The Summer by little-sun
Summary: Harry spends his summer holidays with Snape in one of the Order of the Phoenix safe-houses. The following school year is going to be interesting too... (After OotP.) ON HIATUS, sorry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 15265 Read: 8983 Published: 04 Mar 2009 Updated: 08 Jun 2009
Story Notes:
Beta-read by wonderful Jen aka Wellyuthink
The Summer by little-sun

It all went better than Harry had hoped for. Much better than he dared to hope, really, considering the first Snape's words.

***

"I see that the Headmaster made you bend to his will once again." The Potions Master said in his coolest voice. Harry wondered why the vials containing weird creatures in liquids didn't freeze over; Harry's blood in his veins definitely did. "Well, it makes two of us," Snape added and granted Harry his most hateful glare.

I am so very dead, Harry thought, his panic rising. Their relationship hadn't improved the tiniest bit during the months since the Pensieve incident; and now Dumbledore decided that Harry would spend his summer with Snape. How barmy was that?

"You may go, Potter," Snape ordered. "Come back here after the rest of the students leave for the Hogwarts Express. Pack everything you will need for the next two months."

Harry walked back to the Gryffindor tower slowly. After the Dursleys' death during Easter - ironically enough, they died in a car crash - Harry had really hoped that Dumbledore would send him to Grimmauld Place. Where better to spend a summer than with his Godfather? But now, Sirius was gone, too.

Harry sighed. He really didn't feel like going back to Gryffindor common room, to face all the cheerful housemates celebrating the end of the school year. On a whim, he turned towards the Hogwarts kitchens.

***

Severus glanced at the clock. The students should be about to board the train and Potter should be knocking on the door soon. Severus sighed. Two months with the ill-mannered brat. Ill-mannered emotional brat, to add. The boy had lost both his Muggle family and Black, which meant Severus might expect not only fits of rage from him, but possibly break-downs or even crying sessions. Severus shuddered. He would prefer to continue spying on the Dark Lord. Alas, Severus had to agree with Albus, the spying hadn't been profitable at all, the last year. There was little reason to continue it.

How to survive Potter-sitting? That was a question he had tried to solve last night. Severus couldn't stand the boy; Albus expected miracles from him - teaching Potter Occlumency again included; and Minerva had made it clear that if her boy-wonder wasn't completely happy when she saw him next time, Severus may expect untold suffering.

The expected knock sounded throughout the room. "Come in!" Severus ordered. Good, he observed, the boy had collected himself a bit. His fearful expression last night had been nearly amusing. Apparently, even foolish Gryffindor bravery didn't cover living with a hateful teacher for summers.

"Sit!" He motioned to the chair opposite his. He glanced at the boy's trunk and cage containing the beautiful snowy owl.

"Your owl won't be allowed to fly around the safe-house. Unless you want to confine her to the cage for two months, I suggest you send her to Weasley or Granger with a note not to send her back." Severus expected back-talk, but Potter only turned pensive for a second and then got up obediently to fetch a parchment and fix a letter.

"Add that they are not to contact you until you contact them," Severus instructed, and once again, he was obeyed. Pleased by the compliance, he decided to hand Potter a treat.

"You will be allowed to send and receive post once a week," Severus informed the boy. "On a few occasions you will be permitted to invite them. Only if you behave with my demands, of course," he added before the boy could think Severus was going to spoil him as the rest of the world did.

"Here," Severus handed Potter the schedule he had laboriously prepared the previous evening. "With the exception of Sundays, you will be required to follow this timetable flawlessly."

It was a good day-schedule; Severus was even so lenient to give Potter free afternoons. He had sent it to Minerva with a few sarcastic remarks and as her response hadn't come back yet, she probably couldn't find the regime too strict either. Of course, Severus didn't suppose the brat would admit the schedule was reasonable.

Potter stayed mute.

"Questions?" Severus prompted.

The boy hesitated. "What kind of training will I have during evenings?" he asked finally.

Severus had to - once again - remind Potter to use his title when speaking to him, and he explained, "Headmaster Dumbledore wants you to practice Defence as well as learning more offensive spells. He also requires you to train in Occlumency once again," he added with gritted teeth. "I think we will start with the duelling."

Potter's relief was rather unmistakeable.

***

Harry hopped on his bed and gave it a trial jump. He looked around the light room and, not for the first time, thought it all seemed unreal. Everything since Sirius' fall seemed like a long, weird dream and Harry really wanted to wake up from it.

Snape was supposed to be a git, for example, but instead he had handed Harry a quite reasonable time-schedule with no house-work in it with the exception of cleaning the room that was Harry's own for the summer. Snape didn't expect Harry to get up at five and go to sleep after dinner. He was actually free to do what he wanted about three hours a day and all Sundays. Well, dream Snape was certainly preferable to the real one. Not as if Harry intended to voice the opinion aloud.

Okay, so if this was a dream, let's better make it a good dream rather than a nightmare, Harry decided and went to retrieve one of his schoolbooks. His hand grabbed the Herbology textbook; Harry shrugged to himself, Herbology was as good as anything. It was ridiculous to start studying on the first day of summer holidays - when everyone else was still riding the Hogwarts Express home - but supposedly it would be a nice change to having all magical things locked up or hidden. Harry took parchment and a quill from the trunk as well and resignedly went to look for the library room.

Snape was already seated by the bigger table by the window, which left Harry the slightly smaller one in the corner. Just as well, this way Harry wouldn't see the sour teacher every time he raised his head from the books. He noticed that Snape glanced at the clock on the wall, as if to say that Harry was late. The wizard stayed silent, though, and Harry sat down at his table.

He must have somehow managed to concentrate fully on the textbook, as suddenly, Snape was interrupting him with a brisk, "Time to eat lunch, Potter!"

More than an hour had passed without Harry's notice. It was much easier to study without all the noise the student body created.

"You are supposed to read through your fifth year books in two weeks," Snape informed Harry, interrupting his musings about the tasty food and about presence of House-elves. "It's only repetition, or at least it should be. Afterwards, I will bring you sixth year books, so that you could study ahead."

Harry stifled a sigh. He saw no point in arguing about books - Snape was a teacher, after all. "Can I go somewhere too, or am I stuck here?" he asked instead. This issue had bothered him for quite a while.

"You are to stay here, in the house or on the property. The boundary line is quite clear, but I will take you around anyway, this afternoon. Don't even dream about crossing the border." Harry wasn't happy about Snape's derisive tone, but he somehow couldn't find the will to talk back. Too much effort. Who cared about Snape's tones of voice, anyway?

"If you behave yourself, study and stay on the property, then you may invite one of your little friends over for Sundays, and write them letters," Snape told him. "Displease me, and your days will consist solely of studying and training."

Snape was really so irritating! These rules he presented were better than staying with the Dursleys, surely, but the means of delivery took all pleasantness away. Harry decided not to answer and he only nodded.

As Harry continued eating his lamb stew, he suddenly knew what game Snape was playing. The git was only making a spectacle for Dumbledore. Pretending to give Harry treats and then amusing himself by taking them away.

"See, Headmaster, I gave him such a reasonable schedule, I allowed him everything, only if he behaves. But he constantly irritates me, he doesn't behave, he doesn't study..." Harry could just imagine the convincing stream of complaints.

Harry decided not to expect to see his friends this summer. It wouldn't be much different from other summers, definitely.

***

Potter was such an irritating little cur! Damn him!

Yes, the boy actually did - to Severus' surprise - try to stick to the schedule; without any complaints, to add. Potter was even - for such an unruly child - astonishingly successful in following it. He was studying every morning and he was able to answer majority of questions about the readings. The boy wasn't half bad at duelling training and he didn't complain about the pain he had received now and then. His room was clean every time Severus inspected it. Potter was in time for every meal and never made any fuss about the food laid before him.

Severus rubbed his left forearm, and he looked through the window. Potter and Granger were walking slowly through the small apple tree orchard, the girl talking animatedly and Potter nodding.

Severus had just enough of this impudent nodding! He talked to Potter and the brat hardly ever answered, unless he was directly asked a question. How many ‘nods' had Severus gotten instead of polite ‘yes, sirs' during the two weeks they had spent here? How many times Potter failed to greet him when he had entered rooms where Severus had been? Severus had had enough of the boy's blatant disrespect. A lecture on manners was way long overdue with Potter.

At least Potter hadn't had any breakdowns, Severus thought gratefully. The boy hadn't even thrown a fit of anger since the start of the holiday. Actually, for a Potter, the boy had been suspiciously calm. As if arguing or ranting was too much effort for him. It was probably just another way to show Severus disrespect, the wizard thought. The boy was showing him he couldn't care less. Just as well, Severus shrugged.

The teenagers now sat into a shade of one tree, still immersed in conversation. Severus decided that unlike Weasley, Granger could be trusted not to make something foolish happen, and he went to spend the afternoon into his lab.

***

Harry ate his roast beef slowly, mulling over his dilemma. Should he thank Snape for inviting Hermione? He actually knew he should thank the wizard, it was only a reasonable politeness to do; but then again, Snape was so unpredictable. It was pretty possible, that for his politeness, Harry would get back some cutting sarcasm.

On the other hand, maybe if Harry failed to thank the teacher, he might not be allowed to invite anyone else again. Harry was honestly surprised that Hermione had really been allowed to come. Harry expected Snape to forbid him to send her invitation. Or to call it off later. Even this morning, Harry half anticipated Snape to say he changed his mind and add some evil laugh or malicious remark. Evidently, Harry had judged the man unfairly, he thought with a pang of guilt.

Harry cleared his throat, and said formally, "Thank you for bringing Hermione to visit, Professor."

He blinked when dark eyes turned to him and narrowed, as if he had just done something wrong. There we go, he thought resignedly.

"You are welcome," Snape told him after a minute pause. It appeared to Harry as if he was about to add something else but decided against.

Harry cleared his throat again. He asked tentatively, "Can I invite Ron for next Sunday, sir?"

"You may." Snape's answer sounded a bit grudging to Harry. The professor continued, "If you manage to follow the rules next week, you may invite someone for Sunday after next."

Harry nodded. It was an easy pattern to follow.

Snape added, "If you want some letters posted, bring them for lunch tomorrow."

Harry nodded again. Snape went on errands every Monday afternoon, as he had explained earlier, on which occasion he sent and retrieved post from a false-name post box.

Dinner ended soon after, and Harry was glad to go to his room. Under Snape's civility, Harry could clearly hear the man's annoyance and it was unnerving him.

***

Severus applied the balm on his Dark Mark and sighed in relief. For nearly three weeks his arm had burned constantly - ever since the Dark Lord realised that Severus wouldn't come when called. Severus devoted majority of his days and nights to inventing this balm, and today, finally, it was done.

It was about time, really. Severus was growing more and more irritated; the pain and lack of sleep making him more snappish to Potter than the boy really deserved. Potter was practically tip-toeing around Severus now and it was painfully obvious that he tried to stick to his rules and schedule rigorously out of sheer fear. Severus felt a pang of guilt.

He glanced at the clock - it was still an hour till dinner time, which meant Potter would still be outside. He decided to leave the boy a note. Severus needed to get some sleep desperately. Tomorrow, he would go and collect the boy's birthday presents from the Headquarters where they should be stockpiled. He decided he would buy Potter one present as well. A present was as good as an apology and Severus Snape never apologised. 

***

Potter, you have a free evening tonight. If I am not around tomorrow morning, continue with your studies. SS

Harry read the brisk note again and sighed in relief. A dinner free of Snape, all evening to himself and maybe even half a day tomorrow. Thank the gods.

Snape had been getting increasingly angry during the last few weeks. It had been weird to be around him. He kept snapping and snarling at Harry, but he never actually forbade him his free afternoon, a friend, nor did he withhold food - not even desserts. Even in this frightening mood of his, Snape was much more decent than Uncle Vernon; however, it felt to Harry as if Snape was a ticking bomb. He was ticking faster and faster and he might blow up any second now.

Harry feared Snape. He realised he had never feared him as much as he had in the last week. Harry knew that if he set the Snape-bomb off, he might not survive it. He just knew it, Gryffindor bravery go hang.

Harry's birthday would be the day after tomorrow. If Snape hadn't been so scary, Harry would have begged to be allowed his friends for the day, even if it wasn't Sunday. In this situation, though, Harry didn't feel like risking asking anything. He was always allowed only once friend at a time, anyway, on Sundays. And he had always spent his birthdays alone, anyway. Not a big deal.

Harry decided to practise Transfiguration tonight. The sixth year textbook was really vicious and Harry feared he would struggle through the year. It was great to be in a house where all traces of use of magic were blocked from Ministry's eyes. Hermione had been positively jealous when she had found out. Harry had teased her, saying that the Ministry regulation was there because of Hermione-like kids who would practise magic all summers and wouldn't get any rest! He grinned when he recalled her indignant expression.

***

Seven presents, eight with Severus' own. The boy was lucky, Severus thought with an uncertain feeling of jealousy. He put them on a side table under a notice-me-not charm, and went to library to check on Potter. The boy was immersed in reading the Defence book Severus had brought him the previous Monday. Potter glanced up, when he heard the door close behind Severus. His eyes were guarded and he apparently was trying to assess Severus' mood. The wizard couldn't help but feel ashamed.

"What curses and anti-curses are you studying today, Potter?" he asked calmly.

The student named three curses and defences nervously.

"Is there something you don't understand?" Severus asked just so calmly again.

Potter swallowed. "I'm not sure about the wand movements, Professor," he admitted finally and gave Severus another nervous glance.

Great, I turned Potter into a Hufflepuff in mere three weeks, Severus though sarcastically. Aloud he said, "The book doesn't describe hand and wand movements very well, it's a flaw in an otherwise good quality publication. We will go through the movements during the evening practise."

"Yes, sir," the boy said meekly. Finally, he answered verbally instead of giving just a nod, Severus noted with satisfaction.

Severus glanced at the clock; it was about quarter of hour before lunch. "Have you read the book on meditation I gave you?" he asked. Getting a positive answer, he continued. "Are you practising the described meditative techniques continuously?"

"Yes, sir," Potter answered and he seemed sincere.

"Good. We can't put off the Occlumency lessons any longer. If you have really practiced the meditation it shouldn't be such a disaster as the last year." Severus told Potter, carefully keeping his voice even. Potter paled anyway. "We will start the day after tomorrow."

***

Harry went to bed - at 11 p.m. as the day-schedule ordered - but he couldn't fall asleep. His thoughts were swirling too fast.

An Occlumency lesson tomorrow! It was going to be a nightmare. Harry did practise meditation, he really did, but he doubted it would do him any good. Snape would accuse him of lying and being lazy and he would certainly forbid Harry his friends and the mailing letters.

At least Snape didn't seem like a walking bomb anymore. Harry had to wonder if Snape had blown up at someone during the time he had been absent - maybe some Death-Eaters, ha! Snape was now as ‘nice' as he had been the first week of summer. Cold and slightly sarcastic, but calm. Safe.

Snape even gave Harry a birthday present! Harry had opened the parcel with some trepidation, he really didn't know what to expect from the sour teacher - some potions ingredients maybe. Instead, he got new trousers and a shirt.

"I couldn't fail to notice your trouser legs are too short for you, Potter," Snape said in his usual tone that somehow carried the message that it was Harry's fault that he had grown up, "as you have worn your school clothes all July, I deduced that your every day wear had to be even smaller."

"Thank you, sir." Harry was a bit touched that Snape had never made any sarcastic remark about his limited wardrobe. Probably, Snape only remarked on things he considered Harry's fault - such as growing up.

"You needed casual wear." Snape responded just as Harry noticed that the shirt was short sleeved, which apparently made it ‘casual' in Snape's eyes. Harry grinned. Fortunately, his head was bowed as he studied the card packed in the trouser pocket.

"Wow! The pants will magically grow up as I will grow up. Fifteen centimetres in length and five in width." Harry really loved magic.

"It's just a standard charm woven in, it's used for majority of teenagers' wear." Snape said in a bored tone, indicating that Harry should have known long ago.

"I wish there were Wizards Studies as well as a Muggle Studies at Hogwarts," Harry voiced his long time wish. According to Hermione, there even wasn't one single book that had tried to accumulate all these small, every-day-life differences.

"You are supposed to learn from other students. I am sure that Miss Granger would know." This tone Harry knew all too well. It was a tone designated for lazy students, who went so far as to dare to make excuses.     

Harry found himself unwilling to dispute with Snape just when he got a present from him, so he just shrugged and said, "Hermione is Hermione."

"That is an argument which even I find indisputable," Snape deadpanned. "Now if you are finished with presents we might have breakfast."

Harry grinned into darkness. It was probably his best birthday ever, even though he had no friends and no party - though the House-elves made a birthday cake after dinner - and even though Snape didn't see any reason to make it a free day for Harry, making him follow the schedule. Well, Snape was... Snape. Indisputably. Harry grinned again.

***

Severus was glad he had included free Sundays in Potter's schedule. No Occlumency lesson tonight was very probably the same blessing for Severus as it was for Potter.

After nearly two and half weeks worth of Occlumency training, Potter was only now starting to show the slightest progress. Severus could see that the boy was actually making effort to learn this time, but Potter's mind was presently too full of grief for the boy to master the emotion and Occlude sufficiently.

Severus was getting sick of witnessing Black falling through the mystical veil over and over again, as well as of seeing Potter's eyes overflowing with pain. His suffering made Severus feel sorry for the brat, for God's sake!

Of course, Severus expected the boy to be sad about his Godfather's demise, but he had never realised how deeply Potter's affection for the man went. It was strange, really - how much could the two have bonded over a mere two years? They had hardly seen each other - Potter had either been at Hogwarts or with his Muggle relatives whilst Black was on the run and later caged at Grimmauld Place. Curious.

Also, Severus had had enough of Potter's other memories; those connected with the Dark Lord always left Severus feeling ill; and memories of the boy's Muggle relatives were just an endless documentary about what abysmal guardians they were.

Two weeks remained of the holiday, and Severus was out of ideas how to make the training more effective. At this pace, Severus would have to train Potter until he left Hogwarts. It was not a nice idea.

Severus relaxed in his comfortable chair and closed his eyes. He needed to come up with some brilliant idea. Raindrops started drumming on the windowsills. It was very calming.

His musings were interrupted by voices. Potter and Granger had come back inside, and to Severus' disappointment, they didn't go upstairs to Potter's room, but stayed in the hall. Of course, it was only appropriate, but it meant the end of Severus' silent contemplation. It wouldn't do to cast silencing charms, as safe as the house was supposed to be.

"But, Harry," Granger's voice carried easily through the door, "I've told you everything about our holiday in Portugal and never let you tell me how your birthday was. How is your training going? What about Professor Snape? Ron said he was nasty to you?"

Severus smirked. The girl was really overwhelming.

"Hermione!" Potter laughed. "What should I answer first? Thank you for your birthday present, it was really thoughtful. I already tried some of the spells and they are brill."

Severus frowned. The boy had got three books - a book on combat spells, whose contents he was forbidden to practice alone, the book "Effortless Keep of a Magical Household", a present from Molly Weasley in Severus' guess, and a book on illusion charms. Severus frowned. He should have probably inspected the charms book.

"It is, isn't it?" the witch enthused, "I'm sure if those spells were taught at Hogwarts, the majority of the House-elves could be freed." Household keeping spells, then, Severus smirked, who would guess Potter would like to know those? Or maybe he was just scared of Granger's wrath for overtiring House-elves.

"Well, and Snape's decent, really." Potter answered another question. "I couldn't convince Ron about it, but Snape is all right. It's much better here than with the Dursleys."

"I'm so glad, Harry!" Granger answered. Severus didn't know if he should feel pleased that the brat could recognise how decent Snape had been to him, or be mortally offended for being compared to those detestable Muggles.

"Well, only," Granger hesitated, "only after the years with the Dursleys, I'm afraid nearly everyone would seem to be decent to you."

"He even got me a present, all right?" Potter said exasperated. "These pants and shirt."

"They are nice," Granger admitted, "but, Harry-"

"He let me have friends visit," Potter cut her off, "and he told me to send Hedwig to you, so that she wouldn't have to be caged all the time. He never takes away food, even if he's angry with me. And when he throws insults, they are only about me, not my Dad or Sirius. See?" Potter was nearly panting in the end of his rant. Severus had to  - to his surprise - agree with Granger; Potter certainly did have low expectations on his guardians. Perhaps the Muggles were even more pathetic that Severus had thought them.

"Okay, Harry," the witch said placatingly, "I will trust you in this. You do look much better than you usually do in September. I'm glad you're happier here. What about your training, how is it going?"

"Not so well," Harry admitted grudgingly. Severus faltered. Had he just called Potter by his given name in his thoughts?

"Let's have hot chocolate and biscuits," the boy offered. As stalling tactic went, this one was rather pathetic, Severus decided, but he was proved wrong - Harry got a heated lecture on working House-elves on Sunday afternoons, and then he had to cajole Granger into drinking some of the chocolate. "Come on, Hermione, have some. They've already done the labour by cooking it. Now it would only hurt them to waste it. And besides, this is not my house, so I can't run it how I want."

Rather Slytherin of Potter. He got away without actually promising he would have his own future household House-Elf-free, and he got an apology.

"What about the training, then?" Hermione prompted.

"The duelling is going well." Potter started and Severus expected another attempt on stalling. Potter surprised him again. He said simply, "Occlumency's not."

"You practise meditating?" the Know-it-all asked. Severus was sure Potter nodded. He knew the boy had practised meditation. "Do you try to empty your mind?" Severus imagined another nod and also shoulders sagged in resignation. "But Professor Snape keeps breaking through?"

As inquisitions went, this was a rather good one. Severus rolled his eyes. He was surprised that Potter hadn't blown up yet.

Potter said something, but not loud enough for Severus to overhear.

"Sirius?" Fortunately, Granger spoke more clearly. "Oh, Harry."

There was a long silence. Finally, the witch broke it hesitatingly, "I know you don't want to go and see a psychologist, Harry, but maybe you might try to read some book about dealing with grief? It cannot do any harm, even if it won't help."

That was an idea worth considering, Severus thought. Finding a mind-healer would be complicated, but reading a book...

"About that," Potter said and cleared his throat, "I'm sorry that I shouted at you about the psychologist, you know, back at school. Well, I guess you were right - they might help me, but I'm stuck here, so maybe you might try to find me a good book? I'll pay you back in Galleons, if you don't mind."

"I'll try to send it as soon as possible," Granger promised, "I'll Google it tonight, buy it tomorrow if possible, and send it immediately. Maybe you'll get it tomorrow or next Monday at the latest."

The girl was certainly efficient, Severus thought approvingly, whatever ‘Google' meant. Severus never really understood why Granger befriended Potter and Weasley. She didn't share their passion for Quidditch or for fooling around lazily. Of course, she might have a good feeling of being the uncontested cleverest of the trio, but that was hardly a reason for such a close friendship. She was a misplaced Ravenclaw, that was for sure.

"Thanks, Hermione! You're the best!" Honest and open admiration could be motivators as well, Severus considered.

The two teenagers soon left the hall to see the rest of Harry's presents, especially the charms book. Once Granger heard of a book on illusions she hadn't seen yet, she was unstoppable.

***

Harry was just finishing his dessert when he heard the floo in the hall flare. Snape got up and took out his wand in one efficient movement, motioned Harry to stay behind and he carefully went to examine the situation. The more Harry knew about magical combat, the more he could appreciate how good Snape was.

"Albus," Harry heard Snape greeting the visitor and he headed towards the hall as well.

"Hello, Headmaster," Harry said, his curiousness rising. It was only two days before they were supposed to floo back to Hogwarts - Harry wasn't allowed to ride Hogwarts Express this year - so it had to be something urgent, something that couldn't wait a mere two days.

"Shall we have coffee and some dessert?" Dumbledore suggested and sat down on the sofa.

Snape followed his example and sat in an armchair. Harry occupied the other armchair. Two cups of coffee and one hot chocolate appeared on the table and three pieces of the wonderful chocolate pumpkin cake. Harry didn't care that he had just finished one and dug in.

"Two problems have suddenly occurred from the Ministry of Magic's side," Dumbledore informed them and he stirred his coffee pensively. "The Ministry decided that Harry, as a minor, should be assigned a legal guardian."

Harry glanced up at Dumbledore sharply. "Who?" he asked with his mouth full.

"Manners, Potter!" Snape barked at him.

"Someone from the Ministry," Dumbledore answered Harry before he managed to apologise. "Maybe even the new Minister himself."

"But I don't even know him!" Harry exclaimed. When he heard a sharp intake of breath from Snape's side, he hastily added, "Sir."

"He wants to use you as a political leverage, I am afraid," Dumbledore explained. "However, let me present the other problem which arose; and then maybe you will agree with me that they can be solved together."

It didn't make much sense to Harry, and he noticed that Snape's eyes narrowed. He decided to stay silent, and started again on his pumpkin cake.

"Someone is pulling strings, trying to start a trial against you, Severus," Dumbledore turned to Snape, "probably Voldemort's associates on his orders. They say they had several witnesses of your crimes, et cetera."

Harry noticed that Snape's left hand twitched when the name sounded. Snape didn't say anything, though, and the Headmaster continued.

"They will try to prove you guilty as well as to prove that I'm only a foolish old man who let himself be deceived by You-Know-Who's spy." Dumbledore noticed the twitch as well, Harry guessed. "Undermining my political position at the same time."

Dumbledore finished and watched Snape pensively. The wizard only nodded.

Harry couldn't hold it any longer, "What's going to solve them both, then? Sir?"

Dumbledore beamed at him. "Severus becoming your guardian and some positive publicity, my boy."

Harry stared at him mutely.

Dumbledore explained. "Severus took care about you all summer long, which proves he doesn't mean you any harm. Severus spied on my orders and stopped spying on my orders." Harry glanced at Snape. The man was scowling; Harry guessed he hated taking orders and talks about them generally. "You, as Severus' ward, would give an interview about your beliefs. We will also remind the readers that you were right, when the others were wrong - about Voldemort being reborn."

"I hate Skeeter," Harry muttered angrily. "Is there a plan where I'm not political leverage to anyone?" He knew he was being rude, but he was past caring.

"Harry," Dumbledore asked seriously, before Snape could admonish Harry, "other things excluded, would you like to become Severus' ward?"

Harry glanced at Snape. He was certainly angry, now, but... "Yes, sir." He risked another glance. Now the angry scowl was gone, Snape appeared to be shell shocked.

"Severus, would you like to become Harry's guardian?" Dumbledore asked Snape. The Potions Master stared at Harry for a minute before he answered.

"I would," he answered. No ‘sir' or ‘Headmaster' Harry noticed idly. He was one to talk about manners!

"Well, Harry," Dumbledore turned to him again. "In comparison to getting a new guardian, one or two interviews seem like a rather minor matter, don't they? And we, of course, would invite another journalist instead of Miss Skeeter."

Said this way, Harry could hardly disagree. "Were you in Slytherin?" he asked absentmindedly and Snape chuckled.

"Everything is set, then, and I will go to ensure all paperwork is done by the time you come to Hogwarts the day after tomorrow. Come at 10 a.m. to my office, please." With a whish of green flames, and Dumbledore was gone.

Harry stared at the fireplace dazedly. Suddenly, a hand was on his shoulder. After a gentle squeeze, it was gone again.

"The Headmaster made you bend to his will once again." Snape told him softly. Harry glanced at him and noticed that the man was smirking.

"Well, it makes two of us," he answered and grinned.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1784