Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102158 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
Without A Trace by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus gets sick, and strange vanishing notes cause much angst and problems for both Snape children.

With Throckmorton gone, Hogwarts seemed to breathe a sigh of pure relief.  Both students and staff were ecstatic that the dour and wicked professor was no longer around to spread his supremacist propaganda.  Because of his duel with the arrogant wizard that afternoon, Snape's reputation as a kick-arse teacher had gone up several notches, as the students began to see him as something more than just a strict potions professor. 

Of course, Throckmorton's dismissal left a vacancy in the Defense Against the Dark Arts position, and that meant Dumbledore had to find a temporary Defense teacher to fill in Throckmorton's classes.  In the meantime, he asked Professor Flitwick to teach some classes, especially the theory and lecture parts, while Severus got to show the students the practical side of Defense, which he had demonstrated so ably in the duel with Throckmorton.

When the students learned the Potions Master was going to be instructing them in practical Defense, they were quite excited.  That first lesson, which consisted of third years,  Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors, Severus walked in the classroom and was promptly asked by one bold youngster, "Sir, are you going to teach us how to kick a dark wizard's arse the way you did Throckie?"

Severus had raised an eyebrow and tried not to smirk.  "Mr. Ashwood, I think first you need to learn how to keep a dark wizard from kicking yours.  Then we will see.  Remember, the best offense is often a good defense. Wands out and on your feet, you're going to pair up with a member of the opposite House today, and practice Shield Charms . . ."

With his added course load, Severus had very little time left to spend with his children, and he felt guilty for that, though Harry and Holly never complained.  They did get to at least eat supper with him and he was there to tell them stories and tuck them in bed, and they saw him for two hours during their tutoring sessions.  The rest of the time, though, was usually spent either with Draco and Narcissa or Hagrid or even Filch, who had declared Severus should get the Order of Merlin First Class for ridding the school of a public enemy.

The three children now had tea with the steward every Thursday, after Filch was done with his morning polishing, and the caretaker usually told them some amusing story or two about past students or some local legend, like the story of Herne the Hunter and the Wild Hunt.  Holly usually brought Magik to the tea time, so the kitten could play with Mrs. Norris, who surprisingly seemed to enjoy the small cat's company-the two spent an hour chasing enchanted toy mice across the floor (given to Argus by Minerva) or grooming each other or napping in the window of Argus's quarters.

"He's not so bad for an old timer," Draco had said after he had gone to Filch's quarters for tea the first time.  "At least he tells interesting stories and doesn't bore you to death."

"Told you he was nice," Holly said.  "And don't call him an old timer, Draco, he's fifty-something, I think."

"Your point?" her brother asked.  "That's old, Holly.  It's like somebody's grandfather."

"No, that's Dumbledore," Holly corrected.  "Mr. Filch is more like somebody's uncle."

Draco considered.  "All right, I'll give you that."

"If you think Filch is an old timer, what's Dumbledore then?" Harry asked.

"An ancient timer," Draco answered impudently, and they all laughed. 

 

* * * * * *

 

 As a result of his increased workload and trying to maintain a look out for possible appearances of Lucius, who had still not replied to the divorce papers Narcissa had sent, Severus's stress levels increased and he became increasingly short tempered and started developing migraines again.  That had happened before, when he was much younger, and working as an undercover agent spying on Voldemort, but back then he had not had two children to take care of, and could just take an Extra Strength Headache Remedy and sleep it off for hours.

But with Harry and Holly to look after, that wasn't an option until both were in bed, and then he could resort to the potion.  Which meant enduring the headache until then, and the pain made him have zero tolerance for normal things, like his two children arguing over playing Gobstones.  They weren't arguing loudly, but any raised voice sent spikes of pain through his head, and suddenly he could not bear it and snapped, "Both of you, put that away and get to bed! Now!"

The two jumped liked startled hares, they hadn't heard that tone from him in a very long time.  Holly went white and knocked some of the stones off the table, he scared her so badly.

That made him even sharper.  "Damn it! Can't you even follow simple directions?"

"I'm s-sorry!" Holly stammered, kneeling down to retrieve the stones, tears in her eyes.

"Dad, it was an accident," Harry defended, not understanding what had set his father off. 

"None of your cheek, boy, unless you want to be grounded for the next two days.  Pick those up and get to bed if you can't do anything else but bloody fight."

"Okay, Dad! Merlin!" Harry muttered.  What's eating him tonight?  He went to help Holly clean up the stones on the floor.

Then they both left to get ready for bed.  Just before they separated to go into their rooms, Holly asked softly, "What did we do, Harry? Why is he so mad at us?"

"I dunno.  Maybe he just he had a bad day in class.  It's okay, Holl." He patted her shoulder, seeing she was about to cry.  "He didn't mean to growl at you, he's just cranky tonight.  Good night."

"Good night, Harry," she said, then went to get into her pajamas.  Magik was asleep on her bed and she cuddled the kitten against her chest and whispered, "I really hate it when Severus is mad." She shut her eyes, but tears fell from them anyhow. 

Back in the den, Severus massaged his temples, ignoring the accusing look Silver was giving him, then went to get the headache potion from his private potions stores and swallow it.  Then he went to lie down in his room, since the potion worked swiftly, and one of the side effects was to send the drinker to sleep.  Another one was to give the person rather vivid dreams.  But Severus had forgotten that little detail, since he hadn't resorted to that particular potion in so long.

His eyes closed and within minutes he was asleep, and then he began to dream.

 

* * * * * *

 

He was walking through a dark wood, and something sinister was in the air, making the hair on the back of his neck prickle.  Something had been set free tonight, something wild and deadly, and it hunted without remorse.  He could hear the wails of some unearthly pack of dogs or wolves in the distance and the air suddenly became chill, like ice, and shrieks and screams now assaulted his ears.  Worse, he could swear he heard the voices of his children coming from deeper in the forest, calling him.

He broke into a run, his heart beating frantically in his chest.  His children, they were in danger, frightened and crying, he had to find them, to save them from the thing that hunted them. 

"Harry! Holly! Where are you?" he yelled, praying they could hear him.  "I'm coming! Wait for me!"

But every step he took seemed to get him nowhere.  It was as if he moved through a morass of sticky honey, like a fly in amber, he put a foot down and it took ages to reach the ground. 

"Dad! Help us!"

"Severus, please! It's coming to eat us!"

"Where are you? We need you, Dad!"

He struggled, but it was no use, he couldn't reach them, he was caught fast and the terrible thing that roamed the woods, the thing that had been unleashed by some fool practitioner of the Dark, was coming for his children.  It was hungry . . .he could hear it panting . . .hot breathe scored his cheek and then he could hear it moving . . .

"No! Leave them alone! Harry, Holly, run!" he screamed.  His wand was in his hand, but it remained inert, and his magic would not respond. 

Helpless, he could do nothing but watch as the wailing pack of bloodthirsty hounds and pale ghostly huntsmen descended upon his children, ready to rend and slay.

He threw back his head and screamed.

"NO-O-O!"

 

* * * * *

His own scream brought him awake, a scant second later he felt a hand on his shoulder and Harry said, "Dad? Wake up, it's just a dream."

"Severus, are you okay?"

"Huh? What?" he blinked, then his vision cleared and he saw two very concerned children standing beside him, their pajamas rumpled, yawning sleepily.

"You were having a nightmare," Holly said softly, her sapphire eyes bright with worry.

"Yes . . .I was . . .I thought . . .I had lost you . . ." he muttered, trying to clear the cobwebs from his brain.

"Was it the old dream, Dad?" asked his son, who had remembered the way Severus used to have nightmares long ago about the things he had seen as a spy in Voldemort's camp. 

Severus shook his head, feeling like an idiot, waking up his children that way.  But then the embarrassment changed to guilt, as he recalled how he had snapped at them that evening, followed by relief that they were here, safe and unharmed.  Before he knew quite what he was about he had sat up and drew both kids to him in a smothering hug. 

They were startled, but only for a moment.  Then they jumped up on the bed and snuggled next to him.  "Dad, it's okay now," Harry was saying, sounding remarkably like Severus did when he comforted his son after a nightmare.  "We're right here, see?"

"It was only a dream," Holly added, patting his back.

Severus didn't speak, he simply held his son and daughter for a long moment.  Safe, they're safe, was what he kept thinking, over and over.  He had not failed them, they were safe.

Silver nudged open the door and came in as well, laying his big head on Snape's knee. 

Oh great, even Lupin thinks I need sympathy, Severus groaned inwardly, but he didn't make any move to shift either the wolf or his kids off of himself.  Their presence was slowly driving away the unnatural cold and fear he was still feeling. But at last he decided he'd indulged himself enough and he sighed and said, "I'm all right now."

Harry gazed at him, worry written all over his face.  "You sure, Dad? You were screaming awful loud."

"Yes, son.  I'm fine.  I'm sorry I woke you."

"You want a cup of tea? Mummy always gave me that after I had a bad dream," Holly offered, laying her head on his shoulder.

Severus smiled down at the golden head, embarrassed and amused.  "Thank you, Holly.  I think that's an excellent idea." He ruffled her hair, then added, "I apologize for my bad temper earlier. I had a nasty headache and I shouldn't have snapped at you."

"That's all right, Severus.  I'm just glad you're not mad anymore."

"No, no fear of that, Holly." He reassured her, relieved that she wasn't traumatized by his snarling, like she would have been a few weeks ago.  "Let's all have a cup of tea, shall we?"

They agreed and he clapped his hands and summoned Twylla, who provided steaming cups of Sleepytime Tea for everyone and a bowl of beef broth for Silver.

* * * * * *

 

They all slept rather late in the morning as a result of their interrupted sleep schedule.  Severus reflected after waking up the second time that morning that it was good he didn't have morning classes that day, he would have been too exhausted to teach.

As a matter of fact, he was feeling a bit under the weather, his throat was sore and his head felt congested.  It felt as though he were getting a head cold, he thought irritably, and that wasn't something he could afford right then.  He took a long hot shower, hoping the steam would clear out his nasal passages, but no such luck. He began to cough, and then he summoned a Pepper-Up potion from his stores and took that.

He felt marginally better, but not by much.  He muttered something about "bloody winter and infections" and how the school was a breeding ground for them, then went to make himself some tea with honey and lemon.  Silver was sleeping beside the hearth, but he woke when he heard Snape's soft footstep.

Silver rose and came over to sniff the Potion Master, ignoring Severus scolding him for getting hair all over his robes.  He then looked up at the master wizard and gave a soft half-whine of concern, his amber eyes alight with concern.

"I'm fine.  It's only a cold," Severus brushed off the wolf's concern.

Silver gave a soft bark and shook his head.  No, it isn't.  I can smell it's worse than that.

The Potions Master scowled.  "What, now you're a Healer all of a sudden, Lupin? You're a bloody wolf, for Merlin's sake!  How do you know what I have?"

Silver sniffed pointedly.

Severus shook his head and continued into the small kitchen area of his apartment, muttering about know-it-all wolves who thought their superior nose made them into brilliant Healers.  He muffled a cough with his hand.  Then he put the kettle on and sat down at the table waiting for the water to boil.  It's just a cold, he told himself firmly.  I won't let it be more than that.

He smothered another cough with a napkin.  Silver padded into the kitchen and sat down near the stove, giving him a pointed look from his amber eyes.

"Don't give me that look, Lupin.  It's a cold, that's all.  I'm not sick."

Silver gave a soft half-growl of disbelief, as if to say, Sure it is, keep telling yourself that, Snape.  You're in denial, you stubborn ass.

Severus ignored the wolf, going to fix his tea and then settling down to drink it.  The tea made him feel a little better, so he had another cup while he waited for the children to wake up.

Harry, mindful that his father had a less than pleasant night, decided to ask a house elf to bring them up breakfast that morning, and soon they were all eating happily, or at least Holly and Harry were.  Severus had lost his appetite and barely ate some toast and a few spoonfuls of cream of wheat before pushing his plate away.  Despite his potion, he was still feeling awful.

Holly noticed, and asked, "Severus, are you sick? You sound like you've got a cold."

"Yes, I have a slight cold, don't worry about it.  I should be better tomorrow." Snape told her, then sneezed into a handkerchief.

"Are you going to teach today?" asked Harry.

"Of course I am.  I don't let little things like colds stop me from going to work," answered Severus somewhat sharply. 

"Yeah, Dad's tough, he's never sick," Harry boasted. 

Severus tried not to smile at his son's definitive tone, though he feared his magnificent constitution was failing him and he was indeed sick.

By the time Susan came over for Holly's therapy session, it was obvious that Snape was getting worse.  The little Mind Healer took one look at him and said, "Sev, you ought to be in bed.  Sounds like you've got a nasty upper respiratory infection."

"I'm fine, Sue.  It's a cold," Severus argued, struggling not to cough.

"A cold? Don't give me that, Snape.  This is more than just a cold."  She walked over and laid a hand upon his forehead.  "Merlin, Severus, you're on fire! Accio Fever Reducer!"

A green bottle flew into her hand from her satchel.  "Here.  Drink this and no arguments.  And then you need to be in bed.  You're very sick, you need rest."

Severus scowled, then downed the potion, grimacing.  "No, I can't, I have class to teach and detention . . ."

"Severus Snape, you are out on your feet, only you're too damn stubborn to admit it," Susan argued.  "You can' t teach class in this condition and you know it."

He eyed her up and down with one of his famous glares that struck terror into his students.

Susan simply shrugged.  "That might work on your students, Severus, but not me. Come on, let's go and lie down." She took the professor by the arm.  "It's for your own good, you know."

"I don't know who the hell you think you are, acting like my mother," muttered Severus.

"Your friend, Sev. Because Merlin knows you need one," she answered quietly.  

He huffed, then followed the Healer into his bedroom, knowing even he couldn't  outstubborn Sue Keegan.  This was the woman who had sat with him through one therapy session after another waiting until he was willing to speak about the nightmares plaguing him, who had held him after he had fallen apart, overwhelmed by agonizing guilt and shame, and who had managed to restore to him a sense of self-worth and given him a friendship he had not had since Lily had died.

Before he could blink, she had transfigured his robes into a very comfortable pair of . . . "Sweats and a T-shirt?" his eyebrows rose nearly into his hair. 

"Best thing to wear when you're sick," laughed the Mind Healer.  "I practically live in them now," she gestured at her prominent belly.  "Well, Mr. Snape? You going to get in bed, or do I need to tuck you in?"

"You wouldn't dare!"

"Try me." She pointed to the bed.

He muttered something under his breath, then gave in, for he really was feeling awful, and crawled back in his comfortable bed.  "If I'm asleep, who's going to watch Harry and Holly?" he mumbled.

"Oh, I think between Narcissa and I, we can manage.  Here." She handed him a vial of a clear potion.

"Decongestion Draft," he said, making it a statement.

"Yes.  Drink it, and then I'll spell your sheets so they stay cool, I know you're burning up."

He gulped the potion, frowning at the taste, then accepted the glass of water she handed him after. 

Then she spelled his sheets so they were comfortably cool on his feverish skin and said, "Now get some rest, Sev."

"Have to tell the Headmaster . . .my classes . . ."

"I'll tell him.  Sleep."

"All right . . .If you're sure . . ."

"Positive.  Close your eyes."

He obeyed, a corner of his mouth quirking up in a reluctant smile.  "Y'know, Sue . . . you'll be a good mother one day."

"I hope so." She smiled, tenderly brushed the hair off his forehead, and waited until his breathing had evened into true sleep before departing to inform Dumbledore about Snape's illness.

"I knew he didn't look good this morning," Holly said when she learned that Severus was now in bed.

Harry looked a bit shocked.  "He's really sick, Healer Keegan? But . . .Dad never gets sick."

Susan snorted.  "Harry, your dad's not immortal.  Everyone gets sick now and again, even Mr. I Can Do It All Snape. "

"How sick is he?" asked Harry, his brow creasing with worry.

"Uh, he's caught an upper respiratory infection.  That means he'll need bed rest for about three days and potions for a week.  After that, he'll be his usual snarky self."

"That long?" Harry looked dismayed. 

"It's not really that long, kiddo.  Only problem you have is making your stubborn father stay in bed where he belongs." She sighed.  "I'm going to have a talk with him when he wakes up again, see if I can't convince him to be a good patient and listen to me like he used to."

Harry rolled his eyes.  "That'll take a miracle.  Dad always knows everything."

Susan chuckled.  "Oh, I know he thinks he does, Harry." She patted her stomach, where her baby was beginning to stir.  "Good practice for me, dealing with a stubborn opinionated man.  It's kind of like dealing with a two-year-old."

"It is?" Holly gaped at her.

"Oh, yes.  They hate the word no, are stubborn, and want their own way all the time," Sue said, her eyes twinkling mischievously.  "Now don't ever repeat that, you hear?" She threw a pretend glare at them.

"Uh, Healer Sue, you need more practice," Harry informed her cheekily.

"Brat!" she frowned at him.  "Oh, you're Sev's son all right, Harry." Then she ruffled his hair and said it was time to go and get Draco so they could study their Transfiguration after she finished with Holly.

* * * * * *

 

Healer Keegan did manage to convince Severus to stay in bed and rest for the entire three days, much to the amazement of Madam Pomfrey.  "Usually the Apocalypse has to occur before that happens.  What did you do to him, use a Sticking Charm?"

Susan shook her head.  "No.  I used a tried and true method that always works."

"Oh?"

"I guilt-tripped him," Susan answered gleefully.  "I asked him if he wanted his kids to end up in an orphanage when he died, because that's what was going to happen unless he took my advice and stopped playing Invincible Wizard and started taking care of himself."

"Why . . .that's brilliant!"

The Mind Healer shrugged modestly.  "Not really.  I just know how Sev thinks, is all.  What he won't do for himself, he'll do for his kids."

Madam Pomfrey shook her head in admiration.  "Ten years I've worked with the man and I never figured it out.  Amazing, simply amazing, young woman!"

  Susan shrugged.  "If you say so," she said, thinking If you spent some time with him as a friend, maybe you'd have figured that out.  His family means the world to him, especially because he never had that good of one to start with.  But he does now, and he's not going to let anyone or anything mess it up.  "Excuse me, I have to see if he needs anything else before I leave, Poppy.  See you next Thursday."

* * * * * *

It was while Severus was slowly recovering from his illness that something odd began happening to Holly.  Strange pieces of parchment began appearing inside her schoolbooks, or inside her book bag.  The parchments were always unsigned, but they usually contained something personal and unflattering about her. 

The first one she discovered inside her history book and it read:

Better watch it, Squib girl, before history repeats itself, and you end up like old Filch, mopping up puke and scrubbing toilets.

She was puzzled, not understanding how that note had gotten there in the first place.  But when she went to show it to Draco, who was helping her study for a quiz Severus was going to give her as soon as he was better, she discovered the words vanished right off the parchment and there was only a blank piece of paper. 

At first, she thought it might be a prank by one of the students, and decided to ignore it. 

But another note showed up two days later, this one inside her math notebook, and its message was even crueler.

Do you know what you get when you take five Squibs and multiply them?

A bunch of targets, or a herd of pigs. 

Try not to get above yourself, girlie, education's wasted on a worthless thing like you.

 

This time, Holly grew quite angry about the note's content, but again the words vanished off the parchment.  She suspected the prank was probably generated by the three students Severus had caught hexing Magik, it made sense they'd resent her for causing them to get in trouble. 

But she couldn't accuse without proof and the ink vanished without a trace soon after she had read a note. 

And when she tried to mention the notes to Harry or Draco, she found she couldn't speak of them, every time she tried, she couldn't get the words out.  It frightened her, that she could not speak of these odd vanishing notes, not to her brothers, or a teacher, or even Severus.   What's happening to me? How come I can't talk about these weird notes?

 

Severus recovered from his illness in about four days, and was able to go back to teaching.  But he noticed that something was odd with his daughter.  She seemed withdrawn and not her usual perky self.  She still played games with her brothers or walked around the grounds with Silver, but there was a subdued quality about her that he had not seen since she had first arrived at his home.  And yet, when he tried to speak with her, asking if everything was all right, she said she was fine.  It puzzled him, but he had a great deal of paperwork to catch up on, and so he could not take as much time as he would have liked to reassure her more closely. 

He did, however, ask Harry and Draco if they had noticed anything bothering their sister.  Both young wizards said she had become quieter, but she hadn't said anything else.  "Keep an eye on her, if you would.  Perhaps some students have been teasing her.  Just because Throckmorton is gone doesn't mean that prejudice died with him."

"Okay, Dad.  We'll make sure nobody says anything mean to Holly." Harry said.

"That's right, Professor Snape.  And if anyone does say something, we'll kick their arse," Draco added, a fierce light in his eyes.  Then he said quickly, "Uh, don't tell my mother I said that."

"Now, don't go looking for trouble, you two." Severus ordered sternly.  "I just wanted to make sure she wasn't being picked on or anything.  If anyone does make remarks, I want you to walk away and tell a teacher, or Narcissa.  Do not start a fight, boys, am I understood?"

They both nodded reluctantly, and Harry muttered, "Merlin, Dad, you're no fun!"

Severus shot a glare at him.  "Never mind, young man.  All right, go and amuse yourselves.  I should be done with class around four and then we can have lessons on Summoning Charms."

He shooed them away and they went off to play with the unicorns and help Hagrid explore the forest with the gamekeeper and Silver.  After they spent the morning with the gamekeeper and the animals, Holly felt more relaxed and had regained some of her equilibrium.  It had started snowing a bit, and the boys and Holly had a snowball fight before coming inside the school.

Holly quickly went to change, getting into warmer clothes.  She figured she would read a little before going to have her lesson with Severus, since the boys had theirs first that afternoon.  But when she went to pick up the book she had been reading, a slip of paper fell out.

She felt her breath start coming in gasps, and knelt to pick it up, trembling slightly as she unfolded it.  It was yet another note.

Don't you ever feel guilty causing so many problems for your guardian and brother? If not for you, they wouldn't have to worry about trouble with other students and teachers? Before you came along, they were happy, and now look at what's happened.

 

The words struck her like a slap, and she began to cry, very softly.  There was still a small part of her that felt guilty about costing Draco his father and causing so much trouble for Severus with the press and all. This note, appearing so suddenly after the first ones, picked apart her self-confidence, which had only just started to improve, and all of the old self-doubt returned tenfold.

And then, just as she was going to run and try and show the note to Severus, the writing vanished, same as the others. She crumpled the now blank parchment in her hand.  Without proof, she couldn't show anyone anything, they would think her mad. More tears followed.  She wrapped her arms about her knees, weeping wretchedly. 

"Holly, it's time for your lesson," she heard Harry calling, and swiftly wiped her eyes and tried to compose herself. 

"All right.  Just a minute!" she called back, and went to wash her face and erase any sign that she was crying, not wanting to have to answer any awkward questions. 

When she emerged from the bathroom and went to sit down at the table next o her father, Draco and Harry were going to play some wizard chess in the den.  None of them noticed anything different.  Severus eyed her in concern.  "Holly, is there anything troubling you?" he queried, sensing instinctively that something was wrong.

But she shook her head firmly.  "No, Severus.  I'm . . .okay.  I read all of chapter 23  and 24 of my history like you said.  Are we going to have a test on it today?"

"Yes.  Are you ready for one, Miss Sinclair?"

"Yes, sir."

Severus handed her the test he had made up earlier and she settled down to her work, outwardly calm, but inwardly her stomach was churning.

 

* * * * * *

 Harry also began receiving anonymous notes, that later vanished after he read them. 

As a big brother, shouldn't you be trying harder to protect your little sister? Even from Draco? He was once the son of a Death Eater, who knows what kind of curses he learned? And how he could influence your sister?

After reading that he felt an uncharacteristic desire to go and accuse Draco of using Dark magic, and tell him to stay away from Holly.  He was disturbed and puzzled, wondering where the note had come from.  It did not appear to be a student's handwriting.  But he had no time to study it, for it vanished soon after he had read the note. 

And when he tried to ask Draco or Severus about it, he found that he couldn't talk about it.  Words stuck in his throat, and he couldn't utter a syllable of anything to do with the notes at all.  It was both alarming and frustrating, and he didn't understand what was happening to him either. 

The notes kept appearing and vanishing all that next week, making Harry moody and sullen and Holly quiet and withdrawn.  Twice Harry started a quarrel with Draco, and the second time ended up getting scolded and sent to his room by Severus when he refused to explain why he had called the other boy a stuck-up snot. 

The Potions Master didn't know what to make of his children's behavior, and asked Narcissa if she had noticed anything odd between Draco and Harry before this, but the blond witch said just last week they had been fine, playing Quidditch and getting along well with each other.  "Perhaps this is just a phase.  I think all children go through it."

"Yes, perhaps," Severus nodded. 

But that week, even Susan noticed something strange with Holly.  "I can't understand it, Severus.  She was doing so well, she seemed happy and content, especially after Throckmorton was . . .um . . .eaten.  But her emotional levels are depressed and upset, almost the way she was when I first began with her, and yet when I ask if there's anything wrong, she says she is fine.  I've tried and tried to get her to talk to me, but she refuses.  I just don't understand it."

"That makes two of us." Severus sighed.  "And Harry has had an attitude with me as well lately." He heaved a sigh.  "I will try to talk to her again tonight, Sue.  You seem a little tired yourself."

"I am, a bit.  This baby takes a lot out of me, Sev.  I'll be glad when he or she is born."

"Perhaps you had better go home and rest?" he suggested.  "I wouldn't want Billy to think I'm working you to exhaustion."

"Ha! He knows better, Sev.  I'm my own worst enemy there, old friend." The Mind Healer laughed.  Then she yawned, covering it with a hand.  "Although perhaps you're right, and I do need some more rest.  Keep in touch and if you or Holly need to talk, Floo me."

Severus bid her goodbye and then returned to his desk in the corner of the den to mark some test papers for his fifth year potions.  Today Harry acted as if he had never had any quarrel with Draco, and  Narcissa had taken all three children to Hogsmeade to Honeydukes and Zonkos.  Even Holly had perked up at that.  Perhaps she would be willing to talk to him afterwards, he mused, then settled down and began grading with a vengeance.

The End.
End Notes:
So, how did you like the way Sue handled sick Sev?

And who is behind the mysterious notes?

Thanks for all the reviews!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754