What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159988 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 7 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Lily's birthday...

Severus sat back in his chair. “The next week was rather busy for me.  Not only was I having to avoid the constant stream of colleagues trying to make up their oversight of my birthday, my students seemed more than ever to have it their goal to make my life miserable.  I had two explosions, one cauldron melt, and four students maimed in that week. To this day I still have no idea how the second explosion occurred.  With all of this, I had more than my typical load of detentions to oversee and parents to contact.  It was good I had something to look forward to at the start and end of each day.  I might have been tempted to do much more than take points if I were in a worse mood.”

“It was not only looking forward to your mother’s biscuits, but to her letters too.  That week, I had at least one letter a day from your mother.  Like Christmas, this was another major day James would miss for the first time.  Lily had no desire to repeat the overwhelming stream of well-wishers.  Instead she sent invitations to a select group of people to join her at a local restaurant for dinner.  To those she expected to make an appearance (based on what happened at Christmas) who were not invited to dinner were sent clearly worded messages.  They were told Lily greatly appreciated their concern, but she would be spending the day with friends and family.  If so desired, they could check on her in a few days’ time.” Severus told Harry.

“As you probably guesses, I was one of the few to actually receive an invitation.  As were Black, Lupin, Professors Flitwick and McGonagall.  Your aunt and uncle were invited as well, though, they did not attend.”  Severus added quickly.  “That was probably for the best.  There was also a few friends of Lily’s from primary school who still lived in the area.  Your mother was doing her best to rebuild her life, reconnecting with old friends helped.”

“The dinner was at the Chinese restaurant in the village.  I don’t know why your mother chose that place in particular.  I never ate there before, but then again, the only time I ate out was when the Evans took me with them, or very occasional fish and chips with my mother.”  Severus explained.

“I am told the group met outside the restaurant.  However, I was running late.  It was strange to see people who had once been my professors, in Muggle attire.  It would have been stranger to see them bearing overly large packages.  Normally they would have shrunk their gifts until it was time to open them.”  Severus paused.  “I was the only one who did not come with such a package.”

“How come Dad?  You always get something for Mum’s birthday.”  Harry asked.

“Indeed, but if you will notice, they are small.  It was a…tradition we established very early in our friendship.  I didn’t have much pocket money as a child and our birthdays so close to Christmas I had even less funds for a gift.  I am getting ahead of myself….” Severus stopped himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus pulled open the glass door to a dark looking restaurant.  He wondered whatever possessed Lily to choose such a forlorn little place for a celebration.  

“I help you, sir?”  A friendly waitress asked him.

“Yes, I’m here for the Ev-the Potter party,” Severus said shifting the small box from one hand to the other.

“Follow me,” the waitress ordered.

Severus followed her to the back where a long table was arranged, a dozen or so people sat around it.  A small table off to the left held a collection of wrapped boxes.  Severus looked down at his own small box.  Perhaps he should have done something a bit grander.  It was too late now.

Lily sat at the middle of the table, flanked by McGonagall and a Muggle Severus could not recall the name of.  Across from her were Black and Lupin.  Severus headed for the only open seat at the far end of the table on the same side as Lily.  Both the person next to him and across were Muggles.

“Who are you?” The blonde sitting across from Severus demanded.

“Severus Snape,” Severus returned mildly.  He didn’t know this woman, but he already didn’t like her much.  “And you are?”

“I’m Barbra Jones and this is Sandra.” The blonde said gesturing to the dark haired woman on his right.

Severus had vague memories of these women’s names.  “You were friends with Petunia,” Severus asked in need of confirmation.

“That’s right,” Barbara said.  “You’re that no good Snape boy who latched on to Lily.  Tuney told us you brainwashed her.  Somehow you managed to push yourself into that fancy public school Lily went off to.  You must have been a right charity case.  Your dad couldn’t even hold down a job at the mill.”

Severus took a sharp breath.  He hadn’t been expecting to be attacked.  He was simply here to help a friend celebrate their birthday.  Now this woman was assaulting him with his past he so dearly wished to forget.

“You must…” Barbara began.

Severus pushed away from the table quickly.  He would not stand this kind of treatment.  Even the Marauders had been less hostile towards him and they had spent almost every day at Hogwarts making his life a living hell.  How dare this woman!  He could not hex her, no matter how much his heart desired.  He would have to leave.

Lily watched as Severus stiffened and left the table.

“Sev,” Lily called out following after him.  “What’s wrong?”  She asked finally catching him outside the restaurant.

“Nothing,” Severus bit out.

“Nothing?  You left the table.  You didn’t even say ‘Happy Birthday’ to me.  There’s something wrong.  Remember, I know you Severus Snape.” Lily protested.

Severus sighed.  There was very little he seemed to get past Lily, that was true.  His shoulders slumped forward.  “That Jones woman….She mentioned Tobias…and how I must have been a scholarship student to Hogwarts, given my upbringing.”

Lily frowned.  She knew how sensitive Severus was about how life was at Spinner’s End.  He told her everything, but he never wanted it used against him.  That was one of the reasons their fight after the Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. hurt so much.

“Come back in,” pleaded Lily.

“No, Lily, I couldn’t,” Severus refused.

“Come in,” Lily repeated.  “I’m not going anywhere until you come back in with me Severus Snape.”

Severus raised a questioning eyebrow at this.  Lily’s face and arms were already red from cold.  Her nose was starting to run too.  Lily crossed her arms over her chest.  Severus shook his head and cast a Warming Charm over his stubborn friend.

“You will catch your death out here dressed like that,” Severus said gesturing to Lily’s rather flimsy party dress.

“Then maybe you should come back inside.” Lily returned.

Severus gave her another contemplative look before nodding his head in defeat.

“Wonderful,” Lily said cheerfully.

The two made their way back to the table.  The group gave them an appraising look.  Lily ignored it.  

“Sirius, get up,” Lily ordered.

The wizard in question cocked his to the side in a very canine manner. “Lils?”

“Just do it, Sirius.  Sev, you go take his place.” Lily told them respectively.

The wizards exchanged glares as they passed one another.  Once they were both seated in their new seats Lily returned to her.

“Lily, this wasn’t necessary,” Severus began.

“Shut up, Sev.”  Lily told him.  “Barbara Jones is a cow.  She bullied her way in tonight.  Sirius won’t care about that thought.  He’ll spend the whole night looking at her tits.”

Remus, Flitwick, and McGonagall all let out snots of amusement at this fairly accurate assessment.

“Besides, if you’re up here, I won’t have to listen to Sirius constant questioning of your motives.” Lily continued.

Severus should not have been surprised by Lily’s honesty even with somewhat of an attitude, but it almost did here.

“What about you, Lupin?” Severus said turning to the man sitting beside him.

“Lily says you’re a friend.  That’s enough for me.” Remus said taking a sip of water.

Severus nodded.  There was a moment of awkward silence before Severus asked, “How are you fairing?  Your last…illness was only three days ago was it not?”

Remus nodded. “It was.  Your potions helped a great deal.  I can’t thank you enough.”

The waitress came and took their orders.  Severus ordered the same as Lily.  He figured he could trust her judgment.  As they wait for their food to show up the table broke into conversation.  Severus, Remus, Flitwick, and McGonagall explained their connections to Lily.  The Muggles here did remember Severus from Spinner’s End, but said no more about it.  After introductions were made, the group at the part of the table took it in turns telling stories of Lily in her youth.

It seemed Lily had gotten into a fair amount of trouble in primary school.  This was something Severus was surprised to learn.  He had never heard these sorts of stories before.  Several contained clear incidents of accidental magic.  Others Lily was just displaying a mischievous streak.  McGonagall wondered out loud how she and the rest of the staff would fare when Harry got to school.  With such trouble makers for parents he was bound to cause his own fair amount of mischief.  Lily’s Muggle friends were shocked to discover Lily was made not only Prefect, but Head Girl.

McGonagall and Flitwick assured her friends there was no real question of her making these ranks.  Lily was one of the cleverest students of their age.  The professors did shed light on Lupin and James’ appointment to Prefect and Head Boy in turn.  It seemed the Headmaster thought Lupin could control his friends, something he failed miserably at.  James got his badge only after a great deal of debate.

As it turned out James, although bright, near genius, and liked by the staff, was not the first choice of many of the faculty.  They protested his appointment.  James was in trouble too often.  Not only was he in trouble, he led others astray, Remus and Peter being the best examples, more surprising was how many of the professors advocated for Severus’ appointment.  McGonagall stated if it had not been for Severus’ questionable company, she was sure he would have had the badge.

Severus was both delighted and heartbroken at the news.  If he had only come to his senses earlier, his life would have turned out very differently.  Yet again, he had to remind himself he could not change the past.

Dinner progressed comfortably.  Severus watched Lily eat her dinner with chopsticks with surprising grace.  Her father had learned during his service during the Korean War and required his daughters to try and use them.  Petunia had given up almost instantly.  Lily being of the rather stubborn sort did not give up until success.  She even practiced using pencils when she had a moment of two free during lessons, or was too bored to listen.

After dessert and tea finally came time to open presents.  Probably with little surprise Lily recognized a number of books, both magical and Muggle.  Although the magic ones were charmed to appear Muggle.  There were also a few pieces of clothing.  The last to be opened was Severus’ own small contribution.  Inside the box was a package of Smarties and a small stuffed lion.

Lily’s eyes watered at the sight of the stuffie.  “Roary,” she said sadly.

The others at the table watched curiously.

“It’s not Roary, sadly,” Severus corrected.

“I lost him when…” Lily explained.

Severus nodded in understanding.

“What is it Lils?" Sirius asked from the far end of the table.

Lily held up the stuffed animal.  “It’s like the one he got me for my 12th birthday.  In celebration of being sorted into Gryffindor.”  Lily explained.

Those who knew him turned a curious eye to Severus.  None of them would have taken him for a sentimentalist.  Then again, that showed just how little they knew of him.

The party broke up not long after.  Lily made sure to thank all of them for coming.  She wasn’t surprised to see Sirius leave with Barbara.  Lily made sure to thank Severus especially for not leaving after such an unwelcoming start to the evening.

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sorry for the delay with this chapter. I promise there is more Harry next week.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717