Better Off Forgotten by Scorpia
Summary: Waking up in a vacant field, with no memory of his past, Harry finds himself being dragged to the house of Tobias Snape. Will Harry find his way home, or will Voldemort find him first?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 19998 Read: 19891 Published: 17 Jan 2009 Updated: 14 Mar 2009
Chapter 5: Curiosity Makes Trouble by Scorpia
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own any of Edgar Allen Poe’s material, so don’t hurt me for the brief reference.

“Kill the spare,” the horrible voice commanded. Someone answered the command. In that moment, because of three words, a life was lost.

Words molded together. “It is ready, Master,” “Hurry!”

A horrible scene. Tombstones, dying grass, a dead friend. Blood forcible taken, someone screaming and the memory of being hurt. A hand willingly cut off. Red eyes, staring and cold.

“Robe me.”

Jesse awoke with a start. He remembered the dream it was fresh in his mind--then it started fading.

Red eyes…no there were no eyes, they were gone now. What had the dream been about? Jesse was feeling frustrated as he forgot he dream. This could be a clue to his past and it was fleeing his mind.

Something terrible, blood of the--nothing. The dream was gone and his memory of it.

Jesse could remember that it was a nightmare. His heart was still beating heavily, a sheen of sweat cooled his skin as he sat up.

The details of the dream were gone, all he remembered was the sense that something major was happening before his eyes. The nightmare was important, a very dramatic detail of his forgotten past.

And he had no idea what it was.

Sighing, Jesse pulled he knees up to his chest and laid his head on them. A childish gesture maybe, but one that felt right for the occasion.

His head throbbed gently. It was another headache that seemed to come from that silly looking scar he had noticed the other day.

The warmth that cocooned him while he was sleeping was gone now. Jesse remembered waking in the night to find Fendi asleep on his chest. He wondered where the sheepdog had gone.

Curious about the eerie quiet that surrounded him, Jesse got out of bed. Putting his cracked glasses on, he moved toward the door.

Jesse looked around the corner of the doorway, he could see the living room and the door that probably led to the kitchen. Tobias was no where in sight.

Jesse walked into the living room. His dirty clothes rough against his skin as he moved.

He reminded himself to ask Tobias for some clean clothes when he found the man. Moving into the kitchen, Jesse looked around. Old wooden cabinets, dusty floor, a table for two and a fridge. The kitchen was small, but homely.

Jesse opened a door to find a fully stocked cupboard. Mostly it was filled with canned vegetable and soups, there was dried meat, dry milk and other stable food products.

Shutting the door, Jesse was drawn to the window. The sun was up and he guessed it was around seven in the morning. The chickens he had seen yesterday were no where in sight, but as he watched, a solitary goat walked past the house.

Deciding to look for Tobias outside, Jesse went back to the bedroom to put on his shoes.

He found Tobias feeding the chickens a few minutes later. The chicken house was small, about the size of Jesse’s bedroom.

But the coop was only for sleeping in, it seemed that Tobias let the chickens wander during the day.

“I see you’re finally up,” Tobias said as he caught sight of Jesse.

“Yes, sir,” Jesse said. He ignored the ‘finally up’ part. “Can I help you with anything?”

“You can go get those sheets off your bed. I’ll draw you some water and you can wash them, and after that you can have a bath yourself.”

Jesse bit his lip but didn‘t speak.

“You look like you’ve been impersonating a pig, and you’ve gone all the way if your clothes are anything to go by,” Tobias said with a crinkle of his nose as he came away from the chickens.

Jesse looked down at himself. Personally he thought the pig comment was a little much, but it was true that he looked a mess.

Even Fendi was neater than him at the moment, and the dog was currently rolling around in the dirt.

“I would have changed but I don’t have any clothes except these,” he said with a helpless shrug.

“I called Isaac, Isaac Dane that is, he’s the doctor that will be coming over later. I asked him to bring some clothes for you. His son is about your age,” Tobias said.

“Thanks,” Jesse said, “I was beginning to wonder how long I’d have to wear these.”

“I was beginning to wonder how long I’d have to smell you,” Tobias muttered and Jesse snickered. “Know how to cook?” the man asked suddenly.

Jesse had to pause and think, truthfully he had no idea. He did have the memory problem and that pretty much kept him from knowing. “For all I know I could have been a chef, sir,” he told Tobias with a half hearted smile.

“I doubt that,” Tobias said as they entered the house. “I know one boy who’s good in the kitchen. Only one I know of, except me that is. I’m like poetry in motion when it comes to cooking,” Tobias said seriously.

Jesse found himself choking on laughter, and Tobias smacked him on the back to help him. The black haired boy thought it was probably pay back for his obvious disbelief and amusement.

“Poetry in motion, eh?” he said dryly.

Nodding, Tobias grinned at him. “And since I have no choice but keep you here for the moment, you get a front seat for the show.”

Jesse wasn’t sure this was a good thing.

It turned out Jesse was wrong, terribly, horribly wrong. Tobias was not just a bad cook, he was an appallingly bad one.

“If you’ve seen my cupboard, you know why most of it is canned,” Tobias said wryly.

Jesse was gazing in terrified awe at the kitchen stove. The attempt at scrambled eggs was inedible. Even he knew that eggs were not supposed to be black, and somehow batter had ended up on the ceiling.

A bit of it was dripping onto the floor every few seconds.

The man had proved that his words were right, he was poetry in motion, but Jesse imagined it was an Edger Allen Poe poem. Something along the lines of, I shall never look at the wondrous chicken egg the same way again. How can I, now that I have seen it at it’s worst? I think it was better off staying in the chicken’s arse.

Jesse chuckled in childish delight at his thoughts and avoided Tobias’s prying gaze.

Or, man is a wonderful creation, but in the process of watching one in the kitchen, I have given up on this species.

Jesse knew he had read some of Poe’s poetry somewhere, even though he could not remember when or where. He did remember that most of it was grim and left one feeling depressed. Nothing could possibly be more depressing than the kitchen scene before him. Especially when he knew someone would have to clean it up.

“How is it you’re still alive if you have to live off your…cooking?” Jesse asked.

Shrugging, Tobias peered up at the batter on the ceiling. “I don’t eat much, there’s an apple orchard that a friend of mine owns, I usually go up there for breakfast. Then sometimes the wives of some neighbors bring bread, and canned fruits. I eat light.”

Jesse frowned. “Did you just show me how bad a cook you are so I would cook for you?” he asked.

Tobias laughed lightly, “You said you don’t remember cooking, for all I know you could be worse than me.”

Jesse made a face. “I find that hard to believe.”

Tobias threw an apple at him, Jesse caught it easily.

The man looked at him in slight surprise. “Fast reactions, that’s…good Jesse.”

Shrugging, Jesse went to the sink and washed the red apple before taking a big bite. Tobias grabbed an apple from the bowl on the table as well.

“Simple usually is best,” Jesse heard Tobias mutter. He grinned and turned away from the resigned looking man.

They moved to the living room where Tobias told Jesse to sit and wait for Dr. Dane.

“I don’t want that leg worse than it already is, I should have told you to just stay in bed,” Tobias said as he sat across from Jesse.

“I’m glad you didn’t,” Jesse said. “I don’t think I would be able to stay in bed all day,” he gave a theatric shudder.

“Thank you for letting me spend the night, it was very kind of you,” Jesse said. He felt very grateful, the man didn’t know him and yet he had been kind and generous.

Tobias grunted as he stood, “Well, you haven’t tried to kill me yet so that‘s good,” he said dryly to a wide eyes Jesse. “Plus, Fendi found you and that dog is a good judge of character, so I imagine you can’t be too bad.”

Fendi started barking outside the door at that moment. “Speak of the devil,” Tobias muttered and then Jesse heard the sound of a vehicle pulling up the driveway.

“Makes a good watch dog as well,” Tobias said to Jesse before telling him to sit still as he went outside.

Jesse obeyed and sat still as Tobias greeted his friend outside. He could hear them conversing in low voices and Jesse bit his lip. They were probably talking about him, he hated the feeling that the information gave him.

Tobias had just told him that he had to be all right if Fendi liked him, but--that didn’t reassure Jesse. He liked the dog, but he would have rather had Tobias’s good opinion.

Dr. Dane came through the door, a medical bag in hand and Tobias right behind him.

“Hello there,” he said to Jesse with a bright smile. He was holding out his hand.

“I’m Isaac Dane, the local doctor of our little town. I’d like to take a look at your leg, if you don’t mind?”

Jesse shook the man’s hand, “Jesse, just Jesse and I’d be really happy if you would look at my leg,” he said with a laugh. “I’m kind of worried about it,” he added.

Isaac nodded, “I can understand, if the description is anything like what Tobias here told me I’d be worried as well.”

The doctor lifted Jesse’s leg pushed apart the torn trousers with a dry look, “I can see why you asked for those close Tobias,” he said.

His part smile quickly faded as he looked at Jesse’s leg. The wounds seemed to be trying to heal, but the discoloration around the wound was still there.

The doctor poked and prodded gently for a few minutes. There was a frown on his face that Jesse didn’t like.

“It looks like--well, If I’m not mistakes it’s a spider bite, but I’ve never seen anything like this,” he looked up into Jesse’s green eyes.

“Do you know what kind of spider it is Jess?” Isaac asked with a hopeful look.

Jesse blinked at the nickname, but shook his head in answer, “Sorry sir, I can’t remember anything prior to waking up in Mr. Snape’s field.”

“Oh yes, your amnesia,” Isaac shared a look with Tobias before looking back. “I’m sorry to sound doubtful, but are you sure?”

A bit frustrated, Jesse nodded. “I’ve tried sir, and--I had a nightmare that seemed important, but when I woke up I couldn’t remember any details. I’m sorry that I can’t tell you anything--I just can’t remember!”

Isaac patted Jesse’s knee calmingly, “It’s alright lad, I’m sure it’ll come back to you, give it some time.”

Jesse sighed and looked away. He hated the feeling of helplessness.

Opening his bag, Isaac started mending Jesse’s leg. “After I do this I’ll take a look at your head, it’s likely that if you have amnesia it’s because of a head injury.”

Jesse remembered his headache from earlier and moved a hand up to rub at the scar.

“I need some hot water Tobias, I want to clean this good before I bandage it,” Isaac explained to Jesse.

“Can I sit back?” Jesse asked and Isaac nodded and held his leg up as he scooted back in the arm chair.

Tobias brought back a bowl of steamy water and a flannel. “Thanks,” Isaac said as he took it and started soaking the flannel.

Fendi came over to Jesse from out of nowhere and licked his hand. Jesse grinned and petted the dog’s head.

The doctor was done washing soon and began applying a salve, Tobias watch avidly from behind his shoulder. By the time Isaac had began to wrap the wound, Jesse was feeling quite content--if a bit itchy in his clothes.

Isaac looked up as Jesse shifted to scratch his back and grinned. “You’ll need a bath if you plan on keeping this clean and unaffected, I’ll leave some extra bandages so you can rewrap it later.”

Tobias nodded, “I hope you brought some of Samuel’s clothes, because mine won’t fit Jesse.”

Isaac nodded, “I did, you can get the out of my bag. Martha insisted on packing three of everything,” he said with a roll of his eyes.

Tobias smiled and reached into the doctor bag for the clothes.

Isaac started examining Jesse’s head with his hands. Jesse watched as Tobias brought out more clothes than he could have hoped for, there was even socks and a jumper. It appeared Jesse owed thanks to whomever Martha was.

Jesse waited impatiently for when Isaac would find a bump on his head that would explain his condition…but it never came.

“I can’t find anything to explain your condition Jess,” the doctor said and he ran is tongue over his lips.

“I saw him fall on his head in the field, could that have caused it?” Tobias asked.

Pausing momentarily, Isaac ran his thumb over the scar on Jesse’s forehead with a thoughtful look. “That’s very unlikely, he would have a bruise or a bump if it was serious. Do you know where you got this scar?”

Jesse shook his head, “No sir. Silly looking thing though isn’t it?”

Smiling, Isaac pulled his hand away. “It’s very unique, I bet no one else has one like it.”

Leaving Jesse with that thought, Isaac headed toward the kitchen, “I’d like to see you before I go Tobias.”

Tobias put the clothes in his hands beside Jesse and followed Isaac.

Having a good idea as to what the doctor wanted to talk about, Jesse moved forward to get out of the chair. He hoped that Fendi wouldn’t start barking. The dog looked at him lazily from where he was laying with his head on his paws but did nothing.

Biting his lip in anxiousness, Jesse stood all the while watching Fendi.

The dog seemed to raise an eyebrow.

Then Fendi let loose a doggy sigh that seemed to say, ‘You’re going to get in trouble, just remember I tried to warn you.’

Careful not to put too much weight on his injured leg, Jesse walked toward the kitchen door.

When he was close enough, he leaned forward and listened. “--if it is amnesia, I’m betting it’s post-traumatic amnesia. He shows no sign of brain damage, and that is the main cause of amnesia.”

It was the doctor speaking, Tobias made a sound of irritation. “You can get amnesia from alcohol can’t you? I hate to think the worst of the boy, he seems like a good kid, but it’s all very….” he didn’t seem to know how to finish.

“You can get amnesia that way, but I find that hard to believe. First, he would only have forgotten new memories, he would still be able to remember his name and most things he says he’s forgotten,” Isaac said and he sighed.

Jesse heard Tobias start pacing. “Isaac, you saw the bruises and the injuries beside the spider bite. I think the boy might be running from somebody. His ‘forgetfulness’ has basically given him a new life and a new name.”

Isaac was silent for a while. “That makes sense, but where are his parents? You know how far he would have had to run to get here? I know everyone around here Tobias, and I’ve never seen that boy before.”

“Maybe someone dropped him here,” Tobias said grimly.

“What?”

“Someone could have dropped him here, there’s a road that runs very near where I found him,” Tobias said.

“Do you think his parents would be that cruel--” Isaac cut himself off and Jesse was scared he was going to be found out. The doctor continued speaking.

“He looks like he’s been through a lot Tobias. It could be that one of his parents dropped him here or a guardian, he would probably be too ashamed to tell the truth so he made up a story about amnesia,” Isaac said.

“Hmm, there are a lot of possibilities. But what am I going to do with him? I haven’t taken care of anybody for a very long time.”

“Maybe it’s time you started doing it again,” Isaac suggested. “Just for a few days. I think by that time he would have told you the truth if he‘s lying.”

“You’re not worried about him stealing something a running away are you?” Isaac added.

Jesse closed his eyes, and waited for the answer.

“I don’t know Isaac,” Tobias said with a sigh. “Fendi watched him most of last night, he slept all the way until morning. And by the look of it, I’ll have to put him up for another night. So…no, I’m not too worried about him stealing. Even if he did try to take something he wouldn’t get far.”

“You’re right about that, I just don’t like the idea of leaving you here with someone who could potentially be dangerous.”

Tobias snorted, “What harm can he do? Trouble doesn’t find us often out here, I’ll keep a close eye on him, Fendi will help--even though I may need to cut the hair around his eyes.”

Isaac laughed softly, “Well, just remember that you have my number and I can send Samuel over to help you with anything, you know he’d be glad to help.”

“You got a good boy Isaac. Let’s go back in there before Jesse get’s bored and starts wandering around on that leg,” Tobias said.

Jesse’s eyes widened and he more or less ran back to his chair. He reached the chair by the skin of his teeth.

Fendi looked up again as Jesse fell into the chair, he seemed disgruntled and snorted softly before going back to sleep.

Tobias came in, and his eyes narrowed when he caught sight of Jesse’s flushed face. Isaac came in right after Tobias but didn’t notice Tobias’s expression or Jesse’s guilty face.

“Just make you stay off that leg as much as possibly for a few days and the swelling should stop. You’ll be good as new very soon, you people always are,” the doctor said as he packed his medical bag.

“But that’s only if you stay of that leg,” Tobias said with a raised eyebrow. “You think you can do that Jesse?”

Not able to speak, Jesse only nodded and tried to smile.

“Well, I guess I better go. Take care of yourself Jess,” Isaac said and Tobias walked him out to his vehicle.

While the men were outside, Jesse was inside trying not to look guilty.

When he came back through the door, Tobias stared at Jesse for a minute.

“I’m sorry!” Jesse burst out as the pressure got to be too much. “It’s just…I had to know if he was holding back anything. I want to know what’s wrong with me--and I swear I’m not here to steal anything from you! I don’t think I’ve ever even seen you before, but I can’t know for sure because my head’s messed up!”

Tobias’s anger seemed to diminish, “I can understand curiosity, but you heard Isaac. He told you to stay off that leg, and the first thing you do is go wobbling across the room! Am I going to have to make Fendi watch you all day and night?”

“No,” Jesse muttered.

Tobias nodded, “I hoped you would say that. Now, I’m going to help you outside where you can sit and pull weeds, I won’t have you sitting in the bed all day--you aren’t that bad off.”

Jesse sighed and let Tobias pull him to his feet. The walked outside together.

To be continued...
End Notes:
There once was a youngster named Stu
Who simply refused to review
His computer broke down
And the next day he drowned
So let that be a lesson to you

Ahh, limericks…even the scary ones are cute. Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1770