Christmas at Spinner's End by Kristeh
Past Featured StorySummary: After the final battle, Harry and Severus are given a second chance.
Categories: Fic Fests > #6 Winter > Christmas, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death
Prompts: Christmas
Challenges: Christmas
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 11532 Read: 36345 Published: 04 Dec 2008 Updated: 01 Jan 2009
Chapter 4 by Kristeh
Author's Notes:
Happy Holidays, everyone! I'm afraid this story will not be completed by Christmas (sorry about that!), but I will finish it by New Year's. And then it's back to "Slave Child", lol.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

Spinner's End, northern England, December 1998

"I need to finish the order from St. Mungo's today," Severus remarked as he and Harry finished breakfast. "You're meeting Neville and Luna in London, aren't you?"

Harry shook his head. "Change of plans. Neville's gran is sick and he didn't want to leave her, and Hagrid's got his hands full with the baby hippogryffs and asked Luna if she would mind working this week and helping out."

"Oh," Severus looked concerned. "Well, I'll notify St. Mungo's that the order will be late and we'll do something together."

But Harry shook his head. "That's all right, Severus. You go ahead and brew. I can entertain myself for one day."

Severus didn't look convinced. "It's no trouble, Harry. I can brew tonight."

"Really, Severus, it's all right," Harry assured him. "I'll go for a walk. I've been wanting to explore Spinner's End."

"That will be a short walk," Severus replied dryly.

"Well, there's a big field beyond the town. Maybe I'll take my Firebolt and do some flying, too," Harry told him.

Severus didn't look convinced so Harry made himself sound firm. "I'll be fine, Severus. Go ahead and work on the potions. I'll see you at lunch."

Finally Severus nodded and stood. "Very well, but don't forget to cast a Disillusionment Charm before you fly. Spinner's End is a Muggle town, remember. And be sure to take your coat. It's been quite a cold winter this year."

Harry stood, too. "I will."

He carried his plate and glass to the sink, and he and Severus quickly cast cleaning spells on the dishes and pans. When everything was spotless and had been put away, Harry left the cramped kitchen and crossed the front living room to the coat closet. He pulled out his thick brown coat, scarf, hat, and gloves, and bundled up. Then he summoned his Firebolt and started to open the door.

Severus came in from the kitchen. "Harry, I can postpone the order. You are more important to me than anything else."

Harry knew that. Severus' actions over the past six months had made it plain that caring for Harry was his top priority, but it still made him feel soft and warm inside to hear his guardian say so aloud.

But he actually wanted to be by himself for a while. It had been half a year since the battle, and still his surviving friends rarely left him alone. Almost always now, he was with Severus, and Neville, Luna, and Hagrid kept him occupied the rest of the time.

Even at night, it was hard to have privacy. At first Severus had even moved a cot into Harry's bedroom and when he'd finally accepted that Harry didn't need that constant a companion, the rooms at their tiny house were so close together that there still wasn't much privacy. Harry was grateful to have people who cared for him so much, and most of the time he was glad he didn't have to be alone with his memories, but once in a while he did want some solitude and this was one of those times.

So now, even though he was touched by his guardian's concern, Harry smiled and shook his head.

"I know, Severus," he said softly. "But I'll be all right. You need to finish that order because we've got to decorate the house for Christmas tomorrow." It was mid-December and many of the homes in Spinner's End were already bedecked with garland and wreaths.

Severus still looked concerned, but he only said, "I will see you at lunch then."

As he headed for the narrow staircase that led to a cellar, renovated into a make-shift potions lab, Harry opened the front door and stepped outside.

It was cold, even more so than usual for this time of year. Snow covered the ground and the nearby river had frozen into an icy serpentine. Harry checked to be sure no one was in sight and then shrunk his Firebolt and slipped it into his coat pocket. Then he set out down the twisting street, its cobblestones covered by a snowy blanket.

The other houses lining the street were carbon copies of the one where he and Severus lived...narrow two story brick homes, plain and simple, with narrow gardens in back. Spinner's End was a small industrial town, most of whose residents had once worked in the local textile mill. With the closing of the factory, many people had left and abandoned houses were a common sight, but there were still some families who remained, struggling to eke out a living or commuting to the city.

Whatever else it might be, Spinner's End was not a picturesque town and it was hardly the place where one would expect to find a wealthy, famous battle hero residing. But Harry had never wanted fame, and he had never thought much about his wealth beyond being grateful that he was able to be independent.

Moreover, Spinner's End had been a convenient place to come to, with no memories for Harry, at least. When he had been released from St. Mungo's back at the end of May, he had really had no idea of where he could go to live, nor had he much cared. Nothing had been very important then.

But there had been places where he had known that he couldn't bear to stay...Grimmauld Place and Hogwarts. Harry still owned the townhouse in London, but he couldn't imagine ever living there. And Hogwarts...he had lost Hogwarts that day in May, too. Harry had always considered the castle to be his home, the first true home he had ever known. But now there were too many painful memories associated with it. He couldn't even think of the castle without remembering Ron and Hermione.

Severus had not wanted to return to the school either, and when he had suggested that they stay at his old childhood home in Spinner's End, Harry had agreed. One place was as good as another, just so long as it didn't bring back memories of happier times.

And he hadn't wanted to leave Severus. It was crazy. At one time Harry would have never believed that he and Severus would have become so close, and for it to have happened so quickly. Everyone else had had lots of trouble believing it. Harry had a feeling that the others had seriously considered having the two of them committed to the psychiatric ward.

But Severus' afterlife experience had changed him...somewhat anyway. He was still very reserved towards most people, and he could be sharp-tongued and aloof. But he was no longer cruel. Indeed, with Harry, he was actually kind and gentle...loving, even.

For Harry's part, he believed that Ron and Hermione had come to him to comfort him and to help him accept Severus into his life. Harry wasn't sure exactly when it had happened, only that sometime during the three days after the battle when he had been in St. Mungo's, practically catatonic, he had dreamed of his lost friends, a vision so vivid and so real that he had never doubted its authenticity.

***

The three of them had sat together in a wide green field dotted with flowers, wearing jeans and Gryffindor sweatshirts, laughing together.

"You did it, Harry," Ron had said. "Voldemort's gone and everyone can be free now."

"We did it," Harry had corrected him. "Together."

Hermione had reached to hold both their hands. "Together," she had said softly. Then she had turned to gaze intently into Harry's eyes. "And we'll always be together, Harry, even though it may not seem so."

"But you can't leave me," Harry had pleaded. "I need you both. You're my best friends."

Ron had reached over to take his hand, too. "We aren't really leaving you, Harry. We'll always be near. But things just can't be the way they have been."

"Why not? Why can't I come with you?" Harry had felt as if pieces of his heart were being ripped from his chest, the pieces that had belonged to Ron and Hermione.

Hermione had smiled sadly. "It just isn't your time yet. But it's going to be all right, Harry. Really it is. There are other people who love you too. In fact, that's part of the reason why Ron and I were able to come to you like this. We need to tell you to give Professor Snape a chance."

Harry had blinked at her in utter confusion. "Professor Snape?"

"Yeah, believe it or not, there's a lot more to him than we knew," Ron had said.

Harry had remembered the scenes from the Pensieve. "Yeah, I know."

"He's going to come to you, Harry, as soon as he can, and you need to give him another chance," Hermione had instructed. "Try to forgive him. He may not know how to say it, but he is really sorry for hurting you, and if you let him, he'll love you, and you'll love him, too."

Harry had looked at her as if she were crazy.

"Yeah, it sounds mental, doesn't it?" Ron had agreed. "But it's true, mate. Give him a chance, and one day you'll be happy again."

Harry's eyes had filled with tears. "I can't be happy without you."

Hermione's eyes had grown bright, too and she had leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Oh, Harry, don't say that. You will be, I promise."

Harry had shaken his head. "It's all my fault," he had whispered, his voice choked with tears. "If you hadn't met me..."

Ron and Hermione had both cut him off.

"Harry, don't be stupid!"

"Harry James Potter, don't you ever say anything like that again, or even think it because Ron and I will know and it's not true. At all."

The fierceness had faded from Hermione's voice and she continued more softly. "Harry, you're the best thing that ever happened to us. Ron and I could never regret meeting you. I wish we'd had more time with you, but the time we did have was perfect and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

"Me either." Ron's voice had been ususually solemn. "And Harry, it's going to be all right. Right now...it's just like we're in different classes, but soon class will be over and then you'll be here with us."

"Ron and I will watch over you until we're together again," Hermione had promised.

They had wrapped their arms around him and the three of them had held each other close for a timeless moment.

Finally they had drawn apart and Hermione had whispered, "You have to wake up now, Harry. But remember what we've said."

"Oh, and will you write to Charlie? Tell him we're all right, and that Mum and Dad said it's time for him to marry that pretty girl he's been dating and start another Weasley family," Ron added.

Unable to speak, Harry had nodded.

Ron and Hermione had squeezed his hands.

"We love you, Harry," Ron had said.

Hermione had smiled at him. "We love you. Always remember that."

Their voices had still been echoing in Harry's ears when he had woken.

***

Lost in his memories, Harry wandered along, turning down one street and then another. He was abruptly brought back to the present by a sudden explosion and a man's hoarse shout. Looking up, he saw a horrifying sight. The house on the corner was engulfed in flames, and a man was standing by an upstairs window. He had somehow broken the glass and was leaning out, but it was a sheer drop down.

"I'm coming!" Harry called. He hesitated just an instant, but there was no time to waste. He snatched his Firebolt from his pocket, enlarged it back to normal size and leaped on, speeding towards the burning house and the man trapped inside.

The End.
End Notes:
Oh, while re-reading HBP, I realised that Spinner's End is actually the name of the street where Severus lived and not the name of the town, but I'm just going to leave it for this story.

Thanks for reading!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1726