A Christmas Guardian by Zarathustra
Summary: Snape and the other teachers decide to take matters into their own hands when Dumbledore decides to leave the castle for the Holidays. How does this affect Harry?
Categories: Fic Fests > #6 Winter > Christmas, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Christmas
Challenges: Christmas
Series: Watcher in the Shadows Series
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 9978 Read: 42259 Published: 24 Dec 2008 Updated: 24 Dec 2008
Chapter 2 by Zarathustra
"Hagrid, thanks for the afternoon - I've had a lot of fun!" Harry said as he tramped - well, sort of jogged in order to keep up - next to his largish friend. Hagrid beamed down at him as Fang ran circles around them, playing in the snow and trying to catch the large fluffy flakes that were coming down.

"I'm glad 'Arry, yeh seemed a bit low when yeh came down," he observed.

"I was; everyone’s plans changed at the last minute, and now I'm the only Lion left. But this afternoon was great; I loved seeing the yearling unicorns, and helping set out gifts for the bowtruckles... Are you sure they will like them?"

"Aye, they was full of their favourite grubs - it'll keep 'em warm for the winter."

Harry smiled at the thought. “Can I keep joining you in the afternoons?”

“We’ll see, ‘Arry – mehbe for most of ‘em, but yeh can’t when I ‘ave forest duties; it's not safe, yeh know.”

Harry understood, and nodded his head. Hagrid laid a comforting hand on top of the black hair, grinning down at the boy. Harry really was a good lad, even if a bit mischievous.

The two continued trudging through the thickly falling snow up the pathway to the castle, stamping their shoes clean as they reached the Great Doors. Hagrid held it open as Harry walked under his outstretched arm, welcoming the warmth of the hallway. "Alright, 'Arry, get up to yer dorm and git ready fer supper, I need to take these mosses down ter perfess'r Snape." Harry nodded as he took off up the stairs; the evening meal was due to start in fifteen minutes and he wanted to get into clean dry clothes beforehand.

Hagrid watched the student fondly before turning to head down the stairs to the dungeons.

****

Hagrid had to bend his head a bit as he entered the corridor where Professor Snape had his living quarters. He shuffled along until he came to the portrait of a tangle of runespoor that writhed around as he approached.

"Please announce to Perfess'r Snape that Rubeus Hagrid has the ingredients he requested." The snakes hissed as one detached itself from the swarm, slithering beyond the portrait's boundaries. A few moments later the portrait opened, and Hagrid ducked his head as he stepped through into the sitting room. Snape was standing in front of the floo, poking up the fire while Minerva and Madam Pomfrey sat on the small couch.

Hagrid nodded to the ladies before facing Snape. "I 'ave what you requested, perfess'r." he reached into the spacious front pocket of his moleskin coat and, after scrounging for a moment, pulled out a cardboard box - slightly worse for wear - and walked closer to the sitting area to hand it to the Potions master. Severus lifted the lid and nodded as he surveyed the ingredients.

"Thank you, Hagrid, this is perfect. Where is Potter?" Severus asked as he set the box of mosses down on the mantel, taking his seat in his favourite lounge.

Hagrid gratefully sat down in the wingback that Minerva had expanded to fit him. "Off to change - got a mite wet when playin' with the foals," he chuckled. "So, do we start tonight?"

"Yes. By the time the Headmaster gets back, he won't be able to do a thing; it will be in place and Potter will be safer."

"Good," Hagrid said, nodding his head so vigorously that his beard flopped up and down. "About time, if'n yeh ask me!"

Severus let a ghost of a smile light his lips as he watched Potter's stalwart friend. The boy would need all the friends he could get in the coming years, and Hagrid was a good start. He turned to Minerva. "Are you sure your grandniece is alright with you dropping in?"

She waved her hand in a dismissive manner. "The girl has been wanting me to visit the last several years - and I must admit, the prospect of playing with the bairns is a pleasant one."

He nodded and turned to Poppy. "You have all the paperwork finished?"

She produced a folder, which she handed to him. "It's all right there, Severus, ready for when you will need it. I wish you luck - you realise you only have two weeks before Albus returns?"

Severus looked up from flipping through the official parchments - quickly skimming the contents. "And hopefully it will be enough time. I can't believe I'm letting myself in for this, but it is the only solution." He sighed to himself as he laid the folder down on the table next to him.

McGonagall patted his hand in sympathy. "You'll do fine, Severus. You have to admit it is the only solution. Lily would have agreed,” she pointed out. “Albus will just have to accept it, since he was stupid enough to let it go this long." She gave his hand one more pat before rising from her seat. "We need to get to the Great Hall for dinner. Come along children," she chivvied, making herding motions towards the portrait hole.

The rest of the conspirators laughed and preceded her out the door.

****

The four house tables in the Great Hall had been replaced with one medium sized table that handled all the remaining students comfortably. The children still tended to sit in groups – although the Slytherins and Ravenclaws were willing to sit near each other. Harry chose a seat near some first-year badgers that he vaguely recognized, and they were at least polite to him; too timid to say anything more than a ‘Hullo’.

The students watched as four of the faculty members strolled in together, heading for their seats at the main table. Harry sighed in resignation when Professor McGonagall slipped him a note as she passed by.

“Mr Potter,

Please see me in my office after supper.

Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall”


Harry folded up the note and stuffed it into his pants pocket before accepting the basket of bread that was being passed to him.

****

Harry had taken his time in coming to his head’s office but, inevitably, he had made his way to where he was standing now; getting ready to knock on the oaken door.

“Come in, Mr Potter,” he heard her say when he finally had rapped on the wood. Harry pushed the handle down and slowly opened her door, stepping over the threshold. He nearly turned around and ran when he saw Professor Snape sitting in a chair in front of her desk, hands calmly folded in front of him.

Harry quietly closed the door behind him as he walked towards the Professor’s desk, staying as far away as he could from the Potions master.

“Erm, you wished to see me, Professor?” He was starting to feel a true sense of dread in the pit of his stomach as he felt the man’s black eyes upon him.

“Yes, Harry, I did. Please have a seat,” she said, motioning towards the other chair in front of her desk. Harry sidled over to it and sat down on the edge of it, keeping half an eye on the other individual in the room, trying to figure out what he had done wrong to warrant both heads of house to summon him.

“Have I done something wrong, ma’am?” he asked, trying to get to the heart of the matter quickly.

“No, Harry, not at all. Did you enjoy your afternoon with Hagrid?”

Harry smiled while nodding his head. “Yes, ma’am, I had a lot of fun…”

“Good, glad to hear that. Now, Harry, as you know, you are the only Gryffindor student in the castle for holidays. This would normally not be a problem; I tend to stay here the entire year, taking my vacation in the summer. However, this year a complication has arisen – my grand-niece needs my help in taking care of her young ones who’ve come down with several cases of Dragon-Pox. This leaves me in a quandary as to what to do with you, Potter.”

“I won’t be any trouble ma’am… please let me stay, don’t send me back to my relatives!” he pleaded.

“But there would be no one to care for you here, Harry… Surely your aunt would welcome you for two weeks?” she prodded.

But Harry was vehemently shaking his head. “No, please, I’ll do anything – stay in another dorm… go live with Hagrid… Just, please, don’t send me back there.” His eyes were beginning to take on a panicked look as he babbled at the Deputy-Headmistress.

She seemed to take her time deciding, staring at the small boy in front of her. “We thought you might feel that way, Potter,” she finally acceded. Harry stared at her in incomprehension.

“We?”

“Aye, Professor Snape and I, Madam Pomfrey and Hagrid.” At the mention of the Potions master, Harry had snapped his head in the man’s direction. “We have come to the conclusion that the safest place for you to be would be to stay with Professor Snape for the holidays.” She waited for the explosion they had all assumed he would emit at the news.

Harry just looked a bit shocked, instead. He swivelled his head, alternating looks between both professors, appearing like a Muggle spectator watching a tennis match. He finally found his voice and spoke to Minerva. “And he agreed to this?” he asked, thrusting a thumb in the Potions master’s direction.

Severus finally spoke for the first time since the child had entered the room, although he doubted that what he said was comforting. “I was the one who suggested this arrangement, Potter.” He nearly burst out laughing at the incredulous look the pre-teen had given him, but he managed to maintain his stern exterior. “I felt that it was time we got to know each other better.”

Harry snorted. “Sorry, Professor, but I don’t really believe that.” Ah, there was the cheeky Harry Potter that Snape had come to know and love.

“Believe what you want, Potter, but it was my suggestion and with both the school heads gone, my word is law. While at supper your belongings were moved to my rooms. Shall we depart so that Professor McGonagall can get on with her trip to her niece?” He rose in one swift movement and motioned for Harry to precede him. “Minerva, have a good holiday at your grand-niece’s, hope the little ones feel better soon.”

“Thank you, Severus. Have a happy holiday as well,” she said before cocking her head in Harry’s direction. “And you too, young man, I expect you to behave yourself for Professor Snape. I better not hear any bad reports when I get back, or I’ll be docking points!” she warned.

“But Professor, your own house…”

“Behave, Mr Potter!” The threat was clear, and Harry decided to obey before she began docking those points before she even left.

“Down to the dungeons, Potter, I’m right behind you,” Severus stated, while winking at Minerva before exiting her office.



The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1743