What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159933 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 23 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry's sixth birthday

“Babies are boring,” Harry stated at the end of his father story.

Severus sighed. He wouldn’t agree with Harry’s comments, no matter how much he thought the assessment was true.

“They have to learn everything. You went through every stage your siblings have: the crying, constant nappy changes, sleeping all day, everything,” Severus explained.

“They’re still boring. You can’t play with them or anything,” Harry protested.

“As I said, they have to learn everything. They have to grow strong enough to use their arms, legs, and things.” Severus reaffirmed.

Harry remained unconvinced.

Severus chose then to return them to their main discussion. “I mentioned earlier, your mother and her sister did not speak for several years because your aunt did not approve of the relationship between your mother and I,” Severus began.

“Why doesn’t Aunt Petunia like you?” Harry asked.

“That is a very complicated question, Harry,” Severus said carefully.

“Why?” Harry asked.

“It is not one thing that makes your aunt dislike me. It is several things put together that earn her disapproval.” Severus said.

“Like what?” Harry pressed.

Severus sighed. He did not want to have to try to explain this to his son. How do you explain prejudice to a 10-year-old? Harry was supposed to respect Petunia (no matter how much Severus disliked it and her) because she was an adult and his aunt. Harry should have a decent impression of family members. Harry should at least be given the opportunity to form the negative impressions on his own, not just inherit Severus’ biased views.

“Dad?” Harry asked to draw Severus’ attention back to him.

“Yes Harry, I was contemplating how best to explain this to you,” Severus said slowly.

“So…?” Harry pressed.

“You are aware of the prejudice Remus faces because of his condition?” Severus inquired.

“You mean like how people don’t like him because he’s a werewolf?” Harry asked. He didn’t know why his dad would bring that up when they were talking about his aunt.

“That is what I am referring to,” Severus confirmed. “People have never met Remus will make judgments of him based on his condition.”

“That’s stupid,” Harry interjected. “Remus is nice and super good at Defense and…”

Severus held up his hand to halt Harry’s ramblings. “I am well aware of his many positive attributes. Were I not, I would not have named him Godfather to your siblings. The point here was, despite his many qualities, most people would have overlooked Remus for any sort of position because of one thing beyond his control.”

Harry frowned at his father’s comment, but didn’t say anything.

Severus continued to speak, “Like many in Cokeworth, your aunt developed a distaste for the people who lived in Spinner’s End and that side of the river in general.”

“What’s wrong with Spinner’s End?” Harry demanded.

“The people there make less money than the people who live closer to us. They tend to have less education too,” Severus supplied.

“So…?” Harry asked.

“So, nothing. That is enough for people to see themselves as better.” Severus explained.

“That’s stupid,” Harry said just as firmly as his defense of Remus.

“It is,” Severus agreed. “And yet, many people hold such opinions. As I said, your aunt developed this prejudice. She did it before any real understanding of what it meant. She treated me poorly and I reacted badly to it. I was not very nice to her.”

Severus took his time taking another breath, “Like your aunt, I too had developed early prejudices. I did not like Muggles.”  

Severus would not sugarcoat this for his son. He could not make Petunia seem totally at fault.  “I had limited experience with Muggles, namely my father, but what I had experienced was very unpleasant. I thought all Muggles would be like him and my mother did little to nothing to dispel such notions.”

“But you like Mum?” Harry pointed out.

“But your mother is not a Muggle. She has magic.” Severus reminded Harry. “I didn’t care if the person was Muggle-born or Pure Blood. They need only have magic for me to see them as worthy.”

“That’s…” Harry started to say.

“Stupid.” Severus finished for him. “I am aware, but I was young and foolish.”

“I was going to say ‘weird’,” Harry corrected.

“It is that too,” Severus conceded.

“So Aunt Petunia doesn’t like you ‘cause you used to live on Spinner’s End and you were mean to her as a little kid?” Harry asked, seeing if he understood everything his father had told him.

“Add being jealous of my ability to do magic and you have the basic idea,” Severus confirmed.

“Aunt Petunia hates magic,” Harry protested. “Remember how mad she got when Dahlia Summoned that biscuit jar at Dudley’s birthday party?”

“I do remember.” Severus replied coolly. “However, you should remember I have known your aunt almost twice as long as you’ve been living.”

“Your aunt hates magic because she cannot do it. As much as your aunt pretends she wants to be average, she really wants to be special. However, she is not in the way she wants to be, so she hates those who are different.” Severus explained. Severus hoped he’d not ruined Harry’s impression of his aunt.

“Okay,” Harry said after a moment.

‘Okay.’ What was that supposed to mean? Severus wondered. He would have to ask Harry exactly what he meant by that later. We needed to get back to their main discussion.

“As I was saying, your aunt did not approve of your mother’s and I’s relationship. She refused to attend our wedding and did not speak to us until after your sisters’ birth. Your sixth birthday was the first time we spoke to your aunt in person in three and a half years. We had only a few short phone calls and a package for Dahlia and Iris’ presents before this. It had the potential to be a very eventful day.” Severus explained.

“In case there was a row we asked Petunia to arrive early. It would give her and your mother a chance to talk without being overwhelmed by other guests. All party business was left to Remus, Black, and myself. Which really meant Remus ordering Black and me about while he kept an eye on you children.”

“Your aunt arrived just after breakfast…”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The adults sitting at the breakfast table looked up at the sound of the car pulling into the drive. There was a moment before the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it,” Harry said jumping from his seat.

“You will not,” Severus snapped. He took Harry by the shoulder, redirecting him back to the table. “Finish your breakfast, please.”

Harry obediently sat down. Severus watched Harry pick up his piece of bacon before heading for the front door. Halfway down the hall Severus tripped over one of Harry’s toys.

“Dammit!” Severus explained. “Harry James Potter! You were told to clean this mess up! If you are willing…”

“Severus!” Came Lily’s angry reproach.

Severus stopped his rant kicking the toy aside. He took a deep breath and continued down the hallway. Steeling his nerves, Severus turned the handle. There stood Petunia Dursley.

“Good morning, Petunia,” Severus greeted.

“Severus,” replied Petunia. “I was expecting Lily.”

“She’s a bit busy at the moment.” Severus explained stepping aside to let Petunia into the house.

“I heard some shouting,” Petunia commented.  She sneered at Chaucer who came to investigate the sound.  She visibly flinched as the cat rubbed against her ankles.    

“It was nothing serious. Harry seems to be under the misguided impression that because it is his birthday, he need not do his chores. I tripped over one of his toys.” Severus explained.  “Shoo…” Severus muttered, nudging Chaucer out of his way.

“I see.” Petunia said critically.

Severus let Petunia into the living room. There they found Lily feeding Dahlia.

“Is she done?” Severus asked.

“Just about,” Lily confirmed. “Hi Tuney,” Lily said giving her sister a winning smile.

“Lily,” Petunia greeted, her voice losing much of the icy tone it had when speaking to Severus.

Lily handed a now feed Dahlia to her husband, receiving Iris in return. “I hope you don’t mind,” Lily directed to her sister.

Severus disappeared down the hallway, burp cloth over his shoulder.

“He seems very comfortable with them,” Petunia observed. The surprise in her voice clear.

“He is.” Lily agreed. “He’s been the burp and nappy man since the girls were born. So he’s had plenty of practice.”

Petunia hummed in acknowledgment.

“You’re here very early, Tuney. Did you leave at dawn?” Lily asked.

“No, we drove up last night, spent the night in Manchester.” Petunia told her. “Vernon and Dudley are on their way back to the hotel now.”

“They should have stayed. Harry could have used somebody to play with while we dealt with all party decorations and things.” Lily said sadly.

“Yes, well I was not sure how well they would have been welcomed,” Petunia said coldly.

“Oh,” Lily said sadly. “You… They would have been welcomed.”

“Vernon doesn’t want our son exposed to any of your…” Petunia continued.

“Magic?” Lily asked.

Petunia gave a tense nod.

“Probably best they’re not here for the setup then. Still we would love them to come to the party. Harry should get to know his cousin.” Lily told her.

“We shall see,” Petunia said coldly.

Lily sighed. “Tuney.”

“What is it Lily?” Petunia asked.

Lily struggled to find the right words. “What did… How come… Why did you come? Why now?”

Petunia took a sharp breath through her overly large teeth. The two women sat in silence, the only sound in the room coming from the baby at Lily’s breast.

“Tuney,” Lily asked softly, after several tense moments.

“Perhaps I should not have come.” Petunia said uncertainly.

“No Tuney, please that’s not what I meant.” Lily moved Iris to her shoulder. “I’m glad you’re here. I just…”

“Wanted to know why now?” Petunia supplied.

“Yeah,” Lily confirmed.

“Because of them,” Petunia said with a pointed look at the baby on her shoulder.

“Them?” Lily asked still confused.

“Your daughters,” Petunia clarified.

“Dahlia and Iris?” Lily said still very confused. Why would Lily having more children make her sister want to speak to her again despite Lily’s many attempts at outreach over the last several years? “What did the girls have to do with it?” Lily asked.

“Everything,” Petunia said sharply.

“You’re not making any sense Tuney,” Lily told her sister.

“And you are being deliberately obtuse,” Petunia snapped back.

“Why can you just tell me?” Lily snapped.

“I was worried about you.” Petunia finally explained.

Lily shook her head. “What you have to worry about?”

“Don’t be stupid, Lily.” Petunia snapped. “I had to worry about HIM.”

“Him? Him?” Lily tried to puzzle out exactly who her sister met. “You mean Sev,” she said after a moment.

Petunia nodded in confirmation. “What does that boy from Spinner’s End know of proper family?”

Lily took a deep breath. She could not stand to lose her temper now. Lily wondered exactly what Severus coming from Spinner’s End that made her sister question Severus’ ability to parent. “So what if he’s from Spinner’s End?”

“Do you forget what his parents were like?” Petunia demanded.

“I know what they were like better than you. That has nothing to do with Severus coming from Spinner’s End and everything to do with his father having a drink problem.” Lily supplied.

Petunia did not respond.

“Still,” Lily continued. “Severus and I started dating three and half years ago. Why check on his parenting abilities now? Harry’s been here the whole time.”

Petunia did not say anything for a long time. “I was hoping you would come to your senses. The boy was not his. If you left there was no permanent link to him. You would finally be rid of him. Now you have his children, he will always be a part of your life.”

Lily was not sure how she was supposed to respond to that. Petunia had never liked Severus, that Lily had always known. It seemed, her sister thought her relationship with the wizard was a passing phase and that would be the end of things. Lily was not sure if she was hurt that Petunia had not cared enough to worry about Harry’s welfare, or in a way touched by her sister’s misguided concern.

There was a gentle rap on the door, followed by Remus his head sticking around it. “Is it safe to enter?” He asked.

“Come on in, Remus.” Lily said refusing to let her spirits rise at the werewolf’s joke.

“Lily,” Petunia hissed. “You’re…”

Lily rolled her eyes at her sister scandalized expression. “It’s not like he hasn’t seen before.”

Petunia gasped.

“Oh, take the stick out of your ass, Tuney. It’s not as if I’m showing off my goods to the whole village. Remus helps me with the girls while Sev is at work.” Lily explained.

Petunia gave a small nod.

“By the way, Remus this is my sister Petunia. Petunia this is my friend Remus Lupin.” Lily said introducing them.

“Pleasure to meet you Petunia,” Remus said warmly.

Petunia took the werewolf’s pre-offered hand, but did not respond. She was too busy taking in the wizard slightly worn appearance. “What do you do? When you’re not helping my sister that is.” Petunia asked him.

Remus looked to Lily who gave a small shrug.

“Some things here and there, but mostly I help your sister with Dee and Iris.” Remus replied.

“Can you get no proper work?” Petunia asked.

Remus bristled at this, but calmly replied, “As a matter of fact, I can’t. I am what in the Muggle world you would call ‘disabled’.”

“You appear perfectly healthy to me,” Petunia said looking him over once more.

“That’s the thing about appearances, they can be deceiving.” Remus bit out. “But if you’d like, I can show you just how able-bodied I am on the next full moon.”

“Remus,” Lily chided while a scandalize Petunia hissed, “I never.”

“Petunia, Remus’ condition may not be visible, but is very real. It is something beyond his control and makes him a bit of an outcast in the wizarding world.” Lily explained.

Petunia sniffed disapprovingly.

Hoping to break the tension, Lily asked. “What did you want, Remus?”

Remus broke his glare exchange with Petunia long enough to reply to Lily. “Severus wanted to know if you’d like him to take Iris and if your sister and/or her family will be joining us for lunch.”

Lily held out the baby as an answer to the first part of his inquiry. For the second, she looked to her sister. “Are you staying Tuney?”

Petunia pursed her lips, “If you would still like me to.”

“Tell him they are,” Lily translated. “How is everything coming?”

Remus gave a small laugh. “Last I knew Sirius and Severus were battling over the decorations being animated. Sirius keeps forgetting that most of the children coming here are Muggles.”

Lily gave a small nod. “Tuney would you like some tea?”

Petunia gave another nod. The three walked back to the kitchen in silence. Remus placed Iris in the swing next to her sister’s. Then made a sharp flick of his wand.

“What did you just do?” Petunia demanded.

“A simple nappy change.” Remus replied calmly. “Lily and Severus may prefer to do it the Muggle way, but what’s the point of being a fully qualified wizard if you don’t use your magic every once in a while.”

“What he really means to say, is he doesn’t like touching dirty nappies,” Lily said laughing.

“Not if I can help it,” Remus confirmed.

“You’re still mad about that time Harry peed in your face.” Lily said laughing again.

“Not mad,” Remus protested, “traumatized.”  He shoved Chaucer out of one of the chairs taking a seat at the table.

Lily rolled her eyes. She set the tea kettle on the table by Petunia and Summoned five mugs. With another flick of her wand a silver doe appeared before disappearing down the hallway. Remus put out a package of biscuits. A moment later Severus and Sirius came into the kitchen.

“You can’t possibly believe that O’Connor is the better Seeker then Olson, Snape.” Sirius said in disbelief.

“I can and I do,” Severus said dismissively. He placed a kiss on top of Lily’s head in exchange for the cup of tea she handed him. He did not take a seat at the table beside Lily as she had hoped, but went to stand beside the counter.

“Where’s Harry?” Lily asked.

“Time out,” Sirius said snatching several biscuits.

“Why?” Lily asked.

“His dad is a mean git.” Sirius supplied.

Severus rolled his eyes. “He failed to clean up the mess in the hallway.” Severus explained.

“It’s his birthday,” Sirius countered.

“They are a hazard to navigation. Or did you fail to realize that even after your face hit the floor?” Severus mocked.

Remus and Lily chuckled at Sirius’ embarrassment. Sirius went to retrieve Harry and to miss anymore laughter at his expense.

“Harry,” Lily called the boy to her side once he entered the kitchen. Harry happily crawled into his mother’s lap. “Harry, this is your Aunt Tuney. Do you remember her?”

Harry gave a shake of his head. Lily was slightly relieved for that. The two hadn’t had the best of introductions.

“She and her family are going to come to your party. Is that okay?” Lily asked.

“Presents?” Harry asked hopefully.

“Harry,” an exasperated Lily exclaimed.

“It’s not polite to demand presents from your guests.” Severus chided. “Can we take it you are fine with them attending?”

Harry nodded.

“Petunia, perhaps you should call your husband.” Severus suggested.

Petunia excused herself to use the phone out in the hallway.

“How did you know that her husband was at the hotel?” Lily asked once her sister was out of earshot.

Severus picked up the baby monitor behind him tipping it from side to side slightly. “After your last meeting with her, you really believe I would let you face her with no backup?”

Lily was touched once more by her husband’s protectiveness of her.

The Dursleys arrived not long before the other guests. The two youngest Weasley children were in attendance and were easy to identify by their wild red hair. Severus made sure to introduce Arthur Weasley to Vernon after the wizard made comment about being interested in Muggle artifacts. Vernon seemed to be torn between being thrilled about being able to talk about his damned drills to someone who was actually interested and horrified to his core by speaking to a wizard. Severus smirked slightly to himself for his own cleverness.

“You’re horrible,” Lily said coming to stand by him.

“As you are so fond of telling me.” Severus agreed linking their fingers together. “Where’s Petunia?”

“Talking to a few of the other Muggle parents.” Lily said pointing over to the corner of the garden.

Harry ran by followed by a pack of children. Severus saw all but his nephew in the group. Severus cast an eye around for the boy.

“What’s wrong Sev?” Lily asked.

“Where’s Dudley?” He asked in response.

Severus found him before Lily had chance to reply. The boy in question was by the cake, clearly picked at.

“Excuse me,” Severus said dropping Lily’s hand.

“Desist that this instant, Mr. Dursley.” Severus commanded, standing behind Dudley.

The boy turned his stupid, watery eyes up to Severus. “Huh?”

“Stop what you are doing to that cake this instant.” Severus said slowly and clearly.

“Why?” Dudley demanded.

“That cake is not yours. Even if it was, we are currently not having cake. We’re playing games at the moment. Now, step back from the cake.” Severus snapped.

“You’re not my dad.” Dudley replied petulantly.

“For which you should be very glad.” Severus said dragging Dudley away from the cake by his shoulder. Severus marched the boy over to his mother.

“You let go of my son, Snape.” Petunia ordered.

“No, not yet.” Severus refused. “Your son was caught red-handed defacing his cousin’s birthday cake. When told to desist, he cheeked me. He owes Harry an apology.” Severus explained.

“Go tell Harry you’re sorry, Dudders.” Petunia conceded.

“Why?” Dudley whined.

Petunia paused. This was obviously not a conversation they had very often. Then again, they often didn’t have to have to explain why Harry had to apologize, he did so when prompted. Clearly, this was not the case with Dudley.

“Diddy-dum if you won’t say sorry, you can’t have any cake later.” Petunia said.

Dudley gave the idea some thought, before heading off across the lawn. Harry came running up to Severus a moment later.

“Dud said, you said he had to say sorry for messing up my cake. What did he do?” Harry asked.

“Nothing you need worry about,” Severus dismissed. “It will be righted by the time you blow out the candles.”

“Okay,” Harry agreed reluctantly. “He’s not really sorry. He said he only did it to get a piece.”

“I’m not surprised,” Severus told her son. “Do not worry, I have no intentions of giving him a piece.”

Severus held true to his word. Vernon bellowed for several minutes to no effect. Petunia found it much easier method of undermining Severus, giving the boy her own piece.

The afternoon came to an end with Harry opening his presents. There were several toys from his classmates, tickets to a Man-U match, and a junior racing broom from Sirius (that was only opened once the Muggles left).

The Dursleys stayed for dinner of takeaway fish and chips.

“Are you still worried about me?” Lily asked.

“Potter may have been a freak, but at least he was a wealthy freak. He could look after you. Snape… He’s a better parent than I would have expected.” Petunia said reluctantly.

It was a wonder how differently two people valued traits in their partners. Lily could care less about how wealthy Severus, or James were. What mattered to her with how much they loved and supported each other. It seemed to material wealth was all that mattered to Petunia. Still, Petunia had said Severus was doing a good job. Or at least, as close to that as Lily expected to hear her sister say about Severus. She would count it as a victory.
The End.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed. As always, thanks to my beta, Pan.

Next time: Harry starts school.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717