One Chance Is All You Need by fishie11
Summary: Snape is dying in the Shrieking Shack when the unexpected happens.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 5542 Read: 15640 Published: 28 Mar 2009 Updated: 27 Sep 2010
Story Notes:

I do not own any of the characters or anything else that you may recognize.

1. Fate by fishie11

2. Condolences by fishie11

3. Returning by fishie11

4. Dueling by fishie11

5. Getting Into a Routine by fishie11

6. Mr. Potter by fishie11

Fate by fishie11

Snape was lying on the floor in the Shrieking Shack, slowly dying. He woke up in an empty room.

"Where am I?" Snape asked.

"You are in the realm of the fates." a voice replied.

"And what exactly am I doing here?" Snape countered.

"We, the fates, have decided to give you a second chance."

"I didn’t realize that the fates were like Albus." Snape snorted.

Ignoring Snape's comment the voice continued. "We have decided to send you back to the end of Harry's fifth year. You will be given the chance to fix some of your mistakes."

"Couldn’t you send me back to my fifth year? That’s when I made the biggest mistake of my life and the others were a result of that."

"We did consider that but if we did that Harry might not exist and we could have an even bigger problem."

"I understand that. Why not back to Harry's first year? Why back to the end of his fifth year?"

"We don’t want to change history too much. Sirius was fated to die that way and we can't change that. Just remember that Harry will be very upset about his godfather and you just refused to continue Occlumency lessons but you need to offer the continue them. Your time here right now is limited. You must listen to me- Dumbledore will understand what has happened but he will not have the information you now possess. Voldemort's horcruxes need to be destroyed and Harry needs your help. Try to be nice to him but try to not appear suspicious. If anyone besides Dumbledore finds out about you being sent back, you will be sent forward again and things will remain the same, but after today's date you can tell people of you want to with consequence."

"But-"

Just as Snape started to say something, he was whirled back in time.

---------

"There you are Severus. Albus wishes to speak with you." said Professor McGonagall.

"Yes, of course. I was just on my way to see him." Snape replied.

Snape briskly walked toward Dumbledore's office. When he arrived he realized that he could not remember the password from two years ago, from now! Snape corrected himself. Then suddenly the Gargoyle staircase sprang to life and Dumbledore walked out.

"Ah. Severus. Just the man I wanted to see." Dumbledore said as he saw Snape.

"Good evening, Dumbledore." Snape said as he followed Dumbledore into his office.

"I don’t know if you're aware, but I do know that you came from the future. The fates told me that they were going to send you back in time to try to change things. The fates rarely do this. I hope they have made the right choice because this is our second and last chance."

"They told me that you would know, but how am I supposed to change things?" Snape questioned.

"You can start by telling me what you know about what is supposed to happen over the next two years." Dumbledore answered.

"Ok. I'll tell you what I know. Just before term starts your going to find a ring and put it on your finger. I'm able to contain the curse, but you only had a year to live. You gave me the Defense against the Dark Arts job. Lucius is sent to Azkaban after the fiasco at the Ministry and to be punished the Dark Lord assigns Draco to kill you but in the end he intends me to do it. You ask me to do it to save Draco's soul and I do. I fled with the rest of the Death Eaters and everyone is convinced of my loyalty to the Dark Lord. The next year I was named Headmaster of the school. Potter and his friends didn’t attend school but in May they came here to find the last of the Dark Lord's horcruxes. There was a huge battle at Hogwarts and the Dark Lord thought it would be best to kill me so he could gain control over the Elder Wand. I gave Potter my memories so he would know of my true allegiance. The Dark Lord then set out to fight Potter. I don’t know if Potter made it or not, but I'm thinking not because the Fates wouldn’t have sent me back if he was successful."

"Okay. So I have to not be tempted by a ring, keep Lucius out of Azkaban, not give you the Defense Against the Dark Arts job, find and destroy the horcruxes and make sure Harry has the knowledge to survive." Dumbledore replied simply.

"It would appear so." Snape said.

"You probably want to get your things together. The end of term feast is tomorrow and I'm fairly certain you aren't packed. I have decided that you will be spending the summer at Headquarters, along with Harry. As you know, he needs your help more than ever."

"Of course Albus. I will see you at the feast."

To be continued...
Condolences by fishie11

Potter,

I need to speak with you in my office before the feast. I will be there all afternoon. Be sure to come.

Professor Snape

That sounds alright, Snape thought to himself. He gave it to an owl and it flew into the distance.

---------

Harry was sitting in his four poster bed when an owl arrived. There was a short note from Snape that said he wanted to talk to Harry. Why would that git want to talk to me? Harry thought to himself. Well I probably should go I don’t want to make him mad at me for no reason. Harry walked out of his room and into the common room.

"Where are you going Harry?" Hermione asked.

"I have to go talk to someone. I'll see you at the feast."

"Who are you going to talk to, mate?" Ron asked.

"I'll tell you at the feast."

And with that the portrait swung open and Harry walked out. He headed toward the dungeon, not sure what to expect from Snape and wondering why Snape wanted to talk to him. He arrived at the door of Snape's office. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Snape answered.

"You wanted to see me Professor?" Harry asked.

"Ah. Yes I did. First I'm extremely sorry to hear about your godfather-"

"You don’t care that he's gone your probably happy. You hated him!" Harry shouted.

"I'm not happy that he is dead but you're right- I did hate him but we were on the same side and all the same I am sorry that he is dead. I know how much he meant to you."

"Since when do you care about me?"

"Since I know what its like to have no one to turn to when you need help. My mother died just before I went to Hogwarts and my dad was a muggle much like your uncle."

"Oh. I'm sorry, sir."

"I don’t want or need your sympathy Potter. Now on to more important matters. Dumbledore would tell you this himself but he is busy right now. You will be spending most of your summer at Headquarters where we will continue Occlumency lessons. However, in July you will be permitted to go to the Burrow to visit the Weasleys."

"Yes, sir but don’t I have to go back to my aunt's house because of the blood protection?"

"You will have to take that up with the Headmaster. He has yet to share that information with me, but I would venture a guess that he feels that there are more important things than the blood protection. We will not only be working on Occlumency, but we will be working on your dueling skills as well." Snape answered.

"Will you be staying at Headquarters as well?"

"Yes, Potter I will be. Now I think its time for you to head down to the feast. You don’t want your friends to worry about you."

Harry left Snape's office and headed towards the Great Hall. He thought about the conversation he had just had with Snape, wondering why he suddenly was being nice. (well not exactly nice but nice for him). Harry arrived at the Great Hall and saw Hermione and Ron already there.

"Where were you, mate?"

Harry mumbled something incoherent.

"We can't understand what you." said Hermione.

"I was in the dungeons, talking to Snape."

"And why were you talking to that greasy git?" Ron asked.

"He sent me a note right after lunch and I figured there was no need to get on his bad side so I went. On the bright side I don’t have to go back to the Dursley's. I get to stay at Headquarters and eventually I'll get to come to the Burrow."

"That’s awesome mate. We can play Quidditch!"

To be continued...
Returning by fishie11

"Bye Harry. I'll miss you. Don’t forget to write!" Hermione demanded.

"Bye Hermione. I'll miss you too. Don’t worry. I'll write everyday if it makes you happy." Harry answered.

"Bye mate. I'll see you soon. Don’t let that greasy git get to you." said Ron.

"I'll try not to. I can't wait until I get to come to your house." Harry replied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hermione and Ron boarded the Hogwarts Express, without Harry. The whistle blew and the train took off. Harry waved the train off and went back into the castle, where he met Snape.

"We're going to Floo to Headquarters from the Headmaster's office. Make sure you have all of your things." Snape said when he saw Harry.

No sarcastic remark? Harry thought. What's up with him? "Yes, sir." Harry answered and then rechecked his trunk to make sure that he had all of his things. It had just dawned on him that he might never have to see the Dursleys again and he felt considerably better but wasn’t looking forward to spending his summer with Snape, in his dead godfather's house. But Snape seems to be acting a lot nicer than usual, maybe he really does feel bad about Sirius. I wish Sirius was here then at least I would have someone to talk to all summer.

 

"Its time to go Potter. Get your things and bring them up to the Headmasters office. I will meet you there in ten minutes. Don’t be late." said Snape.

Snape headed toward the dungeons to get his things. Harry grab his trunk and headed to the Headmaster's office. He said the password "Lemon Drop" and walked in. Dumbledore didn’t appear to be there. Looking around he started remember the last time he was in here. It was in here that he found out about the prophecy and before that destroyed many of Dumbledore's things. Dumbledore and Snape walked in at the same time.

"It's time for the two of you to be going. If you need anything feel free to owl me." Dumbledore said.

"Goodbye Albus." Snape said. Then stepped into the fireplace. "Number 12 Grimmauld Place!"

"Goodbye Professor."

"Goodbye Harry. Remember that Professor Snape is there to help you."

"Yes, sir. Number 12 Grimmauld Place!" And the next thing Harry knew he was at the last place he wanted to be next to the Dursleys with a someone as bad, though in a different way, as them.

Harry looked around but didn’t see Snape. He figured that Snape was probably in his room sleeping, brewing a potion, or grading exams. He then realized how tired he was. Yawning, he pulled his trunk up to the room he and Ron had shared at the end of last summer. He laid down on the bed and was soon fast asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Snape was in his room grading sixth and seventh year exams. He finished considerably early since there were few to grade. After all only those who got Outstandings on their O.W.L.s were usually accepted into his N.E.W.T. classes. He decided to go to bed early, tomorrow they would be restarting the Occlumency lessons and he knew that was going to be stressful but he had  to do it or the Fates would have been wrong about trusting him to change the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry woke up the next morning and went downstairs to the kitchen to find Snape already there. Also Dobby was there.

"Good morning master Harry Potter sir! What is you wanting for breakfast sir? Dobby can be making whatever you is wanting!" Dobby said.

"I'll have some toast and orange juice please Dobby." Harry answered.

"There's no need to be polite to a house elf Potter." said Snape.

"He saved my life second year. How could I not be polite to him?"

"I saved your life first year and yet you are hardly polite to me."

"I'll start working on that straight away, sir." Harry said, somewhat sarcastically.

They ate in silence for a few minutes. Harry picked up a copy of the Daily Prophet and started reading it. There was an article on Voldemort's latest attack. The night before Voldemort had attack a muggle family; they were all tortured and then killed.

Finally Snape spoke, "We will begin Occlumency tonight. We will work on that every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday we will work on your dueling skills. Sundays will be for improving your potion skills."

"Potions?"Harry asked.

"You want to be an Auror right?" Snape replied.

"Yeah but I don’t think I'll be able to take potions next year."Harry said, trying to not sound to disappointed.

"And why is that?"

"I doubt I got an O on my O.W.L."

"You don’t have to get an O. I have had many students with Es in my class before."

"But I thought you only let people who get Os in your N.E.W.T classes?"

"Normally I do but if a student doesn’t do well on their exams, sometimes their parents come talk to me and as long as the student is a good one I will let them continue taking my class."

"Oh. So these Sundays will be like a test to see if you think I'm good enough to be in your N.E.W.T class?"

"Basically, yes."

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry about the long wait. Hopefully it won't happen again.
Dueling by fishie11

This Monday night was the start of Harry's Occlumency lessons. He wasn’t particularly dreading it but he definitely was not looking forward to doing it. Snape always told him to close his mind or his mind would be easy for the Dark Lord to look into.

"Potter it is time to begin your Occlumency lessons, once again." Snape said as he entered the kitchen.

"I have a question." Harry said.

"Go ahead and ask, but I don’t promise any answers."

"How am I supposed to do Occlumency. All through the school year you told me to close my mind but you never told me how. How am I supposed to do something I have no idea how to do?" Harry asked.

"That is a valid question. Occlumency came easy to me, I never truly had to learn how to do it. Seeing as our lessons failed miserably before, I purchased a few books for you that we help in your Occlumency, potions and dueling. Accio books."

Five books came flying across the room. The top one was titled Occlumency: A Beginners Guide, the next one was Advanced Occlumency: For the Skilled Occlumen, the next one was All About Potions, the next one was Hexes and Curse, and the last was Dueling 101.

"Tonight I simply want you to read the first two chapters in Occlumency: A Beginners Guide we will discuss what you read on Wednesday. Start reading."

Harry opened the book to the first chapter and started reading.

Chapter 1: What is Occlumency?

Occlumency is the ability or skill to prevent others from penetrating the mind. The skilled Occlumen will be able to Occlude others from their mind without appearing to do so. For many people this skill comes naturally but others have to be taught.

The text continued to talk about Occlumency and what skilled Occlumens could do. After finishing chapter one he moved on to chapter two.

Chapter 2: What is the Purpose of Occlumency?

Occlumency allows you to hide thoughts, emotions, and memories from other people. Occlumency is generally used to keep things from people who have a tendency to go into other people's minds.

Well that really told me something I didn’t know. Harry thought bitterly. What was the point in reading that? I just wasted an hour of my time.

Harry looked at the clock, just now realizing how late it was getting. He went upstairs to his room and fell asleep.

--------

While Harry was sound asleep, Snape was in his room pacing. He wasn’t sure what he could do to best help Harry. He decided to ask Dumbledore the next day. Even after deciding this he still couldn’t sleep. He was thinking about what had happened before he was sent back to this time. He had looked into Lily's eyes one last time before he thought he was going to die. He could never look at Harry without thinking about Lily, or worse James. Will he ever see Harry for the person that he is? Could he ever learn to care for Harry like he once did for Lily? Will he be able to change the course of the future? Finally with none of these questions answered or problems solved, Snape slowly drifted into a deep sleep.

-------

Harry didn’t wake up until lunch time on Tuesday. He woke up and looked at the clock. Oh wow I slept late today. I should probably do some of my homework. Harry sat up and grabbed his History of Magic Book. He looked at his assignment-  write a twelve inch essay on the Goblin Rebellions of the 1600's. I am definitely not taking this class next year. I don’t need it to become an Auror. He opened his book and started reading. After about it hour he finished his essay and sent it off to Hermione, asking her to proofread it and change anything that isn't right.

He went downstairs for dinner and Snape was not there. There was food on the table and he ate. When he finished eating Snape walked into the room.

"I want you to read the first chapter in the dueling book, then come downstairs to the library and we will do some dueling practice." said Snape.

"Yes, sir." Harry replied.

Harry opened the Dueling 101 book and began reading. In a duel, the most important thing is to protect yourself. Defensive spells generally aren't hard to learn, but have been known to save lives. You should use offensive spells mainly when you catch your opponent off guard. Shields are the most important types of defensive magic. A list of shield spells can be found on page R2; the purpose of each spell is listed next to it. He finished reading and proceeded down the stairs and into the library.

"That was fast Potter. We'll start off with a simple duel only jinxes can be used."

"Okay, sir."

They dueled for what Harry thought was hours. When they finally finished, they were both exhausted and covered in sweat. They silently walked up the stairs and into the kitchen and got water.

"That wasn’t bad for a first time, but you have a lot of work to do." Snape said finally.

"Yes, sir." Harry said. "Thanks."

"You're thanking me why?" Snape asked.

"Oh, nothing its stupid."

"What is it Potter?"

"I, uh, well, I think that is the first time you've ever complimented anything that I've done."

"Ah, I see. Well, stranger things have happened." And with that Snape walked out of the room and Harry just sat there amazed at what had just happened.

Harry, extremely exhausted, walked up to his room and found two letters. One was from Ron and the other from Hermione.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope this makes up for the extremely long wait.
Getting Into a Routine by fishie11
Author's Notes:
Sorry its been so long since I've updated. My computer that has my story on it hasn't worked properly for about a year now. I don't know how often I'll be updating but here is two chapters.

Dear Harry,I looked over your essay and it was pretty good. I made a few changes to it and fixed some incorrect information. My summer has been pretty good so far. My parents are taking me to The United States next week to see Washington D.C.. I'm pretty excited it should be fun and I hope to learn loads. How has your summer been so far? Remember that you can always talk to me if you need too. Love,Hermione 

Harry wrote her back right away. 

Dear Hermione,Thanks again for looking over my essay and fixing it. Have fun in the United States. I remember learning about it before going to Hogwarts; I wanted to move there once I got old enough to leave the Dursley's. My summer is going alright, nothing too exciting though. Thanks for being a great friend Hermione. It's nice to know that I have friends that care about me. From,Harry 

He then read Ron's letter. 

Harry,Hey mate! How's your summer going so far? Not letting that greasy git get to you are you? Fred and George's joke shop is amazing! We'll have to go to it when you come here. We'll have to play some Quidditch too because Fred and George got me a Nimbus 2003 for my birthday and I've been dying to try it out in a match. I can't wait until you get to come here. Any chance of you getting to come early?  Ron 

Harry wrote Ron back immediately too. 

Ron,My summer has been alright, but nothing to exciting. The "greasy git" is being less of a git than normal if you can imagine that. I can't wait to see the joke shop; they are very inventive. You got a Nimbus 2003?! That’s cool. What did you do with the broom you got last year for being made Prefect? Do you like your new broom? I don’t think there's any chance of me coming earlier than planned but we won't be waiting much longer. Harry 

Harry fed both Hedwig and Pig. He then gave them the letters and they flew off. Harry laid down and dozed off. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the week passed incredibly fast and the one day Harry was dreading was approaching. Saturday night Harry went to bed early so he would be sure to wake up in time to have breakfast before having potions lessons. He finally fell asleep, which took a very long time. He woke up early and had a big breakfast. Harry was nervous about his potions lessons. He went down to the library where they had their Occlumency lessons and dueling lessons, but it looked completely different- more like the dungeons of Hogwarts. Suddenly, Snape appeared. 

"Today, Mr. Potter, you will begin brewing a polyjuice potion. But you already know how to do it , right?" He said as he walked into the library. 

"No, sir, I have never brewed a polyjuice potion before." 

"What you mean to say is that Ms. Granger did all the work, correct?" 

"I don’t know what you are talking about, sir." 

"Potter don’t try to play stupid with me. I know everything that goes on around that school. I know that you, Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger brewed a polyjuice potion during your second year to get into the Slytherin common room to find out who the heir of Slytherin was. I also know that Ms. Granger accidentally used a cat hair and was changed into a cat. Any ingredients that you will need are in the closet over there. You may now begin." Snape said, smirking. 

Trying to not look at all surprised at that fact that Snape knew Harry responded, "Yes, sir." 

Harry got to work straight away. Remembering second year he knew that it was a difficult potion to brew, but he was determined to prove to Snape that he was good enough at potions to be in his N.E.W.T. class. He gathered all of the ingredients from the closet- lacewing flies, leeches, powdered bicorn horn, knot grass, fluxweed (picked at full moon), and shredded boomslang skin. He began to stew the lacewing flies, for they had to be stewed for 21 days. He powdered the bicorn horn and shredded the boomslang skin. Then Snape reappeared. 

"That is enough for today Mr. Potter. I'm sure you have some homework you should be doing." said Snape. 

"Yes, sir." Harry said, then he extinguished the flame beneath his cauldron and went upstairs to work on his potions homework.

He was determined to do really well on it. The first assignment was a 30 inch essay on antidotes. He reread the chapter on antidotes in his potions textbook and read a book about them that Hermione had lent him to help him on his essay. After about two hours, Harry was satisfied with his work. He reread it to made sure it made sense and owled it to Hermione, asking her to make corrections where necessary. To tired to do any more work, Harry went to sleep. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Harry woke up early the next morning and added a few ingredients to his polyjuice potion. After he did that he went upstairs and ate the breakfast that was waiting for him. He then realized that it was Monday which meant another day of his favorite- Occlumency. This day would be the first time this summer that Snape would attempt to enter his mind. He had read eight of the ten chapters in  Occlumency: A Beginners Guide and had practiced every night for the passed week, but he was still nervous. He worked on a Transfiguration essay for Professor McGonagall. He worked until dinner on the essay.  

He walked downstairs for dinner and found Snape already sitting at the table. They ate dinner in silence. After dinner they went to downstairs to the library where Harry had spent some of his time reading the books on Occlumency.  

"Now Potter we are going to see if reading that book has done you any good. Legilimens!"  

Uncle Vernon grabbed Harry by the collar of his shirt as he was screaming at him. "I swear I have no idea how that happened Uncle Ver-" Harry was cut off by his uncle throwing him into the cupboard. His uncle locked the door as Harry started to cry. 

The scene changed suddenly. Harry and Cedric were in the maze and grabbed the portkey cup together. They arrived in the grave yard of Voldemort's father. Wormtail comes out of nowhere carrying something small and kills Cedric. 

The scene changed again. They're fighting in the Department of Mysteries. Bellatrix Lestrange throws the Killing Curse at Sirius and Harry watches as he fall behind the veil, still smiling. Snape pulled out of Harry's head.

"Are you even trying Potter?" 

"Yes. I am trying… sir." Harry said bitterly. 

"Well you need to try harder Potter. Legilimens." 

Aunt Marge's dog was at the bottom of the tree barking furiously at Harry. The Dursleys and Aunt Marge laughed for hours as Harry sat in the tree scared out of his mind before Marge finally called him off. 

Using all of his mental strength Harry attempted to push Snape out of his mind. As Harry focused on doing so, Snape was sent flying across the room.

To be continued...
Mr. Potter by fishie11

Once Snape got over the shock of being thrown against the wall and got to his feet, he walked back towards Harry. "Potter the book clearly stated that it is unnecessary to use magic to force a person out of your head. Now tell me- what spell was that? The one you just used.." 

"But, I didn’t use a spell sir." 

"Then explain to me how I was thrown across the room! Did I do it myself?"

 "I can't explain it sir- it just sort of happened I guess." 

"Oh 'it just happened'" Snape said, mockingly. "Let's see of it just happens again. Legilimens!"

 More prepared for this attack on his mind than the others, Harry braced himself and concentrated on keeping Snape from entering his mind. This time Snape saw a blurry memory of Harry sitting in his "room" before he was once again violently thrown against the wall. 

"Explain yourself now Potter." Snape snarled.  

"Like I said before sir- I have no idea how or why this is happening. I'm just concentrating on keeping you out of my mind and then you end up hitting the wall." 

"Potter- this is not supposed to happen. This is not normal." 

"What's new? Nothing about me is normal." 

"You are always so difficult Potter. I'm taking you to the Headmaster to see what he thinks of this." 

They walked into the kitchen and quickly flooed to Hogwarts, to Dumbledore's office. When they appeared, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk. 

"Harry, Severus- what is the meaning of this unexpected visit?" Dumbledore asked. 

"Well its difficult to explain sir… It would probably just be best if I showed you." Harry said, then looked at Snape.  

"Oh no Potter. I'm not going to do that again. Perhaps the Headmaster should give it a try." 

"Give what a try, Severus?" 

"Attempt to penetrate the boy's mind Headmaster." Snape said. 

"I don’t know what that will accomplish but if you insist. Legilimens!" Dumbledore was violently thrown back but was prevented from hitting anything because of Snape's cushioning charm.  

"Well it seems that no one will be able to penetrate Harry's mind. How did this happen so fast?" Dumbledore asked. 

"That’s a good question and I believe that Mr. Potter here knows the answer." Snape replied. 

"Honestly, sir. I have no idea why it happened. Like I told Snape- it just did." Harry answered. 

"I believe you Harry. I think that Harry, much like you Severus, is a natural Occlumens and it just took him a little more time to discover his ability. Voldemort, or anyone else for that matter, should not be able to penetrate your mind any longer Harry." 

"That’s good. It’s the whole reason I've been taking Occlumency lessons from Sn- Professor Snape." 

"Yes Harry. That is correct however you will need to continue to work on your dueling and potions skills for the next week. Professor Snape will then decide if you will be admitted into his potions class. After the week is up you will be allowed to visit your friends at the Burrow and you will remain there for the rest of the summer and I shall see you when school begins. If you need anything before then, feel free to owl me." Dumbledore told Harry. 

"Yes sir. Thank you." Harry responded. "Severus I would like a word with you. Harry you can return to Grimmauld Place." 

Harry flooed back to Grimmauld Place as Dumbledore walked over to his desk. He opened and drawer and pulled out a rather small case. He opened the case, and inside it was the ring. 

"Is this the ring that you warned me about earlier? "asked Dumbledore slowly. 

"Indeed."Snape replied. 

"I believe that I will need your assistance to destroy it. Will you get Gryffindor's Sword out of its case?" 

Snape got the sword without saying anything and gave it to Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked from the sword to the ring to Snape. He stabbed the ring. Then a burst of green light shot out of it and it appeared to die. 

"Well you only have a week before Harry will be going to the Burrow. I hope you can make the most of that. I see no reason to continue his Occlumency lessons so that should leave you with plenty of time to work on Harry's potion-making skills."  

"Yes of course." 

"Good bye, Severus." Snape merely grunted in response, grabbed a handful of Floo powder, stepped into the fire place and said, "Number 12 Grimmauld Place." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he got back to where he had been staying, he called Kreacher (who had been told by Harry to listen to Snape as he would Harry). 

"I need you to find me Slytherin's locket and bring into me."Snape told Kreacher. 

"Yes of course." Kreacher said then mumbled under his breath, "filthy half-blood, what would Kreacher's mistress think of this? 

Snape went into the library, where Harry's polyjuice potion was brewing. Harry, however, was no where to be seen. Since all of his ingredients were here he decided to start on a potion to destroy the locket. It took several hours, and it was very early in the morning when Snape finally finished the potion. Not long before he finished the potion, Kreacher had returned with the locket. Snape put the locket into the potion. It was to sit there for 24 hours. After 24 hours the Horcrux would be destroyed and the locket would be perfectly fine.  Satisfied with the days work, Snape decided to go to bed.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next week went by alarmingly fast for both Harry and Snape. Harry's polyjuice potion was nearly perfect but , of course, Snape managed to find something wrong with it. Harry also managed to brew some of the more difficult potions they had brewed in class as fifth years. All of those potions turned out very well, to Snape's surprise. Harry was pretty sure that he had done good enough to get into Snape's N.E.W.T. class. Snape told Harry that he would find out sometime next week while he was at the Burrow. Harry finished packing and went into the kitchen and had a small breakfast. He knew that Molly Weasley would want to feed him as much as possible the second he arrived. As he finished eating his toast, Snape came into the kitchen.  

"Well I guess this is goodbye, sir." Harry said. 

"It is indeed." Snape replied. 

"Thank you, for, well, everything." Harry said.  

"You're welcome Mr. Potter." And with that Snape grabbed his cup of coffee and left the room. Harry flooed to the Burrow, where the Weasleys were eating breakfast and awaiting Harry's arrival.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1795