What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159966 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 12 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
The first anniversary of James' death/defeat of He-Who-Must-Must-Not-Be-Named and a change in Lily and Severus' relationship...

“When term started again, I had far less time to spend with you and your mother. I had duties to perform as professor, such as overseeing any number of detentions. I was also required to brew potions for Madame Pomfrey, aid in the supervision of Quidditch matches, and chaperone Hogsmeade visits. As you know, this takes a great deal of time. That year, Professor Dumbledore decided I should also become acquainted with the duties of the Head of House. All of the time spent with these duties meant I only had one or two, truly free, days of months. These were always spent with you and your mother.” Severus explained.

“Given the fact I had such little free time, your mother went out of her way to make those days pleasant for me. Mostly this meant letting me read for pleasure, watch mind-numbing television, or play with you, depending. There was never talk of school or anything else of import. Those matters were dealt with in our frequent letters, with one major exception: the ceremony marking the first anniversary of James’ death.”

~*~*~*~*~

Severus stretched his long legs along the sofa as Lily disappeared to put Harry down for his nap. He propped open a book on his lap. His long hair hung down into his face, almost obscuring it from view. He had abandoned his waistcoat moments before. It currently was neatly folded over the armrest of the chair by the door.  He had opened the top two buttons of his crisp white button up shirt at some point. His black trouser legs were stretched out along the sofa ending in surprisingly un-socked feet.

In their many years of friendship there were only a few times Lily could ever remember seeing Severus’ toes. Most, if not all, of these times involved playing in water. Now, here he was sprawled out along her couch his slightly hairy toes for all the world to see. Lily smiled, softly at the sight. She’d take that as a sign of just how comfortable he was here.

She crossed the room and plucked the Afghan from the back of the sofa taking special care to cover Severus’ feet. Severus merely quirked an eyebrow at the action.

Lily shrugged. “We can’t have the Potions Master getting ill. Who else would torture the first year so thoroughly?”

Severus smirked at the comment and let his eyes fall back to his reading. Lily sat on the couch settling in beside Severus. The wizard shifted to allow her more room. After a few minutes both settled into a comfortable position. Lily rested her head on his chest. Severus moved one arm to wraparound Lily while the other continue to support his book.

“What are you reading Sev?” Lily asked after several moments of silence.

“A rather onerous tomb on potions from the 14th century. One of my seventh years is arguing the principles of the experiments held within are sound.  Even if this has been constantly disproven for the last several centuries. Seeing as I was unfamiliar with the work, I thought it best to read it before setting a dunderhead to scrubbing cauldrons for the next month for wasting my time.” Severus explained.

“Why would the student fight so hard for this work if everything has been disproven?” Lily asked looking up at Severus.

“It was written by the nitwits however many great uncles or some such rubbish. The child is trying to restore the family honor.” Severus answered.

Lily paused, “Is there anything of interest so far?”

Severus groaned. “Very little. What little trinkets of interest I have stumbled across have either been ignored, or been so wrong in their interpretation I am tempted to break into the Ministry and find a Time-Turner to prevent the authors parents from procreating to spare the world such idiocy.”

“Sev,” Lily exclaimed, softly smacking his chest. “It really can’t be that bad.”

“Really? Listen to this….” Severus continued to read, even after Lily’s breath had slowed and she had slipped into a deep peaceful sleep.

Lily groaned sometime later, “What time is it?”

“Half three,” Severus said turning the page of his book.

“How long was I asleep,” Lily asked.

“A little over an hour,” Severus said neutrally.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” She said sitting up.

“It seemed like you could use some rest.” Severus said shrugging.

He let out a small groan as pins and needles attacked him as blood flow returned to his arm and shoulder.

“Any messages,” Lily asked.

“There was,” he confirmed turning the page.

Lily looked at him surprised. “From whom?”

“The Ministry judging from the seal, what they want I cannot tell you.” Severus said slipping a ribbon and between the pages to mark his place. “The letter is on the coffee table.”

Lily leaned over just enough to reach before returning to her spot at Severus’ side. She broke the seal of the heavy letter. She quickly scanned over the first two documents before slowing on the third.

“What is it Lily?” Severus asked softly. He had wondered what the Ministry would want with his friend.

“They want to hold a memorial service for James on Halloween, to mark the first anniversary of his death, the defeat of Voldemort.”  She ignored the cringe she felt pass through Severus at the sound of the name.  “These are the plan so far. They have people they want to speak, the Minister, Sirius, Dumbledore, and me.  They want Harry there as well. Yes, let’s not forget The-Boy-Who-Lived. He’s never going to get past that stupid title.” Lily’s tone went from sad to angry at the final statement.

“To those who don’t know him, no, he will always be The-Boy-Who-Lived. That does not however mean we have to support people treating him differently because of it. To us, Black, Lupin, Minerva, and the Headmaster, he will simply be Harry. He always will be.” Severus reassured.

Lily sighed, “I know. I want Harry to be there. He should be there to honor his father, but he is so young. How is he going to handle that? The press is going to be there. He doesn’t spend that much time around groups of people. The trip to the store or the park is probably the biggest group of people he’s been around.”

Severus scoffed. “You’re worried about a Potters reaction to an audience? Harry will be fine. I’m sure.”

“And if he isn’t?” Lily asked back.

“You mean if he cries, tries to hide, or any such nonsense?” Severus asked.

Lily nodded.

“Then it’s fine. He’s a toddler it would be totally within the standards of behavior for somebody his age, especially in a new or stressful situation. The best you can try to do is make it less traumatic. Keep people he knows close by, Black and Lupin.”

“And you,” Lily added.

“Lily I don’t…”

“No, Sev. I need you there. I don’t think I could make it through without you. Please.” Lily begged.

Severus frowned. He had no desire to let his friend down, but feared the consequences of saying “yes.” “You know my presence will raise a good deal of questions.”

“I don’t care,” Lily told him.

“There will undoubtedly be questions about it not only there, but in the press.” Severus pointed out.

“I don’t care. I don’t care. I don’t care. Let them think whatever they want to. You are my friend and if I want you there they will have to let you, or I won’t be. It’s simple as that.” Lily said, a firm nod of her head.

“Indeed.” Severus agreed. “I fear for life the Ministry official who tries to tell you otherwise. Now what other details does that contain?”

They talked about the Ministry plans for well over an hour, only stopping when Harry awoke from his nap. Lily sent a reply back that evening with her comments and concerns, including Harry’s role and the suggested invitees. Lily and the Ministry spent the next several weeks going back and forth on the details. Although, her will eventually won most of the fights. There were some hard fought battles in it.

Finally the day arrived. The ceremony was set to start at one. The ministry liaison had requested that Lily and Harry come at least 30 minutes early so they could be set in their seats for the start. It was clear from their conversations this person didn’t have children and had never dealt with small children. After the fifth round of objections falling on deaf ears Lily agreed to come. Lily asked Severus to come over for lunch before so that he could help get Harry ready. Severus had agreed. Given the fact it was a Sunday he didn’t even need to make special arrangements with Dumbledore for classes or Quidditch.

“Hi,” Lily greeted as Severus stepped out of the Floo.

“Hello,” Severus returned, “how are you feeling?”

“Fine,” Lily said with a shrug. “It’s hard to believe it’s been a year.” Lily fought back a sob. “He’s been gone a year, Sev.”

Without thinking Severus pulled her into his chest. He didn’t care the tears were soaking through his robes. “I know, Lily. I know. It will be all right. Hush now. Come now, where’s that Gryffindor bravery?” Severus soothed.

Lily tapped him lightly on the chest. “I’m plenty brave. Just because you hide all your emotions deeper than a Gringotts’ high-security vault doesn’t mean we all do.”

“Indeed,” Severus agreed placing a kiss on the top of her head. “However, the day’s young. You must save your energy to deal with those idiots from the press. Now where is young Mr. Potter?”

Lily looked over her shoulder. “Err… I’m not sure. Harry,” she called “Harry.”

Harry stumbled in a moment later a stuffed lion clutched in one grubby hand.

“Mummy no cry,” Harry said walking up to the pair of adults.

“No, Mummy isn’t crying.” Lily reassured her son. “Come on sweetie. Let’s have some lunch.”

The three of them ate beef stew in relative silence. Lily did little more than to pick at hers, but Severus knew there was little point in trying to get her to do more. Severus collected the dishes placing them in the sink for washing.

“Come sir,” Severus said taking Harry from his booster seat, “We must look our best for the adoring press.”

Severus carried Harry upstairs to the small bedroom. A miniature set of robes, white shirt, and black trousers hung on the door of the wardrobe.

“We need to get changed for our function Harry. Can you please take off your shirt and trousers for me?” Severus asked the boy softly.

Harry obediently stripped.

“Thank you,” Severus said taking a shirt and trousers down from the wardrobe. He held out one arm of the shirt, “Arm.”

Harry put his arms through the sleeve, and the other when prompted. The trousers were bit trickier. He really nearly lost his balance trying to put one leg through one of the holes. He ended up grabbing Severus’ hair to keep himself upright.

“You changed his nappy right?” Lily asked from the doorway.

Severus shot her glare over Harry shoulder. “You tell me that now.”

“It’s not my fault you failed to follow standard baby procedures.” Lily said lightly. She had changed into a black dress, its dark color making her look paler than normal.

“Not a baby,” Harry protested from Severus.

“Of course you are Harry. No matter how old you are you will always be your mother’s baby. Is that not what you meant Lily,” Severus prompted. The last thing he needed was a sullen toddler.

“Of course Severus,” Lily confirmed.

Harry seemed mollified. “Now let’s get your robes on,” Severus announced.

“No,” Harry whined.

“Harry,” Lily said softly.

“No,” Harry repeated crossing his arms.

“Harry, you need to wear your robes.” Lily said more firmly. “You need to wear them for Daddy’s ceremony, sweetie. Please?”

Severus thought she’d given away any sort of authority she had by making the question of the ‘please’, but Harry gave in then either way. At least for the moment. The boy was soon trying to squirm out of them. Severus was glad he had the forethought to places Sticking Charm on the robes.

“That wasn’t fair Sev,” Lily chided watching Harry almost pulled the robes over his head as he tried to get out of them.

“It was not, but they will stay on this way. Personally, I do not see why he needs to wear them.” Severus confessed.

“The Ministry sent them. They wanted to make sure he looks the proper little wizard.” Lily told him. “They sent the dress and robes for me as well.”

“Do they not think you capable? Surely they don’t you to dress yourself.” Severus was confused.

Lily shrugged. “It wasn’t worth the fight to tell them differently. I had things that were much more important to me today.”

“Yes,” Severus said slowly. “Thank you for defending me. I can only imagine how displeased they were to have an accused Death Eater and werewolf on your distinguished guest list.”

Lily chuckled slightly. “About as happy as you reading Harry the Happy Hippogriff. If anybody can talk about James’ character, it’s Remus. James never cared about his condition. The Marauders broke the law to aid their friend’s suffering.”

“And make as much trouble as possible,” added Severus.

“They would’ve done that anyway.” Lily dismissed. “Those boys were the first friends Remus ever had.”

“There is much to be said about first friends, especially true friends.” Severus said thoughtfully “We should get going.”

“Ahh, ahh, ahh… Don’t think I didn’t notice you still haven’t change Harry’s nappy, Severus Snape. Do you really want to have to start this with a wet toddler?”

Severus sighed, resigned to his fate. He would be very glad when Harry was dependably toilet trained. Severus hated changing nappies. The trio set off a few minutes later, a freshly changed Harry in his mother’s arms.

Lily and Severus Apparated to the outskirts of Godric’s Hollow. The memorial would be dedicated on the remains of the Potter’s house. In what had been the front yard stood a large wooden platform a podium stood at its center, several chairs were behind it.

Lily sucked in a sharp breath at the sight of her former home. She hadn’t seen it since the night of the attack. Even then, her memory was somewhat fuzzy after James fell. She hadn’t realized the sheer level of destruction of the spells backfiring caused.

“Ahhh… Mrs. Potter, there you are,” a bossy little woman said emerging from a group of Ministry officials.

“Yes,” Lily said shifting Harry slightly.

“And the-Boy-Who-Lived,” the woman said eyes falling on Harry.

“Don’t call him that,” Severus snapped.

“Excuse me,” the woman hissed.

“Lily’s son’s name is Harry. Harry. James. Potter. Not any stupid moniker the press labeled him with.” Severus corrected.

“And who are you?” The woman asked.

“Severus Snape and you?” Severus demanded icily.

“I am Laurel Sheridan, the Deputy Secretary for Public Affairs, Mr. Snape. I am here as the official liaison to all Ministry guests for today’s celebration.” The woman said stuffily.

“Celebration?! Celebration?! What kind of dunderhead are you?!” Severus snapped.

“Sev,” Lily said softly.

“Do they let-” Severus continued.

“Severus! Stop!” Lily snapped.

Severus’ onyx eyes found Lily’s emerald ones.

“Just let it go,” Lily said softly. “Let’s not make this day any harder.”

Severus nodded. He held out his arms for Harry. Lily handed him over gratefully.

“Now, Mrs. Potter, we would like to have a stylist look at you and Harry before the press arrives.” Sheridan told them. Lily followed Sheridan it to a small tent off to the side of the house, Severus right behind her. The team of women fussed over Lily’s hair and makeup. Another had the unpleasant task of trying to deal with an agitated Harry. Severus did his best not to laugh at the witch tried to tame Harry’s messy hair. He was soon having to dry the tears that fell when the woman pulled too hard on Harry’s tender scalp.

“That will have to do,” one of the women said finally after nearly 30 minutes of dealing with Harry’s hair. “Do we have time for him?”

“The Minister is running late. If we’re quick,” another stylist, one of Lily’s, said merrily.

“If you wish to continue to hold a wand, or pair of scissors again, you will leave me alone.” Severus warned.

“Sev,” Lily scolded mildly.

“No,” Severus said flatly. “I never agreed to be poked or prodded. I am here to provide moral support, no more.”

Lily shook her head. Of course, Severus was going to be a stubborn is Harry. If pushed further he might plate up a temper tantrum to rival the tot’s. “At least let her comb and tie back your hair.”

“Fine,” Severus pouted.

The witch quickly set to her work, not five minutes later Severus was done. If they trimmed a few split ends he was none the wiser.

The bossy witch was back. “Mrs. Potter, you and Harry are to come this way.”

Lily stopped, “Sev is coming with me.”

“No, Mr. Snape is supposed to have a seat among the distinguished guests. You and your son are supposed to be up on the podium.” Sheridan corrected.

“Damn it. No, I told them no to this three weeks ago. Let me guess, Remus Lupin is been removed from the speakers list as well.” Lily snapped.

“Err…yes.” The witch said hesitantly.

“Well that better change. I am not going to have wasted all our time making arrangements to have them changed at the last minute.” Lily said, her arms crossing her chest stubbornly.

“The Minister felt it was a better image not to have suspect characters and dangerous half-breeds up on the dais with Aurors and others. We want to give the public the best picture of James Potter possible.” Sheridan explained.

“Well, damn the Minister and damn the public. James didn’t care about Remus’ condition. As for Severus, he has done more for Harry than any Ministry official ever has. If you have any hope of Harry behaving for your stupid ceremony then you better let Severus up there. Now go tell them what I said. If they won’t agree, I’m perfectly happy to take my son home and mourn in private.” Lily ordered.

“Well, I never,” Sheridan muttered on her way out of the tent. She returned almost a full 10 minutes later.

Severus was busy trying to entertain an increasingly cranky toddler. Why they insisted on doing this when the boy would normally be napping Severus did not know. Lily had tried to get him to sleep earlier, but had failed and it was showing now.

“The Minister has agreed to your requests, Mrs. Potter. Now will you please follow me,” a different witch asked kindly.

“Thank you,” Lily said rising from her chair to follow.

Severus took Harry’s hand in his own large one.

The pair followed slowly after Lily, but stopped when they were at the side of the dais. Harry was staring at the sea of cameras and voices. Severus scooped up the stunned child, tucking his head safely into his chest. Severus sat in his appointed chair next to Lily. His reassuring words flowing non-stop. One hand rubbed up and down Harry’s back, the other offered to Lily she took it gladly.

The pair held hands for the first three speakers. Harry drifted off somewhere during the second, from exhaustion or simply cried out, Severus was uncertain. Lily let go of Severus’ hand to speak. She was barely able to make it past her ‘thank yous’ before it became too much. Emotion overcoming her. Remus stepped up, reading her prepared words and then his own.

The ceremony finally ended with the unveiling of a sculpture of the Potter family in a scene of domestic bliss. Lily and Severus shared looks of disapproval behind the Minister’s back. The press took the necessary photos.  Severus’ presence was not necessary.  A sleeping Harry was passed off to his mother.  Severus was glad to for both facts.

The press left and the most of the Ministry officials. Soon it was just the bossy witch, Laurel Sheridan, the Minister of Magic, along with the Potters and Severus. Sirius and Remus fled as soon as the curtain was off of the statue. Severus wondered what they were up to.  He’d seen that expression on their faces too often not to know they were planning something.

“Mrs. Potter,” Minister Bagnold greeted warmly.

“Minister,” Lily said much more coolly.

“I’d like to thank you personally for your participation in today’s events.” Bagnold said offering her hand.

“You’re not very welcome,” Lily returned “Your aid made it clear it was you who objected to the plans that were painstakingly agreed to. I promise this is the first and last time I ever participate in such a Ministry affair. Now, if you please I have a son to put to bed.” Lily said, not bothering to wait for a response. With that last statement, Lily Disapparated.

Severus followed suit, stunned by his friend’s lack of manners.

“Lily,” Severus called from the living room.

“Upstairs,” Lily’s voice came over the baby monitor.

Severus walked to the stairs to meet Lily halfway down. Silently he took her in his arms. “That was quite a display you put on with the Minister.” Severus said softly. “It was almost Petunia worthy.”

Lily groaned slightly. “Gods, I was wretched.”

“You were,” Severus agreed.

“Not helping Sev,” Lily said into his chest.

“I never said I was trying to be.” Severus said softly.

Lily laughed a little at this. They stood there in silence for a moment before Severus asked very softly, “How are you Lily? Truly.”

Lily shook her head. “I don’t know.”

Severus nodded. “You need to take it easy. I’ll get us a take away for dinner and when Harry goes to bed tonight we can have a drink or three and talk of Potter. I am sure Black and Lupin would be thrilled to tell tales you haven’t heard yet and make you question the sanity of marrying him.”

Lily smiled slightly. “That sounds brilliant.”

“Until then I believe mindless hours in front of the idiot box are called for.” Severus said pulling her toward the living room. The two of them watched some horrible Japanese monster movie making bad jokes until Harry woke up. They played with Harry then. In the background Lily had put on one of James’ favorite albums.  Surprisingly it was Muggle. As it turned out it was music from a band Sirius had heard while roughing it on the streets of Muggle London for a few nights. The band was called, the Sex Pistols.

Severus was surprised by all of the information. He would’ve guessed Potter more of an ABBA fan. Lily explained the anger and the music connected with both Sirius and James with the unrest in the Muggle world, and the magic one. Severus could understand that.

Sirius and Remus arrived at 8:30 with curry and more beer than Severus thought the four could drink. The two remaining Marauders told many tales of the group’s nighttime adventures around Hogwarts.

“Now this is a wake James would have approved of,” Sirius said when they were all on at least their third beer. “Not like that miserable thing we did last year.” Sirius said slouching back in his chair.

“Hey,” Remus objected from his seat in front of the couch.

Lily lay along the length of the sofa her head and Severus’ lap at the opposite end from where Remus sat. “It was pretty miserable,” Lily agreed.

“It was what was expected, “Remus defended.

Sirius blew a loud, wet raspberry at that. “I want nothing more than to go down in a blaze of glory and be remembered doing so. Forget your cheers and have a drink. You got me,” Sirius said directing his remark to Lupin.

Remus nodded.

“Oi! You,” Sirius pointed at Severus.

Severus looked up from where he was playing with Lily’s hair. “What, Black?”

“Don’t think I’m too drunk to realize that the year is up. Just remember you best treat her right. You hurt her and you’ll have me and Remus to answer to.” Sirius said seriously.

The clock chimed 11. Severus let out a soft sigh. He gently nudged Lily off his lap. “I fear I must say good night.  Gentlemen, Lily.”

Sirius cocked his head to the side, “What you Eunder-ellie or something?”

“That’s midnight and Cinderella,” Remus corrected.

“No, Black,” Severus said turning to the Auror, from his spot in the middle of the living room. “I work hours considered normal for a human being.”

Sirius snorted. Remus chuckled slightly.

“You really have to go?” Lily asked frowning.

“I do. I have a first-year class of Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs right after breakfast.” Severus said solemnly.

Lily’s pout only deepened. “Fine. I’ll see you out.”

Lily got off the couch was some difficulty, but managed to meet Severus in the middle of the room without falling. The two walked to the front door, the silence comfortable between them.

“You sure you’re safe to Apparate back to Hogwarts?” Lily asked somewhat nervously.

“I am not. That is why plan to Apparate to Spinner’s End. As that is also where my store of Hangover Solution is. I will Floo to my quarters from there.” Severus explained.

“Then why not just Floo from here?” Lily asked.

“As I said, Hangover Solution is at my house. Also if I were to part ways with you in there I could not do this...” Severus said quickly taking this moment of surprise to place a kiss on Lily’s lips.

They broke apart a moment later, both somewhat out of breath.

“I shall see you soon, Lily.” Severus said before Disapparating.

The End.
End Notes:
So yeah... How about that kiss?

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Thanks to my beta for her struggling with my sometimes crazy writing.

See you guys soon...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717