In My Daughter's Eyes by Nightshade
Summary: I was bored and was listening to Martina McBride’s In My Daughter’s Eyes when this idea came to me. What if Severus Snape was Alexia Potter: the-girl-who-lived ’s father? And what would happen if he suddenly was forced to raise a six year old girl?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Make a Story from a Song!
Challenges: Make a Story from a Song!
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6444 Read: 11280 Published: 29 Nov 2008 Updated: 09 Aug 2009
Taking You Home by Nightshade

Alexia Lily Potter, six years old, was not a happy girl. She had a cousin named Dudley, who Al had nicknamed ’the baby whale’, because of his size. A horse faced aunt, Aunt Petunia, and a walrus of an uncle, Uncle Vernon. Ever since she could remember she had been living with her cruel aunt and uncle; forced to clean and even cook for them.

Dudley on the other hand didn’t have to do anything. While Alexia slaved away, even at her very young age, Dudley got to sit around and eat or do anything he wanted. Even beat up his younger cousin.

Al had at first wondered why her aunt and uncle treated her differently from Dudley, but she quickly learned why; and she also learned that asking questions was forbidden.

When she had finally gotten up the courage to ask why she had to do all the work and Dudley didn’t, Aunt Petunia had had a field day. She’d slapped Alexia hard on the face and shouted that Al should be grateful she had a roof over her head at all. That she, Aunt Petunia, should have thrown Al in a river when she’d found her on her doorstep. Of course Uncle Vernon had heard what was happening and had made sure Alexia never asked questions again.

Even now, two years latter Al never asked any questions. Ever!

Alexia Potter spoke only when she had to and made eye contact only when told too.

Yes, Alexia Potter was a very unhappy girl.

But…surprisingly, life wasn’t completely bad for Al. Alexia was, if anything, smart. She could speak full sentences at ten months old and could read at two. And it was because of this that life was both bearable and unbearable. When Alexia had been told to help cook breakfast for the first time, she had read the warning stamp out loud.

Warning! Children under ten should NOT be near the stove!

Uncle Vernon had beaten Al severely. And during the whole thing he’d called her an ungrateful ’Freak’.

Alexia didn’t understand. She wasn’t trying to be an ’ungrateful Freak.’ But that was the way things were. Alexia was smarter than Dudley, therefore she was a Freak. And when the Dursley’s had no choice but to take her with them on outings, and people would stop and say how adorable she was, completely ignoring Dudley, there was hell to pay.

But Al didn’t regret being smart, even if that meant she was a freak. It was because she was smart that she could read and escape the miserable world she was stuck in. And when she couldn’t read, she’d think about her Mama, the beautiful woman with fiery red hair and beautiful green eyes. Just like hers. Or at least Alexia hoped so. Lily Potter would often visit Al in her dreams, always calling her Al’s special name, Lexy. Lily would also whisper promises that things would be alright, that someday her Papa would come for her and love her.

And though Al loved hearing the promise of a better life, she didn’t believe it.

Her Mama had died many years ago. If her Papa had really wanted her he’d have rescued her by now. And he hadn’t. So…Alexia had resigned herself to the cold truth. No one was coming for her. Her Papa didn’t want or love her. And her Aunt and Uncle were right. She, Alexia Lily Potter, was an unloved Freak.

*************

Albus Dumbledore starred out onto the school grounds. The students had just left for summer vacation. At first Albus hadn’t wanted to admit that this plan was for the best but the more he thought about it the more clearly he began to see. If Mrs. Figg was right and young Alexia was indeed being abused then it was his responsibility to inform the child’s parent, even if the parent didn’t care for the child, yet.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Come in.” Dumbledore didn’t turn to face his Potions Master.

“You wished to see me, Headmaster?” Severus Snape inquired.

“Indeed, I did Severus. Please take a seat.”

Snape did so. But he eyed his employer suspiciously.

“I’ve asked you here today so we may discuss your daughter.” Dumbledore said as he sat down in his throne like chair.

No sooner had the words left Dumbledore’s mouth, Snape was on his feet.

“Do not call her that. Albus the night you gave me Lily Potter’s letter I made a decision; I do not want a child. I had no desire for one then and I have no desire for one now.”

“Severus, whether you like it or not Alexia is your daughter. And as you’re her only living parent her guardianship is in your hands.”

Snape barred his teeth. “Then I shall give it too her muggle relatives.”

“You’d willingly place a child, your child especially, in an abusive home?” Dumbledore asked.

Snape stiffened. “I beg your pardon?”

Dumbledore nodded. “I’ve received disturbing news as of late about young Alexia’s home. It would appear I was wrong to place her there.”

“And now your telling me?!” Snape shouted angrily.

“I’ve only just received some actual proof, Severus. You know as well as I that I couldn’t really remove the child without some form of proof.”

“Then why have you waited so long to gain this ‘some form of proof’?” Snape sneered. Just because he didn’t want the girl didn’t mean he wanted her hurt.

“I have no excuse. I had hoped things would change between them that the Dursley’s would learn to love her. And the wards were still working…I was wrong.”

“You were wrong.” Snape didn’t know what to say or what to think. Slowly he seated himself in his chair again. “You will remove her from there and…”

“And what, Severus, place her in an orphanage? No.”

“If you must than do so. But I will not take the Potter girl. She is not my responsibility. You know as well as I do that any family will and would have taken her in.”

“True. But it wouldn’t be the same Severus. Would you have preferred me to have placed your daughter in a family that would have loved her only because of her name, a family that would have favored her over their own children?”

“Not all families are like that! The Weasley’s would have taken her in and…”

“They have many children of their own already and really couldn’t afford another mouth to feed. Their hearts would have been in the right place but when it comes right down to it they couldn’t have taken in Alexia. No matter how much they would have liked to.”

Snape glared at his mentor and friend. “Albus, do you truly plan to leave her there?”

Albus sighed sadly. “Severus, I don’t want to, but you are the only one who is able to take her in. I’m sorry, but that is just the way it is. If you continue to deny the child I will have no choice but to leave her there until she can come to Hogwarts.” Dumbledore looked directly into Snape’s eyes. “I’m sorry, my boy.”

Snape starred, speechless, at the headmaster. He’s never once thought his mentor would leave a child in need defenseless.

“Oh, but he isn’t the old coot!” a voice hissed angrily. “He’s giving you the choice to claim the Potter girl. He’s putting this on your shoulders.”

“Shut up!” Snape snapped at himself.

“I don’t want her.” Snape stood and without a backwards glance, he left the Headmaster’s office.

***************

Alexia ran as hard as she could. It was only the first day of summer and already Dudley and his friends had started their favorite game, Ally-Hunting!

“Get her!” Al heard one of Dudley’s friends…Piers maybe, shout out.

Panting, Al ran through the park gates and toward one of the trees. Quickly she leaped up and grabbed a branch, and climbed high into the tree.

“Come down witty, bitty Ally.” The boys taunted.

Al climbed higher up, praying none of them had the guts to climb up and get her.

“Piers, think you can climb up there and get her?” Dudley asked.

“Are you kidding me? I’m not going up there. Your freak cousin will probably push me off the tree and kill me.”

Alexia sighed in relief.

Dudley glared up at her. “I’m telling dad, you freak!”

Alexia sighed again, this time in resignation. She should have none she wasn’t going to get through the day scratch free.

Piers and the other boys laughed as they all ran away toward number 4 Privet Drive. “I wouldn’t bother coming home tonight, freak!”

I wouldn’t want to anyway. Alexia thought angrily. Slowly she leaned against the tree and looked up at the sky. It was going to be dark soon and the clouds were bright pink. Perhaps now would be a good time to read the last chapter of Matilda? For not the first time Al was grateful for how big her cousin’s cloths were. She had easily been able to hide the books she’d borrowed from the library.

‘Might as well find out how the story ends before I go back to hell.’ Al sighed. As Alexia silently read her book, she never noticed the man in black watching her intently. Nor did she notice that he had silently slipped into the shadows when she climbed down from the tree.

Alexia gulped when she saw how dark it was. Her Uncle was going to kill her. Running hard and fast Alexia headed home. Not knowing that her life was about to change forever.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Severus Snape watched as the girl ran down the road as though her very life were at stake. And perhaps it was. Not two minutes after Potter had ran past a group of boys followed. One boy even shouted something at her.

Swiftly Severus proceeded to follow the children. And the scene he witnessed both amused and angered him. Potter, the small little girl, had somehow managed to climb up into the tree.

Stupid girl, doesn’t she realize they could easily climb up as well?’ shaking his head Snape watched as the boys ran off toward the fat boy’s, Potter’s cousin‘s, house.

Snape had to force himself, however, to not hex the little arse that called her a freak and told her not to bother coming home.He continued to observe the child from a distance. How long had it been since he’d glanced at the photo Lily had sent him? Five years? No matter, there was no doubt that the child had grown, even if she was short and scrawny. For a moment he almost approached the girl, eager for some unknown reason to get a closer look at the child.

‘Stop this you softening old fool! The brat is nothing to you. You’re here just to see to it she’s not in any immediate danger!’

He noticed a look of fear on the girls face as she started toward her relative’s house. Was she afraid to go home? Quickly he performed a Disillusionment Charm onto himself and followed her toward the house. Not knowing that his life was about to be changed forever.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Alexia could honestly say her Uncle’s beatings didn’t scare her, they terrified her! Before she even entered the house she knew what was going to happen.

“WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE PLAYING AT ‘FREAK’?”

Alexia backed slowly away from her enraged Uncle. “U-Uncle Vernon, I-I,” she never got to finish.

Vernon Dursley’s fist sent Alexia flying across the hall.

“I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSES! DIDN’T I TELL YOU I WANTED ALL OF YOUR CHORSE DONE?” Vernon bellowed.

Alexia wanted to desperately explain what had happened. But she knew all too well that she’d only get into more trouble, especially seeing as she was going to blame his precious Dudley.

“HOW MANY BLOODY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THE SAME DAMN THING? ANSWER ME FREAK!”

“I didn’t mean to, Uncle!” Al covered her face with her arms as Vernon proceeded to kick her.

“I’VE BEEN TOO LENIENT WITH YOU!” Vernon started removing his belt.

“NO! No Uncle Vernon, please! Please not the belt!” Alexia again tried to scoot away from Vernon, but again it was all in vain. After her beating, Alexia was thrown into her cupboard. Bleeding, bruised, and emotionally wrecked, Alexia fell unconscious. The last thing she heard was her Mama’s voice whispering, ’Your Papa’s come, my little one. It has begun. I love you.’

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Severus Snape didn’t enter the house until the lights had gone off. He’s thought he’d heard a commotion but he’d quickly dismissed it. No, there was no way Potter was abused. Maybe her cousin was a bully but…that had to be all. She just couldn’t be abused.

But even as he tried to convince himself of this, a part of Severus dreaded the moment he’d go into the house. A part of Severus dreaded what he was going to find.

Finally Severus approached the house. Silently he unlocked the door and entered the dark hallway. The first thing he noticed was the pictures of a rather large boy all over the place. There wasn’t a single picture of Potter. Frowning Snape proceeded toward the stairs, it was then he heard it, a whimper? Swallowing the worry and dread he was beginning to feel he slowly followed the sound until he stood in front of a cupboard. Surely no one was that cruel as to make a child sleep there?

‘Stop being a fool, Snape! You know what abusive families can do. This shouldn’t be that surprising.’

Another whimper came from inside.

Severus unlocked the door and slowly opened it. What he saw would haunt his nightmares for the rest of his life. Inside was Pot- no, no inside was his child. A strange unfamiliar feeling was coursing through him; it was a sense of familiarity and possession. There was no doubt in his mind that a part of himself and his magic was inside of this little girl. Now that he was so close to her he could even see some resemblance between them. Even through her bruises and blood he could see his high cheek bones and strong chin in her features. Snape almost smiled when he thought of how Lily had said in a joking sort of way that Alexia didn’t have his nose. Thank Merlin!

It was Alexia’s whimpers that brought Severus’s thoughts back to the present. “Shh, shh. It’ll be alright child.” Oh my God! Did I just…?! Snape took a deep breath. Yes, he’d just spoke in a soothing tone. A tone he hadn’t even known he’d possessed.

“Papa?” a weak voice whispered.

Snape’s eyes widened not just because the girl had called him…Papa! But also because he’s found himself starring into the emerald eyes he’d locked away five years ago. The eyes of the wife of the man he hated; the eyes of his child.

Taking a deep breath Severus Snape made the biggest decision of his life. Looking directly into Alexia Lily Potter’s eyes, his daughter’s eyes, he said quietly. “Alexia, I’m taking you home.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you like this chapter. Please please leave reviews guys. They help me know if this story is good or not and also what i can improve on. I also want you guys to know that it may be awhile before i update this story, I'm going to try and work on my other fics for awhile.
Thank you! Nightshade:)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1722