Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102163 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
What Is Loved by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Severus attempts to heal Silver.

"You can save him, right, Dad?" Harry cried, struggling to keep from bursting into tears. "He can't die . . .he saved us from the demon dogs that would've killed us!"

Severus cast a quick diagnostic, shaking his head sadly. "Harry, I just don't know. Those dogs, they had some kind of venom in their saliva . . .I don't know if my potions can counteract it . . ." It was that and not only the blood loss that was causing the big wolf to go into shock and his heart to beat erratically.

Severus began to summon his strongest antidote, but before he could administer it, a soft white nose nudged him firmly away. "What in Merlin's name . . .?"

Dancer stood next to him, her head lowered. Understanding, the Potions Master moved away, allowing the unicorn to tap the dying wolf three times with her horn.

A silver radiance spread from the horn and enveloped the wolf.

When it faded, the wounds in his chest and side were nearly closed, and he was breathing normally. The mare whuffed gently in the wolf's ear before stepping gracefully backwards.

"A unicorn's horn is proof against poisons, especially those of the undead," Severus muttered, his dark eyes alight with joy. "Thank you, lady." He bowed to her.

Dancer dipped her head once in acknowledgment.

"Silver, you're not completely healed, but the poison is removed from you, and I can complete the process with potions," Severus said, returning the phoenix tear antidote to his potions storeroom and summoning a Blood Replenisher, a Pain Reliever, and Wound Repair Salve.

He poured the first two in two small bowls that he also summoned for Silver to lap, and then rolled up his sleeves and began applying the salve to all the myriad scratches and lacerations that had not been healed by the unicorn's horn.

Silver grimaced at the taste of the potions, but valiantly drank, remaining still as a statue while Snape rubbed the salve on, even allowing the wizard to lift up his paws and rub some on his cracked and bleeding paw pads.

"You nearly ran the skin off your paws, you silly wolf," scolded Snape.

Silver lifted his head from the bowl and gave the other a look. Well, what did you expect me to do, let them kill the children?

"Never mind, Remus," sighed the Potions Master. "You only did what you do best, protect those who cannot protect themselves. Thank you."

Silver barked, clearly delighted at having gotten a thank you from Severus Snape at last. Then he deliberately nuzzled the Potions Master and licked his face.

"Ugh! Wolf, your breath . . .it could knock out a giant!" gasped Snape. "No more liver for you!"

Silver merely grinned and wagged his tail gently.

"Overgrown mutt!" grumbled Snape, but he was smiling slightly.

The children laughed, and Severus banished everything back to his lab and stood up, dusting off his robes. "He's going to be fine."

Holly and Harry cheered, and so did Draco. They all rushed over to hug and pet the gallant wolf.

Narcissa flashed Severus a grin. "I guess it's true, what they say. What's loved, lives."

"Indeed," Severus agreed.

From far away, they heard the strains of a hunting horn sounding the notes of return and the triumphant baying of a pack of hounds. Severus and Narcissa exchanged knowing glances. The Wild Hunt had caught their quarry.

"Come, children, it's time we were going home," Severus called.

Draco came first, mounting easily behind Narcissa.

Harry drew away next, and Severus placed him on Dancer's back.

Holly withdrew from Silver and walked over to him, her sapphire eyes misty. "Thanks for coming for me. I wasn't expecting you to find me, since I'm not supposed to be here in the first place and maybe you wouldn't want to either because I broke your number one rule and you were ashamed of having a disobedient daughter." Two tears made their way slowly down her face.

Severus was shocked. The little girl's frank declaration and her tears nearly broke his heart. He knelt down so he could look into her eyes. "Holly, I will always come for you, do you not know that? You are my life, just like Harry. And I . . .am proud to be your father, Holly Amanda Sinclair. You are more than worthy of being loved, child, even if you did break my number one rule and enter the Forbidden Forest." Then he caught her up in a hug so tight that she gasped. "I love you, little one."

Holly buried her head in his neck, then she said, very quietly, "I love you too, Dad."

Severus could not contain his smile then. She had called him dad, and with that single word had put the specter of Lucius behind her forever, replacing him with a father of her choosing. He carried his daughter to the unicorn and set her behind her brother, then mounted after them. "Dear Merlin, I hope the mare can carry us all," he muttered under his breath.

But Dancer had no trouble navigating the forest with the three Snapes upon her back, and soon they arrived back at Hogwarts, just in time for a late supper with Albus and Mr. Filch in the Headmaster's private quarters, where they told him everything that had happened since Severus and Narcissa had left his office that afternoon.

Both men were suitably impressed by Herne the Hunter and his blood tie to Holly through her mother. "She has an almost royal bloodline, with the Sinclair and the Malfoy lines," Albus mused thoughtfully.

"Ha! There's one in the eye for all those who think a Squib ain't nothing save trash," Filch said, looking pleased as punch.

Dumbledore looked saddened when Draco told them of Cross, and his demise at the hands of Throckmorton and Lucius, used as a sacrifice to summon the Wild Hunt. "I had hoped, even after we had banished him, that he might yet turn to the right path, but alas, he continued down the dark road and in the end it cost him his life. I do not know how I shall break the news to his father, as there is no body left to bury. Poor Shelby! And poor Benjamin, it is the worst thing in the world to lose a child." He pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed his eyes, for any loss of a youngster reminded him sharply of the loss of his own two children, though they had died thirty-five years ago.

By the time they had told the whole tale, the children were half-asleep in their chocolate trifle, and Severus had to nudge Harry awake and Holly too. "Wake up. It's past your bedtime, you two."

Harry yawned, rubbing his eyes. "Dad, are we in trouble for . . .this . . .uh . . . adventure?"

Severus blinked. "We'll discuss that tomorrow, son. Right now I'm too happy to have you both safe and sound to issue any kind of punishment. All's well that ends well." He ruffled Harry's messy hair and hugged the boy. Then he scooped up Holly, who had somehow fallen asleep again, and turned to leave. "Good night, Albus. I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast."

"I look forward to it." Albus said, and the twinkle was back in his eyes. "Well done, my son."

Severus' eyes widened in astonishment, as did Narcissa's. He had long suspected the Headmaster regarded him as a surrogate son, but this was the first time Albus had ever come right out and acknowledged it. "Thank you . . .Father." he managed to say at last. Then he whirled about and practically bolted out the door, followed by a grinning Harry.

Narcissa quickly departed with a sleepy Draco, too astonished for words.

Behind him, Albus chuckled, stroking his beard. "Well, at least he can say it now, eh, Fawkes?" The old wizard said to his familiar. "Took him twenty years to finally say what he felt, but it was worth the wait. I wonder if he'll manage a hug next time, or will I have to wait another twenty years?"

Fawkes trilled lightly, and Albus shook a finger at the bird. "Are you making fun of me, bird? You were the one who made me see that Severus was a good surrogate son all those years ago . . .one time you were right in your several lifetimes . . .At least now I have the grandchildren fate denied me the first time around . . ."

The End.
End Notes:
Okay . . .Silver LIVES! Did you like the way he was saved?

But this isn't over yet! There are some more chapters to go still.

Next: Traumatized over the events in the forest, the kids suffer dreadful nightmares, making Severus resort to getting them group therapy with Healer Sue . . .who then insists HE have some too! Can she convince the stubborn professor to take her advice? Yes or no?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754