Snow Girl & the Sorcerer's Son by Snapegirl
Summary: When 10-year-old Harry goes on an early morning shopping trip for Severus’s birthday present, he discovers a girl half-frozen in the snow in Diagon Alley. Little does he know that his encounter with the snow girl will change his family forever, for she harbors a secret past and a singular gift that could bring an enemy down upon them all unknowing. Tale partially based on “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Anderson.

Sequel to A Wolf in Winter, part of the Snowy Encounters series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, Original Character, Other, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Snowy Encounters
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 139997 Read: 102175 Published: 28 Dec 2008 Updated: 20 Mar 2009
Heartless by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Headlines in the Daily Prophet lead Lucius to the Snape residence searching for Holly for a wicked purpose.

The next morning, Harry woke up and padded sleepily into the kitchen just in time to see Severus's owl, Persephone, tapping at the window with the morning edition of the Daily Prophet.  Harry swiftly unlatched the window and let the owl inside, she had a coating of snow on her gray barred wings, she was a rare species known as a Northern Gray Forest owl. 

The owl perched lightly on his shoulder and whoo-ed quietly, sticking out her leg imperiously for Harry to remove the paper tied to it.  "Thanks, Sepphy," he said, removing the paper and giving the owl a light scratch upon the breast.  "Sepphy" was what he used to call the owl when he was little and couldn't pronounce Persephone, and the nickname had stuck. 

Once the post was delivered, Persephone flew straight to her perch in the corner of the kitchen near the stove and began to preen her feathers free of snow and drink the water and the food Severus always left out for her.  Unlike her arctic cousin, the snowy owl, Persephone didn't care much for snow, though she would fly in it if she had to.

Harry gave the owl one last affectionate caress before putting on water for tea and toast in the toaster.  He could hear the shower running and knew that soon his father would be coming in to make breakfast, he could cook better than Harry, though he insisted his son learn basic cooking skills.

Harry peeked into the den, which was off the kitchen on the righthand side, and saw that Holly was still sleeping, curled up in a small ball underneath the rosebud-printed comforter.  That didn't surprise Harry, she must feel like she was in heaven, sleeping warm in a real bed again. 

He couldn't imagine living the way she had for weeks, going from a roof over her head to sleeping on the ground in some cold damp alley or whatever.  He had been lucky, he supposed, because even the Dursleys, who favored Dudley pointedly over Harry when he had lived with them for a year, had never thrown him out in the snow to die. 

He ducked back into the kitchen, hearing the toast pop up, and quickly slathered two slices with butter and strawberry jam, then settled down to eat them, unrolling the paper and scanning it for anything interesting.

Something interesting leaped out from the first page, declaring in bold screaming green ink: CHILD FOUND HALF-FROZEN IN DIAGON ALLEY BY SNAPE & SON!

And below that was a picture of his father, holding Holly in his arms and Harry beside him. 

"Merlin! Wait till Dad sees this!" Harry muttered, staring at the picture.  "Wonder who took it?" He hadn't seen anyone come out of a storefront, but then he recalled screaming for Severus soon after he'd discovered Holly and supposed that people must have heard him and someone had cared enough to take a picture and report it to the paper.

He didn't think his father was going to be too thrilled when he saw it, however.  Severus tended to loathe the press, and refused any interviews or exclusives if asked by a reporter, mostly because the fewer who knew that his son Harry was really Harry Potter, the better.  He had even used a Glamour Charm to disguise Harry's scar somewhat, though the time was coming when he would have to reveal to the wizarding world the truth of Harry's origins.  Harry Potter had to attend Hogwarts, Dumbledore insisted upon it, it had been part of an agreement he had made with the professor long ago, when he discovered the truth about Sev's adopted son. Severus's wizard oath bound him to raise Harry as his own, over Dumbledore's protests, but that one thing the old wizard had insisted upon.

Harry didn't much care for the fact that everyone would know he'd been adopted, not that he was ashamed of it, but the truth was he felt more like a Snape than a Potter.  Severus had shown him pictures of his parents, but to Harry they were simply that-abstracts of people he couldn't remember.  When he thought of his family, he thought of his father Severus and Silver, who had once been the wizard Remus Lupin, his wolf-brother.  And his last name had been Snape for so long that he just couldn't get used to it being Potter, and in fact had begged Severus to tell the Headmaster not to change his name.  "I'm a Snape, you made me a Snape, and that's how I want to be known.  I know they died for me and all, and I'm glad, but you raised me and . . .I feel like your son, not his.  He's just a name to me, but you're my father," he had told Severus  a week ago, when the older wizard had explained about attending Hogwarts, and Harry's status as the Boy Who Lived, savior of the wizarding world.

He didn't want to be a hero either, just an ordinary wizard, if that were possible.

He continued reading the article, noting that whoever had taken the snapshot had also told the reporter that Severus was Potions Master of Hogwarts and that he lived somewhere nearby.  Severus was fanatical about personal privacy, he had made too many enemies in his days as a spy and hated publicity. 

And now his picture and Harry's was splashed all over the front page of the Prophet, and the rest of the article spoke of how the mysterious girl was an orphan who used to haunt the byways of Diagon Alley, according to the shopkeepers, though no one knew her name or where she came from.  "I think she's a Squib," Ollivander was quoted as saying.  "None of my wands reacted to her when she held  them, and that means but one thing, either she's a Muggle or a Squib with barely any mage gift." And since no Muggle would be wandering Diagon Alley, the reporter logically concluded that the girl was a Squib and pondered trying to see what had become of her, presumably Snape, who had the reputation of being reclusive, strict, and brilliant, had brought her somewhere to save her life.

Harry raised an eyebrow at the way the columnist had phrased that.  Presumably? What do you think he'd do with her, you stupid git, lock her up and use her for potion ingredients? At least he helped her, which was better than what the rest of you lot did, stood by and watched her starve. And you never even asked her name. Huh! Bleeding bunch of . . .of . . .what's that word Dad uses? I know it . . .ah . . . err . . .bigots, that's it!  Just like her father . . .well, maybe not that bad, but still.

The kettle began to whistle, and Harry quickly made himself and Severus some tea-winter spice, of course.  The tea was the Potion Master's own blend and Harry unashamedly preferred it to any other kind.

He had just sat down with his cup when Severus appeared in the doorway.  "You're up before me? What did you do, stay awake all night? Normally, I have to drag you out of bed on the weekends."

Harry shrugged.  "Felt like getting up early, I guess. Here," he pushed a cup of tea and the copy of the paper towards his father. 

"Thank you." Severus took the cup and sipped it gratefully.  Then he looked down at the paper and swore.  "Bloody Merlin's ghost! How did that get in there?"

He scowled fiercely down at the front page, growling about "bloody meddling reporters who could never mind their own business." He shook his head, knowing full well that his private life was now going to become a media circus, and he mentally prepared for some busybody press to come knocking on his door.  I should have expected this, though.  We did rescue her from the middle of a street in Diagon Alley in broad daylight.  People were bound to talk.  He lifted his eyes from the paper and looked at Harry.

"Prepare yourself, son.  We're probably going to get visited by some reporters, I'd assume.  If that happens, just let me handle it and if they ask you any questions, tell them you have no comment or don't know."

"Okay, Dad.  Are we still going back to Diagon Alley though? I need to get your present." Harry reminded.

"Yes." Severus answered, though the last place he wanted to go was there, but he was no coward, to run and hide from a little publicity.  He rose and started scrambling an egg for a cheese omelet and making a pan of hash browns with onions.

Holly woke to the mouthwatering aroma of potatoes sautéing and eggs with melted cheese and thought she must be dreaming, because she hadn't smelled anything so good since Valina had died.  She closed her eyes and inhaled the heavenly aroma and thought If this is a dream, let me die in the middle of it and never wake up. Saliva pooled in the corners of her mouth and her stomach rumbled loudly, she swallowed hard and opened her eyes, only then recalling where she was and how she had gotten there. 

She groaned appreciatively and stretched, then slipped reluctantly from her cozy nest and headed for the small bathroom Severus had shown her last night.  She hurried through her washing up, though hot water and a real toilet were luxuries she hadn't had in weeks.  But the aroma permeating the air was impossible to ignore and so she quickly scrubbed and then followed her nose to the kitchen.

"Morning, sir.  Morning, Harry. Ooh, that smells so good!" she sighed longingly.

"Good morning, Holly.  I trust you slept well?" Severus inquired.  "How are you feeling?"

"Much better than I was yesterday, sir.  And much hungrier!" she added, flushing slightly.

Harry grinned and waved her to a place next to him, there was a place setting already there.  "Dad's cooking could bring a dead man back to taste it, it's that good."

Holly laughed, then looked around for the big silver wolf. "Where's Silver?"

"Uh . . .probably hunting," Harry replied, drinking his tea.

"Hunting? Where? Not here, I hope."

"No, he's hunting in his forest, up near Yorkshire."

"But that's kilometers from here!" Holly sputtered, her mouth agape.  "How did he get over there?" Then she snapped her mouth shut, feeling like an idiot.  "Oh.  Magic, right?"  Brilliant, Sinclair.  Of course by magic, these are wizards, after all.  Duh!

To his credit, Harry did not mock her for her obvious blunder, instead he answered, "Yeah, we made it so he could come and go as he pleases, and he likes being independent.  He's not like a pet, see? He can hunt for himself, but he's also kind of like my guardian, so he's here sometimes and in Yorkshire sometimes.  Most people who see him think he's a big dog, like a Malamute, that's got some wolf in him."

"And we encourage that belief," said Severus, levitating two plates heaped with hash browns and an omelet to them.  "Since wolves are extinct over here and we'd be hard pressed to explain how we imported one without rousing all kinds of questions I'd rather not have to answer." He directed a pointed look at Holly.

"I understand, sir." She said, then she dug into her breakfast.  The first bite tasted so very good she almost abandoned all the manners she had been taught and bolted her food.  But then her early training took over and she  forced herself to take small bites and chew and swallow. 

Severus set a cup of tea next to her and then served himself as well.  For several minutes, there was no sound in the kitchen save the clink and clatter of forks against porcelain and sighs of contentment. 

Holly managed to eat half her portion before saying regretfully, "I'm sorry, sir.  It was delicious but I just can't finish it."

"Nor should you, child.  You haven't been eating properly and too much food could make you nauseous," said Severus calmly. 

"Could we maybe wrap it for later?" Holly suggested, wishing she dared eat another bite.  But her stomach was now protesting how full it was and she didn't want to ruin the excellent meal by making herself sick. 

"No need for that, I'm sure Silver will enjoy the leftovers." Severus informed her. 

As if summoned, there was a stirring in the corner of the kitchen nearest the back door, where an old gnawed bone lay, and then the big wolf appeared, shaking himself and panting slightly.

"Oh!" Holly gasped. 

"See? Toldja he always comes back," Harry chuckled.  "You're just in time for breakfast, Silver. Unless you're too full from hunting."

But Silver shook his head, and padded over to give Severus a rather pleading glance from his amber eyes.

The Potions Master snorted, then gave Holly a questioning look.  "Miss Sinclair, would you mind if I gave your leftovers to this big drooling beast here? Before he creates a lake in the middle of the kitchen floor?"

Holly giggled at Severus's wit and also at the indignant look the wolf gave the wizard before nodding her assent.

Severus summoned the plate of half-eaten food and set it before the wolf, who devoured it in a twinkling.

The Potions Master indicated the Daily Prophet lying open before him, and said softly, "It seems we've managed to get ourselves in the paper, and therefore we can probably expect a few reporters to hound us today when we return to Diagon Alley.  Harry needs to go back and purchase a birthday present, would you like to come along, Holly?"

Holly considered, then nodded.  If she were with Harry and Severus, no one would dare tease or harass her the way they used to when she was a mere street kid.  "Yes, sir.  I'd like that." Then she added, because she could tell that having his name in the paper annoyed him greatly, "I'm sorry I'm causing you so much trouble, Mr. Snape.  I . . .don't mean to be a burden on you . . ." she looked down at the table, her pale hair sliding forward to hide her face, which she was certain was an unflattering shade of scarlet.

"Nonsense, young lady," the professor said gruffly.  "You are hardly to blame for the loose tongues of a few gossips.  People always talk, even when they know nothing.  And Diagon Alley spawns rumors like a dragon breathes fire.  So don't blame yourself for this, Holly.  It was to be expected, considering where we were when we rescued you."

The little girl nodded, but she still felt guilty for disturbing the quiet peace of the Potion Master's home.  Harry had told her yesterday how much Severus liked his privacy and now it was spoiled.

 

* * * * * *

 

Meanwhile, at another home on a vast estate in the wizarding side of Somerset, Lucius was just sitting down to his morning cup of coffee and croissants, creamed haddock, and eggs Benedict, when a house elf appeared and said, "The morning paper, Master Malfoy," and handed the wizard a copy of the Prophet before vanishing with an audible pop.

Lucius unfolded the paper leisurely, wondering if there were anything worth reading in it.  He nearly spewed his coffee all over when he caught sight of the picture on the front page. 

"Something wrong, dear?" inquired Narcissa, raising an eyebrow.

Lucius grabbed a linen napkin and dabbed at his lips.  "No . . .I just swallowed wrong . . ." he covered smoothly, hiding his shock with the ease of long practice.  Hell and damnation! How did SHE come there, and to be rescued by bloody Snape-the filthy traitor-of all people? That was the very last thing he had expected to see on the headlines . . .his Squib daughter being held in the arms of his worst enemy.  No one else would ever know that she was his, the likeness was slightly blurred and only those who had known her very well could ever recognize her, but he could feel his gut clenching nevertheless. 

He marveled that she had survived after he had sent her packing all those weeks ago, he had been sure she would succumb to the perils of the street, sheltered little thing that she was.  Apparently, there was more iron in her than he had thought, and for a single instant he felt a fleeting mote of pride, but he quickly crushed it.  She meant nothing to him, she was flawed, imperfect, and he needed to get rid of her, before anyone made a connection between her and himself.

His political career would be destroyed if word ever got out that he had fathered an illegitimate Squib child, much less abandoned her that way.  He didn't think Narcissa suspected he had a mistress, he had always been careful to expunge any trace of Valina upon his clothes or his person before returning to Malfoy Manor.  Not that she could do much to him if she had found out, he was perfectly within his rights to seek female companionship, especially since after Draco's birth, Narcissa made it plain she didn't want any more children and they no longer shared a room.

Still, he didn't want friction in his marriage right now and the current Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, frowned upon infidelity, he liked his advisors to be upstanding pillars of the community and all that rot.  So it would not be a good thing if a connection were ever made between himself and Holly Amanda Sinclair.

He forced himself to continue eating breakfast as if nothing were the matter, but all the while his cunning brain was working, considering how best to deal with his little problem child.

 

* * * * *

Some ten minutes later, Silver pricked up his ears and padded towards the front door of the little house, head lowered, and growling softly. 

"Harry? Why's he growling like that?" Holly asked uneasily.  She was not used to being around a large canine like this and the big wolf's sudden temper frightened her.

"Uh . . .I dunno," Harry said, puzzled, for he had never heard Silver snarl like that before.  "Dad, what's wrong with Silver?"

Severus was on his feet, his wand out and his eyes narrowed.  He had seen dogs behave like that before, usually when they smelled something or someone they disliked.  He quickly followed the wolf to the door, all of his instincts screaming of impending danger.

The great wolf had his head lowered and was growling steadily, his amber eyes narrowed in dislike. 

Sudden footsteps sounded on the porch and then there came a sharp rap on the door. 

Before Severus could open it, the door was nearly blown off its hinges by a shouted, "Alohomora Majoris!" which was a much stronger and advanced version of a standard Unlocking charm. 

A tall blond man carrying a snake-headed walking stick wearing gray robes and a finely tailored Italian pearl-gray suit stepped through the door, to be greeted by a set of humungous jaws and a terrible warning snarl.

"Bloody damn hell!" gasped Lucius Malfoy, stepping back hastily from the large predator standing staunchly in the doorway.  "Call off your guard dog or whatever it is, Snape!" he ordered.  "I have business I need to discuss with you."

"Oh, indeed?" Severus drawled, his voice cold as ice and dripping with sarcasm.  "What business would that be, Malfoy? I no longer make deals with the devil, old friend." He sneered that last word with a mocking twist, leaving Lucius no doubt that Severus had nothing but contempt and disgust for his old schoolmate.

Lucius drew himself up, stiffening at the other's disrespectful tone.  He poked his cane at Silver, who growled furiously, all of his fur bristling.  "Call off this beast, Snape, before I teach it why wizards were born to inherit the earth."

"Silver!" Severus called sharply, laying a hand on the big wolf's ruff and tugging gently.  "He's not worth biting, you might catch a deadly disease.  Easy now.  Go and guard Harry.  I'll take care of our unexpected . . .visitor."

Silver resisted, he really didn't like the aura the blond wizard gave off, it was dark with the blood of innocents and stained with the taint of black magic. But Severus pulled on him insistently and repeated his command to guard Harry.  Reluctantly, the big wolf backed away, still showing his fangs, and then disappeared back down the hallway to the kitchen, where he stood in the doorway, alert and ready to spring should Lucius attempt to breach the kitchen, where Harry and Holly crouched near the entrance, trying to see who had come knocking at the door.

"What do you want, Lucius?" Severus demanded in a soft dangerous tone.  He kept his wand trained upon the Death Eater.

Holly felt a sudden shiver go through her.  "Harry, it's my father!" she murmured and felt both shame and hope stir in her.  Perhaps he had come for her after all, and repented of his awful behavior.

Harry looked alarmed.  "What's he doing here? D'you think he's come to take you away?"

"I don't know.  Hush." She ordered him irritably, and strained her ears to hear the adults' conversation.

"You know perfectly well why I've come here, Snape," the other spat, his gray eyes shimmering with a sudden fury.  "Where is she? I know she's here, her picture was easily recognizable in the Prophet."

Severus's lips tightened and he said angrily, "Why would you care, Lucius? You left her to die like a dog in the street, to freeze to death on one of the coldest nights of the year.  Don't tell me you've suddenly developed a conscience, or some filial feeling.  I know better, Malfoy! What little heart you possessed was given long ago to darkness."

"That is none of your concern, traitor!" growled the pureblood.  "She belongs to me, to do with as I see fit.  Now where is she? Here? Or perhaps you brought her to St. Mungos?"

"She has a name, Malfoy." Severus reminded sharply.  "Or perhaps you've forgotten that too.  After all she is nothing more than a Squib to you."

"Just so, and I will not allow her to tarnish my reputation.  I have worked too hard to maintain it and I will not allow years of work to be ruined by that pathetic useless scrap of a girl!"

Back in the kitchen, Holly trembled, her eyes filling with tears.  Her father's cold words struck her like a swordthrust through the heart, filling her with a bitter cold sorrow.  I hoped . . .that he would take me home, wherever he lives, but he doesn't want me.  He doesn't love me.  She wrapped her arms about her middle, feeling suddenly sick to her stomach.

Severus laughed mockingly.  "Why, Lucius, can it be you are afraid? Afraid of a little girl? Why? Are you afraid of what people will say? That the most proper pureblooded scion of Malfoy Manor, First Advisor of the Minister of Magic, is really a wicked selfish evil man, who cares so little for his own daughter that he could leave her to starve and freeze alone in the middle of winter! Or is it that you fear that your infidelity will be discovered? Does your wife know of your double life, of the witch you kept in secret who bore you another child? Tsk. Tsk.  What would the Minister say?"

Lucius felt himself flush to the tips of his ears, Snape's words stung like a lash.  "Shut your mouth, Snape! I don't owe you an explanation for anything! I've come for one thing and one thing only. Now tell me where she is, blast you to hell!"

"No," Severus said silkily, his eyes glittering.  "She is somewhere where you will not harm her, Malfoy." Then he added, in a burst of intuition, "Like you harmed her mother."

There was a terrible silence following that statement.

Holly cringed, and Harry just stared at her, his face a mask of disbelief and horror that mirrored her own.  No . . .it's not true . . .Mum died in a potions accident . . . An accident! My father wouldn't have . . .he wouldn't . . .!

Then Lucius spoke. "What are you implying, Snape? That I had something to do with Valina's death?"

Severus glared at him. "Didn't you? You see, I remember Valina Sinclair from our days at school.  She was a Slytherin, and my mentor in Advanced Potions.  Ah, didn't know that, did you? She was an accomplished potion maker, hardly the kind to make mistakes like the one they say killed her.  After all, no body was ever found to study."

"Everyone makes mistakes, Snape." Lucius sneered, his handsome face twisting into a rigid mask.  "My biggest mistake, besides trusting you, traitor, was taking up with Valina.  Her lines were good, but she threw me a misfit."

"You speak of her as if she were a brood mare, Malfoy, instead of your lover and the mother of your child.  How cold are you?"

Lucius shrugged.  "I never pretended any grand passion for her, Snape.  That sort of thing exists only in stories.  True love is a farce, fit only for Mudbloods and fools.  Valina knew what she was, what I was, and if she chose to make of our arrangement a fantasy, that's too damn bad.  For her. I warned her not to cross me.  She chose to ignore that warning.  Most unwise, Snape."

"You are despicable, Lucius! She was no threat to you, none whatsoever.  Did you arrange for her "accident" then?"

"Think what you will, Snape, it matters not to me.  Now, for the last time, where is my little Squib child?"

Severus ground his teeth together and glared daggers at the other wizard.  "Why do you care, Lucius? So you can arrange for her to have an "accident" too?"

"That doesn't concern you! This is a private matter, Snape, and I'm telling you this once, do not stick your pointed nose into my business, or else!" Lucius declared menacingly. 

Behind them in the kitchen entranceway, Silver lowered his head and snarled, low and dangerous, and his amber eyes burned with fury.  Oh, how he longed to go and rip out the evil wizard's throat! He had never wished to do harm to a human so badly as he did then, and it took every ounce of self control he possessed not to act upon that impulse. 

"Or else what?" Severus drew himself up to his full height, and his eyes glittered fiercely, like a falcon that has sighted prey.  "You don't frighten me, Lucius! You take pleasure in subduing and hurting Muggles, women, and children, those who are helpless and cannot fight back.  But I am none of those things, and you need to beware of starting something you cannot finish, Malfoy."

Lucius laughed mockingly. "Do you think you can best me, fool? You would risk your neck in a duel over a mere child-and a magicless one at that?"

"Yes.  Because unlike you, I have priorities, and they do not include handing over an innocent to you for you to hurt when you have already hurt her enough! You are unnatural, treating your daughter that way, casting her out to starve like so much rubbish! What would the press say, Malfoy, if they knew what you have done? You, the First Advisor, guilty of arranging your mistress's death and of throwing your own flesh and blood into the street? Your so-called reputation would be destroyed in an instant."

"You dare--!" Lucius snarled, looking ready to cast the Cruciatus Curse on Severus, his gray eyes darkened to almost black. 

Suddenly, there came a muffled sob from the kitchen, and then the sound of small feet running.  Holly had remained mute with horror, listening to the awful conversation between her father and Severus, and all at once she could bear it no longer.  Her mother was dead and it seemed as if her father had actually had a hand in it and worst of all, he did not love her the way a father should love his daughter.  She had hoped, upon discovering who it was by the door, that he had repented and wished to make amends, that he would take her in his arms and tell her he was sorry and he loved her no matter what, and she was to come with him and live with him forever.  But Lucius's heartless words had shattered that bright daydream all to pieces, and she felt as if her heart were splitting in two. 

"Holly? Hey, where are you going?" Harry called, staring at the smaller girl in astonishment. 

Holly did not answer, she bolted out the side entrance to the kitchen and into the hall that led to the bedrooms and the bathroom.  She could hardly see for the tears that blurred her eyes, and her breath caught in her throat.  Mummy, oh I need you, I need you so much! And you're gone forever and it's all his fault! Sick with shame and sorrow, she raced into the bathroom and slammed the door shut and locked it. Then she dissolved into tears, wishing that she had died in the snow that night.

"So.  She is here!" declared the blond wizard, his mouth curling in triumph.  "Out of my way, Snape! I've come to claim my own!"

"Like hell!" And with that, Severus intoned a Repel Invaders hex that blew the startled Malfoy off his feet and across the yard, to slam up against a tree.  "Get off my property, Malfoy! Holly stays with me and you'll not have her ever as long as I'm around.  Go back to your fine manor, you heartless bastard, and if you dare to try and harm me or mine, you will find your reputation in shreds faster than you can blink, and the only thing you'll be needing is a burial urn when I'm through with you."

Lucius had not been expecting Snape to react so quickly, and had thus been caught off guard.  He had always considered Severus inferior, half-blood and of a lesser social and financial status, and he did not think he possessed much magecraft since he was a Potions Master. He had learned better, to his chagrin. He groaned and shook his head woozily, it throbbed and pulsed like seven hells from being smashed into a tree trunk.  He tried to stand, leaning heavily on his serpent-headed walking stick, but his head was spinning.  "This isn't finished, Snape!" he rasped, swallowing hard to keep from retching.  "I'll be back, you sniveling coward, and then you shall learn why no one crosses a Malfoy."

"I'll be waiting, Lucius." Severus promised.  "Perhaps you ought to bring along some friends next time, so you'll have some company groveling in the dirt."

Lucius snarled some choice cuss words, unable to retaliate magically because he was so dizzy he could barely focus two feet in front of him, much less concentrate to cast a spell.  The point of his walking stick dug a deep furrow into the earth as the Death Eater stood, wishing Severus devoured by demons and the worthless Squib that had started all this frozen to death and out of his life forever, like her mother. "I'll be back, Snape! And you will rue the day!" he cried in impotent fury.

He turned to make his way down the cracked pavement, wishing he had thought to bring his broom instead of Apparating. 

A furry silver streak exploded out of the door, nearly knocking Severus over. 

"What the bloody blazes-!"

The Potions Master stared as Silver flew across the lawn in three huge bounds and took a satisfying bite out of Malfoy's vulnerable backside.

"AHHHH!"

Malfoy's shriek of agony could have been heard in Australia. 

Silver growled and barked, showing huge fangs.

Lucius stumbled and nearly fell, took one look at the enraged wolf, and decided that he could Apparate after all.  He vanished in a flicker of reddish light, before Silver could attack again.

"Silver!" cried Severus.  "Get your blasted behind inside right now! What if someone saw? You could start a panic!"

The big wolf shook his head, then trotted up the steps obediently, a smug look in his expressive amber eyes.  Ha! Guess I showed him!

Severus snorted, muttered something about Gryffindors, then gave the proud animal a grudging smile. "Guess I can't blame you, though." He followed the wolf inside, shutting the front door securely after him. 

Then he began to cast every safety ward and protective spell he knew over the house and the property.  He was taking no chances with the safety of the children. 

He had just finished casting a scramble charm over the fireplace to prevent any unauthorized Floo entry when Harry called from the hallway, "Dad! Come quick! Holly's locked herself in the bathroom and she won't come out."

Severus shook his head, Silver whined, and then the Potions Master went down the hall to where Harry was standing, and put a hand on his son's shoulder.  "Harry, did you two happen to hear what was discussed before?"

His son nodded.  "Yeah, and Holly said that man was her father, but he sure don't act like one.  Did he really kill his own wife?"

"Hush! You don't want to upset Holly anymore than she already is," Sev reprimanded.  "I believe he did, but without proof I cannot accuse him.  Don't worry about him, Harry.  I've made sure he can't harm you." At least for now.  Tomorrow I must see about fashioning some amulets of protection for them. He put an arm about Harry and hugged him.  Harry leaned into his embrace. 

Behind the door, they could hear Holly wailing and Harry winced and said, "Dad, can you unlock the door?"

"Yes." Severus pointed his wand and a blue ribbon shot out and wound about the doorknob.  An instant later, the lock opened with a snick. 

"Holly? Are you okay?" Harry called worriedly.

The only sound that came from the bathroom was a muffled wailing and sobbing. Harry gave Severus an awkward look, and the Potions Master motioned him to stand aside while he opened the door and entered the bathroom.

The little girl was curled in a ball in a corner inbetween the toilet and the tub, her hands covering her face, her small frame shaking with the force of her unutterable grief.  Tears tinged an odd pink color dripped from between her clasped hands.

"Holly? Child, look at me." Severus said, kneeling down next to the girl.  "He's gone, he'll never hurt you like that again."

Trembling, she lowered her hands and Severus gasped.  Long scratches covered her cheeks like fiery brands, and blood trickled from them, mixing with the tears on her cheeks.  " . . .his face . . . .I have his face . . ." she sobbed incoherently. She made as if to scratch at herself again, her little hands crooked into claws.

"Stop! Holly, stop!" Severus ordered, aghast.  He caught her hands in his own.  "Don't. Don't hurt yourself because of him."

She struggled, weeping.  "I hate him . . .he killed my mother . . .I know it . . .And I'm part of him . . .!"

"I know, but listen. Listen to me," Severus ordered sharply, shaking her gently.  "You may have his blood, and you may have his face, but that does not make you him.  You are your own person, Holly Sinclair, and a far better one than he will ever be."

 

She shook her head.  "No . . .I'm not . . .or else he would love me, like other dads love their daughters."

"Little one, Lucius doesn't love you because he is incapable of loving anyone.  You shouldn't blame yourself because he is a heartless beast.  You are more than worthy of being loved."

"How do you know?"

"Because your mother loved you, Holly, and she was a fine judge of character.  I knew her well, she was my mentor when I was a student.  And I can tell that you are like her, child." Severus said earnestly, looking right into her eyes.  "Like her, not him."

"But . . .I look like him . . .I don't want to look like him . . .!" she wailed, trying to free her hands from Severus's grasp.

"Shhh . . .come here . . ." Severus pulled her into his arms, holding her firmly against him.  "You could never be like him . . .you are pure and good and innocent . . .hush . . ." He pushed her head down against his shoulder, rubbing her back and hugging her.

She stopped fighting him eventually, allowing herself the comfort she so badly needed, putting her head down and crying heartbrokenly into his shirt. 

And Severus held her, cursing the heartless wizard who had sired her to the depths of hell, and wishing he could do more to help her.  Poor broken child, you need more help than I can give.  A Mind Healer, perhaps, might be able to rid you of the inferiority complex he gave you and restore you to yourself.  I'll have to see about setting up an appointment with a therapist.  Luckily, he happened to know a very good one, Healer Keegan had helped him with his own nightmares after he had retired from his duties as a spy for the Order of the Phoenix, when he suffered from flashbacks of the horrors he had witnessed and the deaths he had been unable to prevent.  Perhaps Susan would also be able to help Holly. 

At last her sobs died to sniffles and Severus cautiously sat her up in his lap.  "Let's put some salve on those scratches, all right?"

Holly nodded dully, she felt hollow inside ever since Lucius had come, it was as if his coming had smothered all the happiness and warmth within her. 

"Harry, fetch me the quick-healing salve, please," Severus instructed.

Harry obeyed immediately, glad to have something to do.  He went into Severus's potions store and fetched down the container of salve.  "Here, Dad." He handed the Potions Master the jar, then turned to Holly and said, "That salve is great, it doesn't sting and it heals up cuts in like an hour.  Dad invented it, and I've used it loads of times."

Holly nodded, giving him the barest flicker of a smile. 

"Look at me, child," Severus gently tilted the girl's face towards him and smoothed on the creamy golden salve. 

Almost instantly, the stinging pain and bleeding stopped and Holly sighed in relief. 

"Better, yes?  Good.  Now, I want you to promise me something."

"What?"

"That you will not try and harm yourself again.  If you feel angry or upset, come and find me and we can talk about what's bothering you, or you can hit a pillow or something and pretend it's your father, but do not scratch yourself this way again, understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Promise me."

"I promise."

"Very good.  Also know this, you will always have a home with me and Harry.  We do not care if you are a witch, a Squib, or a Muggle.  Here you are simply Holly and we love you for who you are, not what you are."

She gaped at him in astonishment.  "Do you . . .really mean that, sir?"

"I do.  And you may call me Severus if you wish, you are not a student, to have to ‘sir' me all the time."

She gazed up at him, and in her sapphire eyes, so like Valina's, flared a kernel of hope.  "Thank you, sir.  I . . .I mean Severus," she corrected, flushing.  "I'm sorry to bring you so much trouble."

"Do not be.  You are not to blame for your father's unreasonable irrational attitude and arrogance.  He brings trouble upon himself, by being what he is."

"Do you think he meant what he said, Dad?" Harry asked abruptly.  "About coming back here?"

Severus sighed.  "He may have, Harry, but he'll find a poor welcome if he does.  Between my wards and Silver, you will be quite safe."

Harry giggled suddenly.  "Holly, you shoulda seen it.  Silver . . .ran outside and he . . .bit your father right on the bum.  Hard!"

Holly's eyes grew wide.  "Really?"

Harry nodded, sniggering.  "Yeah and he screamed like a . . .coward," he told her, substituting the word "coward" for "girl" just in time. 

Holly looked pleased.  She looked over at Silver, who was standing in the doorway, and gave him a thumbs up sign.  "Good old Silver!  Too bad I missed it."

"I'm sure Silver will be happy to repeat it, should Lucius come skulking around again," said Severus, a note of profound satisfaction in his voice. 

Silver yipped an affirmative and wagged his tail slightly. 

"All right then, why don't you . . .get dressed, Holly?" suggested the Potions Master awkwardly, only then realizing that Holly was still in her nightgown.  "We should go to Diagon Alley soon, before it becomes crowded.  We'll leave as soon as you're presentable, Holly."

The little girl gave him another hug before standing up and saying, "I'll hurry, don't worry." As she turned to leave she whispered, over her shoulder, "I wish you were my real dad, Severus.  And Harry my real brother."

Then she was gone down the hall to put on the clothes Severus had transfigured for her the night before, which were a pair of jeans, a soft  pink sweatshirt and sneakers with pink stripes. 

Behind her, Harry murmured, "So do I."

Severus blinked at him in astonishment.  Then he smiled and said quietly, "I as well, son.  Go and put on your coat, we'll be leaving soon."

The End.
End Notes:
Well, how did you like this one?

Next: More trouble occurs at Diagon Alley as some bullies try and torment Holly.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1754