Lily's Charm: Legacy by Potions and Snitches
Summary: As he makes the choices that define his life, Harry learns exactly what it means to be Severus' son. Third in the Lily's Charm series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Lily's Charm
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 67378 Read: 75562 Published: 02 Apr 2009 Updated: 17 Jan 2010
Chapter 12: A Kiss is Just a Dagger in Disguise by Potions and Snitches

1997

“When is Tonks coming home?” Harry asked, feeling a little frantic as he bounced his squalling godson.

Remus sighed as he checked the temperature of the feeding supplement in Sirius’ bottle. “She will be home Monday,” he said. He held out his arms for his son, but Harry shook his head and waggled his fingers for the bottle. His face clearing of some of its stress, Remus handed it over.

Harry shifted the baby just as Tonks had showed him yesterday evening while peppering Remus with last minute instructions. Remus sighed with relief as the soft sounds of suckling replaced the harsh crying.

“You’ve got a set of lungs,” Harry said, smiling as Sirius wrapped a small fist around his thumb.

“Takes after his mother,” Remus murmured. “He’s really quite taken with you, isn’t he?”

Harry glanced at Remus, grinning. “He’s my godson, after all.”

Remus smiled and handed Harry a small cloth. Harry settled into the soft chair by the fire. “I can’t believe it’s been almost two months since he was born,” Harry said. “Or that Tonks is already on an assignment. They didn’t waste any time, did they?”

“This one is only temporary, or so Kingsley insisted.” Remus shook his head. “Tonks was happy to take it though,” he said with a sigh. “I don’t think she’ll enjoy office duties.”

“Maybe she’ll decide to continue on with fieldwork instead."

Remus nodded, his eyes on his son. After a moment, he gave his attention back to Harry. “How was your practice this morning?”

Harry noticed the abrupt change in subject and decided he’d tell his dad that Remus could probably do with a chat some late evening after Sirius was down for the night. But for now, all he said was, “Grueling. If I do take on reserve Seeker, I’ll be scraping myself off the dungeon floor.”

Remus’ eyebrows went up. “Are you still thinking of doing that?”

Harry shrugged. “I haven’t ruled it out.”

“I didn’t think your father was keen on the idea.”

“He isn’t,” Harry said. “And he probably would be even less enthused if he heard what I just said,” he added, his lips lifting in a wry smile.

“Probably,” Remus echoed, shaking his head in amusement. “You’re enjoying yourself, though?” he asked.

“Yeah. Especially since the reporters have stopped coming to the pitch every day. There’s always one there from the Prophet but he never says much; just sits and watches the game. He tried to speak with Hermione but she mentioned that she’s quite handy with a wand.” Harry grinned at the memory. “He didn’t bother her again.”

“I imagine not,” Remus said with a chuckle; he stood up then, holding his arms out for Sirius who had just finished the last few drops in his bottle and was fast asleep. Harry transferred him as gently as he could and Remus patted his back expertly. “Be back in a moment,” he murmured.

Harry rested his head against the back of the chair while he waited, thinking he’d better mention that Remus shouldn’t actually repeat that last bit about reserve Seeker. He wasn’t any more decided on the prospect than he had been a week ago, but he wasn’t going to rule it out. His dad on the other hand…

Remus returned a few minutes later, without Sirius. He called for Dobby, who spent more time telling them what a privilege it was to stay with Harry Potter’s godson than it had taken Remus to put the baby down in the first place.

Harry finally managed to assure the house-elf that he’d thanked them enough and he and Remus finally took to the hills, where they stayed for over an hour. And if Harry hadn’t slipped on a loose rock, they would have continued even longer. Harry almost thought Remus would have gone on without him if he hadn’t been concerned that Harry might need assistance.

“Are you certain you’re all right?” Remus asked as they walked slowly through the front entrance.

“Doesn’t hurt much any longer,” Harry said, with a shrug. He smiled when Remus turned to follow him into the dungeons. “Voldemort’s dead, remember? I don’t need an escort.”

Remus shook his head, a smile on his face as well. “Sure you can make it on your own?” he asked, looking amused and it took Harry a moment to realize he was referring to his ankle.

“Sirius won’t know what to do with such an old mother hen for a dad,” Harry teased.

“You’ll have something to bond over then,” Remus retorted and Harry chuckled.

“Thanks for the run,” he said before Remus turned away. Remus clapped his sweaty shoulder, murmuring his own gratitude before continuing on toward his quarters.

“What happened?” Severus demanded as soon as Harry stepped into the classroom a few minutes later. Harry stared at him in confusion, halting as his father came toward him. “Did you fall?”

“What? Oh.” Harry shrugged. “I twisted my ankle. I’m all right.”

“You’re limping,” Severus said, taking Harry’s bicep and maneuvering him toward a chair. Harry sighed and carefully took off his trainer and sock. “I do not feel any breaks,” Severus murmured as his fingers probed; he performed a diagnostic as well. “It does not seem serious, but I will ask Margaret to look at it in a moment,” he said as he straightened.

“Margaret’s here?”

“Yes,” Severus said with a quick nod. “Did you sustain any other injuries?”

Harry shook his head. “I didn’t know Margaret was visiting today.”

“Neither did I. We were going over some of her notes for the healing potions we discussed in Daniel’s shop. She was just about to leave.”

Margaret appeared from the potions store then. She frowned when she saw Severus kneeling in front of Harry on the floor. “Are you all right, Harry?”

“He twisted his ankle,” Severus answered before Harry could. “I can detect no broken bones.”

“May I?” Margaret asked, though she asked Harry instead of Severus. When he nodded, she came over, taking Severus’ place as he stood. She felt the ankle as Severus had and performed two diagnostics. “A Strengthening Potion should suffice,” she said. “It isn’t sprained.”

Severus nodded and went to fetch the potion. Harry made a face as he drank it. “Thanks,” he said anyway.

“You’re very welcome,” Margaret said as she smiled. “It will make you drowsy. If it's still bothering you this evening, take another dose. Your father can contact me in the morning if you still aren’t walking normally."

"All right," Harry agreed.

“Thank you,” Severus said as well.

“And thank you for the Basilisk scales,” Margaret said, holding up the flask of crushed scales.

“We have an ample supply,” Severus told her, glancing at Harry. Margaret’s smile that time made Harry wonder just how much his father had shared with the healer.

Harry rested his head on his folded arms while his father collected Margaret’s deep maroon traveling cloak from his office, though he started to rise once Severus handed it to her.

“Don’t get up, Harry,” Margaret said as she fastened the little clasp. “That potion is rather draining. And you should rest your ankle.”

“Thanks,” Harry said and put his head down again; a nap sounded like a capital idea. Margaret smiled at him and then at Severus as he held the door open for her. Harry listened to them exchanging farewells and something more about potions with half an ear, his brain beginning to feel muzzy.

He blinked a few times when he heard the door closing, yawning widely. His father’s footsteps came closer and Harry closed his eyes. “I like Margaret,” he murmured.

Long fingers brushed through his hair. “Do you?” Severus’ deep voice was full of amusement. “Perhaps we should return to our quarters.”

Harry mumbled something that even he wasn’t sure was an agreement or not. His father’s rumbling response sounded like a chuckle.

--

Severus looked up from the flasks he was carefully labeling when Harry groaned.

“Your tables are hard,” he grumbled when he raised his head.

“You have a habit of sleeping in the oddest places,” Severus replied and Harry smiled as he rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. “And I did attempt to insist you move to your bedroom.

“You attempted?” Harry echoed with a smirk. “You’re getting soft.”

Severus snorted softly. “So it would seem. Next time I will I set you to scrubbing cauldrons in your sleep until you obey.”

Harry stretched, his easy smile not leaving his face. “What time is it?”

“Nearly five o’clock.”

“Already?”

“You have dinner plans with Hermione in an hour.”

“Yeah.” Harry was already standing. He flexed his ankle and Severus raised his eyebrows. “Feels all right.”

“Where are you taking Hermione?” Severus asked, putting his quill down and sending the newly-labeled flasks into the cupboard.

“Just The Three Broomsticks. She wants to be home early since the Cup match is tomorrow.”

Severus gestured for Harry to go ahead of him into the corridor. “She is aware that Draco is sitting with us?” he asked.

“She wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the prospect but she’s bored enough that even Draco seems like good company,” Harry explained; he smiled at the amused glint in his father’s eyes.

“You and Hermione have spent a significant amount of time together during the last week,” Severus commented as they wound their way downward.

“Not much else to do.”

“I’m surprised she has not pursued an internship at the Ministry,” Severus mused, allowing the melancholy statement to pass. Just as well, Harry thought. Dwelling on the fact that without Hermione he’d have only his dad and Remus for company was much too depressing.

“No one has asked her to,” Harry said; he was still irritated about that. He had meant it when he’d told Hermione that she was far more deserving of such an opportunity than he was.

Severus’ eyebrows rose and he stopped walking. “If Hermione is interested in a position, it is quite permissible for her to pursue one on her own.”

“It is?”

“Certainly,” Severus said with a quick nod. “My own apprenticeship with Daniel was only secured because I wrote to him after reading one of his pieces in a journal.”

Harry pursed his lips. “Well, why didn’t anyone tell Hermione that she could do that?”

“It is generally considered the duty of a student’s Head of House to ensure all students are aware of their opportunities,” Severus explained. “It is not too late, however. Albus could most certainly arrange something on her behalf.”

“He would, do you think?” Harry asked eagerly.

“I see no reason he would not,” Severus said. “Albus has always been fond of your friends, you realize.”

Harry nodded, though really he’d never thought much about the headmaster’s feelings about Hermione and Ron. “I’ll mention it to her this evening,” Harry said with a grin. He knew Hermione would like the idea, and not simply because it would take her mind off everything else.

“You’re eating with the rest of the staff, yeah?” Harry asked when they resumed walking.

“Professor Flitwick left this morning. Albus is the only other staff member here at the moment.”

“Oh,” Harry said with a frown. “But you’re you’ll have dinner with Remus, right?”

Severus smiled as he opened the door to their quarters. “You need not worry about how I will keep myself entertained when you aren’t here,” he said. “But yes,” he added when Harry opened his mouth to protest, “Lupin and I are joining the headmaster for dinner.”

“Good,” Harry said as he moved toward his bedroom, sparing a pat for Levi as his familiar perched on his shoulder. “Oh,” he said, turning as an afterthought, “Remus needs someone to talk to, I think. So…”

Severus raised an eyebrow. “And you are his coordinator?”

“Yep,” Harry said, ignoring the sarcasm. “I think he’s unhappy that Tonks took that assignment with Shacklebolt.”

“I see…”

“So if you’re having dinner with him any-”

“Harry,” Severus interrupted with a raised eyebrow, “do you really believe that Lupin intended you and I to converse about this subject?”

“Er…”

“Precisely,” Severus concluded for him. “Now unless you wish to be late, I suggest you shower and get dressed and leave Lupin’s personal affairs to Lupin.”

Harry sighed. Somehow, he’d known his father would say that. He was right, of course, no matter how much Harry hated to see his friend unhappy. He pushed thoughts of Remus aside for the moment and showered and dressed quickly.

“Mind if I use your shaving balm?” he called down the corridor after he’d finished with his Shaving Charm. He started when his father came up behind him.

“I did not realize this dinner with Hermione was quite so formal,” he said, reaching over Harry’s shoulder to pluck a small flask of the thin cream he brewed himself.

“It’s not,” Harry said, his eyebrows scrunching up as he gazed at his father’s reflection. “I overdid the charm a bit, and it’s chafing.”

Severus stepped aside and took his chin, tilting it so that he could study Harry’s raw cheeks. “A little too much force behind the swish,” he concluded. He released Harry’s chin. “Soothing Salve will work better. In my lab,” he said and Harry followed him, smoothing his shirt as he did.

Harry sighed as the salve cooled the fiery burn. “Thanks.”

Severus nodded as he sent the jar back to its spot in the cupboard. “You will be home before dark, I assume?”

“Early night,” Harry assured him.

“And you need no reminders about how to conduct yourself?”

Harry smiled. “Don’t think so.”

“Very well, then,” his father said, with just a hint of a smile.

The Floo flared and Hermione smiled at both of them as she stepped out. “Good evening, Professor. Hi Harry.”

“Hi,” Harry said, grinning. Severus greeted her as well.

Harry held open the door for her, turning back to his father before following. “Don’t do anything too exhausting while I’m out,” Harry said as he opened the door. “It’s been awhile since we’ve had a round of chess.”

“An excellent idea.”

Harry smiled. “Have fun with Remus and Dumbledore.”

“It shall be the highlight of my summer,” Severus drawled. Harry laughed and with another smile, he ducked into the corridor. He told Hermione what his father had said about an internship as soon as they were alone.

Hermione clasped her hands together, her face lighting up. “Do you really think Dumbledore would do that for me?”

“Dumbledore knows just as well as anyone how smart you are. Why shouldn’t he help you?” Harry didn’t want to mention that his father had implied that the headmaster would help because Hermione was the Chosen One’s friend.

Hermione gripped Harry’s forearm in excitement as they went down the wide steps to the lawn. “I’ll write him a letter in the morning.” She shook her head, her brown hair tumbling all over. “I don’t even know what department I’m interested in... The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures,” she said firmly a moment later.

Harry grinned. “Well that certainly didn’t take long.”

Instead of looking sheepish, Hermione’s steps became lighter. “This is wonderful, Harry. Absolutely wonderful. My parents will be so excited. And can you imagine everything I can learn? That department controls everything to do with magical creatures … even house-elves. Just think of how I might be able to help!”

“You’ll be running the Department by summer’s end,” Harry said, chuckling at her enthusiasm. “If they ask me to run for Minister again, I’ll send them to you instead.”

Hermione laughed and they continued down the lane to Hogsmeade, both of them grinning.

--

“Wine?” Severus asked after he and Remus had left the headmaster’s office and reconvened in Severus’ quarters; Dobby had taken a sleeping Sirius back to his quarters after the main course. Severus poured for both of them and handed one of the glasses to Remus. The other man accepted with a sigh as he relaxed in one of the chairs.

“I had no idea that babies could cry quite so loudly,” he said. “Or that they did so all day.”

“You no longer wonder why Tonks wished to take Kingsley’s assignment, I take it?” Severus asked, smirking just a little.

“I’m half-tempted to take one myself,” Remus murmured into the dark liquid. “And yes, of course I do understand her accepting the assignment,” he said after he’d swallowed some. “It’s selfish of me to wish she wouldn’t.”

“Perhaps.”

Remus gazed at him briefly before smiling. “I know perfectly well that you believe it's Tonks’ decision that is selfish. Even if I couldn’t it read it all over face.”

Severus probably should have been offended, but he simply shrugged. “I do know very well what it means to risk your life when a child is involved.”

Remus nodded, no longer smiling. “Your risks were an effort to save your child though; and your wife. It wasn’t frivolity.”

“Being in the Auror service is not a frivolity,” Severus said evenly. “And your wife is highly skilled in her line of work.”

“I won’t deny that,” Remus said, his features set in hard angles. “I’ve seen her working. But anyone can take her place on any given assignment, Severus. She’s the only one who can be Sirius’ mother.”

If Remus was looking for an argument on that point, he certainly wouldn’t get one from Severus, but before Severus could say as much, the Floo opened. Both men stared at their red-haired guest.

“Erm … hello, sir…”

Remus found his voice first. “Good evening, Ron.”

“Hi Professor,” Ron said quietly. To Severus he said, “May I … er … come through?”

Only just realizing that he was gaping like a fish, Severus stepped back and gestured for him to enter.

“My, er … brother … George, that is. He’d like to come through as well.”

“Unless you come through first,” Severus said, unable to stop the sneer completely, “your brother will not be able to follow.”

“Uh, right sir.” Ron’s face darkened with his embarrassment as he stepped completely from the flames. Severus adjusted the Floo to allow George and the elder Weasley stepped through. George spent the first few seconds with eyes darting around the room, attempting to take in every recess of his former professor’s chambers. Ron nudged him with an elbow and George cleared his throat.

“Hallo Professor. Oh, and hi Professor,” he added as his eyes fell on Remus.

“Remus,” Lupin corrected with a small smile. “I’m no longer your professor.”

“Right,” George said with a nod. Severus gazed at the freckled faces, his eyes narrowing until a blush blossomed on George’s face as well. “I suppose you’re wondering why we’re here…”

“One would assume you came to speak with Harry,” Severus drawled. When he offered nothing else, George shifted and Ron licked his lips.

“Is he here, sir?” Ron ventured.

“No.”

The brothers glanced at one another and Severus almost took pity on them. Almost.

“Do you … know where he is, sir?” George asked quietly.

“Yes.”

George opened his mouth again but before he could, Ron blurted, “We came to apologize!”

“Indeed,” Severus said, purposely shifting his voice to convey his skepticism.

George frowned. “You have every reason to be angry with us, Professor,” he said, nudging his brother, though Severus had no idea why. “But we really did come to apologize. Fred had to mind the shop or he would have come as well.”

“I was under the impression that Fred had apologized already,” Severus said critically. “And Harry made it plain that the apology was inadequate, did he not?”

“Well,” George said slowly, glancing at Ron and then back again to Severus. “Fred rather thought that Harry wanted Ron to apologize on his own-”

“So you thought you would bring him here to do just that?” Severus folded his arms across his chest and fixed Ron with a hard glare. “Have you no ability to accept responsibility for your own actions then?”

Ron’s neck turned crimson as he visibly struggled for words.

“Professor,” George began, but Severus waved a hand to silence him.

“And neither can you speak for yourself?” he demanded.

Severus could see Remus out of the corner of his eye, frowning, but Severus would be damned if he’d allow any of the Weasleys to hurt Harry again; with the exception of Ginny. Ginny, as far as Severus was concerned, was sacrosanct and with her, he would not interfere.

“Well?” Severus prodded, his own scowl much fiercer than Remus’.

“I…” Ron clenched and unclenched his fingers several times before nodding. “I can speak for myself. I came to apologize.” The words were low and mumbled but for all that, Severus could detect no deception.

Severus studied his son’s dejected friend and finally put his anger aside. “Harry is due back from Hogsmeade within the next thirty minutes. You may wait for him if you wish.”

Ron let out a breath, his entire chest caving in. George patted his shoulder. “Thank you, sir,” he said, sounding even more relieved than Ron looked. “Would it be all right if we waited for him outside?”

Severus waved his hand toward the door. “You can find your way, I assume?” he asked, directing the question at George for the most part; he was well aware of how many times these dark dungeon labyrinths had been used by the twins.

George smiled, a bit of the impish Weasley that Severus had despised for years, showing himself. “I think so, sir.”

Severus nodded curtly. Ron turned back before they reached the door.

“Uh … Harry won’t be missing his curfew or anything if we talk to him?”

Severus had to feign his frown that time. “I believe I might excuse it this once.” He leveled a glare at the redhead. “Provided that there is no mischief.”

“No sir,” Ron said quickly, his face flaming once more. Severus saw George roll his eyes before grabbing his brother’s arm and giving him a shove out into the corridor.

“Thank you, sir,” George added as an afterthought. Severus nodded and the door closed behind them.

“Well, you’ll be pleased to know you haven’t lost your touch,” Remus said, no longer frowning as his lips twitched.

“Harry did mention this morning that I might be getting soft,” Severus said as he finally took a seat opposite Remus.

Remus chuckled. “After seeing that little display I’m fairly certain that that will never happen.”

Severus smirked, though it faded quickly.

Sobering, Remus asked, “Do you think Harry will want to see Ron?”

Twirling the long stem of his wine glass in his fingers, Severus said, “I believe Harry has been ready for some time to forgive him. And perhaps if he does, he will be better able to decide how he wishes to proceed with Ginny.”

Remus nodded. “Sounds silly I suppose,” he said with a fond smile, “but I cannot imagine Harry without her now.”

It didn’t sound silly at all to Severus, but he didn’t answer, instead taking a sip of his wine and focusing for a moment on his shields, fanning them unobtrusively toward Harry’s wisp in case Harry needed support.

--

“This spot is rather peaceful when the tree isn’t trying to kill us,” Harry said as he spread his light cloak over the grass. He gestured for Hermione to choose a spot first and she sighed in contentment as she leaned against the Whomping Willow’s wide trunk.

“It has a nice view of the lake,” she agreed, twisting a little so that Harry could sit beside her. She smiled. “We skipped rocks right there, just a few days after you defeated Voldemort; do you remember?” she asked, pointing to the pebbled stretch of beach in the distance; the horizon was dusted a deep orange. “You and Ron plotted the best way to turn the Minister’s hair into a rainbow…”

Her grin faded away as she swallowed. She stared at her hands, twisting them in her lap. “I really miss him, Harry.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry said awkwardly. When she didn’t respond, he asked, “Why don’t you tell him-”

“I can’t do that,” Hermione said, shaking her head. “All of this was my fault.”

“It wasn’t all-”

“Yes it was, Harry,” she said, her chin lifting a little. “Of course it was. I was the one that snubbed him when I first began to suspect. He tried to talk to me … a dozen times, but I didn’t want to talk about it. And I was so angry when he was so nervous.”

“That’s understandable-”

“Yes,” Hermione agreed. “And it was reasonable that he was so anxious. Seventeen year old boys are not meant to be fathers, especially like that.” She shook her head, her lips rueful now. “Especially not Ron.”

Harry let the words settle before saying quietly, “He would have done what he had to do.”

Hermione turned her face toward him, her lips lifted in sad smile. “I was stupid to doubt that, wasn’t I?”

Harry couldn’t say yes. Hermione nodded, taking his silence for agreement. “I’m sorry about Ginny,” she said quietly. “That’s my fault as well.”

“No it isn’t, Hermione,” Harry said, this time before she could interpret his silence again.

“I was in a muddle when I spoke with her that day,” Hermione continued anyway. “And I know I made her second guess your relationship-”

“Hermione,” Harry interrupted, his voice strained. He didn’t want to talk about this. He’d said enough about Ginny lately. “You aren’t to blame. We both know Ginny well enough to know that she makes her own decisions.”

Hermione drew a deep breath but didn’t contradict him again, though he could clearly see the pain in her eyes.

“You should tell Ron this,” he said again when the silence began to gnaw at him.

“I can’t,” Hermione said through a deep, unsteady breath. “Things can’t be the same between us.”

“But you just said you miss him…”

“I do miss him … or rather I miss the old us.”

Harry didn’t believe that things couldn’t be okay between Hermione and Ron. But he realized a second later that maybe he couldn’t believe it because then, wouldn’t the same be true of him and Ginny?

“Oh, Harry,” Hermione said, frowning now, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you relive this awful situation. Don’t pay any attention to me.”

Harry cracked a smile. “You’ve always been a bit difficult to ignore.”

A bit of humor broke through Hermione’s clouded features. She laughed and shook her head. “Well, try anyway,” she said.

“Not a chance,” he told her with a smile. “Who would I talk to then?” He meant to make the question light but it made both of them tense. He almost apologized but Hermione rested her head on his shoulder and without thinking much about it, Harry slipped his arm up around her shoulders, brushing a bit of her curly hair away from her neck as they leaned into the comfort together. They sat like that for a long time, watching the sun sink into the lake.

“It is peaceful here,” she finally murmured and then sighed. “I hate to leave. But if you want me up bright and early for the match…”

“As bright and early as possible,” Harry said. “You have to keep Draco and me company you know, so I don’t want any chance of you falling asleep.”

Hermione wrinkled her nose. “I don’t know why you thought I’d be any help with that prat. He hates me.”

“He’ll pretend to like you though,” Harry said with a smirk; Hermione elbowed him in the ribs. “And you can pretend as well. It’ll be a fine party,” he said in his best snooty voice.

“You’re incorrigible,” she laughed as she straightened. Harry grinned and untangled himself. He pulled her up, steadying her as she swayed a little.

“Too many Butterbeers?” he teased. She shook her head.

“You were the one who had three,” she reminded him tartly.

“I think they put something in the food to make you thirsty,” Harry said seriously, smiling as Hermione’s brown eyes danced.

“Ask your dad to test it the next time you go in.”

Harry smiled. “He’ll think I’ve gone round the twist.”

“You haven’t?”

“Very funny, Hermione.”

She smiled at his scowl and then said seriously, “Thank you, Harry. And don’t ask me for what. Just everything, all right?”

Harry had to force himself not to look away as his cheeks warmed. He hadn’t done anything especially nice to Hermione. He was about to say so, but she hugged him before he could. Relieved, Harry put his arms around her and hugged her tightly.

Hermione pulled her head back a little; she was smiling. The sun was setting behind her, making her features warmer somehow and Harry smiled too. She leaned forward and Harry stilled as her lips pressed against his, soft even through their insistence.

Almost before he realized what was happening, she pulled back with a jerk, her eyes wide. “Harry…” she whispered and then Hermione clamped her fingers over her mouth as her eyes filled with tears. “I’m sorry!” she choked out as she spun away.

“Hermione!” Harry finally found his voice as she crested the hill. “Wait!”

But she didn’t stop and in the next moment, she was gone and Harry was left standing under the Whomping Willow all alone, staring at the divots that Hermione’s frantic feet had made all the way up the grassy hill, his lips still warm from her kiss.

The End.
End Notes:
The next chapter is titled... 'When Harry Met Ginny'.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1798