One Chance Is All You Need by fishie11
Summary: Snape is dying in the Shrieking Shack when the unexpected happens.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 5542 Read: 15634 Published: 28 Mar 2009 Updated: 27 Sep 2010
Getting Into a Routine by fishie11
Author's Notes:
Sorry its been so long since I've updated. My computer that has my story on it hasn't worked properly for about a year now. I don't know how often I'll be updating but here is two chapters.

Dear Harry,I looked over your essay and it was pretty good. I made a few changes to it and fixed some incorrect information. My summer has been pretty good so far. My parents are taking me to The United States next week to see Washington D.C.. I'm pretty excited it should be fun and I hope to learn loads. How has your summer been so far? Remember that you can always talk to me if you need too. Love,Hermione 

Harry wrote her back right away. 

Dear Hermione,Thanks again for looking over my essay and fixing it. Have fun in the United States. I remember learning about it before going to Hogwarts; I wanted to move there once I got old enough to leave the Dursley's. My summer is going alright, nothing too exciting though. Thanks for being a great friend Hermione. It's nice to know that I have friends that care about me. From,Harry 

He then read Ron's letter. 

Harry,Hey mate! How's your summer going so far? Not letting that greasy git get to you are you? Fred and George's joke shop is amazing! We'll have to go to it when you come here. We'll have to play some Quidditch too because Fred and George got me a Nimbus 2003 for my birthday and I've been dying to try it out in a match. I can't wait until you get to come here. Any chance of you getting to come early?  Ron 

Harry wrote Ron back immediately too. 

Ron,My summer has been alright, but nothing to exciting. The "greasy git" is being less of a git than normal if you can imagine that. I can't wait to see the joke shop; they are very inventive. You got a Nimbus 2003?! That’s cool. What did you do with the broom you got last year for being made Prefect? Do you like your new broom? I don’t think there's any chance of me coming earlier than planned but we won't be waiting much longer. Harry 

Harry fed both Hedwig and Pig. He then gave them the letters and they flew off. Harry laid down and dozed off. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the week passed incredibly fast and the one day Harry was dreading was approaching. Saturday night Harry went to bed early so he would be sure to wake up in time to have breakfast before having potions lessons. He finally fell asleep, which took a very long time. He woke up early and had a big breakfast. Harry was nervous about his potions lessons. He went down to the library where they had their Occlumency lessons and dueling lessons, but it looked completely different- more like the dungeons of Hogwarts. Suddenly, Snape appeared. 

"Today, Mr. Potter, you will begin brewing a polyjuice potion. But you already know how to do it , right?" He said as he walked into the library. 

"No, sir, I have never brewed a polyjuice potion before." 

"What you mean to say is that Ms. Granger did all the work, correct?" 

"I don’t know what you are talking about, sir." 

"Potter don’t try to play stupid with me. I know everything that goes on around that school. I know that you, Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger brewed a polyjuice potion during your second year to get into the Slytherin common room to find out who the heir of Slytherin was. I also know that Ms. Granger accidentally used a cat hair and was changed into a cat. Any ingredients that you will need are in the closet over there. You may now begin." Snape said, smirking. 

Trying to not look at all surprised at that fact that Snape knew Harry responded, "Yes, sir." 

Harry got to work straight away. Remembering second year he knew that it was a difficult potion to brew, but he was determined to prove to Snape that he was good enough at potions to be in his N.E.W.T. class. He gathered all of the ingredients from the closet- lacewing flies, leeches, powdered bicorn horn, knot grass, fluxweed (picked at full moon), and shredded boomslang skin. He began to stew the lacewing flies, for they had to be stewed for 21 days. He powdered the bicorn horn and shredded the boomslang skin. Then Snape reappeared. 

"That is enough for today Mr. Potter. I'm sure you have some homework you should be doing." said Snape. 

"Yes, sir." Harry said, then he extinguished the flame beneath his cauldron and went upstairs to work on his potions homework.

He was determined to do really well on it. The first assignment was a 30 inch essay on antidotes. He reread the chapter on antidotes in his potions textbook and read a book about them that Hermione had lent him to help him on his essay. After about two hours, Harry was satisfied with his work. He reread it to made sure it made sense and owled it to Hermione, asking her to make corrections where necessary. To tired to do any more work, Harry went to sleep. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Harry woke up early the next morning and added a few ingredients to his polyjuice potion. After he did that he went upstairs and ate the breakfast that was waiting for him. He then realized that it was Monday which meant another day of his favorite- Occlumency. This day would be the first time this summer that Snape would attempt to enter his mind. He had read eight of the ten chapters in  Occlumency: A Beginners Guide and had practiced every night for the passed week, but he was still nervous. He worked on a Transfiguration essay for Professor McGonagall. He worked until dinner on the essay.  

He walked downstairs for dinner and found Snape already sitting at the table. They ate dinner in silence. After dinner they went to downstairs to the library where Harry had spent some of his time reading the books on Occlumency.  

"Now Potter we are going to see if reading that book has done you any good. Legilimens!"  

Uncle Vernon grabbed Harry by the collar of his shirt as he was screaming at him. "I swear I have no idea how that happened Uncle Ver-" Harry was cut off by his uncle throwing him into the cupboard. His uncle locked the door as Harry started to cry. 

The scene changed suddenly. Harry and Cedric were in the maze and grabbed the portkey cup together. They arrived in the grave yard of Voldemort's father. Wormtail comes out of nowhere carrying something small and kills Cedric. 

The scene changed again. They're fighting in the Department of Mysteries. Bellatrix Lestrange throws the Killing Curse at Sirius and Harry watches as he fall behind the veil, still smiling. Snape pulled out of Harry's head.

"Are you even trying Potter?" 

"Yes. I am trying… sir." Harry said bitterly. 

"Well you need to try harder Potter. Legilimens." 

Aunt Marge's dog was at the bottom of the tree barking furiously at Harry. The Dursleys and Aunt Marge laughed for hours as Harry sat in the tree scared out of his mind before Marge finally called him off. 

Using all of his mental strength Harry attempted to push Snape out of his mind. As Harry focused on doing so, Snape was sent flying across the room.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1795