What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159989 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 25 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Harry having problems at school.

“From what I remember your first day went rather well,” Severus recounted.

Harry shrugged, “It was okay.”

“You did not inform us of any problems.” Severus commented.

Harry gave another shrug.

“Like any young child who has magic, you are prone to bouts of accidental magic,” Severus continued. “We knew there was a chance we might have to clean up its effects at your school. We did not think it would be so soon.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry sat curled into his father’s side as the pair watched a television program before Harry went to bed. The boy didn’t seem to be that interested in the show, as he was currently exploring the scars on Severus’ hands. Lily was out for the night with friends, Dahlia and Iris already in bed.

“Is everything alright?” Severus asked as his son, Harry traced the outline of the burn Severus received as a toddler when he’d fallen on a radiator. Severus’ father had refused to take him to the doctor and his mother did not have the ingredients necessary prepare a burn salve.

“Harry?” Severus asked again when the boy did not respond.

Harry gave an indifferent shrug.

“Words, Harry,” Severus chided.

“It’s fine,” Harry mumbled in response.

Harry’s response did not put Severus’ mind any further at ease. In fact, it worried him even more so. The man had too much experience with sullen Slytherins not to realize something was going on.

“Harry, you know if something is bothering you, you can always talk to your mother and I?” Severus told him.

Harry nodded, now tracing the faint outline of the Dark Mark on Severus’ forearm. Severus fought back a flinch as he did so.

“Did you hear me?” Severus asked.

“Yeah,” Harry replied.

“And there’s nothing you wish to discuss?” Severus pushed.

Harry shook his head.

“Very well,” Severus said. Looking up, he checked the clock atop the television. “It’s bedtime.” Severus told his son.

“Do I have to?” Harry whined.

“You do,” Severus said standing.

Harry flopped gracelessly onto his face, his support gone.

“Come now, Harry,” Severus urged.

Harry dragged his feet upstairs. Severus left him to prepare for bed, returning about ten minutes later. Harry was just pulling his pajama top over his head when Severus came in.

“Have you brushed your hair and teeth?” Severus asked, moving Chaucer out of the way so he could sit on the end of Harry’s bed.  The cat glared at him for disturbing her rest, but settled back down on the opposite side of the bed.

Harry nodded.

Severus nodded in return. “In,” he demanded.

Harry climbed into the covers. Severus tucked them around Harry’s small frame.

“Shall we continue with the adventures of Ms. Sara Crewe?”

Harry nodded again. Severus skipped to where the pair had left off the night before. Severus had been reading for a few minutes when Harry interrupted.

“Why do those girls have to be so mean?” Harry demanded.

“They do not need to be so mean to Sara, but they feel they have the right given her change of circumstance.” Severus explained.

“What, because she doesn’t have the money anymore they get to be mean to her? That’s not fair,” Harry protested.

“It is not,” Severus agreed. “A person should be treated in accordance with their character.”

“What’s that mean?” Harry asked.

“It means you should always treat people the way you wish to be treated. However, if a person is treating you poorly, saying unpleasant things to you, or being physically aggressive you may react to protect yourself,” Severus advised.

“Does that mean the next time Dud tries to chase me up a tree I can hit him?” Harry asked.

Severus shook his head. “If you’re being chased, you should run. If your cousin is going to hit you, you may return the blow. The best thing would be to tell an adult about it. With your cousin make sure an adult is not your aunt or uncle. They will only side with Dudley, I am sure. Harry, this advice gives you the right to protect yourself, no more. I have no desire to hear my son has become a bully. You may react, but do not go out of your way to start a fight. Am I understood?” Severus asked seriously.

“Okay Dad," Harry replied dutifully.

Severus read Harry for another ten minutes or so, the boy’s eyes drooping. Severus shored up the pillows around Harry before placing a kiss on the child’s brow and leaving the room. He quickly checked on the girls, ensuring everything was all right there. Severus returned to the living room to read until Lily came back home.

Lily found him there almost two hours later, immersed in some potions volume or another. Lily sank down beside her husband. Severus continued to read, apparently completely oblivious to her arrival.  Chaucer did not neglect her. No, the ginger and white cat happily curled up on her lap while they waited for Severus to finish what he was reading. Lily sat there petting the cat, wondering just how long it would take Severus to acknowledge her presence. Her answer, just under ten minutes.

“How was your evening?” Severus asked, slipping a ribbon between the pages to mark his spot.

“It was fine,” Lily said.

Severus could tell she was annoyed about something.

“What have I done?” Severus asked his wife.

“More like what you didn’t do,” Lily corrected. “I sat here for ten minutes, Sev. You didn’t say one word to me. As far as I can tell, you didn’t even know I was here.”

“Of course I knew you were there,” Severus protested.

“And why didn’t you say anything?” Lily asked.

“You failed to say anything either,” Severus protested. He had been having a rather enjoyable evening, he had seen to all three of his children. He spent time reading, for pleasure, something he rarely got to. Now, this was one of the most bizarre fights he and Lily had ever had. At least when they were fighting about hanging out with Death Eaters want-to-bes, he knew what they were fighting about.

Severus took a deep breath. He may not know what started the argument, but he knew he had no desire to continue it.

“I am sorry I did not say ‘hello’ to you when you arrived. You forgive me, Lily flower?”

Lily smiled at him, “Of course.”

“How was your evening?” Severus asked again.

“It was fine, I told you that already.” Lily replied.

“What did you do?” Severus asked.

Lily told him about dinner with several of her Muggle friends. By the end of her talk all the latest village gossip and the plot of the film they had gone to see.

“How was your evening here?” Lily asked.

“Fine,” Severus replied clearing away the dishes from his tea. “The girls went down fine. I think Iris might be coming down with something. Harry and I had pizza for dinner and watched the film on the telly.”

Lily nodded.

“Lily,” Severus asked.

“Have you noticed anything going on with Harry last few weeks?”

Lily frowned, “Why do you ask?”

Severus shook his head, “I am probably just being over concerned.”

“What’s wrong?” Lily demanded.

Severus sighed. He had opened the door, he needed to go through with it. “It is just Harry did not finish his dinner. This is not the first time last several days. I didn’t give it much thought then, they were dishes he never particularly cared for anyway. But tonight, I’ve never seen the boy eat less than two slices.”

Lily nodded.

“He was not running a fever when I checked. Then, when we were watching telly he was strangely withdrawn.” Severus explained.

“What do you think is wrong?” Lily asked.

“As I said, I’m probably worrying over nothing.” Severus said trying to downplay his concern.

“What is it, already, Sev?” Lily demanded.

“I fear Harry might be being bullied.” Severus said sadly.

“Bullied by whom?” Lily demanded.

“I do not know. Harry told me that everything is fine at school. As the head of Slytherins, I have seen my fair share of this behavior. There’s something bothering Harry if it is not at school, I don’t know what it could be. I am going to keep a closer eye when I drop-in at school in the morning,” Severus explained.

“Good,” Lily agreed. She gave a sad sigh. “Why would anybody bully Harry?”

Severus shook his head. “You don’t need a reason. The bully wants to feel better about themselves by making others feel bad about. If Harry is and/or other children are being victimized, it needs to be put to stop. These things only get worse with time.”

As promised, Severus kept an eye on his son on the playground. Harry seemed fine when with one of the groups of boys he joined. When the other group came to join them, that’s when the trouble seemed to start. Even from this far, Severus could tell there was something bothering Harry.

This was not good. He would have to have a word with Harry’s teacher, if not the headmistress. Whatever was going on with these boys needed to be stopped as soon as possible.  As it turned out, Harry’s teacher sent a note home with him that afternoon. Harry, it seemed had gotten onto the roof of the canteen.

*********************

“Good evening,” Severus greeted coolly as he stepped away from the fireplace.

“Hi,” she replied. “How is everything at school today?”

Severus rolled his eyes and began to recount his day, “I somehow managed to survive. One of the the fourth year Hufflepuffs managed to nearly cut their finger off because they were too busy making eyes at a girl across from them. A seventh year Ravenclaw believed she should be allowed to depart from the instructions on the board…”

“You did that all the time,” Lily interjected.

Severus continued as if she had said nothing. “The dunderhead managed to nearly blow up the classroom. If she does this once more she is out of my class. I don’t care who her uncle is. The child is a menace.”

Lily sat back and let him vent. He would be better once he got it out of his system. Severus continued on for several minutes, at points not even speaking in complete sentences. Clearly this child was in danger.

“All done now?” Lily asked when Severus finally stopped rambling.

Severus slumped into his favorite chair. “Yes,” he grumbled.

“In case you were wondering, Harry’s teacher sent a note home with him today.” Lily said.

Severus looked up, “What happened?”

“Somehow your son managed to get on top the canteen at school today.” Lily explained.

“On top of the canteen? Why on earth was he up there?” Severus demanded.

Lily shrugged. “He says he doesn’t know how he got up there.”

“He didn’t climb then?” Severus asked.

Lily shook her head. “He says he didn’t. He said they were running in the yard and the next moment he was on the roof.”  

Severus hummed in acknowledgment. “Accidental magic,” he said a moment later.

“Clearly,” Lily agreed.

“The question is why?” Severus muttered.

“Did you see anything this morning?” Lily asked.

Severus nodded. “I planned on having a word with his teacher about it soon. There was something very clearly off with his interaction with one group of boys.”

Lily frowned. She didn’t want to hear that  her son was being bullied.

“We can ask him about it tonight.” Severus declared. “Where are the girls?” He asked looking at the clock. Typically they were up by now.

“Letting them sleep a bit. They had a hard time going down for a nap. We should probably get them up soon.” Lily told him.

“Where’s Harry?” Severus asked.

“He’s hiding.” Lily supplied.

“Why is he hiding?” Severus asked.

“He’s six, Sev. He scared you’re going to be mad at him.” Lily explained.

Confused Severus asked, “Why? Of course I’m not mad at him.”

“Don’t tell me that. Harry’s the one who needs to hear it.” Lily told him.

“Did you tell him I wouldn’t be angry?” Severus asked.

“Obviously, but I said we needed to have a talk about this.” Lily continued.

Severus frowned. He didn’t want his son to fear him the same way he had grown up fearing Tobias.

“It’s okay. He isn’t scared of you, but he scared he’s in trouble.” Lily told him.

“If you told him he is not, why would he not believe it?” Severus asked.

Lily shrugged. “It’s the first time a teacher sent a note home. He knows you do that to the students who are in trouble. He couldn’t help, but be worried.”

A cry came over the baby monitor.

“I’ll go get her,” Severus said rising from his seat. Should I bring Iris as well?”

Lily shook her head. “Let her sleep, but you should go talk with Harry.”

“I plan to,” Severus said. He returned a moment later a fussy Dahlia in his arms.

“Do you have any idea where Harry might be?” Severus asked.

“No,” Lily said taking her eldest daughter.

“Very well, I shall return.” Severus said setting out to search for his son.

Severus went to Harry’s room. The boy wasn’t there. Nor was he in the hall closet, Severus’ office, or under the dining room table. Severus frowned. Where could the boy have gone? Severus sunk down onto his bed. He just saw a flash of a foot before it disappeared under the bed once more. Harry was hiding under his parents’ bed. That was new.

Severus cut off the bed and sat on the floor instead. “Harry, will you come out from under there, please?”

Harry didn’t respond. Severus was fairly certain the boy hoped by not responding, the man would leave him alone.

“I know you’re under there, Harry. You need to come out now.” Severus said a bit more sternly. “You’re not in any trouble for the note.” Severus continued.

A pair of green eyes came into view.

“I’m not?”  Harry asked.

“You’re not,” Severus confirmed.

“But Mummy said...” Harry continued.

“That we need to have a talk. That does not mean you’re in trouble. What happened today was nothing bad. Things like it happened to many young witches and wizards. Now, will you please come out so that we can discuss this properly?” Severus pleaded.

Harry hesitated a moment, but then slowly crawled out from under the bed. His face was covered in what appeared to be the remains of chocolate biscuits.

“No dessert for you tonight,” Severus observed.

“You said I wasn’t in trouble.” Harry pouted.

“And you are not, though little boys who certainly ruined their appetites with chocolate biscuits do not get dessert tonight as well.” Severus explained.

Harry frowned.

“Thank you for coming out,” Severus said pulling Harry to him for a hug.

“I’m really not in trouble?” Harry asked again.

“You are not, but I would like your mother to be part of our talk if that is all right.” Severus asked.

Harry gave a small nod. Severus would have preferred a verbal response, but at least it was not another shrug.

“Good, and let us collect your sister and we can get to the bottom of this.” Severus said standing, his knee popping.  

Harry walked with his father, the man’s large hand reassuring weight on the shoulder. The pair stopped in the nursery long enough to collect the still groggy Iris.

“Hi sweetie,” Lily greeted Harry as the pair came back into the living room. “I wondered where you disappeared to.”

Harry took his customary seat on the sofa. He did not say anything, just watched the practiced baby exchange between his parents.

“Harry, can you tell us what was going on before you ended up on the roof of the canteen?” Severus asked, throwing the towel over his shoulder to burp the baby.

Harry did shrug this time.

“Words Harry,” Severus scolded.

“I was running,” Harry replied.

Severus nodded as he placed the freshly changed Dahlia in the playpen.

“Why were you running?” Lily asked more gently.

“Because,” Harry said lamely.

“Is a conjunction,” Severus scolded. “Were you running as part of the game?”

Harry shook his head.

“Were you running to have a run?” Severus asked.

Another shake of Harry’s head. The boy mumbled something neither of his parents could make out.

“Can you repeat that sweetie?” Lily asked.

“Daddy said to run if somebody was chasing me.” Harry said just the tiniest bit louder, but enough for his parents to hear.

“Who was chasing you?” Lily asked.

Severus was not surprised by by the boy’s explanation. However, that did not mean he was happy to hear his suspicions confirmed.

“Todd,” Harry grumbled.

“Why was Todd chasing you?” Severus asked.

Harry shrugged.

“Harry,” Severus warned.

“I don’t know!” Harry yelled.

Both girls let out cries at Harry’s outburst.

“It’s okay,” Severus soothed Iris, freshly delivered to him. “That was uncalled for, Harry.”

Harry frowned. Severus would like an apology, but knew he was unlikely to receive it.

“Has this Todd boy come at you like this before?” Lily asked.

Harry nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell us about this?” His mother asked.

Yet another shrug.

“Did you tell a teacher?” Lily asked.

Harry shook his head.

“Why not? We can’t fix things if we don’t know what’s wrong.” Lily said.

“Or if  something is wrong to begin with,” Severus added, placing Iris down with her sister.

“What were you going to do?” Harry demanded.

“Mr. Potter, you will remember who is the parent and who is the child.” Severus corrected. “If we knew something was the matter we could have addressed it. You need not suffer at the hands of the bully because you are too proud to ask for help.”

“Sev,” Lily muttered softly.

Severus looked to his wife. She wasn’t sure who Severus talking about in the last little rant.

“My apologies, but the point still stands. We cannot help if we do not know what is bothering you.” Severus said with a sigh.

Harry gave his father a puzzled look.

“What has this Todd boy done? Is he the only one bothering you?” Severus asked more calmly.

“He is mean. He calls me names and stuff.” said Harry.

Severus nodded. He knew there was more to it. He had gone through something similar enough to know how difficult it was to admit even that.

“What are you going to do?” Harry asked.

“We’re going to have a word with your teacher and perhaps the headmistress.” Severus told him. “They are also going to work on your controlling your magic. It would not do for you to accidentally hex a Muggle, even in defense. I have no desire to have to explain the situation to the Ministry.”

“The Ministry, Sev?” Lily questioned.

“Perhaps,” Severus confirmed.

“Don’t you think you’re being a little overdramatic?” Lily asked.

Severus shook his head. “Not if the case is severe enough.”

“Sev,” Lily asked.

She jerked her head in Harry’s direction. He was clearly terrified.

“Dammit,” Severus sighed. Severus scooped up Harry into his lap. “Harry, you’ll be fine. We will work on controlling your magic. Now, I don’t feel much like cooking to dinner tonight. I believe the same is true for your mother. What do you want to eat?”

“Chips,” Harry said instantly.

Severus shook he said. “Why do we even bother to ask? Go get your shoes.” Severus placed Harry back on his feet.

Harry ran off down the hall.

“We need to be careful here, Sev. You can’t make him feel embarrassed or ashamed of his magic.” Lily warned.

“I know,” Severus agreed. “My mother had to do the same with me when I was his age.”

“Okay,” Lily agreed.

The family had a more enjoyable evening as they went out. Harry spent much of the meal making faces at his sisters, entertaining them and his parents. After coming home Severus and Lily put down the babies, they returned to watch a film. The evening ended with Severus carrying his son up to bed after he fell asleep midway through the movie.

Over the next several weeks Severus spent at least an hour a day working with Harry to focus his magic. It was something Lily had been able to do naturally. Harry made a great deal of progress. Meanwhile, both parents went to talk to Harry’s teacher and headmistress. Sadly, they were far less supportive and Severus and Lily would have liked.

Harry did well controlling his magic until almost Christmas. That was until Todd and his little friends cornered Harry after class. Severus pushed past the group of boys in the yard; Harry was sobbing. One boy, Severus assumed to be Todd was sitting on the ground, his hands covering his nose, or at least trying to. The boy’s nose was swelling at a frightening rate. The other boys watched in terror.

“Stand back,” Severus ordered.

The boy stepped back. Severus pulled Todd’s hands away from his face and quickly ended the hex. He then modified the memory of all three boys. Lastly, picked Harry up Apparating them home.

“Shush…” Severus soothed. “You’re all right.”

“What’s the matter?” Lily requested joining them in the living room.

“Harry had a bit of an incident at school. I ended the hex and modified the boys’ memories.” Severus explained.

“Severus!” Lily scolded.

“Not now,” he hissed. “Harry,” Severus whispered into his son’s ear.

Harry’s small frame continued to rock with sobs.

“Hush, hush now,” Severus urged his son. “Calm down, Harry. Everything is all right. Hush now.”

Harry shook his head into his father’s chest. “You going to give me to the d’mentors?” Harry sobbed.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Severus dismissed.

“Hexed Todd,” Harry mumbled.

“Now Harry, you won’t be given to the dementors.” Severus reassured. “You are not in trouble.”

Just then the fireplace flared to life. Sirius Black stepped into the room.

“Bloody hell Snape! What on earth were you thinking!” Sirius barked.

Harry turned wide, scared eyes to his Godfather.

Severus set Harry down. “Lily can you take Harry for a bit of a lie down?”

Lily nodded escorting Harry out of the room.

“Could you not have waited to spare my son that Black?!” Severus snapped.

“You hexed Muggles, Snape!  Muggle kids!” Sirius replied.

“No, I ended Harry’s hex on the boy. I modified the memory of all three, nothing more.” Severus said handing over his wand.

Sirius cast several diagnostic spells on the wand. Everything backed up Severus’ recounting of events. Sirius handed Severus his wand back, before throwing himself into Severus’ chair and sitting on the cat.  Sirius shot back up as Chaucer jumped out of the seat clearly upset.  Sirius sat back down in the now vacant chair.

“Why didn’t you wait for Ministry officials to clear the scene?” Sirius asked.

“My son had just been attacked. I didn’t want to keep him waiting there. Any Ministry lackey would have done exactly what I did.” Severus explained sitting with much more grace.

“Except they would have been approved do it and have a clean record. You should be glad I intercepted Adams. He would find a reason to send you to the dementors. He hasn’t forgiven you for marrying Lily.” Sirius explained.

“Indeed.” Severus said happily. “What happens now?”

Sirius way to stand, “Nothing. I’ll write up a report saying what happened and that will be that.”

“Sev,” Lily called. “Can you ask Sirius to come up here? Harry wants me to make sure you don’t get in trouble because of him.”

Severus turned to his visitor, “See what he did?”

“Hey, you’re the one who turned your wand on kids.” Sirius said as they walked upstairs.

“Just convince Harry need not fear the loss of another father please.” Severus snapped back.

It took some doing, but finally Harry calmed down. The adults finally got the whole story of what happened. Severus and Sirius made sure that when Harry returned to school in January, he knew how handle himself in a Muggle fight so at least then he could fight without having a parent to cleaning up his accidental magic.  
The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Thanks to my beta, Pan.

When I wrote this chapter, I didn't know this existed,


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717