What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159951 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 16 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Lily's birthday surprise...
“That was the first time I… Err… Spent the night over at your mother’s house, but not the last.” Severus said fighting to keep a straight face. Perhaps he should have kept that particular detail to himself at least for the time being. Harry clearly could have done without it. He would have to tell Lily about this later. It was too late now.

“Okay, so what about the stuff with the Ministry and Mom’s birthday. What was going on at the school?” Harry demanded clearly anxious to move away from talking about that part of his parents’ love life.

“I was just getting there,” Severus reassured now completely recomposed.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Severus slipped into the dungeon classroom is black robes flapping intimidatingly. Severus loved how the class instantly quieted with his entrance. It was a talent few possessed.

He made it to the front of the room before the firsthand shut up. Severus fought hard not to roll his eyes.

“Padlock, if this is an inquiry into my personal affairs I will personally see to it that you are solely responsible for cleaning all of Hogwarts’ bathrooms until you graduate.” Severus warned. “The same goes for the rest of you.”

The hand lowered even faster than it shot up. Ever since Lily’s visit during the Christmas holidays students had taken an unpleasant obsession with his and Lily’s love life. He thought it would have diminished when the rest of the students returned. If anything, it got worse, far far worse.

Less than a fifth of the student body stayed at school for the holidays. So few students meant there was little chance of running across them in the halls especially since the majority were Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. It wasn’t until the second or third visit to the school that any of the students recognized Lily. No, they didn’t recognize Lily, they recognized Harry and put two and two together. That was when the first talk came to Severus’ attention.

Although it might have been started the first night. They had received a number of curious looks. How could they not? The evil dungeon bat having dinner with a beautiful woman and a child he wasn’t belittling? Still Severus awareness dawned after that later visit.

 

The other faculty did not help matters. Severus would not go so far as to say they encouraged the gossip, but they did not discourage it anywhere near enough in his opinion. The more visits and students returning from the holiday speculation grew even more.

Severus’ hopes the students would find some new source of fascination were in vain. The fact that he missed the most recent Quidditch match (not for spending time with Lily, but rather overseeing the detention of three third year Ravenclaws) had not helped his case. If this kept up Severus was certain he would go mad at any moment.

Severus set his students to working on their Shrinking Solutions. He sat at his desk in quill in hand. He wanted to do something nice for Lily’s birthday, but the damned Ministry had scheduled another interrogation for the same day. He told Lily all of this. What he had not told her was he went so far as to ask them to reschedule. That went over as well as asking a chimera for a ride.

Severus was now trying to come up with alternative solutions. Having magic meant they could go almost anywhere in very little time at all. Still it needed to fit the criteria, not that he was exactly certain what that was.

Lily had kept his own birthday rather simple, dinner and a movie. Though she had given him a very special gift. That was probably a good basis for his own planning. Lily said they need not do anything too fancy. They did not even have to do it that day. Still Severus wanted to make an impression.

He said his quill to parchment writing the first three ideas that came to mind. He sat back in contemplation. He would reevaluate all the ideas later. Right now he was just brainstorming.

Nothing came to mind after another moment’s pause. Severus took that is assigned to actually make sure the students were not going to kill or otherwise maim themselves or their classmates. He made sure to talk the list and the inner pocket of his robes. He did not need a student to happen across it. Could only imagine what they might say. It would spread across the school faster than cursed fire. This pattern continued for the rest of the day. None of the students (as far as he knew) figured out what he was doing. Nor did any of the other professors, a fact Severus was incredibly glad. Finally the bell rang for the end of the classes.

Severus returned to his quarters to relax before dinner. He hung his heavy teaching robes by the door and continued on to the cabinet across the room. He poured himself a healthy measure of scotch before gracelessly flopping onto the sofa. He was momentarily shocked by a small yelp that omitted from where he sat down. It was instantly placed went Harry’s blasted furball emerged from behind Severus’ back. The wizard was still getting used to checking to see if the cat, who still small enough to hide in his shoe, was sleeping, laying, or otherwise occupied his desired spot. Unlike Lily, however, Severus had no problem moving the beast if it did occupy the space. Not that that was very difficult at least at the moment, maybe when it got bigger he would give in.

Severus Summoned the list from his pocket. Taking the first sip of his drink he unrolled scroll. He ran down the list. Of the dozen or so items on it maybe three would actually work. Severus cursed under his breath. All were so…so cliché. He didn’t want to be that boring.

Severus shook his head. If you knew if Lily could see him now she would laugh. He knew she cared more for the time they spent together than the actual activity. Still, he wanted to show curse cared by going the extra mile.

With a sigh he set the list to side. He still had a bit of time to work on it. He would come up with something when he was sure. At the moment he was supposed to spend the weekend with Lily and Harry. Any plans would have to include Harry on those days. Remus would be indisposed due to his condition and Black was scheduled to work the weekend.

Severus briefly considered trying to do something for Lily’s birthday then, but everything became so much more complicated when having to include a toddler into the plans. Perhaps they could break things up a bit. Black was off work on Monday (the day of the inquiry) and Lupin might be well enough to mind Harry for the evening. That was something to consider. Why haven’t he thought of that before? They could have a nice day trip out, the three of them, then Lily’s actual birthday just here Lily do something simple. Yes, that sounded like you much better idea.

Severus pushed the list aside. He pushed around the pamphlets and stacks of parchment across the table until he found what he was looking for. Finally buried below almost everything else he found it. A catalog of basic Portkey destinations. He flipped furiously through the pages. There it was! He and Lily had just been talking about it the other day. 15 Galleons for each day spent. It would be a bit pricey, but it was from Lily. No, this is what they would do.

Severus penned a quick letter to the appropriate office at the Ministry including the number of his bank to have the funds withdrawn. He thought about writing to tell Lily about his decision, but chose not to. She had kept her plans for his birthday secret. Would only seem fair that he do the same.

Severus sighed. That wouldn’t work exactly the same. If he was there for during the week he could make sure things were set aside and they could just leave on Saturday morning. He wouldn’t be there however. Lily would need time to prepare things for a day out at least, overnight at the most. Still he would hold off until Friday night. That would give her more than enough time to pull things together for such a short trip.

Severus sent the letter off before dinner. He did his best to ignore Minerva’s questions about Lily’s birthday. It wouldn’t be surprised if the two women were plotting to get the lowdown on his plans. If anything Severus was an excellent secret keeper.

When her first line of questions fell flat Minerva changed course. Instead she asked Severus how he felt about his upcoming inquiry with the Ministry. Severus glared at the Headmaster. He was certain the old coot must’ve told McGonagall about it.

“Severus,” Minerva repeated. “Did you hear my question?”

Severus counted slowly to ten in his mind. There was no need to attack the overly nosy Deputy Headmistress. She was merely trying to show concern for colleague and friend.

“I heard you, Professor McGonagall,” Severus finally replied. “I am as well prepared as I could be for any such inquiry. The best I can do is to tell the truth and hope the idiots final believe what I am saying is indeed fact. They will have little room to question it in the future as they will be administering Vertitiserum this time. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a good deal of planning do for my absence this weekend and Monday.” Severus pushed away from the table before the Head of Gryffindor even had a chance to reply.

Severus stalked down the halls back towards his quarters. On the way he broke up a pair of overly amorous fifth years from his own house and a squabble with wands drawn between two third years from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Both received detention. He had no interest who started it or why. Let them explained to Filch, like the useless squib would care.

The rest of the week rushed by in a wave of classes, grading, and detentions. It was only at Friday breakfast that the day seemed to break out of the mold. It started with the package arriving from the Ministry.

The sound of flapping wings filled the Great Hall students and professors enjoy breakfast. Severus looked up as he had every morning for the last four days. He was starting to worry his Portkey would not arrive in time for his surprise to go as planned. He was slightly relieved when an unfamiliar barn owl landed at his place on the dais.

Severus quickly removed the package from the bird’s per-offered leg. The bird do not stay long enough to take any of the bacon or toast Severus would give it. He slipped the package into his robe pocket. He would double check instructions and regulations in his quarters later. He didn’t want to have to answer any more questions about Lily’s birthday or the inquiry.

When another two owls landed in front of him, Severus was more than a little surprised. He knew Lily’s. That it was here was not so unusual. No, what was strange was the presence of another owl bearing correspondence with a Ministry seal.

Severus quickly untied the letters from the respective owls. Both went off without a pause for so much as a drink of water. Despite his better judgment Severus used his knife to split open the second message from the Ministry. He read:

    Dear Mr. S. Snape,

It has come to the attention of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement you plan to leave the country in the upcoming days. We strongly remind you that you are expected for questioning on Monday, January 30. Failure to report will be considered an admission of guilt and will result in the issuing of a warrant for your arrest.

    Thank you for your compliance,

    John Dawlish

Severus frowned at the parchment. The Ministry was worried he would run? If he wanted to do that, why would he bother using Ministry regulated transit and not simply Apparate to the continent?

“Idiot,” Severus grumbled under his breath.

“Is everything alright, Severus?” Dumbledore asked worriedly.

“Everything is fine, Headmaster. I will simply be glad when Monday arrives and I will finally be free to move about the world without such air of suspicion. It seems that the word of Albus Dumbledore only goes so far. The Ministry saw fit to I remind me of our pending appointment. Better yet, they were so good as to all but threaten me with a squad of Hit Wizards if I failed to appear on Monday.” Severus grumbled. His voice and started low but he continued to grow in volume as his agitation became clear. A few of the students looked over curiously.

Dumbledore gave him solemn nod. “Don’t worry my boy. It will soon be behind you. And then you and the lovely Mrs. Potter can move forward with your lives like any other couple.”

Severus did not know how to respond to such a comment. The man meant it to be reassuring. However, it did little to ease Severus' concerns. No, the only thing that would make Severus feel better right now was his name to be cleared once and for all of any sort of wrongdoing. Since that could not happen until Monday, he would have to settle for a weekend away with Lily and Harry.

Thankfully the day went relatively smoothly. Severus was able to secure the Potions classroom before the dinner bell struck. That seen to he returned to his quarters throwing together a bag to take to Lily’s/on their trip. He paid little attention to what he actually selected for wearing. He just wanted to go. He didn’t even bother double checking if he had enough socks and underwear before he slammed down the lid of the case. A moment later he threw down a handful of Floo Powder, calling out Lily’s home.

What greeted him when he arrived was slightly odd. Lily was yelling at the top of her lungs while the naked from the waist down Harry came running down the hall.

Severus sat down the case to exchange it for a giggling Harry. Harry, thankfully did not kick or  scream as Severus carried the boy back towards the source of his mother’s cries.

“I believe you lost this,” Severus teased as the wizards met Lily at the top of the stairs.

“Thanks,” Lily said taking the toddler back. “Somebody couldn’t wait to say ‘hello’.”

“I see. Did I come at a bad time?” Severus asked.

Lily shook her head. “No, we were just getting ready for Harry’s bath.”

“No bath,” Harry protested.

“Yes bath,” Lily countered. “Little boys who spend all day digging in the mud and leaves need to have a bath.”

“No,” Harry protested.

Severus chuckled at the argument. He stopped when Lily gave him a look as if to say, ‘You’re not helping.’ Severus gave a small nod in understanding.

“Harry,” Severus asked firmly.

The toddler stopped his wiggling for moment.

“Harry,” Severus repeated. “You want your mother or I to give you a bath?”

“No bath,” Harry pouted

“You will have a bath.” Severus corrected. “Now do you want to me or your mummy?”

Harry frowned but held out his arms for Severus. Severus took him and strong arms.

“Well, if you’re doing that, I guess I’ll go start on dinner.” Lily said with a slight smile. “Have fun,” she called heading down the stairs.

‘What could that mean’ Severus thought to himself. It did not take long for him to figure out what she meant. When the pair emerged from the bathroom half an hour later Severus was certain he was almost as wet as Harry.

Once Harry was redressed in his pajamas the two headed downstairs. Lily did not hold back her laughter at the sight of the drenched Severus.

“You knew this would happen.” Severus accused.

Lily shrugged. Severus pouted.

“Thank you,” Lily said offering a kiss as payment.

The kiss lasted as long as Harry let them. Not long enough in Severus’ opinion. He set the boy down in hopes of returning to their previous activity, but was thwarted when Lily turned back to mind something on the stove.

“What’s for dinner?” Severus asked. He didn’t particularly care. He was just enjoying simple and domesticity of it all.

The evening continued with dinner, Severus trying and failing to put Harry to bed, and finally some alone time between he and Lily. It was during this time, Lily found the almost forgotten package from the Ministry.

“What’s this?” she asked pulling a box from his pocket.

“Your birthday present… In a fashion.” Severus replied sitting back.

“From the Ministry,” Lily questioned.

Severus nodded, “Note the department.”

Lily pursed her lips in a way Severus found hard not to kiss.

“Magical transport and…” Lily read. Her frown deepened. She still wasn’t sure how this related to her birthday.

“Go ahead, open it,” Severus encouraged.

Lily pulled out the package to reveal an old wooden spoon with a broken handle. Lily raised an eyebrow as to request an explanation.

“It’s a Portkey,” Severus elaborated. "It will deliver us to the Italian Ministry of Magic tomorrow morning. I thought we could spend the weekend exploring Rome. You know see all the sights like in that movie you are so fond of.”

Lily smiled. “Always full of surprises you are Severus Snape.”

Lily stood up ready to head up stairs, but stopped in front of Severus. “You really are wonderful you know.” Lily said standing on tiptoe to kiss him.

“As I said, I try.” Severus agreed meeting her halfway into the kiss.

Packing was as Severus expected, rather hectic, but for different reasons. Lily could not find the camera she wanted to take. She was worried there was not enough film. Then came questions about shoes. Severus sat through it all, laid-back lazily on Lily’s bed. Past midnight, Lily called it a night. Everything she and Harry would need for the next two days shoved into an old suitcase once belonged to Lily’s father.

Only a few short hours later the alarm blared in Severus’ ear for them to wake and start their day.

Lily thought it would be best if Harry didn’t have any breakfast. Knowing his reaction to Apparating she thought it very likely that he would have a similar response to Portkeys. Severus nodded and added a few more vials of Stomach Calming Draught. Lily decided to shrink a pram at the last minute. The trip itself went remarkably smoothly.

They were greeted in Rome by a grouchy Italian Ministry official. Once their papers were checked, wands weighed, and registered, and the pram restored to size, the trio made their way onto the plaza.

The Ministry of Magic in Italy was located not far from St. Peter’s Basilica. They arrived just before 9 AM.

Severus suggested and Lily agreed, to get breakfast before starting the sightseeing part of their adventure. They found a nice open-air café to have something to eat. Severus picked his breakfast almost at random. He did spend more time trying to decide on what kind of coffee. He finally settled on espresso. He knew that was supposed to be strong. He was certain he would need to boost for the day’s activities.

The waiter brought their food a few minutes later. Harry took great joy he has much mess as possible of his pastry, before eating it. Severus watched the antics resignedly. As long as Harry ate let the boy make a mess he supposed. Lily seemed more interested in perusing her guidebook than correcting Harry, so who was Severus to scold him.

“It’s a shame we only have the one day,” Lily said setting aside her book, her page dogeared.

“Did I say we only have the day?” Severus asked.

Lily shook her head. “No, I just assumed you would want to get home to prepare for the inquiry.”

Severus stiffened. “No,” he replied tightly. “If I had it my way I would rather never have to report the damn thing. However, as the Ministry was so kind to remind me, failure to do so is to admit guilt. I have no desire to spend the rest of my days on the run from a squad of Hit Wizards.” He paused to take a sip of coffee. “Now have you decided how we are to spend our first day?”

Lily did not reply immediately. Severus if asked would say her expression was appraising. It was as if she was trying to determine how much Severus said was true, or at least how much Severus was hiding. In his own defense, Severus was trying to be as open and honest as he felt possible. There was no lie in his previous statement. The only thing he was hiding was his level of frustration with the Ministry and their unwillingness to leave him be.

Lily said, when she finally spoke, “I thought we could see some of the Vatican today. We're so close to it after all.”

Severus gave a brief nod, “A logical suggestion.”

The three crossed the plaza to enter the Basilica. The temporary lost Harry as he dashed off to chase some helpless pigeons. That stunt landed Harry in the pram despite his very vocal objections.

There was a bit of a queue to get on their selected tour. While they waited Lily struck up a conversation with several Americans behind them. One of the Americans was surprised they would bring such young child on the trip, or at least while they went to this sight. The other was surprised that English people, who he presumed were Anglican, would want to visit the Vatican, the head and heart of the Catholic Church.

“Actually, my grandmother was Catholic. I went to Mass with her on occasion,” Severus explained.

“Really,” Lily asked. In all the years they had known each other she’d never remembered hearing that.

“Really,” Severus confirmed. “Even if she were not, we could appreciate the beauty of the buildings and artworks.”

Another couple who, turned out to be American Jews heartily agreed with Severus. This couple ended up talking with Severus for much of their wait, mostly about Harry. They had a grandson of a similar age and they were happy to compare notes on his development, and tell more than a few stories about their son (not the grandson’s father) at that age too. Harry was remarkably well-behaved through the wait, but it is hard to cause too much trouble while asleep.

They had to leave the pram at the start of their guided tour. Harry was luckily awake at this point so having walk was not a problem. Keeping him interested, or at least quiet was a different story. Harry wanted to know why the pictures didn’t move, who the people were, and many other things. Severus and Lily got more than one dirty look from others in their group trying to answer Harry’s questions.

Their time in the gardens after the guided tour was much more pleasant. Harry was able to walk/run on his own. He spent a good deal of the tour riding on Severus’ shoulders. The lack guide and group also meant they were free to answer any and all the boy’s questions.

The decided to find something to eat at that point. Harry was getting increasingly cranky. The task was more complicated than anticipated however. The majority of restaurants and cafés very crowded and/or expensive. After about fifteen minutes of walking the discovery the market selling premium foods with a lunch counter. There settled on grabbing something to eat there and then finding a quiet place to eat.

It was a good thing they didn’t stay too long. An overtired Harry melted down before lunch was finished.

“I think we should head to the hotel,” Severus suggested.

“I was going to say just that,” agreed Lily.

There was another bit of walking before they reached their hotel. It was on a side street with the view of a plaza. Severus left Lily long enough to check in and confirm their evening plans were still on. All was well on that front.

All three slept for several hours exhausted from the day’s activities. Severus woke first, awakened by the sound of the phone. Lily groaned as he reached over to answer.  By the time he hung up, Lily was a grudgingly awake.

“Who was that?” She asked.

“Just the front desk. They wanted to know if we liked the room, or if we needed anything.” Severus replied.

“Hmmm…” Lily said sitting up.

“Perhaps we should go and get something to eat. It’s almost dinnertime.” Severus suggested.

Lily shook her head. “I’m not all that hungry yet.”

Severus frowned. He needed to get them out of the room. “Then maybe we could explore the city a bit more. They’re supposed to be a park not too far away. I’m sure Harry would enjoy that. We could get dinner after.”

“That sounds better,” Lily agreed.

It took some close to half an hour to actually get out of the room with waking Harry, getting shoes on, and everything else.

The park, as expected was quite the hit with Harry. He ended up playing with three other children in the game of which Severus had no understanding. How the children were able to communicate through the language barrier fascinated him. It seemed as if it was all done through intuition.

The walk back to the hotel took much longer than the one to the park. It was filled with stopping in shops and snacks from this or that stand. By the time they reach the hotel Harry was complaining about being full.  The adults had done their best (especially Severus as he had plans for their dinner) but even they were not particularly hungry when they returned.

Harry was more than ready for bed by the time they got upstairs. He was dozing in the pram on their way up. He woke what Lily let out an excited squeal at entering the room.

While they were out the hotel staff had come to set up Severus’ surprise. On the balcony stood a small candlelit table set for two, a bottle of wine was waiting there for them. The railing was strung with fairy lights. The plates had silver domes covering what would be Lily and Severus’ dinners.

“Do you like it?” Severus asked.

“Do I like it?” Lily repeated flabbergasted. “It’s wonderful, Sev. But it’s too much. First the trip, now this. I can’t… How can you ever beat this? What about my next birthday, or our anniversary.” Lily teased.

Severus frowned. “I had not considered that. Perhaps I have set the bar a little high for myself. But I did go through the good deal of effort for tonight. I think it best we enjoy it for what it is.”

“Most definitely,” Lily agreed. She stood up on tiptoe to give him appreciative kiss.

Severus is more than happy to meet her halfway. Lily excuse yourself long enough to put Harry down for the night. She was surprised to discover (but moved once again, by his thoughtfulness) had Severus had placed the standard baby monitoring charms on Harry’s cot.

“You certainly paid attention to the details didn’t you?” Lily teased running Severus on the balcony.

“I cannot leave too much to chance. Otherwise you might think I should have ended up in Gryffindor or something,” Severus joked back.

They spent a long time sitting out on the balcony eating, drinking, talking, and enjoying each others' company. Lily found out how Severus had been put in contact by the embassy with this hotel. They had a witch and several squibs on staff. This was not to out of line for a request for a romantic evening. They discussed the plan for next day, and eventually Monday’s upcoming inquiry.

“I wish it was happening any other day,” Severus growled.

“It’ll be alright,” Lily tried to reassure.

“I simply wish I did not have this cloud hanging over your day.” Severus returned.

“It’s one birthday, Sev. If clears your name beyond a shadow of a doubt, wonderful. I can stand losing a birthday for that.” Lily said her frustration clear.

Severus did not know what to say to that. Instead she suggested they retire for the night. They would need to get an early start if they wished to see much of anything before they had to return to England.

The morning was surprisingly tense as souvenirs and clothes were packed away. That was not the only reason. There was still an unresolved fight about Monday. Severus knew he was being stubborn. Lily was right it was just one birthday. Since when had they ever made a big deal of birthdays? Still Severus wanted it to be nice. It was their first as a couple. Lily had gone through a lot for his.

“Get over it, Sev.” Lily scolded him bringing him back to the present.

“I will do my best,” Severus agreed.

“So where do we go now?” Lily asked as they entered the plaza. Suitcase shrunk and packed away.

“I know just the place,” Severus said confidently.

They walked for over half an hour. Finally came to the gorgeous marble fountain. Severus knelt down free Harry from the pram. “It’s the Trevi Fountain,” Severus explained.

He fished a couple of coins out of his pocket. He handed one to Harry, “Go thrown it in,” he urged. They watched Harry do so.

“They say,” Severus continued offering a coin to Lily, “That a coin thrown into this fountain guarantees one will returned to Rome.”

She took it and kissed and him as gentle plop would have been heard at the coin hit the water.

The End.
End Notes:
I didn't post one chapter here. The link to it is here. It isn't explicit, but I after comments I figured I stay with the more Sev & Harry focused chapters here (or chapters where Harry at least makes an appearance).

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1173376/chapters/3909715

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter(s) and that it was worth the wait. I'll have the next up in a next couple of days.

As always thanks to my beta, Pan.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717