Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102158 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
An Unexpected Turn of Events by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
More changes for the Snape family occur because of an unexpected letter.

It had been a week since Holly and Harry had arrived at Hogwarts and since then they  had settled in nicely with the staff (excepting Throckmorton) and most of the students as well.  Harry knew most of the older Slytherins and some of the Gryffindors , Ravenclaws , and a few Hufflepuffs from his years spent at the school before this, and all of them were careful to treat the newest addition to the Snape family with respect. 

Two or three of the fifth year Slytherin girls thought Holly was adorable and invited her up to their dorm one afternoon and taught her a few things about hairstyles and makeup.  She returned to Severus for her lessons later that same day with her hair in a complicated French twist, wearing shimmery pink lip gloss, a touch of blush, and some lavender eyeshadow.

Severus's jaw nearly hit the floor.  "Merlin have mercy! Are you wearing make-up, Miss Sinclair?"

Holly, who had been rather proud of her new look, immediately cringed at his disapproving tone and whispered, "Yes, sir.  I . . .I thought it'd be okay . . .Barbara and Mindy said it wasn't a lot . . ."

Severus felt a vein in his temple start to throb.  Bloody hell, Snape! I should have anticipated this, she's a girl, they all go through this . . .but I thought I'd have a few years yet, Merlin help me! Take a breath, Severus, and remember, she's only nine . . . "Holly," he began, trying to keep his voice calm yet with a hint of sternness.

But even that mild tone was too much for the girl's nerves.  "I'm sorry, sir! I'll wash it off! Please don't be mad at me!" she wailed, bursting into noisy sobs.  She turned to run away from him.

Severus caught her before she could leave, astonished that she would so fear his disapproval that she was bawling before he'd even begun scolding her. "Holly, wait.  I'm not angry with you so much as . . .surprised," he began awkwardly, patting her lightly on the back.  Sev, you fumblefooted idiot! You know she's still an emotional wreck, Susan warned you you'd have to go gently with her, and now look what you've done. The Mind Healer had explained to him that as her new guardian, Holly held him in high regard, so much so that she was terrified of disappointing him, since disappointing the only other male authority figure in her life had led to tragedy.   

The small girl was sobbing into his robe, promising to be good. Severus drew in a deep breath and put an arm about her and said softly, "Here now, child, no need to carry on like this.  Anyone would think I'd beaten the blazes out of you. Shhh . . . stop crying and look at me."

"Don't send me away . . .don't . . ."

"Send you away? Holly Amanda Sinclair, what have I told you about that?" he queried, tipping her chin up so she was looking into his face.

Holly sniffled, mastering herself enough to get out, "You said . . .that you wouldn't."

"I meant it.  Trust me on that, little one. I will never send you away, no matter how angry I am or how much you misbehave."

"Promise?"

"Promise.  Now, come here, we need to have a little talk about this," Severus urged, and he picked her up and brought her over to the couch and sat down with her.  He swiftly conjured another handkerchief and gently wiped Holly's face, scrubbing away the tears and some of the make-up as well.  "Blow." He held the handkerchief to her nose.  "Good.  All right, first I want you to understand that I am not angry with you."

"You're not? But . . .you looked like you were."

Severus sighed.  "Sometimes . . .I may look angry when I'm not actually feeling that way, Holly.  I am more surprised at this than angry.  You are a bit young to . . uh . . .start wearing cosmetics."

"Mindy said that I looked cute and I wanted to be like them, sir.  They're pretty and  . . .I wish I was older so then  I wouldn't be such a . . .little nuisance."

"Holly, when have I ever said that?"

"Never, but . . ." she squirmed a little, glancing away, but Severus put a hand under her chin, and made her look at him. "I know it's a pain . . .having me living with you and Harry."

"Is that what you think?" Severus repeated in astonishment.  "Holly, having you here with me is not a nuisance or a burden.  I enjoy having you here, you are intelligent and resourceful and a good influence on Harry, who loves having you as his sister. And I love having a daughter, though it does take a bit of getting used to," he admitted wryly.  "Forgive me if I frightened you, I thought Harry would have told you that . . .sometimes I may storm and shout and I don't really mean it. I get that from my father, you see . . ."

"Oh.  Was he nice, like you?"

Severus coughed.  "Like me? Tobias Snape? Merlin forfend! No, Holly, my father was very much like your father, I'm afraid.  He did not like the fact that I could do magic and we did not get along at all."

"Did he kick you out in the street too?"

"No, but only because my mother prevented it. And that is not what I want to discuss with you, stop getting me sidetracked . . ." he paused, collected himself, and then went on.  "As I said before, you belong with me, and nothing you do will change that.  Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good.  Now, about the cosmetics . . .I didn't expect to be having this particular talk until you were twelve, at least, however . . .I think you should wait until you're thirteen before wearing eye makeup or blush, a bit of lip gloss is fine, as long as it's subtle, not screaming green or vampire blood red, or heaven forbid . . .electric blue . . ." here the Potions Master shuddered.  "You wouldn't believe the things teenage girls are wearing these days . . ." Holly smothered a giggle at his look of utter disgust.  "You have a very pretty face and you don't need make-up to look sophisticated or older.  You're a little girl and you don't need to grow up any faster, Holly.  You ought to enjoy being a child . . .there's no need to rush, the years come too quickly as it is." He gently removed the hair clip in her hair and let the long golden brown tresses come tumbling down.  He carded a hand through her hair, undoing the braid until Holly's hair was loose and flowing.  "There! Much better.  Now, I believe we were going to cover some history today, about Elizabeth the First, who had as tumultuous a childhood as you did, little one."

"Her father cut off her mother's head," Holly recalled and shivered.  "And he disowned her too, once. And she had an older sister who tried to kill her, right?"

"She did indeed, young Elizabeth was lucky to make it past sixteen, given the enemies she had.  But she persevered and she never gave up and look at what she became-queen of all England, and one of the best monarchs Britain ever had.  You would do well to use her as an example of what you can do if you set your mind to it.  Be all that you can be, Holly, and you will make me very proud."

"But Severus, how can I be anything good when I'm a Squib and all anyone will hire me for is to scrub floors?" she pointed out wistfully.

And not for the first time, Severus Snape cursed the evil prejudice that permeated the wizarding world.  "Holly, you are as good as any wizard alive, better than some, in fact, and I intend to see you go to the best university in Britain, and you do not have to be employed in the wizarding world, you can work among Muggles and be a great success and to the bloody blue blazes with what wizards might think.  You have too much talent to let it go to waste cleaning floors."

"But Mr. Filch cleans floors and he's smart too."

"I know, but Mr. Filch never had the chance to do anything more, it's a shame, since he has one of the best analytical minds I know, but that will not be the case for you, Holly.  I will make certain you have the opportunity he never did and you take it and make the best of it, y'hear?" he pretended to frown sternly at her, and winked.

"Yes, sir.  I mean, Severus."

"That's my girl. Now, let's get out your history book and turn to page three-hundred and ninety-five. We'll finish that chapter and then you've a session with Healer Sue, where you can complain to her about what an ogre I've been lately."

"I'd never do that, Severus!"

"No? Why not? Over half my students complain about me, that I'm too strict and nasty."

"They don't know what real nasty is." Holly said wisely. "My father is real nasty.  You're just . . .Severus.  And I'm glad you're my teacher." All at once she threw her arms about him and hugged him.  He gave her a gentle squeeze, then set her on her feet and she scurried off to get her text.   

Merlin, one minute she's crying the next she's all smiles.  And she hasn't even reached puberty yet.  I'd better stock up on my Calming Draughts and Drafts of Peace now, while I still have time.  I think I'm going to need them. Either that or several cases of firewhiskey.  Perhaps some counseling with Sue as well, she'd better not retire before Holly graduates. Severus rubbed his temples, then rose and walked into the kitchen, summoning a notebook and a quill and ink, as well as a portable chalkboard.

 

He related the incident to Susan before she began her session with Holly, shaking his head in disgust at himself.  "I keep forgetting I can't growl and snap at her like I do my students or Harry on occasion, that she thinks it means I hate her and I nearly undid all the good you managed to do, Sue."

But Healer Keegan shook her head at his words.  "Sev, don't beat yourself up over this, it happens, we all make mistakes.  Yes, you have to moderate your tone with her, but don't coddle her either.  She won't keel over and die if you scold her or punish her, that's part of growing up and she needs to learn that your anger isn't going to have drastic consequences for her like Lucius' did.  You need to show her that your anger when she misbehaves has normal consequences-like grounding or whatever, and she can trust you to be fair and consistent.  That's what she needs, Sev, love and support and also loving discipline.  Something which I know you can provide, old friend, since you've done a great job with Harry."

Severus coughed, embarrassed.  "I've made plenty of mistakes with him too."

"So? That comes with the territory.  There's no real blueprint for being a parent, Severus.  All you can do is try your best and try not to make the same mistakes your parents did and hope for Merlin's blessing."

"I suppose . . .but this is a girl I'm dealing with here and I have almost no experience  in that department . . ."

She chuckled at the expression of dread on his face.  "Severus, call me if you need to.  I think this pregnancy will be a good one, at least it feels that way, and I should be able to field any questions you might have about why she's acting the way she does.  Or, you could start dating again." The Healer offered with an impish grin.

"Sue, don't start that again.  That's the last thing I need right now." He glanced up as the clock on his mantle began chiming the half-hour.  "Two-thirty.  Where is Harry? He's late again for his lesson." The professor frowned angrily.  "That's going to stop.  Just because I don't have a formal class with him doesn't mean he can waltz in here whenever he feels like it . . ." He trailed off as the door to his quarters opened and Harry walked in, accompanied by Silver.

"What happened?" cried Severus upon catching sight of his son, who looked like he'd been walloped to the tenth degree. 

Harry was limping, his hair was mussed, he had a smear of dirt across his cheek and more on his shirt, the knee was ripped out of his jeans, showing a scrape beneath, and the boy's glasses were askew on his nose, which looked like it had been bleeding recently.

"Uh . . .this owl crashed into me while I was flying and knocked me off my broom," replied Harry, wincing.  "But I'm okay, Dad.  Just bruised a little," he added quickly, seeing Severus draw his wand. "The owl was hurt worse than I am."

"I'll be the judge of that.  Come here," Severus beckoned to his son. 

Harry groaned, he hated to be fussed over.  " Dad, I'm fine."

"Harry," Severus said, a warning note in his voice.

"I'll be going on to my session with Holly," Susan announced, then bent and whispered in Severus's ear, "He's more embarrassed than badly injured, Sev.  You know what boys are like at his age."

Severus nodded, he knew all too well about injured pride, but he still needed to check his son over. Harry reluctantly came to stand before him, holding a slightly crumpled letter in his hand.

"Here, Dad.  The owl was trying to deliver this to you when he flew into me.  Hagrid said he'd take care of the owl and I should bring this to you right away."

Severus took the letter, gave it a cursory glance and set it down on an end table.  "I'll read it later.  First, let me see what you've done to yourself, Little Mischief. Where does it hurt?"

"It doesn't, really," Harry said swiftly, and Severus knew he was lying.

Silver barked sharply and Severus glanced over to see the big wolf shake his head in disagreement.  He turned back to his son.  "Silver disagrees with that, Harry."

"How would he know? He's a wolf."

"He wasn't always and when he was younger he had more than a few falls from a broom," Severus countered.  "Now, are you going to tell me where you're hurt, or must I vanish your clothing and call Madam Pomfrey?"

"No! I don't need to go to the Hospital Wing!" Harry yelped.  He went scarlet, then muttered, "I hurt my knees, and . . .my shoulder . . .and my bum . . .that's the worst . . ."

"Silver?" Severus looked questioningly at the wolf.

Silver whuffed and nodded. 

"Thanks a lot!" Harry grumbled, shooting an annoyed glare at Remus. 

"Come with me, son.  You're probably going to need a hot bath with some of my mineral salts and some bruise salve and that scrape needs cleaning out too." Severus assisted Harry into the bathroom, then told him to undress.  While his son did that, he ran a bath and removed healing potions from a cabinet built into the wall.

Severus cleaned the scrapes on Harry's knees with soap and water and then applied some antibacterial paste to seal it and prevent infections. His son remained still, submitting without a fuss. 

"Turn around." Severus ordered.

He shook his head when he saw Harry's bruised bottom, and gently examined his son's tailbone and inner thighs, which were chafed as well.  Harry yelped, and Severus said, "You've bruised your tailbone, no wonder you were limping.  Well, the bath will help, and I'll cast a Cushioning Charm on your chair before lessons and dinner. The salve should help the rest."

He carefully felt over his son's shoulder, relieved to note that it was not sprained or dislocated, just bruised. "All right, get into the tub and soak for twenty minutes."

Harry stuck a toe in and yelled.  "Ouch! It's too hot! I'm not a lobster."

"The heat will help you relax those muscles, son.  You'll get used to it." Severus said, then lifted his son into the bath before Harry could protest any further.

He ignored  Harry's yelps, holding the boy in the water until gradually Harry adjusted to the temperature and quit fighting.  "Good.  Lie back and relax.  You can get out when the glass runs out of sand," he told his son, waving his wand.

An hourglass popped up on the counter.  "Twenty minutes.  I'll be back to apply the salve," Severus said, then left.

* * * * * *

After the bath and the salve, which numbed the pain in his rear considerably, Harry felt much better, though he would never admit it.  "Are you going to open the letter, Dad?" was the first thing out of his mouth once he had emerged from the bathroom.  "I wonder what was so important that the owl was willing to fly injured in order to deliver it?"

"You'll just have to wait to find out," Severus told him firmly.  "You were late to my lesson and now we have an extra half-an-hour to make up.  Take out your Charms text and we'll work on Cushioning Charms today."

"Aww, Merlin!" Harry groaned, he was dying to know what was in the letter.  "Can't we do that after we read the letter, Dad?"

"Lessons first, young man." Severus ordered.  "Open your book and take out your practice wand."

Since Harry hadn't gone to get his real wand yet, he was allowed to use a practice wand, which was a wand borrowed from the school stores from a wizard who had died and donated it to the school.  He grumbled under his breath about his father the slavedriver and sulked, dawdling while taking his charms text out of his bag and his wand from its case.

Snape ground his back teeth at his son's deliberate procrastination.  "Harry James Snape, if you don't quit taking your sweet time and sulking like a spoiled baby, you won't ever find out what's in the letter, because you'll be grounded to your room for the rest of the evening."

"I'm not!" he argued.

"Mind that tone, young man. Turn to page one-hundred and twelve."

Harry obeyed sullenly.  "Okay, now what?"

"Watch," Severus said, and swished and tapped his wand down on the chair Harry was about to sit on and speaking the word to the charm at the same time. 

A blue bubble shot out of his wand and settled upon the chair.  "There! Sit."

Harry sat gingerly, expecting it to hurt, but instead it was as if a cloud cradled his abused backside, and he managed a small smile of relief.  "It works great."

Severus then banished the charm once Harry had stood up, then said, "Your turn, Mr. Snape.  Let's see how well you were paying attention."

Harry bit his lip in concentration.  It was then that he wished he was like Holly, who only needed to see or read something once and she remembered it.  He swished his wand and tapped it, repeating the charm.

But the bubble that came out of it was too small to cushion the chair. 

"You need to put more conviction behind your wand movements and your tone, Harry.  Concentrate hard and then cast the spell."

Harry huffed, then attempted the spell again.

Finally, on the fifth try, he cast it successfully.  "I did it!"

"Very good.  Now sit down, and we'll have a little quiz." Severus told him, hiding a smile at his son's dismay.

"A quiz? But I just learned how to cast this!" cried Harry in alarm.

"The quiz will cover the Summoning Charm and the Levitation Charm, you learned previously," said the professor, handing him a quill, ink, and a piece of parchment.

Harry moaned and took the quill. Merlin, but how come he had to get stuck with a quiz-loving professor for a father?  This was the second quiz Severus had given him since they'd started lessons a week and a half ago.  Were other teachers like this, or was it just Severus?

But at last he was finished with the ten questions and Severus made him recast the Cushioning Charm again before saying lessons were over.

Harry stood up and stretched, despite the charm, he still felt stiff and slightly sore.

"Go get the letter," Severus told him before Harry could voice his wish.

Harry raced into the den and picked up the envelope. 

He waited with bated breath while Severus carefully opened it, there was no return address on the outside.

Severus unfolded the parchment and read silently.

 

Dear Severus,

 

This should not surprise you, but I have discovered Lucius's infidelity and the fact that he had a child with another woman, a former classmate of ours named Valina Sinclair.  When I confronted him, I discovered that he wished to pretend it never happened and he refused to take responsibility for what he had done.  Since his daughter is a Squib, he wants nothing to do with her, though he did hint that her mother's death was no accident.

Severus, he frightens me, he will do anything to keep his reputation clean of scandal, and I have decided to divorce him.  I am currently staying in Hogsmeade, and I am meeting with my solicitor to see what can be done about me getting custody of Draco.  I do not want him to stay with Lucius, there is too much bad influence there, and I do not want my son walking the dark road like his father.

I am writing you this to warn you as well to watch over your children, especially the little girl, Holly. Draco told me he heard Lucius talking to himself about trying to get rid of her and Obliviate me when he found me, and I know he would not hesitate to do so.  You know him, Severus, you know what a ruthless cold heart he has. He belongs to his dark master body and soul and I cannot live with that any longer.

I want to know if you could help me get Draco away from there, preferably before I serve Lucius with the divorce and custody papers?  I promised my son I would return for him and I cannot break that promise.  But Lucius will be watching for me, and I am not skilled in avoiding spell traps like you are. Please help me, Severus, I have not been able to sleep for worry and even now I feel as if eyes are upon me.

I hope this letter reaches you, there is something odd in the air tonight, a presence of darkness . . .

Once Draco is with me, perhaps you could suggest a safe place for us to hide, for Lucius will be hunting us in revenge.  Watch your back and please send a reply as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Narcissa Ariadne Black, formerly Malfoy

 

Severus muttered several swear words before straightening and looking at his curious son.  "Well, Harry, it would seem we are about to have some new guests at Hogwarts soon."

"Who?"

"They are Narcissa and Draco Malfoy, the former wife of Lucius Malfoy and Holly's half-brother."

"When are they coming?"

"That remains to be seen.  I must meet with Narcissa in Hogsmeade and inform the Headmaster as well.  We must strengthen the wards about the castle."

"Why, Dad?"

"Because once Lucius discovers where his wife and son are, he will stop at nothing to claim them or destroy them.  And Holly as well."

"But they're his family, why would he want to hurt them? That's crazy."

"That is Lucius for you." Severus said grimly. "From now on, you are to go nowhere on the grounds unless accompanied by an adult or Silver. And you must tell me before you leave the castle or my quarters where you are going.  Lucius might try and hurt you to get back at me and I want to make sure you are safe. Am I understood?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Do not disobey me, young man.  This is not a joke, Lucius Malfoy is a dangerous wizard and he will not hesitate to hurt a child.  So think before you act and follow my rules or else you could end up hostage to a warlock who knows no mercy." Severus stressed, looking directly into his son's eyes as he spoke.

Harry gulped.  After what he had done to Holly, he knew Severus was not kidding about Lucius Malfoy.  He shivered and said quickly, "I'll behave, Dad.  I'm not stupid."

"Good. Wear your amulet at all times." Severus ruffled his son's hair.  "Now, I need to speak with Professor Dumbledore.  I should be back within half an hour and then we can head down to the Hall for supper."

"When are you going to tell Holly, Dad?"

"After supper.  No sense in ruining her dinner." Severus said, not looking forward to that conversation at all. He peered at Harry, who looked alarmed, his emerald eyes wide with anxiety. He patted Harry on the shoulder reassuringly.  "Don't worry, son.  You're safe here, I'll make certain of it.  But it never hurts to be careful."

"Right. Uh, Dad, if they do come here, will they be moving in here too?"

Severus shook his head.  "No.  This is not a hotel.  They will be given guest rooms in the castle, I would imagine.  It will be awkward enough for Holly meeting her half-brother and stepmother for the first time without making them live together. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  Go and take a nap, you look tired. I'll wake you in time for supper."

Then Severus Flooed away to Dumbledore's office, leaving Harry to ponder this unexpected turn of events for as long as he could keep his eyes open, which was a total of three minutes.  Then he yawned and curled up on his stomach on the couch, falling asleep moments later, worn out from the accident, the lesson, and the surprising news.

The End.
End Notes:
How did you like Sev & Holly's talk? And the following one with Harry?

It's funny, but I never intended for this to be a full-length story, just a few chapters, but the characters began screamingat me and then they took me hostage, and this is the result. Hope you all will continue reading, I'm not sure yet how long this will be.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754