What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 160002 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 6 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Severus' birthday...

“As you well know your mother and I’s birthdays are just after New Year’s.  Your grandparents always made sure Lily had a decent amount of presents.  They didn’t think it fair that Petunia was expected to get more gifts simply because her birthday happened to be in the summer.  When Lily and I became friends your mother’s family simply started including me in the celebrations.  It was something I never had growing up in my home.”  Severus said sadly.  

“As I mentioned before, your Grandmother Evans continued to send me biscuits every year for my birthday, even after our falling out.  When your grandparents passed I never expected to get those biscuits again.  Your mother negated that assumption when she sent me the tin as a thank you.  Still, knowing Lily could make them, I didn’t think I could get any for my birthday.  No, I thought it would be rather like most birthdays, just another day on the calendar.”

Harry was confused.  “But we always do stuff for your birthday,” the boy protested.

“Now we do,” Severus corrected.  “When I was young my family did not have the money to do anything special for me.  When I got older, I had few friends, no true friends, it could be argued.  So I had no one to celebrate with.  That birthday, my 22nd, was the year where all that changed and it was all thanks to your mother.  It started at breakfast…”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

The owls streamed into the open windows of the Great Hall as they did every morning.  Although, there were far fewer than normal, as most of the students were still at home for the Christmas holidays.  Still, the dreary grey of the enchanted ceiling was broken up momentarily in a sea of multicolored feathers.  Birds swooped down to deliver packages to their rightful owners.  Some of them stayed long enough to get a bit of bacon or some other treat.  A few of the older students paid owls for delivering the morning papers.  The staff too were awash in post.  

As was typical the Headmaster had half a dozen birds drop in on him before he could finish his porridge.  In a sight that was becoming far less of a spectacle, Severus too had post.  A familiar barn owl landed in front of Severus.  Severus carried out his normal detection spells.  It would not do to become too comfortable.  He trusted Lily more than anyone on Earth, including, Dumbledore.  However, there was no way of knowing if the bird was intercepted.  It was much better to play it safe.  Severus knew there were members of his previous following that would relish seeing his undoing.

Detecting nothing harmful, Severus untied the box from the bird’s outstretched leg.  He offered it a bit of bacon, but the bird fluttered its wings and took off.

“Are you not going to open your post, Severus?” Minerva asked looking up from her breakfast.

“Not now,” Severus replied curtly.  What was it with that woman and his incessant need to investigate his life happenings?

“You normally are most eager to hear from Mrs. Potter.  I hope you two have not had another row,” Minerva needled.  

Severus knew the witch wanted details.  He weighed his next words carefully.  If he refused to tell her anything, she would continue to bother him. If he told her too much she was likely to make an undesired fuss.  “Lily and I are fine.  The parcel likely contains some variety of birthday present.  Now will you please leave me be?”  Severus asked.

Minerva was surprised.  Normally the staff made some note of the birthdays, or anniversaries of its members.  She had heard nothing about the young man’s birthday approaching.  She needed to talk to Professor Sprout, as the Head of Hufflepuff traditionally took responsibility for such celebrations.  

“Why did you not mention it,” Minerva asked curiously.

“What was I supposed to do?  Come into the hall singing “Happy Birthday” to myself?”  Severus requested icily.

Minerva did not respond.

“To answer your question, I did not mention it because I did not think it important.  It is another day in the year, no different than any other.  I will not force people to care out of social graces or simply out of guilt.  Lily’s gift is out of genuine care.  It matters not what it is.  To have the staff make a fuss about my birthday when most think of me nothing more than a little boy, it cheapens those who truly care.”  Severus explained.  Without another word he swiftly left the hall, box tucked safely under one arm.

“My, Severus is set in his ways,” Minerva commented to Dumbledore.

“He is,” Dumbledore agreed.  “Professor Sprout told me he specifically asked for her not to mention it to the staff.”

“Does he really believe we think so little of him?”  Minerva asked looking at the now vacant seat.

“It was only five short years ago he was our student.  It is hard not to remember him as such.”  Professor Flitwick commented.  “Perhaps this is a time to show Severus that we see him as more than a boy desperately trying to make an impact.  He has come a long way since his Sorting.  Even over this term he has grown.”

“How do you suggest we do that Filius?” Minerva asked.

“I don’t know.  Mrs. Potter will probably have an idea however.” The tiny wizard offered.

“I don’t have plans this morning.  I will contact Mrs. Potter.  Hopefully she will have some sort of suggestion.”  Minerva told her colleagues.

Upon reaching his quarters Severus was excited to see his traditional biscuits.  He quickly counted them.  23, one for each year of his life and one more for luck.  Violet had always just put an even 20 in the tin.  Severus smiled slightly.  He liked Lily’s spin on the biscuits slightly better, and not simply because it gave him three extra cookies.  No, he loved the fact Lily was doing her best to help him maintain traditions, but making it her own.

Severus took out two of the freshly made treats.  He placed them on a plate left out from his tea last night.  The house elves would not be in to clean his rooms until the afternoon, as Severus stayed up quite late.  He crossed to the fireplace ordering a pot of hot coffee.  When the coffee arrived Severus settled back to enjoy his treat.  He would allow himself this small pleasure.  

The only thing comparable, or making the day tolerable really, was the fact the students were not yet back for the start of term.  Severus did not think he could stand having to teach the legion of dunderheads on the one day that was supposed to be for him.

Severus sipped his coffee thoughtfully.  He could not explain why he was being so maudlin about this birthday.  Most of his life, the day went by completely unremarked.  The Evans would sometimes give him some sort of small gift in addition to the tin of biscuits, but not always.  He took those as a sign they really did care for him.  

While Severus was at school none of his dorm-mates went out of their way to celebrate Severus’ birthday.  It was not that they did not celebrate birthdays, just not ones of poor, half-blood/blood-traitors.  When he became a Death Eater, those boys who used to ignore him were forced to recognize him and dates such as Severus’ birthday.  It was at this time Severus developed his distaste for forced social courtesy, he realized.  He was happier to have the recognition by those who truly cared than the scores of hollow birthday wishes of strangers and acquaintances.

Severus sat quietly sipping his coffee and munching his biscuits for almost an hour.  He decided he would take this day for himself.  He would not do any marking.  He was not going to work on lesson plans, or potions for the Hospital Wing.  He would sit back and do only what he wished to do this day.

What did he really wish to do?  What had he done in the past to celebrate his birthday?  His mind cast back to his 12th birthday, or rather his and Lily’s shared celebration.  At Lily’s insistence they had their party at the local ice rink.  Lily liked to pretend that she would win Great Britain a gold medal for figure skating.  Severus had never been skating before, but agreed with whatever Lily wanted.  Lily had also promised he would get to see Petunia fall on her face at least once.

Lily took to the ice before Severus even had a chance to pay for his skates.  She was doing jumps and turns.  Severus was certain he had never seen anything more beautiful. He heard Petunia muttered something about being a showoff and Lily wasn’t even that good.  Severus watched a moment later as another girl did a very impressive spin in the air.  He was sure it was more complicated than what Lily was doing, but he did not care.  His eyes were only for Lily.

Severus balanced precariously on the thin blades of metal.  It was difficult to stand on them one the flat dry surface, he couldn’t imagine this being any easier on ice.  He sealed himself and took his first step out and almost fell flat on his bottom, only an arm over the door saved him. He didn’t need to hear it to know Petunia was laughing at him.  Severus straightened back up.  He carefully pushed one foot back and slide forward.  He repeated the process with the opposite.  Severus managed not to fall down once, a feat Petunia could not say she shared.  Mr. Evans would later compliment Severus on his ability as a first time skater.

Thinking back on that pleasant afternoon in the Evans company and the hot cocoa after Severus knew what he wished to do for his day.

“Lily,” Severus called from his place in her hearth.

“Sev,” Lily greeted Harry tagging along behind her.  “Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you,” Severus said almost warmly.  “I was wondering if you… and Harry had any plans for the day?”

“No,” Lily said curiously.  “Is there something the birthday boy wanted to do?”

“I am not a boy,” Severus complained.

“Fine,” Lily conceded.  “What did you want to do, Sev?”

“Do you remember our 12th birthday party?” Severus asked.

Lily cocked her head to the side.  “12th birthday….Didn’t we go ice skating?”

“Indeed,” Severus confirmed.  “I was hoping you would join me.”

“Sev, Harry’s too young to skate.” Lily protested.

“Then bring the w-Lupin.” Severus protested.

“It’s the full moon tonight,” Lily told him.

Severus frowned.  “Is there no one you can leave him with?”  He hadn’t expected this problem.  

Lily pushed a lock of red hair behind her ear, “Let me call you back.  I might be able to get one of the Muggle teens next door to help.”

Severus waited almost 15 minutes before Lily called him back.  She had in fact gotten a local teen, the younger sister of a girl Lily went to primary school with, it turned out, to look after Harry for the afternoon.  Severus Floo-ed directly to Lily’s house.  She agreed to drive them to the rink.

“You can drive?” Severus asked stunned.

“Yeah,” Lily confirmed.  “Dad taught me summer before seventh year.  He knew I could Apparate and fly, but thought I should know if there was ever a reason I had to go Muggle.  Honestly, I think sometimes James and I would have done better that way than hiding in Godric’s Hollow.  Then again, James couldn’t boil water without used his wand.”

“It’s a skill I sadly lack.  My mother never saw the purpose of learning.  Tobias….was Tobias.” Severus said softly.

“I could teach you,” Lily offered excitedly.

“Really,” Severus said uncertain.

“Oh yeah,” Lily said.

“I shall think about it,” Severus promised.

The pair drove about 15 minutes to reach the rink.  The building was packed with teens home for the winter holidays.  The pair made their way through the queues and finally onto the ice.  They spent the better part of the next few hours skating around in circles and chatting most often about birthdays past.

At 4:30 Lily told Severus she needed to head back home.  The sitter could only stay until 5, but if it was alright, she and Harry would come and see him at the school that evening. Severus was a bit disappointed, but agreed to for her to visit.

Severus entered the Great Hall in a much better mood than he left it that morning.  Hopefully his coworkers had listened and had not spent the day concocting a way to recognize Severus’ birthday.  He did not want his good mood spoiled by false platitudes.

Dinner was a surprisingly quiet affair at the staff table.  The only words spoken to Severus were to ask him to pass the gravy.  It was almost odd the pleasure Severus took from it.  He retreated to his quarters for the evening just before seven.

Lily and Harry arrived on the dot at seven.  Severus had ordered a tea service for the occasion.  Harry went straight for the plate of biscuits, but was quickly deflected by Lily’s practiced hand.  She gave the boy one before placing a Hover Charm on the plate to keep it out of Harry’s reach.  The two adult had been talking for about thirty minutes before the Floo flared to life.

“Good evening Severus,” Dumbledore greeted affectionately.

“Headmaster,” Severus returned rather more coolly.  “What may I do for you?”

“Not a thing my boy,” Dumbledore said cheerily.  “I wished to inform you, you have been chosen to be the new –”

“I don’t want it,” Severus interrupted, cutting the old man off.

“Severus,” Dumbledore and Lily said together.

“I do not want another position of responsibility.  Potions Master was more than enough.  Besides it is clear to me this was my fellow professors’ idea of a birthday present.  I am satisfied where I am.  Now excuse me.”  Severus said terminating the Headmaster’s connection.

Over the next several days Severus’ colleagues presented him with a variety of books, potions ingredients, and small tokens.  He grudgingly accepted them.  He was rather pleased with the box of Honeyduke’s Chocolates, but this was not the gift that meant the most to him.  That was a project that involved almost every teacher in the school.

Severus later learned the project idea and execution were planned by Professor Flitwick.  The tiny professor had gotten all of the teachers who had once taught Severus and were now teaching beside him to provide a list of words to describe Severus as a student (non-classroom attitude/performance) and now.  The two sets of words were displayed side-by-side.  Severus was taken aback by what his fellow professors thought of him both now and in the past.

It showed him, in a physical way, that he was more than just the “lost boy from the play park” as Lily would say.  Severus stuck it above his desk in his private office.  Although Severus would never admit it, those cards meant a great deal to him.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed what has been affectionately described by my beta as "cookie porn".

I promise there will be more Harry-Sev interaction. Give it time, Sev doesn't know how to deal with babies.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717