Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102168 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
An Almost Perfect Family by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Susan delivers her baby and Holly explains to a puzzled Billy how she became part of an almost perfect family.

They both came through the green flames together, Susan huffing and puffing as she tried to do meditative breathing. "Hello, Poppy. Looks like my kid couldn't wait another week. Must be a bookworm like Sev here, wanted to get born in a school, surrounded by books and parchment. Either that or he or she's gonna be a professor someday."

Poppy chuckled, then ran a diagnostic on her. "Oh yes, it's the real thing, all right. Severus, don't go anywhere!" she snapped upon seeing her colleague getting ready to depart.

"Why do you need me here?" he asked warily.

"To help her walk about and time the contractions and so forth."

"Sev, don't leave, please."

He looked down at her sweat-sheened face, and the eyes that were both scared and excited and said, "Very well. I'll stay." If he could face torture and murder from the Death Eaters without falling to pieces, he could surely face a baby getting born.

Until Susan grabbed his hand so hard he feared all his fingers were ground to powder. On second thought, an evening with the Death Eaters seemed rather inviting.

"You're doing fine, dear. Now let Severus help you walk around a bit, that will help this part go faster," Poppy urged.

"Good, that's just what I wanted to hear," she gasped. "C'mon, Snape! Let's jog around the infirmary, or crawl, or whatever."

She leaned heavily on his arm and he gently assisted her as they walked back and forth and around the Hospital Wing.

"I can't believe this," Severus coughed, wincing as she squeezed his hand again. "It's a good thing you didn't leave before you started having pains."

"Right. Too bad Billy has to be away. No, wait, can you call him, Severus? My house has a phone, his work number's right next to it, you can Floo there. Maybe he can come here, I want him to see his firstborn get born."

"Yes, just let's get you over to the bed. All right. Now I can call Billy."

* * * * * *

Some ten minutes later a rather harried-looking William Gabriel Keegan showed up, his dark hair sticking up, his business suit all rumpled. "Severus, how come she's in labor now? The baby isn't due for a week!"

"Babies come in their own time, Mr. Keegan," Poppy informed him, casting another diagnostic.

"Should I take her to a hospital?" he asked Severus.

"No need, Bill. She's fine right here."

"Sue? Are you okay with that?"

"Hi, love. Yes, I'm fine. I'm glad you made it." She smiled at her husband.

"Me too. Wouldn't miss it." Then he began to coach her on breathing techniques while Severus summoned a pain potion.

The potion helped somewhat, though she could still feel the contractions, it took the edge off. "Don't faint on me, Severus," she ordered, looking at the Potions Master, who was paler than normal.

"Like hell, I've seen worse," he said indignantly.

"How are you feeling, Sev?" she queried, wincing as another pain hit.

"How am I feeling? I ought to be asking you that, Sue."

"Nuh-uh, Snape. I asked first."

"All right, Keegan, you're in labor, I'll humor you. I feel bloody wonderful. How about you?" he said sarcastically.

"Right back at ya . . .smartass," she said, a half-smile on her face.

Poppy looked from the potions professor to the Mind Healer and back again, then she turned to Bill, who was standing on his wife's other side and asked, "Is she always like this? I mean, most women in labor are cursing or screaming, not cracking jokes with their uh . . .best friend."

"Sometimes she's worse," both men said at the same time.

The woman in question glared daggers at them and promptly told them to shut up and give her their hands so she could squish them to a pulp for that comment. Both of them apologized, then they allowed her to grip their hands, figuring she would go easy on them.

But then the next contraction hit and she crushed both sets of fingers, making her friend and her husband vow that this was the last time they were going to go through this.

"How much longer, Poppy?" Sue groaned.

"Oh, you're doing fine, sweetie. Progressing nicely. I'd say, another hour or two and that'll do it."

"Let's go for the hour, shall we?" said the mother, gritting her teeth.

Severus agreed wholeheartedly, hoping he'd still have a hand left by that time.

* * * * * *

One hour later a piercing wail was heard in the Hospital Wing, as the Keegan's baby took her first breath.

"Well, Sue and Billy, looks like you have a fine baby girl." Madam Ponfrey announced, as she picked up the baby and wrapped the wailing mite in a soft blanket. "Congratulations!"

Susan reached out and took the baby, weeping unashamedly as she looked upon the tiny miracle.

Severus too was a bit misty eyed, and he patted the therapist on the shoulder and said mischievously, "It's all right to cry, Sue."

The little Healer burst out laughing then. "Severus Snape, you are something else!"

"I'll say," agreed Billy, also laughing.

"So . . .what are you going to call the newest Keegan?" asked a curious Potions Master.

The new parents put their heads together and then after a hasty conference lasting about five minutes, they drew away, and Susan answered, "Her name is Kaeleene Grace and by the way, we'd like you to stand as godfather, Sev."

"You would?" Severus was both startled and pleased, for being a godfather to a wizarding baby was of great significance. "I . . .I'm honored. I will be pleased to be godfather to Kaeleene."

Then the baby looked up at him and laughed.

And Professor Snape, terror of the dungeons, smiled. "She has the same laugh as Susan."

"Of course! That's my baby, after all," the Healer grinned, kissing the baby and cooing at her.

Just then Dumbledore entered the infirmary, followed by Draco, Harry, and Holly, as well as Narcissa.

"Hey, Dad, where were you?" asked Harry. "We came back for our tutoring class and you weren't there."

"We were worried something happened," Holly added. "So we went to Grandpa Albus's office and he used a cool map and said you were here with Healer Sue."

"Who has just acquired a wonderful little surprise," said Narcissa, coming over to smile down at the baby and her proud and exhausted mother. "A bit early, but that's often better than being a week late. Draco was almost right on time, thank Merlin, and not too large either. Seven pounds, five ounces."

"That's bigger than mine. She is seven pounds even, and I'm very grateful."

"Oh believe me, I know the feeling!" Narcissa sympathized. "I was six hours with my dragonet, even with magic to speed it along."

"This one took three or four, all told."

Narcissa sighed. "Lucky, and this is your first. Some women take ten or fifteen hours with their firsts."

Susan shook her head. "No thank you! Not me! I'd make the Healer summon mine out of me. Either that or knock me out."

"Me too. Men! They have the easy job."

"Don't worry. I'll have my revenge on him yet." Sue said gleefully. "He promised he'd take all the midnight and early morning feedings for two months."

"I did?" her husband frowned. "When did I say that?"

"Last week. You said after the baby was born you'd do whatever I wanted, dear."

"Thanks a lot, hon. I love you too," her husband groaned.

"Keep complaining, sweet William and I'll up it to three months," his loving wife told him.

Billy looked at Severus. "Sev, don't ever get married. Stay single, you'll escape the guilt trip and the puppy dog eyes they throw at you to make you their willing slave."

Severus smirked. "I'll take it under advisement, Bill."

"William Keegan! I am not that bad!"

Billy said nothing.

"May we see the baby, Healer Sue?" asked Holly shyly.

"Of course, sweetie. Kaeleene's with Albus," she indicated the Headmaster, who had taken the baby from the bassinet next to her bed and was holding her and making all kinds of ridiculous faces at the infant.

"I do believe, little one, you are the first baby born at Hogwarts ever. How very marvelous!"

The baby gurgled at him, dark blue eyes blinking up at him in fascination.

"May I hold her, Grandpa Al?" asked Holly.

"Of course, my girl. Have you ever held a baby before?"

"Uh, no. Just kittens and puppies."

Albus laughed. "A baby's a little different, Holly." He showed her how to hold the newborn, cradling Kaeleene in her arm, one hand supporting the baby's bottom.

"Oh! She's so beautiful!" She walked very slowly over to her two brothers, who were hanging back, looking uncomfortable. "Harry, Draco, look! Isn't Kaeleene perfect?"

The two boys duly admired the baby, though Harry thought the baby was kind of wrinkled and scrunched looking, and Draco thought she resembled a young mandrake and was not cute at all.

"Want to hold her, Draco?"

Draco gaped at her. "What? No!" he backed away as if his sister had asked him to hold a fireball.

"Why not? She's not as delicate as she looks. What are you afraid of, silly?"

"I'm not afraid, Holly, for Merlin's sake!" Draco sputtered indignantly. "It's just . . . I'm not a girl, you know. Girls hold babies, not boys." He cast a desperate glance over at Harry. "Right, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "Uh, yeah, whatever."

"But that's ridiculous, Draco! Grandpa Al was just holding her and he didn't seem to mind it. And Dad did too, right, Dad?"

"Yes, Holly." Severus answered, for he had held the baby for a bit while Poppy summoned a bassinet. "How did you know that?"

"Saw it just before I came in here," his visionary daughter admitted. "Well, Draco?"

"That's different! He's a grown man!" Draco cried, staring at the baby as if she were something poisonous.

"What a brilliant observation, Draco," drawled Severus, highly amused by the two.

"It's true!" the boy cried, flushing. He continued to back away, and the adults watching began to snicker.

"Boys! You're all impossible!" declared Holly, then she turned around and offered the baby to Harry. "You're not afraid to hold Kaeleene, are you?"

Harry, on the verge of refusing, now froze, for he didn't want to be labeled a scaredycat, especially not over a baby. "Uh, no, but . . .I'm no good with them, Holl. Really, I don't think it'd be a good idea. I might . . .uh . . .drop her."

"Oh, you will not, Harry James Snape!" his sister rolled her eyes. "Here, hold out your arms, please."

Harry obeyed, for his sister was looking at him with that daredevil look in her eye, and he was her big brother and he'd be boiled in oil before he would ever look like a coward in front of her. The next thing he knew, he was cradling the baby and thinking that it was actually weird . . .but nice too, holding the little thing. He gave the baby a tentative smile.

"Traitor!" Draco returned and hissed in his ear. "I ought to kick you out of the Young Wizard's Club, Snape."

"What for? All I'm doing is holding a baby, Draco. It's not like I kissed a girl or any of that gross mushy stuff," protested Harry. "It was a matter of honor."

"All right. But next time someone asks you to hold a kid or, Merlin forbid . . . babysit one . . .tell them no! Or else your reputation as a kick-arse kid will be ruined forever."

"Okay." Personally, Harry didn't see why holding a baby was going to ruin his manly wizard reputation, but Draco was older and knew more about the Young Wizard's Club, having been a member of it since he was nine. "Hey, Draco. Since you're not afraid, and I've already held her, why don't you give it a try?"

Draco looked like he wanted to run from the room. But Harry was giving him the Eye-that challenging look-and his pride wouldn't let him walk away. "Fine, Snape. But just this once, mind!" He gingerly took the baby from Harry. "I can't believe I'm doing this. If Gregory and Vince ever knew . . ." Then he looked down into the baby's innocent blue eyes and he started to grin, unable to help himself. "Y'know, kid, you aren't all that bad, I mean, you look like a mandrake, but guess you can't all look as good as I do, right?" he murmured, and the baby smiled and gurgled.

"Aww, Draco, you look so sweet with her in your arms," Narcissa remarked, taking great delight in teasing her usually too-dignified son.

Draco went red. "Mother, please! I'm a boy . . .and boys aren't sweet! Merlin help me!" He looked pleadingly at his sister. "Holly, take the baby, for Gaia's sake."

His sister did, then she smiled at him sweetly. "You looked so cute with Kaeleene, big brother. And we got it all on camera!" She waved an Insta-Magic camera at him. "Grandpa Al took your picture while you weren't looking!"

"Argghh!" Draco howled. "Somebody hex me right now!"

"Why? It's not like I'll ever show anybody," Holly said, smirking. "Not unless you really get me mad, that is." She carried the baby carefully back over to the bassinet and put Kaeleene in it.

The adults stifled grins and laughter behind their hands.

"Looks like you've got your hands full, Sev," remarked Billy sympathetically.

"Oh, he manages just fine, Billy," Albus said. "He knows just what not to do, right Severus?"

"Yes, Father. I know better than to give them too much sugar before bedtime," Severus shot back.

"I'm their grandfather, Severus, I'm supposed to do that," Albus pointed out with a rueful laugh.

"You reap what you sow then," Severus said, a wicked smirk on his face. "Seriously though, I wouldn't be half the parent I am if I didn't have your example and Susan to ask advice from. I owe you both."

"Anytime, dear boy. We might have a very unconventional family, but I think it's the best kind," Albus declared.

"Well, children? Do you agree?"

"Yes, Dad," said Harry and Holly in one breath.

"Yes, Uncle Sev," Draco replied, he had taken to calling Severus that after the Hunt incident, it felt more personable than professor, and Severus deserved it after nearly sacrificing himself for Holly. "Our family might be odd by most people's lights, with Squibs and half-bloods and wolves, but I wouldn't trade it for a normal one."

"Neither would I, son," Narcissa agreed, giving Draco a look of approval. Being around Severus, Harry, Albus, and even Holly had really influenced him and now she had no fear he would ever become a mini clone of Lucius.

"We're almost perfect ," Holly said, hugging Severus. "Right, Dad?"

"Exactly, Holly Amanda Snape." He put an arm around her and Harry. "And that's just the way I like it."

Outside, they heard a certain silver wolf howl in agreement.

"Your vote's noted, Lupin," Severus muttered, and concealed a smile.

"Uh, how many people are in your family, if you don't mind my asking?" Billy queried.

"Can I tell him, Dad?" Holly asked.

"Go ahead."

"Umm . . .okay, well there's Dad, and Harry and me and Draco, who's really my half-brother, and that makes him Harry's brother too, and Narcissa's really Draco's Mum, but she said we could think of her as ours too, even though she's not married to Dad. Got all that, so far?" When Billy nodded, she continued. "Then there's Silver, he's our wolf brother 'cause he's so smart and saved us all a bunch of times, and our pets Magik and Sepphy, my kitten and Dad's owl. Grandpa Al is our grandfather, since he kind of adopted Dad, and we made Uncle Argus our honorary uncle, so he wouldn't feel left out 'cause he doesn't have a real family anymore. And that's it for right now."

"My head's spinning," Billy admitted.

"That's okay. Lots of people don't get all the connections," Holly said sagely. "But here's the thing that makes us a real family, even if we're not all blood related . . . we all love each other. That's what makes us an almost perfect family, see?"

"Why almost perfect?"

"Because the best things in life are never perfect, 'cause perfect's only in heaven," Holly answered.

"I see. You've got a very intelligent daughter there, Sev. Knows more at nine than I do at thirty-three," Billy laughed. "Must take after her old man."

"I do," Holly said happily, leaning against Severus, and for the first time since her mother's death she was completely at peace. Hope you're watching from heaven, Mum, because your snow girl's come home at last.

The End.
End Notes:
The Young Wizard's Club that Draco & Harry refer to is similar to the He-Man Woman Hater's Club on THE LITTLE RASCALS, for anyone who used to watch the TV show or the movie, except they don't really hate girls. I was watching the movie last night (one of my faves) and I thought it'd be funny to make a wizard club like that since both boys are the same age as most of the kids in the Little Rascals.

Don't go away, the story's not quite over yet, I still have the epilogue to come!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754