What Makes a Family? by Stump_Pan
Summary: A series of snap-shots that make the Snapes a family.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 98471 Read: 159957 Published: 18 Nov 2008 Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Chapter 9 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
Severus babysits Harry...

“After your cousin’s party your aunt sent your mother a letter requesting that I not come with her to anymore gatherings. She also...” Severus began.

“Dad?” Harry interrupted.

“Yes, Harry?” Severus said looking back to his son.

“You’re talking about a lot about you and Mum, but what about me?  Did you like me at all before Mum married you?  I wasn’t just a tagalong?”  asked Harry uncertainly.

“You are not a tagalong.”  Severus told him.  “Earlier I said that I thought of you is nearly as the son of my best friend.  At the time, this was the only appropriate sort of way to regard you.  It didn’t help I was…uncomfortable being around a child so young. I spent more time with you over the months then I had with any other child in your age range.  I not only grew more comfortable in your presence, but grew to be rather fond of you.  You were slowly becoming more of a ‘person’.  You grew not only physically, but emotionally and mentally in those months.  You learned how to do things for yourself, new words (not all of them positive), and new skills.  It was all in leaps and bounds.  I wouldn’t see you for a day or two and I would come back and you had half a dozen new words it seemed.  It was fascinating.”

“Okay,” Harry agreed, unsatisfied.

“I make it sound like I was watching the results of an experimental potion don’t I?” Severus asked clearly seeing his son’s displeasure with his answer.

“Sort of,” Harry agreed.

Severus paused and thought. “Ah… Yes… That’s as good as a place to go next anyway. Let’s see… Have you ever heard the story of the first time I ever babysat you alone?”

“No,” Harry said excitedly. “When was that?”

“In the month between your and your cousin’s second birthdays, not long after the disaster that was Dudley’s party...” Severus began.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Severus?” Lily called into the empty sitting room of Severus’ sitting room at Spinner’s End.  She called again when know what no one replied.

There was a slight bump and a grumbled “damn” a moment later. “Lily?” Severus said crouching front of the fire. “Is there something I can help you with?”

“I hope so. Can you watch Harry for little while?” Lily asked anxiously.

“Now?”  Severus asked confused.

Lily nodded.  “I have to go to London to deal with some of James’ affairs.  Sirius is on duty at work.”

“Lupin?” Severus asked.

Lily shook her head. “I don’t know how long it will be and there’s a full moon.  I know it’s short noticed I wouldn’t normally ask, but I can’t find anyone else and you know how goblins can be about things.  I don’t know why they’re so set on meeting today.  They were very insistent in their summons.  Can you take him, please?” Lily begged.

“There’s really no one else?” Severus asked.

“It would be a huge help, Sev.” Lily confirmed.

“I’ll be over in 10 minutes,” Severus confirmed

“Thank you Severus,” Lily said disappearing from the fireplace.

Severus sighed, his plans were thrown out the window.  There was no way he could brew if he was minding a two-year-old.  Severus looked at his watch. It was just shy of 10 AM.  He would have to keep Harry busy for the next four hours.  He never spent that much time alone with the boy.  It would be a good thing Harry was so easily amused.

Severus grabbed a book, might as well as bringing something to read while Harry took his nap.  Severus set off across the river towards Lily’s. He arrived far sooner than he would have thought possible.  The walk was almost totally blanked out, too lost in his own thoughts to remember it.  It was a very good thing he wasn’t required to cross any busy roads. Severus knocked and was instantly greeted by a frustrated Lily.

“Were you waiting by the window?” Severus asked jokingly.

“Yes,” Lily confirmed.  “Harry’s had his breakfast.  Still need to give him lunch around noon, and nap at two. I hope to be back by the time he wakes up. I’ve really got to run.”  Lily told him, looking around for some undescribed item, finding a bag with several scrolls popping out.  “Harry,” she called slipping the bag onto her shoulder.

The little boy toddled into the room a cup of juice in hand.  Lily scooped him up and placed a kiss on his scar.  “Mummy has to go.  I’ll be back in a little bit.  Be good for Sev.  Okay sweetie?”

“Mummy,” Harry whined throwing his arms around her neck.

“I know sweetie.  It’s terrible.  I’ll be back soon.” She muttered into the boy’s hair.  “It’ll be fine.  Now Mummy has to go.”  Lily said kissing him once more before handing him over to Severus.

“I’ll see you later, Sev. Thank you,” Lily said to her friend.

“Go,” Severus urged shifting Harry so his head was tucked under his chin.  “We will survive.”

With a nod Lily was gone with a turn on her heel.  Harry looked up at the popping sound.

“Mummy,” Harry whined.

“She will be back later.” Severus promised.

Harry small frame was wracked with sobs.

“Hush.  Hush now,” Severus soothed running a hand up and down Harry’s back.  “There’s no need for all of that.  I know I’m not Lily, but I’m not so bad am I?”  His question was only met with more sobs.  

“Now, now, find some sort of distraction for you.” Severus said heading into the living room.  

He flicked on the television.  Harry still sobbed, but perked up slightly at the sound of the theme song playing.  By the time the show returned from commercial Harry’s tears had stopped.

Severus sat down on the sofa. Harry settled on his lap, eyes on the screen. Severus watched the show for a moment before determining it was more of the horrible drivel that was marketed to children.  Perhaps there was something with a bit more of an educational value, but Harry was entertained, so maybe they would just stay here.

Harry watch for about 10 minutes before crawling off Severus’s lap. Harry pulled out some blocks from the toy box in the corner. Bored with the program that currently held at least some of Harry’s attention Severus joined him on the floor. Severus began to construct a tower, which Harry promptly knocked down when turning back to the blocks. Harry giggled madly at Severus’ sullen frown.

“So that’s how it is going to be?” Severus commented. Harry only giggled in response.

Severus set to reconstructing his fallen tower, only to have it knocked down once more. Harry giggled the whole time. Severus started to build for a third time, but when Harry went to knock the tower down this time Severus grabbed him around the middle. Severus pulled the toddler into both his lap, tickling him mercilessly. Harry giggled madly and promptly knocked the tower over when Severus let him go.

“I give in. You win, Potter,” Severus said looking at the remains of his destroyed creation.

Harry crawled into his lap a moment later a book in hand.

Severus relieved to see it was not Harry the Happy Hippogriff.  Much to Severus’s surprise it was The Little Prince.

“I didn’t know you liked this one,” Severus said. Harry just looked expectantly down at the book. Severus began to read, “Once when I was six….” He was able to get through the first three chapters before Harry became restless. Severus was surprised at how long he holds the boy’s attention. Noting the time Severus considered their options for lunch. Severus was not in much of a mood to cook, nor was he sure he knew how to make anything Harry would eat.

“What would you think of an excursion out for fish and chips Harry?” Severus asked softly.

“'Hips,” Harry excitedly said clapping his hands.

“Chips it is,” Severus said lifting the boy off his lap. “Now, what do we need before we go?”

Severus pulled out his coin purse, as he expected there was a small stash of Muggle bills. 20£ would be more than enough to cover the cost of lunch. Looking down he noticed Harry’s feet were bare. “Shoes would probably be a good place to start.”

Picking Harry up though Severus noticed a definite witness to Harry’s nappy. “I suppose that would be the first place to start.” Severus said Harry back down. “We need to change your nappy.”

Harry helpfully laid down. Severus took the boy’s pants down to remove the wet nappy he was glad to find that it was only pee.  Vanishing soiled diaper and Summoned a new one. Severus struggled with the tabs, but eventually got them sorted out. He righted Harry’s clothes.  “Go get your shoes.” Severus requested before setting to wash his hands.

Harry returned a moment later, red sneakers in hand. Harry plopped down as Severus set to undoing the knot of the laces.

“Why they have lace ups for a child your age I don’t know.” Severus crouched down to put on the first shoe, but Harry ejected, “Socks.”

Severus looked down boy’s bare feet.  “Socks, of course you need socks,” Severus grumbled.

He quickly Summoned a pair of neon green socks. He didn’t care they did not match Harry’s purple T-shirt or khaki shorts. Once the socks were on, getting a trainers on was another was another hassle. Harry didn’t simply step down to get his foot the rest of the way into the shoe. Severus had forced them down. Doing the laces was simple enough. Finally, Harry seemed to be sorted out.

Severus turned off the television and grabbed the nappy bag he saw Lily take with them the few times Harry had accompanied them on their errands. But before they made it out the front door he had to stop to retie Harry shoes.  This time Severus placed a charm on the laces so they would remain tied until the spell was ended.  As soon as they were out the door, Harry took off running down the walk.

“Harry,” Severus called.

Harry stopped long enough for Severus to catch up before taking off once more. Severus sighed picking up his pace slightly. He was glad Harry had stopped when he got to the corner. “You need to stay with me.” Severus scolded mildly. The rest of the walk to the shop Severus carried Harry since the boy had tried to take off again.

The walk to the shop was fairly pleasant.  The line at the chip shop was less so. Harry tried to get down, but Severus was scared to lose the boy in the crowd. He had to let Harry down to pick up their order.

Severus found a table near the back of the shop to sit. Severus hadn’t even gotten halfway through his lunch before Harry was pestering him. Severus sorted through the nappy bag to find something to keep Harry entertained. That worked for maybe five minutes. Severus sighed, crumbling the last bit of paper over the remains of his lunch. He threw the garbage away, keeping an eye on Harry whole time. Once everything was cleared away Severus collected Harry again. Since they had a while before Harry would nap Severus decided to go to the park.

Harry gladly set off towards equipment. Severus watched him.

“Your son is very cute,” a blonde woman said sitting down next to Severus.

“He’s not mine.  I’m watching him for a friend.” Severus said.

“Oh,” the woman said. “I’m Jen.”

“Severus,” Severus greeted.

“Do you come here often,” Jen asked.

“No. Not really,” Severus said watching Harry stand frozen at the top of the slide.

“Are you a native of Cokeworth?” Jen asked.

“From your question you obviously aren’t.” Severus said.

“I’m from London originally. Moved up. With my-with Geoff’s father. It’s cheaper than living here than Manchester proper. So are you the village…”

“My family has an-unfortunate reputation.”

“Really? You seem rather normal.” Jen said looking him over once more.

“Joys of growing up in a small village, everyone knows everybody, and everybody knows each other’s business.” Severus grumbled.

“So,” Jen said trying to change topic. “What do you do?”

“I’m a teacher at a boarding school in Scotland. And you?” Severus asked not out of interest, but trying to adhere to social graces.

“Look after Geoff. Although, I’ll need to look for a job soon. Child support payments aren’t enough.” Jen supplied.

“Geoff’s father passed?” Severus asked nervously.

“Divorced.” Jen said.

“I see. Excuse me,” Severus said rising from the bench. He crossed the lawn stand at the foot of the slide. “Are you coming down Potter?” Severus called.

Harry turned to look at him, clearly terrified.

“Do you want me to catch you?” Severus asked.

Harry shook his head.

“Harry, you need to either come down the slide or move out of the way. Other people wish to use the slide.” Severus chided.

Harry looked back to the other children standing behind him then to Severus, before stepping aside. Children quickly took their own turns shooting past Severus. Harry returned to the mouth of the slide, looking back to Severus. He still did not move.

Losing his patience Severus ordered Harry, “Stay where you are.”

Severus climbed a short ladder to the top. He never felt so oversized. Carefully, Severus sat down at the top of the slide. His legs seemed to measure almost halfway down the length. He carefully pulled Harry into his lap before pushing off. Harry squealed with delight all away down.

“Was that so bad?” Severus asked Harry.

“'Gain,” Harry chirped.

Severus shook his head. “Not me. You do it. Prove your Gryffindor bravery.”

Harry pouted a moment before taking back off to the ladder. He stood a moment at the top, unsure before sitting down and resolutely pushing off.

“There you go, you brave boy.” Severus said scooping up the excited Harry. “For that I think you deserve a treat.”

Severus walked them over to the edge of the park where a man was selling ice cream out of a van. He bought Harry something chocolate in itself a lemon ice pop. By the time he was finish there was more ice cream on Harry’s face and clothes than in the boy, of that Severus was certain.

“Time to go,” Severus said casting a surreptitious Cleaning Charm on Harry’s face and hands. “You are a mess child.”

Severus picked Harry up not wanting to be slowed by the boy short legs. Once they were out of view of any Muggles Severus Apparated them back to Lily’s. Severus set Harry on the sofa. He ended the charm on the laces before undoing them.

Harry let out a yawn. “You need to go to bed, sir.” Severus commented.

“No,” Harry whined.

“Yes,” Severus said scooping him up and heading upstairs.

“No,” Harry whined again.

“Yes,” Severus said again. “You are taking a nap.”

“No,” Harry repeated.

Severus ignored him and placed him in the crib. “You don’t have to sleep, but you are staying here until I or your mother come to get you.”

“No,” Harry protested once more.

“Yes, good night Mr. Potter.” Severus said leaving the door open just a crack behind him.

Once downstairs Severus could hear Harry’s cries through the Muggle baby monitor. He knew from Lily’s rules he was supposed to ignore them. Harry would eventually fall asleep. She was right of course. Not 10 minutes later the slow steady sound of Harry’s breathing was all that could be heard. Lily arrived home about 30 minutes later.

“How did it go?” She asked as soon as she set down her bag.

“It’s fine. We had fish and chips for lunch. Harry had a little difficulty with the slide, but with the right encouragement was able to get down. Also, I believe a woman tried to chat me up at the park. All in all, a rather uneventful day.” Severus supplied. “What did the goblins want?”

“Tried to chat you up? Goblins? The goblins wanted to discuss Harry’s inheritance. Never mind that. Someone tried to chat you up?” Lily asked dumbfounded.

“Indeed.” Severus confirmed. “I… I brushed her off. If there is anybody I wish to court, it’s you.”

“Oh Sev.” She gave him a quick hug and kiss on the cheek.

Severus left not long after to salvage what he could of the day. Although, he spent the majority of his day in a way far different from his original plan, he could not say it was not productive, nor unpleasant. He gained a new level of respect for what it took to be a single parent of a small child. He would also have fond memories of the day spent with Harry.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for the delay. I had hoped to get this up in time for my birthday, but a few things came up for both my beta and myself. I hope the next chapter will be up faster, but real life things are still going on. Hope to see you all soon.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1717