What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159977 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 28 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Another addition to the Snape-Potter family.

Harry wiped aside a tear as Severus took a break in his tale.

“I miss her,” Harry muttered.

“I do as well.”  Severus agreed, his voice tighter than usual.  “When I agreed to take her for your mother... I didn’t expect to form any sort of connection.  I figured the beast would live in my house and we occasionally share the same space.  I didn’t think I would ever go out looking for her.  Nor did I expect to miss tripping over her, or the way she would attack my toes at night.  Chaucer was a good cat.”

“Yeah,” Harry agreed once more.  

“Now, Harry,” Severus said clearing his throat of any remaining strain, “We have more to discuss.”

“Like what?” Harry asked.

“Your brother,” Severus put forth.  

“What about Jules?” Harry asked.

“We have not mentioned him until now.”  

“Oh yeah,” Harry agreed.

“Our lives settled into a normal rhythm with you attending school. Lupin was there many days helping with Dahlia and Iris. That was especially true their first year,” Severus explained.

“Okay,” agreed Harry.

“Now, as I was saying we had settled into a new routine with things. All of you children were thriving. When your sisters were almost a year old your mother expressed a desire to have another child,” Severus told Harry.

“You didn’t?” Harry asked.

Severus shook his head, “I would not go so far as to say I was opposed to the idea. I was content with the family we had. Your mother and I agreed that it would happen if it was meant to happen, if not we would love you three all the more.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

“Time for bed, Harry.” Severus declared.

“I’m not sleepy,” Harry pouted.

“Still time for bed. Think of it this way,” Severus advised. “The sooner you go to bed, the earlier to rise and open the rest of your presents.”

“No, I can’t,” pouted Harry. “All I get to open is my silly stocking. I have to take my real presents in turns now.”

“And if you keep up this attitude, there may not even be your stocking.” Severus warned.

“Fine,” Harry grumbled.

“Night sweetie,” Lily said placing a few more gifts under the tree.

It had become a tradition to not place gifts under the tree until Christmas Eve. Even then, there was only a fraction of what were opened the following morning. This was not done because of the children believing in Father Christmas, but as a deterrent from Harry, Sirius, or even Remus trying to determine what they were going to receive.

Harry crossed the room to give his mother a kiss good night.

“Night Mum,” Harry said. “Night Dad,” Harry said giving Severus a hug.

“Good night Harry,” Severus said returning the boy’s embrace. “I will be up momentarily to check on you.”

“Okay,” conceded Harry.

Harry dashed up the stairs, his mother’s order not to run fell on deaf ears and pounding feet.

“Let’s hurry up and get this done,” Lily urged.

Severus gave his wife a curious look. “Do you wish to turn in early?”

Lily gave him a coy smile, “Not exactly.”

Severus caught her meaning quite easily. The presents were in place in a few moments. Harry was tucked in, all necessary tasks taking care of. The girls were checked on and monitors set just in case.

“Make sure you lock the door,” Lily said as they entered the master suite. “We don’t want Harry or the girls catching us off guard in the morning.”

“Indeed,” Severus agreed dutifully clicking the lock behind him.

That was a very good Christmas Eve, for sure.

The Christmas holiday went by quickly before both Severus and Harry returned to school. They celebrated Severus’ birthday with the traditional biscuits and a family outing to London. The kids were dropped off with Sirius and Remus for the evening’s other events so that the adults could have a nice dinner and an evening to themselves.

Severus was rather looking forward to Lily’s birthday. As had become their custom Lily had planned his birthday celebration. He was supposed to plan Lily’s, but only two days before the the day, she asked if he would hold off.

She had claimed to not be feeling very well and she didn’t want to overtax herself. Soon Severus would be back at school and could not be the constant backup she would need if she did get sick. Severus had agreed, somewhat sadly, but he could see her point. Severus wondered if they would end up doing anything for Lily’s birthday.

Once she was feeling a little bit better,  Lily agreed they could go out to dinner. Severus had to take what he could get. The kids were once again deposited with their godparents.

Severus returned from dropping their children off expecting Lily to be ready to go.

“Lily,” Severus called up the stairs.

“Sorry,” she said putting one last pin in her hair.

“Were running late,” Severus remarked.

“I know. I know. I seem to be doing that a lot lately,” commented Lily. She slipped on her shoes quickly. “Let’s go,” she said.

Severus thought the comment was a bit strange, but didn’t say anything.

They want to dinner at one of the first places they ate at when dating. Severus wanted to order a bottle of wine, but Lily said she didn’t want any. They talked about all manner of things. Severus noticed something odd about Lily’s speech.  ‘Late’ kept popping up in the conversation, even when he wouldn’t have to be expected it.

Finally, as they shared a piece of cake Severus asked. “Lily, is there something you would like to tell me?”

Lily twirled her fork uneasily. “Why do you ask?”

“You keep saying the word ‘late’.” Severus replied.

“Have I?” she asked legitimately surprised.

“You have.” Severus confirmed.

“Huh, didn’t realize I was.” Lily said.

“Lily,” Severus pleaded.

“I guess it’s been on my mind a little.” Lily said twirling the fork again.

“Late for what?” Severus asked.

“I’m late.” Lily stressed the second word heavily.

It took a moment for the words to register with him. “Are you? How long?”

“About a week,” Lily said.

Severus broke into a wide grin. “It seems you are to be getting your wish.”

Lily nodded. “Maybe, I need to see a Healer to confirm it.”

The rest of the evening they spent talking about the possibilities of a new baby. It was confirmed the following Monday.

Black and Remus found out, but only after Minerva and Dumbledore. Given the baby’s due date it was likely Severus would miss at least some part early in the term. Like when Lily was expecting Dahlia and Iris, they held off telling the children until Lily was showing. At least that was the plan.

One night Severus was checking on Harry before bed.

“Dad?” Harry asked.

“Yes Harry?” Severus replied sitting on the edge of the boy’s bed. There was an uneasy note in Harry’s voice Severus didn’t like.

“Can I ask you a question?” Harry asked.

“Go on Harry,” Severus encouraged.

“Is Mum going to have another baby?” Harry asked.

Severus was surprised by that. “Why do you ask?”

Harry shrugged, although the gesture was lost in the dark. “It’s just Mum has been reading the same books a lot. The ones she read when she was going to have Dee and Iris.”

Severus smiled. “A wonderful observation Mr. Potter. We might make a Slytherin of you yet.”

“Daaaad,”Harry whined as he always did when Severus said the boy would be in any House but Gryffindor.

“Harry,” Severus returned in the same tone.

“Is she?” Harry demanded.

“She is,” Severus confirmed. “We were waiting awhile to tell your sisters. They won’t really believe or understand at this point.”

“Okay. When are you going to tell them?” Asked Harry.

“We will let you know when we decide. Now go to sleep, Harry.” Severus said pulling the covers up a little higher.

At the door Severus stopped. “Harry, could you keep this between us. Your mother wanted us to tell you together.”

“You didn’t tell me,” Harry replied cheekily.

Harry managed to keep his word for about four days. Severus was forced to defend himself from Lily’s temper explaining he had not told Harry out right, simply confirmed to the boy suspicions. Though Lily didn’t seem to see the difference and thus Severus spent the next several nights sleeping on a transfigured sofa.

They told the girls near the end of March. Dahlia had been very curious, asking all sorts of questions. Iris had wanted to show off how she could jump on the sofa.

It was another display of just how different the girls were. Dahlia was very patient and inquisitive. She loved to spend time with Severus in the lab, or helping Lily in the kitchen.  Iris was much more physical. She had no patience for potions and avoided the kitchen except when getting something specific.

Severus would not be surprised if Dahlia was sorted into Ravenclaw or maybe even Slytherin. Iris he was certain would be a Hufflepuff. Her sweet easy-going nature was one factor, so too was her stubbornness. When the girl set her mind to something rarely did she give up.

The reconciliation between Petunia and Lily meant that Severus had to see his sister-in-law a staggering three times in as many months. It seemed Petunia was insisting on making up for lost time and their mother’s absence.

Severus did his best to make sure the children felt included. With all the attention Petunia was giving to Lily and the baby, he could understand why they would feel put out.

Severus and Harry were kicked out of the house completely without ceremony the day of the baby shower. The girls were allowed to stay because they were girls.

“That’s stupid,” Harry complained as Severus walked him to the car.

“I would tend to agree. However, if it’s anything like the last one, you’ll be glad to miss it.” Severus said climbing in.

“They have cake,” Harry whined, climbing in next to his dad.

“I’m sure there will be cake left. If not, he can remedy that with a trip to the bakery.” Severus reassured.

“Okay,”pouted Harry.

“What would you like to do today?” Severus asked.

Harry gave an indifferent shrug Severus steered the car towards the center of the village. They settled for going to the cinema.  After the film they walked down the street to Harry’s favorite fish and chip shop.

“Harry, when the new baby comes your job as big brother is going to be even more important.” Severus said over lunch.

Harry pictures. “How come?”

“You are older now and your sisters have never been through this before. I’ll be looking to you to set an example and show them what to do, what’s going on etc.” explained Severus.

“Oh,” mumbled Harry.

“Harry, you should know how good a job you do with your sisters.” Severus continued.

“Thanks Dad,” Harry said a bit less forlorn.

“Harry, is there something else bothering you?” Severus asked.

Harry shook his head, then shrugged. “No… Yes… I don’t know.”

Severus waited patiently for Harry to try and figure out how to express what he was feeling. “Harry?” Severus prompted.

“If  the baby is a boy, are you going to love him more?” Harry asked.

Severus was dumbfounded. “Where is this coming from?”

Harry gave another shrug.

“Words Harry,” Severus chided. “Why would you think I would love your baby brother, if it is a brother, more than you? Do you think I love your sisters more?”

Harry shook his head.

“Then why would I love your brother more than you?” Severus asked.

“’ Cause he’ll have your name.” Harry said.

“My name? Your sisters are Snape as well…” Severus began.

“But, boys keep their names. Uncle Vernon said all men want a son so their names keep going.” Harry protested.

Severus could hit someone. Damn Vernon for putting such an idiotic notion in Harry’s head. Severus took a deep breath through his nose. Harry had tensed slightly at Severus’ response. It broke Severus’ heart to see that. But that was nothing to the pain the necessity this conversation was causing him.

“Harry,” Severus said very slowly. “I want you to know I love you just as much as any of your siblings, no matter their sex. Your Uncle Vernon is an idiot. He believes in many stupid and old-fashioned notions. I have no such connection to those sorts of traditions.”

“What about being able to pass on your name?” Harry asked.

“It means very little to me,” Severus said dead serious.

“Really?” Harry asked.

“Truly,” confirmed Severus. “My father was not a very nice, or good man. The fact my surname Snape has actually caused me trouble more than once. When I was younger I used my mother’s original name instead of Snape.”

“Why?” Harry asked.

Severus took a deep breath and explained, “My mother came from a wealthy and important family. They disowned her when she married my father. I did not know my mother’s family, but I thought they had to be better than the one I was coming from.”

“Oh,” Harry said very sadly.

“Indeed,” agreed Severus.

“So you really don’t mind my name being Potter?” Harry asked.

“No, nor should you. James did a very brave and loving thing for you and your mother. It is your duty to carry on and make his name proud.” Severus explained.

“What you just said you don’t care about the name stuff,” protested Harry.

Severus sighed. “I don’t. That is true. My name means very little. That is true. The Potter name is not seen the same way. That name has a very long and proud history in the wizarding world. People expect certain things of you for it. Even if that was not the case, you owe it to James to live a long, respected life. One that honors his sacrifice. Do you understand me now?”

“Maybe,” Harry responded.

“It will make more sense as you get older,” reassured Severus.

“Okay,” Harry uncertainly agreed.

They went back to their lunches, eating in silence. Moments passed, both lost in thought.

“Dad,” Harry asked breaking the silence.

“What is it Harry?” Severus asked.

“Do I make you proud?” Asked Harry nervously.

“More than you can ever imagine.” Severus told him.

Harry gave him a winning grin in return.

Soon the start of term was upon them. Severus was forced to spend more time than he would have liked away from home. A substitute was brought on for the first month after the baby arrived. It was the Potions Master that had taught when Lily and Severus were at school, Horace Slughorn.

Severus went over the changes he made to the curriculum and stricter safety procedures. The man would also be acting Head of House. Slughorn was surprised and delighted to find out about Severus and Lily’s marriage. Severus reminded himself never to let the man around Harry. He wanted no such obsequious, power-hungry hangers-on around his son.

Lily and Severus agreed on Julian as a first name for the boy. Rose for girl. Noel for a middle name with the sex appropriate spelling for the middle. Julian was for an uncle of Lily’s who had died during World War II. Noel was Harry’s inadvertent suggestion after he wanted to know when the baby started to grow.

The plan was for the children to spend the day of the birth over with the Weasleys. Lily had pointed out that they had plenty of experience with children in different age groups. It would also give Harry, Dahlia and Iris many more distractions than just being with Remus or Sirius.

The day the baby chose to make its appearance was an interesting one. Lily went into labor late on the night of August 31. Severus had Floo-ed the Weasleys to make sure that they still wished to proceed with the plan. He was sure Remus or Black would still look after the children. Molly had ignored his concerns and Severus had brought them over.

Julian Noel Snape was born at 11:05, September 1, 1988. He had no hair so there was no way to know which side that took after. He had inherited Lily’s button nose, Severus was thankful to see.

Severus announced the good news that evening in the Great Hall. There was a raucous cheer, especially from the older students. Though that may have been from the fact it was announced at the same time Severus would not be back until October.

Lily handed her husband the baby to burped and changed. Severus stared into the boy’s dark green eyes. Both the girls  had been born with blue eyes. Dahlia’s had gone to hazel, where almost inexplicably, Iris’ was blue still. Lily had to remind Severus that his own father’s eyes were blue, as were Lily’s mother’s.

“You want to be careful changing his nappy,” Lily warned  Severus as he lay the baby down to change him.

“Lily, I’ve changed more nappies than I can count with our girls. I am sure I can handle one little boy.” Severus said moving away the bottom of the sleeper.

“Just have a nappy right there,” Lily advised.

“I’ll be fine,” Severus grumbled.

“Have it your way,” Lily said.

As she anticipated, Julian let go his stream of urine heading Severus square in the face.

“He peed on me. He peed in my face,” Severus exclaimed.

“And it’s on film,” Sirius laughed leading the kids into the room.

Severus shot the Auror a death glare.  Severus took his time introducing each of the children to their younger brother. Harry was already taking his duty very seriously.

The family settled into a routine that was relatively comfortable. It was much harder for the girls when Severus returned to work. They no longer had both their parents all the time. Remus stepped up this time with them, which helped a great deal.

The End.
End Notes:
As always I hope you enjoyed the most recent chapter. I have to thank my beta, Pan of course.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717