The Summer by little-sun
Summary: Harry spends his summer holidays with Snape in one of the Order of the Phoenix safe-houses. The following school year is going to be interesting too... (After OotP.) ON HIATUS, sorry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 15265 Read: 8983 Published: 04 Mar 2009 Updated: 08 Jun 2009
Story Notes:
Beta-read by wonderful Jen aka Wellyuthink

1. The Summer by little-sun

2. Every September a New Defence Teacher by little-sun

3. Dangerous October by little-sun

The Summer by little-sun

It all went better than Harry had hoped for. Much better than he dared to hope, really, considering the first Snape's words.

***

"I see that the Headmaster made you bend to his will once again." The Potions Master said in his coolest voice. Harry wondered why the vials containing weird creatures in liquids didn't freeze over; Harry's blood in his veins definitely did. "Well, it makes two of us," Snape added and granted Harry his most hateful glare.

I am so very dead, Harry thought, his panic rising. Their relationship hadn't improved the tiniest bit during the months since the Pensieve incident; and now Dumbledore decided that Harry would spend his summer with Snape. How barmy was that?

"You may go, Potter," Snape ordered. "Come back here after the rest of the students leave for the Hogwarts Express. Pack everything you will need for the next two months."

Harry walked back to the Gryffindor tower slowly. After the Dursleys' death during Easter - ironically enough, they died in a car crash - Harry had really hoped that Dumbledore would send him to Grimmauld Place. Where better to spend a summer than with his Godfather? But now, Sirius was gone, too.

Harry sighed. He really didn't feel like going back to Gryffindor common room, to face all the cheerful housemates celebrating the end of the school year. On a whim, he turned towards the Hogwarts kitchens.

***

Severus glanced at the clock. The students should be about to board the train and Potter should be knocking on the door soon. Severus sighed. Two months with the ill-mannered brat. Ill-mannered emotional brat, to add. The boy had lost both his Muggle family and Black, which meant Severus might expect not only fits of rage from him, but possibly break-downs or even crying sessions. Severus shuddered. He would prefer to continue spying on the Dark Lord. Alas, Severus had to agree with Albus, the spying hadn't been profitable at all, the last year. There was little reason to continue it.

How to survive Potter-sitting? That was a question he had tried to solve last night. Severus couldn't stand the boy; Albus expected miracles from him - teaching Potter Occlumency again included; and Minerva had made it clear that if her boy-wonder wasn't completely happy when she saw him next time, Severus may expect untold suffering.

The expected knock sounded throughout the room. "Come in!" Severus ordered. Good, he observed, the boy had collected himself a bit. His fearful expression last night had been nearly amusing. Apparently, even foolish Gryffindor bravery didn't cover living with a hateful teacher for summers.

"Sit!" He motioned to the chair opposite his. He glanced at the boy's trunk and cage containing the beautiful snowy owl.

"Your owl won't be allowed to fly around the safe-house. Unless you want to confine her to the cage for two months, I suggest you send her to Weasley or Granger with a note not to send her back." Severus expected back-talk, but Potter only turned pensive for a second and then got up obediently to fetch a parchment and fix a letter.

"Add that they are not to contact you until you contact them," Severus instructed, and once again, he was obeyed. Pleased by the compliance, he decided to hand Potter a treat.

"You will be allowed to send and receive post once a week," Severus informed the boy. "On a few occasions you will be permitted to invite them. Only if you behave with my demands, of course," he added before the boy could think Severus was going to spoil him as the rest of the world did.

"Here," Severus handed Potter the schedule he had laboriously prepared the previous evening. "With the exception of Sundays, you will be required to follow this timetable flawlessly."

It was a good day-schedule; Severus was even so lenient to give Potter free afternoons. He had sent it to Minerva with a few sarcastic remarks and as her response hadn't come back yet, she probably couldn't find the regime too strict either. Of course, Severus didn't suppose the brat would admit the schedule was reasonable.

Potter stayed mute.

"Questions?" Severus prompted.

The boy hesitated. "What kind of training will I have during evenings?" he asked finally.

Severus had to - once again - remind Potter to use his title when speaking to him, and he explained, "Headmaster Dumbledore wants you to practice Defence as well as learning more offensive spells. He also requires you to train in Occlumency once again," he added with gritted teeth. "I think we will start with the duelling."

Potter's relief was rather unmistakeable.

***

Harry hopped on his bed and gave it a trial jump. He looked around the light room and, not for the first time, thought it all seemed unreal. Everything since Sirius' fall seemed like a long, weird dream and Harry really wanted to wake up from it.

Snape was supposed to be a git, for example, but instead he had handed Harry a quite reasonable time-schedule with no house-work in it with the exception of cleaning the room that was Harry's own for the summer. Snape didn't expect Harry to get up at five and go to sleep after dinner. He was actually free to do what he wanted about three hours a day and all Sundays. Well, dream Snape was certainly preferable to the real one. Not as if Harry intended to voice the opinion aloud.

Okay, so if this was a dream, let's better make it a good dream rather than a nightmare, Harry decided and went to retrieve one of his schoolbooks. His hand grabbed the Herbology textbook; Harry shrugged to himself, Herbology was as good as anything. It was ridiculous to start studying on the first day of summer holidays - when everyone else was still riding the Hogwarts Express home - but supposedly it would be a nice change to having all magical things locked up or hidden. Harry took parchment and a quill from the trunk as well and resignedly went to look for the library room.

Snape was already seated by the bigger table by the window, which left Harry the slightly smaller one in the corner. Just as well, this way Harry wouldn't see the sour teacher every time he raised his head from the books. He noticed that Snape glanced at the clock on the wall, as if to say that Harry was late. The wizard stayed silent, though, and Harry sat down at his table.

He must have somehow managed to concentrate fully on the textbook, as suddenly, Snape was interrupting him with a brisk, "Time to eat lunch, Potter!"

More than an hour had passed without Harry's notice. It was much easier to study without all the noise the student body created.

"You are supposed to read through your fifth year books in two weeks," Snape informed Harry, interrupting his musings about the tasty food and about presence of House-elves. "It's only repetition, or at least it should be. Afterwards, I will bring you sixth year books, so that you could study ahead."

Harry stifled a sigh. He saw no point in arguing about books - Snape was a teacher, after all. "Can I go somewhere too, or am I stuck here?" he asked instead. This issue had bothered him for quite a while.

"You are to stay here, in the house or on the property. The boundary line is quite clear, but I will take you around anyway, this afternoon. Don't even dream about crossing the border." Harry wasn't happy about Snape's derisive tone, but he somehow couldn't find the will to talk back. Too much effort. Who cared about Snape's tones of voice, anyway?

"If you behave yourself, study and stay on the property, then you may invite one of your little friends over for Sundays, and write them letters," Snape told him. "Displease me, and your days will consist solely of studying and training."

Snape was really so irritating! These rules he presented were better than staying with the Dursleys, surely, but the means of delivery took all pleasantness away. Harry decided not to answer and he only nodded.

As Harry continued eating his lamb stew, he suddenly knew what game Snape was playing. The git was only making a spectacle for Dumbledore. Pretending to give Harry treats and then amusing himself by taking them away.

"See, Headmaster, I gave him such a reasonable schedule, I allowed him everything, only if he behaves. But he constantly irritates me, he doesn't behave, he doesn't study..." Harry could just imagine the convincing stream of complaints.

Harry decided not to expect to see his friends this summer. It wouldn't be much different from other summers, definitely.

***

Potter was such an irritating little cur! Damn him!

Yes, the boy actually did - to Severus' surprise - try to stick to the schedule; without any complaints, to add. Potter was even - for such an unruly child - astonishingly successful in following it. He was studying every morning and he was able to answer majority of questions about the readings. The boy wasn't half bad at duelling training and he didn't complain about the pain he had received now and then. His room was clean every time Severus inspected it. Potter was in time for every meal and never made any fuss about the food laid before him.

Severus rubbed his left forearm, and he looked through the window. Potter and Granger were walking slowly through the small apple tree orchard, the girl talking animatedly and Potter nodding.

Severus had just enough of this impudent nodding! He talked to Potter and the brat hardly ever answered, unless he was directly asked a question. How many ‘nods' had Severus gotten instead of polite ‘yes, sirs' during the two weeks they had spent here? How many times Potter failed to greet him when he had entered rooms where Severus had been? Severus had had enough of the boy's blatant disrespect. A lecture on manners was way long overdue with Potter.

At least Potter hadn't had any breakdowns, Severus thought gratefully. The boy hadn't even thrown a fit of anger since the start of the holiday. Actually, for a Potter, the boy had been suspiciously calm. As if arguing or ranting was too much effort for him. It was probably just another way to show Severus disrespect, the wizard thought. The boy was showing him he couldn't care less. Just as well, Severus shrugged.

The teenagers now sat into a shade of one tree, still immersed in conversation. Severus decided that unlike Weasley, Granger could be trusted not to make something foolish happen, and he went to spend the afternoon into his lab.

***

Harry ate his roast beef slowly, mulling over his dilemma. Should he thank Snape for inviting Hermione? He actually knew he should thank the wizard, it was only a reasonable politeness to do; but then again, Snape was so unpredictable. It was pretty possible, that for his politeness, Harry would get back some cutting sarcasm.

On the other hand, maybe if Harry failed to thank the teacher, he might not be allowed to invite anyone else again. Harry was honestly surprised that Hermione had really been allowed to come. Harry expected Snape to forbid him to send her invitation. Or to call it off later. Even this morning, Harry half anticipated Snape to say he changed his mind and add some evil laugh or malicious remark. Evidently, Harry had judged the man unfairly, he thought with a pang of guilt.

Harry cleared his throat, and said formally, "Thank you for bringing Hermione to visit, Professor."

He blinked when dark eyes turned to him and narrowed, as if he had just done something wrong. There we go, he thought resignedly.

"You are welcome," Snape told him after a minute pause. It appeared to Harry as if he was about to add something else but decided against.

Harry cleared his throat again. He asked tentatively, "Can I invite Ron for next Sunday, sir?"

"You may." Snape's answer sounded a bit grudging to Harry. The professor continued, "If you manage to follow the rules next week, you may invite someone for Sunday after next."

Harry nodded. It was an easy pattern to follow.

Snape added, "If you want some letters posted, bring them for lunch tomorrow."

Harry nodded again. Snape went on errands every Monday afternoon, as he had explained earlier, on which occasion he sent and retrieved post from a false-name post box.

Dinner ended soon after, and Harry was glad to go to his room. Under Snape's civility, Harry could clearly hear the man's annoyance and it was unnerving him.

***

Severus applied the balm on his Dark Mark and sighed in relief. For nearly three weeks his arm had burned constantly - ever since the Dark Lord realised that Severus wouldn't come when called. Severus devoted majority of his days and nights to inventing this balm, and today, finally, it was done.

It was about time, really. Severus was growing more and more irritated; the pain and lack of sleep making him more snappish to Potter than the boy really deserved. Potter was practically tip-toeing around Severus now and it was painfully obvious that he tried to stick to his rules and schedule rigorously out of sheer fear. Severus felt a pang of guilt.

He glanced at the clock - it was still an hour till dinner time, which meant Potter would still be outside. He decided to leave the boy a note. Severus needed to get some sleep desperately. Tomorrow, he would go and collect the boy's birthday presents from the Headquarters where they should be stockpiled. He decided he would buy Potter one present as well. A present was as good as an apology and Severus Snape never apologised. 

***

Potter, you have a free evening tonight. If I am not around tomorrow morning, continue with your studies. SS

Harry read the brisk note again and sighed in relief. A dinner free of Snape, all evening to himself and maybe even half a day tomorrow. Thank the gods.

Snape had been getting increasingly angry during the last few weeks. It had been weird to be around him. He kept snapping and snarling at Harry, but he never actually forbade him his free afternoon, a friend, nor did he withhold food - not even desserts. Even in this frightening mood of his, Snape was much more decent than Uncle Vernon; however, it felt to Harry as if Snape was a ticking bomb. He was ticking faster and faster and he might blow up any second now.

Harry feared Snape. He realised he had never feared him as much as he had in the last week. Harry knew that if he set the Snape-bomb off, he might not survive it. He just knew it, Gryffindor bravery go hang.

Harry's birthday would be the day after tomorrow. If Snape hadn't been so scary, Harry would have begged to be allowed his friends for the day, even if it wasn't Sunday. In this situation, though, Harry didn't feel like risking asking anything. He was always allowed only once friend at a time, anyway, on Sundays. And he had always spent his birthdays alone, anyway. Not a big deal.

Harry decided to practise Transfiguration tonight. The sixth year textbook was really vicious and Harry feared he would struggle through the year. It was great to be in a house where all traces of use of magic were blocked from Ministry's eyes. Hermione had been positively jealous when she had found out. Harry had teased her, saying that the Ministry regulation was there because of Hermione-like kids who would practise magic all summers and wouldn't get any rest! He grinned when he recalled her indignant expression.

***

Seven presents, eight with Severus' own. The boy was lucky, Severus thought with an uncertain feeling of jealousy. He put them on a side table under a notice-me-not charm, and went to library to check on Potter. The boy was immersed in reading the Defence book Severus had brought him the previous Monday. Potter glanced up, when he heard the door close behind Severus. His eyes were guarded and he apparently was trying to assess Severus' mood. The wizard couldn't help but feel ashamed.

"What curses and anti-curses are you studying today, Potter?" he asked calmly.

The student named three curses and defences nervously.

"Is there something you don't understand?" Severus asked just so calmly again.

Potter swallowed. "I'm not sure about the wand movements, Professor," he admitted finally and gave Severus another nervous glance.

Great, I turned Potter into a Hufflepuff in mere three weeks, Severus though sarcastically. Aloud he said, "The book doesn't describe hand and wand movements very well, it's a flaw in an otherwise good quality publication. We will go through the movements during the evening practise."

"Yes, sir," the boy said meekly. Finally, he answered verbally instead of giving just a nod, Severus noted with satisfaction.

Severus glanced at the clock; it was about quarter of hour before lunch. "Have you read the book on meditation I gave you?" he asked. Getting a positive answer, he continued. "Are you practising the described meditative techniques continuously?"

"Yes, sir," Potter answered and he seemed sincere.

"Good. We can't put off the Occlumency lessons any longer. If you have really practiced the meditation it shouldn't be such a disaster as the last year." Severus told Potter, carefully keeping his voice even. Potter paled anyway. "We will start the day after tomorrow."

***

Harry went to bed - at 11 p.m. as the day-schedule ordered - but he couldn't fall asleep. His thoughts were swirling too fast.

An Occlumency lesson tomorrow! It was going to be a nightmare. Harry did practise meditation, he really did, but he doubted it would do him any good. Snape would accuse him of lying and being lazy and he would certainly forbid Harry his friends and the mailing letters.

At least Snape didn't seem like a walking bomb anymore. Harry had to wonder if Snape had blown up at someone during the time he had been absent - maybe some Death-Eaters, ha! Snape was now as ‘nice' as he had been the first week of summer. Cold and slightly sarcastic, but calm. Safe.

Snape even gave Harry a birthday present! Harry had opened the parcel with some trepidation, he really didn't know what to expect from the sour teacher - some potions ingredients maybe. Instead, he got new trousers and a shirt.

"I couldn't fail to notice your trouser legs are too short for you, Potter," Snape said in his usual tone that somehow carried the message that it was Harry's fault that he had grown up, "as you have worn your school clothes all July, I deduced that your every day wear had to be even smaller."

"Thank you, sir." Harry was a bit touched that Snape had never made any sarcastic remark about his limited wardrobe. Probably, Snape only remarked on things he considered Harry's fault - such as growing up.

"You needed casual wear." Snape responded just as Harry noticed that the shirt was short sleeved, which apparently made it ‘casual' in Snape's eyes. Harry grinned. Fortunately, his head was bowed as he studied the card packed in the trouser pocket.

"Wow! The pants will magically grow up as I will grow up. Fifteen centimetres in length and five in width." Harry really loved magic.

"It's just a standard charm woven in, it's used for majority of teenagers' wear." Snape said in a bored tone, indicating that Harry should have known long ago.

"I wish there were Wizards Studies as well as a Muggle Studies at Hogwarts," Harry voiced his long time wish. According to Hermione, there even wasn't one single book that had tried to accumulate all these small, every-day-life differences.

"You are supposed to learn from other students. I am sure that Miss Granger would know." This tone Harry knew all too well. It was a tone designated for lazy students, who went so far as to dare to make excuses.     

Harry found himself unwilling to dispute with Snape just when he got a present from him, so he just shrugged and said, "Hermione is Hermione."

"That is an argument which even I find indisputable," Snape deadpanned. "Now if you are finished with presents we might have breakfast."

Harry grinned into darkness. It was probably his best birthday ever, even though he had no friends and no party - though the House-elves made a birthday cake after dinner - and even though Snape didn't see any reason to make it a free day for Harry, making him follow the schedule. Well, Snape was... Snape. Indisputably. Harry grinned again.

***

Severus was glad he had included free Sundays in Potter's schedule. No Occlumency lesson tonight was very probably the same blessing for Severus as it was for Potter.

After nearly two and half weeks worth of Occlumency training, Potter was only now starting to show the slightest progress. Severus could see that the boy was actually making effort to learn this time, but Potter's mind was presently too full of grief for the boy to master the emotion and Occlude sufficiently.

Severus was getting sick of witnessing Black falling through the mystical veil over and over again, as well as of seeing Potter's eyes overflowing with pain. His suffering made Severus feel sorry for the brat, for God's sake!

Of course, Severus expected the boy to be sad about his Godfather's demise, but he had never realised how deeply Potter's affection for the man went. It was strange, really - how much could the two have bonded over a mere two years? They had hardly seen each other - Potter had either been at Hogwarts or with his Muggle relatives whilst Black was on the run and later caged at Grimmauld Place. Curious.

Also, Severus had had enough of Potter's other memories; those connected with the Dark Lord always left Severus feeling ill; and memories of the boy's Muggle relatives were just an endless documentary about what abysmal guardians they were.

Two weeks remained of the holiday, and Severus was out of ideas how to make the training more effective. At this pace, Severus would have to train Potter until he left Hogwarts. It was not a nice idea.

Severus relaxed in his comfortable chair and closed his eyes. He needed to come up with some brilliant idea. Raindrops started drumming on the windowsills. It was very calming.

His musings were interrupted by voices. Potter and Granger had come back inside, and to Severus' disappointment, they didn't go upstairs to Potter's room, but stayed in the hall. Of course, it was only appropriate, but it meant the end of Severus' silent contemplation. It wouldn't do to cast silencing charms, as safe as the house was supposed to be.

"But, Harry," Granger's voice carried easily through the door, "I've told you everything about our holiday in Portugal and never let you tell me how your birthday was. How is your training going? What about Professor Snape? Ron said he was nasty to you?"

Severus smirked. The girl was really overwhelming.

"Hermione!" Potter laughed. "What should I answer first? Thank you for your birthday present, it was really thoughtful. I already tried some of the spells and they are brill."

Severus frowned. The boy had got three books - a book on combat spells, whose contents he was forbidden to practice alone, the book "Effortless Keep of a Magical Household", a present from Molly Weasley in Severus' guess, and a book on illusion charms. Severus frowned. He should have probably inspected the charms book.

"It is, isn't it?" the witch enthused, "I'm sure if those spells were taught at Hogwarts, the majority of the House-elves could be freed." Household keeping spells, then, Severus smirked, who would guess Potter would like to know those? Or maybe he was just scared of Granger's wrath for overtiring House-elves.

"Well, and Snape's decent, really." Potter answered another question. "I couldn't convince Ron about it, but Snape is all right. It's much better here than with the Dursleys."

"I'm so glad, Harry!" Granger answered. Severus didn't know if he should feel pleased that the brat could recognise how decent Snape had been to him, or be mortally offended for being compared to those detestable Muggles.

"Well, only," Granger hesitated, "only after the years with the Dursleys, I'm afraid nearly everyone would seem to be decent to you."

"He even got me a present, all right?" Potter said exasperated. "These pants and shirt."

"They are nice," Granger admitted, "but, Harry-"

"He let me have friends visit," Potter cut her off, "and he told me to send Hedwig to you, so that she wouldn't have to be caged all the time. He never takes away food, even if he's angry with me. And when he throws insults, they are only about me, not my Dad or Sirius. See?" Potter was nearly panting in the end of his rant. Severus had to  - to his surprise - agree with Granger; Potter certainly did have low expectations on his guardians. Perhaps the Muggles were even more pathetic that Severus had thought them.

"Okay, Harry," the witch said placatingly, "I will trust you in this. You do look much better than you usually do in September. I'm glad you're happier here. What about your training, how is it going?"

"Not so well," Harry admitted grudgingly. Severus faltered. Had he just called Potter by his given name in his thoughts?

"Let's have hot chocolate and biscuits," the boy offered. As stalling tactic went, this one was rather pathetic, Severus decided, but he was proved wrong - Harry got a heated lecture on working House-elves on Sunday afternoons, and then he had to cajole Granger into drinking some of the chocolate. "Come on, Hermione, have some. They've already done the labour by cooking it. Now it would only hurt them to waste it. And besides, this is not my house, so I can't run it how I want."

Rather Slytherin of Potter. He got away without actually promising he would have his own future household House-Elf-free, and he got an apology.

"What about the training, then?" Hermione prompted.

"The duelling is going well." Potter started and Severus expected another attempt on stalling. Potter surprised him again. He said simply, "Occlumency's not."

"You practise meditating?" the Know-it-all asked. Severus was sure Potter nodded. He knew the boy had practised meditation. "Do you try to empty your mind?" Severus imagined another nod and also shoulders sagged in resignation. "But Professor Snape keeps breaking through?"

As inquisitions went, this was a rather good one. Severus rolled his eyes. He was surprised that Potter hadn't blown up yet.

Potter said something, but not loud enough for Severus to overhear.

"Sirius?" Fortunately, Granger spoke more clearly. "Oh, Harry."

There was a long silence. Finally, the witch broke it hesitatingly, "I know you don't want to go and see a psychologist, Harry, but maybe you might try to read some book about dealing with grief? It cannot do any harm, even if it won't help."

That was an idea worth considering, Severus thought. Finding a mind-healer would be complicated, but reading a book...

"About that," Potter said and cleared his throat, "I'm sorry that I shouted at you about the psychologist, you know, back at school. Well, I guess you were right - they might help me, but I'm stuck here, so maybe you might try to find me a good book? I'll pay you back in Galleons, if you don't mind."

"I'll try to send it as soon as possible," Granger promised, "I'll Google it tonight, buy it tomorrow if possible, and send it immediately. Maybe you'll get it tomorrow or next Monday at the latest."

The girl was certainly efficient, Severus thought approvingly, whatever ‘Google' meant. Severus never really understood why Granger befriended Potter and Weasley. She didn't share their passion for Quidditch or for fooling around lazily. Of course, she might have a good feeling of being the uncontested cleverest of the trio, but that was hardly a reason for such a close friendship. She was a misplaced Ravenclaw, that was for sure.

"Thanks, Hermione! You're the best!" Honest and open admiration could be motivators as well, Severus considered.

The two teenagers soon left the hall to see the rest of Harry's presents, especially the charms book. Once Granger heard of a book on illusions she hadn't seen yet, she was unstoppable.

***

Harry was just finishing his dessert when he heard the floo in the hall flare. Snape got up and took out his wand in one efficient movement, motioned Harry to stay behind and he carefully went to examine the situation. The more Harry knew about magical combat, the more he could appreciate how good Snape was.

"Albus," Harry heard Snape greeting the visitor and he headed towards the hall as well.

"Hello, Headmaster," Harry said, his curiousness rising. It was only two days before they were supposed to floo back to Hogwarts - Harry wasn't allowed to ride Hogwarts Express this year - so it had to be something urgent, something that couldn't wait a mere two days.

"Shall we have coffee and some dessert?" Dumbledore suggested and sat down on the sofa.

Snape followed his example and sat in an armchair. Harry occupied the other armchair. Two cups of coffee and one hot chocolate appeared on the table and three pieces of the wonderful chocolate pumpkin cake. Harry didn't care that he had just finished one and dug in.

"Two problems have suddenly occurred from the Ministry of Magic's side," Dumbledore informed them and he stirred his coffee pensively. "The Ministry decided that Harry, as a minor, should be assigned a legal guardian."

Harry glanced up at Dumbledore sharply. "Who?" he asked with his mouth full.

"Manners, Potter!" Snape barked at him.

"Someone from the Ministry," Dumbledore answered Harry before he managed to apologise. "Maybe even the new Minister himself."

"But I don't even know him!" Harry exclaimed. When he heard a sharp intake of breath from Snape's side, he hastily added, "Sir."

"He wants to use you as a political leverage, I am afraid," Dumbledore explained. "However, let me present the other problem which arose; and then maybe you will agree with me that they can be solved together."

It didn't make much sense to Harry, and he noticed that Snape's eyes narrowed. He decided to stay silent, and started again on his pumpkin cake.

"Someone is pulling strings, trying to start a trial against you, Severus," Dumbledore turned to Snape, "probably Voldemort's associates on his orders. They say they had several witnesses of your crimes, et cetera."

Harry noticed that Snape's left hand twitched when the name sounded. Snape didn't say anything, though, and the Headmaster continued.

"They will try to prove you guilty as well as to prove that I'm only a foolish old man who let himself be deceived by You-Know-Who's spy." Dumbledore noticed the twitch as well, Harry guessed. "Undermining my political position at the same time."

Dumbledore finished and watched Snape pensively. The wizard only nodded.

Harry couldn't hold it any longer, "What's going to solve them both, then? Sir?"

Dumbledore beamed at him. "Severus becoming your guardian and some positive publicity, my boy."

Harry stared at him mutely.

Dumbledore explained. "Severus took care about you all summer long, which proves he doesn't mean you any harm. Severus spied on my orders and stopped spying on my orders." Harry glanced at Snape. The man was scowling; Harry guessed he hated taking orders and talks about them generally. "You, as Severus' ward, would give an interview about your beliefs. We will also remind the readers that you were right, when the others were wrong - about Voldemort being reborn."

"I hate Skeeter," Harry muttered angrily. "Is there a plan where I'm not political leverage to anyone?" He knew he was being rude, but he was past caring.

"Harry," Dumbledore asked seriously, before Snape could admonish Harry, "other things excluded, would you like to become Severus' ward?"

Harry glanced at Snape. He was certainly angry, now, but... "Yes, sir." He risked another glance. Now the angry scowl was gone, Snape appeared to be shell shocked.

"Severus, would you like to become Harry's guardian?" Dumbledore asked Snape. The Potions Master stared at Harry for a minute before he answered.

"I would," he answered. No ‘sir' or ‘Headmaster' Harry noticed idly. He was one to talk about manners!

"Well, Harry," Dumbledore turned to him again. "In comparison to getting a new guardian, one or two interviews seem like a rather minor matter, don't they? And we, of course, would invite another journalist instead of Miss Skeeter."

Said this way, Harry could hardly disagree. "Were you in Slytherin?" he asked absentmindedly and Snape chuckled.

"Everything is set, then, and I will go to ensure all paperwork is done by the time you come to Hogwarts the day after tomorrow. Come at 10 a.m. to my office, please." With a whish of green flames, and Dumbledore was gone.

Harry stared at the fireplace dazedly. Suddenly, a hand was on his shoulder. After a gentle squeeze, it was gone again.

"The Headmaster made you bend to his will once again." Snape told him softly. Harry glanced at him and noticed that the man was smirking.

"Well, it makes two of us," he answered and grinned.

To be continued...
Every September a New Defence Teacher by little-sun
Author's Notes:
Beta read by wonderful Wellyuthink aka Jen. Thank you!

Potter stood in the middle of the room, fists balled at his sides. "But Dumbledore said- "

"We have been through this!" Severus hissed as he tried to invoke the rest of his patience. He'd been the boy's soon-to-be guardian for five hours and the brat was already driving him mad. He continued with forced calm, "Give me one sound reason why I should risk your life by taking you to the Diagon Alley. And, please, do not repeat that Albus said in June that you would be allowed to the Diagon Alley on August 31st. It is not a reason."

The boy watched him warily, not for a second fooled by Severus' false patience. His face blandly showed that he was trying to make up an acceptable reason. Severus noted to himself for later that he would have to remind the boy how much he detested to be lied to.

"I need my books and other school supplies," Potter tried, not very brightly.

"You have all your sixth year books already. Of course, as your guardian I will provide you potions ingredients, not to mention parchment, ink and quills," Severus countered easily.

"I need my school clothes." Slightly better, but still easily dodged.

"You will need those," Severus admitted. "However, your presence at Madam Malkin's is not necessary; the clothes will be self adjustable, just as your casual trousers and shirt."

"I don't have any galleons left, I need to go and take some from my vault." Potter's expression brightened, as he thought he had found an unshakeable reason. "You can't make a withdrawal without me."

"Never heard about Owl Orders, Potter?" Severus said sarcastically. The boy behaved as if he left his Muggle relatives only yesterday. He needed a proper guardian like a dose of salts.

"Of course I did!" the brat snapped, peeved. Severus frowned. Of course it was above Potter to admit his failings.

"Why are you talking nonsense, then?" Severus gave Potter his trademark raised eyebrow.

"What nonsense? How I can get an order by owl when I'm broke? Not to mention, I haven't got my owl and I'm not allowed to correspond by myself." Potter was clearly working himself into a fit.

Severus was just about to give the boy a piece of his mind. In the last second before he started shouting, he remembered the advice given in the book Granger had chosen for Potter - Severus had immediately obtained himself the same book, so that he could follow the boy's progress in coping with Black's death. Instead of arguing, try to reason; within your mind as well with others, the book said. Reasoning with Gryffindors wasn't high on Snape's list of the most trusted matters, but he decided to give it a try. Merlin and all Gods help Potter if the brat decided to argue further.

Severus tried to modulate his voice into calm, "This is not a way to start a guardianship, I would say. We should better talk after we calm ourselves. Go to your room and come back here in a half an hour."

Potter was still for a moment and then he apparently - miracles happen! - decided to follow Severus' order and left the room.

***

Harry sat on a windowsill from where he would see the Thestral-drawn carriages coming. It was still too early, of course, but Harry felt too restless to stay in Gryffindor common room and he didn't feel like being around his teachers on his last free day. Visiting the kitchen had been fun, but there was only that much food one could eat.

There was no fun without Ron and Hermione at Hogwarts, Harry decided. He had been moping around for a few hours now and longed dearly for his friends. And Luna. Harry wondered what they would say about Snape's becoming his guardian. He guessed they would be worried that Snape would abuse his power over his ward or at least would be too strict with Harry. Well, Harry himself was worried about that too - a bit. There was no arguing that Snape was ridiculously strict. Who kept their wards studying like mad whole holiday long? And who kept them from coming to the Diagon Alley for just a short-ish visit? Snape had.

Harry grimaced as he recounted their row. Snape hadn't abused his power so far, though. The day before yesterday, Harry had feared for a second that he would get slapped for arguing with the man. Instead, he was just sent to his room. Afterwards, when he had been called out, all worried about his punishment, Harry had actually felt relieved he had only been informed - in a no-nonsense tone - that there was no going outside the wards and the best Harry could do was to ask Snape for the things he wanted to buy.

Harry reached into his pocket and took out a small deep-blue bell with tiny silver ornaments on in. He would never understand Snape, really. The man kept ridiculing Harry about he most normal things, but when it came to really ridiculous matter, Snape went and with a straight face he brought much better gift for Luna's mother than Harry would ever have picked out himself. The man even hadn't raised an eyebrow over the fact that Luna celebrated birthdays of a long dead mum and loved to be given presents for her. And wonder of wonders, Snape even hadn't asked embarrassing questions about Harry's feelings to Luna. Not as if Harry was ashamed of his falling in love with her. He didn't know why he kept blushing stupidly when Luna was mentioned. Harry scowled and decided to think about something else.

He looked at the small bell in his hand again, pensively. He supposed it couldn't hurt to try, right? Harry really wondered if he would feel something. He moved his hand carefully, and listened to the sweet ringing.

"Harry?" The voice behind him startled him so much that Harry nearly dropped the bell.

"Hello, Headmaster." He got up. Pity, that Snape wasn't there to see how his manners improved. Harry definitely didn't care for getting another boring lecture about the topic.

"Ah, a Passing Bell." Dumbledore reached for it and Harry obediently handed the tiny thing over.

"Do you think they work?" he asked. The thought that it would work was unbelievable, but oddly satisfying - one rang a Passing Bell and the dead who he was thinking about at the moment knew that he was remembering them; the bell passed love between the world or living and the world of dead.

Dumbledore rang the bell, looking at it pensively. "There are magical matters and aspects between the earth and sky that we don't understand yet, my boy. Sometimes, we must have faith and hope." He rang again and Harry wondered who the old wizard was remembering.

The Headmaster shook his head, as if to remember why he had come to see Harry in the first place. "Accompany me to my office, Harry, the guardianship papers are ready to be signed. I don't believe you have changed your mind, have you?"

"No, sir," Harry answered, taking the Passing Bell back and pocketing it. He hadn't changed his decision. Snape was strict but he was decent enough when he tried. And it was obvious that the man did try. It was actually funny how obvious Snape's fights for patience were. He usually pinched bridge of his big nose and closed his eyes for a second. Or he clenched his fists until all his slender fingers were white and then forcibly relaxed them. Then there was the pacing - though it was not so impressive without black cloak flying behind the man. Taking deep breath and slowly releasing it usually worked just fine for Snape. Harry grinned.

Snape tried. It was much more than the Dursleys had ever done.

"Wonderful," Dumbledore enthused. "Severus also wants you to retake the written part of your Potions O.W.L. I will serve as a witness that the test was correctly taken."

"W- what?" Harry was so surprised that he stuttered. "But- "

"Don't worry, my boy, I'm sure Severus wouldn't let you retake the exam if he didn't believe you can pass." The Headmaster's eyes twinkled.

Harry wished he had been as sure as Dumbledore. Snape had forced him to reread the Potions book and all his notes and also his essays - full of red notes and scathing remarks - but it had been in July. Harry wasn't sure he remembered anything at all. He suddenly wondered if Snape had always meant Harry to retake the exam. Harry knew that his O.W.L. score wasn't high enough to be admitted into Snape's advanced classes. And still, Snape had forced him to study Potions - it had been in the time when Snape had been in the walking-bomb state, so Harry hadn't argued and studied like mad. Still, it was a month ago!

Really, Harry was never going to understand the man. Snape had been nice enough to do Harry's shopping yesterday without protests. Why the man didn't warn Harry about the O.W.L. test?

"Clothes, cheapest chocolate for you, the most expensive treats for your owl, and something mystical or weird that Miss Lovegood might like," Snape summed up Harry's order before parting.

Harry was sure there had been a trace of sarcasm in Snape's voice, and he felt the need to stand up for his pet. "Hedwig doesn't like the cheaper things. I tried," he explained. "I had to give them to school owls, but she didn't like that either."

Snape just looked at him oddly, then shook his head as if to say all words would be wasted here, and took his leave. By that time Harry was glad he didn't get another lecture about value of money, and reasonable spending. Now, Harry was wondering why the man hadn't said something about the test! A warning would have been nice.

"Ginger Escargots!" Dumbledore gave the password and they climbed into the Headmaster's office, soon to be joined by Snape.

***

Over the Potions Journal he was reading, Severus watched his ward diligently scribbling answers to the O.W.L. test. From this distance he couldn't see words, of course, but Potter didn't seem to hesitate much, which was a good sign. Severus knew from experience, that Potter tended to leave 'unknown lands' alone rather than try to make something up.

Severus fervently hoped Potter would pass the test. He needed to score really well, nearly flawlessly, to compensate for his Practical. If the boy didn't pass, Severus would have to think up another way how to smuggle Potter to his Advanced Potions class. To have a ward that dropped Potions was simply unthinkable! Letting anyone in with mark under Outstanding was equally unacceptable, of course. Damn, Severus should have got his hands on the brat one year ago!

Severus noticed that Albus was watching him amusedly, and he scowled at his old mentor. Since Severus had mentioned the test, Albus treated it as a hilarious joke. Annoying Gryffindors!

Severus turned his attention back to his Potions Journal, but his thoughts kept running. He had to wonder - for about hundred time - how had Albus managed to press the guardianship request through the Ministry in two days. Two days! And it was a guardianship of the Boy-Who-Lived being taken in by a highly suspicious double agent. Talk about miracles. All Albus had had to do - or so he claimed - was to call for two people to pay back favours and promise to one witch a monthly dose of the Wolfsbane Potion for her cousin. Severus was making the concoction for Lupin anyway, so it wouldn't take any extra time. A perfect bargain.

A knock on the door sounded and Minerva stepped in. She stopped short at seeing Harry and Severus present.

"Ah, hello, Minerva, are those the reports for Department of Development?" Albus greeted her cheerfully. He noticed her curious glance at Potter - who, gods be impressed, stood and greeted the witch politely - and added, "Harry is retaking his Potions O.W.L. at a request of his guardian."

"I see," the witch answered a bit coolly. Severus knew she had promised the boy to help him in reaching the Auror program. What was her problem then? It must be the guardianship, Severus mused; Minerva probably thought she - as the boy's Head of the House - should have been offered the guardianship herself. The funny thing was, she hadn't tried to challenge the summer plans for Potter. Severus gave her a raised eyebrow and the witch pursed her lips and went to discuss her reports with Albus.

Severus noticed Potter was watching the witch intently, his expression showing confusion, worry and also a good piece of hurt. "Potter!" he admonished, "you have only five minutes left, I suggest you read through your answers carefully instead of staring around." Good thing that Minerva hadn't come sooner to distract the boy.

The witch decided to stay and wait for the result of Potter's test. When Severus announced the boy that he managed to pass into his advanced class, Minerva seemed genuinely happy.

"Good work, Mr. Potter. Your parents would be proud," she said. The boy all but beamed at her. Severus gritted his teeth. Gryffindors! A quarter of hour ago she was snubbing him, but now she said one sappy thing, and Potter nearly wet himself with happiness. Unbelievable.

"Yes, good work, Potter," Severus said, "from now on, I expect nothing less from you. You are dismissed."

***

"Snape is your guardian," Ron repeated for about the tenth time, his voice dull and disbelieving. Neville stared at Harry with horrified pity.

"You already said that, Ron," Hermione rolled her eyes and she smacked the boy's forearm. "Snap out of it! Harry's spent all holiday with him, so it's not all that surprising, is it?"

Harry loved this about Hermione. She quite often understood things that happened to Harry quicker than Harry himself. It was a bit annoying on occasion, but now it was rather welcome.

"Do you know who the new Defence teacher is, Harry?" Hermione moved to the one topic she was apparently dying to know about. To Harry's relief, Ron and Neville were distracted by her question.

"His name's Helix Pomatia," Harry informed them, "and Snape said- "

He was cut off by Hermione starting to laugh madly. The three boys stared at her in astonishment. Harry had never seen the girl having a laughing fit. He grinned.

"You know him?" Neville tried. "Is he funny?"

Hermione only clutched her stomach and shook even harder. Harry and the other two boys shrugged at each other.

"I don't think he's funny," Harry told Neville and Ron. "Snape said there was something slimy about him."

Hermione, who was about to recover from the fit, was set into another one. Ron quickly grabbed her arm to prevent her from collapsing. Harry started laughing too - Hermione's mirth was contagious. It felt good. He felt as if he hadn't laughed for ages. The summer with Snape was alright - the best he had ever had - but it was hardly a walk in the park; amusing or otherwise.

Finally, Hermione recovered and she explained, "Helix Pomatia is-" - she paused to giggle - "the Latin name for edible snails, you know, those eaten as Escargot with parsley butter."

Ginger Escargots! Harry recalled Dumbledore's new password and laughed. Neville and Ron were laughing uncontrollably too. Hermione tried to interrupt, lecturing them about the fact that one didn't get to choose their name and people shouldn't be judged for it.

"You laughed first!" Ron burst out, unable to let such a hypocrisy pass.

"Yes, and it was immature," Hermione said with high airs. "I can admit it was wrong," she added with dignity. Ron rolled his eyes. Harry grinned. This year would be anything but boring.

"Snape also said we should be careful around him," Harry informed them quickly, as it was nearly about time to get to the Great Hall. "Snape remembers him from their school days and said Pomatia was always vindictive and dangerous. He never faced his enemies, but got to them from behind - with something vicious in a roundabout manner so that no one could pin it on him."

"Sounds like Snape to me," Ron said and Harry scowled at him.

"You can't say Snape wouldn't let you know that you pissed him off," he argued. "He's quite forward in his hate."

"Snape's officially on our side now," Hermione added before Ron or Neville managed to oppose. "We should support him."

Neville's face turned into a disbelieving grimace. Ron stared mutely and then cheered up, exclaiming, "We don't have to support him, as we're not taking Potions anymore." Neville nodded with evident relief.

"I'm taking Potions, actually," Harry informed them quickly. He could see Luna approaching and he wanted to greet her, preferably before they entered the Great Hall. "Snape made me retake the written test and I passed." He grinned. "I still can become an Auror!"

His friends congratulated him; Hermione enthusiastically, Neville with a hint of pity for Harry and Ron... well, Harry was sure he could hear jealousy in Ron's ‘Good for you!' He had no time to ponder over his best friend's annoying pettiness, so he dismissed it.

"Keep me a place at the table," he asked them and hurried to Luna. She gave him her dreamy smile and Harry's heart stopped beating for a second. She was so... so... There were actually no words for it. She was Luna.

Harry spontaneously gave her a hug and kissed her on the mouth. "I missed you," he murmured. Instantly, he blushed and released her. It was rather presumptuous of him, as they never kissed before. Harry was probably supposed to wait for her to kiss him first, he guessed.  Boys were supposed not to press girls into anything, right? He wondered if there was a book for this.

Luna smiled at him, not annoyed in the slightest, Harry found with relief. "I wish you had been looking for Misty Fairies with us," she said. "I'm sure we would have managed to take more than just one picture of them," she added sadly.

Harry would help her to take pictures of mountain trolls if it meant they could spend the summer together. "Here, look!" He fished the bell from his pocket, hopeful that a present would cheer Luna up. "Present for your mum's birthday."

Harry went into the Great Hall alone, in an odd, melancholic mood. Luna had been so taken up with the gift that she had refused to be convinced otherwise and went to her dormitory to ring for her mum. Harry was glad his gift was so well liked, but felt a strange feeling of guilt. How different this was from Mirror of Erised? An uncertain pang of jealousy was added in the mixture of his feelings; he had found himself wishing he remembered his mum as much as Luna did hers.

***

"Your progress is too slow," Severus grumbled at the end of the first Occlumency lesson of the school year. He led his student out of his study and into the living room. "Sit down in the armchair."

Harry obeyed him and sat down rather heavily. He didn't say anything.

Severus summoned a House-elf and ordered a fruit salad and a cup of hot cocoa for Harry and coffee for himself. "Have you managed to keep out of trouble so far?" he asked his ward. It was only three days into the school year but one never knew with a Potter.

Harry nodded and accepted the steaming hot chocolate from Severus. He seemed to be over-tired, Severus noticed. A talk about bed time was in order, probably. Important matters first, though.

"Have you stayed out of Pomatia's hair?" he probed. Given his ward's history with Defence teachers, Severus had fervently hoped that, for at least once in his life, Potter obeyed his orders.

Harry nodded again, somewhat glumly. "Ron hasn't, though," he admitted. "How dangerous is he exactly?"

"His parents died in a rather suspicious manner," Severus said silkily, voice full of insinuations. Harry choked on his drink.

"You're having me on," the boy half said, his tone halfway between a statement and a question. Severus raised his eyebrow in a meaningful manner.

"Oh, crap," Harry groaned. "Do you think he'll try to kill Ron?"

Severus smirked in amusement. Gryffindors were always so ready to be over-dramatic. "I seriously doubt it. Mr. Weasley should watch his back, though. He shouldn't go anywhere alone." Severus paused to push the bowl full of fruit towards Harry. "It's just as well, as I don't want you to go anywhere alone either."

Harry quickly swallowed a strawberry and objected indignantly, "I left him alone, alright? I even didn't say anything when he prattled about how great a job the Ministry of Magic was doing in fighting Voldemort." The brat actually sounded proud of himself for his restraint.

"Watch your tone," Severus warned. "There are quite a few students possibly walking in their parents' footsteps, who would welcome the opportunity to get into better graces with the Dark Lord by harming you or helping to kidnap you."

"Oh," his ward muttered and Severus didn't even bother to roll his eyes.

"Do I need to add that you will be much safer if you spend more time in the library and the common room, and stop wandering the school at nights?" Severus asked rhetorically. He gritted his teeth when he saw Harry's uninterested shrug. This admonishment obviously was ineffective because it had been used too many times on Potter. Fortunately, Gryffindors were easy to manipulate through their friends.

"There is no need to make Pomatia's work any easier, handing him weapons against Mr. Weasley. So, for your friend's sake, you should keep him in line." There, now he'd set the cat among the pigeons. It should work.

It worked. The boy stopped devouring the fruit salad and glanced at Severus. "Yeah, I guess we should lay low," Harry agreed and then hastily continued, "Not as if we ever wandered at nights that much." Severus' face must have shown his scepticism, as his ward added, "Really."

Severus left it without comment. "When you are finished," he glanced at the nearly empty bowl, "I want you to read the first chapter of the Potion textbook before you go back to your common room." Severus summoned the book in question from the work-table, where he had prepared it, and laid it before Harry.

"Why?" the boy asked, sounding difficult.

"Your performance reflects on me," Severus informed him tersely. The brat rolled his eyes. Severus' temper flared. "You will do your best to keep up with your classmates, who, I might add, made it in for their first try."

Upon seeing the boy's hurt expression, he amended, "You simply need to apply yourself more. I know you have potential to do well in Potions, otherwise I wouldn't have taken you in."

"Into you class or into the guardianship?" Harry asked in icy sarcasm, turning his hurt feelings into anger as quickly as only teenagers could. "I promise to do my best. I wouldn't want you to dump me in a ditch, would I, because I failed a Potions test!"

Severus clenched his fists and then forced himself to relax. He wished he could shake the brat until his bones rattled. "Just read the chapter," he said in a forcedly calm voice and left the room to wash his face with cold water. Why did he agree to this, again? Why hadn't he opted for living in hiding, alone and reclusive, devoting all of his spare time to his potions research?

When Severus got back, Harry was reading his schoolbook diligently. The boy only gave him a short - slightly nervous - glance and continued studying. Severus opened his own book and immersed himself in reading.

Severus looked up, hearing Harry to clear his throat. "Er- I finished the chapter, sir," the boy said nervously.

"Off with you, then," he dismissed the teenager, his voice cold. Severus didn't feel like tolerating any cheek from the boy.

"Good night," Harry said softly. He lingered by the door for a moment. "Thank you for the fruit, sir." And he was gone.

Severus sighed. This was going to be a long year.

***

Harry was walking to yet another Occlumency lesson. He was getting them four times a week - on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays - tonight it was the tenth one. The lessons were no longer the nightmare they used to be last year, but they still were unpleasant and very taxing. With Quidditch practices on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings, Harry was left with little time and energy for doing homework or dating Luna. Well, dating, Harry frowned. He wasn't sure he could call it "dating".

He and Luna talked a bit, but she had never kissed him. Harry was waiting for her to show some signs that she wished to be kissed, but Luna had never given any. Or if she had, Harry hadn't recognised them. Of course, it was hard to meet without other people present - why school seemed to be so over-crowded this year? - and Luna could hardly ask him for a kiss before other students. With one reason or another, he thought bitterly, his relationship with Luna scarcely differed from Harry's relationship with Hermione. That was frustrating.

Harry felt he should do something nice for Luna, something to show her how much he cared about her. But what? Yeah, that, and also when to do it. Between classes, Occlumency - and obligatory meditations - and Quidditch, Harry hardly managed to scribble through his homework. He couldn't slack much, because he was sure his teachers would complain to Snape, and the man was already displeased with Harry for his failure to Occlude.

Harry was getting tired, and it was only third week of classes. Also, Harry already knew all of the stuff they were covering in the classes so far from his summer studying. What would he do after the first or second month, when the topics covered would be new for him? He couldn't imagine going on like this for the rest of the school year.

"Daydreaming, Mr. Potter?" silky voice sounded beside him suddenly and Harry started. "Though judging by your expression, it was rather a nightmarish daydream."

Harry was spared responding, as they reached the door to Snape's quarters. Inside, however, his guardian's tone changed rapidly.

"Are you insane?" Snape hissed at him angrily. "Waltzing though dungeons alone and absent-minded? I warned you that the school may not be safe for you any longer. Do you ever listen?"

Snape's voice gradually rose. Harry frowned. He hated being shouted at and he was getting angry too - though he had to admit that Snape had a point. Harry realised he didn't want to argue. Snape would win anyway; and also, it felt like too much effort to make on Friday evening, especially before an Occlumency séance. 

"I'm sorry," he said to his guardian. "Would you stop shouting at me, please?"

It stopped Snape. The man looked at him, taken aback. After a pause, he said, "Just remember what I've said, if you please." Harry tiredly nodded. Of course, he would remember each and every of the thousands of rules and orders Snape had thrown over him. The man really loved rules.

"On second thought, I should better walk you to these lessons," his guardian continued pensively. "We will start earlier, just after dinner, so we will walk together from the Great Hall. Afterwards, I will accompany you out of the dungeons."

Harry couldn't believe it. The man was actively trying to piss him off; there was no other explanation. Maybe Snape wanted him to be off-balance before their started with Occlumency? Yes, that must be it, Harry decided hopefully. No way he would let himself be accompanied everywhere like a pre-preparatory school kid.

"Sure," Harry agreed amicably, "why not make a complete idiot of me by walking me on a leash?"

Snape's lips thinned. "I'm concerned with your safety, you insufferable brat! To throw it back in my face is the best you can do? Your regular trips here are a perfect occasion for an ambush, so don't you dare to be rude at me for trying to protect your sorry hide."

That made Harry ashamed. His shame mixed with anger made him to turn offensive. "Yeah?  So, what if I'm concerned with your safety too, Snape? People around me keep dying, if you hadn't noticed."

For the second time in this absurd conversation, Snape seemed to be caught speechless. Harry took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

"Come to the living room," Snape said finally. "I think we will skip the lesson tonight. Don't get used to it!" He immediately added in a harder voice, obviously worried that Harry would consider him getting soft. Harry had to suppress a grin, soft Snape, it was a funny idea. His mood suddenly turned lighter - from the sudden lack of Legilimency tonight, mainly.

Harry sat in his armchair and watched Snape ordering a fruit bowl and chocolate for him. Sometimes he thought Snape should get a fruit bat for a pet - definitely an idea for Christmas, Harry decided - the wizard kept stuffing Harry with fruit obsessively, claiming his growing body needed vitamins and fructose. Who was Harry to object? He had certainly never had enough fruit at the Dursleys, an apple if he was lucky; the House-elves, on the other hand, gave him the most wonderful mixture of the best kinds.

Harry relaxed in the armchair and yawned lazily. No Occlumency! How cool was that?

"You look awfully tired," Snape observed and handed him the treat.

Harry quickly filled his mouth with a big piece of pineapple to buy some time. He didn't want to admit that he struggled to manage everything. No doubt, Snape would suggest Harry dropped Quidditch. Or even more likely Snape wouldn't suggest it, but he would outright order his ward to drop the sport. No way Harry would give up his favourite past time!

Harry needed a diversion. He suddenly remembered the question he had wanted to ask his guardian. "Do you think Pomatia would steal Ron's pet? Pig's missing!"

To be continued...
Dangerous October by little-sun
Author's Notes:
This chapter was beta-read by wonderful Jen aka Wellyuthink

Severus relaxed in his armchair, nursing a glass of quality cognac - a present from a graduated Slytherin. She had passed her Potions NEWT with an Outstanding mark two years ago, and Severus - at her plea - continued to guide her via letters in her home self-studies. This summer she had managed to get a very prestigious position - her dream job - in the famous Canadian Potions laboratories. For these few successful students of his, Severus felt his work at Hogwarts made sense. A thank-you bottle of quality alcohol was just the cherry on top of the sundae.

If only every student knew what job they wanted to get after their graduation, and studied accordingly. The vast majority of the nerds just kept meandering through their subjects carelessly, lacking will, brain capacity, or talent to excel. As Harry did, for example, Severus sighed. He had hoped that with the proper amount of studying Harry could be reasonably competent in Potions - as Lily had been. However, even thought the boy was appropriately preparing for his lessons now - Severus had seen to that - he was still below average. It was rather frustrating for Severus to watch his sloppy ward producing so-far-from-perfect concoctions class after class. Severus would like to give the boy some extra lessons, but there was no time for them in Harry's schedule.

Severus frowned. Maybe the boy would be more attentive to his brewing if it weren't for Pomatia.

Weasley's pet owl had never been found, and the red-head boy was accordingly moody. Harry was furious on Weasley's behalf, as it didn't go well with his Gryffindor sense of fair game to attack a harmless animal. Of course, there was no proof or even one single hint that it was Pomatia's doing, but Severus had hardly any doubts about the culprit - especially after another handful of accidents had happened.

Only last week, Harry reported to Severus that a Gryffindor - Seamus Finnegan - had been unjustly accused of stealing from various other students. After a Defence lesson, Pomatia had forcibly gone through Seamus' bag - claiming that he had been informed by a student about Seamus' kleptomania - and found nonsense things as pens, ties, shawls and even a hairbrush - all of which belonged to other students - in Finnegan's bag. It was completely ridiculous, of course, but it still ended up with the boy being put on probation. Severus had to agree with his furious ward, Finnegan was hardly the right kind to suffer from kleptomania; the boisterous boy was much more likely to make faces or smart comments about the Defence teacher and thus provoke Pomatia's wrath.

Gryffindors, as Severus knew, weren't the only ones at odds with the Defence teacher. A seventh year, linguistically-strong Ravenclaw, Anita Boilcattle, had reacted with laughter when hearing the Defence teacher's name during the welcoming feast. The girl had got locked in a classroom the following Friday, and she was found three days later - on Monday morning - bound and silenced with a spell, without her wand and without memories about how she had gotten there. Severus gritted his teeth, remembering how awfully distressed the teen had been, even after having been dosed with a strong calming potion. It wasn't exactly a murder attempt, as Pomatia had had to know that the classroom would be opened on Monday - it was not as if anything pointed to Pomatia being the one to blame, of course - but who else? Miss Boilcattle was a descendant of a family which had been magical for several generations, a family that had stayed politically neutral, formed mostly of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. She certainly wasn't a typical Death-Eaters' target.

Another Ravenclaw had dared to correct Pomatia during one of his lessons - some detail about an inventor of a jinx, Severus was told - and he had fallen down a staircase the night after. He was still in the Hospital wing.

Another Ravenclaw lost his pet - a cat -without a trace, similarly to Weasley's owl.

Severus knew it was very likely there were even more cases of smaller acts of vindictiveness which he hadn't heard about. There were an unusually high number of complicated pimple-rash cases this school year, which might or might not be connected to the Defence teacher. Then there were way too many ‘lost' homework essays among Gryffindors - though one never knew with Gryffindors; maybe there were especially lazy this year?

Albus, who was busy with the approaching war, had been deaf to Severus' warnings.

"There's no proof it is Helix's doing, Severus, you have said so yourself," the Headmaster had opposed, adding one of his favourite quotes about innocence until proved guilty. Albus had refused to do anything to find any proof about who was to blame, however, and he even pointed out that he had often turned a blind eye on Severus' treatment of his students, 'having faith in you that you will find your way eventually, Severus'.

There was nothing he could say to that, of course. It stung, as Severus never did anything that could have endangered a student's life. However, Severus knew all too well that his own performance as a teacher sometimes bordered on verbal abuse, so he stayed silent.

He was reluctant to try to solve the situation by himself, without Albus' support. At the same time, however, he was also afraid that sooner or later Pomatia might actually kill a student - intentionally or not - and Severus would blame himself for it.

Another part of his nervousness sprang from the uneasy knowledge that Gryffindor students weren't very likely to bear such a teacher forever. They would eventually have a rebellion and Severus had the dark suspicion that his ward would be standing at the head of it.

After some pondering, Severus decided to try to approach Minerva. Her House was, after all, one of the most persecuted - Slytherins, on Severus' strict orders, were lying low; and Hufflepuffs, well, were Hufflepuffs.

Yes, Severus nodded to himself. As soon as a suitable moment came, he would have a chat with the fierce Scottish witch.

***

"Did you see the look in his eyes?" Hermione all but squealed on their way from the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. "What will I do now?"

She was asking them for the fourth time already, and Harry still didn't know the answer. She had just opposed Pomatia in class - a part of Harry was glad that she had, because otherwise it would have been he, Harry, who would have stopped the idiot from continuing to say such ridiculous crap. It would have consequences, of course, Snape would chew him up and Hedwig would be in danger.

"Crookshanks!" Harry blurted. Hermione turned to him in panic; and he added in a spurt of inspiration, "We should send him to Ron's mum; I bet she wouldn't mind having him for this school year. Well," he added optimistically, "maybe Pomatia won't even last for so long."

"Sure," Ron agreed readily, "Mum'll love to have someone to take care of. And we'll guard you, so that Pomatia can't attack you."

"He can try to attack me!" Hermione said fiercely and shook her head in an indisputably challenging manner. "He can try!"

Harry looked at her in awe. He wouldn't stand against her for all gold in his vault. She was like a lioness prepared to fight, furious and determined. Harry remembered the spring in their third year when Hermione's hand sent Malfoy down with his face bleeding. The thought suddenly crossed his mind that Ron unknowingly had found himself a girlfriend very similar to his own mother.

Hermione's sharp brain moved on immediately. "Do you think Professor McGonagall will let me Floo Crookshanks to the Burrow?"

***

"For God's sake, Minerva, do you really believe Finnegan has started stealing girls' hairbrushes and other garbage?" Severus asked exasperatedly. He was trying to persuade the witch that Pomatia was a dangerous person to have at the school staff, but she refused to believe in the man's petty vindictiveness. Merlin save us all from Gryffindors' naivety!

Minerva paused. "Well," she admitted hesitantly, "whilst I think that teenagers get cases of rash every year, whether it be more or less of them; and that pets sometimes - sadly - go missing, I have hard time to believe that Seamus would do such a thing."

"Don't forget Miss Boilcattle," Severus reminded her silkily, "it's been over a month since the attack and she is still on calming potions and has to take the Dreamless Sleep potion every night. I don't know how it influences her performance in your class, but I have lost one of the most competent brewers of her year."

Minerva's face turned white with fury. "If you prove that it was Pomatia's doing," she hissed like a furious cat, "or prove anyone else guilty, I swear I'll hex them until they wish they were never born!"

That's the spirit! Severus thought, satisfied. "If I find the culprit," he assured the witch easily, "I won't forget to invite you to scratch their eyes out. For now, I suggest we watch out for Pomatia's next sins. Once we catch him in action, we can squeeze the truth from him." Secretly, he wished he could interrogate the bastard without letting him to strike again first. Severus knew, however, that Minerva wouldn't let that happen - her sense of ‘fair play' was in the way.

Before Minerva could answer him, someone knocked on the door. At her call, Severus stood back and watched his ward and his two best friends enter Minerva's office. Granger had a rather big, ginger-coloured cat in her arms and she appeared on the verge of tears. Weasley and Harry had several large boxes in their hands.

"What is the meaning of this?" Minerva asked bemusedly. "Miss Granger, is something wrong with your cat?"

The big animal didn't appear ill or hurt, or even scared to Severus. It looked curiously around the office, sniffling the air with interest.

"Please, Professor, may I send Crookshanks to Mrs. Weasley through your Floo? I think he may be in danger here," Granger pleaded, and she hugged the cat harder. The animal had had enough of being squeezed and he wriggled out of the girl's arms and jumped on the floor gracefully.

"Why he should be in danger?" the Head of Gryffindor asked exasperatedly, and she obtained a rather incoherent explanation in two voices. Granger and Weasley, each over the top of the other, explained that the girl had accused Pomatia of being wrong earlier today, and now she was afraid it was just a matter of time before he struck.

Minerva shot Severus an accusing look. She apparently blamed him for spreading panic via Harry. She tried - to no avail - to persuade the Golden Trio that Pomatia may have been falsely accused of misplacing the lost pets.

Severus stepped in before he would be forced to witness a discussion on the old topic. "Minerva, if I may... Regardless of whether Professor Pomatia is dangerous to the cat or not, I don't see a reason why not to send him to Molly. She will certainly be happy to have something to mother."

Granger gave him a grateful look, whilst Minerva and Weasley looked at him as if he had grown a second head. Harry just nodded, unfazed; for him the animal-friendly Severus was nothing new. The cat ignored them all, he just paused his exploration of the office, contemplating the potential of the huge hibiscus tree next the window.

"Very well," Minerva agreed after the smallest hesitation, and motioned towards the fireplace.

Granger moved forward and the boys followed her, their hands full.

"What is in the boxes?" Minerva added, paying the attention to the luggage for the first time. Severus had been wondering about the contents since the students had entered.

"Oh, it's just Crookshanks' cat food and treats, his hairbrushes, his toys and scratching boards, and his bed," Granger explained dismissively as she went to retrieve the cat, who had started to feast on the huge red hibiscus blossoms.

Severus' eyebrow quirked up, and Harry grinned at him, nodding in a way that said 'no kidding'. Severus shook his head in disbelief and his ward's smile spread wider. Severus decided that if given a choice, he would be born as a Gryffindor's pet in the next life.

A few minutes later, the cat and its multiple belongings had been sent to the Burrow and the Weasley matriarch had been repeatedly assured that all of her children - in blood and ‘surrogated', both - were all right. Minerva still looked disapproving on the whole matter, but her face softened when Granger thanked her sincerely for helping ‘the endangered, helpless cat' - a phrase that left the two boys grinning at each other.

Severus noticed that the Head of Gryffindor was about to dismiss the trio, and he intervened quickly, "Before you three leave... I would like to hear, Miss Granger, what exactly you said to Pom- Professor Pomatia." Severus decided to ignore Harry's snicker at Severus' near-mistake.

The girl coloured. "Eh- " she hesitated, "I told him that something he said was a lie."

"The most stupid, big, fat lie she had ever heard," Weasley mumbled to Harry, who nodded.

"Was it an exact quotation, Mr. Weasley?" Severus asked, trying hard not to show his amusement. Granger and Weasley turned red.

Minerva raised her eyebrows at Severus. Her ears apparently hadn't managed to catch Weasley's mumbling. Then the witch evidently decided that accusing a teacher of lying was wrong enough. In a highly disapproving tone she asked, "I would like to hear what exactly Professor Pomatia said that you felt the need to accuse him of lying, Miss Granger?"

"He said horrible lies about the first war against You-Know-Who," Granger answered, getting angry at remembering it. Severus had the urge to roll his eyes. Pomatia was sent by the Ministry. The Ministry kept lying. How can she get angry about it after some six weeks into the school year? But of course, she was a Gryffindor. Even the ten thousandth repetition of the lie would anger her again.

"He said Muggles and Muggleborns were dim-witted and thus inferior to pureblood wizards," Harry elaborated, "and that after learning about our superiority, they often committed suicide."

"He- he said many of Death-Eaters' victims during the first were actually felo de se!" Granger added furiously. "The Death-Eaters just found their bodies and were falsely accused of murders."

Severus was completely stunned. He remembered Lily's favourite saying, Pigs can fly and fish sing so beautifully.

"Certainly- " Minerva, who was looking as gob smacked as Severus felt, found her voice, "certainly you must have misunderstood."

"Certainly we didn't!" Granger answered sharply. "He said it as clear as rain. Muggles decided to die rather than to live a half-life without magic. Such bullshit!"

"Language, young lady," Severus admonished her, but the rebuke was said with such indifference that it was more than evident that Severus didn't care. Pomatia had crossed too big a river in his eyes, too. Pensively, he added, "Minerva, would you ask Mad Eye, who exactly Pomatia works for at the Ministry? Who has recommended him here?"

"Very well, Severus," the witch agreed, "I will send him a message. You three may leave. And behave yourselves," she admonished with a sharp gaze at Granger.

Severus frowned. There was something else. Something should be considered. Something potentially very important. He tried hard to catch the fleeting thought that was nagging his brain...

"Miss Granger!" he called, just when Weasley's hand reached for the doorknob. From the way the three students jumped in surprise, Severus realised his voice must have been sharp. "Is your parents' home magically warded?"

***

"I'm going to kill him!" Hermione murmured under her breath furiously, over and over again. "I'm going to kill him!"

Harry exchanged a worried look with Ron. What now?

"Let's go to the Room of Requirement to have some privacy," Harry offered hesitantly. "It will be over-crowded in the common room."

His two best friends nodded and they strolled quickly through the corridors to the seventh floor. Hermione's fury made her walk at the pace that Harry usually associated only with Snape. In no time, they reached the place.

"Let me," Harry said and the others nodded again. Harry paced back and forth in front of the wall three times and wished for a very private and calming room, comfy and maybe with five o'clock tea prepared.

They hurried inside, and Harry couldn't stop a grin. The Room was just perfect!

"Tea, anyone?" he offered as they got seated into deep, soft armchairs. After tea and delicious biscuits even Hermione had lost her sharp edge. Now, she appeared more pensively-angry than aggressively-angry to Harry. Still, it was starting to make him nervous. Hermione was usually the peace-maker among them. He glanced at Ron. His best mate was still stuffing himself with the sweets, though, looking too busy eating to divide his attention. Harry felt like rolling his eyes.

"Hermione?" Harry said tentatively. "Are you okay?"

"We have to do something," Hermione informed him instead of answering. "Pomatia is dangerous and we have to stop him."

"How?" Ron asked with his mouth full. His girlfriend gave him a slightly disgusted look, but didn't school him about table manners for once.

"I don't know yet," she admitted, "but I'll start working on planning immediately. Every day missed means another day when he can steal pets or harm students. Or parents!" She added darkly. To Harry's relief, she didn't go back to muttering murder threats.

"We should prove his guilt first," Harry objected. "I mean- we know it's him, but we can never be hundred percent sure until we catch him with his hands bloody. Er- not literally speaking," he added when he noticed Ron turning quite white in the face.

"Maybe he will attack me, after all," Hermione mused. "We can arrange a suitable incident and catch him doing it."

"No!" Ron and Harry objected at the same moment. Neither of them was willing to risk Hermione.

She huffed. "If he wants to attack me, he's going to do it anyway."

"Yes, but we're not going to do anything to provoke the attack or deliberately create a chance for it," Harry said determinedly. He actually tried to use the same kind of commanding voice that Snape used on occasion. He must have been successful to a point, because Hermione grudgingly nodded and didn't argue further.

"We could dose him with Veritaserum," Ron contributed. "He would confess everything and nobody would be at risk by being a decoy."

"Brewing it takes forty-four days," Hermione objected. "It's too long. Not to mention that it's illegal."

"Unlike threatening to kill a teacher," Ron quipped, and stretched out his hand for the last biscuit. Then he shrugged. "I'm just saying that we could brew it and try to work out another plan in the mean time. And if the plan fails, we'll at least have the Veritaserum. Oh, and we'll also have to think up a way how to make Pomatia drink it without giving ourselves away."

It sounded like a good idea to Harry, and he said so, "it's a good strategy, in my opinion. Veritaserum will be our back up plan. We have to really make sure we don't get caught, though, because Snape would kill me. Or worse."

"All right," Hermione agreed, "but prepare to sacrifice all your money for it. We'll have to buy several ingredients, all of which are rare and costly."

Ron made a face. Before he was forced to admit that he had only a few sickles - something that he would find shameful to confess, even though both Harry and Hermione knew and didn't mind that the Weasleys weren't rich - Harry said, "I think we have a problem."

Two pairs of curious eyes turned to him and he explained, "I don't have any change this year. Snape bought me Withdrawal parchments, and he, as my guardian, can check what I bought."

Ron looked envious, and Hermione furrowed her brows. "It works like a combination of checks and credit cards, right?"

Harry shrugged. He didn't know how exactly the Muggle system of checks and cards worked in detail, as he had never had any Muggle money, cash or otherwise. "I guess," he answered, "you've got a stack of spelled parchments from the Goblins, that you give or send to sellers with your demand. The seller adds the price - the parchment prevents them from writing a larger price than he sells the goods for - and the parchment spells itself to Gringotts."

Hermione asked pensively, "I suppose the parchment has some anti-forgery protection?"

"Yeah," Harry confirmed, "Snape said it checks if the signature is authentic and legitimate to the vault." He shrugged unhappily. "It sounds neat, but you can't buy anything anonymously."

"You can make a withdrawal from Gringotts," Ron pointed out, his voice tense. Harry didn't know why Ron never understood that Harry would happily exchange his gold for a nice childhood and parents like Weasleys any day of the week.

"Snape would want to know what I withdrew it for." Harry shook his head dejectedly.

"Hogsmeade spendings?" Ron offered. The Hogsmeade weekend, first this school year, was planned on the next weekend.

Harry shared a short version of the lecture he had got from his guardian about being a spendthrift. Ron was laughing madly when Harry finished, his fit of jealousy fortunately gone, and even Hermione smiled a bit.

"That rules out Veritaserum," Hermione summed it. "So, we need to find a swift and foolproof plan."

***

"Do you really think Pomatia would try to attack the Grangers?" Minerva asked on their way to the Apparition spot, later that evening. They were going to visit the Grangers, to strengthen the magical wards on their household.

"It's a possibility," Severus shrugged, and then he added in a voice overflowing with disdain for the man, "or I should say it's a possibility that the coward will send someone to attack the Grangers."

"You do realise that we may be on the wrong trail entirely, suspecting Helix Pomatia of every bad thing that has happened lately, don't you?" Minerva asked, her voice thick with rhetoric.

Severus nodded grudgingly. "I do. However, Granger has been Potter's best friend since their first year at Hogwarts, which is a reason enough to get their house warded. I can't believe Albus haven't taken care of it, especially after the Dark Lord was reborn."

"He has a lot on his mind," Minerva defended the old wizard, like Severus had known she would. "It was prudent of Miss Granger to ask Nymphadora to create wards this summer," Minerva added with pride.

Severus nodded; he had to admit that Granger was cleverer than most Gryffindors usually came. "She would do well in Ravenclaw," he commented; it was the best that could ever be said about any Gryffindor in Severus' books.

"And it was quite Slytherin to keep from her parents how dangerous our world became last year," he said, reminding Minerva of Grangers' confession. Minerva chuckled. Severus realised with relief that the witch had apparently managed to get over her displeasure about Harry's guardianship.

The Grangers made a good impression on Severus. They were rational, clever, and cultivated. Though both Muggles, their only issue with the world of magic was their inability to protect and support their only daughter. David Granger especially failed to conceal his frustration over it. He was one of those men programmed by nature to make taking care of his wife and progeny his top priority. Severus could identify with these tendencies; he would be the same - if only he had a family to protect.

Minerva briefly explained the danger they were in from magical blood-purists that were attacking Muggleborns or their families, and the need to ward the house - fortunately, the Grangers' dentist consulting room was inside the house, which meant they would be protected for almost the whole day - and Minerva then presented them with Portkeys keyed to her own home.

"If the house is attacked, don't waste a second. Take these golden keys and say 'safety'. You will be transferred immediately into my home, where my husband will help you," she instructed. "He rarely leaves the house; he is a scholar, buried in books both day and night."

The Grangers took the portkeys gratefully; and Helen Granger asked once again, if Hogwarts castle was really the safest place their daughter could be.

"I just wish we could pick up Hermione and leave for Australia or Canada. To start a new life in safety," Helen said wistfully. "But she wouldn't agree, she's too stubborn, she always has been." David put his arm around her shoulder in silent support. Severus and Minerva looked at them sympathetically.

"What a nice people," Minerva commented to Severus when they were heading back to Hogwarts.  "If only all Muggles were this supportive of their magical children."

Severus nodded. He was feeling envious. Envious of Hermione Granger for having such perfect parents; envious of David Granger for having such a perfect little family. Something that Severus would never have.

"They certainly didn't seem to despair over their lack of magic to the point of planning a suicide," he told the witch sarcastically. "Maybe you could talk to Albus about Pomatia's weird curriculum and the opinions shared with the students. He wouldn't listen to me."

***

Harry was lying in his bed, determined not to think about Luna and her lovely hair that had been decorated with small, colourful butterflies earlier today to match Luna's shoes.

Harry wished there were no classes and lessons, and no Pomatia to worry about. He just wanted to have time to spend with Luna, to enjoy her easy-going presence. He sighed.

Using all of his will, Harry turned his thoughts to Pomatia. They needed a plan to stop the man. A good, foolproof plan. Harry pursed his lips. Save from hexing the teacher, Harry couldn't find and viable idea.

Suddenly, Harry wondered if Snape would provide Veritaserum, if they asked him to. He might even have a brilliant idea of how to administer it to the Defence teacher. No, Harry decided, that was silly. Snape would never go for it. Or would he?

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1784