Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102176 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
Fire Seeing by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Holly tries to speak about the notes to both Severus and Harry, but the compulsion spell renders her mute.

Then Draco suggests Holly try to see the future for him, but what she sees spells disaster.

Severus had just finished grading an entire stack of homework and all of his fifth years' exams when the children and Narcissa returned from Hogsmeade.  Draco and Harry were in high spirits and even Holly was smiling brightly.  It was with relief that Severus set down his quill and stretched, joining Narcissa and the children at the table for a spot of tea and some cakes that the witch had purchased from a bakery in Hogsmeade that Severus particularly liked. 

"Rough afternoon, Severus?" asked Narcissa, indicating the stack of graded papers with a slight motion of her chin.   "More students not paying attention and failing?"

Severus rubbed his temple and his mouth twitched into a reluctant smile.  "Some, yes.  More than I would like, but I do have high standards, and those who fool around and don't pay attention in class reap the rewards of their folly on my exams.  But on the whole, most of them passed, a few did better than expected, and very few received top marks."  He carefully sipped his tea, it was very hot, but it warmed him considerably.  He made a mental note to increase the temperature in his quarters, he sometimes forgot how drafty and damp it was down here in the bowels of the castle after living here for so many years. 

"Did I do all right on my test, Severus?" Holly asked worriedly, shredding her cake into tiny pieces on her plate. 

He bit back a groan, he had meant to grade her exam along with the others, but had instead shoved it off to the side and forgotten about it until now.  "I haven't marked it yet, Holly.  I'll review it after tea.  Did you have a good time at Hogsmeade?"

"Yes.  Narcissa-I mean Mrs. Malfoy-" Holly corrected herself, blushing.  "-took us to Zonkos and to Honeydukes and we saw the Shrieking Shack too, only she wouldn't let us go right up to it and I didn't want to, either.  It . . .it gave me  a bad feeling," Holly said, suppressing a shiver.

Severus gave her a sympathetic look, he understood exactly where she was coming from.  The Shrieking Shack held terrible memories for him since Black's cruel joke and he had not been back since then.  "I can't say I'm surprised.  Unpleasant things once happened there." Like a near murder.

"I know. I could feel it."

"Mother says it's the most haunted building in Britain," Draco related, feeling a deliciously shivery feeling run down his spine.

"Yeah, and it looked it too," Harry added.  He didn't mention that the Shack had given him the creeps.  "We got some sweet products at Zonkos, Dad. Purple Tongue Twister Candy and Bangarangs-that's wizard crackers that make an extra loud bang when you throw them down and they burst open with colored streamers, and Buzzing Taffy-it makes you buzz like a bee for two minutes and . . .uh, what else, Draco?"

"Giggle Juice, makes you laugh insanely at everything for three minutes," Draco supplied.  "I wanted to get the Death By Fart Cake only Mother wouldn't let me," he pouted a little.

"Wise decision," Severus said, and gave Narcissa a glance of approval.

"I said to myself, that is the very last thing he needs.  I remember how the dungbombs the Gryffindors used to light off stank for days when we were students, until old Slughorn would cast a Fresh Air charm to get rid of the stench." Narcissa made a face. 

Severus grimaced, for he too could recall that being the case.  And most of those had been thrown by Potter and his band of pranksters. 

"But Mother, the cake isn't like a dung bomb." Draco protested.  "It just makes you fart till you nearly pass out for five minutes." He snickered and so did Harry.

Holly rolled her eyes.  "Boys! They're disgusting," she muttered to Narcissa.

"Girls!" Draco shot back.  "They're boring!"

"What else did you buy?" Severus interjected, before an argument could get started.

The children then listed multiple types of candy they had purchased with their allowance, and Severus's head swam, making him regret he had asked.  Then he added firmly, "You are not to eat all of that at once, understand? Otherwise you'll end up with a terrible stomachache and be so hyper you won't be able to sit still for two days."

Harry and Holly groaned at that dictate. 

"Merlin, you're strict, Professor," said Draco, giving the other two a commiserating look. 

"Don't think you're allowed to consume all of your sweets in an hour or two either, Draco Anthony," said his mother.

"Aww, but Mother . . .!"

"Never you mind, young man." Narcissa waved a finger at her son.  "Severus, I think we had better be going.  I need to speak with Mr. Avante again about the custody suit and see if he has heard from Lucius yet." She rose and beckoned to Draco, who climbed to his feet reluctantly.  

"I understand.  I hope Lucius sees sense." Severus replied.  "I have also written to him, asking that he give up his paternity rights to Holly so that I may adopt her."

"Has he answered you?"

"No.  But it has only been two days, so perhaps he has not read it yet." Severus told her, though he thought it more likely that Lucius wa simply ignoring him or had decided to delay a response on purpose, making his old schoolmate sweat in repayment for the humiliation he had been dealt at Snape's hands.  He looked pointedly at his two children.  "What do you say to Narcissa?"

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy," the two chorused.

Narcissa smiled at them.  "You are very welcome, children.  We had a very nice outing.  We shall have to take your father next time, if he's not chained to his desk marking papers, that is."

Then the Malfoys returned to their own suite and left Severus time to mark Holly's test and discuss the results with her.  Actually, there wasn't much to discuss, because the girl had aced her exam, and Severus was pleased with her progress and said so. 

The child gave him one of her sweet smiles, basking in his approval, and he began to hope that she had put whatever was bothering her behind her.  "Is there anything else you would like to discuss, Holly?"

She bit her lip.  "N-no." I really wish I could tell him about the notes.  But I can't.  If I try, I'll just . . .She quickly shook her head.

"Are you certain, little one? I have noticed . . .you haven't been yourself lately.  If there is something troubling you, you can tell me."

Holly looked down at the ground.  She wanted to blurt out her secret, it was tearing her apart inside, but whatever strange compulsion it was held her mute, a prisoner in her own mind.  "I . . .can't."

"Why not? Don't you trust me?" Severus queried, a hurt tone now entering his voice.  He knew that guilt was a great motivator, especially with conscientious little girls like Holly.

"Yes, but . . .I can't tell you! I . . .can't!" she wailed, struggling against the terrible compulsion with everything she had.  It was no use.  She burst into tears.

Well, he had been expecting a reaction, true, but not one like this.  He scolded himself roundly in his head for pushing her too hard, he should have left well enough alone. Once again you've mucked things up, Severus.  Oh, Merlin, I don't think I'm cut out to be a father to a girl.  I don't ever recall making Harry cry this easily.  Except the rare time I spanked him.  Ah, but then Harry was never rejected by his father the way Holly was. And now I've gone and made things worse. "All right, little one.  You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Now hush." He drew her onto his knee and she buried her face in his shoulder, sobbing pathetically.

He held her for what seemed like hours, but was actually only ten minutes. Severus carded his hand through her hair and hushed her, alternating between that and patting her back soothingly.  Holly eventually composed herself and sat up, taking the handkerchief he handed her and wiping her eyes and nose.  "I'm sorry."

"For what? Holly, if there is a problem, and you don't wish to talk to me, please talk to Healer Sue, or your brothers, or at least write it in your journal. And don't demean my intelligence by telling me there's nothing wrong, young lady, because I know there is."  He tilted her chin up and stared into her eyes for a brief moment.  Then he hugged her and said, "I think Harry's out of the shower now, so you can use it."

She wrinkled her nose at him.  "Are you saying I smell?"

"What? No, but all that crying often gives you a headache, and I find a nice warm shower helps clear your head."

She gave him a tremulous smile.  "Oh.  All right." Then she cocked her head and asked, in that odd direct knowing way she sometimes had, "Do you know that because you've cried like that too once?"

Severus hesitated.  He normally did not discuss his past with anyone, especially not his children, unless absolutely necessary.  But, to his everlasting astonishment, he found himself nodding.  "Once, and more than once, Holly, I have cried just the way you did now.  So I am speaking from experience.  Would you like to follow my advice?"

"Yes." Suddenly she flung her arms about him again.  "I'm sorry you were sad like me, Severus. I hope you had someone there to hug you the way you did with me."

And for the second time in five minutes, the Potions Master was astonished and rendered speechless.  How the blazes did she know that I never had anyone to offer me comfort? And that it would have meant everything if I had, though I would have rather been Crucio-ed than admit it back then? Oh, Lucius, you fool, you made the greatest mistake of your life when you cast her out.

"Thank you," he managed to say at last.  "Will you think about what I said?"

"Yes." Then she turned and headed towards the bathroom.  "You give as good a hug as my mum," she called over her shoulder. 

That time Severus smiled.  Oh, Holly, you are a gem!

Harry nearly banged into his sister coming out of the bathroom.  "Holl, what the . . . hey, have you been, uh . . .crying?"

"A little," she admitted, knowing it was impossible to hide it now.

"Why? Did Dad yell at you for failing his test or something?"

"No.  I aced the test, and even if I didn't I never cry over something like that!" Holly replied indignantly.  "What do you think I am-a nerd?"

Harry giggled.  "Well, you said it, not me."

"Puh-lease!" She rolled her eyes at him. 

"Then what's the matter?" he persisted, for it really bothered him when she was upset.  It made him ache queerly in his chest, though he didn't understand quite why.

"I . . .can't say.  But . . .it's not important.  Now, could you please move, Harry? I'd like to get a shower before bed, I'm kind of all hot and sweaty."

Harry smirked.  "Nothing wrong with a little sweat."

"Sure, if you're a caveman.  Ugh!" She made a face at him.  "Move it, Mr. Snape."

"Okay, okay, keep your pants on," he laughed, then ducked her playful cuff on the ear, surrendering the bathroom to her.

It was with relief that Holly shut the door, and began running the water.  She prayed that Severus's suggestion of writing in her journal would mean she could write about the notes. 

But though the shower did help her relax, she returned to her room and tried to write about the odd notes and was unable to form a single letter.  Every time she tried, her pen would freeze, or the ink would splatter, or the nub of the quill tore a hole in the parchment.  After fifteen minutes of struggling she gave up and nearly threw the pen across the room. 

At a loss, she hugged her sleepy kitten and shed a few more tears of despair before climbing into bed and trying to sleep. 

When Severus came in some ten minutes later, he found her sleeping soundly, Magik curled upon her chest, purring loudly.  He carefully cast a Warmth Charm over the bed before tucking the blanket more securely about her.  "Pleasant dreams, my little one." He bent and kissed her on the forehead and then departed. 

Harry was still awake, reading up on Quidditch moves, though he set the book down when Severus came in.  "Is it time for bed already?"

"Yes, son.  But first I would like to ask you to do me a favor." Severus began, sitting down on the edge of Harry's bed.

"What, Dad?"

"See if you can find out what's been bothering your sister.  I tried and she refused to tell me and grew upset.  Perhaps she might feel more comfortable talking to you, who is close to her own age."

"All right.  I can do that," Harry agreed.

"Good.  Now, put the book down and get under the covers, it's chilly tonight," Severus ordered, turning down the sheet and blanket.

Harry rolled his eyes.  "I'm not five, Dad." He huffed, pretending to be insulted, but then he crawled into bed and allowed Severus to tuck him in.  He hid a smile when Severus cast a Warming charm over the bed, making sure he was nice and toasty. "Night, Dad."

"Good night, Harry." Severus ruffled his son's hair before he Noxed the lamp.

 

 

Mindful of his promise, Harry woke the next morning determined to speak with his sister about whatever was wrong with her.  He knocked his book off his night table when he went to grab his glasses, and as he knelt to pick it up, he discovered another strange parchment note.

Some big brother you are! Dark influences are gathering around your little sister and you don't even know it.  Are you a complete idiot? Your incompetence is going to get her and everyone you love killed, and then you'll have no one to blame except yourself.

After reading the scathing letter, the ink vanished and so did the parchment, but it left a sickening sense of failure and disappointment in its wake.  Harry shook his head, not knowing why the notes caused him to feel so . . .useless, but knowing deep down that if he didn't  keep an eye on Holly, something bad was going to happen.     

And he refused to be the failure the notes accused him of being.  He was a Snape, after all.  He dressed quickly in a pair of jeans, a long-sleeved rugby shirt and a pullover, since it was cold down here, and most likely outside as well, since March in the Highlands near Inverness was still winter.  Severus had gone to class already, so Harry summoned Twylla and asked her to send up breakfast for two.  Then he went to go wake up his sister.

He found her asleep on her side, her face peaceful in repose, except for the lone tear that had fallen down her cheek.  He leaned over to shake her awake and froze upon seeing that blatant sign of distress.  Huh? She's crying in her sleep? Not good.  Not good at all.  Dad was right, there really is something major up with her.  But why won't she tell him? Or Sue? It's not like they're gonna laugh at her.

He felt a sudden overwhelming surge of protectiveness.  Perhaps she would confide in her older brother instead.  At least he hoped so.  He called, "Hey, Holly.  Time to wake up."

She whimpered, stirred, and then she opened her eyes.  "Huh? Harry?"

"That's my name.  C'mon, Holl, rise and shine. I've got breakfast waiting."

She sniffed.  "Uh . . .I'm not very hungry this morning."

"Just eat a little, okay? You know Dad's rule."

She made a face at him, and recited, in a dead-on imitation of Severus, "Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, it helps your body wake up and gives you the necessary energy for higher brain function."

Harry cracked up.  "Good one, Holly!"

"I try."

"Okay, now try getting out of bed and coming into the kitchen."

"All right, Mr. Bossy." She reluctantly threw off her covers and sat up.  "You mind giving me some privacy?"

"Sure," he felt himself go red, then hastily exited the room.  As he shut the door, he could hear her giggling mischievously.  Little brat, she just loves to embarrass me!

Holly joined him some five minutes later, wearing jeans and a blue sweatshirt with pink lettering that said Chicks Rule!  On the coffee table were French toast, bacon, ham, eggs, and crumpets with strawberry jam.  Plus a pot of steaming hot cocoa.  Holly took a crumpet with jam and butter and nibbled it, while Harry fixed a plate with everything on it and devoured it.

Halfway through his mug of cocoa, Harry paused and asked casually, "You have a nightmare or something last night?"

Holly jerked her head up, for she had been dreaming about the notes last night.  "No . . .not really.  Why?"

"'Cause when I went to wake you up, it looked like you were . . .err . . .crying in your sleep."

"It did?"

"Yeah.  Are you okay, Holl?"

"Yes.  I'm fine."

Harry gave her a sharp look.  "Well, you're not acting fine.  You're all quiet and . . .you hardly ever smile any more.  Is there anything going on with, uh, older kids here?"

"Going on? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, is anyone saying things to you or picking on you? You can tell me if they are and I'll take care of it.  Or Dad will."

She bit her lip and began eating again, not saying anything.  But he could tell by the set of her shoulders that she was upset.

"Holl, you can tell me.  I'm your brother," he encouraged.

"It's not like that, Harry."

"Then what is it?"

"I . . .can' t tell you."

"Can't or won't?"

"Can't."

He sighed.  Well, he had tried.  It wasn't his fault she was being so stubborn.  Or whatever.  But she looked miserable, he thought with a flash of pity.  He tried to think of something to cheer her up.  "You want to spend some time with the unicorns? Just us for a little?"

Holly considered.  She felt depressed and not being able to speak about what was depressing her made her feel sick.  There had been another note awaiting her when she went to get dressed this morning, and this one hinted that she was nothing but a troublesome burden upon Severus and Harry and it might have been better if she had chosen to die in the snow that winter's night.

That had upset her so much she had almost started crying right then, but had managed to clamp down on her emotions just in time, not wanting Harry to think she was a crybaby.  Or crazy. 

"All right.  I'd like to brush the foals again."

"Good, let's go after we're done eating."

* * * * *

Running the soft body brush over Rose's coat, which sparkled as the winter sun hit it at a certain angle, relaxed Holly just as good as a session with Healer Keegan.  The little foal was sweet and liked to nibble playfully at her hair, the silly antics made Holly smile.  She smelled like spring flowers and the scent made Holly's stomach start to unclench. 

Holly continued to brush the sleek coat, humming softly and scratching the filly behind the ears.  Rose nudged her, and Holly hugged the little head close and whispered, "Silly filly, I don't know why you like me so much.  I'm just a Squib reject."

Rose exhaled softly and nuzzled her again.  Holly smiled and finished brushing her.  Across the corral, Harry was grooming Duchess, patiently untangling the silken mane.  Holly stared at him for a minute, wishing for an instant that she was like her older brother, whom nothing ever seemed to bother, who had the magic fate had denied her. 

Suddenly, she felt a nudge on her shoulder, and she turned to find Dancer regarding her with one blue eye.  "All right, your turn, my lady," she said, and picked up a currycomb and started to brush the mare. 

A peaceful aura radiated from Dancer, and it wrapped the troubled girl in a soothing spiritual embrace.  Holly leaned into the unicorn's shoulder, breathing in Dancer's sweet refreshing scent, like mint and lavender, and wept into the ivory mane.  Dancer whickered and nuzzled, not liking the aura of sadness and depression the girl was giving off. 

The mare projected strong feelings of hope and love at the girl, and some of the awful aura faded.  Holly quickly wiped her eyes on her sleeve then resumed her grooming.  "Thanks," she whispered.

Harry too, was receiving similar treatment from Duchess, who also sensed an odd darkling stench clinging to the boy.  She blew softly and gently tapped her horn against Harry, removing a portion of the dark aura, though she did not have the time to do a full cleansing upon the young wizard. 

As soon as Duchess's horn tapped his cheek, he felt at peace, the feelings of insecurity and doubt banished.  He stroked the unicorn's coat, smiling at the way it felt beneath his hand, warm and sleek and brilliantly alive. He leaned his cheek against the velvet hide for a moment, feeling better than he had in over a week.

When they at last took their leave of the unicorns, after putting all the grooming items back in the box on Hagrid's porch, both of them felt a whole lot better.  They found Draco rubbing his eyes and yawning at the door to their quarters. 

"Hey, where were you two?  Thought you'd still be in bed since your dad's not home to make you wake up."

"I would, but my big brother here insisted I get up early," Holly complained, sticking her tongue out at Harry.

"So hex me," Harry grinned.  "We were grooming the unicorns.  They like to get groomed early."

"Oh.  All right." Draco didn't mind grooming the unicorns, but he wasn't about to get up early to do it.  "Let's do something different today, shall we?"

"Like what?" Harry asked. 

"Uh, can we go inside? I don't like talking about things in the middle of the corridor where anyone can hear," Draco said.

"Oh.  All right." Harry waved a hand and muttered the password to unlock the door.

There was a click and then he pushed open the door and they entered the Potion Master's suite. 

After taking a seat on the couch and fetching some cold pumpkin juice from the pantry for himself and the other two kids, Harry looked at Draco expectantly.  "So . . .what's your great idea?"

"Well . . .I've been thinking. . . Holly, you have the Sight . . .so what if we had a little  Divination session?  You could, I don't know, try and see our future or something."  He looked at Holly.  "Well, how about it?"

"Draco . . .I don't really know how to control my Sight," she began, uncertainly.  Then the taunting words of the note began whispering through her head.  Useless . . .worthless . . .Squib . . . "I haven't really tried to use my gift since . . .that night, before Harry and Severus found me.  But . . .maybe I could try."

Draco grinned and clapped her on the back encouragingly.  "Okay.  What do you have to do?"

"Look into fire," she answered.

"That's it?"

"Yes.  That's how my Sight works.  I look into fire and sometimes I see visions."

"All right.  Let's do it then," Draco waved his practice wand and intoned firmly, "Incendio!" while pointing the wand at the fireplace. 

The fire blazed up in the hearth.

The boys watched as Holly knelt in front of the hearth, eyes closed, trying to connect with the inner core of her power, trying to call upon her mercurial gift.  A minute passed.  Then two.  She felt something stir deep inside her, and then she opened her eyes and gazed into the heart of the fire.

At first all she saw was the blue tendrils that flickered in the center of the flames.  The fire danced and spun, the heat calling to her.  She opened her eyes wide and suddenly felt a familiar pain in her head.  She gasped.

"What is it? Do you See my future?" Draco asked.

She stiffened, feeling her eyes water and then she focused upon the fire, burning merrily . . .

Harry, Draco, and she ran through the dark oaks of the Forbidden Forest, terror nipping at their heels as something wild and evil followed them, pursuing them through the trees despite their attempts to run. 

She ran desperately, terror seizing her limbs, her breath coming in harsh pants. 

"Hurry, Holly!" cried Harry, grabbing her arm and dragging her along when she stumbled. 

Behind she could feel something gathering, a dark pulsing aura, and then came the drumming of ghostly hooves and the forlorn cries of a pack of hounds. 

"Run, Holly!" shouted Draco, his face ghost-pale beneath his white-blond thatch.  "They're getting closer!" He pushed her hard in the back. 

"Harry . . .the hounds, they're coming!  Do you hear them?"

Harry nodded, casting a glance over his shoulder.

Some twenty feet beyond came the advance of the hunt, large white dogs with glowing reddish eyes and red ears the color of blood.  An eerie evil bay emerged from their throat, filled with hunger and the desire to rend and tear. 

The three ran on, but it soon became plain that the dogs would have them, for they were tiring, and the hunt was fast overtaking them.  Her breath rasped in her throat, her chest burned like fire, she ran harder than she had ever run in her life, Harry beside her and Draco a few steps behind.

The huntsmen, astride spectral steeds with glowing eyes and skeletal legs, burst into view, and each of them bore a rider whose face was a mask of grim death come to life.  And leading the pack, on a great gray steed, was a huge man with a stag's antlers . . .He had  a long bow in his hands and he drew back the string and loosed an arrow . . .it flew true, as did the others, and she and her brothers fell, victims to the fury of the spectral hunt . . .

"Holly? Holly!" shouted Harry, going and shaking her shoulder.  The girl had gasped, screamed, then jerked hard before settling back into her kneeling pose.   "Are you okay?"

"Did you See anything?" Draco asked. 

Holly did not answer.  Instead she fastened her gaze back upon the fire.  No! I can't let that be the only future I See! It can't end that way! It can't!

Once again, pain tore through her head like a lash, and the fire was replaced by another vision . . .

This time, she alone was the hunt's quarry, and she could feel the hounds' hot breath on the back of her neck as she raced through the trees.  She knew even then that it was too late, she could not outrun the hunt, that soon she would tire and then they would have her, but at least it was better than the alternative.

Her brothers were not with her, though she knew they were nearby.  They called for her, but she kept running.  It was better to be the sacrifice.  Perhaps this was what had been intended, all those months ago, this was why she had been spared a freezing death . . .

Abruptly, she turned and faced her pursuers, glaring up at the great horned leader and the snarling savage dogs defiantly.  "Come on then! Come and get me!" she cried, her voice a faint whisper of defiance.

The horned huntsmen drew rein in front of her, studying her with cold emerald eyes, and then he threw back his head and laughed mockingly . . .

Holly groaned, coming out of the trance, and she shivered.  Once again she had Seen two possible futures.  Once again she had been given a choice. 

"Holly? What did you See?" Draco asked again, peering at her worriedly. 

"I . . .I don't want to talk about it," she muttered, feeling exhaustion sweep through her.

"Why? It can't be that bad," Draco persuaded.  "Unless . . .you didn't see my father coming back for me, did you?" There was a note of panic in his voice.

"No.  I Saw . . ." I saw us being hunted and killed by some ghostly hunt, she thought, suppressing a shiver.  "It doesn't matter, because it's not going to happen."

"How do you know?"

"I just do," she sighed wearily. 

"Then why can't you tell us what you Saw?" Draco demanded exasperatedly.

"Because I don't want to bloody talk about it!" she yelled, jumping to her feet.  "Just leave me alone, okay?" She spun and headed towards her bedroom.

"Holl, where are you going?" Harry asked.

"To bed.  I'm tired." She slammed the door to her room shut and locked it.

Behind her she could hear Harry and Draco quarreling.

"Nice going, Malfoy!" said Harry angrily.  "You couldn't leave well enough alone."

"Me? Don't blame me for this, Snape! I just wanted to do something fun, all right? How did I know what she'd See? Matter of fact, I still don't know what it was."

"Who cares? You've made her upset, you dumb git!"

"Who are you calling a git, Snape?" growled Draco.

"You.  Now maybe you'd better leave."

"Why should I?"

"Because otherwise I'm going to knock your teeth in," Harry answered.

"Ha! As if!" laughed the other. 

"Just go home, Malfoy! You and your bloody stupid ideas."

"Fine! Who needs you?"

The door to the suite slammed.

Next thing she heard was Harry knocking on her door.

"Holly? You okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

"No.  Now go away, Harry.  Please."

She waited until she heard his footsteps retreat, then she turned and hugged Magik to her, startling the kitten awake.  "Shhh.  Just let me hold you." She hugged the small animal to her, burying her face in the kitten's black and white fur and rocking back and forth.  She could feel tears behind her eyelids, but she did not let them fall.  This was too deep for tears.

March 15th.  The Ides of March.

That date popped into her head then.  She knew what it meant.  On that day she would fulfill the vision.

She lay back down, cradling the kitten close to her, the vision flickering before her eyes.  She knew she could tell no one.  Some secrets were meant to be kept.  And she knew this one would not have to be kept long.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, do you think Holly Saw true?

Next: The return of one awful evil villian. Hint--he's winning the poll.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754