This New Life by The Ivory Raven
Summary: Harry's memory is erased, leaving him without any knowledge of his past...or future. When Snape is forced to help in his recovery, unintentional bonds form, linking Harry to his Potions Master and a certain blond Slytherin. Some HP/DM and SS/RL slash near end.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Baby fic, Child fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Rape, Romance/Slash, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 19797 Read: 37338 Published: 05 Jan 2009 Updated: 14 Jun 2011
Progress by The Ivory Raven

Ron and Hermione left that evening on their way to the Great Hall for supper after the whole 'Daddy' incident, covering their mouths with their hands and not making eye contact with the irate Potions Master in an attempt to hide their mirth. They had just shuffled their way out the door when it slammed loudly behind them. They glanced at each other and broke down in a fit of giggles again as they made their way up the deserted corridor.

In his quarters, Snape was on his way to check on his charge and to bring the boy something to eat. As he entered the room, once again he heard a happy voice call out, "Daddy." Snape sent a death glare to the raven-haired youth, but apparently Harry was oblivious to the meaning behind the look because he continued to smile at his caretaker in a look of pure contentment. Slowly, the glare fell from Snape's face. What is the use of a perfectly good death glare if it has no effect?

For a lack of anything better to do at that particularly awkward moment, Snape began talking to the boy in hopes that the child would understand at least some of what he was saying. "I am not your father, Potter. Honestly, I don't know what those friends of yours were telling you, but the proper way to address me is 'Sir', understand?"

Harry blinked a few times in bewilderment of what his 'daddy' was trying to tell him. Finally, his eyes wandered over to the tray Snape held with the bowl of food on it. He pulled his arms out from under the blanket that Hermione had tucked around him before she left, and he reached towards the bowl. Snape saw Harry's arms swing toward him and he retreated a few steps.

"Hungry? I have a bowl of chicken noodle soup for you. If you can eat this without any problems, I'll be requesting something of a more solid nature for you to eat at breakfast tomorrow. A banana, perhaps?" As he was talking, he got everything set up and had pulled up a chair. He sat down and scooped some of the soup onto the spoon. As he directed it towards the boy's mouth, Harry reached up and clumsily grabbed the spoon and thrust it in his mouth, spilling most of the contents down the front of his clothes.

Snape closed his eyes in annoyance and gritted his teeth. Great Merlin! Why me?

He took a few deep breathes to quell his anger, and snatched the spoon back. Harry pouted a little but didn't cry, and the pair finished the experience with no more mishaps.

The following day, Snape was summoned to the Headmaster's office to discuss Harry's progress. Snape left Harry asleep and in the care of a house elf before making his way to Dumbledore's office. As he raised his arm to knock, the office door opened of its own accord and the Headmaster's cheerful voice rose from within.

"Ah, Severus, how are you this morning?"

"I've been better…," Snape mumbled as he took a seat.

"Oh, come now," Dumbledore interrupted, "Surely Harry isn't that much trouble?"

Snape offered no reply, but shot a withering look to his old friend instead.

The Headmaster softly chuckled. "Yes, well, the sooner he recovers, the sooner you'll find your rooms empty again."

It was said as a way to placate the potions master, but as Snape considered the Headmaster's words, he found that he had grown somewhat used to having someone to talk to these past few days, even if he never got a reply, and he wasn't exactly looking forward too much to being completely alone again.

"So," Dumbledore continued, "How far along has he progressed?"

"I believe he is ready to begin physical therapy. He has shown signs that the nerve regeneration potion is working and he has been grasping at objects more and more often." Snape's memory automatically recalled breakfast from earlier that morning, when he learned that it is extremely difficult to remove dried bananas from one's hair.

"That is good news, indeed. I have an acquaintance in America that I believe will work to our advantage. He is a wizard by the name of Michael Greenway. He specializes in physical therapy and he is a very trustworthy person. If Michael is amendable to the suggestion, I think it would benefit Harry if we could start the therapy as soon as possible. I can have him floo here a few times a week to work with Harry in your quarters, if that is alright, Severus."

"Of course, Albus," Snape replied, knowing any other answer would not be accepted.

The old Headmaster's face lit up with a smile and he said, "Now, on to other matters. Molly Weasley has been contacting me several times every day since we moved Harry from the hospital wing. She is requesting a visit with him."

Great…more interruptions to my day! The grumpy look Snape gave was apparently amusing because the Headmaster began to chuckle again.

"Look at it this way, Severus; it will allow you some time to get other things done. The Healer who came from St. Mungo's to assist us temporarily during Poppy's absence has reported just yesterday that she is running low on a few potions."

"Very well, Albus. Is there anything else you require?" The narrow-eyed look of annoyance and the hint of sarcasm in the reply was enough to get the old man chuckling aloud this time. Snape huffed and shook his head. He rose from his seat and made his way back down to the quiet of the dungeons, the Headmaster's chuckles still ringing in his ears as he walked.

Several days later, as Snape finished the last bite of his lunch, there came a loud knocking on his door. He swung the door open to find Dumbledore standing there with a man he had never seen before standing just behind him.

"Ah, Severus, I would like you to meet Healer Greenway." As Dumbledore moved back, the healer stepped forward to introduce himself. The man was young, in his mid-thirties. His hair was short and sandy colored, and Snape was suddenly reminded of a younger Remus Lupin. He wore a muggle type suit of light brown with a white shirt, but without a tie, and he carried a large black medical bag in his left hand. He extended his free hand towards Snape and said with a smile, "Hi. You can just call me Mike if you like. So where is the young man I've heard so much about?"

Snape gave a nod of his head in greeting and proceeded to make his way towards Harry's room, leaving Dumbledore in the Main room where he sat himself down on one of the chairs near the fireplace. Snape led Mike inside the bedroom and gently shook the boy's shoulder to wake him. "Some of the potions he's on make him sleep more than he normally would." Snape offered in explanation as Harry slowly began to stir from his slumber.

Finally, two sleepy eyes opened and he looked about the room before his eyes met Snape's and Harry grinned up at his, "Daddy."

Mark's eyes widened a bit and he exclaimed, "I didn't know he was your son."

Snape whirled around and said slowly, as though talking to someone stupid, "He's not. He is just confused."

Mike stepped up to the bed to greet the boy who looked eagerly up at him, "Hi, Harry. My name is Mike. We're going to have some fun together, O.K.?" Then he sat his black bag on the small nightstand and opened it, pulling several objects out as Snape quietly left the room to speak with the Headmaster.

Snape settled himself down in a chair opposite of Dumbledore's and gazed into the flames blazing in his fireplace. "Molly Weasley would like to know if she can come by tomorrow afternoon to see Harry. I told her it would most likely be alright to come at that time, but it can be changed if need be." Dumbledore cast a questioning glance at Snape.

"Of course, Albus," Snape replied. "That will be fine."

After a long pause spent in thought, Snape then continued. "Now that Potter is learning to speak again, it would be wise if we brought in a personal tutor to help with the basics, like reading and penmanship. We'll need to keep everything going at a steady pace if the boy is to ever catch up with his peers."

"I know, Severus. That was something I've been meaning to speak to you about. I think I've found the perfect person to tutor young Harry…"

"But…" Snape added, knowing there was more to be said.

"But I don't think you'll agree with my choice for the position."

"Well then, who is it?" Snape asked, his impatience leaking through into the conversation.

"Remus Lupin."

Snape remained silent for a few minutes before surprising the Headmaster with his next statement. "I suppose he really would be best for the job."

Dumbledore's bushy eyebrows had indeed shot up in surprise, but he quickly regained his composure and smiled brightly at his potions master, eyes twinkling madly. "I'm glad you agree; he'll be at Hogwarts by the end of next week, just as soon as he completes the mission he's on for the Order." Dumbledore leaned back in the chair and pulled a bag of lemon drops from an inner robe pocket. He popped one into his mouth and sat silently in thought for a few moments before continuing.

"I can have him work with Harry from about breakfast until lunch. That would free up half of the day for you and you'll be able to teach your morning classes again."

Both men stared into the fire, contemplating the future until Snape changed the subject as nonchalantly as he could. "Have you heard from Poppy lately?"

"Yes, I have actually. I received an owl just this morning that said everything was going well, but there were some who were seriously wounded during the attack who are still not healed enough to be released from her care as of yet. She said it might be another month or two before she'll be able to make it home."

"What do you plan on doing with Potter when summer break starts?"

"Truthfully, Severus, I think we'll just have to wait and see how well he's doing when the time comes." Snape nodded his head in agreement.

Before much else could be said, their solitude was interrupted by the sound of footsteps making their way down the hall. Mike appeared from around the corner and made his way over to the other two men. Both stood as Mike neared them and Dumbledore was the first to ask, "Well, how did it go?"

"It went quite well I'd say. We need to get him out of that bed as soon as we can though; his muscle mass is deteriorating the longer he stays there, and we'll need to start on some leg exercises to build up his strength before he can make any attempt at walking. We'll more than likely need to allow him the use of leg braces for a while, just until his strength and coordination approve. But on the whole, I think he'll be able to fully recover with time."

He reached into his bag and pulled out a roll of parchment which he handed to Snape. "I'll be coming to see him three times a week. This is a list of exercises you can do with him in between my visits that will help him recover as fast as possible. I'll warn you now, there are parts of this process that he may not be happy about. It will be a lot of hard work and he may get disappointed or frustrated at times, but I am positive that he could be walking by summer break as long as we keep at it."

"That's wonderful news," Dumbledore exclaimed, obviously giddy at the words of hope. He showed the man out the door, talking as they walked about any and everything. Snape made his way back to Harry's bedroom to check on him. He stepped into the room and walked over to the bed. He stared down at the boy's sleeping form nestled into the bed, the covers tucked right up to his chin on one side, and on the other, his whole arm hung out from under the fluffy blue blanket with his stuffed owl still clutched in the crook of his arm. Snape couldn't help it…he smiled.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1759