In My Daughter's Eyes by Nightshade
Summary: I was bored and was listening to Martina McBride’s In My Daughter’s Eyes when this idea came to me. What if Severus Snape was Alexia Potter: the-girl-who-lived ’s father? And what would happen if he suddenly was forced to raise a six year old girl?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Girl!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Make a Story from a Song!
Challenges: Make a Story from a Song!
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 6444 Read: 11280 Published: 29 Nov 2008 Updated: 09 Aug 2009
Story Notes:
Hi everyone! I thought I'd post  Martina McBrides lyrics to In My Daughter's eyes so...

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes

1. Their Daughter's Eyes by Nightshade

2. Taking You Home by Nightshade

3. Tales of the Past by Nightshade

4. Lily’s Gift by Nightshade

Their Daughter's Eyes by Nightshade

Lily sighed as she finished writing the last letter. This letter had been the hardest to write, especially seeing as James hated the man, and the feeling was obviously mutual. The two had absolutely loathed each other for years. And though he hadn’t exactly been enemies with Lily, Severus Snape certainly had no feelings for her. But…Lily firmly believed he deserved to know the truth.

Suddenly James’s voice came from downstairs.

“Lily, it’s him! Take Alexia and run!”

Lily didn’t even hesitate; she scooped Alexia up and grabbed the three envelopes. “Fowl,” a large brown owl hooted. “Take these letters now!” Fowl hooted again and took off with Lily’s last words. Fowl didn’t even turn around when he heard his mistress’s voice plead.

“Please! Please, not Lexy! Kill me instead! Not Lexy, not my baby!”

There was a flash of green and a scream. Then there was silence. The house appeared abandoned, which it nearly was, for only one living soul was still inside. A tiny baby girl with bright green eyes and a bloody lightning bolt scar. Sniffling, little Alexia crawled over to her mother and stared intently into the woman’s now dull, lifeless green eyes, “Mama?” But Lily didn’t reply. Never again would Lily come when Lexy needed her, or called. She was gone.

“Mama, Mama?” Tears welled up in Lexy’s emerald eyes. “Da, Dada?” James never came either. He too was gone. Alexia Lily Potter was alone.

************

Albus Dumbledore was about to announce the end of the meeting when Fowl flew in, barring three letters.

“Albus,” Professor McGonagall said quietly, “Isn’t that the Potter’s owl?”

“It is, Minerva.” Dumbledore took the envelopes from the owl and excused himself from the hall.

Only once he was alone in his office did he open his letter.

Dear Professor Dumbledore,

For years you have been a good friend and mentor to me. And it is because of this that I entrust this knowledge to you. My daughter, Alexia, isn’t James’s child. Lexy’s father is in fact, Severus Snape.

I should probably start at the beginning. You are of course aware that I was captured and tortured by Death Eaters last year. What you did not know was that Severus was forced to rape me. At first Severus wasn’t aware of who I was, but as time went by we recognized each other and Severus did everything he could to make my time as a prisoner as bearable as he could.

The rest you know. Severus rescued me and I returned to James.

A few months latter I learned that I was pregnant. At first I thought nothing of it. But as time went by I began to wonder who my baby’s father was. I did certain tests and learned that Severus was in fact the father.

Before I was able to do the tests however I did confront Severus with the fact that he could be my baby’s father. It pains me to say that he wanted nothing to do with the baby. He said he wanted nothing to do with the child. And that there was no way he had fathered one.

I never got the chance to see him again.

Of course I told James that he wasn’t the father. But James didn’t care. He, like myself, had fallen in love with little Lexy.

Albus, I tell you this because it is my wish that Severus know that he is in fact a father. I want Lexy and Severus to at least have a chance to know each other if they wish to. Enclosed with your letter are two others, one to Severus and one to Lexy. Please see to it that they receive them. I trust you Headmaster. Please do what I didn’t have the courage or time to.

Your student and friend,

Lily Ann Evans Potter

Dumbledore sighed. This complicated things. If only he had received this letter sooner. When he had found little Alexia the poor child had been curled up beside her lifeless mother silently crying. Lexy had called again and again for her mama and dada. The child’s innocent and fearful plea had broken the old man’s heart. It had been a hard decision to make, but Albus had decided that the safest place for Alexia Potter was her muggle aunt and uncles. It had been the only place she had to go. Or so he had thought.

Sighing, Albus Dumbledore wondered when would be the best time to tell his grouchy, bitter, and lone potions master that he was indeed a father.

*************

Little Alexia lay shivering in her cupboard silently crying. It had been two months and her Mama still hadn’t come. Where was she? And why had her eyes been so…different. Lily Potter’s eyes had always been bright with mirth and love; never had they been that dull green almost grayish. After what had to have been hours little Lexy finally fell asleep and dreamed of a beautiful woman with red hair and bright green eyes. Her Mama told her that someday her Papa would come for her. That he would love and protect her. She just had to wait a little while.

As Lexy slept Lily’s spirit smiled sadly at her child. Never did she want to see that sadness and pain her baby’s eyes.

Instantaneously she appeared in the potions master’s rooms. Severus Snape was seated in his favorite chair, a bottle of fire whiskey held loosely in one hand, starring unseeingly into the flames inside of the fireplace. Lily noticed a letter lay open on the table beside him.

Dear Severus Snape,

I’m writing to you now because I was never able to tell you to your face after that one night at the Hogs Head. I performed the paternity tests. And they revealed that YOU are Lexy’s father. Please, please hear me out Severus. I know you have no feelings for me. And I also know that you hate James. But Alexia is a part of you whether you like it or not. I know I should have said this before but I do want you to know; I don’t blame you for what happened to me. You did what you could to help me and in the end you did rescue me. But there is another reason I wanted to write to you and tell you you are Lexy’s father. I wanted to thank you. Yes, you heard me right. I am thanking you; because of you I now have a beautiful little girl. She does look somewhat like you. She has your strong facial features and your black hair. Though she doesn’t have you nose. Thank Merlin, no offense Severus. Lexy’s does have my eyes though. I’ll say it again. Thank you Severus Snape; because of you I now have Alexia and I will cherish her forever.

I have one final thing to say before I finish this letter. Severus, I know you said you wanted nothing to do with Alexia, but I beseech you to reconsider. I have a strong feeling James and I wont survive this war. And if that is so then you will be all she has left. Please, please Severus reconsider.

My deepest respect,

Lily Ann Evans Potter

P.S I have also enclosed a picture of your daughter on the day she was born. Her name is Alexia Lily.

Lily eyed the letter that she had written. Had Severus read the entire thing? Or had he only read the first few sentences? It was then Lily noticed the piece of crumpled up paper in the now sleeping potions master’s hand. It was the photo Lily had given him. Lexy was the only one in the photo. She was smiling a toothless smile and her eyes were as bright as ever. Sadly Lily eyed the man before her; she could sense the goodness inside him. But there was also a great deal of pain and bitterness. For not the first time Lily wondered if she’d done the right thing.

Suddenly Severus Snape awoke. Rubbing his temples he looked down at the crumpled piece of paper. And, for one fleeting moment, Snape considered throwing it and the letter into the flames. Lily held her breath and waited. Slowly Snape righted the picture and stared at it. The little girl’s eyes mesmerized him. He quickly set the picture beside the letter. After taking a long swig of the alcoholic beverage Snape summoned a small black box. He placed the letter inside first, and then he placed the photo beside it. Snape proceeded to say a complex locking charm upon the box. Intending to forever seal away the letter and their daughter’s eyes.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you all enjoy this story and please please review!
Thanks, Nightshade
Taking You Home by Nightshade

Alexia Lily Potter, six years old, was not a happy girl. She had a cousin named Dudley, who Al had nicknamed ’the baby whale’, because of his size. A horse faced aunt, Aunt Petunia, and a walrus of an uncle, Uncle Vernon. Ever since she could remember she had been living with her cruel aunt and uncle; forced to clean and even cook for them.

Dudley on the other hand didn’t have to do anything. While Alexia slaved away, even at her very young age, Dudley got to sit around and eat or do anything he wanted. Even beat up his younger cousin.

Al had at first wondered why her aunt and uncle treated her differently from Dudley, but she quickly learned why; and she also learned that asking questions was forbidden.

When she had finally gotten up the courage to ask why she had to do all the work and Dudley didn’t, Aunt Petunia had had a field day. She’d slapped Alexia hard on the face and shouted that Al should be grateful she had a roof over her head at all. That she, Aunt Petunia, should have thrown Al in a river when she’d found her on her doorstep. Of course Uncle Vernon had heard what was happening and had made sure Alexia never asked questions again.

Even now, two years latter Al never asked any questions. Ever!

Alexia Potter spoke only when she had to and made eye contact only when told too.

Yes, Alexia Potter was a very unhappy girl.

But…surprisingly, life wasn’t completely bad for Al. Alexia was, if anything, smart. She could speak full sentences at ten months old and could read at two. And it was because of this that life was both bearable and unbearable. When Alexia had been told to help cook breakfast for the first time, she had read the warning stamp out loud.

Warning! Children under ten should NOT be near the stove!

Uncle Vernon had beaten Al severely. And during the whole thing he’d called her an ungrateful ’Freak’.

Alexia didn’t understand. She wasn’t trying to be an ’ungrateful Freak.’ But that was the way things were. Alexia was smarter than Dudley, therefore she was a Freak. And when the Dursley’s had no choice but to take her with them on outings, and people would stop and say how adorable she was, completely ignoring Dudley, there was hell to pay.

But Al didn’t regret being smart, even if that meant she was a freak. It was because she was smart that she could read and escape the miserable world she was stuck in. And when she couldn’t read, she’d think about her Mama, the beautiful woman with fiery red hair and beautiful green eyes. Just like hers. Or at least Alexia hoped so. Lily Potter would often visit Al in her dreams, always calling her Al’s special name, Lexy. Lily would also whisper promises that things would be alright, that someday her Papa would come for her and love her.

And though Al loved hearing the promise of a better life, she didn’t believe it.

Her Mama had died many years ago. If her Papa had really wanted her he’d have rescued her by now. And he hadn’t. So…Alexia had resigned herself to the cold truth. No one was coming for her. Her Papa didn’t want or love her. And her Aunt and Uncle were right. She, Alexia Lily Potter, was an unloved Freak.

*************

Albus Dumbledore starred out onto the school grounds. The students had just left for summer vacation. At first Albus hadn’t wanted to admit that this plan was for the best but the more he thought about it the more clearly he began to see. If Mrs. Figg was right and young Alexia was indeed being abused then it was his responsibility to inform the child’s parent, even if the parent didn’t care for the child, yet.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“Come in.” Dumbledore didn’t turn to face his Potions Master.

“You wished to see me, Headmaster?” Severus Snape inquired.

“Indeed, I did Severus. Please take a seat.”

Snape did so. But he eyed his employer suspiciously.

“I’ve asked you here today so we may discuss your daughter.” Dumbledore said as he sat down in his throne like chair.

No sooner had the words left Dumbledore’s mouth, Snape was on his feet.

“Do not call her that. Albus the night you gave me Lily Potter’s letter I made a decision; I do not want a child. I had no desire for one then and I have no desire for one now.”

“Severus, whether you like it or not Alexia is your daughter. And as you’re her only living parent her guardianship is in your hands.”

Snape barred his teeth. “Then I shall give it too her muggle relatives.”

“You’d willingly place a child, your child especially, in an abusive home?” Dumbledore asked.

Snape stiffened. “I beg your pardon?”

Dumbledore nodded. “I’ve received disturbing news as of late about young Alexia’s home. It would appear I was wrong to place her there.”

“And now your telling me?!” Snape shouted angrily.

“I’ve only just received some actual proof, Severus. You know as well as I that I couldn’t really remove the child without some form of proof.”

“Then why have you waited so long to gain this ‘some form of proof’?” Snape sneered. Just because he didn’t want the girl didn’t mean he wanted her hurt.

“I have no excuse. I had hoped things would change between them that the Dursley’s would learn to love her. And the wards were still working…I was wrong.”

“You were wrong.” Snape didn’t know what to say or what to think. Slowly he seated himself in his chair again. “You will remove her from there and…”

“And what, Severus, place her in an orphanage? No.”

“If you must than do so. But I will not take the Potter girl. She is not my responsibility. You know as well as I do that any family will and would have taken her in.”

“True. But it wouldn’t be the same Severus. Would you have preferred me to have placed your daughter in a family that would have loved her only because of her name, a family that would have favored her over their own children?”

“Not all families are like that! The Weasley’s would have taken her in and…”

“They have many children of their own already and really couldn’t afford another mouth to feed. Their hearts would have been in the right place but when it comes right down to it they couldn’t have taken in Alexia. No matter how much they would have liked to.”

Snape glared at his mentor and friend. “Albus, do you truly plan to leave her there?”

Albus sighed sadly. “Severus, I don’t want to, but you are the only one who is able to take her in. I’m sorry, but that is just the way it is. If you continue to deny the child I will have no choice but to leave her there until she can come to Hogwarts.” Dumbledore looked directly into Snape’s eyes. “I’m sorry, my boy.”

Snape starred, speechless, at the headmaster. He’s never once thought his mentor would leave a child in need defenseless.

“Oh, but he isn’t the old coot!” a voice hissed angrily. “He’s giving you the choice to claim the Potter girl. He’s putting this on your shoulders.”

“Shut up!” Snape snapped at himself.

“I don’t want her.” Snape stood and without a backwards glance, he left the Headmaster’s office.

***************

Alexia ran as hard as she could. It was only the first day of summer and already Dudley and his friends had started their favorite game, Ally-Hunting!

“Get her!” Al heard one of Dudley’s friends…Piers maybe, shout out.

Panting, Al ran through the park gates and toward one of the trees. Quickly she leaped up and grabbed a branch, and climbed high into the tree.

“Come down witty, bitty Ally.” The boys taunted.

Al climbed higher up, praying none of them had the guts to climb up and get her.

“Piers, think you can climb up there and get her?” Dudley asked.

“Are you kidding me? I’m not going up there. Your freak cousin will probably push me off the tree and kill me.”

Alexia sighed in relief.

Dudley glared up at her. “I’m telling dad, you freak!”

Alexia sighed again, this time in resignation. She should have none she wasn’t going to get through the day scratch free.

Piers and the other boys laughed as they all ran away toward number 4 Privet Drive. “I wouldn’t bother coming home tonight, freak!”

I wouldn’t want to anyway. Alexia thought angrily. Slowly she leaned against the tree and looked up at the sky. It was going to be dark soon and the clouds were bright pink. Perhaps now would be a good time to read the last chapter of Matilda? For not the first time Al was grateful for how big her cousin’s cloths were. She had easily been able to hide the books she’d borrowed from the library.

‘Might as well find out how the story ends before I go back to hell.’ Al sighed. As Alexia silently read her book, she never noticed the man in black watching her intently. Nor did she notice that he had silently slipped into the shadows when she climbed down from the tree.

Alexia gulped when she saw how dark it was. Her Uncle was going to kill her. Running hard and fast Alexia headed home. Not knowing that her life was about to change forever.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Severus Snape watched as the girl ran down the road as though her very life were at stake. And perhaps it was. Not two minutes after Potter had ran past a group of boys followed. One boy even shouted something at her.

Swiftly Severus proceeded to follow the children. And the scene he witnessed both amused and angered him. Potter, the small little girl, had somehow managed to climb up into the tree.

Stupid girl, doesn’t she realize they could easily climb up as well?’ shaking his head Snape watched as the boys ran off toward the fat boy’s, Potter’s cousin‘s, house.

Snape had to force himself, however, to not hex the little arse that called her a freak and told her not to bother coming home.He continued to observe the child from a distance. How long had it been since he’d glanced at the photo Lily had sent him? Five years? No matter, there was no doubt that the child had grown, even if she was short and scrawny. For a moment he almost approached the girl, eager for some unknown reason to get a closer look at the child.

‘Stop this you softening old fool! The brat is nothing to you. You’re here just to see to it she’s not in any immediate danger!’

He noticed a look of fear on the girls face as she started toward her relative’s house. Was she afraid to go home? Quickly he performed a Disillusionment Charm onto himself and followed her toward the house. Not knowing that his life was about to be changed forever.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Alexia could honestly say her Uncle’s beatings didn’t scare her, they terrified her! Before she even entered the house she knew what was going to happen.

“WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE PLAYING AT ‘FREAK’?”

Alexia backed slowly away from her enraged Uncle. “U-Uncle Vernon, I-I,” she never got to finish.

Vernon Dursley’s fist sent Alexia flying across the hall.

“I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSES! DIDN’T I TELL YOU I WANTED ALL OF YOUR CHORSE DONE?” Vernon bellowed.

Alexia wanted to desperately explain what had happened. But she knew all too well that she’d only get into more trouble, especially seeing as she was going to blame his precious Dudley.

“HOW MANY BLOODY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THE SAME DAMN THING? ANSWER ME FREAK!”

“I didn’t mean to, Uncle!” Al covered her face with her arms as Vernon proceeded to kick her.

“I’VE BEEN TOO LENIENT WITH YOU!” Vernon started removing his belt.

“NO! No Uncle Vernon, please! Please not the belt!” Alexia again tried to scoot away from Vernon, but again it was all in vain. After her beating, Alexia was thrown into her cupboard. Bleeding, bruised, and emotionally wrecked, Alexia fell unconscious. The last thing she heard was her Mama’s voice whispering, ’Your Papa’s come, my little one. It has begun. I love you.’

><><><><><><><><><><><><

Severus Snape didn’t enter the house until the lights had gone off. He’s thought he’d heard a commotion but he’d quickly dismissed it. No, there was no way Potter was abused. Maybe her cousin was a bully but…that had to be all. She just couldn’t be abused.

But even as he tried to convince himself of this, a part of Severus dreaded the moment he’d go into the house. A part of Severus dreaded what he was going to find.

Finally Severus approached the house. Silently he unlocked the door and entered the dark hallway. The first thing he noticed was the pictures of a rather large boy all over the place. There wasn’t a single picture of Potter. Frowning Snape proceeded toward the stairs, it was then he heard it, a whimper? Swallowing the worry and dread he was beginning to feel he slowly followed the sound until he stood in front of a cupboard. Surely no one was that cruel as to make a child sleep there?

‘Stop being a fool, Snape! You know what abusive families can do. This shouldn’t be that surprising.’

Another whimper came from inside.

Severus unlocked the door and slowly opened it. What he saw would haunt his nightmares for the rest of his life. Inside was Pot- no, no inside was his child. A strange unfamiliar feeling was coursing through him; it was a sense of familiarity and possession. There was no doubt in his mind that a part of himself and his magic was inside of this little girl. Now that he was so close to her he could even see some resemblance between them. Even through her bruises and blood he could see his high cheek bones and strong chin in her features. Snape almost smiled when he thought of how Lily had said in a joking sort of way that Alexia didn’t have his nose. Thank Merlin!

It was Alexia’s whimpers that brought Severus’s thoughts back to the present. “Shh, shh. It’ll be alright child.” Oh my God! Did I just…?! Snape took a deep breath. Yes, he’d just spoke in a soothing tone. A tone he hadn’t even known he’d possessed.

“Papa?” a weak voice whispered.

Snape’s eyes widened not just because the girl had called him…Papa! But also because he’s found himself starring into the emerald eyes he’d locked away five years ago. The eyes of the wife of the man he hated; the eyes of his child.

Taking a deep breath Severus Snape made the biggest decision of his life. Looking directly into Alexia Lily Potter’s eyes, his daughter’s eyes, he said quietly. “Alexia, I’m taking you home.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope you like this chapter. Please please leave reviews guys. They help me know if this story is good or not and also what i can improve on. I also want you guys to know that it may be awhile before i update this story, I'm going to try and work on my other fics for awhile.
Thank you! Nightshade:)
Tales of the Past by Nightshade
Author's Notes:
HI! Sorry its been so long. Hopefully this chap was worth the wait.

Snape gently gathered Alexia into his arms and left the house. He didn’t even bother to close the front door. Severus Snape had only one thing on his mind; Get Alexia out of there!

Alexia whimpered in fear and pain as the dark man walked briskly down the road toward the park. “W-where a-are we g-going?” Al then began to cough violently. It hurt to breathe and to talk.

Snape slowed his pace and looked down at the frightened child in his arms. “You need a healer. I know someone who can assist you but I need you to hold onto me tightly and to not let me go.” he emphasized the words ‘not let go’. Staring intently into the girl’s eyes he said. “Do you understand?”

“Y-yes sir.” Al began to cough again.

Snape gripped the girl tightly and spun on the spot. One moment they were standing in front of the Park Gates the next they were standing outside a farmhouse. Alexia gasped and passed out from exhaustion. Quickly Severus approached the house and knocked on the door. Praying the woman was home.

For a few moments the house remained dark, but just when Snape was ready to break down the door a woman opened the door and turned the porch light on.

“Severus? My lord what’s happened? And who is that?” The woman was tall and had long ebony colored hair and dark blue eyes. Eileen Snape opened the door wider and motioned for them to enter quickly.

“Mother I will explain everything when I can but for the moment I have need of your healer abilities.” Snape followed his mother up the stairs and to his former bedroom.

“Set her down.” Eileen pointed her wand at Alexia and began working her magic.

“What’s going on here?” Tobias Snape entered the room. He took in the scene before him and turned to his youngest son. “Well?”

“She has need of immediate assistance.” Severus watched his mother work.

“And?”

“And that’s all you need to know for the time being.”

Tobias’s eyes narrowed. “Mind your tone; don’t forget whom you’re talking to.”

Severus paled slightly. “Yes sir.”

Eileen looked up at her husband and son. “You two will go downstairs and wait for me. There’s nothing you can do right now.” She eyed her son for a brief moment. “You will explain everything when I come downstairs.”

Severus swallowed his sarcastic retort and nodded to his mother. Now was not the time to irritate her or to loose his composure.

Eileen turned back to her patient murmuring spells and waving her wand.

Tobias left the room muttering about bossy wives, insolent sons, and a strong need for coffee.

Severus went to follow but turned to look at the small six year old one last time. Again the sight of the bruised and frail child made Severus feel something he never thought possible. ‘Please let her be alright. No one deserves what this child has gone through, especially a child this young.’ Severus Snape then silently slipped out of the room leaving Alexia Potter to the healing powers of Eileen Snape nee Prince.

*********

Severus and Tobias Snape sat silently in the kitchen waiting for Eileen. Neither male wanted to speak to the other. And neither wanted to anger the already emotional Eileen.

It wasn’t until after midnight the Eileen Snape entered the room, clearly emotional and enraged. “Who the bloody hell hurt that child! And who is she?” Eileen hissed angrily with unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

Tobias turned to his son and raised an eyebrow. “Severus, I believe now would be a good time to explain what’s going on.”

Severus stood and paced the room. How does one explain something like this to ones parents? Closing his eyes he ceased his meaningless pacing. “I don’t know where to begin.”

“Try the beginning.” Tobias said sarcastically.

“Tobias Hector Snape shut your howling screamer!” Eileen smacked her husband hard on the arm. Turning to her son her eyes softened. “Sev, why don’t you start by telling us the child’s name? We’ll move on from there.”

Severus appreciated his mother’s attempt at trying to make this easier. But the fact remained that nothing could make this easy. Nothing.

“Her name is Alexia. And for the last 6 years she has lived with her muggle aunt and uncle.” Sighing he added sadly. “I believe it was her uncle that beat her.”

“Why? Why was she living with them? Where were her parents?” Tobias asked while ignoring the looks his son and wife were giving him.

“They’re dead.” At least her mother is. Severus found himself thinking.

In his frustration Severus threw himself into his chair and spoke down to the floor. “What I’m about to tell you will most likely forever change your opinion of me. But I want you both to know that I’m not proud of my past. You both know what I am and what I did. If I could I would change it. However the fact remains that I can not.” he looked up finally and gazed into the eyes of his mother and father. “If you never wish to lay your eyes upon me again I would not blame you.”

Eileen reached out to her son and placed her hand on his knee. “I’ll never turn you away, my son. You have made mistakes, but you have also made up for your past sins. You must forgive yourself my child, for I have.”

Severus shook his head. “Let me tell you, then decide.” Closing his eyes he began. “As you both know I was a spy for the Order during the later years of the war. What you possibly do not know or realize is that I had to…participate, in certain activities with my fellow Death Eaters.” Severus chuckled without humor. “We Death Eaters were cruel and merciless. I did what I could for some lives. But for others there was no hope.” Severus closed his eyes and pinched his nose. “A woman I knew during my school years, Lily Evans, was one such soul I was able to save, “he spat the word out bitterly. The memory of the poor broken woman he’d been forced to torture before being able to help her escape was one of his most painful ones. “In the end I was able to help her escape. But not before we had had our fun with her and the others.

“Several months went by and then I received a letter from Ms Evans. By now she had married James Potter. The letter stated that she wished to see me. I went. Upon meeting her she informed me of certain news.” Sighing he continued in a low voice. “She informed me that she was pregnant. And that there was a possibility that I was the father. I admit that I didn’t take the news well. I brusquely informed her it was extremely unlikely. And never saw her again.”

Sighing Severus rubbed his eyes as though he were in pain.” Here comes the hard part, he thought. “About a year later, on the night Lily and James Potter died, I received another letter from Mrs. Potter. This one informing me that…Alexia Lily Potter…was indeed,” he swallowed hard, “my child. My daughter.” Severus finally looked his parents dead in the eye. “That girl upstairs is your granddaughter.”

For a long moment the room was completely silent.

Eileen spoke softly. “Alexia Potter, the Girl Who Lived, is my granddaughter?”

“Yes.”

You’ve known for how long?” Tobias’s eyes narrowed.

“6 years.”

Tobias stood and approached his son.

Crack!

The sound of Tobias slapping Severus echoed through the house. “You knew you had fathered a child and you didn’t claim it?!”

Ashamed, but determined to except the consequences of his actions Severus said calmly. “Yes.”

Crack! Tobias struck him again.

“Tobias!” Eileen rose from her chair.

Sit Down Eileen!” Tobias never looked away from his son. “I raised you to have honor, pride, and humility. But I also raised you to know right from wrong! That child upstairs is now paying for your mistakes and choices! What have you to say for yourself?”

“Nothing, father. I have no excuse.”

Tobias glared. “At least I taught you something.”

“Toby.” Eileen’s voice was weak with emotion.

Tobias shot his wife a glance then continued with his son. “Why, Severus? Why did you abandon that child?”

Severus bowed his head. “I was bitter, cold, and angry. I didn’t want a child. And I certainly wasn’t in any state to raise one. I thought she’d be better off with her aunt and uncle.”

“And look where that thinking got her.” Tobias muttered. Sighing he turned to his wife. “Go check on the lassie. Severus and I have some more things to discuss.”

Eileen rose and eyed the two men before her. Without another word she exited the kitchen and didn’t look back.

“I should tell you to never darken my doorstep again.”

“I know father.” Severus stood before his father. To an outsider he appeared cold and indifferent. But Tobias Snape saw right through that and knew his son was panicked, ashamed, and very, very much anxious for his father’s verdict.

“What do you plan to do?”

“I am unsure father.”

“Well you had better get sure.” Tobias growled. “Because there is no way that child is going back to that…that hell hole!”

Severus flinched. “Do you truly believe me to be heartless, father?”

Tobias eyed his son. “No. But I also never thought you’d abandon a child.” Tobias sighed and sat down in front of his youngest and most foolish son. “You may not see it, but children are blessings and gifts. That little girl is a blessing that you have been given. Despite you past and everything else. I may be a muggle, but I know the story of Alexia Potter the Girl Who Lived. Somehow, Severus, that girl survived the impossible. Someone’s trying to tell you something. And if I were you I’d listen.” With one final glance at his son Tobias rose form his seat and headed toward the staircase. “You may sleep in your brother’s room. Nevertheless, I want you to think long and hard about what you are going to do. And think about what’s best for the child and not you.” Tobias then left Severus to his thoughts.

Severus sat back down and placed his face into his hands. What am I going to do? Severus thought.

**********

Tobias looked in on his wife and saw her sitting beside their granddaughter

“She’s so fragile, Toby.” Eileen said without looking up.

Tobias sighed and quietly entered the bedroom. “But she’ll be alright?”

“Physically yes. But emotionally…I haven’t a clue.” Eileen looked up as tears began to fill her eyes. “How can anyone hurt a child? Especially your own flesh blood.”

“I don’t know Eileen. But she’s here now, and we can help her.” Tobias gently clasped the witches shoulder in silent support.

“So, did you kill him?”

“No. Not yet anyway.” Tobias shook his head. “Where did I go wrong with our sons?”

“It’s not just you Toby. I raised them too.” Eileen kissed her husbands knuckles. “But Sev came back to us, Toby. Please don’t tell me you plan to cast him out.”

Tobias shook his head. “No, sweet. I won’t abandon him. Between you, me and his brothers and sisters I’d say Sev will be fine. With time.”

Eileen smiled and kissed her husband again. They both wondered what their son would do next.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please R&R.
Lily’s Gift by Nightshade

Lexy. Come on Lexy, wake up.” a voice gently whispered.

Lexy opened her eyes and saw a bright light. “Mummy?” Slowly she sat up and looked around. She was in her meadow, the one her mother would bring her to when ever she was really scared or hurt. “Mummy?” Shakily she stood and ran toward the large willow tree that stood in the center of the great golden meadow. Right beside the glistening river that traveled through it.

Sitting beneath the tree was a beautiful woman with fiery red hair. Lily looked up and their emerald eyes locked. “Hello Lexy.”

Mummy!” Lexy ran towards the woman and threw herself into her mother’s waiting arms.

Shh. Hush now my darling, everything’s going to be alright. You’ll see.” Lily said soothingly. As her daughter cried.

Really?” Lexy asked.

Really and truly.” Lily kissed Lexy’s forehead. “You’ll have to go back, sweetheart.”

No! I want to stay with you Mummy. Please let me stay with you. Please!” Lexy clung to Lily, never planning on letting her go.

Lexy, baby. You know you can’t stay. I’m dead sweetheart, but you can live. You must live,” Lily wiped her own tears away and cupped her daughters face gently. “If I could I’d stay here with you forever and ever. But I can’t baby, you need to go back and grow up. So you can live and have a family of your own someday.” Lily closed her eyes and held Lexy tightly. “I never wanted to leave you my baby. Please know that I love you. Do you know that?

Lexy nodded into her mothers robes. “I love you too Mummy. Bunches and bunches.

Lily laughed. “And do you know how much I love you?

Lexy shook her head while smiling up at her mother.

Lily pointed up towards the sky. “I love you all the way up to heaven,” slowly she brought her finger down to the ground, “and back.”

Lexy’s eyes widened. “That’s higher than the moon!

Lily nodded.

Lexy smiled broadly. “What were you making? she pointed to her mothers knitting that lay on the ground.

Something very special.” Lily leaned back against the tree and pulled her daughter up onto her lap. “Do you know what kind of needle this is?

Lexy shook her head.

“It’s a magic needle. With it I can make anything.” Lily held up a doll that looked like her. It even had emerald colored button eyes!

She looks just like you Mummy!” Lexy shyly reached out and touched the doll. Her dress was silky and emerald green just like her mother’s favorite robes. And her hair seemed real! In fact it not only felt real, but it looked real. It was the exact same color as her mummy’s.

It is real sweetheart. It’s so you can have a piece of me with you forever.” Lily said as though she had read her daughters mind. “You mean this is some of your real hair?”“Yes.”

Lexy clutched the doll tightly to herself. “Can I keep it?”

Smiling, and with a chuckle Lily nodded. “I made if for you silly. This doll was made just for you.”

Lexy smiled broadly and hugged her mini Lily tight. “Thank you Mummy. I’ll love her forever.”

Lily kissed her baby and said softly. “I know you will.” Sighing she looked up into the sky; as though something was up there that only she could see. “It’s time for you to go home sweetheart.”

Lexy sniffed and hugged her mother tightly. “Will I ever see you again?

Of course. I’ll always be with you. Always.” Lily stood and helped her daughter to do the same. “Lexy, I know that things are going to be hard. But I want you to know that it will get better. And I want you to promise me you won’t give up. No matter what. Do you promise?

Lexy nodded. “I promise Mummy.”

Lily smiled. “I love you, sweetheart. Really and truly. Never forget that.”

Lexy closed her eyes to block out the bright light surrounding her mother. She clung to her doll and…

Lexy woke up.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry this chapter is so short. But I'll make up for it in chapter 5. Promise! And did any of you think I made that too mushy? I'm also woried i made Lexy sound younger than she is? Please R&R.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1722