What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159963 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 21 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Snape family begins to grow...

“The next year was rather uneventful, or as much as any year can be. We celebrated all of the normal holidays: your mother and I’s birthdays, Easter, your birthday. The day that broke this unknown noticeable march of time was the first day of term, September 1st.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“How are you feeling?” Severus asked capping the now properly squeezed from the bottom toothpaste.

Lily had woken up in the morning feeling nauseated. Severus would have liked to stay look after her, but she assured him she was fine, and he had obligations to the school.   He couldn’t afford to stay home as he had many things to do at the school before the start of term.

“I’m fine,” Lily told him. “Why?”

“Am I not allowed to express concern about my family’s health? You said you were feeling poorly earlier this morning,” Severus reminded her.

“I’m better now,” Lily promised.

“Good,” Severus said sincerely.

The following morning, however, Lily was feeling poorly once more.

“I think you should go see the Healers,” Severus advised placing a cold washcloth on the back of Lily’s neck as she vomited into the toilet.

“You’re overreacting Sev,” Lily whined. “It’s only two days. I’m sure it’s just a cold.”

“Perhaps,” Severus agreed. “Or maybe not. Did you consider this might not be the start of a cold, but that you are in fact pregnant?”

Lily scoffed, sitting upright properly, “Don’t be ridiculous, Sev. I can’t be pregnant, I’m on the potion.”

“Nothing is perfect, Lily flower, not even magic.” Severus dismissed.

Lily was silent for a moment. She hadn’t given the idea much thought. Harry was just recovering from a cold. Lily automatically assumed she had picked it up, as one seemed to do when in close quarters with children. Now that Severus mentioned pregnancy it seemed there was a chance that could be the reason for the nausea. Still Lily dismissed it.

“I don’t think I am,” Lily told him. “I probably just picked up Harry’s cold. If I’m still feeling down in a few days, then I’ll go see the Healers, happy?”

Severus nodded. He held out a light green potion. “For the nausea,” he explained.

Lily drank it down the thankfully.

“You realize terms starts in a few days?” Severus asked, almost conversationally.

“I do,” Lily confirmed slowly. She wondered what his point was.

Severus knew he needed to be careful here. He could not make it sound as if Lily was helpless, but he also did not want his wife putting undue stress on herself, especially if she was getting sick.  

“In the past, you have spent the day in London with Harry, as a form of distraction. I wonder if it would be a wise decision this year.” He continued before Lily could protest. “I wish no disrespect. No, I am simply stating how I feel. Both you and Harry having recently been ill. I will not be there as I unfortunately have obligations all day. Lupin will most likely not be up to accompanying you shortly after the full moon.”

Lily sighed, he had a point so far. “We could wait until you get home,” she said quietly.

Severus shook his head. “For whatever reason the feast is one of the few occasions when the Headmaster insists I dine at the school. I will not be home until late.  Harry should be in bed by then.”

Lily was not happy. She frowned at Severus, not that any of this was his fault. She needed to express her discontent to someone though.

“I would suggest calling Black,” Severus offered seeing Lily’s displeasure, “Or find a different outing.”

“I’ll talk to Sirius,” Lily said instantly.

“Yes, well, we all know how dependable Black can be,” Severus snarked.

Lily’s frown deepened. “He’ll do this for me. He knows how hard Harry can be those first few days.”

“Very well,” Severus agreed. He hoped Black would come through for Lily. Normally Severus wouldn’t have insisted on someone accompanying Lily but with both her and Harry not being in top form he just wanted someone there if something were to happen.

Severus was glad he insisted that Black accompany them, as Lily suffered a wave of dizziness and nearly fainted in the middle of Diagon Alley. Sirius had Apperated the three it directly to St. Mungo’s ignoring Lily’s repeated assurance she was fine. They spent much of the morning waiting to be seen by a Medi-wizard since there was no obvious injury. Severus was kept up to date with the progress with regular Patronuses. He knew everything except Lily’s final diagnosis. He can only assume this was because she had not told Black.  

It had taken all of Severus’ mighty willpower not to dismiss his class and head to London when the first silvery black dog appeared. He only grew more anxious as the day went on and he had no more news as to what was wrong with his wife. It was a pointed remark from the Headmaster they kept him at the school until he could “politely” excuse himself from the feast. He left seconds after the last student was Sorted. He stepped into the fireplace and a small painting lined room off the Great Hall to Floo directly home.

“Daddy,” Harry cried excitedly as Severus stepped out of the fireplace.

Severus scooped the little boy into his arms. Harry babbled excitedly about all the things he’d seen at the hospital. Severus occasionally grunted his acknowledgment of listening as he searched the floor for Lily.

“Where is your mother?” Severus asked, cutting off Harry’s story about the wizard with six purple wings and two heads.

“I’m here,” Lily called from the kitchen.

Severus found her fixing a pot of tea. He set Harry down on the counter so that he could pull her into a tight embrace. Harry giggled as he watched his parents. He took the opportunity to not so sneakily grab a biscuit Severus had unthinkingly set him by.

“Don’t you dare, Harry James,” Lily warned. “You had enough sweets already.”

Harry pouted, but put the biscuit back on the plate. Severus smirked slightly at Harry’s downcast expression.

“What did the He-” Severus stopped himself mid-question at Lily’s and meaningful look. She gave a small jerk of her head in Harry’s direction. Severus nodded in return.

“Now Mr. Potter, it is time for little boys to be in bed,” Severus said putting the boy on his feet.

“I’m not sleepy,” Harry protested.

“That may be, but it is time for bed,” Severus said giving Harry a prod between the shoulders.

“Mummy?” Harry asked hopefully.

“You heard your father,” Lily said sternly.

Harry’s pout intensified. Lily waved him to her. She gave Harry a comforting hug. “Go with Daddy and I’ll be upstairs in a few minutes to say good night.”

“Okay,” Harry agreed reluctantly.

Lily kissed his lightning scar a before saying, “Good boy,” and sending him off with Severus.

She joined the pair ten minutes later while Severus was tucking Harry in.

“Settle down,” Severus instructed.

Harry continued to shift under the blankets, “Settle down if you wish to continue to hear the adventures of Miss Mary,” Severus warned lightly.

Harry still instantly. Lily smiled at the interaction. Lily took this as her opportunity to say good night before withdrawing. She did not return downstairs and instead stood just out of sight of Harry’s door. Severus was a good father to Harry. She remembered when he was frightened to be alone with Harry, even for a few minutes. Now he was “Daddy”. He had come so far. She listened to Severus reading.  Harry fell asleep after only a few pages. Who would blame him? She had done the same a number of times, listening to Severus’ melodious voice.

“Lily,” Severus greeted as he pulled shut the door to Harry’s room, leaving it open just a crack.

“Hey,” Lily greeted in return.

Severus quirked a curious eyebrow at Lily’s uneasy tone.

“Lily is some…” Severus began

Lily cut him off, “Let’s go downstairs.”

Severus followed his wife downstairs. They collected the forgotten tea from the kitchen, reheating it with an easy wave Lily’s wand. Lily led the way into the living room and ensconcing herself in the corner of the sofa. Severus sat himself at the opposite end. The whole trip was made in a heavy and awkward silence. This was the most uncomfortable Severus had been in her company for a good deal of time.

Finally Severus could take it no longer. “Lily, whatever is the matter?” Severus demanded.

“You were right,” Lily said nervously.

“Right? Right about what?” Severus asked confused. He didn’t remember discussing anything that had a right or wrong.

“You are right about me getting sick. The Healer confirmed the pregnancy this afternoon,” Lily clarified.

“That’s wonderful,” Severus said happily. His face fell slightly at Lily’s tone. “Are you not happy about this?”

Lily shook her head. “It’s great.” Lily’s tone did not match her statement.

“Lily flower, tell me whatever is the matter,” Severus begged.

Lily spent a long moment looking down into the milky brown of her tea. “You’re not scared?” Lily finally asked.

Severus frowned. Fear had not been at the top of his reactions to the news. No, pride, joy, and excitement, were the overwhelming sensations at the moment.

“Not currently,” Severus admitted.

“Really?” Lily asked surprised. “We only just started talking about having more children. We haven’t done any sort of planning.”

“I am aware,” Severus said calmly.

“That doesn’t worry you?” Lily asked.

“It does not. We have months before the baby arrives. We can buy any sort of supplies we need at that time. I have steady employment at Hogwarts to provide for any of our needs. We are in a position to handle this. What has you so concerned?” Severus asked gently.

“The Healers don’t know what sort of impact surviving Voldemort’s attack might have had. That’s the reason they kept me so long.” Lily explained. “They want to keep a special eye on me, just in case.”

“Very well,” Severus agreed. “If they find something, we will deal with it at the time.”

“What about Harry?” Lily asked.

“What about Harry?” Severus repeated slightly taken off guard. Harry hadn’t crossed his mind in reaction to the news.

“How will Harry take it?” Lily demanded. “We’ve only been married two years, Sev. Harry’s been an only child for five years. He’ll be nearly six by the time the baby is here.”

“Lily flower, calm yourself, please.” Severus begged. “It isn’t good for you to worry so. Harry will adapt. We will all adapt. He’s taken the changes in stride before. I have little reason to doubt he will not do the same here.”

“You think so?” Lily asked uncertainly.

“I do,” Severus reassured. “Did the Healers have anything to say about the pregnancy?”

“Not yet,” Lily said thoughtfully.

“Good,” Severus said sitting back. “I’m sure we’ll be hearing from Black and Lupin about this at any moment.”

“No, we won’t,” Lily said setting aside her tea.

“Why ever not? Those two are not exactly known for their ability to keep secrets… At least from one another. Lupin must know if you told Black,” Severus insisted.

“That’s why I didn’t tell Sirius,” Lily told him. “I couldn’t have them know before you.”

Severus laughed. He grabbed her wrist gently pulling her to his side. Lily snuggled into his chest.

“Thank you Lily,” Severus said kissing the crown of Lily’s head.

“For what?” Lily said snuggling in closer.

“For making me the happiest man in England,” Severus said seriously.

“You’re really happy about this then?” Lily asked one last time.

“I am,” Severus reassured.

They waited a week or so to break the news to Lupin and Black. The two men congratulated them both. Severus made a series of off-color jokes about Severus and Lily’s love life. Remus saved Severus the trouble of defending his honor with a rather sharp jab to the Auror’s ribs.

After a bit of reading Severus and Lily decided to break the news to Harry the week before Halloween. Severus was home for the weekend giving them more chances to have a discussion. Lily had already started laying groundwork. She had started reading stories about siblings and babies more often. Harry hadn’t seemed to notice the trend not that Severus really expected him to.

Finally the day arrived. Severus had taken Harry to the play park, Lily was feeling tired and stayed behind. Severus sent his Patronus ahead to Lily in notice of their imminent arrival. Lily greeted them with hot chocolate and biscuits.

Harry sat in what had once been Lily’s father’s recliner. It was the chair most often occupied by Severus these days, but Severus sat beside Lily on the couch at the moment. Harry was always excited to sit in that chair.

“Harry sweetie, Daddy and I would like to talk to you about something,” Lily broached carefully.

“Am I in trouble?” Harry asked worriedly.

“No. No. Of course not,” Lily soothed. “Why would you think that?”

Harry shrugged. Severus had to stop himself from reprimanding him for the gesture. Severus had been trying to get Harry to use his words versus gesturing or acting out his feelings. They needed Harry to feel safe at the moment, attacking him would not help this.

Instead Severus asked, “Is it because of the last talk we had?”

Harry gave an enthusiastic nod. The last serious talk way had had was after Harry had “borrowed” Lily’s wand while she was in the kitchen. He’d set a bit of parchment on fire, completely accidentally. If Severus had not walked in when he did the fire would have quickly spread.

That had led to Harry’s first ever spanking. It was an experience neither father nor son wanted to repeat.

“It’s nothing like that,” Severus promised.

Harry gave a small nod. He watched as his parents subconsciously linked hands.

“Nobody is in trouble,” Lily reassured. “Daddy and I wanted to talk about something very different.”

Harry gave a small nod.

“Around Easter time you’re going to be a big brother, Harry,” Lily told him.

“How?” Harry demanded.

“Your mother is pregnant,” Severus said plainly.

Harry’s face remained blank.

“What’s pregnant?” The boy asked.

“It means I have a baby growing inside me.” Lily explained.

“Why?” Harry asked.

“Why am I pregnant?” Lily repeated.

Harry nodded.

“I’m pregnant because…” Lily faltered. She hadn’t expected that question.

“Your mother and I wanted to expand our family. We love you very much, Harry,” Severus reassured. “We wanted to share that love with more people.”

Harry didn’t say anything.

“Can you tell us what you’re feeling?” Severus asked gently.

Harry shrugged. Severus sighed. The books said not to push the news if he was not interested. Severus crossed the room pulling Harry into his arms. He then returned them to the couch, beside Lily.

“You’re entitled to feel any way you want,” Severus told him. “You may be frightened, excited, worried, however you wish. It’s natural.”

“I’m gonna be a big brother?” Harry asked.

“You are.” Severus confirmed.

“There’s a baby inside of Mummy?” Harry asked.

“Would you like to see?” Lily asked.

Harry nodded. Lily stood pulling off her baggy knit sweater. A not so small bump was visible under Lily’s turtleneck.

“It’s right there,” Lily said putting a hand over her bump.

“Can I touch it?” Harry asked curiously.

“Go ahead,” Severus urged.

Harry hopped off Severus’ lap Harry rushed over to his mother. Stopping just in front of her. He put a hand up, but stopped.

“It’s okay.” Lily said comfortingly. “You won’t hurt us.”

Harry put his hand on the gentle swell. “It feels funny.” Harry said with a small giggle.

“You think so?” Lily asked.

“Uh-huh,” Harry said rubbing up and down.

“If you think it feels funny now, you should wait a few weeks. You’ll able to feel the baby move then.” Lily explained.

“Really?” Harry asked excitedly.

“You will,” Lily confirmed.

“Harry?” Severus said from his seat on the couch. Harry looked over his arm, not removing it from Lily’s belly.

“Would you like to tell everyone at Halloween?” Severus asked.

Harry gave a huge smile.

“Very good,” Severus said returning the smile.


**************************



“Remember Harry, we’re going to tell everyone at lunch.” Severus said setting Harry’s breakfast in front of him.

But Harry was busy playing with two toy dragons.

“Did you hear me?” Severus asked.

“What?” Harry asked, mouth full of eggs.

“I asked if you remembered the plan for this afternoon. And don’t talk with your mouth full.” Severus chided.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled.

“Do you remember?” Severus asked.

“Leave him alone, Sev.” Lily said, slipping into her seat.

“I simply want…” Severus began.

“If he tells early it’s not the end of the world?” Lily remarked as she spread jam her toast.

Severus nodded, playing with his eggs.

Lily laughed lightly at Severus’ dejected expression.

“Lighten up, Sev. It’ll all work out?” Lily instructed.

This was the first time they had ever had anyone over on Halloween.  Black and Remus would be coming over for lunch, as were Minerva, Filius, and Dumbledore.  The latter was coming over under the auspicious belief they were to talk to Harry about James.  They could tell more favorable tales than either Remus or Black, as they did not know half the trouble James got into.  

The remaining Marauders were the first to arrive.  Remus automatically inquired as to how Lily was feeling.   

“Speaking of which,” Lily interjected before Severus could make another cutting remark. “Harry will be announcing that at lunch. Do your best to look surprised.”

The Marauders gave her a reassuring nod.

Once Harry and Sirius were out of earshot, Remus turned to Lily. “Does anyone who is coming not know?”

“Several,” Severus responded.

“Who?” Lily and Remus asked together.

“The Headmaster, Minerva, and Filius,” Severus supplied.

“That’s everybody from Hogwarts whose coming,” Lily said a bit in disbelief.

“Indeed,” Severus confirmed.

“You didn’t tell anybody you work with?” Remus asked.

“No,” Severus denied.

“Then who did you tell?” Lily asked curiously.

“Madam Pomfrey,” Severus said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Only her? Why her?” Remus asked.

Lily thought she knew what his answer would be.

“She’s the school’s matron. If I had any questions to ask regarding Lily’s pregnancy she was a clear choice,” Severus explained slowly.

Remus nodded. He still had so much to learn about his friend. “Why not tell any other teachers?”

“It was none of their concern. If Lily wished them to know she would inform them when she made the news public,” Severus said.  

Minerva, Dumbledore, and Filius arrived not long before lunch was served. As usual, all three had brought some sort of gift for Harry.  There had been just enough time for Harry to open their gifts before they sat down to eat. Not for the first time Severus questioned the Headmaster’s sanity, giving Harry a pufferskin. It was not atypical wizarding children to have them as pets, but how were they supposed to explain it to the Muggles. Minerva gave him a set of Gryffindor hat, mittens, and scarf.  It was at least practical and very useful. Same could be said for Filius’ book of children’s stories.

“Lunch,” Lily called.

All made their way to the magically expanded table. When everybody had been served Severus tapped the side of his glass. Everybody’s eyes turned to him.

“Harry has something he would like to say,” Severus said giving Harry a nod.

Harry climbed up, so he was standing on his chair. Severus automatically put a hand up to support him.

“Well Potter,” Minerva encouraged.

“Mummy’s going to have a baby,” Harry said excitedly.

There was a rush of excited talk about the news. Severus helped Harry sat back down.

The lunch table broke into much excited chatter.  Everyone wanted to know how far along Lily was, when the baby was due etc.  Severus let the conversation wash over him.  He was glad to know the news was taken so well by these people that mattered so much to him.  

“Well done, Mr. Potter,” Severus said placing a kiss in Harry’s hair. Harry grinned at him.

Before Sirius left, he threw Severus a small cardboard box, a box of condoms.  Only the mutt would give him something so inappropriate. Severus stuffs the box back into the bottom of his pocket hoping to prevent Harry asking questions.

“Condoms? Honestly Black. Are you fifteen?” Severus asked.

Sirius shrugged. “Thought it was fitting with Lily’s news.”

 

**************


At about five-and-a-half months Lily voiced the concern she felt for several weeks already.

“Sev,” Lily said getting her husband’s attention.

“What is it Lily flower?” Severus responded absent-mindedly. He was trying to finish the potions article before they retired for the night.

“I don’t think we have enough for the baby.” Lily said seriously.

Severus sighed. He put a bit of parchment in the magazine to mark his place and turned his attention to his wife. “How could we not have enough for the baby? We have more clothes for it in the rest of the family combined. We have more things and I even know existed for a child. The only thing we could possibly buy is a second crib and no child needs two of  those.”

“We might need two,” Lily told him.

“Were you not listening? No child needs two cribs,” Severus huffed.

“No, but two children both need cribs,” Lily countered.

“Two children? What the devil are you on about?” Severus demanded.

“I think it’s twins, Sev.” Lily clarified.

“Twins?” Severus repeated disbelievingly. “If it were twins don’t you think that the Healers would have mentioned it by now?”

“Fine,” Lily pouted. “We’ll see who’s right when they’re born.”

They need not wait that long. Lily suspicions were confirmed two weeks later at her next appointment. The Healers apologized for the late notice. The second baby was hiding behind its twin from what they could figure.

Harry was excited revenues. It meant he would have more people to play with. It also meant that he got to help pick out more outfits, toys etc. and open more gifts for the impending arrivals.

As Lily’s due date drew closer Harry became to withdraw. He started crawling into bed with Lily and Severus at night, something he hadn’t done on a regular basis for well over a year. Madame Pomfrey reassured Severus this was well within the realm of normal behavior for child and Harry situation.  Severus had to admit he was looking forward to when the babies finally arrived and some of this tension would be relieved. 
The End.
End Notes:
Hope you all enjoyed this chapter.

Thanks to my beta, Pan.

Next time: The twins arrive and Harry adjusts to being a big brother.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717