Resolution by wellyuthink
Summary: The time has come to go back to Hogwarts, but is Harry ready? Struggling to deal with the loss of Shadow, the alarming discovery of his paternity and the problems created by a newly risen Voldemort, the coming term proves to be the most difficult one that Harry has ever faced. Sequel to 'Know Thyself'
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: None
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: Evolution
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 90442 Read: 115414 Published: 31 Jan 2009 Updated: 18 Nov 2012
Lily Tells All by wellyuthink

The hospital room looked comfortable and airy; its floor was clean and shiny and the windows were open to a Muggle London street through which a shaft of yellow sunshine had found its way. The bed itself was strewn with a few more pillows than may have been strictly allowed, and lying on the bed…

Lily was smiling down at the tiny bundle sleeping in her arms.

And then she looked up, straight at Severus.

“Hello, love.”

Severus felt his throat close up. It was almost like seeing her for real again after all these years, and even though Severus had braced himself for it, he was surprised by how much he wanted.

Lily pointed at the chair beside her bed. “Have a seat over here. Then I’ll know where to look while I talk. I understand I’ve got an awful lot to explain.”

Severus sank down obediently into the chair and stared straight into memory-Lily’s eyes, shocked she still knew at which angle to look in order to meet his eyes, despite the fact she hadn’t seen him for months.

“Thank you. I’m sorry – I won’t have long. Not near long enough to say everything I want to say to you, anyway. James has gone to tell his friends and celebrate, but he’ll be back soon…” Lily sighed and looked back at the bundle in her arms. “I didn’t want you here to talk about James. Severus–” She looked up and bit her lip, a radiant smile starting at the corner of her mouth. “Say hello to your son. Our baby boy.”

She leaned forward and for the first time, Severus saw the baby’s face. Tiny and formless and so helpless. Harry. Severus scrubbed a hand across his face viciously and tried to pretend he wasn’t crying.

“Isn’t he perfect, Sev? Isn’t he beautiful?” Lily sniffed and appeared to be holding back her own tears. “I really wish you could be here to see him – the first time I mean. I’ll just have to comfort myself with the thought that you will share this with me eventually.”

Severus nodded silently and desperately wanted to lean in – to hold them both. This right here was everything he’d ever wanted.

“I can already tell he’s going to look very like you, love. But he has my eyes. I think I’ll keep those when I cast the spell to hide his true appearance. It won’t hurt him, but it’ll keep him safer from You-Know-Who. You understand why, don’t you?”

She bit her lip. “If You-Know-Who finds out one of his followers has a child… He’d force you to get Harry to join the ranks the second the boy could use a wand, and if you refused, he’d kill you, Sev. And then probably Harry too. Because of what I’ve done – prolonging the pregnancy, marrying James – you’ll never be put in that horrible position, regardless of whether I’m still around or not. But still, can you ever forgive me?”

“Of course.” Severus’ voice was very quiet so he was able to pretend that was why she hadn’t heard him. A tear slipped down her cheek as she gazed at her baby. Their baby.

“But… This isn’t entirely why I need to leave you this message, Sev. Not only do I need to tell you that Harry Potter is in actuality Harry Snape, but there is something much more important I need to tell you about him. Our baby needs a lot more protection than I ever originally imagined; from people who once might have helped him.

“They haven’t examined him thoroughly here at St Mungo’s yet – only the things that are done in Muggle hospitals like weight, reaction time, measurements. I can’t let them examine him with magic yet.

“You know, all through my pregnancy, I was sure I was carrying twins. I was so shocked when they told me I’d only be having one baby. I couldn’t understand it. So I did some research – a lot of research in fact.” Lily gave him a sheepish smile. “You know what I can be like.”

Severus rolled his eyes, and tried not to crack a smile at the image of a very pregnant Lily poring over stacks and stacks of books.

“It didn’t take all that much searching to find out why, though I didn’t realise it until I held him in my arms. It was in one of those awful books which tell you everything that can go wrong with your magical baby.

“When I first held him, I remembered what it had said. It was like I had the book open in front of me, the memory was that clear. It can only happen in magical children and… Do you know about conjoined twins? Babies born with their limbs still attached to each other?”

Lily frowned, her face so sad and lonely Severus wanted to go back in time and strangle his younger self for leaving her so alone. “Well, Severus, congratulations, we actually have two sons. Only, the way they are linked together is in the mind, not in the body. Sometimes, when the magical core develops, it splits into two in preparation for the cells to divide into two babies. But… sometimes, the magical core splits, creating two separate minds, but the physical matter never gets the message, so the two children are trapped together permanently.”

Lily looked directly at him, expression extremely sombre. “It’s terrible what they’ll do to them, Sev. The Healer will test for this condition, and when they find it… I’ve already examined him and there are definitely two little ones in there, love. Sometimes I can even tell which one’s which – they take it in turns to be asleep and awake. I- I can’t let them do what they will do when they find out about the two of them. It might be selfish, but how could you choose between your sons? Are they not both people? Are they not equally deserving of the chance to live?

“Sorry, I’m not making much sense, am I?

“The staff here will do the test and then use spells to ‘subdue’ the baby they decide has the weaker magical core. They’ll continue casting the spells until the weaker magic dies down and goes out completely. They’ll kill our baby, Sev! Only because if they both survive they might – emphasis on the might – cause each other to be mentally unbalanced, or magically unbalanced, because they’ll be two people living in one head. Well, I won’t let them do it, I won’t!”

Lily was magnificent in her protective fury, red hair falling about her face like a mane. And so unbearably vulnerable.

“They’re both my sons! I’ve found a way, Sev. I’ve found a way to put the little one to sleep, to sink him deep into Harry’s subconscious, so they won’t detect him – a way to make him think he is Harry for a good many years. That way they can both get used to each other and it won’t be such a shock when the time comes for them to split. The spell won’t last forever – in fact, I’d never want it to – but it should last long enough for them to grow and learn to protect themselves, which brings me to my last point.”

Lily leaned forward and gazed seriously into Severus’ eyes. “It’s a version of the old Greek spell we discovered in fifth year. Do you remember? But I’ve worked out how to cast it so that on one of their birthdays, our boys will start to separate. So that the little one starts to become aware of himself again. One day Harry will look in the mirror and see his brother.” She shot him a shy smile. “I haven’t named the little one yet – I thought I’d leave that up to you. Though I have been tempted to call him Severus.” She laughed. “What James doesn’t know can’t hurt him, right? And he won’t know.”

Her expression turned troubled. “I do care for him, Severus, but my first choice for husband would have always been you. You understand don’t you? I married James to keep our children safe. To keep your children safe. I try comfort myself with the idea that you would have approved if you’d have known.

“Severus–”her expression was tortured “–all the magic I’ve done. All the protective spells, the prolonging of the pregnancy so no one would suspect, and the magic I still need to do to keep them safe… I may not survive, Sev. It’s too much for one person and I don’t dare ask for help, not with our babies’ lives at stake. It won’t be straight away,” she rested her cheek on top of her baby’s head, “it’ll be more of a slow wasting – like my Mum dying of cancer. I hate the idea of leaving Harry, leaving the little one, and most of all, leaving you, Severus, but I have faith that once you learn the truth, you’ll protect your sons with everything you have. Hopefully by the time you realise what I’ve done, the Dark Lord will be long dead and you’ll have healed a little.

“My leaving this message to you is only guesswork on my part; if all goes as I expect the boys will become aware on their fifteenth birthday. Soon, Harry and his little shadow will be ready to be apart and I’m telling you now, so that you can be prepared and help them when it does happen. I’ve trusted Albus with this too, so if it is too much for you… Well, the boys will have someone to help and protect them either way.”

She shook her head, grief pulling at her mouth and the corners of her eyes. “It might have already happened, in which case I am so sorry for any trouble or sorrow I have caused you all. But, in case they haven’t, I’ll add a little something extra to the spell so you can break it yourself. And maybe, if all of my foolish plans work, maybe the little one can have a body of his own – a life of his own.

“When the time comes, all he needs to do is break the mirror from his side. When he’s old enough. When the little one’s strong enough, tell him to break through and I have faith my spell will work. After all, I’ll probably almost drain the magic I have to get this to work. And then you’ll have two sons to drive you up the wall.” Lily grinned, almost as if she could see his unimpressed expression.

“Take care of them, Sev… I wish with all my heart that I could be with you and that we could be a complete family together, but I’ve come to realise life doesn’t always happen the way you expect.

“I do realise some of my plans may have already back-fired a little. I never intended to die protecting these boys when I started everything, but now I’ll do anything and everything necessary. James is on You-Know-Who’s wanted list after we and the Order scuppered his plans last month and I… I may not always be around to care for our boys, to love them, so please say you’ll be there for them if I can’t. I know it’s a lot to ask. Oh–”

She cut herself off and looked down at the now-squirming bundle. “Look who’s woken up to say hello to his Daddy.” The baby stopped squirming and a pink arm emerged, grabbing for Lily’s long hair. “That’s right, little one, this is your Daddy – Severus Snape. Yes, he is. And he’ll love you so much. I know he will.”

She looked up and Severus and smiled. That smile contained sadness, love, hope and joy. For herself, for Severus, and for her two children.

The memory dissolved around Severus, leaving him feeling like his whole world had been turned upside down.

Shadow was meant to exist. And Albus and Severus had banished him. Lily’s little one had been abandoned by those who should have protected him the most and Severus was torn between joy at knowing his Lily had loved him all along and grief at how he might have betrayed her hopes for their child.

And Lily would have died anyway, regardless of whether he had opened his mouth to the Dark Lord that night. There was such messy grief tied up with that thought, he didn’t know whether to cry or laugh.

His dear Lily had already known she was going to die for love before the Dark Lord came knocking on her door that Halloween.

Severus carefully tipped the memory back into the phial and scrubbed the tears from his cheeks. There was no point in blaming himself now. Both Lily and he had made mistakes regarding this whole situation – if only she’d set the message to arrive sooner, then he could have had years with Harry, if not with his mother. But then, maybe Lily hadn’t thought she’d die only just over a year later. The only thing he could do for both of them now is to move forward and protect their boys from any future threats… and knowing Harry, there’d probably be many.

He stood and glided out the bedroom and down the corridor. There was no way he’d be able to sleep now, so he might as well get started on his chores; the first one being to check on the boys.

The door to their room opened silently and Severus wordlessly gave thanks for the invention of WD40. Albus looked up from the chair he was sitting vigil in and nodded silently at him. Severus waved at him to stay seated. If the old man wanted to watch over them, then Severus certainly wasn’t going to complain – and there weren’t many other people he’d trust with this particular duty.

As Severus got closer to the bed, he noticed Harry’s breathing was deep enough, and that his sprawled position was relaxed enough, for the boy to truly be asleep, but Shadow… He was still far too tense.

Severus sat down on the edge of the bed and laid a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Shadow."

A moment’s hesitation and then the child rolled over to face him.

“Why can’t you sleep?”

A shrug. “Dunno.”

The sullen tone once would have had Severus seething, but now he employed his new-found (and still self-shocking) patience and reached out to smooth his hand through the boy’s hair. “I’ve just received a fourteen year-old message from your mother. Would you like to hear about it?”

A pause, then the tousled head nodded. “I think I remember the end of that. Did Harry tell you I could once remember everything that happened to the both of us before we were separated? Not anymore though. So, I remember that bit. At least, I remember her saying you were my Dad… Or Harry’s Dad or whatever.”

Your father,” Severus stated firmly. No way was he going to start off on the wrong foot with this child. “That was one point she made very clear. She knew all about you and Harry being separate people. She even called you her ‘little one’ and then referred to Harry by his name. It was very clear… she loved you both and wanted me to do the same.”

The small face looked both uncertain and hopeful. “Yeah?”

“Yes. She even thought about calling you Severus.”

Shadow’s nose wrinkled and Severus huffed out a laugh. “That was not a hint, Shadow.”

Worried green eyes studied his face. “I wasn’t trying to be mean or anything, it’s just… my name’s Shadow now – Harry named me and it’s stuck. It may not be conventional, but I like it. Is- is that ok?”

“Don’t wind yourself up. I think changing your name now would leave both Harry and you very confused. But…” Severus cut himself off, and then forced himself to continue. “But, my middle name is Aramis. As Harry is known as Harry James Snape – and if you don’t like the name Severus – maybe I could put the name on your birth certificate as Shadow Aramis Snape?”

“Huh.” The skin around Shadow’s eyes relaxed and his whole body seemed to melt into the bed. “I could get used to that. So, you really want me around, huh?”

Severus forced back a growl and hauled the boy off the bed into a fierce hug. “Yes, I want you around. Harry wants you around. Get that into your thick skull, you little dunderhead. And if you even think about trying to leave, I will not be held responsible for my use of Sticking Charms!”

The boy squirmed to get away, even as he started giggling. Severus could hear Albus chuckling in the background and made a mental note to threaten to hex him if he ever said anything to Minerva.

“OK, OK… Dad,” the word was said very tentatively, “Fine, I’ll stick around… No pun intended.”

Severus rolled his eyes. “‘No pun intended’, indeed. I was not born yesterday, brat. Now, go to sleep. Properly, this time.”

Severus made himself sit there for the next half an hour, humming Greensleeves and stroking his hand through the child’s hair. Some things were more important than maintaining one’s imagine. Harry was resilient enough to cope with Severus’ stand-offish nature. Shadow was not.

“Well done, my boy,” Albus whispered after Shadow’s breathing eventually evened out. “Some days I can barely recognise you, though I promise they’re all changes for the better. You’re becoming the man I always knew you could be.”

Severus sighed and forced himself to take it as the compliment it was. “Thank you, Albus. Will you watch them for me?”

“I hardly think fourteen year-old boys need to be hovered over, but I will of course do as you ask, my boy. They’ll be fine. Both of them.”

Severus felt something relax in his chest. If he had Albus backing him up through this, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. It wouldn’t undo all of the damage done to these boys, but it might well give them a good head-start.

Heart lighter than it had been all year, Severus went downstairs to start to get lunch ready. He supposed he might even set a place for Albus, the interfering old coot.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for not posting Sunday night as I normally do - hopefully the chapter made up for it though! Lily does a lot of monologuing, but I hope it works


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1780