What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159964 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 18 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Severus has a very important question to ask...

“As the year progressed, your mother and I’s relationship became more serious. I stayed overnight on occasion. We spent great deals of time with each other, both in and out of your company. By May, Remus was making jokes about when I was to propose. By your birthday, Sirius was too.”

“Your mother and I believed that our relationship was a private matter. We cared little for the comments that occasionally popped up in the press or the ribbing of James’ friends. We would behave in a way we saw fit. This included your aunt receiving a very spirited defense of myself and our relationship from your mother. Lily was unwilling to see me ruthlessly attacked by Petunia. That defense of me stopped Petunia talking to your mother until your sisters’ birth.”

“As painful as the separation was from her sister, it was a benefit to me. I would not have to endure the arrogant rants of your uncle about those he considered freaks, worthless, or somehow beneath him. Still it pained me that your mother was suffering.”

“Aunt Petunia didn’t talk to you or mum until the twins were born?” Harry demanded.

“Yes,” Severus confirmed. “Petunia refused to acknowledge our relationship or receive any sort of message from the afternoon of Dudley’s third birthday party until the girls’ birth announcement. I do not know why it changed at that moment, but Petunia did not send a letter back unopened. She in fact sent a small gift for each girl, but we’re getting ahead of ourselves.”

“As we passed our one-year anniversary as a couple, your mother and I began to talk more seriously about a relationship, our desires for the future and whatnot. As the Christmas holidays drew closer, a plan formed more and more clearly in my mind.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Good evening, Severus,” Minerva greeted, a fresh stack of essays in hand. “How are you this evening?”

“I am well,” Severus returned over the top of one of the essays he was marking.

Minerva had laid the essays down as she slid in beside him. “Do you have any plans for the Christmas holidays?”

“As Deputy Headmistress you well know I will be away for the entirety of the break.” Severus supplied tersely.

“Of course,” Minerva replied. “I simply wondered how you might spend your time. You’ll be seeing Mrs. Potter perhaps?”

Severus frowned, “How I will spend my holidays is none of your business. Nor is whom I spend it with. Now, if you’ll excuse me I need to complete this marking before I depart the castle.”

With a flick of his wand the stack of scrolls he was working with zoomed into his shoulder bag. Severus stormed out of the staff room, students parting like the Red Sea as he made his way to his quarters. Once there he flopped on the sofa.

He was in no mood to work essays, but what he told Minerva was true. He needed to complete his marking before he left the castle. Staying with the Potters over the holiday meant he would have little time for such things, or at least it would take time from doing more pleasurable things.

Severus let out a resigned sigh and set back to work correcting the essays. At the halfway point, he stopped to order tea and sandwiches from the kitchens. It took several hours more after dinner to finish, but finally he was done. He could start his holidays worry free. No, that wasn’t exactly true, but that was an entirely different concern.

Severus put a stack now marked essays in the desk’s out tray. Now all he need do was pack his things and he could be off.

Severus pulled the battered leather case from under his bed. He let it fall open on top of the bed. He was only going home to Spinner’s End, but as the majority of his clothes were at the castle, what was left in Cokeworth was namely summer wear. He put the blue sweater Lupin gave him last Christmas and an older green one in the case.  Next went in several button ups, three pairs of trousers, socks, and underwear. Lastly were four wrapped boxes. These would be Christmas presents for Lily, Black, Lupin, and Harry. A fifth box was tucked safely away in Severus’ pocket.

Severus tested the weight of the small leather box in his hand once more. He’d been carrying it in his pocket for almost a month. He’d found it strangely soothing, for something that could change his life forever. He would find out on Christmas if indeed his life would change at all. Severus let a small smile come to his lips. That was the only a few days away now.

Severus snapped the case shut with a thunk, thankful once again for Undetectable Expansion Charms. Everything packed, he checked his watch. It was just after one in the morning, too late to call on Lily. He would go and see her first thing in the morning. After a quick double check that he had everything he would need for the holiday Severus Floo-ed home.

He woke the next morning to a shrill, tinny ring. It wasn’t until the third ring that he placed the sound. Severus jump from the bed, cursing as his bare feet hit the cold floor. He bolted down the stairs to the kitchen just as the phone rang for the sixth time.

“Hello,” Severus asked breathlessly.

“Hi, Sev,” Lily greeted warmly.

“Lily,” Severus returned.

“I thought you were coming over last night,” Lily pouted.

“Ehhh…,” Severus grumbled shifting from foot to foot on the chilly tile. “It took me longer than anticipated to complete my work at the school. I was going to call you this morning.”

“Alright,” Lily said. “When will you be over?”

“Soon,” Severus looked at the kitchen clock. It was much later that he normally slept, 9:30 AM. “I’ll be over soon as I’m ready for the day.”

“Fine, we’ll see you then.” Lily said hanging up the phone.

As Severus hung up the receiver he wondered what had upset Lily so. She was not normally so clingy. Not wanting to have to cross more cold floor in unprotected feet Severus Apparated back to his bedroom. He made quick work of washing and dressing. He was at Lily’s door less than 20 minutes later.

“If it isn’t the man of the hour,” Sirius Black greeted Severus at the door.

“Excuse me,” Severus demanded of Black.

“It’s your fault Lily’s in such a state,” Black snapped.

“I have no idea what you’re on about Black.” Severus replied.

“If you…,” Black began.

“Sirius stop,” Remus ordered entering the hall. Turning to Severus he said, “Lily’s in the kitchen.”  To his oldest friend he said, “Sirius, you’re being unfair.”

“What have I done?” Severus asked.

“Nothing,” Remus promised.

Severus frowned, but gave a nod to the werewolf and headed off to find his distraught girlfriend.

“Lily,” Severus called entering the kitchen. He was completely unprepared for the impact of Lily small frame colliding with him a moment later.

Severus brought his arms up around her. “What’s wrong? Hush, hush, hush now.” Severus muttered as Lily sobbed into his chest. It was several minutes before Lily calmed enough to speak. When she did, it was one muttered word, “Tuney.”

Severus fought back a groan. Of course, Lily’s horrible sister would put her in such a state. Petunia was one of the few people who could truly upset Lily.

“What did Petunia say now?” Severus asked softly.

Lily shook her head, “She won’t come.”

Severus sighed, “We knew it was unlikely. She made it very clear at Dudley’s birthday that she had no desire…”

“That was six months ago,” Lily cut off.

“Yes,” Severus agreed, “but we all know how well Petunia can hold onto grudges. Did she say anything specific?”

“It’s on the table,” Lily said with a jerk of her head.

“Very well,” Severus said. “Now, let’s have a nice cup of tea and see what horrible things your sister had to say.” Severus urged with a humorless laugh.

“It’s not funny,” Lily grumbled.

“Indeed it’s not, but Petunia just not deserve our ire. Crying only lets her win.” Severus said setting a cup of tea in front of Lily.

His own tea prepared, Severus sank into one of the chairs. He quickly scanned the letter. He was surprised to see how nasty Petunia was. It saddened him that once more that he was the source of Lily’s pain. Petunia said plainly in her letter that she had no desire to talk to Lily if she was in a relationship with Severus. Petunia even went so far as to blame Severus for Lily being a witch, or more accurately a “freak”. There was very little he could do to make this better. Even if he were to break things off with Lily this moment, Petunia would still be jealous of Lily’s powers.

“I’m sorry, Lily flower,” Severus said taking one of her hands in his own.

“I don’t know why she is so… Why does she hate you so much?” Lily asked sadly.

Severus sighed sadly, “I do not know. It may be the facts that I introduced you to magic. It may be that I’m from Spinner’s End. Only Petunia can tell you. I wish I could remedy such matters.”

“I know,” Lily said sipping her tea. “So,” Lily said forcing a more cheerful note in her voice, “you’re free for the holidays now?”

Severus gave her a curious look. “I am.”

“Wonderful. That means you can help us decorate.” Lily said, just a bit of actual cheer in her voice.

“Ehhh… Are you sure I couldn’t be better used to scrub down the kitchen without magic, collecting dragon’s blood… Anything?” Severus all but whined.

“Sev,” Lily said rolling her eyes. She proceeded to drag him out of the kitchen she joined Harry and the Marauders in the living room. He spent the remainder of the day helping with the three adults decorate Lily’s house for the season. Mostly this meant directing Harry out from underfoot. Although, Lupin did convince Severus to help with hanging a garland on the banister.

By dinnertime all were in a cheerful mood. Harry’s eyes are big as saucers as he took the lights, and the Christmas tree.

“What are your plans for the holiday, Severus?” Remus asked handing the other man a bottle of Butterbeer.

“Not much,” Severus said looking toward Lily. “I am free from any duty at the school until the term begins in January. That is as far as I have planned.”

“Are you staying here?” Black asked with a complete lack of tact.

“Sirius,” Lily and Remus yelled at the same time.

“What!” Sirius defended. “If he’s here, it’s not like Remus has to stay over to help with Harry, or you know, you want the company.”

“Where I sleep is none of your business, Black.” Severus’ tone was surprisingly mild.

“Yeah well, I’ll be the first to say the last thing I’d want to hear is your rhythmic creaking.” Sirius said genuinely.

“What do you think Silencing Charms were invented for,” Severus replied just as seriously.

Sirius let out a dog like bark of laughter. Lily and Remus had much more sedate, but equally amused reactions.

The next few days passed quickly. Severus spent much of his time with Lily and Harry, returning to Spinner’s End only to sleep, with the exception of Christmas Eve. Lily asked him to stay over that night, and who was he to say no.

Lily and Severus sat in the living room of Lily’s house. Harry lay passed out on the sofa his head resting in Severus’ lap. Lily was tucked into his other side. The faint sound of Christmas carols could be heard from the radio in the corner. The only other sounds are Harry’s occasional snuffles and the crackling of the fire.

“Can you believe it’s Christmas already?” Lily asked softly.

“I cannot. This year has flown by,” Severus told her.

“In a good way I hope,” Lily prompted.

“The best,” Severus confirmed. “I count myself among the luckiest man in history for the time I have been granted with you and Harry.”

Lily smiled. “Severus Snape the secret romantic, you’re being soppy,” Lily teased.

“I am,” Severus agreed, “but you make me that way.”

“What would your snakes say if they ever saw you this way?” Lily continued.

Severus paused as if in thought. “It would depend on how wise that particular snake was. If they value their memory, they would say nothing. The fools, which is a great deal of them, they too would keep their silence. That is after I Obliviated the memory of the incident.”

Lily sat up, “Severus! You wouldn’t. They’re children.”

“They are,” he confirmed. “However, I have to protect my reputation and in turn the safety of my students, then so be it.” Severus said seriously.

Lily’s eyebrows shot up into her hair. Severus waited, then broke down laughing.

“Your face,” Severus laughed.

Lily glared.

“Lily, you believe me capable of such horrors. I’m hurt.” Severus said placing a hand over his heart.

“You’re horrible.” Lily said settling back into Severus’ side.

“I am,” Severus agreed. He kissed the top of Lily’s head. “You need not worry. I would never do something like that to a helpless child.”

“Good,” Lily said.

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment.

“Should we retire for the night?” Severus asked.

“Not yet,” Lily protested.

“The Marauders will likely…” Severus began.

“I just want to open our presents. Then we can go.” Lily explained, not caring she cut him off.

“We open presents on Christmas morning, after the washing up, “Severus protested.

“That’s the major gifts. We always got to open one thing on Christmas Eve.” Lily corrected.

“And what makes you think I got you more than one thing,” Severus objected.

“I saw. There were four boxes in your case.” Lily told him.

“Exactly,” Severus confirmed. “One for one each of you, Harry, Black and Lupin.”

“But there’s one you keep playing within your pocket,” Lily added.

Damn. He hadn’t realized she’d seen him doing that. He couldn’t make up his mind and went to present it to her. In the end he transfigured the boxed to be identical, mixed them up and slipped one into Lily’s stocking. The other could be opened now, or in the morning.

“Ha,” Lily laughed. “I knew it. I knew you got me something more.” Lily said triumphantly.

Severus let out a put upon sigh. “You’ve got me. Now, does this mean I get to open a gift tonight?”

“Of course,” Lily agreed. She hopped off the sofa to retrieve the package for Severus. Severus shifted slightly to remove the box from his pocket. Harry snuffled at being shifted. Severus ran a hand through the boy’s hair. Harry calmed under his touch. Lily thrust gift wrap blue and silver paper into Severus’ arms.

“Am I to open mine first then,” Severus asked.

“Why not,” Lily said sitting back down.

Severus wasted no time pulling back the paper and found a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard. “Children’s stories?” He asked.

“Don’t look at me like that. I know your mum told them all to you, but as far as I can tell you don’t have a proper copy of the book.” Lily justified.

“I see. I take it that you find my telling of the tales is less than satisfactory,” Severus asked.

“Of course not, but I know you don’t like struggling to remember the details either.” Lily returned.

Severus hummed in agreement. He flipped to the first page. It was an Ancient Runes. This was going to be a challenge. He was fairly certain he still had a syllabary somewhere.

“Do you like it?” Lily asked.

“It’s wonderful. I’m sure it will be of great use in the future. Now, I believe it’s your turn.” Severus said holding out his hand, palm up, the box balanced in the center. He wondered which boxes this might be. There was only one way to find out. “Go ahead, open it,” Severus encouraged.

“What could this be,” Lily asked nobody in particular.

“I don’t know,” Severus said mildly. “You’ll have to open it.”

Lily flipped open the lid to reveal a gold necklace with the rampant lion. There was an almost imperceptible flash of disappointment and then it was gone. “It’s beautiful, Sev. Thank you.”

Severus could sense there was something off in her voice when she said that. He would take that as a good sign.

“I’m glad you like it. Now, might I suggest we retire for the evening? I’m sure will be woken at some ungodly hour by children wishing to open presents.” Severus said.

“Harry knows better than that,” Lily argued.

Severus’ pursed his lips, “I was referring to our canine friends.”

Lily laughed and nodded. She got up and picked up Harry allowing Severus to stand without disturbing the boy’s slumber further.

The pair was woken by very excited Harry before dawn. Severus pulled the bouncing boy down between himself and Lily. After a bit of coaxing he managed to get Harry to settle down for a bit more sleep. Severus’ next wake-up call was much more pleasant.

“Wake up, Sev,” Lily told him as she broke their kiss.

“Must I,” Severus grumbled sleepily.

“Unless you want Sirius and Remus to break down that door on us,” Lily confirmed.

“They wouldn’t,” Severus growled.

“I’m not so sure,” Lily said shaking Harry’s shoulder lightly. “I’m surprised they haven’t done already. Sirius is normally more excited than a kid on Christmas morning. Must be Remus is doing.” Lily said guiding a half awake Harry to the bathroom.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed. He would not mention his comment to Lupin the night before. Lily need not know he had told the werewolf if he or Black arrived before they were invited on Christmas morning Severus would personally ensure that they could never shag again. Remus laughed at the comment, but promised they would wait until summoned.

“I’m going to start breakfast,” Lily told him.

Severus nodded. “I’ll see to dressing Harry.”

Severus let Harry play in the room while he showered and dressed. He emerged not fifteen minutes later to find Harry under Lily’s bed for some reason.

“What are you doing under there, Harry?” Severus said pulling the boy out by an ankle.

Harry held up a ball in explanation, “I see. Now how about we be go help with breakfast.”

“Pancakes,” exclaimed Harry hopefully.

“Perhaps, but first I said we would have you dressed.” Severus said directing the boy back to his room.

“Why,” Harry asked.

“Because the gentleman never leaves his room in a state of undress. Also, I promised your mother.” Severus explained.

The pair made their way to the kitchen ten minutes later. Harry dressed in a green sweater with the reindeer face and jeans. Severus can only hope the sweater was a joke from Black or Lupin.

“Go sit,” Severus told Harry when they arrived in the kitchen.

Harry dutifully complied, climbing into his chair.

“He can open his stocking,” Lily called to them.

By the time Severus had turned to see if Harry had heard, the contents of the boy’s stocking were spread out on the table in front of him. Severus chuckled at the sight. With a shake of his head he headed into the kitchen.

“Harry opening his stocking?” Lily asked.

Severus slipped his arms around her from behind. “He is. He takes after his Godfather too much in that regard. The words were barely out of your mouth before it stocking fillings were spilled all over the table.”

Lily laughed, “James was the same way.”

Severus hummed in agreement. “When are the others arriving?”

Lily leaned back into his embrace, “Not until after breakfast. Remus said something about you asked him not to come over until you Floo-ed.”

“You could put it that way,” Severus confirmed. “How may I be of assistance?” He said letting his hands drop back down to his sides.

“Go sit,” Lily told him. “I’ll manage,” Lily promised at his disbelieving look.

Severus shrugged, but left. Lily came in a moment later plates of pancakes and a pitcher of  pumpkin juice in hand.

“You know I could help with cooking.” Severus said cutting the pancake into bite-size pieces before putting them on Harry’s plate.

“I know,” Lily said. “I like cooking though. Aren’t you going to look at your stocking?”

Severus gave her a curious look. “I was waiting for you.”

“You didn’t have to,” Lily told him.

Severus nodded. “I know, but I wanted to.”

Lily didn’t move to empty her own stocking. Instead she put a large glob of butter on her pancakes.

“You’re not going to look at your stocking?” Severus said casting a hopeful look to the mentioned item hanging from Lily’s chair.

“If you’re willing to wait so am I.” Lily said taking a bite of pancake.

Lily had to take away the toy dragon so Harry would eat his breakfast. It was only after Harry was dismissed in the dishes were sent to washing that Lily set to emptying her stocking. Severus did as well, but his eyes kept moving back to Lily.

This didn’t escape Lily’s notice. “What is it Severus?”

“Nothing,” he said surveying the contents of his own stocking once more. There were a number of chocolates individually wrapped in several vials potions ingredients.

“When we open presents?” Harry demanded standing at his mother’s side.

“Not until Moony and Padfoot are here, sweetie,” Lily told  as she ran a hand through Harry’s uncontrollable locks.

Harry pouted.

“They’ll be over soon.” Lily reassured. “Did you get anything good in your stocking?”

Harry nodded. Lily turned to Severus “Did you?”

“I did. These will be most useful in my brewing.” Severus said holding out the vials.

“You should thank Sirius then. He got those for you. I didn’t even suggest them.” Lily said seriously.

“I will make sure to do that.” Severus said looking at the vials once more. He wondered who Black consulted if it was not Lily. Lupin was not a gifted brewer and that was a generous assessment of his skills. No, it must have been an apothecary, or perhaps, one of the countless women he picked up actually had a brain. Severus wasn’t sure which was more unlikely. He decided to set that aside for now.

“Did you find anything good in your stocking?” Severus asked.

“Not really,” Lily said sadly.

“No,” Severus asked. “Did you check the toe? Sometimes things hide in there.”

Lily gave him an appraising look. Not sure what he was up to until she checked the toe. Her hand closed around a small box. She gave Severus another curious look. “More jewelry, Sev? How unlike you.” Lily joked.

“I am told as we are now dating the bar is set slightly higher.” Severus commented.

“Is it now? We’ll have to see how well you passed it.” Lily said pulling out the box.

It was identical to the one the night before. Could it be matching earrings? It didn’t pass Lily’s attention how stiff Severus had become. Probably not earrings then. What could make him so nervous? Lily flipped open the lid of the box, her free hand coming up to her mouth.

Severus was down on his knee in front of her. Carefully pulled the box from Lily’s fingers. “Lily flower,” Severus said softly. “From the time I was nine years old I dreamed of marrying you and no other. I once thought I lost you forever. Now we have a second chance. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?”

Lily through his arms around his neck

“Can I take that as a yes?” Severus muttered into Lily’s scarlet locks.

Lily nodded into his neck. Severus broke into the big smile she’d ever seen.

“Presents?” Harry whined coming into the kitchen once more.

“Of course, sweetie,” Lily said straightening up.

Harry slunk out of the room. “We can’t make him wait much longer, Sev.” Lily objected.

“Not much longer,” Severus promised. “Only long enough to do this.” Severus kissed her as he placed the ring on her finger.

“I think we should Floo Lupin now. Harry looks as if he’s about to explode with anticipation,” Severus said watching Harry scoot closer to the forbidden presents.

“You go ahead,” Lily said looking down at her ring once more.

Severus Floo-ed Sirius’ residents. Lupin and Sirius stepped out of the fireplace just as Lily entered the living room.

“Happy Christmas,” Remus greeted. He gave Lily and Harry tight hugs. Severus consented to a handshake. Black greeting was similar, though he and Severus only managed to exchange nods. Although, Severus and Black’s relationship had improved greatly over the course of the years, it was far from close. Lily was happy to see it progressing however. She knew how hard it was for both of them to let go of the past.

“Presents now?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Yes love,” Lily said with a shake of her head. “Sirius, would you please hand them out?”

“Fine, but only if I get to open my present first.” Sirius demanded sounding rather like a petulant child.

Severus rolled his eyes while the other adults laughed. Sirius made surprisingly quick work of the large pile of gifts. Harry’s was larger than everybody else's, but that was only to be expected. Lily’s was next, not that wizards felt left out. Severus was mildly surprised with how large his own pile was. Most were from his coworkers at the school from what he saw.

“Do we have to do the will hold watching each other thing,” Sirius whined as the last box was handed to Remus. Harry dug into his gifts before Sirius even finished.

“Yes,” an exasperated Lily said. “I told you before. If you don’t want to respect tradition, you could open your presents elsewhere.”

Sirius pouted, “When Harry gonna have to wait?”

“When he’s old enough, I think I was five or six. Now go ahead and open your first present.” Lily instructed.

Sirius tore into the largest boxing at his side to reveal a leather motorcycle jacket.

“Nice,” Remus said running a hand over the supple black leather.

“Yeah,” Sirius agreed.

“Who was it from?” Lily asked. “They get to go next.”

“From Snape,” Sirius said cocking his head to the side.

Severus nodded, pulling a box from his own pile. It contained a red wool sweater. Severus gave Lupin a disbelieving look. “Red, Lupin? Is this some subtle dig at my House?”

“Of course not, Severus,” the werewolf said holding his hands up in defense. “Lily said you needed more color in your wardrobe. She thought you’d look good in red.”

“I see,” Severus said looking to his lover.

“You do,” Lily confirmed. “Your turn Remus.”

And so it went. Finally there was only one last package to open, a smallish box on Lily’s lap. She pulled back the green and silver paper and opened the paper box to find a red and gold paisley scarf.

“This going to be a tradition now?” Lily asked Severus.

“Perhaps,” Severus said with a shrug.

Lily pushed the scarf away from a hand painted jewelry box. “It’s beautiful, Sev.” She said running a finger over one of the delicately painted lilies. Just then Lily’s ring caught the firelight.

“Hold on,” Sirius demanded.

“What is it now, Black?” Severus demanded.

“What’s that on Lily’s finger?” Sirius demanded.

“It is commonly known as an engagement ring.” Severus said dryly.

Remus and Lily laughed at the look of shock on Sirius’ face.

“Oi,” Sirius protested. “The bat proposes that you didn’t even tell us.”

“You know for an Auror you are rather dense, Black.” Severus jibed.

Sirius glared back. Then after a moment exclaimed. “It’s about time.”

Remus thumped Severus on the shoulder, “Congratulations!”

“What’s going on?” Harry asked.

“Come here, sweetie,” Lily said gesturing to Harry.

Harry came over, Lily pulled him into her lap. “Severus asked me to marry him.”

“What’s that mean?” Harry asked.

“Well, Severus live with us all the time. He would help me take care of you, make dinner, that sort of thing,” Lily explained.

“Like Moony,” Harry asked hopefully.

The adults all laughed. “Sort of,” Severus corrected. “I would sleep in your mummy’s room. Is that okay?”

“Uh-huh,” Harry agreed.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I went back through the last couple of chapters and did my best to clean them up. If there are still issues with them please contact me if you wish to beta. Hopefully this chapter is mostly free of those issues.

Thanks again for reading. I'll see you next time.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717