Better Off Forgotten by Scorpia
Summary: Waking up in a vacant field, with no memory of his past, Harry finds himself being dragged to the house of Tobias Snape. Will Harry find his way home, or will Voldemort find him first?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 19998 Read: 19896 Published: 17 Jan 2009 Updated: 14 Mar 2009
Chapter 2: Two Taken, One Returned by Scorpia

The crowd was excited. The Hogwarts students more so then the rest. The champions from the other schools had been injured, and were pulled out of the tournament.

This meant, that either Cedric Diggory would be the Triwizard champion--or, heaven forbid, Harry Potter would.

It was only when professor Snape’s Dark Mark started to burn; that the man thought something had gone wrong. The mark had not throbbed like this since the Dark Lord’s chaotic attacks during the first war.

He very much expected Potter to appear with the golden cup in hand. The brat would no doubt come along with an almost unbelievable story, of how he only survived by pure dumb luck.

He would be lifted on high shoulders while Diggory tried to be a good sport amongst his sour friends. However, Snape found this depressing mental image dimming in the light of new developments.

His eyes met Dumbledore’s. The old blue eyes of the Headmaster trailed down Severus’s arm where the Dark Mark was hidden. Asking the question with his eyes, Dumbledore looked back up for the answer.

He knew of the pain Snape had been feeling in his Dark Mark, and was very careful to keep track of its twinges.

While Snape did not want to be beaten down with negative thinking about the possible return of the Dark Lord, he was sure to inform Dumbledore of the Dark Mark’s actions.

Snape’s eyes roamed over the students gathered in the stands. Bright red caught his eyes and helped him find the youngest Weasley and her brother gathered with Granger. Only the friends of the remaining champions looked worried, and it was understandable as to why.

Last time the tournament happened a teen had died. It was unlikely for it to happen again. Especially after all the precautions the Hogwarts staff had taken and the added safety from the other school and ministry, but friends of the last champions were still anxious.

Moreover, Potter and Diggory had been in the maze for a longer time then anyone had expected.

Looking away, Snape did a swift check over the Hogwarts staff. If he had turned a second later, it was likely he would have missed the quick gulp Moody took from his hipflask. Snape frowned more prominently. There was something nagging him about that hipflask, he had never known the man to drink so often….

Before the Potions master could think too much on the subject, the Hogwarts champion arrived.

There was a deadly silence as everyone gazed in horror struck awe at the scene that had appeared before them.

Suspended in the air, and swinging from invisible cords, Cedric Diggory was hanging limply.

High above his head, the deadly Dark Mark hung in the sky. The green hues from it highlighted the dark sky and cast a tint on Diggory’s motionless face. Before others even had time to process what had happened; the screaming started.

It came from Diggory’s mother. She was screaming. Scrambling through the crowd and toward her son.

Her cries awoke the rest of the audience. Then, it became complete pandemonium. A nightmare come true, and a mother’s worst fear fulfilled.

Snape stood, one of the few people who were not gaping in horror and confusion, or crying. Dumbledore moved through the crowd faster then one would think and old man could. Snape was right behind him.

It seemed Snape’s earlier logic was wrong, for Diggory was dead. And if the Dark Mark was anything to go by, his death wouldn’t be the last.

Snape searched the area around Diggory’s floating body for Potter’s corpse. He saw none.

This meant either one of three things. One, the Dark Lord was killing Potter slowly. Two, he was going to keep Potter’s body for reasons unknown. Or three, Potter was not dead yet.

While Snape thought the Dark Lord would want to get it over with and just kill Potter, he was known for making his captives miserable first.

Diggory’s father was holding his wife back from getting any closer to their dead son. His face was stricken and pale, his wife sobbing in his arms.

“Cedrrrric, not Cedric!” She moaned.

Snape hurried to catch the headmaster.

“Where’s Harry?” Dumbledore said as he looked around. Only his eyes showed how frantic he was feeling about the missing Boy-Who-Lived.

Fudge was staring between Cedric’s body and the crowd while saying, “I’m sure he’s fine--just--just injured I’m sure!”

The audience was screaming, girls were crying, no one heeded the ignorant words of the Minister of Magic. All of them knew it could not be true. No one was left alive when the Dark Mark was involved.

The rest of the Hogwarts staff were starting to move. “Get the students inside!” Professor McGonagall called to the Prefects and other teachers.

The younger students were crying. While a few prefects were shaken out of their shock and hurried to gather the students. Dumbledore waved his wand under Diggory’s body.

“He’s returned,” Snape said after casting a privacy spell. The air reeked of dark magic, and his Dark Mark was tingling painfully.

“I’m afraid so,” Dumbledore said quietly as he finally released the spells that held the Hufflepuff in the air. “You’ll have to report to him soon Severus, I’m sorry.”

Snape’s face hardened at the whispered words. The Headmaster only met his eyes for as second before going back to taking care of Diggory.

Behind them McGonagall was still shouting orders, “Take the Diggory’s to Poppy.”

A tearful looking Herbology teacher did just that, but Amos Diggory was quickly making his way over. “Dumbledore, tell me he’s not…?” Amos swallowed his words as he came closer.

“I’m sorry Amos,” Dumbledore said quietly. The man balked violently.

“No, it’s not true--I won’t believe it!” Mr. Diggory said loudly. He was shaking, his voice stuttered out barely recognizable words.

One of the Hogwarts staff stupefied the hysterical man, and then put him on a stretcher to carry him to the hospital wing.

“He’s called me Albus, he has returned. Should I go now?” Snape muttered as Dumbledore covered Cedric’s body with a white sheet that appeared from his wand.

“Put him in a separate room of the Hospital Wing,” the Headmaster said to a pale McGonagall before turning to Snape.

“I think it’s too soon for you to return Severus,” Dumbledore said under his breath.

Fudge was rambling, and Aurors were running through the gates. No doubt they were called by someone in Hogsmeade who had seen the Dark Mark.

“It is too soon,” Dumbledore repeated, “He would know I need you here, you will likely die if you go now. He would have already killed Harry if he was going to do so, I don’t think he is not foolish in that regard.”

“I’m not as certain Albus,” Snape said as he looked around the grounds. “He’s been in a non-human form for so long, he may wish Potter to suffer. Or he’s already killed the boy and will save his corpse as a trophy.”

Dumbledore closed his eyes, “Merlin help us if he has.”

Snape stared at Dumbledore, a faint sneer on his face. Anyone that could see knew Dumbledore was fond of the Boy-Who-Lived. The potions master couldn’t see anything extraordinary about the boy.

He was always in the midst of trouble, a rule breaker, and disrespectful. No, there was nothing exceptional about the boy. Even now Snape wouldn’t put it past Potter to be perfectly fine. Probably escaped from the Dark Lord and asleep somewhere while everyone else ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Dumbledore peered at Snape and the potions master stared back. The Headmasters face told Snape he had a good idea what his thoughts were about--or who they were about.

“You know just as well as I do what the Wizarding world would be like if Harry was discovered dead,” Dumbledore murmured. He looked around, before turning back to Snape who nodded reluctantly.

“Complete chaos Severus,” Dumbledore continued. “Now someone here, with access to the maze caused this to happen.”

Snape’s gaze immediately went to Moody, his dim suspicions about the man’s hip flask coming back to mind.

“Surely if a killing curse was shot in the maze we would have known Albus. I saw no markings on Diggory, the only way he could look like that and be dead is the killing curse. He must have been transported somewhere else to be murdered. Perhaps Potter is still in the maze?” Snape’s questions brought a thoughtful look to Dumbledore’s face.

“I’ll have Hagrid check the maze,” Dumbledore said. He cast Expecto Patronum and sent his patronus off to deliver a message to the teacher and groundskeeper.

Turning away, Snape let his curiosity lead him to the Triwizard Cup that Auror’s had blocked of by casting a repelling charm around the object.

Kingsley Shacklebolt was casting charms in the cup, his face grim. “It’s an unauthorized portkey,” he said as Snape came closer.

“Can you tell if Potter touched it as well?” Snape asked.

Imediantly Kingsley shook his head. “I’ve already thought of that, it will take some time, but it can be done.”

“Is it a one use portkey?” Snape asked. Kingsley looked up.

“Yes, it should be harmless as well, but we are taking extra precautions before touching it,” the Auror said.

Snape returned to Dumbledore who was talking to Moody. “--there’s no way of telling if Potter’s dead then?” Moody was asking.

“Not at the moment,” Dumbledore said. Moody grunted, his fake eye swiveling around to watch the Auror’s and others suspiciously.

“Karkaroff’s run off,” Moody said. Disgust was in his voice, “Afraid no doubt,” the grissled man continued.

“I have to admit that I‘m skeptic as to how far he can run,” Dumbledore said.

“Voldemort’ll be looking for his lost Death Eaters,” Moody said. Both eyes looked at Snape who raised an eyebrow. “I suspect he’ll also be rewarding those who have remained loyal to him.”

Snape watched at Moody took out his hip flask again and turned away to take a drink. Dark eyebrows lowered as Snape estimated how long ago it had been since Moody had taken a drink, almost forty minutes he guessed.

There was something about it that was bothering him.

He never liked Mad-Eye; and he was sure he never would, but Snape was sure it was not a grudge that made him keep his suspicious of the old Auror.

“The Dark Lord isn’t patient, those that don’t report to him quickly will be considered lost and punished when found,” Snape said easily. The words were formed from curiosity, he wished to see how Moody would react.

The Mad-Eye Moody he knew; would be saying the Death Eaters deserved whatever punishments Voldemort handed them, and more…but, he didn’t say a thing. The man was pale looking, he stared straight ahead with both his magical eye and his normal one.

Snape excused himself and made for the castle, Dumbledore was once again conversing with Moody before he was five steps away.

As he walked, more bits of information came to him. The honest look Potter had given him when Snape had accused him of stealing the gillyweed came back to Snape. Then, to further add to his suspicions, the incident with that parchment he was sure belonged to Potter came to mind.

The way Moody had suddenly remembered it was his own, and the egg that had to be Potter’s as well. He knew Moody must have known Potter was there, his magical eye could see through Invisibility Cloaks.

What if Moody had been the one to break into his cabinet? But why would he do so much to help Potter?

Snape reached his office and flung open the door. His mind turning like an engine, he paced trying to make sense out of the situation.

The only way to get the answers he needed was to return to the Dark Lord. But Dumbledore was right, he couldn’t return immediately--no matter the consequences Potter would suffer from their descision.

If he went to early his life could be put in jeopardy like Potter’s most likely was.

His mind came back to that dirty parchment he had seen Potter with in third year. Snape had to know what it did, was there anything that it could help him with? There were ideas in his mind as to what it did, but he needed to make certain. He had to know.

Coming to a descision, Snape stalked out of his office and to the Gryffindor Tower.

His dark expression and stride frightened the few wandering prefects out of the way. The Fat Lady stared at him in surprised suspiscion as he reached her portait.

Snape spat out the password. All teachers were told the passwords for each house, it was in case of emergency situations, and Snape considered this important enough.

While she looked hesitant, the Fat Lady opened up her portrait. Climbing through, Snape ignored all the horrified faces of the Gryffindor house. It seemed they had all gathered in the room to take comfort from one another.

In the middle of the huddle were the two Snape wanted to speak to. “Weasley, Granger, follow me now,” he said to the pale friends. Without waiting for their reply, he headed toward the staircase that would lead him to the boy’s dormitories.

He heard the two Gryffindors follow him slowly. At the top of the stairs, Snape quickly went to the dormitory Potter slept in and threw open the door.

“Out, now,” he growled at Longbottom who was the only one in the room. The boy seemed to muffle a scream of fright as he fled the room, running faster then Snape had ever seen him.

Right as he left, Weasley and Granger entered. “Has something happened Proffesor? Have they found Harry?” Granger asked, she looked frantic and Weasley didn’t look much better.

“No Granger,” Snape said and saw out of the corner of his eyes as the girl seemed to deflate.

“Then what do you want?” Weasley asked rudely. He seemed offended that Potions Master had no good news for them.

“Watch it Weasley,” Snape said warningly as he spotted Potter’s trunk. It was easy to spot with Potter’s initials carved in the front. He drew his wand and pointed it at Potter’s trunk.

The lid flew open at the unlocking charm he used.

“Hey! That’s Harry’s trunk, leave it alone,” Weasley said, his face turning red with irritation.

“Weasley,” Snape said as patiently as his the growing thob in his head would allow him. “Potter owns an old parchment, a map--” the stiffening from both Gryffindors showed him they knew of what he spoke.

“You know what I’m talking about,” he said. Gryffindor wore their emotions on their sleeves.

Granger nodded, she looked curious, but not near as suspicious as Weasley. Good, maybe one of them had enough sense to give him some answers.

“I need to see that parchment,” Snape said.

To his irrataion, Weasley snorted and crossed his arms. “Why?” Granger asked and ignored the look of disbelief being shot at her by Weasley.

“There is an imposter in Hogwarts, most likely a staff member. I need that map if you ever want to see Potter alive again,” Snape said.

Granger paled, “Harry gave it to Proffesor Moody,” she gasped out. “We don’t have it”

“What does it do?” Snape asked, his suspicions were already being confirmed.

“It--it shows the inhabitants of Hogwarts,” Granger stuttered out.

“Can it be tricked?” Snape pressed.

“No--I’m pretty sure it can’t be.”

“Did Moody say why he wanted it?” Snape doubted Granger had an answer that would help him, but he asked anyway

“He told Harry it was what he had been looking for.”

Snape nodded, and without another word he swept out of the room and down the stairs. He could hear Weasley grilling Granger about why he had told the ‘greasy git’ anything, and had to stop himself from smirking.

Snape needed to find Dumbledore, or get the keyes to Moody’s room somehow. The Proffesor doubted that the headmaster would take drastic action against Moody unless he was sure.

He need something more.

Moody took the map away from Potter to hold the secret of his identity, that had to be it, he couldn’t see any other solution.

Snape past through doors that led outside, Moody and Dumbledore were making their way to him. As Snape caught sight of the hipflask, gleaming silver in the light of the slowly rising moon, he made a sudden decision.

Accio hipflask!” said Snape in a fierce voice. Moody was too far away to hear the spell, but he looked up in alarm when the hipflask he was never seen without; flew straight into Snape’s waiting hand.

Quickly unscrewing the top, Snape smelt of the remaining liquid inside just as the Moody impersonator fired Impedimenta at him.

“It Polyjuice Albus,” Snape snarled loudly after he blocked the spell.

Out of trust; Dumbledore turned on Moody and cast two spells silently, and quickly.

The surprise of being lifted into the air, made the Moody imposter pause long enough for the disarming spell to hit him.

Petrificus Totalus!” Snape cast and the squirming man froze. To add to the security, Dumbledore stunned the floating man who instantly went limp.

Fudge and Auror’s were hurrying over. “What--what’s happened here!” Fudge asked as he stared at Moody’s still floating form. “Dumbledore explain!”

“Cornelius, let’s take this inside. Severus, it seems we’re in need of some Veritaserum--or whatever the strongest Truth Potion you have is. I‘ll be in Moody‘s rooms,” Dumbledore said.

Snape nodded, and without a glance back, he headed back to his dungeons while Dumbledore floated the unconscious imposter inside.

After Snape retrieved the Veritaserum from his private stocks, he swiftly climbed the stairs to Moody’s rooms.

Dumbledore was in the process of going through a set of keys when Snape arrived in Moody’s rooms. The imposter was lying on the floor in an uncomfortable position, most likely where Dumbledore had dropped him.

Snape’s mouth twitch in faint amusement before adjusting back to it’s usual cold expression. This was not the appropriate time for humor, not even from a man that had not laughed in…well, a long time.

McGonagall was watching Dumbledore, but her steady wand was trained on the imposter.

Snape stepped further into the room, the Veritaserum in hand. “He hasn’t moved?” he asked McGonagall.

The Transfiguration teacher shook her head, “Your stun got the spell done well Severus,” she said. “Can’t help but wish he had woken up; if for nothing else, then just so I can knock him out again,” she grumbled.

Dumbledore unlocked the trunk again, but instead of shutting it and trying again, he peered into the empty expanse before him. “He’s here. Minerva, we are going to need the expertise--”

“I’ve already called Poppy, Albus,” McGonagall said. “She is on her way as soon as she settles in the Diggorys.”

Dumbledore nodded and stood from his kneeling position. “Severus, I’ll need your help,” he said as he climbed into the trunk, lowered himself and dropped to the dusty ground.

Snape climbed in after him. Moody looked terrible. His hair was uneven from where the imposter had cut his hair all year long, his wooden leg was missing and it was the same for his magical eye.

He was skinny, dirty and unconscious. “He’s weak, but not in immediate danger,” Dumbledore said to Snape.

Snape looked over the Auror, and cast a diagnosus spell. “He’s been under the Imperius Curse,” Snape said.

Dumbeldore frowned, “I’m very curious…. Raise Alastor out of here will you Severus? I want to see just who our imposter is.”

Snape nodded and waited until Dumbledore had climbed out before he once again cast Mobilicorpus. Carefully floating the man out of the trunk, Severus climbed out all the while keeping his hand steady on Moody’s form.

Madam Pomfrey was waiting when he finished ascended. The mediwitch covered her mouth with her hand, “Oh, goodness! Here Severus, let me take him from you--there, thank you.”

Snape didn’t respond at first, but Madam Pomfrey was used to him not saying much--unless it was an insult or involved work. She transferred Moody from the floating spell onto a floating stretcher.

“Mercy me, if it’s not one thing it’s another,” she mumered softly looking between Moody and the imposter which still lay on the floor.

“Moody’s been under Imperious, unless you want him mindless I suggest you don’t give him any sleeping potions for at least a few hours,” Snape said as Pomfrey started to take Moody away.

“I know how to treat my patients Severus,” Pomfrey said testily.

Severus couldn’t stop the self-satisfied expression on his face--or maybe he could have and just didn’t want to. Pomfrey huffed and after sending him a half-hearted glare, she left.

“I wish I knew when he last took Polyjuice,” Dumbledore said as he pulled the imposter to a slumped sitting position.

Snape cast a time telling charm, “I assume it was twenty minutes ago since his last drink. You’ll have to wait for the affects to wear off,” he said.

The Dark Mark burned suddenly, Snape’s hand quickly clasped it. Sometimes it helped ease the pain…and the feeling that everyone could see it.

Snape looked up from his burning arm to Dumbledore who was watching him. “Get ready Severus, avoiding Voldemort will only endanger you more--I suggest you leave early tomorrow,” the headmaster said.

“I think he is more dangerous then before Albus. The Dark Mark has never burned this bad before,” Snape said. The itchy, scalding feeling had numbed part of his arm, and had been tingling for a long while.

“Depending on how he got back, he may just be more powerful Severus. I’m afraid we won’t know how that happened until you get back….I am sorry that you have to return to your past position Severus,” Dumbledore said. “I never wanted you to return to him.”

Snape could tell by the coldness of his skin, that he was pale. Anyone that had to bow to a monster would be frightened--especially since this monster was not the least bit forgiving.

“Go,” Dumbledore said with a sigh as he turned to the still unconscious imposter that still looked like Moody. “Check your Occlumency shields Severus, he will no doubt test them. I’ll show you what I learn from this imposter when you return.”

“I’ll do that Albus,” Snape said. He turned and left the room.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope I did not make Snape incredibly OOC. O_O
I would appreciate comments on how to perfect his character, if anyone has any suggestions. Please review?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1770