Lost and Found by hpfanficfan
Summary: Harry's relatives abandon him on the playground at age six. Who should find him but the one and only, Severus Snape.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Petunia, Pomfrey, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 27681 Read: 91200 Published: 12 Jan 2009 Updated: 06 Dec 2009
Chapter 4: Arrival at Hogwarts by hpfanficfan

 

Wednesday, August the 23, 1986 turned out to be the worst days in Severus' life. Bar none. Yes, that's right, it was more terrible than all his days in Hogwarts, all his days in service of the Dark Lord and all his days forced to teach bunches of brainless dunderheads! What the grumpy potions master didn't know, was that worst or not, it would be the day that changed his life. And that what he thought was a misfortune would, in time, turn out to be something else altogether.

This is the worst of my life. Bar none! Trust Potter to ruin a perfectly fine day, not to mention the rest of my living days. I shouldn't have bothered to pick him up; someone would have found the brat eventually.

Severus thought wrathfully to himself as he pulled Harry along. His long gaits meant that Harry had to skip to keep up but Severus either did not notice or did not care.

I should have refused to go along with this ridiculous plan. This is the most unjust thing he has ever done! This is criminal! Never again, I will never again listen to him. This goes against nature, he is a Potter! That Albus, how does he expect me to…to…

"Where are we going, sir?"

"Be quiet."

oo0o0oo

Earlier that day…

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and yelped when the floo was engulfed by the same swirl of green flames he had seen before. The very next moment he was being thrust forward and would have fallen flat on this face if the Severus hadn't been gripping his arm. Still, Harry's knees hit the ground and he ended up covered in soot.

Harry's head hurried to catch up with the rest of him. But before could recover, Severus tugged him to his feet and steered him into Dumbledore's office. Harry had no choice but to stumble along, all the while trying to figure out what had happened. He stole a glance back at the flickering flames, breathing fast and hard.

"What was that?"

"Do you have short-term memory loss, Potter?" Severus jeered. "Did I not just tell you that that is the floo?"

Harry ducked his head and chose to ask no more questions, a wise decision. That was one rule the Dursleys never let him forget; questions were not permitted in or outside the house, with or without company…ever. The 'no questions' rule was very hard to follow; because there were a lot of things Harry didn't know and wanted to know about. Plus, there were times when he had to ask questions just so he could get his chores done right.

"Thank you for meeting me, headmaster," spoke Severus.

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me Albus," said Dumbledore.

"Severus, what is going on?" McGonagall inquired.

Severus made a face and deposited Harry in front of his employer and colleague "I was in Greensdale on some business when this decided to put me off my schedule. Now, Albus, if you please take Potter off my hands I must be going." And with that the tall wizard turned heel with as much grace as possible and made a run for the floo. Unfortunately, he could not even get a step forward before the deputy headmistress stopped him.

McGonagall gasped and stood. "Severus, wait. Did you say Potter? Harry Potter?

"Unfortunately," Severus grunted as he turned around.

"Severus, what is going on? Did you say you found him in Greensdale? What do you mean by that? He was alone?"

"Don't look at me, ask him!" Severus barked.

"Don't you yell at me, Severus Snape. There is no need to get so grumpy," McGonagall huffed with indignation. "I am just in shock. What in the world are you doing with Potter? Shouldn't he be with his aunt and uncle?"

Severus crossed his arms and snapped. "Don't you think I know that?"

"Now, Severus," said Dumbledore, giving the Potions Professor a look. "Why don't you tell us what happened from the beginning. In detail, yes?"

Severus sighed impatiently. "There are no details, headmaster, and nothing to explain. I found the boy in the hidden alley near Pothole, alone and asleep behind the dumpster. It is as simple as that."

"But how did he get there?" McGonagall frowned.

"How would I know?" said Severus in a chipped tone.

"Looks like someone woke on the wrong side of the bed," McGonagall said annoyed.

"I slept very well, thank you very much!" Severus flared. "I just have business to attend to, Minerva. Important business! Now, if you could take this brat off my hands. I am late for an appointment."

"Don't worry about your appointment, Severus. I'm sure we can find the ingredients you are looking for...somewhere. What was it? Appendix of tebo (1)? Quite rare, those are."

Yes they were quite rare, tebo, That's why he definately needed some appendix for his potion stores. Dumbledore may be a sock fanatic, but Severus liked to collect rare potion ingredients. He was a potions master after all. "Like I said before, Potter was in the alley leading to Pothole. I found him sleeping behind the dumpsters, alone. Probably wandered off without permission and got himself lost."

"Lost, you say?" Dumbledore frowned even more. His brows knitted together as though he'd just heard of dire news.

"Yes, Albus, lost. Now may I please leave?"

"Oh dear," Dumbledore spoke slowly. "I'm afraid not, Severus. I believe there is more to our situation than the story of a lost boy."

"Stop speaking in riddles, Albus. The brat has clearly disobeyed his guardians and wandered off. Trust Harry Potter to have be disobedient enough to either wander off or run away. Then he was stupid enough to crawl into some dark alley and hid instead of asking for help." Severus finished with distaste.

"Things are not always what they seem."

"Things are simpler than you opt to believe, headmaster."

"Severus, why don't you take a seat and we will ask Harry for his side of the story."

"I don't see the point of…"

"Tea, my boy?"

Severus grumbled and sat down grumpily on a chair.

oo0o0oo

Harry followed Severus out of the chimney, and he tried in vain to brush all the ash off of his clothes. But the dirt just stuck to his still damp clothes and refused to budge. Harry bit his lip; his clothes had been wet and dirty enough as it was, and now there were black smudge all over them. Oh was he ever going to hear about this, Aunt Petunia would throw a fit!

Harry's worry about his filthy trousers, however, disappeared when he raised his head high enough to see the room around him.

Boy, thought Harry as he peaked around, this place is messy. Not messy as in dirty, just very cluttered with all kinds of strange gadgets and antiques. There was even a golden globe hanging from the ceiling, along with a grayish dragon and purple socks. Strange that there appeared to be no strings attached to them. They all looked very expensive—all except for the purple socks—Harry would have to be careful not to touch or break anything. His relatives screamed at him if he so much as breathed on their expensive things, like Dudley's toys, or Aunt Petunia's china, or Uncle Vernon's 200£ suit. There was also a strange bird sleeping on a perch; it's red and golden feathers were enchantingly beautiful, making Harry want to reach out and pet it. But he was fairly sure he wasn't allowed to pet something so pretty and besides, if dogs bit, then surely birds could too.

There were two people in the room sitting at a desk; an old woman and an even older man. The old woman had her hair tied back into a tight bun, and looked very stern and intimidating. Though not as scary as Aunt Petunia. The old man had the longest beard he'd ever seen, it stretched from the man's chin all the way to his belly!

Harry ducked his head again when he noticed the woman trying to stare a whole through his head. He hid himself behind Severus and gripped the man's hand tighter, only to be pushed forward closer towards the strangers.

Harry kept his head low, but lifted his eyes to look around.

Where was he? What would happen now?

"Severus, wait. Is that…is this Harry Potter?"

How did she know his name? She sounded like she knew him, but he did not recognize the woman.

"Lost you say?" He heard the woman say.

Yes…yes he was lost.

"The brat has clearly disobeyed his guardians and wandered off," said the man.

That was not true. He had not disobeyed and wandered off. He didn't dare disobey his aunt and uncle.

More things were being spoken about him. They were arguing…about him. Why would they bother arguing about him? Would these people punish him for being such a bother and for causing so much trouble? He knew his aunt and uncle would if they heard the neighbours or anyone arguing about him; they'd punish him for drawing attention with his 'abnormalness'.

When was he going home? Was it really magic that got him here? Magic. But it couldn't have been magic. Magic isn't real, Harry had known for as long as he remembered. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon were avid about that fact and kindly reminded of him of it if he so much as hinted about card tricks. They instilled in him that magic is evil and bad, and that he was a freak for liking it, just like his parents. But Harry didn't like magic…or at least he didn't think so. No…yes, Harry definitely hated magic, despite how fascinating he found it, because magic were illusions created by the devil. Whatever that meant.

Had he been imagining things? Or maybe this was all a dream. Or maybe he was a freak like his aunt and uncle said; just plain freakish.

They continued to argue about him and Harry did not like that. He hated attention because it always led to bad things. The boy shifted nervously from one foot to the other, hunched his shoulders, and hid behind the man who brought him here.

oo0o0oo

"What are you thinking, Albus?"

"I think that we should pay Harry's relatives a visit. They must be worried sick," said Albus. "In the mean time, Severus, why don't you take Harry down to the infirmary for a quick check up just to make sure he's okay."

"What do you mean? He looks fine to me."

"Actually, Harry does look a bit flushed to me. Severus, you said you found him in the alley asleep? You mean this was all he was wearing? "

Severus nodded in confirmation.

"So he was sleeping outside, on the ground, and with nothing but trousers and a shirt?"

"Yes, Minerva. Now would you get to the point."

"Severus Snape, you ought to know exactly what my point is," McGonagall said angrily. "I'd see you spend an entire night out in the cold rain with nothing but this and not get sick. A child as young as Harry is very vulnerable to pneumonia."

Severus snorted at the absurd idea.

"Harry, come here please. Let me feel your head," McGonagall said, gesturing with her hand.

But Harry backed away again from elderly witch and pressed his back up against Severus. He turned to leaned his head into Severus' arm, hiding his eyes and gripped the sleeve of the robe. "Potter! Get off me!" The flabbergasted potions master exclaimed. He tried to move his arm away, but Harry did not relinquish his hold. Severus took in a deep breath, he had the strongest urge to physically pry the boy off him, but for whatever reason, did not.

"It seems, Severus, that young Harry has attached himself to you," Dumbledore commented fondly. "Literally."

"WHAT! Me! Preposterous! Why would he attach himself to me?" Severus boomed, but did not shove Harry away.

"Perhaps it is because you were the first to help him when he needed it. He feels comforted by you," Dumbledore explained.

"Non-sense. I just brought him here. I have made no attempt at comforting him," Severus denied. "Why is he seeking comfort from me?"

"Exactly, Severus. You were the one that brought him here, and made him feel safe," said McGonagall.

"Safe? Safe! No six year old should feel safe around me."

"Don't be like that, Severus. You should be honoured. Harry likes you."

"Likes me? Merlin forbid, a Potter likes me! I never thought I'd see the day."

"Well, now you have," McGonagall smiled.

"Ask him how he feels, Severus," Severus glared at Dumbledore who was obviously not helping things.

"Fine," Severus huffed. He reached down and made Harry stand in front of him. "Potter, how do you feel?"

Harry remained silent.

"Potter! I asked you a question and you will answer it."

Harry bit his lip and offered the tiniest shrug.

"A verbal answer if you please, Potter."

"I…I don't know," Harry quivered, clearly intimidated by the harsh tone.

"Severus!" the witch admonished. "Keep your voice down."

Severus ignored her and continued. "Is your nose runny? Do you feel pain in your throat, head, stomach or any other place? Are you cold? Warm? Numb? Sleepy? Tired? Dizzy? Shortness of breath? Do you feel sick? Do you feel nausea? A racing heart perhaps?

"Um…I..." Harry started. He focused hard and tried to remember everything Severus had asked. He didn't even understand few of the words. "I think my tummy hurts a little. And my throat too. And my nose is a bit runny." Harry sniffed to show that it was true.

"Is that all?"

"Oh…and I'm a bit tired too."

"Very well, Potter," Severus turned to the others and exaggerated. "There you go then, it's just the chills. No pneumonia, no fever, disease of any sort! Nothing a simple potion can't handle."

"Feel his head, Severus. He just might have that fever," McGonagall suggested, still frowning with worry.

"Why don't you feel his head?" Severus snapped and crossed his arms. "Or get Poppy to, I'm no medi-wizard."

"You can feel whether the child is warm, can you not?" McGonagall countered.

"So can you, Minerva."

"Actually I do think that it would be better if we get Poppy," Dumbledore interrupted. "Harry will be needing a full check up."

Severus breathed a sigh of relief at those words. "Finally, I can leave." Unfortunately for the potions master, Albus Dumbledore had other plans.

"Minerva, would you accompany me to Surrey for a visit to Mr. and Mrs. Dursley?"

"Of course, Albus," McGonagall agreed, getting up and following Dumbledore to the floo.

"Severus, Poppy should be in her lab, organizing her potion stores. Why don't you take Harry down and have Poppy do a full diagnosis. And make sure to get him out of those damp clothes. Come, Minerva, time is of the essence."

And before the potions master could respond, the floo flashed again and Dumbledore and McGonagall departed the office, leaving Fawkes slumbering on his perch, Severus staring at the floo, and Harry looking up at him expectantly.

"Wait…WHAT?"

 

The End.
End Notes:
1 The Tebo is an ash-colored warthog. It is found in the African countries of Congo and Zaire. The Tebo is very dangerous and can make itself invisible, rendering it virtually impossible to capture or evade. Tebo hide is strong as it is used by Witches and Wizards to make protective shields and clothing.

-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1767