful?"

"Ronald, have you ever listened in potions? You must follow directions to the letter without deviations unless you want a limb blown off or worse, death of all those around you. We will not add any more ingredients unless called for."

"Alright don't get your knickers in a twist I was just dreaming I guess."

"Do that in class and not when we're putting our lives in danger" she ended.

Ron looked bout ready to blow some steam of his own. It was up to Harry to push things forward and dodge a pending fight.

"Alright guys we're down to 1 minute and 30 seconds. I'm going to do this with or without you."

"Harry mate, I know I thought this was cool and all when we first set out but I'm not sure I want to be like the marauders in this sense."

"That's fine Ron just back me up if something goes wrong."

"Course, that's what friends are for after all." Ron said while slapping Harry on the shoulder.

Hermione looked like she needed to try and dissuade him one last time.

"Harry please don't do this now. If you would give me just a little bit more time to analyze every possible...

Harry just stared at her. What could he say to convince her to let him do this?

"I can't wait for that Mione", he interrupted her. "I need to do this now for hundreds of reasons that I promise to justify tomorrow. Just let me do this, for me. Please?"

She couldn't resist with the look of utter longing on his somber face.

"I'll never forgive myself if something goes wrong."

"Don't worry; everyone says you're the brightest witch of our age Mione. I know you worked yourself into hysterics getting this right. Give yourself more credit o.k.?"

"Okay Harry just show me the wand movement one more time, and remember the inflection on the third syllable of the second word is ah and not eh."

"Yes Mum," he replied.

With convincing out of the way and wand movement shown Harry looked down at his watch. It was time.

"All right then bottoms up" Harry said after he said the incantation.

Hermione and Ron watched with trepidation as their other best friend drank, at the stroke of midnight, what would essentially change his life forever. Hopefully he would find what he was looking for if this was successful.

Potion downed at an alarming rate, considering the taste, Harry began to feel the change almost instantly.

Nothing had prepared him for the pain that was coursing through his body.

He was melting. That's the only way to describe the horrific spasms wracking his body. His heart beat was racing and felt as though it would either fly out his chest or stop any moment.

He, who had suffered the cruciatus curse, had multiple beatings by his walrus of an Uncle and attacks on his mind by a crazed monster. Nothing compared to this new feeling of organs shrinking and bones rearranging.

He heard murmurs of people shouting his name but was soon lost to the deepening spiral of pain. The floor graciously came up to meet him as he gave into its cold embrace in his new smaller form.

All was quiet, and for the first time in a long time Harry was blissfully oblivious to the universe. For now.

Down the corridor a certain Potions Master was patrolling for students out of bed. Little did he know that his life would also change this night.

To be continued...
End Notes:
My first stab in this genre.
To the Infirmary by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
A long night in the infirmary. Italicized words are thoughts.

The moon was high in the sky and the light was trickling down through the overcast skies into the school directly below.

One man was up and lurking about as the students would say.

It was Severus' turn to patrol this unused part of the school from 12 am to 3 am. All of the professors took three hour shifts roaming random halls on Saturday evenings.

"It is crucial to make a united stand against trouble makers early on in the school year," Minerva had stated in their first staff meeting.

Normally Severus was well able to handle a few hours of missed sleep but seeing as this was the first week of school he wasn't feeling quite up to task.

Along with preparing for his lessons he was also doing his other job.

Spying for the Order of the Phoenix was starting to take its toll. His Dark Master was getting anxious and was recently taking it out on his followers. Severus generally had immunity to the torture that came after a crazed rant because he was one of the favored, but lately his lord wasn't biased when it came to dolling out pain.

Last weeks meeting had gone as such. Returning to Hogwarts to make his report had taken real effort. The Dark lord had held him under a crucio for minutes at a time it had seemed.

When he had finished with every last Death Eater he stated "Let that be a lesson to you all. Get me what I want in a timely manner and we won't have to go through these tedious exercises."

What he wanted was Potter's head on a plate. Really he wanted the brat brought to him alive so he could do the honors.

Before he left the meeting the Dark lord took him aside and told him that his confidence in his potions making skills were high as always but if he didn't bring him some news on the boy soon he could expect painful lessons from here on out.

At the memory Severus wanted to shudder but due to his double life bodily reactions had long ago been tamed to be nonexistent even when he was alone.

Albus was working on information he could feed the monster but for now he would just have to brew stronger pain relievers.

If he caught anyone up this night he would let them taste his full fury.

Suddenly a charmed cream colored paper plane flew past Severus' ear and did an 180 degree turn to stop abruptly in front of his face. It wasn't a howler but it formed a mouth all the same.

In the voice of Albus Dumbledore it calmly stated, "Severus, I have a strong feeling there are students out of bed and may be in your area. Be on the lookout."

The paper then ripped itself up and blew away.

Excellent, I hope its Potter and his band. They need to be taken down a peg early on. Let's just test a theory here.

"Point me Harry Potter," he spelled.

 The wand rotated a few times till it stopped to point North. Following directions this way had him standing in front of a girl's lavatory several minutes later. 

There was obviously a silencing and notice me not charms placed just outside but no alarms to warn that there was an intruder outside.

 Imbecilic Children, he thought. His Slytherins would have known to watch their backs.

Typical Potter and his groupies thinking they could do whatever they wanted. In the first week no less. Potter was his father to the letter. Disobeying rules was his forte. But no one would discipline the boy. Being the favored of his Head of House not to mention the Headmaster certainly had its drawbacks when punishing the boy.

Well not tonight. He would give the boy what for. Now to word a scathing lecture meant for those who were stupid enough to cross his path this night.   

Well, well Potter, what do you think your doing out of bed at this time of night? No, it's got to be more menacing. I'll just sneak up on them. That'll give them racing palpitations.

Dismantling the wards was child's play for a wizard of Severus' strength. Someone really ought to teach these children stronger spells. Why Albus would not hire a quality Defense teacher is beyond me. This boy will die unless he learns better. Then where will the wizarding world stand? There'll be no hope, that's where. We're all better off dead.

Pushing aside his morbid thoughts Severus opened the door to an odd scene.

There was a cauldron in the middle of the floor. Off to the side of that were Granger and Weasley huddled together over something. Potter was nowhere in sight.

Weasley warbled a pitiful cry and said, "Mione, we have to get him to Madame Pomfrey. She'll know what to do right?"

Granger was beet red and a bit out of breath. She seemed to be bent over something. It was hard to tell with their backs to him.

She replied, "Ron I need to keep giving him these breaths.  His breathing sounds really raspy and I'm afraid something is blocking his airways."

"I know I'll go and get Madame Pomfrey and bring her here."

Weasley jumped up and turned around so quickly Severus didn't have time to take a step back. The boy had nearly run him over in his haste.

"Prof...Prof...Professor. What are you doing here?" the boy stuttered.

"Articulate as usual Mr. Weasley. Fifty points each shall be deducted from the three of you and may I say well done for putting my house ahead in the counters so early in the year. You three will also serve a detention. Now where is Potter?" 

"Professor," the know it all screeched. "This is Harry here and he's stopped breathing. Please help him!"

"What?"

She picked a small bundle of black fur from the floor and crossed the space of a meter to meet me in a heartbeat.

"This is Harry, quickly Professor we've done something wrong."

The girl began to break down into hysterics.

"Desist with that noise this minute and hand me that thing."

As she handed the furry bundle to him he could tell without running a diagnostic that it was terribly ill.

"Anapneo," Severus chanted.

His airways opened and he coughed and took a shuddered breath. With that out of the way Severus his wand in intricate patterns the length of the animal's body which currently appeared to be about 20 inches long. He was running a high fever and began to shake. He needed to get him to the infirmary fast. Severus' expertise in animal healing was limited.

He quickly chanted a stasis and sealing spell over the cauldron and quickly began to leave the room.

"Come with me," the Potions Master said as menacingly as possible. If this really was Potter the two of them would have followed him into Hades.

As they left he warded the room to open to no one save himself.

They unlikely group quickly strode down the corridor towards their destination. The brats had to follow at a slight jog. Severus' long legs were the only thing he thanked his father for.

The pup in Severus' arms began to yip. Yes, that's what it was some sort of dog. It was just like Potter to change himself into some ridiculous mutt. Just like his fool of a Godfather.

This boy will be the end of me. Albus will kill me if I don't save this idiotic child.

Severus quickened his pace when the dog started to show some signs of distress. His breathing was becoming irregular again.

After a good five minutes of brisk walking they reached the Infirmary. Granger and Weasley had run ahead and opened the doors for our entry. With all the noise they had disturbed Poppy from her office.

"What is the meaning of this," the frazzled nurse demanded.

Upon seeing Severus she changed into healer mode.

"Oh, Severus what is the situation?"

"Potter has attempted to turn himself into an animagus. By assumption of the scene in which I'd found them these three were trying to obtain their animal counterparts via potion."

"No," she gasped.

Good, she knows the danger of trying to bring your form on this way. Chances are it could be permanent. Just what we need, a dog that lived. If he lives through the night that is.

"Yes, I found Miss Granger here giving Potter breaths to sustain his airways. Something has gone horribly wrong and I may need to brew a restorative with his form and measurements in mind."

Severus handed Potter over to Poppy so she could begin stabilizing him then proceeded to walk over to the floo to alert the Headmaster and Minerva.

Throwing a dash of powder in Severus stated the locations needed. Having reached the required people and told them of the emergency he returned to Poppy's side to assist her.

Albus and Minerva arrived within moments of the other and were asking to be apprised of the situation.

 Granger and Weasley were huddled together on a nearby bed and began to tell them the details of the incident.

Dumbledore wandered over ignoring the commentary. Something tells me he already knew what had happened to the boy.

"Poppy how is he?"

"He's developed pneumonia in his lungs and he has an irregular heartbeat. I've given him a mild inflammatory potion and I'll have to monitor his heart rate through the night. Severus I believe he could use that restorative."

Severus gave her a nod.

"He'll be okay won't he Madame Pomfrey?" Granger asked.

"I'm not entirely sure. He's somewhat stable now but only time will tell if complications will arise. I'm sure you've read of how dangerous it is to become an animagus the hard way. You've gone and thrown all kinds of variables in by adding a potion into the mix."

Minerva put her two pence in.

"What could you have been thinking? This is the most foolish thing any of my students have ever done. Look who I'm talking to! You three do foolish things all the time. Miss Granger you're supposed to be a good influence on the boys!"

Granger promptly burst into tears.

"Now, now Minerva children will be children. I remember a certain group not too long ago pulled similar stunts. I'm sure everything will be fine. Children I believe it is well past your bedtime. I'm sure Minerva will be glad to return you to your dorm."

"Professor, please let us stay with Harry!" they nearly shouted in unison.

"No, no we can't have you in Madame Pomfrey's way. She may let you visit in the morning?"

A nod from the matron helped them to visibly relax though it was obvious to all they would get no sleep this night.   

"Alright," they agreed.

Minerva escorted them out continuing her lecture in scathing tones.

"Of all my years as an educator never in my life have I ever..." and so forth down the hall.

"Headmaster I will be brewing that restorative now unless you need me for anything else?"

"No, no I'll be here waiting with Harry."

He conjured a tacky chintz chair and pulled it alongside Potter's bed.  

"I should return shortly."

"Severus, we can't lose him."

Not knowing what to say Severus turned and left.

Severus headed towards his lab and took a short cut through a nearby hidden door. Doing the calculations in his head he'd figured the correct measurements for an animal of Potter's size.

Reaching his lab he checked one quick reference to make sure giving this to animals would work and took to brewing in short order. Luckily the potion took only an hour and he was through the infirmary doors for the second time this night a short time later upon finishing.

Severus administered the potion and left it up to the magic.

"It should take." Poppy said. "His fever has gone down, now he just needs a bit of extra strength to help regulate his heart rate."

After ten minutes of tense waiting, of course not on Severus' part, Potter showed signs of getting much better according to Poppy.

Visibly he looked to be breathing better as well and slipped into a comfortable sleep.

"Have a seat Severus and chat with an old man for a bit," Albus invited though I knew an order when I saw one.

He conjured a replica of his own chair but I changed it to something less ridiculous before sitting.

"You did good work tonight Severus. I'm glad you didn't let past prejudices cloud your judgment."

"I would have done it for any student. Seeing that it was Potter will only give me opportunity to ridicule him to his face for his stupidity."

"Severus he's only a child. Despite his looks and putting aside what he's done tonight he's not his father."

"Nonsense, he's his father reincarnate. I don't think James even died that night. He entered this boy just to live again to torment me."

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead Severus."

That was the only reproach given to him.

"He has Lily in him as well you know."

"Don't speak her name."

The Headmaster gave him a knowing looking and began to stand.

"Well it's been a long night and I believe I could use a few hours sleep. I shall return in the morning. Goodnight Harry my boy sweet dreams."

He petted the small fur ball before leaving Severus sitting there alone with Potter.

Severus took another look at Potter. He appeared to be a dog but at second glance could've been a wolf cub. He had black fur from head to paw save for a triangular patch of white on his chest.

Not like his father indeed. Severus mused. They are copies. He's so much his father. He's foolish, stubborn and headstrong. He doesn't listen. What Potter needs is a strong hand to curb some of those Gryffindor tendencies.

Who is going to do that for him? Certainly not those muggle relatives of his. They probably worshipped the ground he walked on. Lupin couldn't be relied on for obvious reasons and was on some fool of an errand set on by the Headmaster. His mutt of a Godfather was out of the question. That man couldn't even take care of himself.

Who did that leave? He'd have to talk to Albus about it in the morning.

The pup began to whimper in his sleep and unconsciously Severus found his hand rubbing soothing circles up and down the dog's neck and back.

So much like the father, only green eyes from the mother. Green eyes that haunt me. So much lost in a brief moment of stupidity. Everything I loved, my chance for a normal life. A family.

The pup sighed contentedly.

Severus realized what he was doing and recoiled his hand quickly. The brief petting seemed to have soothed the dog.

He ran a hand down his face and muttered, "I must be truly tired. I think I'll go to bed now."

With that he raised himself up and walked out of the infirmary without looking back.

"He must have been tired. He didn't even see me here."

Madame Pomfrey was standing behind and off to the side waiting to check on Harry. What she had seen had shocked her at first but now she was grinning and humming a soft melody.

I knew you weren't so cold on the inside Severus. Now if you could just bring some of that to the outside.

To be continued...
End Notes:
What do you think?
Waking Up by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Some upsetting news for Harry.

Italicized words are generally thoughts.

 

Harry heard murmurs.

There were people around him but he couldn't tell who the voices belonged to. Why couldn't he move? Why did his body feel so strange? Who was going to scratch the crazy itch out from behind his ear? He certainly couldn't lift a hand to do it.

He was tired. He knew he was waking up but every bone in his body protested the slightest movement. Breathing was taking more effort than usual. What had he done to achieve such a high level of weakness? He started to go through a mental list to try and find a reason for his current predicament.

Quidditch hadn't started yet. He hadn't roamed the halls at night too often. In fact he had gone to bed at decent times. Had someone hit him with a curse?

Well he'd just wait till someone currently standing over him would realize that he was waking up and start explaining things. That's what usually happened when he was in the infirmary. He was pretty sure that's where he was.

The infirmary beds always felt just a tad more comfortable here than in his dorm. He assumed there was a spell to make things fluffier all around.

The voices overhead suddenly got very heated on one side, at which point Harry decided to listen in so he could understand what sort of situation he had gotten himself into.

"Why can't I stay longer? He obviously needs me most right now. I won't even be able to tell him how to change back and help him get used to his new form if I leave now."

New form? What does that mean? Harry thought.

"Sirius, be reasonable. Right now I need you back where you came from. You're in more danger here the longer you stay."

That was probably Dumbledore. Sirius was here! Well that was great. Maybe they could hang out before he left this time.

"I'm his Godfather and he needs me. We still don't even know if there's something wrong with him! We don't even know if Harry is still in there or not. I need to be here to know. He's all I have left of them."

I'm in here. I don't think there's anything wrong with me other than this constant ache and sleepiness. I'm not going anywhere.

"Sirius, I give you my word to keep you continually updated on Harry's progress. Madame Pomfrey believes he will be out for most of the day. You can return to see him when we can move him from this area. Despite having wards around this particular bed this is an infirmary and you could be exposed."

Knew I was in the infirmary.

"I'm just worried about him. I don't have anything to do back there but sit and worry," Sirius whinged.

"I could find you something to do Black."A smooth voice called from further off.

Oh great. What is he doing here? Harry could recognize that voice anywhere.

"Shut up Snape! I don't need anything from you thanks. What are you doing here anyways? Come to gloat over another misadventure on my godson's part? Or were you actually here for a reason?" The angry man questioned.

Why did Snape always come in to rile Sirius up?

"For one, I don't need any particular reason to come to the infirmary, mostly because I am on staff at this particular educational facility. Secondly I'm am providing medicinal potions to sustain your precious godson's life. So if you'll kindly get out of my way and let me do my job the brat will be in less pain in minutes."

Well he was only a little uncomfortable. A potion couldn't hurt.

Sirius got up to move out of the way. He knew Snape's potion would help the boy. As he'd watched Harry sleep the boy turned pup looked to be in a bit of pain.

"Just be careful with him Snape," Sirius nearly growled.

"What else would I be? Really Black your logic astounds me every time you speak. I wonder what drivel will pour out of your mouth every utterance."

"Why you inconsiderate prick!" Sirius shouted.

"Gentlemen, if we could put aside our differences for the time being. I do believe Harry is awake and by the looks of it quite ready to take a few of those potions now Severus," Dumbledore intervened.

Jigs up I suppose.

"Potter, get up this instance and take this potion."

"Hey you don't have to be so demanding!"

"Unless you'd rather his energy fade away and he remain in this state forever? That's perfectly fine with me," Snape quipped.

What an arse!

Harry cracked an eye open to discover Dumbledore and Sirius sitting near him. Snape was looming over him with a baby medicine dropper.

Why couldn't he take it from a vial like usual? Wait why did his nose appear to be fuzzy? He opened his mouth to ask said question and out came, "Awoo?"

I think that came from me.

"Did you catch that Black? He's speaking your language," Snape said.

"Well as you can see I'm currently not in my other form. I can't understand otherwise," Sirius stated back.

"It was my understanding that you were a mutt all the time Black."

"Why you rotten no good..."

"Harry," Dumbledore interrupted.

"If you can understand me nod your head."

He did so.

"Good lad. You are currently in the body of a rare Arctic wolf. The rarity being that you are black from head to toe, save for a triangular bit of white fluff on your chest."

What? I feel smaller but I don't ...oh.  That's right, I remember now! We were working on the Animagus potion fusion. It was a success. I'm a wolf? I wanted to be...

"Harry," Dumbledore was calling him.

"We have reason to believe you were working on becoming an Animagus via potion. Is that correct?" Dumbledore asked.

Harry nodded.

"Ms. Granger informed us that you knew of the dangers involved with combining such volatile magic. I think it only fair to warn you that you may not be able to change back to your human form." Dumbledore stated calmly despite the severity.

Merlin's fuzzy socks he can't be serious!

"Professor there's no need to scare him. I could tell him a few things about transformation before you make me leave." Sirius pleaded.

"Not before I administer these." Snape softly clinked two vials together. To Harry it sounded as crash cymbals so close up.

The potions master had been leaning against the wall of the infirmary and now moved forward with the ear dropper.

"Say ah Potter." Snape demanded.

Instead Harry delivered a, "Grrr."

Snape leaned close and whispered, "Now, now, Potter.  If you bite me I'll have to test myself for rabies and then turn you into an ingredient for my potions. Before that I would have to tap your nose with a rolled up newspaper."Snape said silkily into his ear.

Harry took the potion with grumblings aside. He then gave himself a moment to go over the changes in his body. Well he could see without his glasses. That was something new. He hadn't thought to look before but he was pretty sure that was Madame Pomfrey at the other end of the infirmary talking to another patient. He could tell which direction the weave in her skirt went his eyes were so sharp now.

He'd been lying on his side so he rolled a bit to get up. He didn't have very far to go he was so very small. Well it wasn't what he expected but what could he do? Just live with it like he did everything else.

Getting up he took a few steps around on the bed. Walking on four legs was strange and tricky at first but he was getting the hang of it. Sirius tensed to catch him when he came close to the edge. It didn't take very long till Harry was tired and moved to sit on his haunches.

"Tired already Potter? Was it what you expected?" Snape taunted him.

Generally he would have fought back but he really wasn't feeling up to it. Instead he leaned forward and placed his head on his forepaws. Turning his head away from the Potions master and looking towards his godfather he yawned. Thus making him seem indifferent than angry.

Cheeky brat, Severus thought.

Sirius smiled at him.

"We'll get it all figured out Harry don't you worry. You take another little nap here and when you wake up we'll work on changing you back." His godfather promised.

Harry answered with a soft puppy snore.

"Typical, falling asleep when something important is being said," Snape said.

"He's tired, you would be too after his ordeal," Sirius replied.

"That he got himself willingly and knowingly into. This is exactly what I meant to talk to you about Headmaster." The potion's master directed to Dumbledore.

"Another time Severus, possibly later this evening. Sirius you need to be getting back."

"I want to stay. He'll be waking up and he'll need someone he knows teaching him how to change back," Sirius nearly begged.

"Minerva is certainly capable of helping him in that regard. Poppy has informed me that he'll need a good deal of rest. So it may be a few days before he's up and about. "

Sirius wasn't quite convinced.

"When are you going to realize you're not needed Black?" Snape asked nastily.

"Why you son of a ..."

 "Boys!" The Headmasters' voice seemed to make the ground quake. Somehow Harry slumbered on undisturbed.

"You will desist with this petty arguing. I must insist that when you are in the presence of others to conduct yourselves as adults. I can assure you that many are unwilling to tolerate this behavior any longer. If you both were a good deal younger I'd take you over my knee and give you what for. Considering my age and my back I'll let you go with the promise that you both will from now on act civil in the presence of others."

"Headmaster I should be able to comport myself with the highest degree of decorum," Snape replied smoothly.

Sirius sneered at the slimy git.

"I'll try to control myself in front of others," Sirius replied evenly.

"Good, good.  Not only do you do this for yourselves. You may not realize this but the two of you have influence over some special children. You should make more of an effort to be good examples. They're like sponges you know."

With that said the headmaster banished his chair and left the infirmary leaving two seething men behind him.

"Well Black it seems you got the gist of the loop hole in our promise."

"That's right Snivellus. Not in front of others."

"It's a shame you don't consider your own godson an other."

"He's asleep and you know what I mean," Sirius nearly shouted.

Unknown to the men, the matron of the wing was waiting to check on her patient.

"Gentlemen!" Madame Pomfrey interrupted for the sake of an ending an argument.

"I believe it is time for you both to go now. The infirmary is closed to visitors for the lunch hour. Severus if I need anything I'll floo you.

She turned to Sirius.

"I'm having a specialist in Animagi come this afternoon to do a full checkup on Mr. Potter. They should be able to tell if he can transform back or not. I'll send you a full report."

She turned to address them both.

"Now if you'll both kindly vacate the area and follow the orders of the Headmaster from here on out, I won't tattle on the two of you. You are both grown men. For shame!"

They both visibly blanched. The headmaster wasn't as old and there were potions for back pain.  He would think of some horrible punishment for breaking their promise minutes after being made.

Despite the slight uneasiness of what the Headmaster would do if he were to find out Severus said in his cold voice, "Do as you will Madame" and swept from the room robes billowing behind him.

Sirius said, "I'm sorry Madame Pomfrey, I will try though he'll make me fail I'm sure."

"See that you do, good bye for now Sirius."

"Bye," he said as he left through the floo.

The nurse bent over Harry to check his temperature and vitals. Everything was progressing towards better readings. He was far from healthy but he was getting there.

"Ah Harry, what will we do with those two?"

Not expecting an answer she tucked him in with a little blanket surrounding him.

*****

Harry woke later to find Ron and Hermione sitting next to him.

"Hey there mate. It's good to see you awake and breathing," his redheaded friend started.

"Oh Harry, I never should have let you take that potion. I knew it wasn't as stable as it should have been. They told you this could be permanent. We're so sorry. How can you ever forgive us?"

"Yeah, what she said," Ron joined with her.

They looked tired. How long had it been since he'd taken the Animagus potion? It didn't matter he wouldn't let them beat themselves up over this.  This was all on him. He was the one who wanted more than anything to have more in common with his father.  How could he explain to them it wasn't their fault?

He raised himself from the bed and walked over to them. They were just close enough to the bed that their knees were touching the edge. He stopped in front of their joined hands and bent down to butt his forehead into their hands giving them permission to pet him. It was strange but it was the only way to show them that he didn't blame them.

Hermione seemed to catch on first and began to pat his neck. Ron followed by scratching behind his ears.

"You're very cute Harry. Madame Pomfrey told us you are an Arctic Wolf. Have you seen yourself yet?"

He shook his head in the negative.

Here take a look. She held up a medium sized mirror from her book bag.

He took a look at himself. It was as Dumbledore had described and pretty much what he'd deduced from what he could see of himself. What Dumbledore had failed to mention was Harry still had the scar. Though in this form it manifested itself in white fur and was barely visible to the untrained eye.

He couldn't escape that fate in any form.

"Well there's one advantage mate. You'll be a lot more popular with the girls." Ron's attempt to lighten the mood didn't really help too much.

Harry didn't care about that right now. He hadn't really thought much about not being able to change back. Being stuck as a dog would really put a damper on his future plans.

Hermione dragged him from his thoughts.

"It'll be alright Harry. A specialist from St. Mungo's is coming and there will be a way to change you back. I'm sure of it. Now lie down and get some more sleep. They'll be here in another hour or so. We'll visit you after afternoon classes are over okay?"

He gave a yip in response.

He was still tired. Another nap couldn't hurt. He curled into a ball at the head of the bed.

"Good. See you later then."

"Later mate."

How much longer till he could stay awake for a few hours at a time? This was getting boring.

He yawned as sleep took him over again.

*****

Severus was standing in front of the Headmaster's stone gargoyle a few hours later.

"Fizzing Whizbees."

Nothing.

"Chocolate Frogs."

Curse him.

"Lemon Drop?"

That old fool!

The Headmaster had called him up here for who knew what and now he couldn't get in.

Suddenly the gargoyle slid away to admit him.

Severus reached the door after the ride up and began to knock on the door when he was bid to enter.

"Ah Severus just the man I wanted to see. I believe earlier there was something you wanted to converse with me about."

Oh yes, about Potter.

"I'm beginning to believe that Potter is not receiving the correct upbringing. He's too headstrong. He runs into things without thinking things through. He's insolent, rude to professors and cheeky to boot. What the boy needs is a firm hand to guide him," Severus finished.

"Hmmm. Be that as it may, currently he needs the blood wards on his relative's house to protect him throughout the summer holiday as you're well aware of. They are the strongest I could provide for him. By the by, did you have someone in mind to guide the lad?"

"That is not up to me. I just felt I should make my opinion known. He is clearly in need of a better influence. That godfather of his would get him killed in a heartbeat. Lupin is doing work for the order and can barely care for himself. The Weasley's have enough children as it is. No one comes to mind after that."

The cogs in Dumbledore's mind began whirling.

"Well Severus I'll have to keep this conversation in mind should the need arise. I'll think on what you have said. You know I value your opinion very highly."

Severus didn't let himself be fooled. The headmaster took his opinion if it went with his current plans.

 Suddenly the floo came to life and Madame Pomfrey's head came into view.

"Albus, you wanted me to let you know when the healer from St. Mungos' arrived. He's here."

Dumbledore turned to his potions master.

"Severus, if you wouldn't mind, please accompany me down to the infirmary."

"Wouldn't you prefer Minerva?" He asked.

"I'm sending her a message as we speak." With a flick of his wrist the Headmaster sent one of his talking paper messages.

"What do you need me for? I am not his Head of House and quite frankly I could care less if he can no longer change back. Maybe he'll be more obedient in this form."

"Severus, humor an old man?"

He had said the last jokingly but there was a slight edge of steel to his voice which demanded Severus come.

"As you wish sir."

They then proceeded down to the infirmary.

*****

Harry hated being poked and prodded. It was bad enough that he'd been sleeping for ages but now there was a strange looking man running tests over him. He was getting grumpier by the minute. How long was this going to take?

The doors to the infirmary opened to admit Dumbledore and Snape. They were walking towards them at a quick pace.

"How do you do Mr. Rutledge?" Dumbledore asked the healer.

"Just fine sir. I'm nearly done with the tests."

Could have fooled me, Harry thought.

"Good, good, we'll be waiting over here," he indicated pointing over toward Madame Pomfrey.

The professors created chairs and sat. Harry felt like he was being observed beneath a telescope.

Please, please, let me be able to change back.

"And done," the healer stated.

"The results are as follows: he's a 22 inch Arctic Wolf, approximately three and a half months in this form, appears to be  just now getting over pneumonia and his lungs will continue to be week for the next month or so. Also he seems a bit underweight but that could be from the strain of the first transformation, it's always tough," the healer finished.

"Yes, we knew all of that." You fool, went unsaid by the potions master.

 "What we want to know is whether or not he can change back or not."

"Yes well, because of the way he went about changing there could be complications. However, there is a potion that will bring about his original form. If you'll just give me a moment to retrieve it from my bag?" The healer asked politely.

"Certainly," the headmaster said.

"Accio Animagus revelation potion," the healer intoned as he waved his wand.

The potion rose from his bag that was in reaching distance and smacked into his waiting hand.

"Harry if you will take this potion."

Harry went to open his mouth.

"Just a moment if you please?" Severus interrupted.

"Please allow me to inspect that vial."

"If you must. All of the potions at St. Mungo's are top grade made by professionals. You've nothing to worry about."

"Severus is a potions' master Mr. Rutledge. He prides himself in being very thorough," the headmaster informed him.

After the healer handed the vial to him, Severus took an even smaller vial from a fold hidden in his robes. He uncorked it and placed one drop into the revelation potion. It turned green.

"It is satisfactory," he stated.

"Well I should think so. I took an oath you know to do no harm," the healer sounded offended.

"I meant no offense. In case you didn't know this is the Boy who Lived. We must take all precautions concerning his care."

That's odd, I'm sure he doesn't care about me.

"I treat all my patients with equal and the utmost care."

"I'm sure you do."

"If you don't mind we can get this boy changed back now," the healer said.

"Go right ahead. Though I certainly did enjoy this Potter's silence." The potions master handed the healer the vial.

"This will only work this one time to help your system understand that it can change back and forth. It may be uncomfortable but not nearly as much as your first experience," the healer spoke to Harry.

"Down the hatch lad."

Harry swallowed what was put in his mouth. Of course it was awful as usual.

Nothing happened. Would he really be stuck as a wolf for the rest of his life? Well, did this mean Voldemort wouldn't come looking for him anymore?

Then it happened. He started to grow. It was a tad uncomfortable at first but then before he knew it, it was over. There was just one problem. He was still very small and for the first time in a long time felt the urge to give into crying. So that's what he did.

"Well there you go. He's changed back," the healer said.

"You are aware that Harry Potter is a 15 year old child and not a 5 year old?" Snape demanded to know.

"Well I told you there might be complications!"

Harry became more upset as the voices rose. Merlin what was wrong with him. He just couldn't seem to stop.

"Potter stop that incessant blubbering!"Snape shouted at him.

"Now, now, Severus we'll figure this out. Harry calm down my boy. You're alright. Would you like a piece of candy?" Dumbledore coddled.

"Perhaps we could give him an aging potion? I have one in my stores. I could fetch it." Snape queried.

"No, I don't think that is a good idea. From my readings this could be quite permanent. He's system is much the same from his other form. He'll need to continue his previous treatment." the healer stated.

"Oh dear," Dumbledore said.

For once the headmaster didn't seem to have all the answers. That never stopped him from planning though.

"Severus sit here with the boy while I do some thinking in my office. I shall return."

With that the elderly wizard left the room leaving three very confused occupants behind.

"Well I'll say good day. I shall come do another checkup in a week or so. I've been informed you have a teacher who will help you in your transformations Harry. Best of luck to you. Tootles!"'

Then the healer gathered his equipment and left through the floo.

"I'll fetch a calming draught," Madame Pomfrey said and she left.

It was just Harry and Snape.

Weary and confused Harry began to tear up again.

"Calm down Potter I'm sure we'll come up with something," the usually hardened professor said. Anything to shut the child up, Severus thought. The sobbing was pulling at his gut and making him feel uncomfortable.

Without knowing why Harry suddenly launched himself at the potions master attaching himself around his teachers' middle and sitting upon his lap. Still crying.

"Potter," the startled potions master bellowed.

That didn't deter Harry. He continued to seek solace in the man's dark robes.

Severus looked around and leaned back into his chair.

"It will be alright boy. Something will turn up I'm sure. There now calm down, there's no need for these hysterics." He was rubbing small circles on the child's back.

Harry went boneless in his arms.

If he tells anyone of this I'll obliviate him and call him a liar. Besides, no one would believe him anyway, Severus thought.

 Severus then laid the small child on the bed and pulled the sheet up to his neck.

"So much volume from such a small package," Severus said while rubbing his head. "I think I'll go and grade some Hufflepuff essays. Correcting them always makes me feel better, maybe more so than grading Gryffindor essays."

As the potion master exited the infirmary he again failed to see the matron of the wing standing in the doorway of her office.

Little by little Severus. Little by little. I think I need to have a word with Albus, she thought.

A plan was forming in the matron's mind. One that the Headmaster would probably have underway already, knowing him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Don't worry. They'll leave the infirmary soon. I just need to develop the story a bit more from here.
A Proposition & A Rescue by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Italicized thoughts are generally in 1st person.

"Albus, may I have a word with you?" Poppy asked of her employer and long time friend.

"Certainly my dear, please come through." He indicated the floo which currently held the nurse's head.

She took a moment to clamber through and into the headmaster's office.

"Would you care for some tea Madame or maybe a Lemon Drop?" he asked her.

"No thank you. I would however like to run an idea by you. It concerns Severus and Mr. Potter," she stated as she sat in front of his desk.

"And what idea would that be?" he asked.

"Very soon Mr. Potter will be well enough to leave the infirmary. I believe from that point on he should stay with Severus."

"Why do you think that would be a good idea? Severus on numerous occasions has let it be known that he dislikes the boy. Quite frankly he degrades the child at every given opportunity."

The headmaster knew that wasn't all true from his own observations but he liked to hear others defend Severus.

The lady frowned in thought before replying.

"I have reason to believe that having Mr. Potter underfoot would do Severus a world of good.  I have observed them when it is only the two of them. He comforted the child just last night. I think an arrangement between the two would be a balm for their souls."

"Well you are the healer. This is what you recommend for what ails them?"

"Yes it is." She nodded her head fervently.

The headmaster had been twirling this idea around in his mind for most of the night considering the boy's new predicament. Severus was the only likely option for the child at this point protection wise.

 "If I should allow this to occur, Minerva will be very upset. What is more, she has lost her star seeker. Let's keep this between you and I for now, hmm?"

"Of course." she replied.

"Now what is the report on Mr. Potter?" he asked.

"He is progressing well. He awoke early this morning and had a bit of porridge and pumpkin juice before falling back to sleep. I then ran diagnostics while he slept to save him some discomfort. His weight is a bit under for a five year old but nothing a little food won't cure in a matter of weeks. His lungs are clearing up nicely thanks to Severus' ingenious potions. He'll be right as rain in a couple of days. Though being de-aged is stressful so he may need some relaxers."

She paused before delivering the next bit.

"Also from my observations he seems to be a bit sensitive in his smaller body. A few more tests will tell but I believe he will have difficulty understanding his thoughts and feelings in this smaller mind and body. In short, the thoughts of a teenager cannot be understood by a five year old."

"Well, we can ask him if he's having difficulty and we'll just have to work one step at a time from there." Dumbledore sighed.

"Why must all these things happen to the boy Albus? Every year it's something new and more horrific."

"I regret such things happen but he's a special boy Poppy. No person can choose their own destiny. They can merely fight to survive it." He replied.

"Well I just wish there was more we could do for him. He's already had such a miserable first childhood. I only know because every year he comes to school underweight and covered with new bruises. I've even questioned his friends but they never know what I'm hinting at. He's such a quiet and reserved child. I couldn't stand the thought of him going through a second miserable childhood." She finished pulling out a handkerchief to dab at her eyes.

"I know what you mean Poppy. We'll all do our best by him, and if I have anything to say about it someone else will get a second chance as well."

The nurse smiled at him. "It will work, you will see."

He nodded and winked at her. "Was there anything else?" he asked.

"Yes, you've missed taking your weekly dose of pain reliever for your back," she stated.

"Have I?"

The headmaster knew full well he had. That particular potion tasted like tar. What was a little pain verses that taste in his mouth for the entirety of the week?

"Yes, and from what I understand you may need it for two certain gentlemen."

"You heard that conversation did you? Well in that case I shall be down in an hour or so to take it." He tried to sidestep her.

"It just so happens I brought it with me to save you the trouble." She replied smoothly with a grim smile while pulling out the hated potion.

"How kind of you." Too kind, he thought.

He took the vial from her hand and swallowed it in one gulp.

"I appreciate your concern Poppy."

He truly did but right now he wanted nothing more than for her to leave so that he could scourgify his mouth several times.

"I shall return to my post and my patient now. He should be waking soon. He'll soon be able to stay awake for normal lengths of time."

Albus nodded and the matron left. He then cast a very powerful scourgify that barely helped eradicate the horrible taste left in his mouth. Lemon Drops seemed to be the only thing that negated it enough so that he could taste other foods. There would always be a strange after taste despite them though.  

Yes I do believe Harry will have to stay with Severus. Now to convince them, Albus thought.

Though the headmaster wouldn't have to convince them. He was the headmaster after all and his word was practically wizard law.

They'll thank me someday. Till then I'll just have to put up with complaints.

The headmaster then left his office in the direction of the dungeons. He had a certain potions master he needed to speak with.

*****

Severus was sitting at his desk in his office when someone triggered the ward outside of his door. That was immediately followed by knocking.

He was currently working on his lesson plans for the morrow and didn't want to be disturbed. Severus had hoped the imbecile would realize he wasn't in but the knocking persisted.

This person could only be a couple of people. He had a reputation that emitted meanness and anyone fool enough to persist on knocking on his door would know they were courting a fate worse than death.

It couldn't be Draco, his godson. He was a Slytherin deep to his core and had self preservation instincts. He would have realized that now was not a good time.

That left only Minerva or Albus. Who from time to time despite his age would still treat him as a child. That galled him to no end, so he took his time in answering his door.

He looked to the frame above the door which wrote in fine calligraphy the persons standing immediately outside. Sure enough it read the headmasters' full name and title.

He will have nothing good to tell me. Whenever he needs a favor he always seeks me out in my own territory to give me a false since of security. Well I'm on my guard old man, he thought.

"Come in Headmaster. What brings you to the bowels of the school this afternoon?"

Severus indicated that they sit.

"Why I was wondering if you would have time for a quick chat?"

"Of course, I'll just put my lesson plans off till a bit later," he said a bit sarcastically.

"If you are busy I could come by later."

Ah hah. He's setting me up, Severus thought. What can he be up to?

"No, I didn't have much left to do before the evening meal. What is it that you wish to speak to me about?"

Lets get this over with. I have a feeling this is not going to be pleasant. What am I thinking? It can't be any worse than spying on the darkest lord of the century.

"First what is your report on the boy's potion? Is there anyway to reverse the effects?"

"No, there are too many unknown factors involved in the making. It could have been incorrect enunciation of the spell, a wrong flick of the wrist, tainted potion ingredients, the list is numerous. That's the consequence of fusing potion and spell."

"In that case I have a proposition for you my boy. An opportunity of mass proportions. In it you will be able to influence one of the most important persons of our time. In my thinking you are the only one fit for the job. Can I count on you to do it?"

There was a glint in the headmaster's eye. Something horrible was about to befall him.

"What is the proposition Headmaster?"

"I need for you to take up temporary guardianship of one Harry Potter."

It is worse much worse, he thought.

Severus didn't answer him right away. He was staring straight at the man. Many years as a spy had trained his facial features into a grim line of perpetual stoicism. Currently if he were a person with normal reactions his mouth would be agape and he would be uttering inane utterances.

 The silence continued on until the headmaster had deemed adequate time given to absorb the shock of such a request.

"Severus, what say you?"

"Minerva," he simply stated.

"I haven't run it by her yet, but currently you are the next strongest wizard in the castle. You are also a trained spy and will know how to look out for dangerous situations that are bound to arise. The child is a magnet for danger."

"As I have said before, by his own doing. He leaps into things without thinking."

"Which is why I thought of you above all others. You understand the need to keep him grounded. You will be given full rights as guardian. I will not gainsay you in discipline should the need arise."

Which it will, I'm sure.

"There will be rooms added on to your living quarters in an hour or so. The house elves will be made aware that Mr. Potter will now be residing in your residence."

This is a nightmare.

"I have no choice in the matter?" Severus hoped.

"I have asked you out of the courtesy of our relationship, but as the leader of the light I must implore you to do this for our cause."

Conniving old fool! This cannot end well. We will kill each other within the week.

"You will not gainsay me on discipline?"

"As long as you are not unduly harsh with the child."

"I would never beat a child if that is what you mean."

"I meant mentally Severus. You may not know this but you and Harry have a lot in common."

"That sir, is an insult."

"You will see. Try a little compassion Severus. It will do you both a world of good."

"If that is all Headmaster, I need time to adjust to this new arrangement."

"Certainly, you will be able to bring Harry to your quarters after breakfast tomorrow."

A nod was all he gave the man to dismiss him.

"And Severus? This is your chance. Use it wisely."

What could he mean by that?

"I shall see you at supper."

With that said the headmaster left but he did not see the potions master at supper.

Severus sat there for a long time till he realized he had lessons to plan and essays to mark.

When he had finished that he cast a Tempus to check the time. It was time to make rounds before bed. Luckily he had the early shift.

He found himself thinking of his current situation as he left his office.

This will be difficult but at least Potter will finally have some self control instilled into him. Even if it means my demise.

*****

Just before dinner in the infirmary, Harry Potter was waiting out an awkward moment between himself and his friends.

He was currently in his five year old body and made acutely aware of the fact by a gushing Hermione.

"Why can't Ginny or Neville come visit me?" The now grumpy child demanded.

"Because Harry, the Headmaster wants your predicament kept top secret for as long as possible," Hermione replied.

"Why doesn't he ever tell me these things himself? Why'd he tell you guys? I'm a big boy!" he nearly screamed.

"Hey mate calm down! You're getting all excited. The Headmaster only just told us today just before we came to visit you. It's for your safety. You know a lot of Deatheater's children go here. They'd tell their good for nuthin parents ‘bout this in a second and you'd be in loads of danger." Ron tried to soothe.

"That's right Harry we're only trying to protect you. Especially now that you're temporarily smaller."Hermione added.

"Oh didn't they tell you?" he asked moodily.

"What?"His friends asked in unison.

"What's happened to me is possibly permanent. I will be this way till I grow out of it for the second time."

"Oh Harry, we'll go to the library straight away."

Ron looked a bit green but nodded his agreement.

Harry was starting to get upset. His friends just couldn't understand the monumental mistake he had made. They were great friends and he loved them to death but right now he just wanted to be alone or maybe he needed a shoulder to cry on.

Didn't I cry on someone before? Well, it must've been Sirius. He refused to think it was anyone else.

"Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Hey if you guys don't mind I think I'm going to take another nap?" He tried to give them a hint.

"All right mate, tomorrow's Saturday so we'll come visit you. Do you think they'll let you come back to the dorm?" The red head queried.

"Ronald, were you listening to a word I said?"

"Most of them."

"Harry's condition must be kept a secret."

"Gryffindors would never give up another!" He shouted indignantly.

"Of course not but others who see him along the way might!" she replied heatedly back.

"So we'll get his invisibility cloak and get him up there and none's the wiser."

"Listen guys..." Harry started.

"That's just stupid, anything could happen and then he'd be in danger!"Hermione argued.

"Well excuse me for wanting to help my friend out!" Ron spat back.

"Guys." Harry tried again.

"Yeah help him get killed you mean. What we need to do is help him grow." she raised her voice.

"Why is it always your way?" Ron demanded.

"GUYS!" Harry shouted.

He was standing on his bed and his face was red with exertion.

"I just want to go to sleep. Please shut up and go away!"

"Sorry mate."

"Sorry Harry."

"We'll go now Harry. Do you want us to come back tomorrow?" Hermione asked.

"Only if you guys quit fighting. It makes me upset."  

"We'll try mate. See you tomorrow then." Ron said as he ruffled Harry's hair.

Why do people like to do that to little kids? Harry thought.

"Yes see you tomorrow Harry." Hermione replied restraining herself from hugging him goodbye.

"Bye." He replied.

After they left Harry sat there contemplating life in general and how much it sucked. All this anxiety about his future was making his stomach hurt. Madame Pomfrey had served dinner and now it was lights out which meant bedtime. It wasn't even late. So he decided to do what always made him feel better. Roam the halls.

He waited till Madame Pomfrey made her second round pretending to be asleep. After that she set in for the night and the next time she would check on him would be hours later.

He got up and went to the doors of the infirmary.

Oh crap! How am I going to get out? It's probably warded to notice if I leave!

Fate seemed to smile on him because at that moment two Hufflepuff girls holding another between them were slamming through the doors. Their friend was screaming about a beauty spell gone wrong. She'd wanted a smaller nose but instead she had spelled it off.

They didn't notice a little boy running by them and out to the hall behind.

He took off at a run to take a sharp left down the corridor. He wouldn't be long. He just needed to clear his head so he could sleep better later.

He continued on this way for a half hour when he felt it was time to get back. He was already tired and it hurt a little to breathe.

As he started back it occurred to him that he couldn't remember the way to the infirmary. Things were so much bigger and darker. He was also getting cold wearing just his hospital gown.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Thump.

What was that?!

Screeeech. Thump.

The sound was getting closer. Harry becoming more frightened by the moment did something he didn't realize he would do. He transformed.

In his wolf form the sound was much more terrifying and it was coming closer.

THUMP. Screeeech. THUMP.

He did the only thing he could think of. He dove into the nearby cupboard. The force of which entered caused the door to close behind him.

Normally Harry would have faced whatever was out there but right now his five year old body was not as brave as he usually was.

He was scared and he wanted someone to save him. That was foolish thinking though. Who would save him? A freakish boy with new troubles. No one would save him that's who.

As Harry sat in the cupboard trembling he was unaware of Peeves passing by bouncing a ball he had stolen and scraping a stick against the wall.

*****

Severus was walking along the corridors at a slow gait. He was scanning the way for possible rule breakers. They wouldn't get by him, the spy of all spies.

Severus looked up to the sound of flapping paper. It was one of Albus' flying messages. Along with it flew Fawkes, the Headmasters' familiar. Fawkes was carrying a medium sized scroll.

"Ahh Severus, I have a task for you." The Headmaster's voice spoke with the sound of rustled paper.

What more could he ask of me? Severus thought.

"Mr. Potter has gone missing from the infirmary. He can't have gone far. Knowing him I'm willing to bet he lost interest in his surroundings and needed to get a bit of air. If you would locate him and return him to his rightful place, Madame Pomfrey would much appreciate it."

Severus nodded his head in acquiesce. The child could be in danger in his smaller form.

"Good man. Oh and further more as to our agreement earlier I need you to sign this document. It states that you for a time will be Harry's guardian forthwith."

What agreement? You practically forced my hand!

Severus took the parchment and read the contents. He grabbed a quill from within his robes and signed the horrid thing.

Not generally one for showing his displeasure it was odd to hear him sigh while handing it to Fawkes. Luckily, only the bird was there to hear it. The bird disappeared leaving Severus alone with the paper message.

"You'll not regret this so much later Severus. Give it time. I'll be by in the morning to inform Harry of his new living arrangement." The Headmaster said.

That said the missive tore itself up as it had done before.

At least it is only temporary. I could end this at anytime or at least till someone more suitable comes forth.  

Severus turned and made his way towards the direction of the infirmary. When he got closer he heard strange noises in the hallway beyond.

He quickly cast a disillusionment spell on himself and crept forward. The sounds were growing much more distinct.

Thump.Screeech. Thump.

Only one thing could be so bold in its whereabouts.

That damn thing! It's such a nuisance. One of these days I'm going to banish that apparition.

Peeves the poltergeist slowly approached the hiding potions master bouncing a ball and scraping a stick across wall and paintings. Such destruction was cause for banishment for sure but instead of cursing the ghost Severus would question it first.

He made himself reappear just as Peeves floated past.

"My, my, just look at all this mess. I'm sure this could mean expulsion from this plane for you." Severus intoned smoothly.

The ghost whirled about startled by the man behind him.

"Oh it's you. What are you doing here you Greasy Git?"

"I can be wherever I want in this facility. Much like you believe of yourself, but in my case I am needed."

"You... you... you greasy bat. All the students hate you and they don't like your class none either. So there! The ghost shouted.

"Seeing as I've always wanted to know your sentiments on the subject I'll let that slide." He said sarcastically.

Severus drew his wand.

"Before I hand you over to the Bloody Baron I need to know if you've seen any small children this night?" Severus said while twirling his wand in the specters' direction.

"I mighta seen one or two and you can't give me over if you can't catch me!" He squealed as he dropped everything and flew through the nearest wall.

"I will get rid of you one day, just you wait you abomination!"

Severus continued down the hall ready to cast a point me spell when he heard snuffling coming from a nearby cupboard.

He slowly opened the door to find a wolf pup ready to bite and that is what it did. Right on his mark. Granted the boy turned wolf had small baby teeth but they still stung and his mark was tender from time to time.

The only reaction he gave the pup was a tap of his wand on its sensitive nose.

"Release me this instant you imbecilic child." He said forcefully.

The child's senses must have returned because he released him then crouched in a small ball in the corner of the cupboard. He was trembling with fear Severus realized.

So he thought to defend himself? Well I suppose that is the natural reaction. Peeves must have scared him and he hid in here.

"If you hadn't left the infirmary you wouldn't be in this situation. Now come out of there at once!"

He knew he was being harsh but the boy could have been in danger. What's more he had bit him.

The pup slowly trotted out of his hiding place and sat at his heels waiting for his punishment.

"Can you change back?" Severus asked.

He gave him an odd shake of the head. Well odd for a wolf.

"In that case, Fomae Primae rede*," he intoned with an intricate wave of his wand.

Harry sat on his bottom on the cold stone floor in his human body.

"Why couldn't you do that before?" he asked angrily .

"You were weak and you need to learn to transform back on your own. I won't do that again unless you absolutely cannot do it yourself." Severus replied.

The boy scrambled to his feet.

"I didn't mean to change. I...I was scared. There was something coming and screeching along the walls. I dove in the cupboard to wait it out. I was going to run for it but I got lost. Everything looks so different now. I didn't want to bite you sir but I thought you were that thing come back."

"How so very like a Gryffindor. Brave to the very core hiding in a cupboard."

"I...I...I don't know what I am anymore." Potter said.

Then he began to tear up and rub profusely at his eyes though it did no good. The tears still came.

Severus was not moved. He wasn't and that is what he kept telling himself as he sat on the nearby settee dragging the child with him pulling him into his lap.

Harry immediately hugged his middle sobbing into his chest much like the other night.

"I'm sorry professor! All I do is mess up. I just wanted something for myself. Something to make me more like my Dad. I don't know why I did it now. It was stupid!" He continued to cry.

Severus patted his back awkwardly.

"It was stupid, but now you must live with the consequences. It will be tough at first but you are alive and you should be thankful of that."

Severus thought of his own mistakes as he told the child this.

"Who will take care of me now that I'm so small? I don't think I can keep up in classes anymore. My thoughts are all so fuzzy. I can't even remember basic spells!"

The child paused to sob.

"The Headmaster already has someone lined up to be your guardian." Severus said.

"I don't want to go back to the Dursley's. They hate me. They would hate me more in this size and I wouldn't be able to do half my chores. It would be awful!"

He started to make large gulping sounds. He was hyperventilating.

"Calm down child!"Severus said a bit roughly.

Severus started to pat more firmly to get him to breathe normally. Were his relatives truly that bad? So they made him do chores? Was it really as bad as all that to have a breathing fit? He would have to ask Albus about it later.

"You'll not be returning to them. Here now wipe your face, you've made it a mess."

He handed the child one of his handkerchiefs. Which was promptly used to smear the mess more about the child's face.  Severus sighed and took the bit of cloth in hand to wipe it himself.

"Then someone else will watch me?"Harry questioned as his professor rubbed his face a bit roughly.

"Yes." Was all that was returned.

"Who sir? Could it be Sirius? I would like to stay with Sirius!"

That fool can't even take care of himself!

"No, it is someone here at school, now quit with this guessing game. The Headmaster will be by in the morning to tell you who your new guardian is." Severus said.

He could have told him then and there that it was him but he didn't need a shouting match just now.  He stood setting the child on the ground.

"Come we must return to the infirmary." He told him.

They set off down the hall at a pace that Severus realized was too quick for the small boy. Becoming irritated he scooped Harry up adjusting the child to his hip and he continued making his way down the hall.

"I can walk sir!" Harry said indignantly.

"Not nearly as fast as I Mr. Potter and we need to get to the infirmary sometime tonight. It is well past your bedtime. " Severus informed the boy.

"It's only 10:30!"

"Yes, well past your current forms' bedtime don't you think?" Severus followed that with a smirk.

"I'm fifteen!"

"That's very humorous Mr. Potter. Please say that again when you look it. I will probably still find it just as funny seeing as I'm the adult."

"You don't always act it," Harry mumbled.

"What was that?" Severus asked coolly while stopping in his tracks.

Harry ducked his head.

"Sorry Sir." He said quietly.

"You will be very sorry if you are disrespectful to me again do you understand?"

He received a nod.

"Words Mr. Potter."

"Yes sir, I understand."

"Good, you will find yourself in a corner for quite a period of time should this occur again." He told him.

"Humph." The boy replied.

I will have to explain the rules as soon as he arrives in my quarters tomorrow. As well as the consequences for not following them.

Soon after they arrived in the infirmary. Madame Pomfrey scolded Harry and put him to bed adding a warming charm to his sheets.

Severus sat by his bed to see that he would in fact go to sleep this time.

"Sir?"

"Go to sleep Potter." Severus said.

"I can't. I'm too wound up and my head hurts." He rubbed his eyes with the backs of his hands.

"Where are your glasses?" Severus asked.

"When I got smaller they were too big. Nobody asked about it and I forgot to tell someone."

"Foolish boy, that's probably why you have a headache! Hand them to me." He indicated the child's glasses.

Harry reached over to the little nightstand and gave them to his professor.

"Are these the correct prescription?"

"Yeah... I mean yes sir. Madame Pomfrey checks them each year." Harry stumbled then recovered.

Why do his muggle relatives not see to this? Another thing to ask Albus about.

Severus then cast a shrinking spell on the spectacles and placed them on the child's face.

"Are they sufficient?" He queried.      

"Yes sir, thank you sir."

Severus nodded his head.

Harry took them off and returned them to the nightstand.

"Close your eyes Potter."

"But I can't sleep." The small child whinged.

Severus began speaking in a slow deep rhythm.

"Yes you can, because you're feeling sleepy. You've had a long day and you're worn out. You took it upon yourself to have a little adventure. You got lost but someone helped you find your way back. It took a while to get back walking all that distance and you got more tired by the moment. Now you are here in this comfortable, soft bed and you can barely keep your eyes open."

It wasn't hypnotism per se but he hoped it worked all the same.

Harry yawned and he rubbed at his eyes as they shuttered.

"That's it, you're very tired... sleep Harry." Severus said not noticing his slip up.

Harry rolled on his side and curled up in a fetal position.

Severus watched to make sure he was indeed asleep or that's what he told himself he was doing. He then made to get up when the child sighed.

"Goodnight Professor."

He paused thinking all was for not looking back at the child. His chest was rising and falling at a slow pace.

"Goodnight Potter."

He left for his own bed wondering what the morrow would bring. Surely the boy would have a fit when he found out who his guardian was.

Oh well. That is tomorrow and Potter will just have to deal with it like everything else.

As he left Poppy poked her head out from her office.

Things are going smoothly already. That was as good as a bedtime story Severus. Well, sort of.

The matron of the ward clicked her heels together and went back to reading the latest magazine from Wizarding Health Today.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
*Formae Primae rede: Return to your first form. Thanks dancingkatz! This should be the last night in the infirmary. Draco will make an appearance next chapter.
The Rules by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Warning: Harry gets a smack to the bum.

When Severus had returned to his quarters last night he had gone straight to his room. He hadn't even thought to look at the new additions. It was now 6:00 am; he rose early in general to have a moment to himself. He had had his cup of coffee and read Potions Monthly, a scholar's journal. He was prepared to leave for breakfast when he remembered to look at the child's rooms which were added to his.

He paused outside the newly placed door just beyond his living area. Inside was the standard shaped bed that was in every dorm. Except this bed was several sizes smaller. The room wasn't large by any means but just right for a child of Potter's size. There was a small closet and a chest of drawers. Also in the corner was a small desk with all of the child's books and writing supplies. Just in front of the bed was one large trunk, presumably belonging to the boy.

Thankfully enough the bed was the only thing done in Gryffindor colors. Aside from the boy's school work there didn't appear to be too much in here to occupy the now small child's time. Potter had mentioned that he couldn't remember things too clearly. He would need a teacher.

Albus hasn't said if the boy should be tutored. He certainly can't stay in here by himself all day. The mischief he would get into gives me chills just thinking about it.

Severus left his quarters heading to breakfast.

Maybe I can put the brat to bed as soon as I show him to his room? I suppose locking him in there would be neglectful?

Pushing humor aside Severus realized something.

Who is going to watch him? Albus wanted this all kept secret but surely people are beginning to wonder where he is?

Severus was nearly in the great hall and waited as the doors swung open to admit him.

Well, I'll just leave these problems to Albus. He is the master of planning after all.

He sat down at his usual place surveying his house's table.

Draco was early as usual. He was eating his breakfast with perfect table manners. Occasionally he would glance over at the Gryffindor table where two of the Golden Trio sat.

 This was not good. His Slytherins were bright, especially his godson in particular. It wouldn't take too much for him to figure out that Potter was missing for a reason. By the looks of it there were several others from various houses that were beginning to question the whereabouts of the missing Gryffindor.

Albus will have to say something very soon before we have a problem.

As if the man had read his mind the headmaster stood and conjured a podium.

"Excuse me if you please. I have an announcement to make," he began.

Everyone stopped what they were doing save for a few dunderheads who continued to stuff there face. Namely: Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe. Seeing as they were consumed with their eating they didn't catch the cool stare Severus was trying to freeze them to death with. Luckily Draco kicked them under the table because they suddenly both went to grab their shins and looked angrily towards him.

I'll give him points in class for this.

Though, he would have given him points in class anyways.

Minerva was sitting next to him and she covered a smirk with her napkin.

Like her lions are so much better! The only reason the youngest male Weasley isn't still gorging his face is because Granger pushed his plate away.

 He was pulled from his thoughts by the headmaster's words.

"As you may have noticed we are missing someone from our ranks." He said.

Whispers began to ripple across the hall.

"That person happens to be Mr. Potter as you may have surmised. It is with regret that I inform you that he has taken ill by a strange magical malady."

Hmmm, that's almost the truth.

"He will not be attending school for quite some time but fear not. He is not in danger of losing his life over this occurrence. He is being taken care of as we speak and as soon as his condition is better I will inform you.  I would encourage you to owl him get well cards. Now, I believe it is nearly time for your first lessons. Have a nice day everyone."

With that said the headmaster banished the podium and began to make his way over to Severus.

I suppose this can't be put off any longer.

"Severus, I trust the new additions are sufficient. Though, I suppose it could always be remodeled if someone doesn't like their new accommodations."  The headmaster said.

The students were filing out of the room. Minerva was getting up to leave when she interrupted.

"Whose accommodations would these be for Albus?"

"Oh, a good friend of ours. By the by Minerva, would you mind joining me for a cup of tea this afternoon?" The headmaster evaded.

  "Certainly, shall I come after noon lessons?" She asked.

"That is a wonderful time, I'll see you then."

She nodded and left for her classroom. Once she was out of hearing range Severus stated, "You haven't told her yet."

"No, and when I do I'll have to be careful. She has something of a temper when angered. I believe it's the Scottish in her."

Severus didn't know how to respond so he just waited for the headmaster to get on with what he knew was coming.

"If you'll accompany me to the infirmary Severus, I do believe there is someone waiting for their guardian to pick them up."

The headmaster made it sound like Potter was in daycare. Severus didn't have classes this morning otherwise he wouldn't normally be able to just up and go.

"Though, you should wait just outside for a bit I haven't informed him of who his guardian would be."

Fantastic, this is going to be a wonderful morning filled with kicking and screaming. Severus thought dryly.

They began making the lengthy walk to the infirmary.

"Albus there are a few concerns that I wish to ask about if I may?"

"Give me a moment," he said as he waved a silencing charm about them.

"Now what is on your mind?"

Besides jumping from the Astronomy tower?

"Who will watch the boy during the day? I'm sure it is against the law to leave the boy in my quarters alone for so many hours."

"He will remain with you during the day of course."Albus replied.

"How will this be done? I cannot abide having a small child in my classroom. What is more, it will negate everything you've said this morning if Potter appears now." 

"He will not. A young wolf pup will appear at your side. You may say he is your new familiar given to you by a doting but slightly batty relative." He said with eyes twinkling.

More like senile you old coot!

"He does not yet know how to control his transformations!" Severus tried to argue. This scheme was madness.

"That is why he will wear this ingenious collar which will allow him to stay fixed in his form," Albus said as he pulled out a plain dark blue collar handing it to Severus.

He continued, "It was created by a dear old friend of mine who had need of such a thing at one time. He is allowing me to borrow it for as long as I have need of it."

"How long must Potter come with me to class? He will need to be tutored. I'll not have his brain turned to more mush than it already has." Severus said with a sneer.

"That, I'm afraid will take some time. I must find the correct person for the job. In the meantime I would ask you to give him some basic lessons in your free time. Establish how far he has regressed and work from there. You may ask his friend Ms. Granger to help in that endeavor."

I will never have another moment to myself again it seems and I'll be damned if I let one more obnoxious child into my quarters.

Severus nodded reluctantly knowing when he was being told something to do.

"Excellent, and here we are. Just give me a moment with the boy and then I will call you."

Severus leaned against the wall just outside of the infirmary.

Then the doors opened and Madame Pomfrey stepped out. She cast a silencing spell.

"I've been informed that you are to be Mr. Potter's guardian," she stated.

Severus nodded.

"I must tell you some things that I feel as his guardian you should know."

Severus stood a bit straighter showing her he was listening.

"Every year that Mr. Potter has come here I have given him a new prescription for his glasses. This always occurs the second day of classes and every year I have noticed that Mr. Potter has a bruise somewhere in visible sight. He is also several pounds underweight each year."

She paused to let it all sink in.

"In short I believe Mr. Potter is neglected at his relative's home and abused. I'm telling you this because I know of another boy who not so long ago had something of a similar story. Please don't judge this boy as someone he is not Severus. That is all I have to say on that."

Severus wasn't quite sure what to think. Things the boy had said plus his own observations were starting to add up along those lines.

I suppose it is not a total shock. Petunia was a horrible child while growing up. Though, I can't imagine her raising a scrawny hand to hit the child. I'll just have to find out the truth of the matter from Potter but that'll have to wait till later.

Before Madame Pomfrey had gone back inside she left him with the boy's potions and instructions on eating habits. Severus continued to wait against the wall wondering when the screaming would begin. Oddly enough the door was cracked open and the silencing spell was not in effect. He could hear Albus talking to the child now. 

*****

Harry was playing with a practice snitch that Ron had bought him last year when the headmaster walked in the infirmary.

"Ah, good morning Harry, I trust you've slept well?"

Did he know I was up late last night?

"Uh, yes sir. Have you come to tell me who my guardian is?"

Best to get it out of the way quick.

"Why yes, that is the main reason for my visit this morning. Before we get to that I would like to know how you are feeling."

Angry at the world in general.

"I feel alright I guess. I don't really hurt anymore." Harry said with a sigh.

"That is excellent my boy. Now down to business. I have chosen Professor Snape as your guardian for the time being."

Harry just stared at him. This couldn't be happening. Not the man who degraded him at every turn. Not the man who regularly humiliated him on a daily basis. Not the man who hated his father and in turn himself.

Too shocked to scream Harry voiced this last concern in a whisper, "He hates me."

"I do not believe that is entirely true Harry. I cannot say for certain but I believe Professor Snape has a problem with separating the past from the present. I think you'll find that a good many adults have difficulty seeing the here and now. It may be a bit easier for Professor Snape now to discern the difference with your new appearance."

That didn't really help Harry feel too much better. He had to find some way out of this.

"He hit me."

There was a noise from beyond the infirmary doors.

"When did this occur?" The headmaster asked calmly.

Crap, now I have to tell him I was wandering about.

"Uh, last night," he said.

"What caused him to hit you?"

"I sort of bit him." Harry hedged.

"Why did you bite him?"

"I thought he was a monster. I was hiding in a closet because I had heard a horrible noise coming for me and I transformed. He opened the door and I didn't know it was him so I was just defendin' myself. Then he sort of tapped me on the nose. It didn't really hurt that much I guess."

"So, what happened after that?"

"He changed me back and then he..."

"He did what?"

"He sat me in his lap and patted my back. I was sorta upset I guess."

There was that noise again from the door.

"He told me that I had to live with the consequences of my actions and be thankful that I'm alive."

Thinking about it Snape had acted really odd last night and there was that time before. It was kinda nice being comforted even though it was by Snape.

"He fixed my glasses then he sorta helped me go to sleep by telling me a story."

The headmaster was smiling and looking thoughtful when Harry looked up at him.

"He's still mean and he still hit me," Harry said indignantly realizing he was losing the battle.

"Harry, you bit him and by your own account you said that it didn't hurt that much. I would ask that you try to behave while you are under his care."

So that's it then. There's no way out of this.

"I will if he will," Harry said childishly.

"I have no doubt that Professor Snape will behave. Now, I will ask him in and the two of you will leave for his quarters. He will show you to your new accommodations."

 The headmaster turned to call, "Severus if you would come in please?"

*****

 Severus was eavesdropping, though it came with the job; his other job that is.

When Severus heard Potter claim that he had hit him he gave a somewhat loud indignant snort.

That was well deserved you brat!

Then the headmaster continued to question the boy. He got to the part where Severus had supposedly comforted the child. At this admission Severus slipped from the wall his shoe grating against it.

Preposterous, I knew I should have obliviated him.

Finally the headmaster wrapped it up and called him in.

Merlin, help me!

With that thought Severus entered the infirmary.

Albus and Potter were sitting next to a window in towards the center of the room. Severus walked over to them noting the boy's anxious face.

"Severus now that you are here I would like to say something to the both of you. Don't argue too much."

That was it? Severus thought.

 "Now, I believe Mr. Potter is ready for a change in scenery Severus. You are welcome to show him to his new living accommodations." Dumbledore said cheerfully.

"Oh and Harry's clothes have been permanently shrunk, though I must say he'll need a few more things so the two of you will need to go shopping this Saturday."

Severus just stared at the man like he'd been hit with a Confundus. Well this was more than enough. He would drag the boy away just to escape this madness.

"Come Potter," Severus commanded.

The child seemed frightened at first but then dropped down from his chair. He followed his teacher bringing his snitch with him carrying it in both hands.

As they left Madame Pomfrey emerged from her office to share a congratulatory shake with the headmaster.

 "Now Madame let us hope that they don't kill each other."

"They won't." She said.

*****

Harry was walking alongside Snape at a regular speed. The man hadn't picked him up this time but thankfully they were walking at what for Snape must have been a snail's pace.

Further and further down they went. They didn't talk the whole way. After what seemed like ages they arrived in front of a plain wall. There was no door, no picture frame guarding the entrance only random light sconces that you would find anywhere in the castle.

Snape waved his hand in a downward hand slash and twirled his wand in several odd maneuvers. Then the bricks moved in the shape of a door opening inwards.

"Come along then Potter," Snape said.

They walked across the threshold. Harry was slightly surprised at what he saw. They entered into a cozy looking room done in dark tones of blue. The walls didn't appear to be brick and they had an intricate wallpaper design. The furniture was a light tan and looked brand new.

What, no chains or racks? Harry thought.

"This Potter is my sitting room and before I show you where you'll be sleeping we need to have a discussion. Go and sit on the sofa." Snape said.

Harry walked over and sat down despite his feelings at being ordered around. He set his snitch beside him.

Snape pulled a chair over to sit in front of him. The closeness was bothersome. Harry had to fight from leaning away from the man.

"While you are under my supervision and living in my quarters there will be a number of rules that must be followed," Snape began.

"There are rules already placed on every student attending this school but for some reason you have neglected to follow the majority of them each year. That ends today young man."

"What? I don't break too many rules!" Harry said offended.

"Do not interrupt." Snape said then continued after Harry nodded.

"You most certainly do break the rules and on a daily basis. Your current state should tell you something. You are out of control."

"I am not!" Harry nearly shouted.

"Do not raise your voice to me." Snape said coolly.

Harry fidgeted in his seat and cast his eyes downward.

Snape put a finger to his chin and raised his head so that his eyes were level.

"Now as I was saying before, there are now additional rules that I as your guardian will be placing on you."

"That's not fair! Nobody else has more rules."

"What did I say about interrupting?" Snape said waiting for a response.

"Not to interrupt." Harry said glumly.

"That is your last warning." Snape threatened.

"Now to the rules: you will have a set bedtime of 9:00pm every night, you will eat wholesome meals with one dessert at supper, you will be respectful of me and every adult in this facility, when I tell you to do something I expect you to do it without argument, you will not lie to me, if you get a fool notion in your head which may endanger your life you will stop and think about what I will do to you if said plan should fail." Snape finished with vigor.

 Harry sat in a daze. It was a lot of rules to follow and he was feeling slightly defiant.

"And what if I don't?"

"I'm so glad you asked," Snape said with sarcasm. "Now for the consequences; lesser offenses will receive: time out in the corner, an early bedtime, lines, and or essays." Snape ticked off on his fingers. "Major offenses will receive: groundings or a spanking," he plainly stated.

"What was that last part?" Harry asked not quite sure he had heard right.

"Being grounded or receiving a spanking Mr. Potter.  You will receive those for truly heinous rule breaking. If you lie to me, disobey a direct order or if you endanger your life you could receive one or the other. It will depend on the severity of your actions."

"Dumbledore w...won't allow this." Harry stuttered.

"It was my requirement for my agreement to this guardianship. You may ask him yourself if you like."

"Why?" Harry asked feeling a bit frightened and vulnerable.

"Are you doing this because you hated my father?" Harry continued quietly.

"No. I didn't want this arrangement at all. It was forced upon me." Snape said coldly.

"Then you shouldn't have accepted!" Harry screamed.

Harry rolled over to avoid Snape's limbs and hopped off the sofa running full throttle for the door.

This wasn't a thought out plan. It was more spur of the moment. When Harry was upset he tended to run. So he ran the short distance for the door not really thinking about how he would open it to get out.

"Potter, return to this sofa this instant!" Snape roared.

Oddly enough the door was opening. Harry looked back to see if Snape followed. For that reason he ran smack into the person who had opened the door.

"Oomph! What the bloody hell?" An angry voice shouted.

Harry quickly tried to disentangle himself only to be suddenly lifted in the air. To his horror it was Snape.

"Language Draco."

"Sorry Severus." The blond boy said.

"Let me go. I don't want this either." Harry said kicking and screaming.

Apparently Snape had had enough. He tucked Harry under his arm and landed a swift firm swat to his behind.

"Enough!" Snape said.

Harry gave a surprised and slightly pained noise in response.

"Draco stop standing there goggling, get inside now." Snape barked.

Harry was in shock. That smack to his bum had hurt! What's more Malfoy had seen.

Why do humiliating things have to happen in front of your enemies?

Snape marched to the nearest corner and put Harry's nose in it.

"If you move from this spot before I give you permission you will have one very sore little bottom. Do you understand me?" he asked.

Harry nodded his head reluctantly.

"Words Mr. Potter."

"Yes... sir." Harry hiccupped.

Snape turned away from him to walk over to the sofa.

I wish I could go back to being myself. This is all so dumb.

Harry tried to hold it in but he let out a quiet sniffle. He rubbed at his eyes. He wouldn't cry. He wouldn't.

Stupid Snape, stupid Dumbledore picking Snape, stupid little body, stupid me for going through with that stupid potion.

Harry continued to mentally agonize over every little thing as he stood there in the corner while Snape talked to Draco.

*****

Severus was furious. The boy was definitely out of control if he was crazy enough to think he could get away with a stunt like that. He hadn't taken action right away thinking Potter would've been stopped by the door. When the door opened his heart fell to his stomach thinking an enemy could've been just beyond. Looking up to the magical door frame alerted him that it was Draco.

Severus had to calm down. Anger muddled the mind along with his rational senses. He would be objective when punishing the brat and think on what had caused the hysterics, but later. Now he had a godson to obliviate but just maybe he could put him under an unbreakable vow.

"Draco what brings you down here? You know I like to have forewarning unless it is an emergency. Explain." Severus started.

Draco had been fully in his seat staring at Potter but at this question he slid to the edge and sat up a bit straighter.

"I...I got a letter from father this morning." He started.

Severus raised one eyebrow, this was a usual occurrence.

"He wants me to come home over the holidays to meet someone of great importance. From what I deduced he wants me to meet his master." Draco finished softly.

Generally Severus was much more observant. He should of have noticed Draco getting that missive this morning. His thoughts were elsewhere though.

 Severus needed to tread carefully here, though it was obvious which side he was working for. The brat in the corner was testament enough.

From Draco's body language it didn't seem that he was too enthused upon visiting the dark lord. He wouldn't coax him into claiming a side. This had to be his decision and he couldn't make it for him. If he chose dark Severus would have to obliviate him now.

"Draco you must decide now." Severus said while pulling out his wand.

Draco blanched at this and looked at his godfather with fear.

"I had no way of telling you before but as you can see I work for the Light side. I will not pressure you into joining either side now that you know, but I will have to obliviate before you leave if you choose dark." Severus told him.

"I...I don't know." Draco said lamely.

"You're not usually so inarticulate. I know you've been thinking about this. Decide Draco."

Draco looked ready to bolt. Instead he rambled.

"Killing people seems wrong, even if they are muggles. Father sometimes comes home looking as though he's been tortured and I know He did it.  He's always angry at me for not having higher grades than that mudblood Granger. He's still my father and I just always wanted to please him. I wanted to be just like him when I was younger. He's not the same, hasn't been for years now." Draco finished.

Hope billowed in Severus' chest.

He thought he wouldn't try to influence Draco's choice but he didn't want to see his godson killed.

"You'll have to kill. You're first assignment is always gruesome. Every atrocity he'll make you commit will stay with you through the entirety of your life. The pain he afflicts on you if you fail in the slightest will make you beg for death." Severus said with severity.

"So you're a spy then?" Draco asked to change the subject.

"My telling you anything now will make more work for me if I obliviate you." He said.

"I don't want to serve that monster but what can I do?  I believe Mother still cares for me but she'll only protect me from the shadows. Father would disinherit me if I refused him and probably take me out of school. Then he would beat me into submission." Draco shuddered at the last.

"Dumbledore would protect you. You would stay at school. I have an idea or two that would prolong your disinheritance. Still you must decide now."  Severus finished.

A sobbing child slumping to the floor interrupted them.

Severus cast a Tempus. They had been talking for quite some time. 

Drat, I hadn't realized. I'm already doing a horrible job at this.

"What is wrong with him?" Draco asked aggravated.

Severus ignored this in light of taking care of the crying child. Instead of degrading Potter like he normally would have done, he rose from his favorite chair to fetch the brat.

"I will give you some time to think on your decision. Not long though. I will return after putting this child to bed. The door is warded so do not even think of leaving." Severus warned.

He lifted the small boy off the ground gingerly expecting a fuss. Surprisingly, Potter clung to him as though he were a stuffed animal.

"Potter, I cannot breathe." Severus grumped.

Still the clinging persisted.

"If you had behaved like a normal person I would have shown you the rest of the quarters but since you had a tantrum you are going to take a nap. After that we are going to have a civilized conversation. Do you understand?" Severus asked.

"He got a nod from his shoulder where the boy's head lay."

"Words Mr. Potter." This would be his most used phrase from now on.

"Yes...Sir." Potter said quietly. He had calmed much after Severus had picked him up and walked the short distance down the hall to the child's room.

Severus put him on his bed taking his glasses, shoes and outer robes off before tucking him in.

"Now go to sleep and I'll be in to fetch you before lunch. We'll have our conversation then. Do not leave this room until then, unless you have to use the restroom." Severus said after putting out the lights in the room.

There was a magical nightlight placed on the wall just above the child's headboard giving the room a soft blue glow. 

 "Kay," Harry said sleepily.

Severus shut the door softly returning to the living area. He returned to his seat in front of Draco.

Who before his arrival had been slouching, bent over in thought.

"What is your decision Draco?" Severus asked.

"I don't want to be like my father, cowering before a madman kissing his robes all the time. I don't think the dark lord brings out the best qualities in pure bloods and quite frankly he's ruining our reputation." Draco said in a huff then continued.

"Would I have to have the same ideals as the Light? I don't like muggles and I think mudbloods could ruin our hidden world but that doesn't mean I want them dead.  I would rather join the ministry to make tighter rules and regulations for revealing our secret." He said.

"So you've decided." Severus pushed.

"I have my own bank account which is set up for every Malfoy heir. It is fully mine and cannot be tampered with by my parents. It is for emergencies but I never thought I would ever have to use it. Thank Merlin it accumulated for every heir over the generations. I would die of shame if I were a pauper." Draco stated with theatric wave of his hand to his heart.

Severus rolled his eyes.

"What is your choice then Draco? Say it." Severus demanded.

"I choose the Light." He said.

"Good. I would've been very irked had you joined the other." Severus said and for him that was saying a lot.

Draco inclined his head in thanks.

"We will have to go up to the headmaster's office now and he'll want to interrogate you with Veritaserum. I will also have to perform a spell on you to not inadvertently speak of anything you've seen here." Severus told him.

Draco nodded to the first and said, "You mean about Potter?" to the second.

"Just so." Severus said.

"Are you going to tell me about that after we're done with the headmaster?" Draco asked

"Doubtfully, it is none of your business currently." Severus said coolly.

Draco looked miffed but nodded.

"Let's go shall we? We'll take the floo. Give me a moment first." Severus said.

He walked down the hall to Potter's room and cracked it open.

Good, still asleep. If only he could be like this always.

"Weeble." Severus said aloud softly after he had shut the door.

His personal elf popped into the space in front of him.

"Yes sir, how is I to help you?" The elf asked in its squeaky voice.

"Watch over the boy in this room. Only allow him to leave the room if he should have to use the restroom. Call me at once should a problem occur." Severus commanded.

"Yes sir." The elf bowed and took up his post by the door.

Severus returned to the living area going to the floo. He threw some powder in and called for Albus' office. He was in.

"Albus, Draco is with me and due to extenuating circumstances he has confessed to wanting to switch sides." Severus said.

"Excellent, bring him and the Veritaserum on through." Albus said.

"We'll be through in a moment." Severus complied.

He turned to Draco with his wand.

"Just to keep you from talking about Potter," he said as he cast the spell on Draco.

With that done he said, "After you" indicating the floo.

Draco got up and went through the floo to the headmaster's office.

Severus collected the veritaserum and followed after giving one last look at his elf standing guard down the hall.

Hopefully he will not wake till I get back. Severus thought as he went through to the headmaster's office.

To be continued...
End Notes:
There's Draco. I'm going to try to edit the first chapters soon but it may take awhile till I have enough time. I want to use a few suggestions given by reviewers. The next chapter will probably take another week. Till then I hope you enjoy my story.
Problems in Class by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Warning: A certain pup gets a spanking.

Severus entered his quarters an hour or so later after the interrogation of his godson. It had been somewhat lengthy. The headmaster had wanted to ask every question imaginable. Oddly enough Draco had known little of the dark lord's plans or of his whereabouts.

Severus assumed Lucius would've have crowed hourly about all the tasks presented to him by the Dark lord. He certainly bragged to other Deatheaters every chance he got and was smug to boot.

Draco confessed under Veritaserum that he would hold true to the side of the light. Later after the effects wore off he admitted that he'd rather not fight given that he had friends and family on the opposing side.

The headmaster then told him that that was the way of it when fighting wars. He then promised to protect Draco as well as his mother should she choose as Draco had.

Severus told Draco of his plans to keep him over the holidays for some project, assigned by another teacher, to keep Draco from going home. This would allow him time to emancipate himself secretly without being disinherited first. It could also keep him out of danger for a bit longer considering his father's temper.

Draco accepted and left to post a discreet missive to his personal accountant.

Thinking on missives Severus wrote two to Potter's friends informing them that their friend would be in classes from now on and in his other form. They were to act as though they didn't know him for his own safety. He threatened that if they revealed him through accident he would ground them into ingredients for his potions.

Now Severus was in his living area and seated in his favorite chair when he recalled Potter had been napping and probably was no longer.

He rose quickly and went down the hall. There was his elf Weeble.

"No ones left sirs. I's have kept my post." The little elf said with a salute to his forehead.

"Very good Weeble, stand aside for a moment." Severus told him.

He entered the room only to find it empty.

Anger quickly suffused him.

Where is that blasted child? I knew I should have confiscated that invisibility cloak!

"Weeble, you didn't notice a wolf pup leaving did you?" Severus voiced that possibility. He hadn't made his instructions detailed enough.

"No sirs, nothing has left the room sirs." He said nervously.

Severus nodded and said, "That is all Weeble."

With a pop the elf was gone.

After spelling the lights on, Severus stepped into the room. He looked fully around, nothing appeared out of place save for a missing blanket. Wait...

The closet door was slightly cracked. He went to open it more fully and there, wrapped in the missing blanket and lying on a pillow from his bed, was Potter.

Severus' anger cooled only to be followed by confusion.

What's he doing in here when he has a perfectly good bed over there? Something's not right here and the only way to find out is through questioning.

Severus picked the boy up along with his blanket and carried him over to his bed. He debated on waking the child up. It was nearly lunch time.

In his musings Severus failed to realize that he was cradling the small boy in the crook of his arm.  

Taking too long to make a decision normally decided it for you. Potter began waking, to Severus' horror, still in his arms.

He quickly placed the child in a seated position at the head of the bed and waited while the boy rubbed at his eyes.

"Where am I?" Potter started.

Is this a ploy? What is he trying to pull here?

 "You are in my quarters Potter. You arrived here early this morning when I fetched you from the infirmary. I put you to bed when you threw that little tantrum of yours earlier."

A blush quickly covered the boys face at a rapid pace.

Now he remembers. I suppose the new surroundings for a five year old would result in short term memory loss.

"I don't know what came over me but you were mean!" he said angrily then covered his mouth with his small hand. He looked surprised that he would've said such a thing.

Severus raised an eyebrow at the tone Potter was giving him. Then he thought about what he'd said to garner the hysterics from earlier. Oh... he'd said that this arrangement had been forced on him right before Potter had lost his mind.

Well, that was a bit harsh he supposed. In turn one could interpret it as saying he didn't want the child, which in this case was true. Saying this to a five year old though was just cruel.

Severus had had something of an epiphany then. Where was the pleasure of tormenting a five year old? Granted it was Potter, but really it wasn't anymore. Before him sat a scared little boy who looked on the verge of tears again.

As if Severus had read the child's mind that is just what the little boy did. He covered his face with his two little hands and then buried his head into his knees drawing them into his body.

 Severus was disturbed. This show of pain was difficult to view. What had he done before to shut Potter up?

He remembered.

He picked Potter up and placed him in his lap then rubbed the boy's back in soothing circles.

At first the boy had stilled. Probably anticipating another smack but then realized that he was being comforted. At that he collapsed into his professor sobbing.

I must be doing this wrong and why must he always cry? Severus thought.

Potter clung about his middle per usual. Maybe he could talk the boy into calming down.

"That's enough Mr. Potter. You're going to make yourself sick. I'm not angry with you anymore." Severus realized he truly meant it.

Had he ever been mad at this boy? He was angry at a different person, someone who was no longer here. Well really he was just angry at himself for never being able to take what he wanted or letting those he loved slip away from him.

"Mr. Potter if you can calm yourself we could go to the dining room to eat lunch." Severus said.

He took a few deep breaths and rubbed at his eyes a few more times.

Finally the child stopped crying.

"Good boy, let's get us something to eat shall we?" Severus said noting the shocked look on the boys face at the word ‘good' directed towards him.

This would probably be more amusing then degrading the child. Severus thought wryly.

He set Potter on the floor then said, "Follow me."

Severus walked out of the room with a small Potter following after like a duckling.

*****

Harry sat at the table across from his guardian. They were apparently having something different than what everyone else in the great hall was having. Snape had told him the name of the dish but for the life of him Harry couldn't be bothered trying to remember French.

All he knew was that it involved fish and tartar sauce with small wedged scalloped potatoes. He wanted to tell his professor that ‘here in the United Kingdom it was known as fish and chips and would he please pass the ketchup?' Instead he held his tongue and took small bites. It was seasoned funny.

"Mr. Potter, sit up straight and eat more of the fish." Snape said without half the bark.

Generally Harry would've told him ‘he knew how to sit and would he mind his own business' but he was uncertain how that would go over, what with the new rules and all.

This was all so confusing. Harry knew that earlier Snape had comforted him again but what was wrong with the world? When was Voldemort gonna pop out of thin air and offer him a handshake and say, "Let's let bygones be bygones old chap, hmmm?"

Seriously, something was wrong.

Harry was pushing the last of his fish around when Snape interrupted with, "We should be getting to class, finish up and we'll go."

"What?"

"We're going to class and I do not like repeating myself Potter. Pay attention." Snape said with frustration.

"How can I go like this? I'll be the laughing stock of the school and didn't Dumbledore want me kept secret?" Harry asked.

"If you would do as you're told you would discover why adults tell you what to do in the first place. Now go clean up in the restroom then come out to the living area. We need to have a discussion." Snape said.

Harry groaned. Was this for earlier? Snape hadn't yet assigned a punishment for having a fit. Well, all he could do now was go and clean himself up. His hands and face were a bit of a mess and the napkin at the table had just smeared stuff in. His dexterity must have left him when he de-aged.

He entered the bathroom down from his room and went to wash up only realizing then that he couldn't reach the sink. He could go and ask Snape for help or he could climb up onto the counter and sit by the bowl.

He put his hands out to both sides of him weighing his options. Sitting by the sink won. He put his hands on the counter and started to pull himself up when he was surprised by a swift swat to his bottom which caused him to lose his balance falling back into waiting arms.

Snape was behind him and had dealt the offending smack.

"What did I tell you about endangering your life?" He said angrily while he set Harry to rights.

"Not to?" Harry said meekly while rubbing the sting out.

"You are to ask if you need assistance Potter. Now what do you say?" Snape asked.

"I'm sorry?" Harry tried.

"Yes, that's a start but what else?" Snape asked.

Harry didn't know what he was talking about at first.

"Oh, could you...help me sir?" Harry asked, finally understanding what the man wanted.

"Gryffindors," Snape murmured. 

"Slytherins don't ask for help or at least none that I know of!" Harry said offended.

"Maybe not, but they get their help in a roundabout fashion. Stand aside Potter." Snape said as he shrunk the sink.

It was now down to the perfect level for Harry. Snape went on to shrink the toilet and tub as well.

"Thank you professor." Harry said when he finished.

Snape looked surprised but nodded at the gratitude given him.

"Hurry along then Potter, we've got things to discuss and classes to attend."

Harry washed up quickly and half ran to the living area forgetting that he could be in trouble. He sat in his spot on the couch waiting for Snape to come over.

He came from a room that Harry hadn't been to yet and sat in the chair across from him. It was much like earlier but not as close.

"We will discuss your behavior from earlier after dinner tonight. We are going to class and you will wear this." Snape said as he brought out what looked like a collar.

"Is that what I think it is?" Harry asked somewhat shocked.

"Unless you think that it is a magical collar that fixes your Animagus form, than yes." Snape said somewhat sarcastically.

"I'll be in my form throughout the class day? I'm not even sure I know how to act like a wolf." Harry said a bit anxious.

 "You must remain by my side until the headmaster can find you a tutor. Even then you will still have to accompany me for a few classes. Until then you'll have to come to all of them. As to your acting abilities, just let your instincts take over for now." Snape said.

As if Harry knew what instincts he was talking about.

"I'm sure we know of someone who could teach you animal characteristics for the meantime you'll just have to make do with what you know of dogs." He continued.

Harry brightened thinking that person could be Sirius. Then thinking on what he knew of dogs he blanched. The only dogs he'd known were horrible pit bulls that Dudley's aunt had set on him for amusement.

These thoughts must've shown on his face because Snape was asking him a question.

"You've encountered some type of dog before haven't you?"

"Yeah," Harry said.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, I mean yes sir." Harry fixed.

"How did they act?" Snape asked.

"Mean," Harry blurted by mistake.

"Isn't your godfather a mutt?" Snape asked confused.

"Oh yeah!" Harry exclaimed.

He could act like Padfoot, though something told him that Snape wouldn't appreciate that.

Snape was talking to him so Harry refocused.

"Well, all you have to do is walk. Just don't do anything human and for Merlin's sake, don't run up to those friends of yours. Ignore them for the duration of class." Snape said.

"I can't do that! Ron will hate me." Harry said affronted.

"I've already sent them a missive concerning the situation. They already know to ignore you. Besides, your cover story is that you are my new familiar given to me by a batty relative. I will leak that bit of information after classes today. As you should know once someone is bonded to a familiar by law you cannot get rid of it."

Harry didn't know that but he gave a nod. Snape snorted looking skeptical. He probably doubted Harry knew anything.

"Here now, this will help you transform. Try walking around a bit at first." Snape said putting the collar around Harry's neck.

Harry allowed it looking forward to changing. Though being smaller wasn't as appealing as one would think. Hopefully it wouldn't take him too many years to grow.

He was sitting on the couch in his wolf form in a blink of an eye. He looked at Snape and then scents seemed to bombard him from every direction.

Tangy smells and offensive smells seemed to come from down the hall where Snape had come from earlier. Snape himself had an herbal smell about him, that and a burnt smell which probably came from making potions.

 Harry cocked his head to one side as he thought about each new smell.

"That is a human gesture." Snape told him.

Harry righted his head and barked at Snape.

"I'm going to assume you just thanked me. Now, go walk about like I told you."

Harry hopped down and walked around. He really hadn't got much of a chance to really see to his abilities in this form. He picked up the pace by running from the door to the other side of the room. To his surprise it was great fun. He discovered that doing this around the sofa was great as well. He made sharp turns and yipped as he went.

Apparently Snape had had enough because he suddenly put a foot out to stop Harry's circuit. He tumbled a bit and popped back up to bark angrily at the git.

Snape picked him up by the collar and said, "That is enough frolicking. We need to get to class." Then he tucked Harry under his left arm and walked over to the dining table. He collected a textbook from there and then headed out the door.

Harry tried to convey that he could walk on his own through telepathy and barking but apparently Snape couldn't understand either.

"You will be quiet this instant. When we reach class you will sit under my desk. I will allow you to stretch between classes. If you make a noise you will regret it. Do you understand?" Snape asked.

Harry gave a quiet bark saying that he did. It also meant that he wouldn't like it.

"Good."

They arrived at the classroom a few minutes later. Snape put Harry down noticing that no one was around. They also hadn't seen anyone along the way there.

Snape walked to his desk and waved his wand while casting a conjuring spell. Then he indicated that Harry should get under it if he knew what was good for him. All said with his eyes strangely enough.

Harry trotted across the cold stone floor to the man's desk at the front. He was surprised when he found a walled rounded cushion just his size. He looked up at the professor asking if it was meant for him with a little "woof?"

 "Yes, now get in it. I may be able to find something to amuse you tomorrow till then amuse yourself quietly." Snape said.

What is there to amuse myself with? Harry thought grumpily.

"Before I forget, I need to cast a glamour over your fur in the area shaped like a scar." Snape said.

He gathered Harry in his hands and placed him in his lap.

"Be still." He commanded.

Harry wondered if rolling his tongue out would be interpreted correctly.

Snape murmured the charm and Harry figured it was done because the man put him back in his little bed.

He sat there while Snape scratched a quill to page for some minutes before Harry heard voices from beyond the classroom door.

Finally, people to listen to, there's something to do! He thought.

With his heightened hearing he could listen to conversations he normally wouldn't be privy to.

They were coming in the door now. He was tilting his head to listen better when Snape bellowed out, "To your seats and turn to page one hundred and ninety three."

Drat! That's right, you can't whisper in this class without being caught. You can't even pass letters. Snape's ruining all my fun!

As the students entered Harry heard some familiar voices. This was his class the Gryffindor-Slytherin group.

He wished there was some way to just get a glimpse of his mates. Would he ever be able to talk to them again? He highly doubted that Snape would allow him any small bit of happiness.

He sat there wallowing in his thoughts while Snape droned on about Wurd Root and all its properties. The sound of the man's voice was making him drowsy. He got up to make three little circles before he settled down curling his limbs and his head into the shape of his bed. He was out like a light.

*****

Severus had just finished lecturing and had assigned the students to the practical work. He went to his desk to grade essays when he looked in on Potter. The boy was sound asleep curled up in his little bed.

Typical, though I suppose he would have done that in either form, the dunderhead. Severus thought.

Well, he would have to think of something to occupy the boy's time. Sleeping throughout the day was not healthy. Though really, what could he do in that form while sitting under his desk? Perhaps he could get him small texts to read from.

The boy would possibly be able to sit there in his human form if he never left from under the desk. That would give him use of his hands so he could do school work.

It was risky and somewhat dangerous. Though he highly doubted any student would dare come behind his desk while he was not present.

All it would take though was Potter saying something or making a noise and one of the Gryffindors would brave death to rescue whatever live potion ingredient he had trapped under there.

This just was just something Severus would have to put more thought into.

He looked up to scan the room. The children were just now conjuring the fire to go under their cauldrons. They had to set the base liquid before and already, despite being in their fifth year, there were some students who decided this step wasn't crucial.

Idiots! Really, why are there only two gifted students in this lot? Severus thought angrily.

He got up quickly to go and crack some skulls or correct mistakes as he called it.

*****

Harry woke up after his quick nap. He sat up and stretched his front legs out in front of him, then gave a great yawn.

Huh? I guess dogs yawn too. Harry thought.

He saw that Snape was not in front of him. He listened to ascertain the man's whereabouts.

He was walking about the classroom making snide comments about this or that. In one case reducing poor Neville into a stuttering fool.

Harry restrained himself from growling.

Stupid git! He's always belittling people. If he'd just be nice once and a while and teach differently.

Harry was upset but he started thinking about why the man was mean a lot of the time.

 Maybe no one ever taught him how to be nice. He's an adult so he gets away with it. Since he watches me then I guess I'll have to be the one to teach him how to be nice.

He'd have to do it subtly though. Snape wouldn't like being nice at first. Harry would have to think of small things to start with.

He'd been pacing in the tiny space below the desk when suddenly he stopped. He hadn't used the restroom before coming to class and now he really needed to. What could he do?

He certainly couldn't go right here beneath the desk and Snape had said not to make a noise. He had also said that Harry could stretch between classes which could include a restroom break hypothetically but he couldn't wait that long.

As far as he could tell, this class lasted another half hour.

His pacing became frantic. He was debating running out but that would get him nowhere fast. What's more Snape would probably skin him alive.

He was close to his breaking point when a familiar pair of legs appeared before him. The person they belonged to abruptly sat down.

Great! Now how can I convey to Snape that I have to use the restroom? Save from peeing on him directly?

*****

Severus walked over to his desk after degrading every other Gryffindor. He had glared at his Slytherins who were having trouble. There should have been no problems there.  He'd personally partnered the smarter snakes with the less than smarter ones.

After giving the whole class a once over, to make sure there were no more fools mucking about, he sat.

He was about to grab a quill and grade another classes work when he felt what he assumed was a wet nose go up his pant leg.

Has Potter lost his mind? He nearly raged aloud.

The feeling had been surprising and if he hadn't had excellent control over his body he probably would've jumped out of his own skin.

He looked down at the culprit contemplating a wrap on the nose for his insolence when he saw that the pup was frantic upon giving him a message of some sort.

The boy was bouncing on his heels and crossing his legs.

Wait! That is a human gesture. Hmmm...Oh! How can I take him now? Why didn't he go before we left?

Severus was furious. Surprisingly he was angrier with himself for not remembering a five year old bladder was infinitely smaller than a fifteen year old bladder.

I suppose he would have been revealed anyways at supper. Severus mused.

The only students at the stasis stage were Draco and Granger. It would be suspicious if he allowed Granger to take him. It would have to be Draco though he would have to tell him to not let Potter run away from him.

 He quietly whispered beneath the desk, "You will go with Draco, stay with him if you ever want to sit again." He threatened.

He didn't look for a response. He called Draco to his desk.

"Draco, I have a task that only you can perform." He started.

Draco leaned close as though Severus were giving him a secret mission.

"I need for you to take my familiar outside to use the restroom." He stated plainly.

Draco raised an eyebrow as though to say that was beneath him but then nodded to the request.

"Where is it?" He asked.

"Come out," was all Severus said to the pup beneath the desk.

Severus scooped him up with ease and plopped him in Draco's arms.

"Go quickly unless you want evidence of an accident on your robes." Severus warned him.

Draco rolled his eyes but spun about to start walking out of the classroom.

The squeal that erupted from every female student in the classroom was nearly deafening once people got sight of Potter.

Severus didn't know if pups could grin but this one for certain could. He was also barking excitedly.

Severus ran a hand slowly down his face. He would never be able to live down this humiliation.

When Draco had turned with Potter in his arms Severus had noticed the Weasley brat nearly leaping to his feet only to be elbowed by the bushy haired girl beside him.

At least she had enough brains for the both of them.

So this incident just proved to add one more thing to Severus' mental check list: He must go to the bathroom before we leave my quarters.

Whispers started going around the room.

"Why was he under the desk?"

"You think he was a potion ingredient?"

"You'd think he'd hate things that were small and furry. Like he'd eat um for breakfast or something?" One insolent brat had the courage to say.

Severus removed his hand to see dozens of eyes staring at him curiously.

"Enough!" He roared.

"Get back to work this instant before I give all of you detention."

They scrambled for their supplies.

At least I can still strike fear into their very beings. My image isn't totally ruined. He thought.

*****

No good, no good. Harry thought. He had to go now. What could he do?

Malfoy was walking at a quick pace through the lower levels of the school but there were still flights of stairs to be climbed and a few hallways to traverse till they got outside.

There was a low potted plant coming up and it was Harry's second to last option. The last would be his death he was sure. Using the restroom on your enemy had a humorous ring to it but it also meant the end considering his current size.

He did what he'd wanted to do since he'd been placed in Malfoy's arms. He bit him on the wrist.

"Bloody Hell! I'll kill you, you flea bitten mutt!" Malfoy swore.

Harry ignored him as he was dropped and landed at a run. He went directly for the plant and lifted his leg. It was different then what he was used to but it didn't take a potion master to figure it out.

"If you weren't Severus' familiar I really would have you put to sleep. Now get over here you mongrel!" Malfoy hissed the last.

 Harry had finished his business feeling better. He almost hadn't made it. Malfoy was talking to him but Harry had other ideas. He figured he had at least ten minutes till they had to be back before Snape sent someone looking for them.

Malfoy was bending over to pick him back up when Harry dashed between his legs and ran down the hall. He could hear the teenager cursing behind him. He barked happily. Harry turned to look back and saw that the git was pointing his wand at him.

He looked forward and took a sharp left and tore down the hallway as quick as he could. Then he heard footsteps chasing after him.

Just ahead, one of the empty classroom doors appeared to be open. He dashed in and went behind the door to push it shut with his head placed against the wood.

When he finally got it shut he sat down to rest. All that running about had made him sleepy. He laid down on his belly, putting his head on his outstretched paws, to wait Malfoy out.

When Malfoy opened the door he'd dash between his legs again. The look on his face the first time had been great. This would be a good game to help pass the time.

The knob was jiggling now. Harry got into position to dash again his tail wagging behind him.

 The door opened to reveal a longer set of legs and a feline. It was Mr. Filch and his nosey cat Mrs. Norris.

"Well, well my dear look what we have here." Filch said to the cat.

Mrs. Norris arched her back and hissed at Harry.

He looked for a way out. Filch was standing with his feet together and Mrs. Norris wasn't but a foot away. He couldn't run between them or between the man's legs.

He was trapped.

"School rules state that all familiars are to be with their owner or in the dorms. So, we'll just have to collect you and take you down to our office until your master comes looking for you. They won't know to look for you down there though will they?"  Filch asked nastily.

Harry tried growling at them. It wasn't very convincing coming from such a young pup.

"None of that now. Mrs. Norris round him up." Filch commanded.

The cat started making its way over to him. They were about the same size and Harry figured he might have a chance in a fight.

He was wrong. Mrs. Norris was an old cat and she had experience fighting.

She went around Harry quickly confusing him. He turned to confront her with a bark and received a slash to his face for his efforts.

It had hurt. Harry was bleeding and scared now. He just wanted to be safe so he turned around and ran as quick as he could. The space where Mrs. Norris had been earlier was open now and he took that advantage.

Filch looked as if he was going to try and catch him but Harry leapt through his circling arms and out the door.

He was going pretty fast down the hallway when he felt a tugging on his body.

Filch can't do magic! What's going on? Harry wondered.

He turned his head in the direction of the pull and saw a body down the way.

It was Snape!

Frightened to death he would get the spanking of his life for not obeying the man, Harry tried to run despite the magic tugging at him.

It wasn't working though so Harry gave up and was scooted across the carpet towards the wizard in black. The whole process was uncomfortable and he was somewhat concerned that he'd end up with rug burn despite his fur.

He finally reached the man and was scooped up to come face to face with him.

"You are in a lot of trouble young man." Snape simply stated.

He then took a minute to look Harry over.

"What has happened to your face?"

Even though he was scared of what his punishment would be Harry whined pitifully. He was glad the man was there to fend off any senile janitors or mangy cats.

"If you'd just stayed with Draco this wouldn't have happened." He said as he waved his wand over the cut healing the laceration.

Harry barked trying to thank him.

"I don't care what you had in mind." Snape misunderstood him.

"I had to end class early to come looking for you. Did you know that just for your safety I put several charms on this collar so that only I or the headmaster could summon you or locate you? No of course you didn't that is why I'm telling you now."

Snape conjured a chair against the wall and sat down bringing Harry over his knee.

"If you had done what I'd told you in the first place I wouldn't have to do this." He said.

He can't change me back in the middle of the hallway. What's he gonna do? Harry thought nervously.

Snape pulled out a thin rolled up newspaper from his robes and waved it front of Harry's face.

That probably won't be so bad. It's just newspaper. Harry thought.

But he'd been wrong before.

The first swat was directed swiftly to his bottom. That had hurt. He hadn't meant to make a noise but it had surprised him. He yelped.

The swats got a bit firmer and were applied to his hind legs and where his tail connected to his bottom.  He was barking now and wiggling trying to get free but it was no use. Snape had an iron grip on his upper body.

After what seemed like eternity but in reality were around twelve smacks Snape stopped.

"From now on Mr. Potter I suggest you listen and obey me." He said as he set Harry on the floor.

Harry's bottom hurt and he showed it by whimpering. He tried to rub his bottom on the carpet to ease the soreness but that made it worse. He continued to yelp with tears rolling down his face.

"We are adding this to the discussion pile when we get back to my rooms after supper, now calm yourself Potter."

Harry couldn't. He'd just wanted a bit of fun which had turned into another misadventure. Maybe he really did need someone to look after him and tell him what to do.

He put his paws on the man's leg hoping he'd get the message and pick him up. He wanted to be cuddled for some reason.

Snape figured it out and leaned over to pick him up.

"I did not enjoy doing that Potter, not at all. It is a deterrent meant to keep you from misbehaving. Do you understand?" Snape asked gently surprising Harry.

Harry nodded his head and stuffed his head in the crook of the man's arm.

"Good. Now let us go to supper. We could both do with a bite to eat."

Snape banished his chair with a flourish and headed towards the great hall carrying the pup in his arms.

Harry was hungry now that he thought about it. He wondered what he could eat in front of everyone in the Great Hall and if he'd be terribly embarrassed the whole time.  

Well, he was a dog and they could eat with their faces.

This could be great! He thought.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I know Harry cries a lot. He's getting used to his new body and he's a bit emotional right now. The next chapter might take some time to get out what with Christmas coming up. It will involve the discussion I keep putting off between Severus and Harry. I really enjoy the reveiws I've received, thanks so much!
The Discussion by Quipped to Death

It had been a long day but mercifully Severus had entered the Great Hall early enough to avoid the traffic. It also wouldn't have looked good for his image to be carrying a pup in his arms. He would have let the boy turned wolf walk by himself but said child was only too eager to run off into mischief at the first sign of independence. No, it was better to keep him on a short leash right now so to speak.

Severus reached the staff table and sat in his usual spot. The pup in his arms had fallen asleep on the walk there. The boy had some adventure before Severus found him running about. When Draco had come back without the boy Severus' heart had done a little flip. A movement which for him would normally be categorized under indigestion.

There had only been a few minutes left in class and the students were mostly cleaning up save for Neville Longbottom. There was just no hope there. He dismissed the class early for the first time in his teaching career. To make up for it he assigned a ten page essay for the students to turn in by next class.

Draco told him right where he had lost him and when he got there he said the chant that would locate the boy through the collar. Oddly enough the boy was running past him down another corridor and so he cast Accio to bring the pup to him.

It was somewhat humorous to see a shocked expression on a dog's face. The boy had tried to run but then realized that it was futile.

He'd given the pup a spanking then. At first he thought the boy was getting his just desserts but now that he thought back on it he hadn't even asked what had happened. Oh, certainly the boy had disobeyed but Severus didn't know the why of it.

He'd been upset from the start of this episode and when he found the boy he was instantly relieved. Well, from now on he would just have to count to ten and then if he could bear it ask the boy his version of events. Severus was the adult after all.

Though if the brat endangered his life again it wouldn't matter what form he was in. He would get a sound spanking no matter the place or who was in attendance.

The Hall began to fill with students and Minerva arrived as he roused the pup from sleep and put him on the floor. Thankfully the boy would be hidden by the skirt of the table.   

"I've heard it from the source about your new pet and I'm here to tell you that I'm upset that I wasn't involved in the decision of it. Be that as it may I'm also pleased that other than myself you were chosen. Still I would have you know this; I'm very protective of my lions whatever form they take." Minerva finished.

Mindful of the child below listening, Severus avoided saying things that would cause another tantrum.

"Madam he will be well looked after. I have accepted the responsibility." He told her.

She kept staring at him in that manner that made Severus feel as if he were a young boy again.

Finally she said, "I trust you, now what is your new pet's name?"

Severus was at a loss. What could he call the boy in this form? So he said the first thing that came to mind.

"Felan, it's derived from the Irish Gaelic name Foalan. It means little wolf." He finished somewhat smug for thinking of such a fitting name for the pup.

"Well, Felan has a lesson with me in a few days. See that he makes it on time."

"Just give me enough notice." Severus said as the food began to arrive.

Down below a little dog bowl arrived with a chicken leg, mashed carrots and a bite sized dinner roll. There was also another bowl of water.

If the elves made it then it had to be alright for the pup. Severus had to hide a snort in his napkin when he noticed a dog biscuit on a separate plate.

The boy wasn't fooled though.  With his sensitive hearing he had heard the snort for what it was. He started growling at his guardian to speak of his displeasure.

"That's enough Felan. You're eating the same as everyone else so cease that noise."

Potter put one paw on the plate with the biscuit treat and gave a single bark.

"I'm certain one loud mouthed friend of yours would eat that without even looking at it. You don't have to eat it if you don't want to but the rest you will finish every bite of. Now get started." Severus finished in his stern voice.

Potter gave one more reluctant sniff at the treat before tearing into his meal. It was revolting to watch so Severus turned to his own food.

From a side glance he noticed that Minerva was giving him a crooked smile.

"I take back my rudeness from earlier Severus. You're off to a fine start." She told him with a smile.

A bit flabbergasted Severus continued eating his meal.

*****

Harry was enjoying the chicken even though it was messy and a bit hard to manage with the nose he currently had.

The dog biscuit was going too far. He really wanted a cupcake or something sweet.

While he was eating he thought about what the adults had said. Apparently McGonagall hadn't known about his new living arrangement but was willing to leave things as they were.  Still, her saying she would protect him was nice to hear.

He didn't really know what to think of the new name other than he'd have to remember to answer to it. Though really when you gave a small creature a name did they immediately know that it was there's?

Just to keep his bottom from a smacking he would remember it. Snape didn't like to be ignored and it would probably come off as disobedience if Harry did forget.

Felan, it's in the vault now. Do not forget Harry!  

Sometimes telling himself these things helped him remember.

At this point he'd finished his meal and all he had left was the biscuit.

He said I didn't have to eat it. Harry thought while sniffing the "treat" disdainfully.

Experimentally he licked at it.

Well I do have to play a part. Best to keep up appearances at all times.

Since no one was watching now Harry nibbled at the treat tentatively. To his surprise it actually tasted pretty good. Like a butter cookie really. He gobbled it down with Ron's speed licking his chops and wondering how he could get a second one.

"Seems you enjoyed that treat Felan. Now I know what to give you when you've earned a reward." Snape said with a smirk, leaning down over him.

Harry decided to let it go. There was no sense in arguing. Snape wouldn't understand dog anyways.

"My but you've made quite the mess of yourself. Let me clean you right up." McGonagall said as she picked him up to put him in her lap.

"Minerva all he needs is a quick scourgify." Snape started to say grumpily.

"I do not mind in the least Severus." She said as she wet a napkin in her goblet and dabbed at Harry's face.

"There now, clean as a snitch and ready to fly it seems." She said as she put the wiggling pup down.

That was embarrassing! Doesn't she know I'm 15? Harry thought indignantly. His friends had probably seen that. Oh well, they wouldn't make fun of him for it, maybe.

Harry walked over to the skirt covering the table and stuck his nose under it and managed to get it over his head with some maneuvering. He wanted to see if there were students still in the hall.

There were only a few stragglers.

Darn, I thought I could just see Hermione and Ron.

Suddenly he was tugged from behind into strong arms.

"We're leaving Felan." Snape said as he began walking down the rows and out of the Great Hall.

"When we return to my rooms you will be getting a bath and will go straight to bed for your behavior earlier today." The man said as they glided down the corridor.

He looked around before saying, "We will have our conversation before you go to bed though."

Oh Drat! Harry had forgotten all about that.

They entered the rooms minutes later and Snape pulled the collar over Harry's head once the door was shut. Harry thought he would be put down but Snape continued to carry Harry into the bathroom.

"I already got a spanking!" Harry squeaked out in a panic.

"I'm merely putting you where you belong for the moment while I fetch your sleeping attire." Snape said while placing Harry on the closed toilet lid. He also started the water going for the tub with a swish of his wand.

Harry sat there wondering if he should get undressed when the man came back in with flamboyant red pj's. They were covered in different dragons that spat fire from time to time and flapped their wings. They looked more like Fred and George's than Harry's current pj's.

 "The Headmaster's idea of five year old attire I assure you. Now strip off and get in the tub." Snape ordered.

"You gonna watch me the whole time?" Harry asked offended but at the same time taking his shirt off.

"There's nothing you have that I haven't seen before young man and mind your cheek. I'm going to go grade a few papers. You have 30 minutes to finish your bath-time needs. Everything you need should be laid out. You will call me when you're all finished. Understood?" Snape asked.

"Yes sir." Harry said quietly.

"Good. Do not make a mess." Snape said and left leaving the door open.

"Humph." Harry said grumpily.

He set about washing himself in the tub. He was still becoming accustomed to his younger body. Everything was so much smaller. One positive way of looking at things was it certainly made bathing a quicker process than usual.

And to think I was just starting to really grow before all of this. Now I have to wait all over again. Does that mean I'll have a 15 year old body when I'm 30?

That was a disturbing thought so Harry let his mind wander to Quidditch while finishing up his bath. He brushed his teeth and hair before using the toilet. Then he hung up his towel on the rack.

Well, nothing for it now. Just better get it over with. It's not like I'm not used to being yelled at and hit. I can take another smacking. I'm a Gryffindor after all.

Despite being a Gryffindor Harry was somewhat reluctant to enter the living area. There was Snape scribbling away dashing his quill against the page in angry slashes while muttering to himself about idiotic children.

Without turning around he called out, "I thought I told you to call me when finished Mr. Potter?"

Harry flinched, "Sorry sir."

"Well it matters not where we have this conversation. Go and have a seat on the sofa." Snape said while finishing up his paperwork.

Harry chose to sit in the center and waited while the man came over.

*****

Severus stacked his work neatly before leaving his desk. While the brat had been in the tub he thought on how he should go about speaking to him. The events of the day had worn him down. From Draco's conversion, classes and finally searching for the missing pup it had all just made him aggravatingly tired.

He'd already punished him for the disobedience of running away but they still needed to talk about it. They would start there and work their way backwards.

He pulled a chair to sit directly in front of the boy. This seemed to bother the child. He wiggled back until he was as far away from his guardian as possible.

"Mr. Potter we will begin this conversation with maturity and honesty." Severus began.

"Yeah right..." Potter mumbled under his breath.

"I assure you I can always add on to your punishment for rudeness should you continue in that vein young man." He threatened.

"I already got spanked today what else do I need to be punished for?" The child questioned angrily.

"If you will calm yourself we will begin with that incident." He told him.

"Fine." The child huffed and crossed his arms over his chest averting his eyes down and away from Severus.

"I will wait until you are ready to comport yourself with maturity." Severus told him.

"What? I'm quiet and listening. What do you want me to do?" Potter nearly yelled.

"For starters you can adjust your volume because I can assure you from my position I can hear you quite well. Secondly, there is no need for your defensive posture. We are merely going to have a conversation." Severus said as calmly as possible. His cauldron was just about ready to boil over.

"Yeah you keep saying that but we both know I'm going to get lectured, smacked and sent to bed so why don't you just get it over with?" The brat ground out angrily.

No wonder he will not accept a speaking truce. He believes I'm just going to smack him and send him on his way with a fierce reprimand. I suppose I haven't shown him different in the past.

"From this moment on Mr. Potter I've decided we will talk before I administer any punishment. You will fully be able to defend yourself and be able to present as much evidence in your defense as you choose. Just know that I will be judge and jury in any case." He told the boy.

It looked as if the child was contemplating what he had said before he finally spoke.

"What does it matter what I say? You hate me and you'll just yell and smack me all the same." Potter said dejectedly.

Severus wasn't terribly shocked at this admission. He had spanked him before and he'd been upset with the boy.  He could not recall yelling at Potter only his stern way of speaking. Something deeper was going on here for the brat to be so upset. For some reason Severus felt moved to refute the child's claim.

"I do not hate you." He said plainly.

Potter looked at him with mouth agape, "You...you don't"? He asked skeptically.

"I do not like repeating myself but no I do not." Severus told him.

"But you did before right?" The child tried.

"It was misplaced," Severus told him with reluctance.

"Not hating me doesn't mean you like me anymore," the child said quietly.

"I could very well say the same to you," Severus said.

"Well I don't think I hate you but I'm also not sure I like you either," Potter sighed then braced himself for some reason.

"What are you doing? I'm not going to hit you," Severus told him appalled.

 The child relaxed slightly.

"Sorry, just a reflex I guess," Potter said.

"If you are going to receive a spanking from me it will always be on your bottom. Nowhere else and like I said before you will be able to speak your side of things," he said.

"Now as to liking or not liking; we'll have to work on it. I'm not a people person by nature and to be honest this will be difficult but I'm willing to find common ground on the matter. Do you agree to work on it as well Mr. Potter?" He asked Potter.

"Well I guess I could as long as you call me Harry. I'm in trouble when it's Mr. Potter." The child said cheekily.

"Oh but don't you remember? You are in trouble Mr. Potter." Severus reminded him with a smirk.

"You said I could defend myself," Potter rebounded looking nervous.

"Very well, you may begin your defense starting with why you disobeyed and ran from Draco this afternoon," Severus said calmly sitting back in his chair making himself comfortable.

*****

 Well this is definitely different. He's actually going to let me have my say. Does it really matter in the end though? I'm still going to get smacked no matter what I say.

"Well, at first I was just glad to be able to run about a little. Every time I transform I get really excited and I have all this energy that I just don't know what to do with," Harry started.

Snape nodded for him to continue.

"So Draco was taking me and I really had to go and there was no time to spare." Here Harry paused remembering that he had bitten Draco to get down.

"Go on," Snape said.

"Well, I sorta bit him to let me down. It was either that or an accident," Harry finished lamely.

Snape shifted in his seat. "That does not explain why you ran from him," he said.

"Well I was excited and I was just trying to get him to run after me. I was going to come right back. I just wanted to have a bit of fun. I haven't really been able to get out and about much lately," Harry said.

Snape looked like he was contemplating something for a moment before he said, "Is that your reasoning for putting yourself in danger?"

"I didn't think I was in danger," Harry pouted.

"Well you could explain where the cuts to your face came from," Snape said.

"Oh those were from Mrs. Norris. If I were big again I'd kick her a good one," he said grumpily.

"Pray tell, when did you encounter her?" Snape asked while steepling his fingers together.

"Well, when I ran from Draco I went and hid in this empty classroom. That's where I ran into Filch and that dumb cat. He was gonna take me down to his office and he set that fur ball on me but I got away. That's when you found me," Harry finished quietly looking away.

"Look at me Mr. Potter," Snape said.

Harry looked up.

"Do you think that you would have had the run in with Mr. Filch and his cat had you stayed with Mr. Malfoy?" The man asked.

"Probably not," Harry had to admit.

"Do you believe you would have received a spanking had you not disobeyed my rules and put yourself in danger?" The man further asked.

"No." Harry said quietly realizing he had made some mistakes today.

"Well, I have just one more question for you Mr. Potter," Snape said.

Harry looked at him waiting for it.

"Do you believe you've been punished enough for this transgression?" Snape finally got out.

"Huh?" Not the most elegant utterance but Harry was too shocked.

"I asked you to tell me whether or not you've been punished enough for this transgression," Snape repeated.

"I...I guess so," Harry stuttered out.

"Don't you think Mr. Malfoy deserves an apology?" Snape asked.

Harry struggled with that. The answer to that was probably yes if Harry wanted this conversation to be over anytime soon.

"I guess so but he said he wanted to have me put to sleep!" Harry tried to argue.

"After you bit him," Snape said.

"How'd you know that?" Harry asked.

"I have the means to know and it's best you know that now," the man replied smoothly.

Creepy that. Harry thought.

"You will apologize to Mr. Malfoy and you will write one hundred lines that say ‘I will not bite anyone unless they are a threat to my person'," Snape continued.

"That's it?" Harry asked stupidly.

"Who else to you think deserves an apology Mr. Potter?" Snape asked.

The only person he could be talking about is him. I did disobey his rules. This is really hard though. I don't want to apologize to the git who spanked me!

"I'm sorry sir for disobeying you," Harry got out without grinding his teeth.

"I realized before that I laid down a lot of ground rules and you may have been a bit overwhelmed. I did not put them in place to torment you. They are there to keep you out of trouble but mainly to keep you safe." Snape said.

"I understand I guess," Harry said.

"So the case of running away is closed now on to previous grievances."Snape said.

"Uggghhh," Harry said while falling over on the sofa.

It wasn't late but for some reason he was really tired and just wanted to go to bed.

"Mr. Potter we will finish our discussion now sit up." The potions master instructed.

Harry sat up making himself comfortable for the long stretch that would surely be another hour of lecturing.

*****

Talking civilly with Potter wasn't as horrible as Severus once thought. They were speaking about his abominable behavior so it couldn't get any worse.

"The only thing that remains for us to speak about was your little tantrum you threw this morning," Severus stated.

"Do we need to? You said you weren't angry for that anymore," the child whined slightly.

"I am no longer angry. We are talking about it so that future incidents can be averted," Severus told him.

"I want you to take a moment to think back on why you felt the need to yell and scream and tear out of the room like a bat," Severus said.

"It was you..." the child started to say before Severus interrupted.

"Regardless just sit still and think for a moment." He told him.

Severus gave him a few moments to contemplate his actions.

"You may speak now," Severus said.

"I just got really angry and I didn't know what to do. I couldn't really control it I don't think. I just wanted to run away," Potter said quietly.

"I see. I am as much to blame for that I suppose. I spoke harshly," and that was all Severus would say in apology.

The child nodded that he accepted that.

"Now to the punishment," Severus said.

"What? You just said that you were just as much to blame!" Potter screeched standing up on the sofa pointing an accusing finger at Severus.

He cannot control his emotions. I suppose that would be understandable. Still he needs to learn control.

"Potter, go stand in that corner," Severus told him calmly.

"No, I won't!" Potter said as he quickly stood up on the sofa and stamped his foot.

Severus grabbed him up quickly landing three swift swats to the child's covered bottom then put him on his feet.

"What did I say about disobedience Potter?" Severus asked while walking the child over to the corner.

"Not to?" The child asked a bit breathless.

"And that you would receive a spanking if you did. Now you will stand here and get yourself under control. When you can comport yourself as a rational thinking person we will continue our conversation. Do you understand?" Severus asked.

"Yes sir." Potter said on a sniffle.

Severus left him to go back and sit in his chair. This was tiresome. Earlier it felt as though they were getting somewhere. Potter really needed to do something about his attitude. It was probably left up to Severus to correct it though.

Severus cast Tempus to see how much time had gone by. Three minutes wasn't enough time apparently because Potter was sniffling and rubbing his face and bottom at the same time.

He picked up his favorite potions magazine and began perusing the articles within.

Five minutes later the child was finally quiet and apparently tired because he was leaning into the wall.

"You may come over here now Potter," Severus told him.

The child walked over very slowly and took some effort to climb up on the sofa.

"Why do you think I asked you to go stand in the corner?" Severus asked him.

"I dunno." Potter said quietly.

"Yes you do, now think about it a moment. What were you doing before I asked you to go over there?" Severus asked.

"Uh...I was standing on the sofa and tellin you somethin," He stated.

"And you were stamping your foot and screeching like a banshee in my face," Severus said.

"Well you were gonna smack me again and you did," Potter reasoned.

"Only because you would not go to the corner. Had you simply gone over there you would have avoided the spanking," Severus said.

"Oh,"

"Indeed," Severus replied.

"From now on when you feel angered you are to count back from one hundred until you are able to control yourself," Severus told him.

He received a nod for this and let it go at that.

"Now before I was interrupted so rudely I was going to tell you that your punishment would be more lines but I think a page essay on how to control your temper would be more prudent. Also we will be having a reflection time before bedtime each evening. I do this already but I feel it would be good for you as well," Severus said.

"Is this acceptable Potter?" He asked the droopy eyed child.

"I guess so." Potter said.

"Do you find fault anywhere in my way of thinking?" Severus asked him.

The child made a face as if to say something then said, "No sir."

"Good. Now I do believe it is time for you to be going to bed. Off with you." Severus told him.

Potter looked hesitant then wriggled off the sofa. He walked a bit of the way towards his room then stopped and turned back.

"Would you spell the nightlight on in my room?" He asked.

Severus turned from his magazine that he'd picked up when the child got up.

"Are you afraid of the dark?" Severus asked him.

"No!" The child said then ran to his room.

I have a feeling I will not have another peaceful night for the rest of this school term. Severus thought.

With a sigh he got up to go address the child's issues with the dark.

*****

Harry dove under the covers of his new bed and wriggled to the center with his pillow.

Stupid Snape! He gets to make all the rules and I have to do whatever he says. Then he won't do anything for me. Stupid Git!

He didn't want to cry but it couldn't be helped. It'd been a roller coaster of a day and who knew what tomorrow would be like.

The door to his room opened and Harry looked up to see his dreaded guardian.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just wanted the light on!" He said while burying himself under his covers and pillows.

From under his shelter Harry could see the light on his nightstand come on.

"I suppose the new accommodations need getting used to and one wouldn't want to bump into objects in the night should one have to use the restroom." Snape said as he sat on Harry's bed.

 Harry moved away when the bed dipped for the man.

"This has all been a bit much for you," the man started, "but I wasn't lying when I said I was willing to work on a ...truce if you will...Harry." Snape said.

Harry was shocked. The man had never called him by his first name before. He sat up slowly and pulled the sheets down.

"I don't punish you because I enjoy it. I want you to grow to be a rational thinking adult. You have to do that by controlling your emotions and speaking your mind with patience. Do you understand?" Snape asked.

Harry did and he nodded his head.

"Words Mr. Potter." Snape said without heat.

"Yes sir. I understand now." Harry told him.

"Good, now go to sleep. We'll have another long day tomorrow I'm sure. Hopefully without adventure if possible." The man said while patting Harry's head.

Then it seemed as if he realized what he was doing and he quickly got up.

"Good night Potter. I will wake you at the proper time tomorrow," the man said before leaving Harry's room.

Too confused to think anything of the head pat Harry laid down to get more comfortable.

Hopefully there would be adventures tomorrow. Only Snape would wish a day without adventure.

One adventure Harry looked forward to was getting even with a certain mangy cat. He went to sleep with a smile on his face.

*****

Severus walked to his sitting room and picked up the magazine he'd previously abandoned.  He then summoned his favorite wine and glass to have with his reading material. He was getting quite comfortable when his floo flared to life.

It was the headmaster. "Severus may I come through?" The man asked.

"Certainly Headmaster." Severus told him.

"Thank you and you know you are to call me Albus in private," he said .

The man came through and took his usual seat there in front of the fire next to Severus.

"I've come to see how things are going with you and your new young charge." The man asked.

Ah...a report. He's come to see if I've killed the brat. As well I should have for the grief he's caused me. Despite all that things may be looking up from here.

"He's still living and breathing as you saw at dinner." Severus said.

Albus chuckled, "Of course dear boy. I merely came to inquire whether or not you are in need of anything."

You've just come to ruin my quiet time. You want me to spill my spleen and tell you how miserable I am. I think you find amusement in it. Well not tonight sir. Though I could equally turn the tables I think.

"I do have a question you could possibly answer." Severus said.

"Ask away. I am at your disposal," Albus replied.

"What do you know of Potter's relatives?" Severus asked.

The twinkle left the man's eyes for a moment before he sat up in his seat to put his hands together.

"That is a long story indeed. One I'm not sure could be told in its entirety unfortunately. Not unless you ask all parties involved. I can say this much though, they have no love or like for anything beyond the norm of an average muggle." Albus said in his manner of speaking riddles.

"I'm not sure what you mean Headmaster." Severus said despite having the niggling feeling he knew exactly what the man had meant.

"Do you recall the conversation we had not too long ago where I told you that Mr. Potter and yourself have quite a bit in common?" Albus asked.

Severus nodded. He did recall and the wine he had drunk was churning in his stomach at the implications of what Albus was saying.

"Why would you send him there then?" Severus asked knowing the man had a reason for everything.

"Bloodwards." Albus simply stated.

"There was no other way?" Severus asked.

"I would not have sent him there had there been another option." Albus told him.

Severus rotated the wine in his glass. "What happens when the school year is over? Will he need to return to them?" Severus asked.

"Possibly, though we may need to make new arrangements. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Albus told him.

"Till then do try to get along." Albus admonished.

Offended Severus spoke somewhat icily, "I'll have you know Albus that the boy and I are on speaking terms. I no longer dislike him as much as I did before. He's disobeyed me a few times today and we've already dealt with it."

"Well, that is good news then. It's good that the two of you can look past your previous differences." Albus told him.

"Now I feel I should tell you of a different matter. Young Mr. Malfoy has agreed to spy for the Order." Albus said.

Severus dropped his glass and it crashed into hundreds of pieces on the castle floor.

"Are you out of your mind?!" Severus roared.

"Severus, calm yourself please and let me explain." The man said while waving his wand to place a silencing spell over them.

Severus sat but was on the edge of his seat staring at the old fool in front of him.

Not Draco. Not my godson. I was so proud and relieved when he decided to switch sides. How can I keep him safe when he'll be in mortal danger every minute?

 "He will only do so through correspondence. I've already devised a plan that will keep him at school over the winter holidays. He will be completely safe Severus." The man said slowly.

Severus gave a sigh of relief.

Draco was an average Occlumens but there was no way he could put up with an assault on his mind from the Dark lord.

"He could still be in danger though. There are many would be initiates within my own house I'm ashamed to say. One wrong move and Draco could be taken up by any of them and shipped off to the Dark lord himself." Severus said.

"That is why Draco will report to you his findings. You will tell him what to do to keep himself safe." Albus said.

"I just don't see what the need is quite frankly. His only correspondence would have to be with his Father. Lucius does not give that kind of information to the boy." Severus tried to plead.

"Every little bit helps." Albus told him.

"Do I not keep you informed enough?" Severus asked.

"Certainly my boy but the body still needs eyes and ears should the hands be cut off." Albus said.

Severus was flabbergasted. He saw where this conversation was going. Nowhere, that's where.

"I understand Headmaster." Severus said reluctantly.

"Good, good. Now I believe I am ready for my nightcap. I shall bid you a good night Severus." Albus said while walking to the floo. He threw the powder in and was gone without a glance backwards.

What will come from letters? Severus thought.

He was getting nervous over nothing. No one would reveal anything through letters. It was too risky.

He waved his wand to clear up his shattered wine glass and left the room to turn in for the night.

This would be a very long semester. This day alone had felt as though it added years to his life.

Well, hopefully tomorrow will be without the hustle and bustle of today. Severus pleaded from within his mind to the universe as he spelled the lights off.

 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry it took so long to those who were waiting. I wasn't too sure about the flow of this chapter. Please tell me what you think! Oh and for those who were wondering, the adoption will be coming in the next couple of chapters.
Corner Time by Quipped to Death
Author's Notes:
Lots of Time in the Corner.

Waking Potter up in the morning certainly was a daunting task. Severus nearly swatted the child's bottom when he rolled over onto his belly at his first command to get up. Never one to give up Severus marched over from the doorway and stopped just at the foot of the bed.

"Mr. Potter if you do not get up by the time I finish counting to 10 you will regret it. 1...2...3...4...5..., I am not in the habit of kidding Mr. Potter.

Harry sat up and rubbed at his eyes. 6...7...

"I'm awake." The child said petulantly.

"You are not out of your bed young man. You know I do not like repeating myself."

"Fine, I'll get up." Potter said while throwing his covers off and sliding his body over the side of the bed much like a snake.

"Must you be so laggard in the morning?" Severus asked him with a sneer. Really the boy was constantly making them late.

"What?"

"I will give you permission to look it up in one of my dictionaries later Potter for now get dressed."

This was exasperating. Couldn't Potter just get himself up and ready for the day? This would certainly not be routine. Severus would see to that.

"Why can't you just tell me what it means?" The child asked looking upset.

"Never mind just get ready for breakfast."

"Are we going to the Great Hall for breakfast?" Potter asked while digging out his clothes from his drawer.

"Not if you don't hurry up."

With that Severus left the boy to himself for a few minutes. He needed to get a few notes together for his 7th year class. He was sorting said notes when Potter came out of his bedroom. Severus turned to hand the boy his collar. He nearly dropped everything he was holding.

"Potter, what are you wearing?"

"My clothes... I think." He answered readily enough his face turning red at the scrutiny.

He was wearing plaid pants that were mainly green and a red t-shirt that had a snitch flying around the child's upper torso. It was distracting to say the least.

"Go put something else on." Severus ordered.

"Everything's pretty much like this and I like this outfit the best." He said stubbornly.

They didn't have time to argue about it. It was time to go and no one would see that hideous outfit because the boy would be in his other form.

"Very well. When we return this afternoon we will go through your wardrobe and sort your wardrobe. Now put on your collar we need to go." Severus said as he handed the boy his collar.

Potter slipped it over his head and shrunk to his smaller form.

"Good boy lets go."

Severus tucked his scrolls into his inner robes and then bent to pick the small wolf up. The boy wasn't happy about being carried but Severus wanted to get to the Great Hall before the rest of the school body.

They arrived well before the usual rush and Severus put the boy on the floor by his chair. In the morning there wasn't a wait for the meal. It appeared when someone sat down. The boy's food was there as well. Severus tucked into his porridge and sausage when the post flew in. His daily newspaper dropped next to him. Scanning the front page he nearly choked at the main headline.

Harry Potter Deathly Ill! 

Severus looked around to see what the reaction of the Hall was. Children were just sitting down to eat and began murmuring to each other quietly. Undoubtedly they were already talking about the headlines.

Severus quickly scanned over the story.

    [There have been reports that The Boy Who Lived is on his deathbed. He hasn't been at Hogwarts since the start of school and there are those that believe that the boy has been kidnapped or worse dead. Anonymous persons at the school confirm that he is not in attendance and that the headmaster himself at the beginning of the term deemed Potter to be gravely ill. The Ministry reports that they have no information to give and that everything is strictly confidential. Which leads this reporter to believe the worst.]

On and on the ridiculous story went signed by none other than that horrible woman Rita Skeeter. It was all based on speculation and anonymous interviews. Was there no way to regulate that woman's idiocy?

Severus folded the paper and continued his meal. No need to show any outward alarm. This meant nothing. She was merely looking to stir the cauldron that was the Wizarding World.

Finishing his meal, Severus started on his cup of tea. He casually glanced at the Headmaster to gauge his reaction.

Nothing but twinkling eyes of course.

"Severus if I may have a word or two with you in my office later?" The Headmaster called down from the middle of the table.

 "Certainly Headmaster as soon as my first class is finished."

"That would be excellent and I'm certain a well selected student could watch your familiar for you at that time."

"One comes to mind." Severus replied.

 "Wonderful, I'll see you then." The headmaster said while leaving the table.

Surely nothing would change. Their situation was the same regardless of what the news said. For some reason he had a bad feeling about this meeting later with Dumbledore.

*****

Class was boring once again. Harry was tired of sleeping all the time. All he wanted to do was run around or at least do something under the stupid desk. The space was big enough for him to sit there in his kid body.

He could read a book, maybe do some wand practice or Merlin forbid start those ridiculous lines Snape assigned him. He just needed something to do.

Everyone knew he was supposed to be Snape's familiar. So why couldn't he at least walk out and about in the classroom?

That's what Snape was doing right now. He'd already lectured and was moving around in the room criticizing each cauldron as he passed.

Harry wondered if he would be noticed sneaking out from beneath the desk to just stretch. He poked his head out to see if the coast was clear. When out of nowhere...

"What do you think you're doing young man?" A low voice asked from above. Without sniffing Harry knew who it was. Who else would dream of coming behind Snape's desk?

He looked up at the man and shook his head back and forth to imply ‘No where.'

"Get back to your spot Felan," Snape said while pointing under the desk.

Harry stepped back the few paces he'd taken.

"Stay!" Snape ordered him like a dog.

He had some nerve embarrassing him like that. It really was no different than if he was in class though if Harry thought about it.

He was upset and showed it by growling.

Snape merely cast a Silencio on him.

Humph.

Harry wasn't too happy with that and began an assault of his own.

While one wouldn't normally think head butting shins was a good way of getting even, it was all Harry could come up with at the moment.

Harry kept at it for a minute or so till he realized that he wasn't bothering Snape. The man kept scribbling away overhead.

In for a Knut in for a Galleon, Harry thought. He caught up a bit of Snape's pant leg and started chewing at it like a real puppy would.

"If you are quite finished..." Snape spoke in a cool voice.

  Not one of my brighter ideas.

"You can bottle your potions and leave them on my desk." Snape finished.

Harry would have let out a sigh of relief but something told him the first half of that statement was directed at him as well.

Snape waited till all the students had left before he bent his head below his desk and picked his ward up by the scruff of the neck. He planted Harry on his desk then shot several spells towards the classroom door.

"You have my attention you little beast." Snape said while pulling the collar over Harry's head.

Now that he had Snape's attention he didn't know where to start.

"You wanted to tell me something Potter?" Snape asked with a hint of sarcasm.

"I'm...I'm bored and I'm tired of sleeping. I have nothing to do all day," Harry said with a bit of a whine. He realized this and turned a bit red at the childish behavior.

"That gives you the right to attack me?" Snape said with a snarl.

"I told you I had to think of something while we adjust to these new arrangements. Need I remind you that had you been thinking like a reasonable person at the beginning of this term you would be in class with your grubby little friend's right this moment instead of my company?" Snape scolded.

"No," Harry said his voice pitched a bit higher feeling tears coming on.

He wouldn't cry. He'd cried too much lately. This man wouldn't make him cry again. He obviously didn't care about him just like the Dursleys. Harry was an obligation to them. Something forced on them. Now he was forced on this man, his enemy since his first day here at Hogwarts.

Harry looked down at his shoes which were dangling over the desk. Snape sat in his chair in front of him with his arms crossed.

"If you have nothing to say Potter than you will go stand in the corner until I say otherwise." Snape said while placing Harry on the ground.

Harry walked over to the corner where the shelves were lined against one side. There were things looking at him from those jars so he closed his eyes.

He knew Snape wanted an apology but he wasn't in the mood to give one. The bastard had pushed his bad decisions in his face again. Harry knew he'd done wrong and he was living with the consequences. What else could he do?

Feeling resigned to standing in the corner for awhile Harry leaned his forehead against the cool stone wall.

"Stand up straight Potter!" Snape demanded from his desk.

Snape would have to let him back over when the next class came in which couldn't be too long from now. Harry could wait till then.

A knock came at the door to the dungeon classroom. Snape cast some unlocking charms and someone came in.

"Have a seat Draco and I'll be with you in a moment." Harry heard Snape say while scribbling away at more paper.

"In the corner again Potter? Seems you are perpetually in some kind of trouble." Malfoy said with a snicker.

Harry waited to see if Snape would say anything.

He said nothing just kept at whatever he was doing.

"What was it this time Potter? Did you wet your pants?" Draco taunted.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Harry shot back.

"Did little Potter get another smacking?"

"No I didn't, so there. Leave me alone!" Harry shouted.

"Touchy little thing aren't you?" Draco sneered.

"Why you stupid git... Harry said while turning around ready to fight.

"Enough!" Snape roared.

"Potter you are in the corner. You are not to speak. You are to contemplate why you are there and what you need to do to get out of it." Snape directed at him.

He then turned on Draco.

"Draco I did not give you leave to speak to Potter. Obviously he is in trouble and is serving a punishment I doled out. If you interfere in that again you will find yourself in a similar situation. Turn around Potter." At the last Snape directed to him.

Harry turned around muttering on the unfairness of it all.

"And be quiet," Snape said

*****

Severus needed to get to the Headmaster's office. He'd chosen Draco to watch the boy but it may not have been one of his greater ideas. He cast a silencing spell over the two of them.

"I need for you to watch Potter while I go meet with the Headmaster." Severus started.

"What? No thank you."

"I wasn't asking I'm telling you Draco and don't push my patience on this. I have none left to spare after a few days with that child."

"He's fifteen for Merlin's sake, he can watch himself." Draco complained.

"He was fifteen till the accident. Right now he's around the age of five with his fifteen year old memories. It is difficult for him to differentiate the two. He's mostly a five year old though." Severus explained.

"I've never been around a small child before for any length of time and this is Potter we're talking about. You know we've been at each other's throats since first year. I would sooner strangle him." Draco stated hotly.

"Draco. Grow up." Severus told him somewhat angered.

The boy looked offended.

"I must go now. Potter will remain in the corner for five more minutes. Then you may take him down to my quarters and get him started on the lines he owes me. They're on the dining table. You may use Weeble to fetch study material from your dorm or you may read selections from the bottom book shelves." Severus told the boy.

He lifted the silencing spell.

"Potter turn around." Severus directed the boy.

"I must visit with the Headmaster. It will be for an hour or so. You will do as Draco says. Do not repeat the stunt you pulled with him before." Severus told him.

Surprisingly the boy nodded his head.

"I've instructed him that you will stand there another five minutes and then you will head to the quarters. There you will start your lines. Do you understand Potter?" Severus asked him.

"Yes sir." The boy said.

"Here is his transformation collar. He must have it on before you leave this room. If he misbehaves you have the right to put him in the corner, nothing more. Do not taunt him Draco." Severus finished.

"Turn back around Potter." Severus instructed.

"Transformation?" Draco asked.

Severus had not told Draco that Potter was an Animagi who was pretending to be his familiar.

"Draco meet Falen." Severus said while pointing at Potter.

Draco looked down at his hand and seemed to be recalling a previous incident.

"When I come back for lunch I expect to hear what you thought during this time of reflection." Severus told directed at Potter.

With the lecturing finished Severus headed out the door to what felt like certain doom.

*****

How could he leave me in my enemy's hands? Harry wondered.

"Alright Potter that's five minutes you can come out now," Malfoy said.

Harry turned around and walked over cautiously towards him.

"What did you do anyway?" The blond boy asked.

"None of you business." Harry told him flatly.

"It's not nice to be rude to your elders Potter. Maybe you should have a bit more time in the corner." Malfoy said while pretending to inspect his finger nails.

"We're the same age and you can't make me." Harry doubted that as soon as he said it. Malfoy was much bigger than him now.

"Didn't you hear the Professor just now? If you misbehave I can put you in the corner." Malfoy said with a smirk.

"I don't want to. I want to start my lines!

That wasn't true but Harry didn't want to be in this situation anymore.

"I bet you do. Get in the corner Potter," Malfoy commanded.

"Never!"

With that Harry decided to run for it.  He went under the student desks and tried to make it to Snape's office. The door was standing wide open. He nearly made it before a spell came whizzing toward him. His legs locked and he went down bumping his head on the stone floor.

"Are you out of your mind?" Malfoy screeched while running up panting. He put his hands on his knees and looked down on Harry.

 Being petrified left you without the ability to respond so Harry just blinked his response which was rather rude in his head.

"Severus' office is highly warded. You would've been knocked senseless then I would've been in for the hiding of my life.

Snape wouldn't spank The Prince of Slytherin, not in a million years.  Harry thought.

"Let's just go to the quarters before you get us both killed." Malfoy said while lifting the spell on Harry.

Harry got up and rubbed the back of his head and found a bruise forming there.

"Here you go Potter." Malfoy said as he handed him his collar.

Harry slipped it over his head and melted down into his smaller form. Malfoy picked him up and headed out the door.

"If you bite me again Felan I'll conjure a muzzle and leash before you can say ‘woof' do you hear me?" Malfoy threatened.

Harry understood but he barked just the same.

Let him try to figure that out the git.

*****

Severus was sitting in front of the Headmaster's desk with a cup of tea and a scone that the old fool had floated there against Severus' wishes.

"What did you want to see me about Headmaster?" Severus asked while putting the sugary stuff to the side.

"I take it you read the newspaper this morning?" The man started.

Severus nodded. Of course he'd seen it. Every literate wizard and witch in the country had seen it.

"The Minister is taking it upon himself to see to it personally to check on young Mr. Potter. He will be dropping by here tomorrow what with it being the weekend and all." Albus started.

That was no great surprise. Severus had figured it would be something of this magnitude.

"Seeing as our young friend is not ill at all I will have to explain the situation and what we are doing to rectify Harry's problem."

"There is nothing to rectify his problem besides natural growth." Severus reminded him.

"As we both know but in order to keep the cards in our favor a different explanation for the ministry is in order."

This would be another conspiracy. The Headmaster wanted to cover up that the brat was for all purposes a small child again. If the Ministry knew the information could be leaked and the Dark Lord would know of the child's weakness. It was best to hide the child as long as possible.

"I agree Headmaster but I fail to see where I am concerned." Severus said.

"The Minister will want to see Harry of course. I will tell him the boy is on the mend. Should the Minister find out otherwise other arrangements will have to be made."

"Other arrangements?" Severus asked.

"Certainly, Harry will have to be adopted or the Ministry will feel the desire to take it upon itself to become his guardian. The sooner we have him tucked away the least damage the Ministry can do to the Order's plans."

All of this is to protect your precious weapon Albus? Who will you send the boy to now?

It didn't really concern Severus who the boy went to in the end. He knew he would only have to care for him till the end of the school year. He ignored the feeling of heaviness sitting on his chest.

"I just wanted to make sure you were prepared for the Ministers arrival," Albus continued.  

"Very well sir. Was there anything else?"

"How are things going between you and your young charge?"

How are things going? He's driving me insane and you know it.

"He is a nuisance and a menace. I have no free time to myself. I can think of nothing for him to do during the daytime. He's probably losing his mind as well. He attacked me today while in his other form."

Severus realized he was nearly shouting and shut his mouth glaring at the man in front of him who appeared to be laughing silently.

"Severus I would say you have two very willing students who would watch young Harry when they have free periods.  Ms. Granger could tell you hundreds of things Harry could do while you are busy in class. Come to think of it I will come down later and put a nice play room next to your classroom that will be quite hidden. Then Harry will be out of your hair." Albus said.

That could just work. It would certainly keep the brat busy so he could get some work accomplished. He'd have to see that this playroom wasn't just for playing but learning as well. No ward of Severus Snape would be a dunderhead, even if he was the son of James Potter.

"Thank you Headmaster. That will go a long way in securing my sanity."

"You're welcome my boy. Now I do believe you should go and check up on the boys and see if Mr. Malfoy was a good choice to leave Harry with."

I didn't tell him I'd left him with Draco. Are my shields down? Severus checked. His shields were as high as if he were with the Dark Lord himself. Not that he needed to hide from Dumbledore but some things were his alone.

He didn't think too long on it. Dumbledore had his ways of knowing things that went on in the castle.

"I trust Draco not to harm the boy. He would know I would punish him severely if he went against my wishes."

Dumbledore sat there with a smile on his face.

"Severus can you imagine listening to anyone should you be put in charge of a five year old James Potter?"

Severus paled. Leaving Potter in Draco's care may not have been a bright idea after all.

"I believe I'll be going Headmaster."

The man nodded.

"Have a good afternoon Severus. I will send a message before the Minister arrives.

Severus left hoping the two boys hadn't killed each other.

*****

Harry sat in a seat at the dining table. He had to sit on his knees in able to write properly. Snape had set up everything already. He had one hundred lines of ‘I will take time to control my temper and think before I speak.' The quill was extremely hard to manage in his smaller hand. He'd gotten ten lines finished before he decided that he'd had enough.

"I'm not doing this anymore!" He said while throwing the quill down.

Malfoy was sitting on the sofa studying Transfiguration. He put his book down to look over at Harry.

"It makes no difference to me. You can go stand in the corner until you want to do them." Malfoy said indifferently.

"No I won't!"

Harry fled to his bedroom and frantically looked for a place to hide. He dove under the bed thinking Malfoy wouldn't stoop to looking there.

He heard footsteps and a sigh coming from the doorway.

"Look Potter I'm just doing what I'm told. Come out and keep at those lines so we both stay out of trouble." Malfoy said with somewhat of a whine.

Harry kept quiet. Maybe he'd give up and go away.

Grey eyes peeked at him from his exit.

"Let's go Potter. Don't make me drag you out from under there. You'll regret it."

Harry didn't doubt that but refused based on principle. This was his enemy after all.

"Fine have it your way." Malfoy said as he reached his long arm in to drag Harry out.

Harry tried to fight him off but failed due to his smaller body.

Malfoy dragged him into the sitting room and stuck him in what Harry was coming to think of as ‘His corner.'

"Just so you don't get any funny ideas Potter." Malfoy said as he waved a sticking charm over Harry.

He was stuck, literally to the wall. It was just his midsection though so it wasn't that bad but it didn't keep Harry from voicing his displeasure.

"Let me out of this. I don't like this. I'm gonna tell on you. Let me go!" Harry screamed while kicking at the wall.

"Shut up Potter. I can't study with you yelling. Just stand there like a good little boy and I'll let you get back to your lines."

"No let me out!" Harry yelled. To his surprise tears began to leak from his eyes.

He continued to kick and scream while Malfoy just ignored him. Then he couldn't scream anymore because the prat cast a silencing spell on him.

Well that didn't mean he had to stop his visual displeasure. He continued attacking at the wall when...

"What is going on here!" Snape demanded from the doorway.

"He was disobedient!" Malfoy shouted while pointing at Harry.

"I did not give you permission to stick him to the wall." Snape said as he walked over and waved a finite over Harry.

Harry collapsed from the wall and crumpled into a ball to hide his tears. Snape came over and picked him up. He carried him over to his favorite chair and sat Harry in his lap rubbing soothing circles on his back.

"There now Potter we'll settle this. Now Draco explain what happened from the time that I left you. Know that I will know if you are lying." Snape said.

"Well he didn't want to come with me at first. After an argument we finally got down here. Then I had him start his lines. He didn't want to do that either and I had to chase him from his rooms and stick him in the corner. He would have run again had I not permanently stuck him there. Then he started screeching so I cast a Silencio to shut him up. That is when you arrived Sir." Draco finished.

"Very well Draco you may leave. I will be calling on you from time to time to care for Mr. Potter. It would behoove you to treat each other with respect or at the very least be cordial to each other." Snape said to the both of them.

"May I leave sir? I do have o.w.l.s to study for." Malfoy asked.

"Yes, you may come by in the evenings if you have any questions about your study material. Just notify me first."

"Thank you sir." Malfoy said while standing and gathering his things.

He turned before he got to the door.

"Bye Potter. Try not to get put in the corner again." Malfoy said while slipping out the door.

No chance for Harry to remark to that. So he stuck his tongue out at him even though he wouldn't have seen it.

"That is very rude Potter stick that back in your mouth." Snape said.

Harry did so but opened his mouth to speak. Snape beat him to it.

"Now tell me you version of events."

Harry told him everything. He even told him about Malfoy petrifying him. He didn't however tell him about him throwing a tantrum. He just told him that he'd wanted to stop and Malfoy wouldn't let him, which was somewhat true.

"Why didn't you keep at your lines?" Snape asked.

"My hand hurt and the quill is too big." Harry complained.

 "Maybe if you behave tomorrow I'll reduce your punishment. How does that sound?" Snape asked.

Is this a trick? Who is this man and what has he done with Snape?

"I'll be good." Harry told him.

"We'll see." Snape said.

Snape had been rubbing circles on his back. He'd moved to ruffle Harry's hair at his last statement. Harry winced when he rubbed the bump from his fall.

 "I take it that this bump is from when you were petrified?" Snape asked.

"Yes sir."

Snape dug in his robes to pull out a small bottle.

"Here drink this. It will bring the swelling down and should ease the pain."

Harry drank it and his head felt immensely better.

"Thank you."

"It seems that Mr. Malfoy will need to spend some time in the corner himself don't you think Harry?"

Snape had said his first name. Harry felt a warm feeling for it. Maybe Snape cared just a little bit after all?

"Yes sir he should. Maybe he should be stuck there like me too." Harry tried to advise him.

"Rightly so. Let's just tell him later after his potions class today." Snape said.

Harry grinned up at the man. What sweet justice. This was probably a first. The Prince of Slytherin would finally be getting some just desserts.

"By the by Potter the Headmaster has set up something of a surprise for you." Snape said.

"Really? What kind of surprise?" Harry asked excited.

"If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise would it?"

"I guess not." Harry pouted.

"Well you'll find out after lunch which we are certainly almost late for." Snape said while handing over Harry's collar.

He slipped it over his head and Snape carried him through the halls to lunch.

He believed me and Malfoy's gonna be in trouble!. This has been a pretty good day so far in my books.  Harry thought happily.

 

 

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry for taking so long to update. I hope people out there still like this story. I edited the first three chapters so hopefully they're not such a mess anymore. Enjoy!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1713