What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159958 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 14 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry's sick...

Severus smiled at the memory.  It had been a good night

“That date was in early December. This meant that it was very near the time when students departed for the winter holidays. More importantly many of the professors, myself included, give exams around this time,” Severus explained, “That year there was a rather unfortunately timed outbreak of flu. When you put it all together it means the castle was very busy and tempers were running short.”

Severus smiled. “I was lucky, however, I had an escape. The time with your mother meant I was in a much better mood than most when Professor Dumbledore asked me to brew a long series of healing potions for Madam Pomfrey. That mood sank only when your mother advised me of your lack of progress in recovering.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Severus expected to be welcomed in by an excited Harry and loving Lily when he Floo-ed to the Potter home on Monday evening. Instead there was no one in the living room. Severus could hear the sound of retching and sound of  soft murmurs coming from the bathroom.

“Oh dear,” Severus sighed “Lily,” he called walking to the bathroom. His call went unanswered.

Outside the door he could hear Lily talking softly as another wave of vomit hit the bowl.

“Lily,” Severus said once more.

“Sev?” Lily asked “Uhhh… Goodness is it really that late… Sorry didn’t realize the time… Give us just a minute…” She called back from the bathroom. “All done? Let’s just wash your face, clean your teeth.”

Severus stood awkwardly at the door unsure what to do. Lily and Harry emerged a few minutes later, Harry held in her arms. The boy was dressed in a blue set of pajamas with a snitches zooming about. What little Severus could see of the boy’s face was pale and clammy.

“Sorry about this,” Lily apologize. “Harry’s had a bit of a rough day.” She ran a reassuring hand up and down the boy’s small back.

“I take it his condition is not improved?” Severus asked.

Lily nodded, “That wasn’t the first time today.”

“Has he seen a Healer?” Severus asked softly. It was unpleasant to see Harry so uncomfortable.

Lily shook her head. “I did talk to a nurse though. She said as long as his fever didn’t go too high and if he stopped puking in the next day or so we shouldn’t have bring him in. She gave me the name of a couple of potions he could take. She made it very clear I’m not to mix them with any sort of Muggle medication. With him being ill I haven’t had a chance to do anything.”

Severus nodded in understanding. “May I see the list?”

“On the coffee table. Let me go put Harry down and I’ll make us something to eat.” Lily told him.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Severus said with a wave his hand.  “I’ll make us something. You’ve had your hands full all day. I can do it this time.”

“Thanks Sev,” Lily said placing a kiss on his cheek.  Severus turned his head slightly to give her a proper kiss.  “It’s the least I can do,” he said as the kiss ended.

The pair parted ways, Lily went upstairs to Harry’s room, Severus to the kitchen. Severus pulled open the cabinet where canned goods were kept.  He was happy to see a can of chicken soup. Harry could have that when he woke up. Severus put the can on the counter, seeing nothing else that piqued his interest he moved to the refrigerator. Here he found a package of sausages.

'Bangers and mash it is,' Severus thought to himself. Lily came into the kitchen to find the potatoes being chopped by a magically controlled knife.

“Isn’t that cheating?” Lily asked jokingly.

“There is nothing that necessitates them being chopped without the aid of magic, so no.” Severus said not looking way whatever he was fussing about with on stove.

“So with cooking you’re willing to use magic, but not with potions?”  Lily asked leaning back on the opposite counter.

“Of course,” Severus confirmed. “You very well know how dangerous it is to mix magic and potions. The trace amounts of the spellcasting could…” He went on building up seed.

“Sev stop,” Lily said exasperated. “I was joking. I mentioned potions and you lose all sense of humor.”

Severus grunted in response.

“Come on now, don’t be that way.” Lily soothed “I promise I will never use spells when I’m making potions. Now, what are you making us?”

Severus wasn’t much appeased with the statement, but answered anyway. “Bangers and mash. There is a can of soup Harry can have when he wakes. Tea?”

Lily nodded watching him pour the hot water into the teapot. He swished around before dumping it out again and placing more water and leaves into the pot. They stood in silence as the tea steeped and the potatoes were put on the stove to boil. Lily poured out 2 cups adding three sugar to Severus’ and milk to her own.

“Is Harry settled in?” Severus asked sipping his tea.

Lily nodded, “He’ll probably wake up in an hour or so. He’s been doing that most of the day.”

Severus nodded. He summoned the list of recommended potions while his thoughts were on it. After a quick look over he concluded, “That nurse was an idiot. There are far less expensive alternatives to these. I assume she suggested a particular potions brewer.”

Lily shrugged, “She mentioned Allister Crane.”

“Idiot.” Severus grumbled. “Not you,” he added quickly seeing Lily’s hurt expression. “Crane is hardly competent. Leave this to me.”

“I can’t ask you,” Lily began.

“You did not ask,” Severus reminded her,“Why don’t you find something on the telly while I finish our dinner?”

Severus came into the living room 10 minutes later, plates and his tea hovering in front of him. Lily had turned on some sort of game show from the looks of things. Lily grabbed one of the plates placing it on the small tables set in front of the sofa.

“I didn’t realize you had these,” Severus said gesturing at the tables.

“Dad got them a few years back so he could eat and not miss the Man U matches. It drove Mum spare. But it was better than him getting up to look, or having to radio on during dinner.” Lily explained.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed.

They watched the program occasionally trying to answer the questions or just making fun of the missed answers. The game show was followed by local news. Just as that was going off they heard a pitiful cry of ‘Mummy’ from Harry’s room.

“Duty calls,” Lily said rising from the sofa.

“I’ll bring the soup up momentarily,” Severus said clearing away their dinner dishes. He set the dishes to wash themselves while he warmed the tin of soup on the stove top.

Severus exited the kitchen heading for Harry’s room when Lily called out, “We’re in here.”

Severus turned about-face and made his way into the living room where Harry lay on the sofa. The small frame propped up on the arm rests. His favorite blue blanket was tucked around his legs.

“How are you feeling Harry,” Severus asked.

“Yucky,” Harry whined.

“I’m sure. Why don’t you try some of the soup and toast?” Severus suggested.

Harry gave the bowl a dirty look.

“Can’t get better if you don’t eat,” Lily told him softly.

Harry reluctantly nibbled on a piece of toast. It was slow going, but they eventually got him to eat half a piece of toast and some soup. It was far less that Harry would normally eat, but both adults were satisfied. Harry started falling back to sleep during the comedy show that came on. Lily carried him up to bed, returning a few minutes later.

“He’s out like a light,” she said flopping down on the sofa. “I should probably call it a night, get some rest in case he wakes again.”

“Let me.” Severus demanded. “I can see to him during the night.”

“Sev, you have students. You need to be rested teach your classes.” Lily protested.

Severus dismissed her concerns. “They are sitting an exam. I need only be in the room. The charms will alert me if anyone dare try to cheat. Please, let me help you.”

Lily sighed. “Okay. Don’t be surprised if he throws up on you.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Severus said seriously.

“You need to go back to the castle for anything? Pajamas? Toothbrush?” Lily asked.

“One of the many wonders of being a wizard, I can conjure or transfigure all I need.” Severus responded.

Lily shrugged. “Some of us are just a bit more in touch with their Muggle roots. If you need anything or he gets to be too much don’t be afraid to call me.”

“I will,” Severus promised. “Will Lupin mind if I spend the night in his room?”

“Remus? No, he’ll just feel guilty he wasn’t here to help.” Lily answered.

“Where did he go again?” Severus asked as they climbed the stairs the bedrooms.

“He went to visit his parents. His mother was ill in his last letter from home.” Lily told him.

“And for once it wasn’t the cover for his condition.” Severus said humorlessly.

Lily stopped outside her bedroom door. “Good night, Sev.”

“Good night Lily,” Severus said for leaning in to give her a gentle kiss goodnight. “I will see you in the morning.”

Severus transfigured his shirt into a long nightshirt. Cast a Freshening Charm for good measure before changing the rest of the way. He Summoned a fresh set of sheets before switching them onto the bed. He hoped he would get to spend at least part of the night in them, but was reminded of Lily’s warning. He got to sleep about an hour and a half before Harry’s calls could be heard.

Severus was not woken by this, but by Harry’s kicking the bottom of the crib. Severus certainly glad he had cast a Silencing Spell on Lily’s bedroom door.

Severus stumbled down the hall. There was very little he could do for the boy. The nurse advised not giving him any sort of Muggle medicine. It was true that Harry hadn’t had any potions yet, but Severus was unsure how long they would need to be out of the system before potions could be administered. Harry stood in his crib his face streaked with tears.

“Oh child,” Severus said scooping the little boy up. Harry tucked his face into Severus’ neck.  The boy’s breathing was heavy and uneven.  Severus was uncertain if this was from the tears or congestion.  “Hush now, everything will be alright. What’s wrong?” Severus asked again rubbing soothing circles on the boy’s tiny back.

He didn’t expect an answer to his question from a toddler, not really, one could could only guess it was from the discomfort the boy was currently suffering. When the boy continued to cry, Severus began to pace the room. This did little to soothe him. Severus pushed a lock of sweat dampened hair off of Harry’s forehead.

“What am I to do Harry?” Severus asked circling the room once more.

“You’re feverish Mr. Potter,” Severus muttered. With the arm not supporting Harry, Severus Summoned a clean face cloth. He then conjured a cup. Using Aguamenti he filled the cup, wetting the cloth. He placed that on the back of Harry’s neck. He managed to get the boy to drink about half a cup of water.

Severus settled into the rocking chair in the corner of the room. It was far from comfortable Severus decided instantly. He wondered if Lily had any particular attachment this one, or if he could get her better one without undue insult. Severus adjusted the squalling toddler into a more comfortable position. This way Harry was a bit further from his ear. Severus rather liked hearing and preferred not have the last sounds he heard the wails of the unhappy toddler.

Severus continued rocking, all the while trying to come up with a way to calm Harry back to sleep. He would not drug him. Severus rocked slowly back and forth. The motion was relaxing for Severus but seemed to have little effect on Harry . Severus wondered what to do for small children in these situations. He supposed he could always go and get Lily. Of course that would more or less defeat the point of him being in here. He wanted to give Lily a chance at a night’s uninterrupted sleep, something she could probably use.

What had he seen her do in the past? He was rubbing the boy’s back. He was keeping his voice as calm as he could manage. He was rocking in the chair. What more could he do?

The idea came to him then. He’d heard Lily sing to Harry when he was having a bad night. Lily’s voice was by no means that of a nightingale, but he had seen it work on Harry in the past, so it was worth a shot.

Severus pursed his lips. He knew no lullabies. In fact, the only song lyrics he could think of, other than the wretched things from the Hogwarts school song were that of a Muggle rock song. He supposed that song would have to do.

“Ever since I was a young boy,/I’ve played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton/I must’ve played them all/but I ain’t seen nothing like him/in any amusement hall./That deaf dumb and blind./Sure plays a mean pinball/he stands like a statue/becomes part of the machine./Filled all the bumpers/always playing clean./He placed by intuition./The digit characters fall./That deaf dumb and blind kid/sure plays mean pinball. He’s a pinball wizard,/there has to be a twist./The pinball wizard,/got such a supple wrist.” Severus sang softly.

As Severus sang the muggle rock song Harry’s cries began to calm. Whether it was from Severus’ voice, the rocking finally taking effect, or Harry had just cried himself out, Severus was not certain. Just in case it was the music he continued to sing.

By the time he reached the final reprise of the chorus he could tell Harry was asleep. The tiny chest was moving up and down in a steady deep, rhythm. Severus stayed in the chair a moment longer, just to make sure Harry didn’t wake then carried the toddler back to the crib. Ever so gently Severus placed Harry back down his back, covered him with his blue blanket covered with moons and stars, and placed Harry stuffed lion within arm’s reach.

Simple acts like this reminded Severus just how far his life had come from what he had ever expected it to be. It was times like this he could never explain how grateful he was for them. Severus woke several more times during the night and each time he chose to sing Harry back to sleep. The last time he must’ve fallen asleep in a rocking chair, as Lily found him there the following morning.

“Sev,” Lily said the gentle shake of shoulder.

“What time is it?” Severus grumbled. He frowned at the wet spot on his chest. Harry had drooled through his nightshirt. Still it was better than vomit he supposed.

“It’s half six. I thought I’d relieve you. You can get back to the castle for proper rest before your first class.” Lily told him.

“Not likely,” Severus grumbled. “No, I need to start those healing potions. Harry should not be in such a level of discomfort if it can be helped. The same should also be said about the students at school, although Madam Pomfrey has a fair supply at the moment.”

Lily took the still sleeping Harry from Severus’ lap as Severus rose and stretched. He had an awful crick in his neck from the chair.

“Do you have any particular attachment this chair?” Severus asked.

“That’s a fairly random question,” she said Harry once more tucked in to bed. “Not really, why do you ask?”

“No reason,” Severus said stretching once more.

“How come you never told me you can sing?” Lily asked softly.

“You never asked.” Severus told her softly.

“I don’t think you liked Tommy,” Lily said.

Severus balked. “Tommy? How did… I put up a Silencing Charm on your door….”

“You forgot about the baby monitor,” Lily told him.

“Oh, I see. I am not overly fond of the album. The movie forced me to see was one of the least pleasant experiences of my life.” Severus replied.

“Than why did you sing it to Harry?” Lily asked.

“I sang him one song, not the album,” Severus clarified.

Lily frowned. “Why that song?”

Severus quirked an eyebrow at the question. Really could she not guess response?

“Did you learn that song because it had the word ‘wizard’ in it?” Lily asked, almost teasingly.

“Yes,” Severus replied seriously. “You will remember it was a popular song the summer we met. What you may not be aware of, is this is one of the first times I ever heard Muggle music. There was a Muggle radio in our house, but my father only used it to listen to football matches and on  occasion, the shipping forecast. My mother and I dare not touch the unit in fear of provoking Tobias’ wrath. Yet, I met you. I heard Muggle singing about wizard. It stuck with me.  I even bought the single.”

“You’re one in a million Severus Snape,” Lily said kissing him softly.

Embarrassed Severus said, “Now, I must be going. I have a busy day ahead of me. If you’ll excuse me,” before darting from the room.

Lily didn’t see him leave but heard the flare the Floo activating. Not four hours later, a box with all the potions the healer suggested freshly brewed appeared in her fireplace. She knew he must’ve put off brewing for  the Hospital Wing until Harry’s potions were complete since they had other options to fall back on. Lily was impressed with just how much this man was willing to do for her son.

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you to my beta, Pan. Thanks for reading.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717