One Chance Is All You Need by fishie11
Summary: Snape is dying in the Shrieking Shack when the unexpected happens.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 5542 Read: 15640 Published: 28 Mar 2009 Updated: 27 Sep 2010
Mr. Potter by fishie11

Once Snape got over the shock of being thrown against the wall and got to his feet, he walked back towards Harry. "Potter the book clearly stated that it is unnecessary to use magic to force a person out of your head. Now tell me- what spell was that? The one you just used.." 

"But, I didn’t use a spell sir." 

"Then explain to me how I was thrown across the room! Did I do it myself?"

 "I can't explain it sir- it just sort of happened I guess." 

"Oh 'it just happened'" Snape said, mockingly. "Let's see of it just happens again. Legilimens!"

 More prepared for this attack on his mind than the others, Harry braced himself and concentrated on keeping Snape from entering his mind. This time Snape saw a blurry memory of Harry sitting in his "room" before he was once again violently thrown against the wall. 

"Explain yourself now Potter." Snape snarled.  

"Like I said before sir- I have no idea how or why this is happening. I'm just concentrating on keeping you out of my mind and then you end up hitting the wall." 

"Potter- this is not supposed to happen. This is not normal." 

"What's new? Nothing about me is normal." 

"You are always so difficult Potter. I'm taking you to the Headmaster to see what he thinks of this." 

They walked into the kitchen and quickly flooed to Hogwarts, to Dumbledore's office. When they appeared, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk. 

"Harry, Severus- what is the meaning of this unexpected visit?" Dumbledore asked. 

"Well its difficult to explain sir… It would probably just be best if I showed you." Harry said, then looked at Snape.  

"Oh no Potter. I'm not going to do that again. Perhaps the Headmaster should give it a try." 

"Give what a try, Severus?" 

"Attempt to penetrate the boy's mind Headmaster." Snape said. 

"I don’t know what that will accomplish but if you insist. Legilimens!" Dumbledore was violently thrown back but was prevented from hitting anything because of Snape's cushioning charm.  

"Well it seems that no one will be able to penetrate Harry's mind. How did this happen so fast?" Dumbledore asked. 

"That’s a good question and I believe that Mr. Potter here knows the answer." Snape replied. 

"Honestly, sir. I have no idea why it happened. Like I told Snape- it just did." Harry answered. 

"I believe you Harry. I think that Harry, much like you Severus, is a natural Occlumens and it just took him a little more time to discover his ability. Voldemort, or anyone else for that matter, should not be able to penetrate your mind any longer Harry." 

"That’s good. It’s the whole reason I've been taking Occlumency lessons from Sn- Professor Snape." 

"Yes Harry. That is correct however you will need to continue to work on your dueling and potions skills for the next week. Professor Snape will then decide if you will be admitted into his potions class. After the week is up you will be allowed to visit your friends at the Burrow and you will remain there for the rest of the summer and I shall see you when school begins. If you need anything before then, feel free to owl me." Dumbledore told Harry. 

"Yes sir. Thank you." Harry responded. "Severus I would like a word with you. Harry you can return to Grimmauld Place." 

Harry flooed back to Grimmauld Place as Dumbledore walked over to his desk. He opened and drawer and pulled out a rather small case. He opened the case, and inside it was the ring. 

"Is this the ring that you warned me about earlier? "asked Dumbledore slowly. 

"Indeed."Snape replied. 

"I believe that I will need your assistance to destroy it. Will you get Gryffindor's Sword out of its case?" 

Snape got the sword without saying anything and gave it to Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked from the sword to the ring to Snape. He stabbed the ring. Then a burst of green light shot out of it and it appeared to die. 

"Well you only have a week before Harry will be going to the Burrow. I hope you can make the most of that. I see no reason to continue his Occlumency lessons so that should leave you with plenty of time to work on Harry's potion-making skills."  

"Yes of course." 

"Good bye, Severus." Snape merely grunted in response, grabbed a handful of Floo powder, stepped into the fire place and said, "Number 12 Grimmauld Place." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he got back to where he had been staying, he called Kreacher (who had been told by Harry to listen to Snape as he would Harry). 

"I need you to find me Slytherin's locket and bring into me."Snape told Kreacher. 

"Yes of course." Kreacher said then mumbled under his breath, "filthy half-blood, what would Kreacher's mistress think of this? 

Snape went into the library, where Harry's polyjuice potion was brewing. Harry, however, was no where to be seen. Since all of his ingredients were here he decided to start on a potion to destroy the locket. It took several hours, and it was very early in the morning when Snape finally finished the potion. Not long before he finished the potion, Kreacher had returned with the locket. Snape put the locket into the potion. It was to sit there for 24 hours. After 24 hours the Horcrux would be destroyed and the locket would be perfectly fine.  Satisfied with the days work, Snape decided to go to bed.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next week went by alarmingly fast for both Harry and Snape. Harry's polyjuice potion was nearly perfect but , of course, Snape managed to find something wrong with it. Harry also managed to brew some of the more difficult potions they had brewed in class as fifth years. All of those potions turned out very well, to Snape's surprise. Harry was pretty sure that he had done good enough to get into Snape's N.E.W.T. class. Snape told Harry that he would find out sometime next week while he was at the Burrow. Harry finished packing and went into the kitchen and had a small breakfast. He knew that Molly Weasley would want to feed him as much as possible the second he arrived. As he finished eating his toast, Snape came into the kitchen.  

"Well I guess this is goodbye, sir." Harry said. 

"It is indeed." Snape replied. 

"Thank you, for, well, everything." Harry said.  

"You're welcome Mr. Potter." And with that Snape grabbed his cup of coffee and left the room. Harry flooed to the Burrow, where the Weasleys were eating breakfast and awaiting Harry's arrival.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1795