Not That Bad of a Birthday After All by Stump_Pan
Summary: Snape teaches a Harry how to ice skate on his birthday
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Fic Fests > #6 Winter Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1733 Read: 3012 Published: 15 Jan 2009 Updated: 15 Jan 2009
Chapter 1 by Stump_Pan
Author's Notes:
If the descriptions of how exactly you are supposed to ice skate are off, I'm sorry I'm originally from the desert so this wasn't me. The last time I went ice skating was about four years ago. So my apologizes if I got it wrong.

Severus groaned as the Monitoring Charm on his ward, Harry’s room activated.   Severus quickly cast a Tempus Charm; it was half past six in the morning.  He could hear Harry begin to cry. 

There goes my chance at getting a bit of a lie-in.  Severus grumbled to himself as he rolled out of bed.  He padded down the hall barefoot, rubbing a hand down his scruffy face.

Harry sat up in his miniature bed, tears running down his face, screaming at the top of his lungs.  Not for the first time since taking in the boy in eight days ago, Severus found himself regretting his choice in New Year’s Resolutions. 

It was on New Year’s Day that Severus fulfilled his resolution, to check on the health and safety of his onetime best friend’s child, Harry Potter.  Severus found the three and half year old Harry, sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs, in filthy clothes, five sizes too big for him. Severus was shocked to learn that this had been the boy’s standard treatment since coming to live with his aunt and uncle two plus years ago.  At that moment Severus realized he’d have to take the boy, so here he was. 

“Hush Potter, hush now,” Severus said taking the boy into his arms.  “What’s so terrible to cause such a fuss?” 

Severus paced the room bouncing the boy gently.  Harry eventually calmed and snuggled into Severus’ chest.  Severus continued to rock the boy for several more minutes.

Maybe I can get that lie-in after all.  Severus said looking down at the boy; it seemed Harry had drifted off.

Smirking, Severus walked back to the bed fully intending to put the boy back, but Harry woke as soon as his head hit the pillow.  Severus groaned and picked the child up once more.  He cast another Tempus Charm, it was quarter past seven. 

Good as any time to get up I suppose.  Severus thought letting out a sigh.  He still had no idea how he wanted to spend the rest of the day, but breakfast was a good place to start. 

“Is it too much for you to let me have a least a decent night’s sleep to begin my birthday with Potter?”  Severus asked the baby.

Harry looked at him blankly.

Severus scoffed.  “I thought not.  Tonight perhaps?  That would be an excellent birthday present Potter.”

Harry just continued to stare at his guardian.  Severus rolled his eyes at the toddler’s cluelessness. 

Severus made his way down the hall towards the kitchen.  He set Harry in his highchair.  Severus quickly whipped up eggs with cheese and toast for the both of them, a very strong cup of tea for himself, and milk for Harry.

It was while he was making the eggs that Severus realized that a fresh layer of snow covered the ground.  Smiling softly Severus came up with a plan on how to spend at least part of the morning.

Harry played more with his eggs than ate them, but it was something Severus had come to expect.

Once they finished breakfast Severus headed for the bathroom where he washed Harry’s face and hands, and brushed his teeth and hair.

Severus pulled out the warmest clothes he could find in the child’s wardrobe, a heavy navy blue sweater, a heavy denim jean, wool socks, along with long johns. 

Severus set the boy to dressing himself, while he disappeared down the hall so he could prepare for the day.  Faster than he thought possible, Severus was showered, shaved and dressed and spend the morning out in the snow, or more accurately on the ice.

Severus planned on teaching Harry how to ice skate, an activity the boy’s mother had taught him.  True he had been much older when he had learned, the boy might frustrate easily, and would most defiantly cry when he fell, but there was also a strong possibility the boy would exhaust himself either through tears, or activity that he would take an extra long nap.  It was this reason that Severus decided to follow through with his plan.

Severus came back to Harry’s room to find the boy trying to pull on his jeans, inside out.  Severus let out a sigh and went to help the boy dress properly.  Fifteen minutes later they were at the door, struggling with jacket, mittens, hats and scarves.  Harry wanted none of them, whereas Severus wanted him in all.

“Where we go Sev?” Harry demanded as he attempted to escape the wizard’s grasp.

“Out Potter.  Now stay still!” Severus snapped as he pulled a mitten onto one of the boy’s hands.

Finally, after another ten minutes of fighting the boy was dressed and Severus could pull on his own jacket and gloves.  It was only after they were out the door did he realize that neither of them had skates.  Severus let out a huge sigh and headed back inside to collect his skates from his bedroom.  He knew he could have conjured another pair, that’s what he was going to do for Harry after all.  But Lily had given these to him for his birthday, it was only fitting he use them today.

Finally, they were on their way.  They walked for about fifteen minutes before coming to the lake that Severus and Lily had skated on so many times in their youth.  Severus waved his wand and transfigured two twigs into a pair of skates.  He called Harry back to him, as the boy was now standing at the edge of the lake.

“What those?” Harry asked pointing at the child size skates.

“These, Harry, are ice-skates.  You are going to learn how to skate today.” Severus explained.  “Now come here so I can put them on.”

Harry took a seat on a fallen log as Severus removed his shoes. Harry’s leg shot back as his toes were exposed to the frigid air.  “Cold Sev’us!”  He exclaimed miserably.

Severus took the boy’s foot in hand and rubbed it restoring some warmth before putting on the Heat Charmed skate.  He then repeated the process with the boy’s other foot.  When both skates were one he walked them back over to the lake’s edge, carrying Harry so he would not fall or damage the blades.  He set Harry on the bank in order to pull on his own skates.  When he stood, he was on the ice.  He was a bit wobblier than he remembered, but then again, it had been several years since he’d gone skating.

Harry giggled as Severus wobbled on the skates, not enough to fall, but close.  Severus finally balanced himself, and without falling. 

“Come Harry,” he called.

Harry placed one shaky foot on the ice and fell instantly onto his bottom, but he did not cry. 

“My apologize Harry,” Severus said picking the boy up and setting him back on his feet.  “That was my mistake. Now, let’s try that again.”

Severus skated a few feet away, “Come here Harry.”

Harry lifted one foot as to take a step and ended up face first on the ice.  This time there were tears, but Severus was relieved to see no blood.

“I think we must go about this in some another way,” Severus mumbled to himself as he inspected the toddler’s tear stained face.

“No more do,” Harry cried.

Severus stood back up and lined himself up so his legs were on either side of the boy, “We will continue.  Now, I have an idea, give me your hands, Harry.”

Harry did as he was told and held up both his arms straight up in the air.  Severus took them and brought them back down in front of the boy’s body. 

“Harry, I just want you to hold onto me for now.  I will be holding on so you don’t have to worry about falling this time,” Severus instructed.

Severus raised his foot and pushed back so they glided several feet.  He did this until they completed a lap around the lake.

Severus let go of the boy and arranged it so they were face to face.

“Now, Harry, I want you to try this without me this time.  I want you to bend your knees, lift one foot and lean forward on that side, and then push with the other.  Do you understand?”

“Yes,” Harry said, not understanding at all.

Doing his best to follow his guardian’s instructions Harry lifted one of his feet, leaned forward and tried to push off with the other… and almost ended up falling face first once more.

“You need to bend your knees first Harry,” Severus reminded.

Harry did so. 

“Now lift your left foot,” Severus instructed only to receive a blank look. 

Severus rolled his eyes. “That one,” he pointed.

Harry complied.  “Now lean forward on the other leg.”

Harry did this also. 

“Set you other foot down and push.”

Harry did so and glided about a foot. 

“Good.  Try that with the other foot this time,” Severus said.

Harry was able to do that as well. 

“How about you try skating to me now?” Severus asked already skating away from the boy.

Harry worked his face up into an intense look of concentration and headed towards Severus.  He almost fell several times, but in the end he made it, only to have the man skate off again.  Each time Harry did better.  He had fallen numerous times by the time they called it quits for lunch, but he’d had fun.

Much to his surprise, Severus had had fun as well.  He originally only wanted to tire the boy out, a goal which seemed to have accomplished, but there was also something incredibly fulfilling about teaching Potter how to skate.  It was something very different from the feeling he got when he dealt with his teenage students.  It was much better, more worthwhile. 

They skated back to the lakeside and pulled their shoes back on.  Severus Summoning Harry’s because he was too tired to walk over and get them.  For the same reason, Severus Apperated them home.  After a nice warm lunch of tomato soup, grilled cheese, and hot coco, both wizards settled down on the coach for a much needed and deserved nap.  

It wasn't that bad of a resolution… or birthday after all.  Severus thought to himself, just before falling into complete unconsciousness.

The End.
End Notes:
I don't think this is any good, but if you'd like to tell me otherwise, feel free to. Really, good reviews make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1768